Herschel Medical Centre

01753520643 45 Osborne Street , Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1TT

Beryl Davies gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

One of the better surgeries

I hear horror stories of some surgeries and consider myself lucky to belong to Herschel Medical Centre. My last appointment was not the best as I had a longer wait than normal, but generally speaking I have been satisfied with the service received. I've always found the reception staff friendly, helpful and, usually, very efficient. I am in my late eighties and have nearly always managed to get an appointment with my allocated doctor, although it has sometimes meant ringing back as no immediate appointment available. I have had mixed results when seeing another doctor- if my own doctor is away or otherwise unavailable - and, in the past, have been misdiagnosed on two occasions, but have more often been satisfied and have had several helpful home visits from other doctors. I would recommend Herschel Medical Centre to anyone, but am surprised that it is still able to take new patients with the high number already attending. I have been told that a problem is the number of people who do not turn up for appointments without giving prior (or any) notice. I imagine that this is not a problem particular to Herschel and wonder if a fine could be a solution. However, I do realise that the admin work and cost of this could make it prohibitive!

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 17 October 2018

Herschel Medical Centre has not yet replied.

Derek Taylor gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

We feel so lucky

This is not a review of a recent visit to Herschel, but I thought it time to express my wife and my feelings of how fortunate we are to be patients of Herschel Medical.
We've been patients of this first class medical centre since the Albert Street days and the move to this still smart - and rather chic - building was a massive improvement. The waiting area is light and airy and the ambience is very relaxing.
My over-riding feeling while visiting Herschel is one of confidence; confidence in the efficiency and general medical knowledge of the doctors, practice nurses and pharmacists and confidence in the reception staff who do their best to accommodate those in need of help.
As older patients we've often talked about moving away, but one of the main factors holding us back from this major change in our lives, is the access we have to first class care at Herschel - long may this continue.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 03 September 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you for taking the time to give such positive feedback. I sincerely hope that HMC will continue to provide the high level of service you know, and trust, long into the future.

John A gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Grateful and happy

I have always praised this surgery! I will never leave Herschel Medical Centre

People need to realise that our surgery is offering us a variety of appointments and the Doctors and Pharmacists will go above and beyond to provide you the best service. Stop complaining about how bad a service is just because you have to wait for a few minutes to be transferred to the receptionists.

Been treated for my asthma for 15 years but i have to say never felt this well!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 August 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 03 September 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you for taking the time to submit such positive feedback. HMC appreciates your comments, and we sincerely hope you will continue to experience the high level of service you have come to expect from the team.

Anonymous gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

HERSCHEL MEDICAL CENTRE IS A SHAMBLES

Something very wrong is going on with this surgery. First of all the receptionists are very rude with a ready attitude! to be honest I am shocked with this surgery as it is almost impossible to make an appointment. the lines open from 8am to make an appointment as you not allowed to pre book anymore! from 8am in the morning on countless occasions when my husband needed a doctor they would be constantly engaged for an hour and a half, every single morning it is like this. when all of a sudden I do manage to get through then suddenly and abruptly I am told that all the appointments have gone!
please tell me if the phone is engaged from 8am to 9.30am constantly and suddenly the lines are clear and I get through the appointments magically disappear!
I have had enough of the disgraceful service and I am sure many other people feel the same. I will be writing to the practice manager and I will mention all who have been of no use or help not to mention completely rude!!!

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 16 July 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 17 July 2018

Dear Patient,
I was very sorry to read that you have had difficulties with booking an appointment, and indeed that you found the reception team to be rude. Our call handling team receive a large volume of calls during the period of time you have mentioned, and although we do our very best to deal with every call quickly and efficiently, inevitably there will be times when it is difficult to get through. However, I must apologise if you have experienced anything less than a caring and helpful service from the practice team and assure you that your comments will be taken into account when we undertake our next staff training session which are held monthly.
If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact us via Herschel.mc@nhs.net.
Herschel Medical Centre

DVAID gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Worst reception staff very rude over the phone

The reception staff is rudest staff you can ever come across to. They answer your question as if they are doing favour, completley forgeting that they get paid from us tax payers.
The next level of rudenss you can get over the phone, i have lived in so many different barrows in UK and i can confidently tell you that by far most rudest reception you can ever come across. They work their as if they are forced to be there. Also they have no clue on most of things, eg if you want your repeat prescription online you need to speak to reception for password, i called them to find out how can i get password and i been told they have no idea and did not bother to find info and asked me to come down to surgery . When i been to they asked me my id which she should have informed me but she didnt , after that they said i ll get my pasword, logged in and cannot acess online repeat prescription or appointment booking.i rang them again again same answer. Finally gave up

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 30 June 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 02 July 2018

Dear Patient, I do apologise for your problems and in particular the 'rudeness' which you describe. In addition for our staff not sorting out in a timely and efficient manner the problems you have with online access. We shall address both at our next in house training session which occur monthly
Please email the surgery herschelmc@nhs.net if you would like to try again with online access, and address this for the attention of the practice manager
Yours,

Jenna gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Empathetic & Compassionate GP

I’m quite blessed to have a very understanding & a compassionate GP who’s very caring. I suffer from a chronic long term painful condition & it makes a big difference when your GP understands you. Its almost impossible to get through to the senior most GP as he’s more involved with teaching now, but I can feel he still oversees and is in charge, although Id like to see him at my appointments. Another one of the partners is extremely good & caring too. To be honest, apart from a couple of times where I faced inconveniences, The staff are very courteous & hardworking too.I do count my blessings for being with Herschel.
Thank you Herschel Medical Centre.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 06 July 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 16 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive feedback. As a practice we are always striving to provide the best patient care and experience possible, I sincerely hope this will continue to be the case. Best wishes, Herschel Medical Centre.

