Burney Street Pms

02088580631 48 Burney Street, Greenwich , London, Greater London, SE10 8EX

Bad patient care

I went to see the doctor and was concerned about an on going infection and other related issues, the reply was 'it's not like you have cancer'
no prescription
no advice
no explanation
no questions asked
I went to see another doctor at a different time about a possible infection for which they gave me antibiotic for a localised inflammation.
They checked and said I did not have a temperature.
I told them my brain also feels inflamed and painful, my heart and other muscles feel weak, with shooting pain.
They said 'it's probably because you have a temperature!'
They did not send me for any diagnostic test or listen to anything I said, just focused on what thy though was a localised inflammation.
They never ask me questions for diagnostic information. What ever I tell them voluntarily they disregard and make assumptions e.g. for an ongoing infection at another time they said it's because of winter, come spring I went back as the infection was still there - they told me it was due to hay fever !
I am shocked at such incompetent behaviour.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 19 September 2017

Burney Street Pms replied on 11 October 2017

Hello

We are sorry to hear of your experience with Burney Street Practice. We assure you that we strive to provide the best possible care to all of our patients, so are concerned that you have had the problems mentioned in your comment.

As you have entered your comment anonymously, I am unable to make direct contact with you. If you would like to discuss this further please call the surgery on 0208 858 0631.

Maxine Meech
Assistant Practice Manager

Mac gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Service

The practice provides a great service to the local community. Due to the high demand of the service required at times, it can be difficult to get an appointment. The staff tries their best to book my family and I an appointment. The doctors are lovely, helpful, kind, compassionate and helpful with our health problems.

Today I brought the practice a thank you card and a victoria sponge cake to thank them for what they do. Without this service, we would struggle with our health.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 22 August 2017

Burney Street Pms replied on 24 August 2017

Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for the moral boosting compliments, your comments have been shared with the staff along with the cake!

We will strive to continue to provide the great service that you described, we are truly grateful to receive such positive feedback.

Best wishes
Maxine Meech, Assistant Practice Manager
On Behalf of us ALL at Burney Street Practice

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 1 stars

Three weeks to get an appointment

I have been a patient of this surgery for 10+ years, and it's never been this bad!!

You now have to wait three weeks to get a doctor's appointment!

It was bad enough during the winter months (and the response was 'it's cold and flu season, so it's more difficult to give appointments'), but now it's just horrendous!!

It's summer and you need to wait three weeks!! And no, I don't believe this has anything to do with immigration....!

Time to change, me thinks......

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 30 May 2017

Burney Street Pms replied on 22 June 2017

Good morning

Thank you for leaving your feedback on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comments anonymously, I am unable to investigate further and make direct contact with you to discuss the issues raised. I would be happy to discuss them further if you would like to call the surgery.

In the meantime, to clarify:-

Our current waiting time for a routine appointment with a GP is 12 working days. If you are requesting an appointment with a particular GP, then the lead time to wait for that GP can be longer.

We do offer on the day appointments for anyone that has a medical emergency. We also offer a duty doctor telephone triage service daily, again for anyone that has an urgent medical need.

In addition, we offer patients the opportunity to see a doctor at either of the Greenwich Health Hubs based in Eltham and Thamesmead; this service has now been extended from weekends to weekdays too.

We also have very experienced practice nurses that generally have appointments available on a daily basis that can deal with general minor illnesses, cuts, bruises, sexual health.

Maxine Meech
Assistant Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 1 stars

It used to be good, but standards have fallen

Some of the GPs are good, but it's very hit or miss. One of the GPs seems to be very patronising about women's health issues. I will say that all the nurses are lovely, however.

But the main issue here is the receptionists. They are agressive, rude, and seem to want to prevent you from making an appointment rather than helping you book one. I'm pregnant, and have struggled to get the support I need from this GP despite the midwife trying to help me get appointments. The receptionists refuse to book me an appointment and won't take me seriously over the phone. They force you to tell them details of your condition, even when you tell them it's personal and you'd rather not discuss it with them. Then they proceed to use that information to keep you from wanting to make an appointment.

I'm very disappointed - I've used them for 7 years, but won't continue to do so.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Burney Street Pms has not yet replied.

EW reviewed Burney Street Pms

Fantastic service, well done

I joined this GP practice fairly recently having changed from another local practice which was not as good or friendly. I have found all the staff incredibly helpful and accommodating and a big thank you must be said to the nursing team who go above and beyond to accommodate and prioritise patients' needs and have been very kind. Everyone is very professional, friendly and polite, from reception staff through to all the clinical staff and I am much happier at this surgery than my last. Also as the surgery has early and late appointments, the GPs are pretty easy to book appointments with. Plus the online booking system is amazing and easy to use! Keep up the good work!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 January 2017

Burney Street Pms replied on 16 January 2017

Good morning
Thank you so much for leaving such lovely feedback on our surgery. We are glad to hear that your change of GP Practice has been positive and you like the services we offer. We believe we have a great team, but its always good to hear it from our patients for that much needed boost!

