Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre

01209717471 Station Road, Pool , Redruth, Cornwall, TR15 3DU

jce83 reviewed Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre

Good care but some administration issues

_Written by Healthwatch Cornwall on behalf of the story provider:_
Opthalmology patient. Patient goes to Homecroft surgery, it's okay but it's difficult to get an appointment. Calling up in the morning sees all are taken for the day, they say it's very busy but when the patient's been there in the past, the waiting room has never been very busy. Can't book ahead. They've found out it's easier to go there in person at 8am and book an appointment face-to-face. Referred from GP to ophthalmology, it was 2-3 months until 1st appointment (which was 2-3 years ago). Been to West Cornwall Hospital and St Michael's. Good care, good information about plan of care. Has experienced issues with organisation/administration of appointments at Royal Cornwall Hospital, they have had 3 or 4 letters in the past all for the same appointment. Also had issues where they've turned up and said they should be at WCH, when calling WCH they said they had no record of the appointment. When these mistakes have happened RCH have resolved them quickly.
[A note from Healthwatch Cornwall](https://www.careopinion.org.uk/blogposts/761/a-note-from-healthwatch-cornwall)

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 18 December 2018 using Care Opinion

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 02 January 2019

Thank you for providing this feedback. A large part of the feedback relates to the patient's care under the Ophthalmology Department/West Cornwall Hospital and we trust Healthwatch Cornwall have brought this to that organisation's attention as they will not see this feedback on our own practice page - we cannot comment on this element unfortunately. However we are certainly concerned to hear of the patient's experience of booking an appointment at Homecroft surgery and would happily investigate further if the patient would like to make contact. We can assure patients that there are appointments available to book in advance and that we endeavour to keep sufficient on-the-day appointments to meet the need of patients with urgent care issues requiring a same day appointment. These appointments are available at all our four of our sites including Homecroft and we endeavour to help spread peaks of demand in one area by offering availability at another site. Where demand that day means that appointments at a particular site may be fully booked, and the patient is unable to attend another site, we arrange for a clinician to call the patient back and discuss their health concern. That clinician can always arrange for that patient to be seen the same day if clinically necessary, but sometimes will be able to resolve the issue immediately over the phone even if a prescription is required, given that these can usually be sent electronically to the patient's preferred pharmacy location. The waiting rooms on all sites will not always look busy, as there may be less nursing clinics on that particular site that day, or the doctors on duty can be out visiting patients or speaking to patients on the phone at that particular time. We can certainly assure patients that our clinicians work very hard and all their availability is used appropriately for patient care. We hope this response can be shared back with the patient so that they may feel reassured.

Anonymous gave Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Awful

Some of the GPs seem quite old fashioned, unsympathetic and do not have an up-to-date understanding of relevant issues for a patient with autistic spectrum disorder. Maybe the NHS should be liaising with the local authority in Cornwall who seem to be much more clued up about autism.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 20 September 2018

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 20 September 2018

We are really sorry you have been unhappy with the service we have provided. We would like to be able to investigate and would invite you to contact the Practice Manager, Wendy George, so that we may endeavour to address all your concerns. Please telephone any site and leave your contact details (as she may be based on a different site when you ring it will be easier for her to call you back), or you can write to her at Pool Health Centre, Station Road, Pool, Redruth TR15 3DU. Alternatively feel free to email carntocoast@nhs.net and mark your email for her attention and again she will acknowledge receipt and investigate accordingly. Be assured that raising a complaint does not affect your patient care at all. We value all feedback both positive and negative, as an opportunity to rectify any issues and learn from what works well or what is not working so well for patients.

