Lee Road Surgery

02088521235 20 Lee Road, Blackheath , London, Greater London, SE3 9RT

BobbyWoodruff gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Overall care

I attended the surgery to have my head dressed following a fall. I suffered a nasty gash to my head which took over 6 weeks to heal. Two particular staff members dressed my head and at all times were extremely reassuring, caring and professional to ensure that my head healed will little scaring. Fantastic care.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 01 October 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 23 October 2018

Dear Ms Woodruff,

Thank you very much for leaving a positive review of Lee Road Surgery on NHS Choices.

I am so pleased to hear that you received fantastic care from the two staff members that dressed the wound on your head.

I will pass your feedback on to the staff concerned.

I do hope that you are now fully recovered.

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent new doctors and exceptional reception staff

I stopped going to the doctor for two years from my experience with previous doctors who worked here who dismissed my concerns as hypochondria. I finally booked an appointment due to some urgent mounting and untreated issues. When I called in, I was delighted to find the doctors didn't work there anymore and there was a new GP I could see. My appointment was the best experience I've ever had at the doctors. I felt heard, respected, and most important of all, a plan was put in place to diagnose, investigate and treat the different issues.

The staff on reception here are always compassionate, helpful and caring. I've never had a problem with booking and I like the reminders you get.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 08 October 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 23 October 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

I'm very sorry to hear that you had problems at the surgery in the past but am very pleased that on your recent visit you found the doctor and reception staff to be compassionate, helpful and caring.

Thank you once again.

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Ridiculous treatment at this gp,no respect for their patiens

This is the most ridiculous GP i have ever been. I have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment and when i get there because i am 10 min late i had to rebbok the appointment. But when i go on time to the GP for my appointments they make me wait 30/40 minutes!!!! Where is the fairness ?! They do not see their patients as patients, they see them as customers!!! They don’t have duty of care towards the patients. This is not the first time i have problems with this GP and their doctor, but it will be the last time. I do not recommend this GP no ANYONE !!!!

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 27 June 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 27 June 2018

Dear Madam,

I am very sorry to hear that are unhappy with the services we provide at Lee Road Surgery.

When patients arrive late it has a knock on effect for other patients who are then made to wait. On top of this we often have patients who come to the surgery with more than one health issue they wish to discuss. Both of these issues will lead to doctors running very behind with their clinics, which again leads to complaints from our patients. For this reason we have had to put a cap on the length of time we can see a patient who arrives late. Our policy is that we will see patients who arrive within their allotted appointment time. Once the allotted appointment time is over this will count as a missed appointment.

I'm sorry you had to wait three weeks for your appointment. We have been working on resolving this issue and our current waiting time for a routine appointment is one week.

It is difficult for me to respond to your comment about previous problems with the surgery as you have not given any detail or raised any concerns with me. However, from your record I can see that were unhappy with a doctor in May. If this is the instance you are referring to then I must re-iterate what you were told by the doctor, your request of them was inappropriate.

I can assure you we have the utmost respect for our patients and our clinical staff work extremely hard to ensure our patients are well cared for.

If you would like to discuss your concerns in detail please feel free to contact me at tara.finnie@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care and continuity of treatment from doctor.

I have always received excellent care from the doctors at Lee Road. I have had good continuity of care. The doctor I mainly see is sadly leaving in July but I am sure I will receive equally good care from any of the other doctors in the practice.

I generally make my appointments online and am able to do so easily. To see my preferred doctor requires a wait usually but as the appointments haven't been urgent I am not concerned by this. If I needed an appointment tomorrow there are usually a few slots available on the online page.

Repeat Prescriptions are easy to arrange online and I can chose whether to collect them from the surgery or my local chemist. There were a few hiiccups over this initially but part of the problem seemed to be with the pharmacist and was eventually sorted out.

I have found it easy to communicate with the doctor via reception when I have needed to and when I was very ill one time due to a drug reaction I was able to speak to a doctor and get advice.

I find the office staff very helpful and also the nurses I have seen over the years for everything from vaccinations to smear tests.

I would highly recommend the surgery to anyone.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 03 May 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 09 May 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for leaving such a positive review of Lee Road Surgery on NHS Choices.

We are aware that our waiting times for an appointment have increased recently and we are doing what we can to try to resolve this. As you rightly say, we do offer same day appointments for any urgent acute issues that cannot wait for the next routine appointment. We also offer appointments with the GPEA in Lewisham, which we can normally get within a couple of days. However, most of our patients prefer to wait to be seen at the surgery.

Thank you for using and promoting the online appointment and prescription services. We would recommend that all of our patients sign up to these services as it reduces the amount of time staff have to spend on general administration, frees up the telephone lines for other enquiries and of course it is much more convenient for you!

Once again, thank you for your comments. Receiving positive feedback really does make a difference, particularly during what is a very difficult time for General Practice.

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 4 stars

Decline in service

Having been a patient at this surgery for over 20 years it used to be a fantastic surgery where it was always possible to get an appointment within two or three days. Sadly over the past 12-18 months or so it's been getting harder and harder to get a prompt appointment. The last time I tried a few weeks ago it was a 3 week wait to see any GP at all - let alone the specific one I wanted to see! Many of your patients are talking about this issue and wondering what is going on at the practice!

