01753520643 45 Osborne Street , Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1TT

Anonymous gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Telephone number doesn't work!

The number for this practice is listed as 01753520643 but doesn't seem to work! Is there another number to call?

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 06 November 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 16 November 2018

Dear Patient, I am sorry to read that you have experienced difficulties with our telephone line. The number you have stated is correct, if you continue to have difficulties please contact us via email on Herschel.mc@nhs.net and we will be happy to help.
HMC.

Anonymous gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 3 stars

Great Doctors and Nurses

This surgery has the most pleasant doctors and nursing staff I have experienced in any surgery. The surgery is bright, airy and clean and has adequate seating/waiting area with a very convenient separate children’s waiting area. Most of the reception staff are pleasant and possibly ONE could be determined warm & friendly. Another is far too loud when speaking with patients and therefore she inadvertently shares your information and concerns with the rest of the patients. I do feel the reception staff should make it clear when booking patients in to a pharmacist (not to be confused with a nurse prescriber) rather than a GP as there is an obvious difference in the knowledge and treatment during the appointment. The doctors are a great team and I must highlight that a doctor actually ran out to the street to give me a prescription I had left in his office and I was one of the last patients of the day. I was very grateful to him for that. Finally, the telephone lines become impossible until about 10-10:30am. I have had to go the surgery on numerous occasions to make urgent appointments as the phone lines remain busy for hours in the mornings. Overall this is a good surgery!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 03 November 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 17 December 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I was pleased to read that you have had positive experiences with our team of GPs. However, I was sorry to read that you felt reception can be too loud, as you say inadvertently sharing information. Patient confidentiality is of the highest importance. Therefore please be assured that this will be addressed in our regular staff training sessions. Should you require a private space to discuss matters away from the main desk, please do not hesitate to ask one of the reception team who will be happy to oblige. The appointments booking line experiences its highest demand first thing in the morning. Therefore, the practice is continually working on how to make our appointments system more efficient in order to reduce waiting times on the telephone.

Beryl Davies gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

One of the better surgeries

I hear horror stories of some surgeries and consider myself lucky to belong to Herschel Medical Centre. My last appointment was not the best as I had a longer wait than normal, but generally speaking I have been satisfied with the service received. I've always found the reception staff friendly, helpful and, usually, very efficient. I am in my late eighties and have nearly always managed to get an appointment with my allocated doctor, although it has sometimes meant ringing back as no immediate appointment available. I have had mixed results when seeing another doctor- if my own doctor is away or otherwise unavailable - and, in the past, have been misdiagnosed on two occasions, but have more often been satisfied and have had several helpful home visits from other doctors. I would recommend Herschel Medical Centre to anyone, but am surprised that it is still able to take new patients with the high number already attending. I have been told that a problem is the number of people who do not turn up for appointments without giving prior (or any) notice. I imagine that this is not a problem particular to Herschel and wonder if a fine could be a solution. However, I do realise that the admin work and cost of this could make it prohibitive!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 17 October 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 23 October 2018

Dear Patient,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. I was pleased to read that you continue to have a positive experience at Herschel Medical Centre, and indeed that you would recommend the practice to other patients. Your comments are very much appreciated, and I know the reception team will be happy to note what you have said regarding their level of service.

J Singh gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

One of the best

I have a chronic condition and need to visit the surgery on a regular basis. I’m always treated with dignity & respect, and the doctors are very empathetic , the staff are very courteous & polite too. My GP understands my condition & is always willing to help with referrals, tests etc as needed which does make a big difference. I was temporarily registered with a different surgery few years back , but we just didn’t click, so I came back to Herschel. What a difference! I really look up to my GP and can feel his genuine concern in me as a patient. Thank you Herschel !

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 19 October 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 16 November 2018

Dear Patient, Thank you for taking the time leave such positive feedback. I sincerely hope that we will be able to continue providing the same level of service you describe, your comments will be passed on to the team who I know will be delighted to read them.
HMC.

Derek Taylor gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

We feel so lucky

This is not a review of a recent visit to Herschel, but I thought it time to express my wife and my feelings of how fortunate we are to be patients of Herschel Medical.
We've been patients of this first class medical centre since the Albert Street days and the move to this still smart - and rather chic - building was a massive improvement. The waiting area is light and airy and the ambience is very relaxing.
My over-riding feeling while visiting Herschel is one of confidence; confidence in the efficiency and general medical knowledge of the doctors, practice nurses and pharmacists and confidence in the reception staff who do their best to accommodate those in need of help.
As older patients we've often talked about moving away, but one of the main factors holding us back from this major change in our lives, is the access we have to first class care at Herschel - long may this continue.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 03 September 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback. I sincerely hope that HMC will continue to provide the high level of service you know, and trust, long into the future.

John A gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Grateful and happy

I have always praised this surgery! I will never leave Herschel Medical Centre

People need to realise that our surgery is offering us a variety of appointments and the Doctors and Pharmacists will go above and beyond to provide you the best service. Stop complaining about how bad a service is just because you have to wait for a few minutes to be transferred to the receptionists.