Claire W gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Denied my choice of treatment

I suffer with endometriosis and recently my symptoms have become so painful I am struggling to get out of bed in the morning. I went for an ultrasound which was booked quickly and due to findings I need to see a gynaecologist.

I went back to the GP and requested to go to a specialist endometriosis centre within Guys and St Thomas since the both NHS England and NICE guidelines state this is my right. I have now been denied twice my legal right to choose where I have treatment. Apparently GP’s here are not allowed to refer out of the area!

A complaint has been made with NHS England and CCG notified. I hardly ever go to the GP and the one time I need to I’m let down.

If you work as well don’t bother trying to book an appointment in advance as you will hardly ever get one.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 24 May 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 25 May 2018

Dear Patient,
I am sorry for the frustration. You have highlighted an issue that has been around for a while - patients right to choose where they are soon but constrained by the NHS market which gives CCGs the right to set contracts which as a NHS practice we are bound by. In general as you are I am sure aware one can be seen out of the local area if the local area is unable to provide the necessary treatment required. London has its own 'tariff' - basically it costs more for the local NHS economy for patients to be seen in London. If you 'need' to be seen in London because the local area cannot provide the service this should happen; if a patient 'wants' to be seen in London (but we cannot evidence the 'need') we are unable to refer there. If you think we have got it wrong please do contact the surgery in your case please contact the surgery (herschel.mc@nhs.net).
Yours,

marsh1 gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

ibs

i went to my doctor as i believed i was having ibs and wanted confirmation from them.I first saw a medical practitioner and gave her my symptoms and asked if she was agreeable that i was ibs diagnosed with ibs.She was helpful and i was prescribed certain medication .I have been with this practise for many years and will stay with this practice as long as i am living where i am.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 03 June 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 04 June 2018

Dear Patient - thank you for your kind comments. If you find things are not as they should be please do also let us know.

Anonymous gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Worst appointment system/ overworked staff/ different doctor

Firstly, the appointment system is very difficult, hectic and tedious. You cannot book an appointment by calling in normal working hours. There is only 1 hour slot each day for booking an appointment and you have to try 20-30 times to get through to the switch board. Yes, just to get through to the switchboard because 9 out of 10 times the number is busy. If you are fortunate enough to reach the receptionist, they are so badly overworked that you have to think vet carefully before you speak so as not to offend them. Now comes the appointments, absolutely no flexibility! Today only at 9:30 etc and that’s it! Always.

Every time there is a different doctor,. Even when they say that there is one designated for you - absolutely untrue. This means personal doctor patient care is a big no no. Don’t trust a word on their website, it’s normal marketing jargon. Like the online appointment system. They have struck a collaboration with a surgery on other side of the city where they leave one or two appointments available online only on weekend in a bootable in a few weeks time.. But you ll be put off because you will have to travel quite far away. Why not register with a far off Surgery in the 1st place.

Similar is the case with online prescription.

Good point is that if you are able to pass all these hurdles between 8 and 9 in the morning, there is 50% chance you will be able to see a doctor the same day in case you are dying of pain. Only once through 3 years I was seen by a very nice young doctor who was considerate enough to send me straight to A n E. Bless him!

These guys have taken 14000 plus patients and still accepting. Seriously overworked staff. But there is a good marketing team with them.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 27 March 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 28 March 2018

I am sorry for the problems with regards to the appointment system. To try and improve this we have purchased and new telephone system (February 2018) and also recruited new staff to answer the telephones. We hope that this will reduce the problems getting through on the telephone in due course. Unfortunately there has been a recent local branch surgery so we have been flooded with a recent influx of about one thousand new patients, and this may have exacerbated the problem. As you are aware we are not allowed to refused new patients to register with us.
With regards to appointment times we do in general have enough appointments, but are aware that they not be at a convenient time. This was the reason for working with other local practices to offer appointments in the evenings and at weekends.
We would encourage you to make sure of the online facility to request repeat prescriptions. When set up no telephone contact with the surgery should be necessary.
Finally I an gland you managed to see a 'nice young doctor', and we can also reassure you that we have no marketing team.

rizwan gave Herschel Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

No pre-booked appointment

Hi, this surgery has changed its working practices since i have registered with this. You can't get pre booked appointment and if you call you are advised to call after 8 in morning, which is not possible for me always as i work in night and can't get up early to book appointment. And if i have called their number is always busy until 10am. and then they say we don't have any slot available for the day. You are lucky enough to get same day appointment. They must have pre booked appointments.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 28 March 2018

Herschel Medical Centre replied on 28 March 2018

I am sorry for the problems that you are having. The reason for having on the day appointments as we have very few patients who then do not turn up for their appointment, and also this does in fact insure there are enough appointments: Patients are not waiting for weeks for problems which may turn out to be urgent. You do however high light the draw backs to this system for yourself.