Priorslegh Medical Centre

01625872299 Civic Centre, Off Park Lane , Stockport, Cheshire, SK12 1GP

First Class Assistance in an Emergency

Having just returned from a holiday to Thailand I had never expected to end up in hospital on the small island of Koh Phangan with a kidney infection. Obviously being abroad in a private international hospital nothing was free...from the ambulance that collected me, the bed that I was treated in, to the medication that I was administered, therefore it was essential that my travel insurer could cover the cost of my treatment. The hospital requested my travel insurance documents as soon as I arrived and they continued to liaise with my insurer in the 48 hours which followed.

Due to pre booked flights home, myself and my husband were keen to for me to be discharged (with medical agreement) on the third day, however we were unable to leave until the final stages of my insurance case was completed. At this point we were against the clock as the case handlers were due to finish for the evening, we needed to depart the hospital first thing in the morning and with the seven hour time difference we only had a couple of hours left to get the case closed. The final information which was required by my insurer for them to agree to pay the outstanding bill was access to my medical history. I therefore got in contact with Priorslegh Medical Practice to give them consent to share my records with the insurer. Upon contacting the surgery I was put through to the doctor's secretary, after explaining the situation and urgency to obtain this information the doctor jumped on the case straight away. Upon receiving my written consent via email, the doctor and the on-call Dr promptly completed a series of medical questions related to my infection and sent my records to the insurers. Within an hour of making this call we received notification from our case handler at the hospital to say that everything had been reviewed and the insurers had agreed to pay for my hospital treatment in full. This was great news as it meant that we would be able to catch our flight the following morning.

Without the speedy assistance of the staff at Priorslegh Medical Surgery, I would have been unable to leave the hospital, which would have resulted in myself and my husband missing our flights home. I am therefore hugely grateful for the help I received.

During my stay in the Thai hospital the staff, environment and care was excellent, however this all came at a cost. For my two night stay, my medical bill reached in excess of £5,000. This experience made me appreciate the NHS, which as a nation we have access to free of charge; from a trip to the GP, a operation or A&E emergency care. Yes, sometimes it may be difficult to get an appointment at the practice on the day you require, or you may have to wait slightly longer than expected for your appointment, however remember that this is a free service and could cost a small fortune in other countries. The Drs and staff are trying their best to serve their patients as best they can and I thank them for their help on assisting me.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 09 January 2018

Satisfied customer!

My experience has always been good. I haven't seen all the Doctors but seen several of them over the years. I really sympathise with the pressure they are under these days & the reception staff, practise nurses etc have always been kind & courtious. I have heard people speak abomiably to the staff at times & despite this they always keep calm & civil to the patients.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 17 May 2018

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 18 May 2018

Hi

Many thanks for your positive comments, it is always nice to feedback to all the staff that their hard work pays off. I am fortunate that I have a fantastic reception and admin team to support the clinicians and I.

Many thanks,
Tony Reilly-Cooper (Practice Manager)

Anonymous gave Priorslegh Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Getting an appointment and timings

I have been coming to this doctors for over 25 years, recently I have not been able to get an appointment for at least three weeks and I have been told that it’s because they now have a large number of patients.

My last three appointments have been running at least 45 minutes late, with staff saying they don’t know when I would be seen.

Very difficult to actually speak to someone and get an appointment the same day even though it’s a recurring problem.

Every time I phone I seem to be on hold for at least 10-15 minutes.

Very disappointed with the services

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 20 October 2017

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 18 May 2018

Hi,
I am sorry you have not had the experience you expected from the medical centre. I can assure you we are doing everything possible at the moment to address the reduced number of appointments. This is not due to the number of patients we have at the practice and I will investigate why you have been told this; the actual cause is due to 1 clinician being on long term sick and another leaving the medical centre.
Please do not hesitate to contact me at the surgery or via email: priorslegh@nhs.net.

Once again I am sorry we did not deliver the service you were looking for but we are working better to improve appointment availability.

Regards
Tony Reilly-Cooper (Practice Manager)

Excellent care and attention

This GP Surgery should be used as an example to others to show how to care and treat patients. The Reception Staff are always pleasant and go out of their way to help, the Office Staff do their jobs efficiently, the nurses are kind and efficient in everything they do and the Doctors are extremely patient and dedicated. I have received phone calls from the Doctors in the early evening when I would expect them to have finished and should have been at home.I feel very lucky to have such a good team looking after me.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 25 September 2017