Been treated for my asthma for 15 years but i have to say never felt this well!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 03 September 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you for taking the time to submit such positive feedback. HMC appreciates your comments, and we sincerely hope you will continue to experience the high level of service you have come to expect from the team.

Anonymous gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

HERSCHEL MEDICAL CENTRE IS A SHAMBLES

Something very wrong is going on with this surgery. First of all the receptionists are very rude with a ready attitude! to be honest I am shocked with this surgery as it is almost impossible to make an appointment. the lines open from 8am to make an appointment as you not allowed to pre book anymore! from 8am in the morning on countless occasions when my husband needed a doctor they would be constantly engaged for an hour and a half, every single morning it is like this. when all of a sudden I do manage to get through then suddenly and abruptly I am told that all the appointments have gone!
please tell me if the phone is engaged from 8am to 9.30am constantly and suddenly the lines are clear and I get through the appointments magically disappear!
I have had enough of the disgraceful service and I am sure many other people feel the same. I will be writing to the practice manager and I will mention all who have been of no use or help not to mention completely rude!!!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 16 July 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 17 July 2018

Dear Patient,
I was very sorry to read that you have had difficulties with booking an appointment, and indeed that you found the reception team to be rude. Our call handling team receive a large volume of calls during the period of time you have mentioned, and although we do our very best to deal with every call quickly and efficiently, inevitably there will be times when it is difficult to get through. However, I must apologise if you have experienced anything less than a caring and helpful service from the practice team and assure you that your comments will be taken into account when we undertake our next staff training session which are held monthly.
If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact us via Herschel.mc@nhs.net.

DVAID gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Worst reception staff very rude over the phone

The reception staff is rudest staff you can ever come across to. They answer your question as if they are doing favour, completley forgeting that they get paid from us tax payers.
The next level of rudenss you can get over the phone, i have lived in so many different barrows in UK and i can confidently tell you that by far most rudest reception you can ever come across. They work their as if they are forced to be there. Also they have no clue on most of things, eg if you want your repeat prescription online you need to speak to reception for password, i called them to find out how can i get password and i been told they have no idea and did not bother to find info and asked me to come down to surgery . When i been to they asked me my id which she should have informed me but she didnt , after that they said i ll get my pasword, logged in and cannot acess online repeat prescription or appointment booking.i rang them again again same answer. Finally gave up

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 30 June 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 02 July 2018

Dear Patient, I do apologise for your problems and in particular the 'rudeness' which you describe. In addition for our staff not sorting out in a timely and efficient manner the problems you have with online access. We shall address both at our next in house training session which occur monthly
Please email the surgery herschelmc@nhs.net if you would like to try again with online access, and address this for the attention of the practice manager
Yours,

Jenna gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Empathetic & Compassionate GP

I’m quite blessed to have a very understanding & a compassionate GP who’s very caring. I suffer from a chronic long term painful condition & it makes a big difference when your GP understands you. Its almost impossible to get through to the senior most GP as he’s more involved with teaching now, but I can feel he still oversees and is in charge, although Id like to see him at my appointments. Another one of the partners is extremely good & caring too. To be honest, apart from a couple of times where I faced inconveniences, The staff are very courteous & hardworking too.I do count my blessings for being with Herschel.
Thank you Herschel Medical Centre.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 06 July 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback. As a practice we are always striving to provide the best patient care and experience possible, I sincerely hope this will continue to be the case. Best wishes, Herschel Medical Centre.

Claire W gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Denied my choice of treatment

I suffer with endometriosis and recently my symptoms have become so painful I am struggling to get out of bed in the morning. I went for an ultrasound which was booked quickly and due to findings I need to see a gynaecologist.

I went back to the GP and requested to go to a specialist endometriosis centre within Guys and St Thomas since the both NHS England and NICE guidelines state this is my right. I have now been denied twice my legal right to choose where I have treatment. Apparently GP’s here are not allowed to refer out of the area!

A complaint has been made with NHS England and CCG notified. I hardly ever go to the GP and the one time I need to I’m let down.

If you work as well don’t bother trying to book an appointment in advance as you will hardly ever get one.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 24 May 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 25 May 2018

Dear Patient,
I am sorry for the frustration. You have highlighted an issue that has been around for a while - patients right to choose where they are soon but constrained by the NHS market which gives CCGs the right to set contracts which as a NHS practice we are bound by. In general as you are I am sure aware one can be seen out of the local area if the local area is unable to provide the necessary treatment required. London has its own 'tariff' - basically it costs more for the local NHS economy for patients to be seen in London. If you 'need' to be seen in London because the local area cannot provide the service this should happen; if a patient 'wants' to be seen in London (but we cannot evidence the 'need') we are unable to refer there. If you think we have got it wrong please do contact the surgery in your case please contact the surgery (herschel.mc@nhs.net).
Yours,