Giffords Partnership

01225896630 Spa Road , Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 7EA

Fantastic Help!

I had a call late Friday afternoon about a prescription problem, which we discussed and the lovely lady on reception said she would try to sort out with the doctors. She rang me back a few minutes later having spoken to the doctors & my specialist to tell me she had the prescription in her hand to be picked up or sent to a pharmacist!

I suffer from severe mental health problems and 24 x 7 chronic pain so her doing this was a fantastic relief to me.

I don't come across too well on the phone, I am told, because of my pain, so I feel really guilty that I most probably didn't come across as appreciative or thankful, but I am so grateful. Thank you for helping me.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 07 January 2018

Giffords Partnership has not yet replied.

Frank Travers gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 1 stars

Do you really care?

Over 6 weeks ago I sent a written complaint. It has yet to be resolved, despite an estimated 14 days being quoted.
I have just read the reviews and responses written here. It surprises me that the management still say the (new?) appointment system is popular and liked by the majority.
I find the GPs and the nursing staff very good. Kind and professional.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 08 December 2017

Dear Patient
I am sorry that your complaint response was delayed due to a misunderstanding, however I did respond in writing and via email on Thursday 7th November. If you still have not received that response can you please let me know.

The on the day appointment system has been very successful and we do have daily feedback from the patients that use the service and this has been very positive. The feedback from patients is given directly to the clinicians which is then report back to the rest of the practice team.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the clinical staff I will ensure that this is passed onto them.

If you want to discuss this matter further please get in touch with me at the surgery.

Practice Manger

Jo Allen gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 5 stars

Friendly helpful talented doctors

My husband and I had cause to use this brilliant surgery today. We were made to feel our concerns were important to them and they bent over backwards to help in a most efficient and effective way. Nothing was too much trouble yet it was all carried out in a caring manner but without wasting time. We both feel our health is in safe hands and cannot thank them enough.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 12 December 2017

Dear Patient

Thank you so much for your positive comments, it is very much appreciated.

Rude reception staff

I wanted to enquire about registering online and the receptionist just handed over paper and said bring on photo Id I didn’t hear her at first and asked again she actually huffed and said bring in photo id as she got up and walked away while telling me. I thought she was rude as I don’t hear that well and watch mouth movement a lot to work out what’s being said. Another receptionist is always lovely wish I had seen her instead but she was busy. Never had problem with Drs , nurses, or getting an appointment and on the whole like the surgery. Just lady on reception could do with a bit more customer service training, this was this morning

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 15 December 2017

Dear Patient

I am sorry for the problems you have experienced with your request to register online, I hope you have been able to register online, but if not please get in contact with me.

All our reception staff have received customer service training so I am concerned that you have experienced less than satisfactory service.

If you could contact me at the surgery and let me know which receptionist it was that you spoke with then I will speak to them about the situation.

Anonymous gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 2 stars

Unhelpful and disrespectful

Telephoned today, 27 Dec, to get a conversation with my doctor due to my severe mental problems and was told, in their usual helpful manner, that he isn't in today, so I asked when he was in and was told tomorrow and ring tomorrow at 08:30 and they will try and arrange something then. No enquiry if it was urgent, if I would like to talk to someone else, etc. Then went on to question why I was not called last Thursday by the diabetes nurse who said she would ring between 5 & 5:30. Was informed curtly that she had tried to ring 3 times that evening but the number just clicks, I don't know how many times I have told them our number doesn't accept anonymous caller ID's. But both my wife's and my mobile numbers are on the system but she didn't try those. I had seen her only 2 nights before in the surgery and told her my numbers had shot up and she said we would discuss it on the call. She had left a note saying she would try again after the bank holidays, my numbers haven't dropped between 9 & 14.5 so lets hope no permanent injury has been left. The receptionist couldn't wait to get me off the phone, at one point I had to ask her to stop interrupting me when I was a talking. I really thought this pace had turned a corner with new doctors but its the same old place.The trouble is we all know there is nothing we can do about it because all the surgeries are the same.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 27 December 2017

Dear Patient

I am sorry that you are unhappy with the service offered by the practice. I am more than happy to deal with your complaint, if you would like to contact me at the surgery, so that I can look into this matter for you.

Owen gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 5 stars

Nothings perfect but its pretty good

My wife and I have been with Giffords Surgery for many years and seen it go through ups and downs. Notwithstanding the general nationwide shortage of GP's and the consequent past difficulties in arranging convenient appointments our overall our experiences have been consistently good.. There are many complaints about the new phone-in appointment system but you do at the very least get to talk to a doctor the same day.as you call. I would consider that to be a very important improvement over waiting a couple of weeks to discuss your issues.

Due in no small part to the quick thinking and persistence of a doctor my cancer was caught at a relatively early stage, and again it was because I did not have to wait a couple more weeks that things now look good. Our regular doctor has shown exceptional care and compassion for both my wife and myself over the years - couldn't ask for more.

Remember the surgery staff are just people like you and me, they have there problems too that inevitably will spill over into the work arena.

Yes, I have had to try 2 or 3 times to get through to the surgery on more than one occasion. Yes it can be irritating and time consuming but a bit of patients is much more calming and usually a bit more productive.

