Underwood Surgery

01242580644 139 St Georges Road , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3EQ

David gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

10 day wait is ridiculous

Getting an appointment is a nightmare, this is where you're made to feel like you're wasting time and i expect some people who underestimate their illness are put off by the reception who are pretty aggressive with appointments.

For this specific call, i was ringing on the advice of the PAU at Glos Royal, who said i needed an appt within 48hrs, which i explained, still made no difference, 10days or keep ringing for a cancellation.

10 days for an appointment is far too long. Perhaps this isnt any fault of the surgery, too few GPs, too many people, no idea were responsibility for that would sit, the surgery, local NHS, regional etc. So certainly not apportioning blame.

But the fact remains, its too long and there must be occasions where people are being treated later for conditions if addressed earlier would have been beneficial all round - less time spent on care and less resources used.
Also expect some of the demand ends up elsewhere when it dosnt need to, the 111 service, A&E etc.

10days is also not a one off or dependant on the time of year, its common place.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

poor

really good unless you need to see the GP... or nurse... or anyone...

shocking expect to wait 30 days for an appointment

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 September 2017

Underwood Surgery replied on 26 September 2017

We are sorry that you could not acquire an appointment at a suitable time.
The Surgery provides GP triage appointments every weekday morning and evening for patients who cannot get an appointment quickly enough.
There are also Choice Plus appointments available on the same day and the following day which are appointments held on your behalf, staffed by local GPs for urgent problems.
The Underwood Surgery reviews appointment availability every week early on Monday mornings. We do this because we have to adjust for increases in demand on our appointments every week. For example we can have a sudden influx of university students, we can have staff sickness, holiday and study to contend with. Finally we have part-time GPs and a branch surgery which can also affect your ability to get appointments
Despite the above we believe we have one of the better appointment availabilities in the area.
Looking at the appointments available in advance we could see that the following (not book on day) position for 25/9 2017 at 0700 was as follows:
Next routine GP appointment: Tue 26th September at 0725 which was one day ahead. There were only isolated appointments available within 1 week, but after one week there were a large number.
Please note however that every day we have reserved a dozen or so book-on-day appointments for use by the triage clinician, so you would be seen that day if it was urgent.
As you made the complaint on a Sunday we wonder if you tried to book online and there is some software issue preventing you from booking. It is however difficult to try and understand your difficulty with such a short comment.

Very caring health professionals

I am very happy with the level of care my family receive from Underwood Surgery. The GPs are very caring and considerate, and are very willing to listen.
Very good at getting same day appointments for babies / children. Triage system works well also.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Anonymous reviewed Underwood Surgery

A good doctors

The surgery give priority to seeing young children quickly which is very reassuring. Triage calls work really well too when something feels urgent. It's not a just a phone call with the doctor as they will often ask you to come in the same day if they think it's necessary.

The reception staff are businesslike and effective. The waiting times for an adult are a week to three weeks depending on how busy the surgery is. Three weeks is too long and sign of the times but the triage system is there for emergencies so in the ten years we've been coming, my family and I have never felt underserved.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

great little surgery

Very friendly little surgery with patient staff who will move mountains (speaking from an experience I had to do with emergency prescriptions) to assist.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Patronising and rude reception

The reception staff seem to think they're above anyone, I hate phoning in to book appointments or query things due to how rude I often find them to be. They seem to judge everything, even making a snide comment when I asked for information on the contraceptive pill (which I actually needed for my periods). Get new reception staff and maybe the surgery will do better.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Underwood Surgery replied on 16 August 2016

We are sorry that you had the above poor experiences when you have telephoned our surgery and spoke to our receptionists.
We have a selection of information leaflets in our waiting room including those on contraception.
If you hate phoning to book an appointment then there is the option of attending in person at the surgery to request an online password so that you can book appointments without having to telephone.
Thank you the comments which are feedback to our team.
Doctor Robin Hollands

Tim gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude and abrupt.

I am currently serving in the forces and was on leave when I had chronic ear ache and needed some professional advice from my old practise which I used before joining the service. Because I used to be a patient at this surgery I thought the staff would be familiar, which proved wrong. When I entered the surgery it was completely empty and the staff were at the back of reception unaware of my presence. When they did finally notice me stood there I explained I needed to see a doctor for this pain I was experiencing and the receptionist replied by saying the doctors are all in between clinics and that if have to register and a doctor would call me. I explained that my problem needed to be seen urgently as I couldn't recurve any medical help until I rejoined my unit the following week. On hearing this an appointment suddenly appeared later that afternoon. However I needed to fill out a temporary patience form that had been partly previously completed on the carbon paper as a result of a lack of care from the staff and customer confidentiality. I was asked what doctor I use at work but I explained that we don't have designated doctors in the force and one of the receptionist said " it's SMO in the RAF" when I replied I'm not in the RAF. The way the receptionist came across was abrupt and short. When I had finally completed the form I asked who I was booked in with and the reply was "a doctor" which wasn't what I was after. I felt considering I was the only patient in the surgery and a new customer I should have been treated like any other and with the respect we all deserve as people regardless of our backgrounds. I will never return here after this appointment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016

Excellent practice

All the doctors and other staff that I have met at this practice have been approachable and caring, as well as good at what they do. The practice has an excellent telephone triage system that makes it easy to get help on the same day if you have an urgent or acute problem (either over the phone or in the surgery if the phone call establishes that that's needed), and the online booking system also makes it straightforward to see when you can get an appointment with a particular doctor several days ahead, if that's what you need.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

SJG gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 5 stars

Good service for my elderly mum

My elderly mother recently moved to Cheltenham from Scotland. They registered with Underwood as it is the most convenient for her. She had a bit of a rocky start mainly due to her age/health/confusion but once we got all the issues ironed out, around Consent and sharing of information, she has nothing but good words to say about the surgery, Dr is very patient with her, involves mum in decisions and gives me a courtesy call if we are not sure that mum has shared all the necessary details. Please pass on my thanks to all receptionists who probably have some very strange conversations with mum and to all the staff for their time and patience in a demanding environment. Keep smiling!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 05 July 2016