Manor Park Surgery

01132394416 Bellmount Close, Bramley , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS13 2UP

Anonymous gave Manor Park Surgery a rating of 4 stars

GP appointment

My daughter and I visited the surgery today. We booked the appointment the evening before on System One which was straight forward. We were seen within 5 minutes of arrival this morning. My daughter has been suffering with anxiety and really distressed this morning. We were seen by one particular doctor and we want to say a really big thank you. In the short time of the appointment he showed such care and understanding. He just said the right words, and spoke such reassurance. It hasn’t been easy for my daughter but assessing a doctor who shows such understanding makes a massive difference. Thank you.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 19 September 2018

Manor Park Surgery replied on 31 October 2018

Dear Patient

Thank you for your wonderful comments.

They are very much appreciated and will be fed back to the practice team.

Victoria Battle
Site Co-ordinator

1st time, never again!

I would like to say that the reception staff here are great :) Never had an issue. Dr? Different story. I was asked by St James Hospital during a visit to A & E with pelvic pain after a miscarriage. I was asked to register with a Gp as I had recently moved to the area and needed a referral from a Gp to see a gynecologist (ovarian disorder suspected) My 1st time at this surgery, and can safely say I won't be going back. I saw the Gp, who informed me that I didn't need a referral? And that I could have the referral or "2nd opinion" as he stated, but it wasn't necessary? After telling me about his own wife's pain threshold and all pain is different but it was probably nothing. No pelvic examination, no internal exam, in fact he had no clue about what was going on and more to the point didn't bother to ask or listen. He just couldnt be bothered to type up the referral, and that was plainly obvious. If he had even bothered to read notes or listen, he would have found that my family have a history of cancer, cervical being one of them. I have a cyst on my cervix and to rule out anything else, this referral was extremely important, otherwise the hospital would not have requested this? I suffer with excruciating pain, mood swings, loss of appetite and at nearly 40 am seriously considering a hysterectomy to put me out of my misery. All he heard was hysterectomy and replied with a no. Offering me contraception and telling me to go on sexual health websites? I didnt ask for contraception and dont have an std, so that was pointless too. Maybe try listening to your patient, instead of doing all the talking. I won't be coming back here, and would certainly not recommend to anyone.

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 28 September 2018

Manor Park Surgery replied on 31 October 2018

Dear Patient
I am terribly sorry you had such a negative experience when visiting the practice.
We hold a complaints protocol and any complaint of a clinical (or administrative) nature is investigated and replied to.

Appointment system hopeless

I'm leaving this practice after many years. Sick of ringing at the time when appointments are released, only to be on hold for 10 minutes then find when I finally get through that all the appointments have gone. I'm now left ill, in discomfort, worried, and no GP appointment and this is far from the first time. This is supposed to represent our National Health **Service**. I despair.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 08 November 2018

Manor Park Surgery replied on 13 November 2018

Dear Patient,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your comments and we are very sorry you have experienced long waits when trying to get through on the telephone. We are aware of the long time and frustration when attempting to get through on the telephones. We are currently recruiting new staff to help better manage the demand on our telephone system. We are confident that when our new staff are trained, we will be able to provide a much faster and more efficient service for our patients.
I would advise you that as well as phoning the practice you can also come to the practice for 8am and 1pm appointments. You can also book online, if you would like to register for online services then please come along to the practice with some photographic ID and proof of address. We are sorry you feel the need to leave the practice but wish you all the best.
Yours Sincerely
Victoria Battle
Site Co-ordinator

Doctors ok, I never actually saw my GP

I have been with this surgery a couple of years. In general the service from the doctors has been fine.

What I really dislike is their booking system. Very few appointments available online so very hard to plan ahead for work.

It is the attitude of support staff that has made me leave this surgery however. Rude, arrogant and dismissive sums it up even when I have important medical questions to ask.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 10 July 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience while registered with our practice.
I am sorry you seem to have had difficulty in arranging appointments.
We are an extremely busy practice and I do believe this is something every practice struggles with. We do try and accommodate those patients who may find it hard to attend Monday - Friday through working hours. We have two days Monday to Friday where our doctors have appointments from 7am. We also offer appointments on a Saturday & Sunday.
I am also extremely sorry that you found the attitude of our support staff to be less than satisfactory. This is certainly not the image we wish to convey to our patients and would like to present a welcoming and comfortable environment.
I am sorry you felt you needed to leave the practice but wish you all the best for the future.