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 5 stars

Great gp practice

I have been using this GP practice for the past 6 years. They are a very busy practice and therefore you have to wait for well over a week for an appointment. However I think they have a fantastic duty doctor telephone service in the mornings and will call back often within the hour to talk about your concerns and call you in on the same day if they think need to see you. I think they leave a lot of spaces for more emergeny appointments hence why you have to wait so long for a routine appointment. Every doctor I've seen here over the past 6 years (including have pregnancies here) has been great and if anything I think they are overly cautious when it comes to patient care. I have always felt helped and cared for whether it was for myself or my children. Thank you Burney street, I would definitely recommend you

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 08 January 2017

Burney Street Pms replied on 16 January 2017

Good morning
Thank you so much for leaving such lovely feedback on our surgery. We are glad to hear that you have found our service helpful and equally glad to hear that you would recommend us.

This has been passed to all members of staff for a much needed boost!

Appalling service

I have to completely agree with the large number of patients who have also complained about the treatment you get in this surgery. The receptionists are always plain rude, they have no manners whatsoever and treat patients in an awful way. Furthermore, they never answer the phone. This is bad enough as it is, but you also have two wait two weeks to get a routine medical appointment, a total joke! I will be changing practices soon, had enough.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning

We are sorry to hear that you have cause to complain about the service you have received at the practice. We expect our receptionists to treat all patients in a welcoming and friendly manner. As you may appreciate, the telephones are very busy, and although the perception is that they do not answer the phone, we can assure you that they answer as many calls as possible. A number of patients take up a lot of time on the telephones which impacts the call answering levels. We receive in the region of 200 calls per day with the most busy time being first thing in the morning.

The practice has almost 16,000 patients. We have 9 doctors and 4 nurses who work across both sites (Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre) daily. The practice offer approximately 1400 appointments per week and our current wait for a routine appointment with a GP is 8 working days. We are not open on Saturday or Sunday. We offer on the day appointments for those with medical emergencies and a duty doctor telephone triage service daily for the same.

With winter setting in and flu season upon us, it has got extremely busy and we are doing our best to ensure that our service levels remain as good as they have always been. We apologise that you have had a negative experience with the practice and if you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 1 stars

Awful practice - it used to be good

This practice could not be worse!! You can never get through to them by phone, the receptionists are mega rude and you need to wait two weeks to get an appointment!! Disgusting!!!!

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to make direct contact with you to discuss this further. The practice has almost 16,000 patients. We have 9 doctors and 4 nurses who work across both sites (Burney Street & Wallace Health Centre) daily. The practice offer approximately 1400 appointments per week and our current wait for a routine appointment with a GP is 8 working days. We are not open on Saturday or Sunday.

As you may appreciate, the telephones are very busy. We receive in the region of 200 calls per day with the most busy time being first thing in the morning.

We apologise that you have had a negative experience with the practice and if you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to. .

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 1 stars

Great doctors, appalling reception staff

Once again, absolutely appalled by the lack of care or even basic manners from Burney Street's reception staff. After seeing a brilliant doctor at Wallace Street this morning and being referred for a blood test I was told by an incredibly rude member of staff that there is not one single person who could perform a simple blood test and I would instead have to go elsewhere. This would not be a problem had it been conveyed politely, however this is apparently impossible for Burney Street. Better training for staff with regards to care, or education on manners wouldn't go amiss.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Burney Street Pms replied on 22 June 2016

Good morning
We are sorry to hear that you have not received the level of service we would expect from our reception staff. Our staff are regularly trained in customer service to ensure they have the appropriate tools for dealing with patients. We apologise if this has not been the case on this occasion.

We currently do not have a phlebotomist on site, so are referring our patients to other service providers in the area which would either be another doctors surgery or Queen Elizabeth Hospital. We hope to have a new phlebotomist in place in the next few weeks.

Anonymous gave Burney Street Pms a rating of 1 stars

Poor adminstrative services and rude reception staff

After being registered with the surgery for 6 years I submitted my usual repeat prescription and three weeks later still the prescription wasn't available. On contacting the surgery I was told I had been unregistered, with no explanation. I was informed by the receptionist that I would have to resolve this myself by going through the hassle of registering again, despite this clearly being a mistake made by the surgery. Thoroughly unimpressed by how poorly the receptionist handled this and the way they spoke to me on the phone.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Good morning
Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. As you have entered your comment anonymously, we are unable to make direct contact with you to discuss this further and look into the situation. The practice do not deregister patients unless they are requested to do so by our registration services run by NHS England. This can be because the patient has registered with another practice, has not been seen in the practice for 3 years or more, or if they attend a walk in service had have been mistakenly registered as a patient there.

We would be very interested in finding out who you spoke to on reception so that we can take the appropriate action with them. If you would like to give the practice a call and speak to either Allison Andrews or Jennifer Peters the practice manager, we can look into what has happened and offer a solution to this.