Salisbury Medical Practice

01722333034 Salisbury Medical Practice, Fisherton House, Fountain Way , Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP2 7FD

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 4 stars

Excellent care but poor customer service at reception.

The GPS, nurses and midwives are excellent in my experience. I always feel listened to and cared for.

However getting an appointment is very difficult and phones often go unanswered. I have been left on hold for 10 minutes on numerous occasions. On arrival at the surgery the receptionists are not particularly friendly. In fact there have been times when there have been two receptionists working and a queue of people waiting, yet one receptionist blindly ignores the queue and clears up the desk! They also never apologise for the wait either.

At my most recent appointment I was 9 months pregnant and left queueing whilst one receptionist dealt with customers and the other wondered about talking to other people who work at the surgery.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 06 November 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 14 November 2017

Thank you very much for your very positive comments regarding your care and treatment from our clinical staff, which will be shared with the respective teams.
I was very disappointed to learn of your poor experience when trying to contact the Practice and the service you have received at the reception desk. Please accept our apologies that this has been your experience.
With regards to the delay in the telephone being answered, I recognise that there are times of high demand when patients do experience difficulties getting a response. We are fully aware of and trying to address the situation by recruiting more staff and reviewing our current way of working with a view to managing the call centre more efficiently. Do be aware that prior to and following Bank Holidays, Mondays and late Friday’s are generally considered to be times when you may have to wait in a queue.
With regards to the reception area, I am so sorry that you find our receptionists unfriendly and you were kept waiting when you arrived at the desk, please accept our sincere apologies that your experience did not mirror the standards to which the Practice aspires. As I have no specific dates or times regarding your appointments, I have passed your comments to the Reception Lead for her to discuss with the Team.

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 4 stars

great doctors let down by some reception staff

Good doctors surgery with caring gp's.
My only complaint is the type of reception you get from the receptionist varies greatly. On some occasions is is fantastic and they will bend over backwards to help, on others (like my most recent call) I was huffed at down the phone five or six times. I was made to feel as though my request was too difficult to reslove.
I can appreciate that at 6pm everyone wants to go home but if one cannot conduct themselves in a professional manner they should not be the point of contact for the public.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 22 November 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

phones never answered and never the same gp

practice to busy now. never able to see the same gp, telephones never answered, can be on hold for up to 10 mins regularly.
care from staff fine and good link with all pharmacy's for prescriptions.
large gp surgerys are not the way forward

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 23 October 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 24 October 2017

We appreciate that some patients prefer to see the same doctor at every appointment. However, many of our doctors work part-time and therefore it is not always possible to get an appointment with your preferred doctor at time you wish to see them. Please rest assured that all your clinical history is noted electronically and it is easy for whoever sees you to make themselves fully aware of your on-going issues and care.
We are sorry to hear you have had problems getting through on the telephone. We continuously monitor peak times, such as Monday mornings and after bank holidays to ensure we have the right staffing levels to prevent this happening. We are in the process of restructuring out teams and will be recruiting shortly to increase the number of staff available to answer the telephone. Many people use our on-line services to make appointments as this is more convenient for them. If you would like details on how use this facility please contact us or look at our website where there is more information.
As a larger practice our aim is to provide a high quality, integrated health service that is easy to access. We welcome feedback from patients so that we can improve the services we provide. In addition to traditional care we provide drop in peer support cafes for people who not only are our patients but others who live and work in Salisbury and the surrounding area; e.g. people with dementia and their carer’s, MS sufferers, Parkinson’s, Memory Café, Fibromyalgia,. Additional services such as Physiotherapy, Dieticians, Retinol Screening, Headway (service for patients who have had head injuries) are run from the premises together with Dental and Pharmacy Services

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Very pleased so far and would recommend

I moved to this practice from another in Salisbury where I had been registered for 20 years but increasingly seemed only to be able to access locums and where the receptionist service was frosty and rather unhelpful.

No such problems so far with this practice. The receptionists have been extremely helpful and treated me in a friendly but professional manner.

The phone has been answered promptly and I have had little difficulty in obtaining an appointment unlike my previous practice where I once had to wait 8 weeks!

The practice is light, airy and modern with plenty of free parking.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 23 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such positive comments. I would like you to know that we have recently reviewed our appointment booking system and implemented new ways of managing appointment requests. Changes have been made across the board from emergency ‘on the day’ through to the ‘routine’ appointment requirements of our patients. We now feel we are better at meeting our patient’s expectations and, on occasion, exceeding them.

Gail Fawcett gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 4 stars

Test results

I took a blood test at the Bemerton Surgery.All done very well. Went a week later to get the results. The receptionist read the result so that everybody could hear! Not very professional. I asked for it to be printed out but it was declined. When I asked what I should do because of the result I was told to either talk to the doctor on next health check or Google it!!!!!! Not very professional.
I would prefer that others in the surgery didn't have to know about my medical status.
Gaul

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 07 August 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 15 August 2017

Thank you for your comments, please accept our apologies for your poor experience. Having been to this branch you clearly appreciated that is difficult to speak to patients at the desk without being overheard. We do have a protocol in place whereby a member of staff could take you somewhere quieter to have a more private conversation, but I believe on this occasion you were already mid conversation when another patient arrived at the surgery. We are more than happy to print results for individuals, however all print outs need authorising and approving by a GP first, so this would not have been an immediate action as the GP may be in clinic at that time. Clearly, searching for guidance on your results on Google is not something we would recommend as each individual is different and it is so easy to misconstrue generic advise when personal history and ongoing health issues cannot be considered. Once again we apologise our poor communication on this occasion – please be assured that this matter has been discussed with the staff member concerned and our procedures reviewed

Anonymous reviewed Salisbury Medical Practice

Excellent experience

I was referred by my local GP practice for a steroid injection in my thumb. Booking an appointment by phone was easy and this initial contact gave me a good first impression of the practice. Lovely facilities and a warm welcome at reception.

