Leigh View Medical Practice

01132537629 Bradford Road, Tingley , Wakefield, West Yorkshire, WF3 1RQ

Appointments Unobtainable

Hi

The appointment system is a joke. You are told there are no routine appointments for over 6 weeks. You are then told there is an urgent clinic and if you ring before 10.30am to try that.

You then ring before 10.30 and are told to try the next morning and so forth.

It is therefore impossible to get an appointment within 6 weeks.

I lived around Yorkshire and have been with over ten surgeries (most were good) This is the worst surgery, I have been to or rather the worst surgery I have not been to as I've yet to see a Doctor there. I'm sure they're brilliant if you are prepared to wait a couple of months for an appointment.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 10 May 2018

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 June 2018

Sorry to hear that you have some questions and concerns about our appointment system, we try to make it as clear and consistent for everyone.

Our next routine appointment is only a few weeks wait, certainly not 6 weeks. There is sometimes a slightly longer wait if you need to see someone in particular who may be on holiday.

Every week, we also release routine evening and weekend appointments - these extras are available at the Morley hub who see our patients for routine problems outside of traditional office hours.

Anyone who feels that they cannot wait for the next routine appointment is always able to see GP on the same morning in our urgent morning clinic. Unlike other surgeries, we have no cap on the number of patients that we see each morning.

Anyone who calls after 8am will always definitely be able to be seen that morning providing that they can get here before the morning urgent clinic finishes.
The morning clinic finishes at 10.30, (This is 9.30 on a Thursday due to staff training).

I hope that this is helpful. If you experience any difficulties again, please do explain to the reception staff how urgent it is, and please call as early as you can, to be sure that you can physically get here before the morning clinic finishes.

We would always prefer to receive any feedback directly so that we can help find you a convenient appointment at the time.

Anonymous gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Appointment experience

Got a next day appointment. Doctor listened to my concerns and was very reassuring. Referred me for further tests.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 09 October 2018

Leigh View Medical Practice has not yet replied.

No appointments available

I've never actually had an appointment as every time I ring they don't have any available. I can't do mornings as I work but I can do anytime after 12pm, unfortunately the next appointment is 3 and a half weeks away.

On the times when I have tried to get a morning appointment when I've been really ill, they've also not had morning appointments. I've tried getting appointments at any time when I've been on leave but again they've never had appointments available.

I've been using an NHS drop in centre. I've never had an appointment with the practice as it's impossible to get one. I've moved around frequently the last 5 years, I've had 6 doctor's surgeries. This is by far the worst.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 06 March 2018

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you feel that a suitable appointment hasn't been available for you.

The practice offers many routine appointments with any of our 10 GPs, including late appointments on Monday evenings, Thursday early morning and Thursday evenings, which are especially popular.

For any patient who feels that the next routine appointment is too far away, the practice offers a daily morning urgent clinic, and so anyone that calls before 10:30 who cannot wait for the next routine appointment, will be asked to attend this morning clinic. I am sorry to hear that you are not able to be available in the mornings, but the doctors would expect patients to prioritise attending an available appointment (over work and school) if they feel that they need to be seen more urgently than the next available routine appointment.

There is absolutely no limit on the number of patients seen in the morning urgent clinic, so if you call anytime from 8am, you would be able to be seen that same morning, so I can only assume that you perhaps called after that time.

Patients at Leigh View can also be booked into appointments at the Morley hub, which become available for us to book every Monday for every evening and that coming week/weekend.

I'm sorry to hear that this range of appointments does not suit your needs, but if you explain this to the Receptionist when you call how urgently you feel that need to be seen, they will be happy to explain the appointments available at that time, and they will do their best to find you a convenient appointment.

I hope that this is helpful.

Anonymous gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service

I have always been able to get an urgent appointment promptly and a non-urgent appointment within a reasonable timeframe. Repeat prescriptions are always filled quickly and the admin and clinical staff are always professional and helpful.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 23 March 2018

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 June 2018

Thank you for your kind words, the staff really appreciate positive feedback, and they really value this.
I shall ensure that this is fed back.

Many thanks for taking the time to share this.

Stephen gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Needs major improvement

I've left a bad review due to having to call time and time again to only be told they can offer me an appointment at another surgery, if i wanted to go to another surgery i'd join one and travel further to it.

Last example was 5 phone calls on hold for 20 mins, to old be told to call back, then final call managed to get an appointment which helped me.