Bad attitude

The doctors are ok no problem but the receptionists are rude and disrespectful to people they sigh when asked a simple question even though they are getting paid for just sitting there like everyone and everything is a problem will be moving surgery as i dont like how the receptionists talk to people really antagonisingly disgusting attitude tbh never felt so be littled for asking a question

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 11 July 2018

Dear Patient
Thank for you for taking the time to feedback your recent experience with the practice.
I am very sorry you found our reception team to be unwelcoming and disrespectful. This is certainly not something we expect from our front line staff and will act on your information accordingly.
I am sorry you feel you will need to move practice but we wish you all the best.

Anonymous gave Manor Park Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Deterioration in an already poor service.

It is virtually impossible to contact the surgery by any other means than face to face, which is not always convenient. Telephone calls are permanently fielded by an answering service, that I understand is based at somewhere other than the surgery anyway. Email contact is not allowed, and there is no alternative messaging service. Consequently it is almost impossible to make an appointment. One might almost think that the whole system is designed to prevent any engagement with the staff. I am not a regular attendee, and I suspect the practice would be quite happy to never see me again until death. Any contact is initiated by myself, and there is never any review or follow up.

I try to make life easier for the practice, and I am registered for repeat prescriptions and the Systmonline service. However, most of the interesting online options are disallowed by the practice, with no explanation.

Because of this, I have tried to sign up with an alternative digital service, called Evergreen. I have requested some details from Manor Park, but these have not been forthcoming, for some reason. I understand from Evergreen that GPs are obliged to provide access to online services, and issue a registration letter and key to their patients on request. Failure to do so is in breach of the GP contract.

Therefore, I would be grateful if you could look into this on my behalf.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 24 July 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback your comments regarding your recent experiences. I am only sorry these have not been more pleasant.
At peak times our telephone service is very busy and we understand it can be frustrating trying to get through to our booking service team. Our booking services team are based at an office in Pudsey along with our other departments that support the practice. This would have no impact on the amount of time it takes to get through on the telephones.
Our email account is monitored once on a daily basis and although we would really like to utilise this more for patient contact, staff resource is an issue and not something we can offer presently. This may be something we look at in the future.
We currently offer patients the choice to make appointments by telephone, in practice or online. We have had a lot of positive feedback from our patients using online services and being able to arrange appointments.
The patient record facility is available upon request and records are required to be checked by a clinician before access can be granted. This is due to safeguarding concerns, possible mention of third parties within patient notes etc. We would be happy to pass on your request to online access to one of our GPs if you would like to request this.
I must admit at having to look up Evergreen. From my understanding it seems this is a patient platform like many others which provide the same access to your online account as our current system. Apologies if I have misunderstood this.
NHS Choices advises:
"Patients at your GP practice have a choice of sites to access online services.
Different sites allow you to do different things. Check that the site you choose offers the services you need.
Note: GP practices decide which online services they make available to their patients. This means although the sites below offer these services in principle, your practice may not."
I really hope you have a more positive experience with the practice when visiting or getting in touch in future.

Anonymous gave Manor Park Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Decent medical staff, atrocious reception service

I am with a different surgery, that is a part of this surgery for weekend treatment, so I have no problem getting an appointment.

Each time we've been, the medical staff has been helpful, competent and friendly.

The problem they have is with the reception-hence low score. There tends to be the same person there each time, and she unfriendly, unwelcoming and on my last visit- plain rude!

There doesn't seem to be an easy complaint system, so I can't see her losing her job anytime soon. Its only now when I came to write this review that I noticed other comments about reception- fully justified.

It is a great running surgery, the pharmacy within couldn't be more helpful or more efficient. It's such a let down with the reception though! In this day and age, no one should receive such poor customer service.

When I approached the receptionist to nicely let her know her misconduct, she shrugged her shoulders, said that it was fine and that I wasn't even a patient of the surgery, so that it was just fine. !?!

