Whitehall Surgery

0113 4677533 Wortley Beck Health Centre , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS12 5SG

H Delaney gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Appalling clinical care and service

I have seen nothing but errors and clinical failings in my recent experience with this practice. A prescription for my 5 year old son's spinal surgery preparation was sent to the wrong address, despite notifying the surgery on 2 previous occasions that it did not exist, when the hospital did notify me and I went to collect it had simply been destroyed with no thought to the welfare of a child about to have surgery or simple phone call to ask why it wasn't collected. The prescription was redone after waiting almost an hour and thankfully the chemist noticed a hugely incorrect dose had been prescribed, another half hour wait to have this resolved. I had cause to give a nail and blood sample and was told the nail sample was normal and no follow up was required only to be phoned 2 days later and told my urine sample (Not given by me) was lost!!! Or was it my nail still no answer to that as yet and i only have a further appointment after insisting that there was still clearly an issue with my nails, one negative test result apparently means you require no further investigations. My bloods required folic acid and no mention of any follow up or explanation as to why folic acid was needed, this is appalling given the significant gynaecological symptoms I have now had for a month, I'm pretty sure folic acid won't fix it but who knows, certainly not the lovely receptionist as there is a significant language barrier in communicating with her. The doctor has been incredibly rude on more than one occasion, in my most recent visit as I dared to ask at the beginning of my appointment for some advice on my nails she then refused to examine me for another issue despite being sat for less than one minute and declared I needed a double appointment for that, waste of an appointment and ccg funding but another appointment you can bill I suppose. I recommended this practice so my mum and dad last year and thankfully they went to Hawthorne upstairs by mistake, I have today collected my transfer form to change to their practice before whitehall provide me with another false sample result or result of a sample I haven't given

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 22 August 2018

Whitehall Surgery has not yet replied.

Oversubscribed and understaffed

Got something you need checking out? Can you wait four weeks? Then this is the place for you!

I recently started a course of new medication and was only given a month's supply (understandable as you need to make sure what your taking is right for you). When I had about two weeks of meds left I decided to give the surgery a ring thinking two weeks would be plenty of time. How wrong I was. Upon calling I was informed that there weren't any appointments for four weeks. Unfortunately that wasn't good enough as I can't have a gap in medication because I will start to go through withdrawals (and that doesn't sound fun). I work 9-5 so finding the time to go to the doctors is often quite difficult and add in the fact that when you call you're often met with the response "you'll have to call back in the morning for tomorrow's slots" is extremely annoying as I don't have the time to listen to the exhaustive telephone message every day only to be told to call back tomorrow.

I worry about my getting my next lot of meds. This does my anxiety no good...

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 05 July 2018

Whitehall Surgery replied on 07 August 2018

I am sorry to hear you have cause to complain regarding appointments. Staff here at the surgery are doing our best under the extreme pressure. Unfortunately it is 3 - 4 weeks for a pre-bookable appointment , however we do have urgent appointments on the day should you need urgent medical treatment. If i can help in anyway please contact me at the surgery.Thank you Joanne Woods Practice Manager.

Krystan Honour gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 2 stars

What a fall from grace

At its core, this is an outstanding surgery.

I have been a member of it for many years and whilst there have been staffing changes I can say that the reception team and management have always been non-typically polite and lovely, in fact, I always tell them that and it is also a factor as to why I continue to use the surgery.

However, recently (within the last year) the ability to get an appointment easily has nosedived. It is now not really possible to get a routine appointment for 4 weeks, Whilst something may not be an emergency, 4 weeks is not acceptable. What about conditions which are not an emergency now but are degenerative or causing big personal problems.

I always used to tell my friends what an amazing place this was. And the doctors I have used here have always been very good technically and provided excellent care. It is true a very experienced GP recently left (my gp) and since then it appears things have gone downhill, however i suspect the departure of one member of staff no matter how experienced is not to blame for what is happening here.

I suspect the team here are unhappy with how the service has deteriorated but have no choice.

