Barnard Medical Group

02083027721 43 Granville Road , Sidcup, Kent, DA14 4TA

Eugene Fitzsimons gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 3 stars

The attitude of the reception staff.

At this moment in time I am waiting to have two kidney stones removed, and a stent that was put in four weeks ago. Expecting to be admitted back in hospital last week I find out that it's going to be another ten days, so running low on pain killers I ring the doctors surgery up. I explain to reception that I need more pain killers, this was on Thursday morning, I was told to write out a note, explaining what I needed and It would be handed to the doctor and I could pick up prescription in 48 hours, so I handed in the note, writing urgent on the envelope Thursday midday 12.30, to find out Saturday is not included in the 48 hours because it's not a working day even though the surgery is open on a Saturday, so prescription will not be ready until Monday midday. Ok so I will have to deal with having no pain killers on Sunday and Monday morning. I walk in to the surgery Monday midday I ask if my prescription is ready, first reception, " sorry not here maybe it might be ready this afternoon if you handed a note on Thursday and if want to be sure ask one of receptionists on the computers". Ok secound receptionist "no record here of Doctor writing out a prescription for you are sure you handed in a letter in when did you hand it again" I spend another five minutes explaining that the doctor knows all about my case and that I really do need the pain killers. So off they go to get another receptionist this one deals with repeat prescriptions. Ok " sorry your prescription is not ready because the doctor hasn't prescribed these pain killers to you before" but isn't that why I wrote a letter to the doctor on Thursday and I have already given the doctor all the relevant information from the hospital about my case. So has the doctor read my letter " no, I have just put it on their desk and they are due in this afternoon" and when do you think my prescription will be ready " maybe tomorrow " why didn't you give the letter to the doctor on Thursday did you read the letter "yes" so you decide what letters need the attention of the doctor , what is urgent and what is not. No Answer. Let's see what happens tomorrow morning, no wonder so many people walk in to A&E . May I say I have never had a bad experance with any of the Doctors at Barnard Medical Center but the reception staff are awful.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017

Unhelpful receptionists

I'm lucky that I don't have to use my GP very often, but when I do it's a stressful experience. The reception staff are on the whole very rude, and you're made to feel like an inconvenience rather than a person with a health problem. When you can eventually get an appointment the doctors themselves are usually nice, but the experience of having to book an appointment in the first place makes you wonder if it's worth it. Now we can book appointments online it is easier, but mainly because I don't have to suffer the rude reception staff!

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 13 July 2017

Barnard Medical Group replied on 14 July 2017

We are sorry that you found it difficult to book an appointment. Our appointments are available to book up to 4 weeks in advance and available on-line. We also have Telephone triage for emergencies every day. We offer booked telephone appointments and eConsult on-line to give more flexible access to a GP.

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 1 stars

Is this a third world country!?

The practice is awful. Rude receptionists who make you feel guilty for daring to phone. In the past there were great doctors here; not now! On two occasions my wife had to settle for telephone appointments. 1st was concerning our new born baby. The doctor was condescending and dismissive, regrettably our daughter was later diagnosed with a condition that did in fact require treatment! Shame on that dismissive doctor!! 2nd occasion: today my wife phoned and again was only able to get a phone consultation. The doctor (shame doctor as before) phoned back nearly two hours later than scheduled - no apology. My wife explained her condition, the doctor was sarcastic, dismissive and spoke to my wife, who is a well balanced, professional woman as if she was an incompetent hypochondriac. We are now forced to having to pay a private GP so that she can be seen in a reasonable time scale. This is a lousy practice these days with GP's who should perhaps re-visit whether 'caring' for people is actually what they really want to do. in the meantime can the doctors please learn to show empathy and display some sort of kindly bedside manner.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 31 July 2017

A bad experience

I recent booked an appointment over the phone to see a nurse, the person on the phone asked me several time if it was for contraception and I confirmed as many times that it wasn't. When I arrived at the surgery I was told that I didn't have an appointment and it then transpired somebody (who wasn't a nurse) couldn't help me, apparently phoned me to advise and cancelled my visit, but I didn't have any messages. I work in town and had to book time to leave early to get to the appointment, so tried to book another appointment - 2 weeks! Another lady at reception gave me her appointment that was due in 10 minutes so I waited to see the doctor and was very grateful to the other patient. Half an hour later than the booked appointment I went in to see Doctor. There were several things I wanted to discuss and bearing in mind the time it takes to get to see someone (in this case 2 weeks and 45 minutes) but do you know you are only allowed to discuss one thing per appointment? Does everyone else know about this new doctor / surgery policy? Apparently it is so appointments do not over run.......but of course the fact they are still over running probably proves this is not working and then of course because you have not discussed everything additional appointments have to be made...no I am not kidding. So back to reception, an extremely nice receptionist booked me another two appointments, one for a doctor & one for a nurse. I was so lucky, I had second doctors appointment last night with a very nice doctor in the other practice, who was welcoming and attentive. The doctor seemed to think that the ear problem (from first visit) and the cough are connected (ear,nose & throat - makes sense) and so received a second prescription for nose spray and thank you for that. Now I am not medically trained - obviously, or I would need to go through this process, but how do you know what things are linked together? If you are only allowed to ask one question per visit, aren't you in the long run making the surgery more busy? How do you think patients feel knowing that they can only ask 1 question, a little bit rejected, disappointed, frustrated...did they mention the most important thing? There have been a number of changes at the practice (at least 3 doctors have left and an extremely good nurse ) which have resulted in the whole experience being horrendous and frustrating. Do you think these additional appointments add to a persons over all well being? Booking additional time off work makes you feel like a sick note, you are not perceived well from an employers prospective and should not need to answer personal questions after saying you have "another appointment". Your systems , processes need to change and this does not involve un- medically trained people asking you personal questions over the phone or in the middle of reception. This now probably means I will be struck off the books as I notice I have to give my details to submit feedback