All in all if there was a doctors closure which i could join and offered better service i'd be OFF!!!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 16 January 2018

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2018

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that you wish to leave a negative review on the basis of being offered an appointment at the Morley hub. The Morley hub is an additional service available for our patients, and given that we are able to offer appointment there every evening and weekend, many people find this service to be very appealing. Other appointments would have been available to you at Leigh View, including a same day morning urgent clinic, or to wait a few weeks for a routine appointment, depending onhow urgently you felt you needed to be seen.

If you wish to explore the appointment systems at other local practices, you may find that the range of appointments offered at Leigh View, (including the unlimited number of patients able to be seen every morning in the same day morning clinic), is very positively reviewed in comparison.

Our recent patient survey has shown that the majority of our patients are happy with the appointment system, and that this is better than the average score for a similar practice nationally.

I hope that this is helpful, and I thank you for your feedback.

Anonymous gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

no emergency apointment offered and very matter of fact diss

after not sleeping for 6 night in dreadfull pain i called at the pratice at 4.50pm aftee leaving work ill i spoke to a receptions at the desk and asked if i ould see a gp the reply plain and simple we close so we have paitents wsiting ring in the morning no offer of emergencie appointment offered not only did i felt dismissed like a naughty school boy i just walked awsy ...i never am rude to anyone and you stste no aggresion will not be accepted how ever the receptions who i have seen before had no problem being what i feel as dismissive to sat ths very least it works both way as this docoters stopped offering emergencie appointment so we can all pop off to A and E they were not bothered what was wrong how ill i was its not often as i moan i need help but when i do i am treated with contemt

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 08 November 2017

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback, and sorry to hear that you were unable to book a same day appointment when you arrived at the surgery.

There are always doctors at the surgery until 6.30pm to deal with any emergency patients, who feel that they cannot wait until the following day. The practice Reception staff would only offer a same day emergency appointment in the afternoon however if you gave them cause to believe that you wanted one and they would absolutely never send anyone away who had given them reason to doubt that they were not satisfied with returning for the next day's clinic.

There are a range of options for patients who need to be seen when the practice is about to close, so I can only assume that having asked you to book into the following morning clinic, that you gave them no reason to feel that it could not wait. Had you given them any reason to feel that you had wanted to be seen as an emergency, they would have arranged this, without doubt.

For future reference, please note that the doctors do expect patients to prioritise attending urgent appointments in the daily morning clinic (over work and school), and given that you were in pain, we would have been happy to book you in on day 1 in the morning urgent clinic, had you asked to be seen that same day.

I hope that this is helpful.

treated like aliens

We have just moved to Leeds and were horrified when i was informed by the receptionist by phone, hat because our postcode is LS10 we cannot register with this practice even though is the 3rd nearest with the best reviews locally,

If they are not willing to take patients form the LS10 area the should not be part of NHS choices

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 05 October 2017

We are disappointed that you have chosen to give Leigh View a one star rating purely on the basis that you do not live within the catchment area. All GP practices have clearly defined boundaries for accepting new patients, and Leigh View's is displayed on the practice's own website and in large print near the entrance foyer.

NHS.uk is a national website listing ALL the GP practices accross the whole country. It does not advertise it'self to provide details of whether someone is within the catchment area for the different surgeries, just lists then in the order in which they are geographically closest to your postcode.

The practice has already responded to your query directly and provided you with details of how to find a practice that does cover your residence, of which there are several.

Thank you for taking the time to add this comment on, so that other new people moving to Leeds can also be aware that only people resident in Tingley and East Ardsley are eligible to register as patients at Leigh View Medical Practice.

Many thanks

Anonymous gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

Told I would need to wait 11 working days to see nurse

I saw my GP with what to me was an urgent issue, GP agreed I needed a small 20 min procedure to be carried out by a nurse, advised to book one in a few days. Reception staff told me nothing available for 11 working days, or over 2 weeks including weekends. I could not hear a thing in one ear so no way possible could I wait 2 weeks to regain my hearing. I am now having to pay £70 to get the procedure done privately which I find a disgrace. The reason I was given for them being unable to offer an app for 2 weeks was that the nurse was on holiday. I understand staff need holidays but the practice manager should employ cover so that the practice can still offer a full service. It's not acceptable to me that my GP tells me to book an app for a few days to be told sorry 2 weeks!! I use my GP twice a year if that usually so I'm very disappointed in this level of service.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 16 October 2017

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. I am extremely surprised and saddened to hear that you were asked to wait 11 weeks, and am not clear whether this was an appointment at the practice or an appointment for a District Nurse to visit you at home.