My score reflects the current state of affairs it is sad to see this surgery in this state in such a short space of time.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 07 August 2018

Whitehall Surgery replied on 07 August 2018

I am sorry to hear you have cause to complain about the access for an appointment here at the surgery. I agree due to staff retiring, and the lack of funding from NHS England, we as a practice like many others across the city are struggling to keep up with the demands in Primary Care. I am sure you are aware that the NHS is struggling and at crisis point due to capacity / demand and lack of funding. We are doing our best under such extreme pressure. Last month we had 196 appointments where patients failed to attend, despite our practice policy for non attenders, patients still fail to attend. If i can help in anyway please contact me at the surgery. If you are interested in joining our patient participation group please get in touch , this is a patient group who meet frequently with the practice to discuss ways on how we can improve our service / and or suggestions for the practice re services. Thank you Joanne Woods Practice Manager.

Disappointing

Been with this surgery for years and I have never had an issue until recently.
I can never get an appointment when I need one. I was offered an appointment that was over 3 weeks away. I explained that the appointment was for my baby who wasn’t feeding and they said go to the walk-in Center. I was not offered an emergency appointment.
Also my baby’s first checks and immunisations Will not be done until he is 11 weeks. This should be done at 6-8 weeks! This appointment was booked at 4 weeks but was cancelled and rescheduled for when he would of been 12 weeks! The health visitor said this wasn’t good enough and I should call back. The staff member was rude and really upset me . I asked to speak to the manager and was told she would call me Monday.
Still waiting......
Really disappointed.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 20 February 2018

Whitehall Surgery replied on 22 February 2018

I am sorry you have had cause to complain about the service recently. I have not been made aware you were expecting me to call you ? If you would like to contact me at the surgery and I will fully investigate your concerns. I agree your baby needs an appointment for vaccinations , please contact me at the surgery for this to be arranged. I accept we have had some issues recently due to staff illness / staff bereavement etc, however the practice has 2 new GP's soon to join us from April, hopefully this will give patients more accessible appointments.
If I can be of further help please do not hesitate to contact me.

Anonymous gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 4 stars

So difficult to get an appointment

It has always been the case for me that although difficult to get an appointment for myself and my children I have always managed to book one. However for the first time today I was told it would be almost three weeks before I could make an appointment. In the case of a child who needs medical attention this is really unacceptable. You are told by the receptionist to ring back each morning for an appointment but when you do you are left listening to a long message for several minutes and then disconnected as they can only have 5 people on hold at a time. They say this is to save money for those on pay as you go mobiles but it's hardly saving them money when they have to listen to such a long message before being disconnected!

If there are no appointments the least that can be done is to be directed to another service as it is futile trying to ring for an appointment each morning, it's sheer luck as to whether you can get an appointment or not. Once you do get an appointment the staff are lovely but it's such a shame that this is the state of making an appointment.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 15 January 2018

Whitehall Surgery replied on 18 January 2018

I am sorry you are experiencing problems with appointments , I accept for a routine appointment to discuss a non urgent problem it is usually 2 - 3 weeks, however we do have appointments on the day for more urgent problems that cannot wait , If you would like to discuss this with me please contact me at the surgery.
Thank you . Joanne Woods Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Some of the most sickening and disrespectful staff

Their receptionist, their nurses, their doctors. ALL of them that I have had dealings with are grossly misinformed, incredibly disrespectful, frustratingly impolite and utterly incompetent.

I understand this maybe due to the terrible and truly disgusting state of the country due to the current government in power.

But this is no excuse to being so unbelievably rude on delicate and sensitive matters.

Visited in December 2017. Posted on 13 December 2017

Whitehall Surgery replied on 14 December 2017

I am sorry to hear this comment, I have worked here at Whitehall Surgery for over 30yrs and can honestly say I have never had such a disrespectful comment towards staff here. Staff are doing their best under the present circumstances and pressure we are under. You are welcome to move to another GP Practice if you feel we are not meeting your needs.