Wonderful Care reviewed Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre

I will always be thankful

Due to a reaction to an antibiotic, I became extremely ill. I called my surgery and they urged me to call 999. The paramedic who came to my home was wonderful~~so caring and skilled. ( I do wish the paramedics could be classified other than "essential services". I think they deserve an upgrade!) As my blood pressure had become critically high, he called for an ambulance to take me to Treliske. The ambulance attendants were amazing. Skilled, kind, caring and understanding. After entering ED, the nurses and staff, although so busy, were efficient, pleasant and kind. I was attended by a consultant, who was a credit to the profession. She was also courteous, skilled and kind.
I worked in healthcare myself for over 30 years and understand the pressures, tiring work, and sometimes, no gratitude for the work these fine professionals do. Our surgery, Homecroft, to me, is one of the best. The doctors and staff are fantastic. I have had treatment at Treliske twice now, once for a TIA and this incident, and, again, the staff was exceptional. So often, patients complain about our health care system, which I cannot agree with. I feel that we are fortunate to have such outstanding service in this area of Cornwall and I, for one, will always be thankful.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018 using Care Opinion

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 20 September 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words and taking the time to post this review. We value all feedback both positive and negative and will certainly pass on your kind comments to our staff and clinicians.

Anonymous gave Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Friendly, competent staff, and easy to get an appointment

I recently re-registered with Pool Health Centre after moving back to the area. The kindness shown towards me by the GP I saw, as well as his competency, took me completely by surprise. I’m not used to seeing GP’s who actually care about what I have to say, instead of shooing me out the door (which was what I was expecting).

Reception staff are very friendly and professional, something that unfortunately isn’t prevalent at every GP surgery.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 23 May 2018

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 23 May 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. We are delighted you have found our services to be responsive and friendly. Please do let us know if you encounter areas in which we can improve. We will certainly share your kind comments with our staff.

Jackie gave Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Practice

Unfortunately I need regular blood tests so attend the surgery quite often, it doesn't matter what time of day I attend, the reception staff, Assistant Practitioners are all calm and professional, they are a credit to Pool Surgery. Well done

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 28 January 2018

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 29 January 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words and rating. We are pleased you are so happy with the service we provide and shall certainly share your comments with our hard-working staff which will surely give them a welcome boost on a busy Monday morning.

Sennen. gave Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service.

I have been using this practice for 4 years.
I have always found the staff to be professional, polite, and friendly at all times.
The reception staff are wonderful.
I have never felt rushed, I genuinely feel listened to and I am able to discuss any problems with ease to the G.P.
Any referrals or prescriptions are promptly dealt with via the pharmacy or RCHT.
The only thing, is sometimes the waiting to be seen in the afternoon can be quite long & if you are there with small poorly children, this can be distressing for them.
I understand that appointments do run late & some people are very Ill indeed.
I like the fact that I could book an evening appointment to fit around my work hours, but I tend to pick late afternoon, due to work & children needing dinner & bed after school.
My children have always been given an appointment on the day I request one & I feel very grateful for that.
The car park was very poorly lit, the last time we were there, unfortunately.
I do recommend this surgery to people I talk to & I think we are lucky to have such wonderful Doctors around us, who care about their patients.
Thank you, for all of your continued hard work.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 10 December 2017

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 11 December 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review and for your kind comments. We shall certainly share this with our clinicians and staff which is bound to give them a boost on a cold Monday morning! We will certainly check our car park lighting too as it maybe there are lights which are not functioning which we may not have spotted on our routine checks. We hope you continue to be satisfied with our services but please do get in touch should there be issues or areas on which you feel we could reasonably improve.

There is no better surgery

This surgery really does tick all of the boxes. The staff (absolutely all of them) are professional and courteous. The reception staff are polite and respectful. The nurses are highly skilled and always put you at ease. The doctors are all amazing with my whole family and the management are excellent at keeping the patients informed of news and changes. I choose to see my own doctor wherever possible and throughout the many years I have needed a consultation with them I have found them to be caring, considerate and the epitome of professionalism. They have helped me so much and always referred me promptly when it has been required. I really couldn't recommend this surgery more highly. There is also the option of appointments at their linked branches if an appointment is not available soon enough at my local surgery. I could go on, this practice is the best!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 04 October 2017

Carn To Coast Health Centres - Pool Health Centre replied on 06 October 2017

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review which we shall share with staff and clinicians alike. All feedback, both negative and positive is very much valued and we are always pleased to hear from our patients.