I was anxious about this procedure and the doctor who carried it out filled me with confidence from the very start. They explained they did a lot of these (that was why I was referred to him and this seems very much in the patient's interest) and they described in detail what I was suffering from and how the treatment should help. I was then pleased to find that procedure itself caused me much less discomfort than I was expecting. They also had a lovely sense of humour, one example of which I am already sharing!

Too early to say whether my problem is sorted but if I have to return, I will have no fear and will almost look forward to it.

Thank you - this is the NHS at its very best.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 06 April 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 11 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your very positive comments, we are pleased you had such a good experience and are not concerned about having to undergo any further injections. We aim to make the Practice a warm, safe and welcoming environment for all our patients.

Paul Bartholomew gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Advice & help following Surgery

I was discharged from hospital on a Wednesday, but by Friday was suffering problems. I phoned the surgery late Friday morning & was put on the Doctor,s phone list. Th doctor duly phoned, talked the problem through with me, but decided that, prior to prescribing a prescription, I should see a Doctor. Appointment made for 2pm.
Met as arranged, where the Doctor confirmed the problem, and prescribed the medication.
Symptoms went over the weekend.
My thanks to all involved; a case of first class care and patient service.
Thank you again.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 14 March 2017

Thank very much for taking the time to post positive comments. The triage system is designed to accommodate patients in such a situation and we were pleased to note that you are now feeling better.

Anonymous reviewed Salisbury Medical Practice

Very poor availability

Very difficult to get appointments. The online booking system would not let me successfully book an appt for my daughter so I had to call instead. I waited over 20 minutes before the phone was answered. I find consistency unachievable at this practice - never seeing the same Gp more than once - I was offered an appt in no less than four weeks for my daughter. Whilst it is not urgent four weeks for the first available appt is not great is it. This is why I support the notion that Gps should be covering a 7 day week roster.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 03 February 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 08 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our service I apologies for the difficulties you experienced in trying to make an appointment for your daughter . If you were trying to make an appointment at the Bishopdown or Bemerton Heath branch (in which case you can only book these appointments if you are registered as one of these being your branch surgery) I cannot explain why you could not book an appointment with a doctor on line.
I am sorry that you waited 20 minutes to speak to a receptionist on the telephone , however at times (especially around 8am – 10am, 1pm to 3pm and 5.30 to 6.30), even if the call centre is fully manned, that the very high demand cannot be met as quickly as we would like.
It is regrettable but not exceptional within the NHS that your daughter had to wait 4 weeks for a routine appointment. Had you considered you needed advice regarding your daughters problem or an urgent appointment for her, then the receptionist would have noted your name and details on our ‘triage’ list and a doctor or nurse practioner would have called you back to discuss your daughters problem and advise, prescribe or give her an urgent appointment as appropriate. Besides the triage facility, we do try to have some appointments available to patients who work late or out of town, by opening Monday to Friday until 8pm to accommodate those patients who can only attend after normal business hours.

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service.

Reception staff are always friendly and helpful. Doctors and practice nurses will offer excellent information. Cannot fault this practice.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 21 February 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 07 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to register your satisfaction with Salisbury Medical Practice

Anonymous gave Salisbury Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

Lovely people but booking appointments is now a nightmare.

First and foremost everytime I have been to the surgery or spoken on the phone they have been really kind, helpful and understanding, so from this aspect I think the surgery is fantastic.

However - booking an appointment has gone from hard to impossible.

The nurses hours have recently been reduced so that there are no longer appointments around 8:00am or 17:00 pm. Not only this is now difficult for people who work to access a nurse, but the change was made out of the blue with no consultation with patients such as myself who need to visit the nurse on a regular basis.

In addition the surgery has now 'blocked out' appointment times which are seen as popular to avoid people booking them and not turning up. I appreciate this can be a problem, however I feel upset to be tarnished with the same brush as people who mistreat the system. I have turned up to every doctors appointment I have ever booked at the surgery on time, and if I've needed to amend something it has been with over a week's notice. It does not help matters that the receptionist did not know when these appointments would become available for booking , plus I am not trying to book that time because it is popular, but because I have that day off work.

I am also disappointed by the fact that the website, and indeed comments from the surgery on here, seem to indicate that it would be easy to get an appointment right the way up until 8pm. In my experience this is nonsense. Even trying to book an appointment well in advance, the latest appointments are usually around 5pm. In fact I believe that it is actually only the chemist which stays open until 8pm, and this is therefore misleading to patients using the service.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 14 March 2017

Salisbury Medical Practice replied on 21 March 2017

We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused in trying to book appointments at the Salisbury Medical Practice.
We would like to reassure you that the nursing team has not been reduced. In December 2016 we had a part-time nurse retire and in February 2017 recruited a new full time HCA. Unfortunately we then had an HCA retire and another leave. We have recently interviewed for a further two HCA vacancies which should be appointed, allowing for notice periods by the end of April. Of note there are nursing appointments after 5 pm. Mainly, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
We are unsure why you think that we have blocked out ‘popular appointments’ to avoid patients booking them and not turning up as this is certainly not fact.
We do however, keep a few of appointments blocked of to allow the triage team to allocate ‘urgent on the day appointments’, such as dressings etc.
For information the on site pharmacy closes at 7pm and the practice has a late clinic everyday with appointments up to 8pm, when the practice closes.
Not withstanding all of the above, I would like you to know that the partners are currently reviewing how are appointments are managed and we are hoping to improve on appointmentment availablity in the not too distant future.