Anonymous gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Honestly the most disorganised & frustrating place

Getting an appointment here is nigh on impossible. It’s actually rare to even have a chance of being able to see a doctor when you need to.
Trying to utilise either phone or website to get contact is troublesome & disappointing.
Considering most people who want an appointment want some comfort & are already in a bad place mentally, physically & emotionally; this practice just makes this whole thing worse. You won’t feel reassured or looked after. You’ll be made to feel you’re inconveniencing everyone just by being ill.

I managed to get an appointment today & I’ve currently sat for over half an hour without any information as to why things are running late or what to do.
I know as soon as I do get seen it will be a rushed & forced situation of getting to my problem & then pushed out as they’re behind.

The pharmacy that Is also part of the building completes the total lack of care and horrible quality of service.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 20 November 2017

Whitehall Surgery replied on 20 November 2017

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with getting an appointment here at Whitehall Surgery. I agree , we are having difficulty meeting patient demands due to the lack of funding and support in Primary Care. Last month we had 171 appointments where patient's did not attend , we have processes in place now that if patients keep on failing to attend for an appointment they are asked to leave the practice. We are open from 7.20am - 6.00pm Monday - Friday , we are seeing as many patients as we can in a day , we do have to have a cut off point for the doctors late morning for them to visit and look after the patients with cancer . If your need is urgent I advise you to use the walk in centres or A & E .

If I can be of any further help please contact me at the surgery.

Anonymous gave Whitehall Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Patient Feedback

I can always get an appointment when I access on line bookings. Granted they may be in advance but all GP Practices are under pressure. Recently I have only needed one urgent appointment and I managed to get to see a GP that afternoon.
The care that has been provided since I joined the surgery has been first class and I cannot fault any of the consultations I have had with both GP's and Nursing Staff

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 30 November 2017

Whitehall Surgery replied on 05 December 2017

Thank you for your positive comments and understanding.

Ridiculous

Have to sit and listen to the IVR for over a minute for it then to say your call cannot be completed at present! Absolutely ridiculous, why make people sit through that to then not even place in a queue! Disorganised, useless and half the doctors have left, says it all! Placed a repeat prescription in on Monday was told it would be done by Wednesday and come Friday dinnertime they said it needed signing when it'd already been done! Never known anything like it!

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 05 December 2017

Whitehall Surgery replied on 05 December 2017

I am sorry to hear you are not happy with our service. Primary Care is under a lot of pressure , unfortunately we are unable to meet the patient's needs and demands due to recruitment and lack of financial funding , I agree it can be frustrating when you are in queue on the telephone , we changed the amount of phone calls to accept 5 in a queue to help patients who were calling on 'pay as you go' mobiles to prevent cost's to them. Regarding prescriptions , if it helps you , in future why not sign up to Freemans collection service and delivery ? If I can be of any further help please contact me at the surgery.

Absolute disgraceful service.

Ever since been born Whitehall Surgery has always been my GP practice. I am now looking for a new surgery as this one is an absolute joke, week in week out I call for an appointment to be told they have non for two weeks. The last few weeks I have required Emergency appointments & called at 7:30 every day as instructed to still be told there are no appointments available. This has gone on for years, my family and friends are all experiencing the same problems. Appointments here are impossible. I understand there are other patients but me & they have a hierarchy but considering I am under a neurologist & advised to be seeing my GP weekly I'm sure I should be close enough to the top? No matter how hard I explain what's happening I can't even manage to get a phone call back from the GP let alone an appointment, very disappointing. What's worse? They are advertising & taking on new patients when they can't see the existing ones. Ridiculous!

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 30 October 2017

Whitehall Surgery replied on 08 November 2017

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing problems with getting an appointment. Unfortunately due to the pressures now on Primary Care and within the NHS we are working to our capacity. There are a shortage of doctors in the country and we struggling to recruit new GP's which puts pressure on practices due to lack of resources. We are doing are very best here working long hours from 7.00am to 6.00pm , for a pre bookable appointment now it will be at 2 - 3 weeks .

Joanne Woods