Issues

I have always found the doctors to be most helpful as well as the triage service. The nurse practitioner is excellent no problems there. I try to avoid the doctors at all costs but due to a medical condition I have availed there service 4 time in as many weeks. I was getting a bit frustrated with my repeat prescription but now it's all sorted after a consult with an excellent GP . The receptionists and clerical staff are efficient and excellent at there thankless job. I have empathy with them. I was in at the start being born in Poynton at home and wouldn't want another GP service well done for everything

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 12 July 2017

John Watson gave Priorslegh Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

The surgery admin staff need serious training

The place is highly disorganised. There is zero leadership in my view

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 May 2017

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 25 May 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write how you feel. It was great to have a quick chat to determine how we can sort out what you needed which was a booked appointment via email. I am reviewing all our procedures to determine if there is a different way we can support you and other patients who have a preference to use this method of communication. Rest assured, I take any feedback extremely seriously and everyone at Priorslegh is positive about doing the best job possible to care for and support all patients, carers and families who are our 'customers'.

We will do better in future!
Best wishes Tess Shaw

John Watson reviewed Priorslegh Medical Centre

Response to my negative comments

I was pleased to receive a timely response to my complaint. They give me confidence that things are improving at Priorslegh.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Bill B gave Priorslegh Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

My mini stroke (TIA)

I would like to say thank you to three members of staff at Priorsleigh.

My first thanks go to the receptionist and my others thanks go to the two doctors I saw.

On the 2nd March whilst travelling on the bus to meet friends in Manchester I suddenly and without warning felt a strange feeling in my right arm? It began to feel very heavy and unmanageable. This strange feeling lasted for eight to ten minutes and was then gone. I thought, “I hope I’m not having a stroke”. But it turned out to have been just that.

On my return journey to Poynton I decided to call into Priorsleigh and explained the situation to the receptionist who immediately made arrangements for a doctor to call me at home. A subsequent phone call from the doctor resulted in an appointment that same evening. The doctor I saw gave me a most thorough examination in their surgery before phoning Stepping Hill Hospital who said to prescribe a 300mg aspirin and they would telephone me the following day to make a hospital appointment.

All this led to me having scans to both sides of my neck with the result that I had indeed suffered a mini stroke (a TIA). I am now prescribed 20mg statin and 75mg Clopidogrel tablets and restricted from driving for the rest of the month.

The above was in addition to me experiencing a one off episode of blood in my urine relating to my enlarged prostate and an earlier visit to Priorsleigh and consultation with another doctor. This particular doctor arrange a flexible cystoscopy with a follow up CT Urogram Scan on my liver/kidneys/bladder etc all of which have come up as being normal.

Please pass on my grateful thanks to both doctors and to the receptionist
This is one time when the NHS has come out tops in today’s ever critical news coverage.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 22 March 2017

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 25 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a lovely comment about the support and care you had when visiting the GP surgery, all be it after a challenging set of circumstances.
All comments are read carefully and it is very much appreciated that you have written this for us.
Thanks once again

Tess Shaw
Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Priorslegh Medical Centre a rating of 3 stars

Book on the day appointment

Book on the day appointments no way been on the phone on hold for 29minutes this morning to he told all appointments have gone... unable to book for 3 weeks all appointments gone how do you get a appointment ??? Triage ok but again always busy..

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 25 May 2017

I am sorry you had such an experience. I do hope you managed to obtain an appointment and seek the support or help you required. I do manage the appointments carefully to ensure we do have a balance of 'urgent' or 'acute' appointments for immediate clinical needs and routine ones which are about 3-4 weeks pre-bookable for less urgent issues for patients. Sometimes we all struggle to match completely the demand against the possible slots particularly around bank holiday Mondays. The practice has a triage system to help resolve the concerns for patients to make the decision of whether issues are 'acute or routine' or indeed sometimes inbetween. We do find sometimes it is helpful to sign post patients to the best location to resolve the issues they have which can be a GP, nurse, HCA, pharmacy, district nurse or indeed elsewhere.
Additionally, we have had a few challenges with the phone system recently having intermmitment faults of the dialled number person hearing a ringing tone but no call coming in to the reception area. I understand all of these issues are now fully resolved.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to let me know and we will strive to do better in future.
Best Wishes
Tess Shaw Practice Manager

Excellent Care from the Drs, District Nurses/Practice Nurses

I would like to thank all the staff including reception staff for the excellent care I have received over the past 6 months following my accident. The GPs were kind and attentive and sorted out my treatment promptly. All the nurses without exception were kind, caring and very helpful. I have nothing but praise for the excellent care and service I received.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 18 January 2017

Priorslegh Medical Centre replied on 20 January 2017

Thank you for your comments. It is great to hear feedback like this and thank you for taking the time to log it. We will of course ensure that all the staff are forwarded a copy of this feedback.

Warren Tuite