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 1 stars

I hope your family are never in need of a proper GP practice

I have not needed an appointment luckily for a couple of years but my partner fell ill earlier this month and I tried to make an appointment for her. This was a complete nightmare. I rang the surgery at 8 am but it took 49 minutes to get through and then I was told that there were no appointments available for that day!
I was asked if it was 'an emergency ' ... well if I knew that I would not need the help of a GP!
I was told if it was not an emergency then I would have to ring back tomorrow but that if it was then the on call GP would ring my partner at some point in the day.
I was made to feel guilty that it may not be an emergency so I agreed to ring the next day. The same scenario happened the next day but then I was worried that my partner was getting worse so I rang again in the late afternoon and was told to take her to hospital!
My own surgery is great and has a walk in every day as well as booked appointments and I have never been disappointed but this system is not only mad but potentially dangerous... my partner is now changing doctors needless to say... as this is avery dangerous situation...

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 26 June 2017

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 1 stars

impossible to get through the the reception by phone!

Getting through to the receptionist by phone has less chance than winning a lottery! When I was calling the number hoping to book an appointment today, after a few minutes wait someone literally lift up and phone and hang up immediately! Trying to call back again and then no one picks up the phone ever!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 10 April 2017

karen gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 5 stars

choices!!!!

I have now been registered at the Barnard Medical Group for 12 years.... this is the second time I have found it necessary to leave a review....not a complaint....the NHS is under extreme pressure ..we all know that ...the Barnard is no different ......I have never found any of the GP's inadequate nor the nursing staff......the reception and administration staff have always been friendly and polite on every occasion I have needed an appointment and indeed I am still always offered a call back if there are no appointments left....the addition of male receptionist has helped greatly when male patients....my husband and sons for example....would rather not speak to a female about their personal problems.....prescription clerks are always available to discuss medication needs .....strange how every review on this site is negative and basically using the same words ....makes one wonder who is actually writing writing these reviews and if they are indeed a genuine opinion of patients registered .....isn't anonymity a wonderful thing. My parents are registered at a surgery where we have to wait 4 weeks for a face to face appoimtment; no bookable appointments in advance ; no on the day call backs ....what more do the people of Sidcup want from a surgery......Karen Ribbons

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 June 2017

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 1 stars

No wonder the NHS is in such a mess!

I find it disgusting and appalling that the surgery will not issue an emergency prescription because the clerk needs to scan a prescription (from a consultant) before they can process it. Then they question the patient who has been ill for four days and in bed why they couldn't bring the prescription earlier.
What was their answer when asked how do you get the medication? Go to urgent care or call an ambulance! How absolutely disgusting. A&E are under pressure as are ucc and no wonder if the advice from a primate Carr service is the advice from a receptionist with no medical training who throughout this discussion was sipping coffee. Professionalism at its finest!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 28 March 2017

Too Many Patient to Provide Safe Patient Care

This practice has the best intentions I am sure but they just do not seem to have the capacity to cope with the number of patients they have. I have been consistently unable to get an appointment when I need one. I am never able to see the same person twice. if you have complex needs this can be very disruptive to your treatment plan. Unless you have the capacity to manage your own care and nag like mad to get things done you could easily slip through a gap in the net at this practice.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

Anonymous gave Barnard Medical Group a rating of 1 stars

Dis-interested doctors and unhelpful reception staff

The doctors at this practice appear disinterested in genuine patient care. There is no continuity of care and no eye contact or empathy from the doctors either when calling the patient from the waiting area of in the actual consultation. Consultations are mechanical and rushed and you get the feeling you are just ' another patient number' not an individual with health issues. Getting an appointment is virtually impossible and the reception staff are unhelpful and equally lacking in warmth or customer service skills.
This use to be an excellent practice but over the last year the care and management have deteriorated to such a low level I have now moved to another surgery where i now receive better clinical care, the GPs are positively engaged and the reception staff friendly and welcoming.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 May 2017