I don't really buy the line being given by the practice that it's been a "cold winter/big flu year" as we've had other years where this has been a problem and the surgery coped perfectly well without a 3 week wait for an appointment which is unheard of at this surgery. There is also the extended GP service at Lewisham hospital that would have mitigated some of that extra demand.

Is the real reason for these long waits that you have implemented a new appointment system? The wait for an appointment seems to have got even worse since Dr Thompson's departure so it seems a bit too coincidental.

And are you really offering the same number of GP hours as the old GPs did? Many of the new GPs seem to be operating on part-time hours.

And has consideration been give to closing your list to new patients as your registered patient numbers (according to this website) are high at nearly 11,500 patients - maybe there are simply too many for the practice to cope with?

It's sad to see what was a fantastic surgery inexplicably decline to a 2-3 week wait for patients wanting an appointment. Hope you get it sorted out!

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 16 April 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 24 April 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for leaving a review of Lee Road Surgery on NHS Choices.

We are aware that our appointment waiting times have increased significantly in recent months. It is something we are not happy about and are trying to resolve.

This winter was particularly busy with the flu outbreak and it did not help our position at all, however, it is not the only factor involved in the increased waiting times.

We have more clinical time available at the surgery now than in previous years. Recruitment is something we have been looking at but with a National GP shortage and limited space at the surgery this is not easy.

Our patient list is steadily increasing. We have looked at closing our list to new patients but this is governed by NHS England and is not easy to do. Over the last 6 months we have been removing any patients from our list that live outside of our practice boundary. This is something we will continue to do.

At Lee Road Surgery over 1100 appointments were wasted in the last 12 months due to patients not cancelling unwanted appointments. We have now implemented a DNA policy which we hope will resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, the main factors are a national problem. There are many contributing factors and we are trying to address those we have some control over.

Pressures on General Practice
The pressures on General Practice have increased significantly over the years with more health conditions being managed in Primary Care to try and ease the pressures on Secondary Care. This has resulted in a higher patient satisfaction level for Secondary Care but a decrease in patient satisfaction for Primary Care, with the decrease primarily being related to access.

Increased demand
Studies show that there has been a significant increase in demand for GP services with the nation being less likely to self-manage minor ailments than in previous years. We now find that a lot of our clinical time is taken up with ailments that do not need clinical input. One example of this is the common cold. There have been numerous publicity campaigns advising that antibiotics do not help with a common cold, but we continue to see an increase in patients attending the surgery for this year on year.

Patient Expectations
Patients expectations have increased and treatments, medications and referrals are being demanded when they are not clinically indicated. This results in clinics running late and increased paperwork meaning less time to see patients.

Ageing population
With an ageing population GP’s are now required to manage patients with multiple chronic health conditions. As well as requiring longer appointments to manage these conditions, the patients will need to be seen regularly throughout the year, will require numerous prescriptions and referrals to secondary and community services all of which takes a lot of clinical time.

Workforce
Due to the pressure on Primary Care the nation has seen an early mass retirement of GP’s. With fewer doctors choosing to train to become GP’s and of those that do fewer choosing to remain in this country to practice there are not enough doctors to fill the demand.

All of the above are just some of the issues that we are facing in Primary Care. They affect all practices including ours. There are many other areas that are causing a shortage of clinical time such as increased deprivation, increased population and an increase in paperwork: prescriptions, insurances, sick certificates, fit to fly letters, referrals etc.

We are doing our best to try to decrease the waiting times at the surgery, whilst continuing to provide an excellent level of clinical care. Although a lot of these factors are outside of our control we will be making changes to areas that we do have some control over such as implementing new policies, new appointment systems, maximising clinical space at the surgery.

A lot of the new systems will be trial and error and we hope that all of our patients bear

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 3 stars

Difficult to get through on the phone

Waited on the phone for 12 minutes today being told "We know you are waiting and will be with you shortly"! Then the call got cut off. 12 minutes waiting for nothing!

The phones always used to be answered promptly, where are all your receptionists? Definite decline in standards at this surgery which is a shame, it used to be so good

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 20 April 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 24 April 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

I'm very sorry that you experienced difficulties when trying to get through on the telephone today.

Our phones have not been particularly busy today, compared to recent months, and we are fully staffed so I'm not sure why this has happened.

We do have busy periods and we cannot always predict when these might be. For the convenience of our patients we offer online access to our services using Patient Access, which means you do not have to call the surgery to make an appointment, order repeat medication or view your medical record - including test results.

Please ask for a Patient Online Access form the next time you visit the surgery and we will be happy to get you set up with a password (identification must be provided). Further information can be found on our website at www.leeroadsurgery.co.uk

Mir gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent doctors and nurses

Always had a great experience however usually have to wait 10-15 mins and getting an appointment you need a week at least wait.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 30 April 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 01 May 2018

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for leaving a review on NHS Choices.

I have left a long response to the previous review about our appointment times and the difficulties General Practice is currently facing so I won't go into great detail, however, I can say that we are aware the wait for an appointment has significantly increased we and are trying to address this. We would hope to have improved on the current position over the next few months.

