West Lodge Surgery

1. Review titled Could not get an appointment and ended up in Hospital

by Mick - Posted on 16 December 2019

It is very difficult to get an appointment at this practice. My 2 year old granddaughter could not get an appointment on Friday, We tried again on Monday and was told to ring back in 4 hours. We then called 111 and we advised to go to Hospital when she was admitted.

Visited December 2019

Replied on 19 December 2019

We are sorry that you were unable to obtain an appointment and hope your granddaughter is now well. We are experiencing a high volume of patients needing appointments and meeting the demand is very challenging. We appreciate feedback and look to continuously improve our service to our patients to aim for excellence.

2. Review titled Appointment system needs restructuring

by Anonymous - Posted on 01 November 2019

The majority of staff are lovely. My main issue is the appointment system. If you require an urgent appointment the likelihood of getting this is very low. There is no triage system or urgent care sit and wait clinics like there are at other surgeries. I called for an appointment for my son but was told to call back at 12. Called back just after 12 to be told all the appointments were gone. I was not asked how old my child is or what the issue was. A while back I attempted to book an appointment for a routine review but was told that there was no prebookable appointments and to call another day to get a same day appointment. Same day appointments should not be used for routine medication reviews. They should be used for urgent issues. When you call at 8am the line is constantly engaged and when you finally get through at 8.10 all the appointments have gone. Surgeries which run appointments systems like this end up with patients inappropriately presenting in a&e. I work in general practice myself so do have an understanding of what works and what doesn't. I really think the appointment system needs restructuring as it is obviously not prioritising patients needs effectively at the moment. Looking at previous comments this has been an issue for a long time, and patients have just received a generic same comment reply to their feedback but with no action taken to help resolve these issues.

Visited October 2019

Replied on 19 December 2019

We are constantly reviewing our appointment system to accommodate everyone's needs. Due to winter pressures we are having a high demand of requests for appointments. We appreciate feedback and look to continuously improve our service to our patients to aim for excellence.

3. Review titled Mixed bag of doctors

by Anonymous - Posted on 28 June 2018

The practice is nice enough with a friendly front desk team. The doctors are very mixed - my first doctor was quite rude and abrupt so I changed. The latest doctor is friendly, however quite vacant and seems to get confused easily. Each time I visit feels like the first time as there’s no recognition, I often get asked about things that the doctor should already know, such as ‘we should probably test your cholesterol’ when I’m already taking cholesterol meds, and referring me for further tests and weeks later asking ‘why did we refer you again?’. And being told one thing from the hospital I was referred to, and a completely different thing from the doctor (in this instant the hospital informed me I was fine and no further action was to be taken, and a week later the doctor called me and randomly told me I’d been diagnosed with somwthing!). So little care and responsibility. Not impressed.

Visited June 2018

Replied on 28 June 2018

4. Review titled Attentative medical staff and fantastic service

by Emmaahxo - Posted on 03 May 2018

I have been at Glenlea surgery for a few years now and have always been able to get an appointment in a suitable time frame. The doctors are absolutely fantastic and so attentative and thorough, especially two doctors in particular. The nurse is so professional and makes you feel at ease, really thorough and rings her patients at home, I had an abnormal smear and she rang and explained everything that would happen next which made me feel much better as I was really scared. The receptionists are all really approachable and professional. Would definitely recommend this surgery, they are a credit to the NHS.

Visited May 2018

Replied on 03 May 2018

5. Review titled Appointment

by Anonymous - Posted on 24 May 2018

Terrible service today when I called to make an appointment for my daughter who was struggling with an uncomfortable condition. I called at 8am, when I finally got through at 8.10 I was told there were no appointments that day or the next day, despite it being a bank holiday weekend. I was offered a phone call from a GP that morning which I accepted but no one called me. I would have had to wait 5 days before trying again to get an appointment. Luckily I am privileged enough to have a car to get to a walk in clinic, other people with small children may not be so lucky. Terrible, terrible service. Why did I not get the phone all I was promised?

Visited May 2018

Replied on 24 May 2018

We appreciate feedback and look to continuously improve our service to our patients to aim for excellence. Thank you.

6. Review titled Poor service

by Anonymous - Posted on 08 March 2018

I was extremely disappointed to find that the practice does not offer a travel clinic service despite stating that it does on the website. I asked several times to speak to a nurse via phone and this request was declined. The GP reception staff do not appear to listen to patients and I was not able to access the services required. I will be registering at another practice.

Visited March 2018

Replied on 08 March 2018

7. Review titled Patronising receptionists

by Megan - Posted on 09 February 2018

Glenlea surgery has been my doctors since childhood. I understand the pressures of the NHS regarding how hard it is to get an appointment which I totally understand. However receptionists are always rude, if I ring at peak hours i.e 8am and 12 for an appointment it is obvious it is needed or as they say ‘urgent’ otherwise I would ring at more convenient time and book an advanced appointment. The receptionists are very arrogant and patronising when explaining things. It like answering to the Spanish Inquisition which isn’t appreciated. I will definitely but taking the next steps to moving surgeries!

Visited February 2018