There has not been a shortage of appointments with our Practices Nurses in the last year at all, and I am unsure how this happened without further details.

We currently have more Practice Nurses than ever before, and patients do not wait to be seen more than a week usually, unless it is a routine annual review which are booked at the convenience of patients. If you had brought this concern to our attention, we would have been able to look at this for yo and tried to help. I am sorry that without providing your contact details in this anonymous online forum, we were not able to identify who you are to have been able to contact you to resolve this.

Marie Scanlon gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Where do I start

I rang Leigh view for a much needed appointment after receiving a letter from yourselves to book in for .......... I rang on Tuesday 24th July at 14:21, 14:24 and 14:29.
14:21 call I pressed Option 1 for appointments to be told I was 5th in the queue then 4th in the queue then 3rd and so on until I got cut off by yourselves after 2 minutes and 21 seconds.
14:24 call I pressed Option 1 for appointments to be told the same I was in a queue only to be cut off again after 3 minutes and 44 seconds
14:29 call I now pressed Option 7 as Option 1 was getting me nowhere and as you could understand I am getting extremely frustrated. I am now on hold for 17 minutes and 4 seconds and in this time I have got myself and my 2 and 3 year old into the car and drove round to your surgery to find it quiet and back office staff chatting (whilst still been on hold in a queue???).
Your reception could not understand how this has happened and basically gave me a leaflet of where to complain (very helpful)
I have to say your New Telephone system clearly doesn’t work and I must have heard a thousand times “Your call is important to us” well if it was that important you wouldn’t have cut me off twice and kept me on hold for 17 minutes whereby I had to abort the call.
As I have got around to writing this complaint letter I would also like to add in the fact that your reception staff or the people that answer the phones can be rude at times. Your team need to be aware that sometimes they will be dealing with very sick people and should show compassion and respect at all times and a nice telephone manner should be a must.
The waiting time to see a doctor is horrendous I tried to book an appointment for my partner on Monday 17th July to see a certain doctor to be told the next available appointment would be 25th September?? This is just horrendous and something needs to be done. I know you are taking on more and more patients but something has to give as the level of care for patients is been severely impacted.
Again today 23th October  I tried to ring in for a much needed appointment to be on hold for 22 minutes and to hear I was 1st in the queue for 12 minutes . Can you please inform me how this can happen yet again?? I then ran again at around 12.45 that afternoon to be on hold 8 minutes to get through and book an appointment . I then asked to speak to the person in charge to be told that the Practice Manager would call me back that day. My phone did go at 14.14 and it was the surgery number it went 4 times and as I picked this up someone put it down???? Do you really think I am going to put myself through the anxiety and frustration of trying to call this number after everything. I would like a call from the person who is meant to be  ringing me please and I don't want an apology as these are empty words. I want to know what is now going to be done about this and how this will improve in the future.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 23 October 2017

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2018

Thank you for your comments, after reviewing the difficulties with the new telephone system when t was first installed last year, I trust that you will now find the telephone system much improved.

There will inevitably be busy periods for call handling at peak times. By now giving patients details of their position in the queue in the telephone recording, we trust that patients can now decide if they are booking non urgent appointments to call back if they can.

We now receive very positive feedback about the new telephone system, and I hope that you will find this too, the next time that you call.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Anonymous gave Leigh View Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Incompetent at booking appointments

For the second time I've had an appointment booked, had a text confirming my appointment, turned up, checked in using the screen, and sat for half an hour waiting, only to find that the person I'm there to see isn't even working that day, and no one's quite sure why I was given an appointment. Need to update their practices to stop wasting our time we'd be struck off their list of we missed 2 appointments

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 14 August 2017

Leigh View Medical Practice replied on 22 August 2017

I am sorry to hear that you had not been notified that your recent appointment had been cancelled. I assume you are referring to the Midwife clinic as there have been no other clinics cancelled at Leigh View for some time.

As the Midwives are employed by Leeds Community Healthcare Trust, they organise their own diary, and liaise with patients directly. We were made aware of a situation last week where the midwife's clinic had remained on the computer system after they had contacted and rearranged their patients themselves. The Reception staff were therefore not aware. Because the clinic had not been removed from the computer system, text messages are sent automatically, and any patient arriving using the touch screen would not be flagged up to the Reception staff. We can only assume that the Midwives tried to contact you and were unable to.

We are sincerely sorry that this happened, and have fed this back to them so that they can resolve this and ensure that it doesn't happen again. If you wish to make a formal complaint to Leeds Community Healthcare Trust, please ask at Reception for details of how to do this.