If you can make it past reception- one of the best NHS services I have received.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 28 July 2018

Dear Patient
I am sorry for your recent negative experience at the practice. I would be happy to look into this further for you and would be grateful if you could submit this in writing with as much information as possible.
I am surprised at your review and consider our reception team to be polite and friendly. I would be very grateful if you could get in touch with the practice with the details and name or description of the receptionist you have had such unpleasant experiences with. You can do this in writing or by email reception.manorparksurgery@nhs.net.
Our complaints process is displayed near the entrance to the practice on our patient communication board and feedback forms are available at reception.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our clinical team, I will be sure to pass these on.
I do hope you have a better experience and indeed a more positive welcome when visiting the practice in the future .

get an appointment not

Confirmation of appointment on 01 Jun 2018 15:55 at Manor Park Surgery. For queries phone 01132394416.
Got this appointment got there to be told I don't have an appointment and would have to make an appointment on line I have been trying for weeks to get an appointment waste of time trying they don't know what they are doing would not recommend this doctors will be looking for another doctors I would avoid this doctors surgery

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 01 June 2018

Manor Park Surgery replied on 04 June 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments.
I am terribly sorry for this miscommunication and am very sorry you feel no choice but to seek another practice.
We wish you all the best in the future.

Mandy gave Manor Park Surgery a rating of 5 stars

I book online now

I don't tend to book by telephone anymore I find it easier to do it online although I do realise not everyone will be able to do this.I do it on my mobile as u don't have a computer and if I go online at 7pm I have always been able to get a appointment for the next morning

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 25 May 2018

Manor Park Surgery replied on 04 June 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments and feedback.
it is good to hear you find the online booking service convenient and are making good use of this service.

Abbey R gave Manor Park Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Mixed feelings but doctors excellent

Been here since moving to Bramley in 2004 from a much smaller home surgery so the lack of personal contact was a shock. Even my uni surgeries which were huge had a more welcoming atmosphere. Have seen many changes over the years as they try and please everyone which will always be difficult. Main issues are when you are poorly, getting appointments and dealing with receptionists. On the whole reception is far better than it used to be. Certain doctors (most of them tbh) do fantastic work in often trying circumstances. But if you have mental health problems I'd suggest going elsewhere. I once rang up suicidal and the girl I spoke to couldn't even signpost me for help. I actually refused to put the phone down to see what would happen. Nothing. It was very disturbing. I would have left on many occasions if not for 2 particular doctors who've seen me through physical and mental battles with compassion (and giving me appointments so I'd be able to actually see them again). Many times the only way I've been able to get an appointment is using the online system which works if you have the capacity and ability to use it. Most of my emergency appointments have been booked this way because it's the only way to get one. Trying to book an appointment for my partner who works full time has always been an issue as well although this is improving with late weekday and weekend appointments. Telephone appointments are also available but as with all things you have to know about them to ask about them.

I had a bad experience with one doctor but pretty much every health professional I have seen there including hca's, physios etc have been good. However when my mental health has been at its worst the barriers to getting seen are insurmountable so when I've desperately needed help I can't get it. I'd suggest mental health training for phone and reception staff and an understanding that poor mental health does not equate poor intelligence. The woman's voice on the automated phone system makes me want to scream too but that's another story!

I also struggle with sensory overload in the waiting room. It's so noisy, the repetitive screen with the same information on loop and uncomfortable chairs when there's a much bigger waiting room, usually empty with better chairs down the corridor. There have been times when I've sat there in tears of utter desperation while the reception staff laugh merrily behind me.

All in all my review has good and bad because of my own experiences and the only reason I wouldn't recommend someone joining is because this practice is already far too big to cope with the patients it has.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 19 June 2018

Dear Patient
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your past and detailed experiences. This is very much appreciated as without honest feedback it is hard to know the areas on which we need to focus on as a practice.
As you have mentioned in your review, we are a large practice covering a large portion of West Leeds. Our appointments are in constant high demand. Although this is a problem faced by most practices, we do try and offer services which may make booking and attending appointments easier such as using our online service, been able to attend from 7am on certain days and to be able to attend on both Saturdays & Sundays.
As mentioned we do have high demand on our appointment system and appointments do get taken very quickly. When all of our appointments are taken we do have to direct patients to other services which are available for them to use that day. However, when presented with a patient with urgent symptoms such as suicidal thoughts, chest pain, possible stroke symptoms etc then our staff are trained to speak to the on-call doctor and seek their advice to the best course of action. This should have happened when you contacted the surgery and I am terribly sorry this process was not followed.
I will be sure to seed this back to the booking service manager to ensure her staff are aware of the correct procedure.
The waiting rooms are busy depending on which clinical staff are working that day. Our larger waiting room (2) has the health care assistant, nurses and half of the GP rooms leading from it and so is busier when more of these staff are working. Waiting room 1 does seem busier as it is smaller but there are only 5 GPs who call from this waiting area.
I am sorry you have experienced such negativity when contacting and attending the practice and it is my genuine wish that you should find your future contact and visits to be positive ones.