I am very pleased to hear that your experience at the surgery has always been good. We are trying extremely hard to provide an excellent service during what is a very difficult time for General Practice.

Anonymous gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 1 stars

where to start with the decline

I used to attend this surgery to be cared for by caring knowledgeable doctors. In the past 12 months the following has occurred:
1 loss of experienced doctors
2 new doctors who lack humility and compassion
3 lack of decent male doctors
4.lack of continuity of care
5 general lack of care by all staff including the practice manager
6 poor new appointment system
7 when they can't be bothered to see you they tell you to go to Lewisham hospital
i could go on but you get the picture, I would suggest going elsewhere as this is no longer the practice it once was.
Perhaps the practice manager should consider recalling some of the 'old guard' if no other reason than to get some independent advice as to why standards have declined

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 30 April 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 01 May 2018

Dear Sir,

I am very sorry to hear that you have been unhappy with our services over the last 12 months.

I have addressed your concerns below, however, my answers are fairly general as you have not given specific reasons for the statements you have made.

1. We have been very privileged to have had a team of excellent doctors that stayed with us until their retirement. Unfortunately, we cannot expect our doctors to continue practicing forever. Over the last few years we carried out careful succession planning to ensure that we were able to replace our doctors as they retired. We now have a new team of doctors who will continue to provide an excellent service to our patients.

2. I can assure you that our doctors do not lack humility or compassion. They work tirelessly throughout the week to keep our patients well. General Practitioners have an extremely difficult job, working long hours, dealing with stressful situations with constraints placed upon them. We now have a situation where doctors are choosing not to go into General Practice or not to practice in this country, so we are very lucky that we have been able to recruit a fantastic, knowledgeable team of new doctors. If there is a specific concern you have regarding a doctor then please email me your concerns to tara.finnie@nhs.net.

3. We have two excellent male doctors at the surgery.

4. When booking appointments you are able to choose which doctor you wish to see. To ensure continuity of care we recommend that patients with a chronic health conditions book follow up appointments with the same doctor.

5. We have a dedicated team of staff who are committed to providing an excellent service, some of whom have worked at the surgery for around 20 years. Due to constraints on NHS services and guidance that we are required to follow, we are not always able to meet every request made by our patients. Please be assured that is not because we do not care.

6. Over recent months our waiting time for a routine appointment increased to 3 weeks. We felt that this was unacceptable so looked at ways of improving the waiting time. The system we have now adopted is being used by numerous practices throughout the Borough of Lewisham and further afield. We are now able to offer a routine appointment within one to two weeks. If we are able to get to a position where we can once again offer an appointment within two to three days we will review whether or not to keep the system in place.

7. We would never tell someone to go to Lewisham Hospital unless it was necessary. Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on this further as you have not given an example. If you would like me to look into this further then please email me at tara.finnie@nhs.net and I will be happy to respond to your concern.

StephanieNightingale gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service at the surgery

I wanted to take the time to commend all the staff, doctors, nurses and support team on the excellent patient care myself and my family ALWAYS experience at the surgery. In these times of cutbacks and budget slashes within the NHS I feel its vital to feedback on good experiences and today, was no exception. I have an 8 year old who has been up all night with excrutiating ezcema pain and the receptionist handled my call this morning with effiicency, understanding and clarity, and I was followed up on the phone by a duty doctor within half an hour of my initial call. Within an hour and a half I had the presciption I needed all because the surgery couldn't (understandably) offer me an appointment today. All my experiences are like this and I cannot tell you how much I value being a patient there. Thank you.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 09 March 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 12 March 2018

Dear Mrs Nightingale,

Thank you for leaving a lovely review of Lee Road Surgery on NHS Choices.

I am so pleased to hear that the care we have offered both you and your family has been excellent.

We do try our very best but as you rightly say, with cutbacks, changes to service provision and an increase in demand our jobs are becoming more difficult.

This winter has been a particularly tough one due to the flu outbreak and then of course the snow! Unfortunately, this is why our wait for an appointment at the surgery is slightly longer than usual at the moment. We will, of course, try and offer alternatives where possible.

Your review is very much appreciated by the whole team.

Camilla Tegg gave Lee Road Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Overall excellent service

I have been with this practice for about 5 years now and been very happy with the care I have received throughout that time. I have a complex medical history and that has been treated with detailed and thorough attention, and also with great patience. I am super conscious of being on the phone to speak to doctors or get information frequently but every one is helpful and patient. I would particularly like to draw attention to goodwill , friendliness and helpfulness of the reception staff, who we all know have a difficult balancing job to do. The practice nurses too I think provide an excellent preventative and communicative service. So thank you to everyone, you make what could be a difficult health path to tread positive and achievable.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 22 February 2018

Lee Road Surgery replied on 23 February 2018

Dear Ms Tegg,

Thank you for leaving a positive review of Lee Road Surgery on NHS Choices.

I am very pleased to hear that you have had such a positive experience of the surgery over the last 5 years.

It is very kind of you to mention both clinical and administrative teams in your comments. I will ensure the whole team receives a copy of your review.