Quicker answering times would mean more reception staff, and with budgets limited and stretched that would inevitably mean funds being moved from one area to another.

Yes, the new prescription ordering service has the same answering issues as the surgery but is this system has been imposed not by the surgery but by NHS Wiltshire.

Unused prescription medicines cost the NHS £2.7million every year in Wiltshire. This method is aimed at reducing wastage to enable the NHS to spend this money on other important services.

Stick with it Giffords, it's better than it was.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 29 December 2017

Dear Patient

Thank you for your positive feedback, it is very much appreciated.

Anonymous gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 4 stars

All changes some good and some not so good

I have been a patient at giffords since I was a baby which was some 40 years ago . I think times have changed a lot and it’s not all down to the staff . There was a time that most of the doctors had time for there staff and the receptionist were receptionist . Now I feel that the doctors haven’t got as much time thereful the receptionist have to do some of there work first . Some people take this the wrong way . I will say this past year the receptionist have become younger and they have a smile on there face which is a pleasure to see when your not well . Some doctors are very helpful and some can’t really be bothered . I will also say that the cleanliness was never really up to standard but did seem to change . Yet I feel since a few months ago it’s gone down hill again . Do they have a change of cleaners . I guess it’s hard to get all the team working well together .

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 23 November 2017

Dear Patient,

I am sorry that you have had problems with the service offered by the practice, I would be happy to look into the problems you have highlighted if you would contact me at the surgery.

Anonymous gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 5 stars

Best surgery around!

Giffords is a brillant surgery. I have been a patient for over 20 years and can not fault in all of my experiences with them. I am always greeted with a pleasant smile and am always dealt with as quickly and professionally as possible. The recent changes to staff over the last year or so have improved Giffords even more, each member of the surgery is friendly and always willing to help with and problems. I’m not a frequent patient, but when I am I can not fault the service. I agree and even prefer the new phone call appointments, as I’m not wasting mine or the doctors and nurses time. I don’t understand how some patients dont agree with this but none the less like I said before I cannot fault Gifford surgery at all.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 23 November 2017

Dear Patient,

Thank you for your positive feedback, it is really appreciated to hear that we are doing a good job.

Jamie reviewed Giffords Partnership

Appointments / updates / care

I have been a diabetic for almost 7 years and all this time while being under the giffords surgery I have yet to have a positive experience.
Yet again I was lured to the surgery on false pretenses to see the diabetic nurse (who was fantastic by the way) but it came to light my visit was unnecessary. AGAIN.

This is not an isolated experience as in one situation I had no fewer than 5 appointments in 2 weeks to see a diabetic nurse and on each occasion it was a wasted visit by myself and time wasted by the different nurses I saw each time.

For me the care in terms of diabetic patients the surgery offers is failing, especially for me.

I say this as I have been asking the surgery on numerous occasions on the availability and surgeries position, both in person and email, on patients access to the new freestyle libre glucose monitoring which is available from Nov 1st. To which I have had no reply or acknowledgement. I understand that this is subject to a local economy health review, but I would have hoped this had taken place already and information communicated to patients - either way. However as I mentioned there's a staunch silence.

If you could communicate and keep patients up to date on big changes (especially to a diabetic patients ability to manage their health and wellbeing) this would go some way in alleviating some of the issues I have raised.

I am not by any means saying the care or doctors are poor in any way. Each doctor / nurse I have seen has been professional and efficient. However there are small failings that make a big difference to a patients care.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 01 November 2017

Giffords Partnership replied on 02 January 2018

I am sorry that you have experienced problems with the service provided by the surgery.

I would be more than happy to deal with your complaint if you would like to contact me directly at the surgery, this is a complex issue and I need to review your records to answer your concerns.

The information relating to your monitor is not yet available in this area.

Anonymous gave Giffords Partnership a rating of 2 stars

Doctor replaced and appointments

Couldn't get through on phone so had to visit surgery to get appointment. Need one for insurance pain management and current medication for another issue causing rash. Have to wait a week for doctor to call then will give appointment. Poor management, also receptionist tells me our go has left and we have been given a replacement. No prior advice or notice.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 03 November 2017

Dear Patient

I am sorry that you have experienced problems with the service offered by the surgery.

I would be more than happy to deal with your complaint if you would like to contact me at the surgery.

I am sorry that you had trouble getting through on the phone; we have put more staff on the phones at the busiest times in the day, but generally if you phone later in the day you are more likely to get through on the telephone.

You shouldn't have to wait a week for the doctor to call you, you can phone on the day that your doctor normally works and will be given a telephone consultation. The clinician will take a history from you and will provide a comprehensive consultation over the phone. If after discussing your problem with you they feel it is clinically appropriate to see you face to face they will give you an appointment for later that day.

If you wish to discuss a medication issue you can now telephone the prescription ordering direct team and they will be able to help you 0300 123 6242.

I am sorry that you did not feel you were given the appropriate notice of your named GP replacement; however we do try and advertise all GP changes on our website and internally in the surgery. Staff will also inform you when you attend for an appointment.