Underwood Surgery

01242580644 139 St Georges Road , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50 3EQ

Johnpickett93 gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Rude and irresponsible

Rang to query my prescription insulin being withheld from me via pharmacy and was told that the doctor was only giving me 3-5 days worth of insulin because I needed to book an appointment, which I had done over 3 weeks previous.The only reason an appointment hadn't been booked sooner was because my post was being sent to the wrong address, which I told the reception in January.

Seeing as without insulin I will be hospitalized I said that I felt that was irresponsible of them and the receptionist told me I was the one who was irresponsible and it was my fault.

Anything could happen in this weather. I could have slipped and broken the 1 vial provided and then I would be left with nothing and be in real problems. Perhaps a working knowledge of how important insulin is to a diabetic is needed.

Luckily a doctor phoned me and was very helpful.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 02 March 2018

Underwood Surgery replied on 02 March 2018

I am sorry that you felt we were rude and irresponsible when you phoned.
The Surgery has a problem with a large number of diabetics who register with us but who then fail to come to any review appointments. Most of these diabetics are managed by hospitals around the country but because of the slow NHS system we often don't know anything about their care, don't know their doses of insulin, and don't know how well their diabetes is controlled. The only way to find out is for our patient to attend a diabetic appointment with our diabetic nurse. She will provide a comprehensive review and as she is a nurse prescriber will adjust all medications to help with restocking.
We send reminders by letter, by text, then by a reminder in the dose of the insulin.Sometimes not all of these systems work so sorry if your letter went to the wrong address. Finally as we don't want to throw patients off our list we reduce slightly the amount of stock we give. This latter approach is difficult but normally we would still issue one month supply at a minimum and it is only done to try and help patients remember to book as more reminders are generated by giving 1 month rather than 3 months stock. In your case it sounds like 1 vial of insulin only lasts a few days so this was not right; we would not have been aware of this so apologies if this was the case. As you have booked into see our Diabetic nurse hopefully we can sort out all the above issues and to prevent this happening again; yours Dr Robin Hollands

Annoyed Iill patient gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

Sub standard

Apart from 1 receptionist, I have had nothing but trouble over the years. Regularly have problems with repeat prescriptions, once they lost 3 in 1 day.

One doctor aside, I have completely lost confidence in this surgery, I once spent the whole consultation arguing with TWO doctors about eye drops recommended by optician, I was proved right, was given no apology.
Too many issues to note, just diabolical care.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 27 March 2018

Izam Manolis gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

The Practice was shut before the closing time

I went to this surgery yesterday 05/01/18 at 6:05pm rushing to get there after work to find it shut, despite their contractual closing time being 6:30 as displayed on their website etc.

When I got there all of the doors were locked and the lights were all off expect one window at the far side of the building. I knocked on this window and waited. Eventually a lady came and opened the adjacent door slightly and peered through (this was a side door not accessible to the public), she didn't ask what I was there fore and just said "sorry we are shut".

I explained that I was there to pass on some paperwork/records onto reception, and I had called earlier and the receptionist said they were open till 6:30pm.

The lady then said sorry I am the emergency Dr tonight and there is no other staff here now, come back on monday. I said that the surgery is supposed to be open until 6:30, she did not explain why it was shut early, but just repeated that she cant help me as she is just the emergency Dr.

I then asked her if she is the emergency Dr, how are patients who need emergency help supposed to access her if everything is shut? She replied that they wouldn't be able to access her as they are now shut, and with that she shut the door.

Is this appropriate?

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 06 January 2018

Underwood Surgery replied on 08 January 2018

We are sorry that you attended the surgery and expected to find us fully open. Unfortunately, as published on our website, we are not fully open after 1800 on a Friday. We have reviewed this decision on a number of occasions and found there is little demand for appointment requests or routine enquires during the last half hour of the week. There is no statutory requirement for us to provide a receptionist, but we do provide emergency treatment via the telephone and in addition if a patient arrives at the surgery unwell, the on call doctor will answer as you discovered.

We are sorry if one of our receptionists told you to attend after 1800 when only the on call doctor would have been here. We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate it must have been frustrating for you to make the journey and then find you could not hand over the documents. We will speak to the doctor involved but she is away on holiday this week.

Very good practise

I’ve been a patient here for over 15 years and have nothing but thanks to all the doctors, nurses and receptionists who I have had contact with over the years. I would recommend this practice to anyone as the doctors are good, kind and experienced with strong links and knowledge of the area.
Re getting an appointment, they have a triage system for urgent cases, you can always speak to a doctor on the day who will be able to advise you what to do, or see you that day if need be, and I’d advise anyone to book routine appointments with their usual gp in advance, or to use system online.
Finally re paperwork etc, I’ve never had any issues either dropping of or picking up correspondence from this surgery. Reception are very helpful, that said I know the surgery’s opening hours so come by when they are open.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 17 January 2018

David gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

10 day wait is ridiculous

Getting an appointment is a nightmare, this is where you're made to feel like you're wasting time and i expect some people who underestimate their illness are put off by the reception who are pretty aggressive with appointments.

For this specific call, i was ringing on the advice of the PAU at Glos Royal, who said i needed an appt within 48hrs, which i explained, still made no difference, 10days or keep ringing for a cancellation.

10 days for an appointment is far too long. Perhaps this isnt any fault of the surgery, too few GPs, too many people, no idea were responsibility for that would sit, the surgery, local NHS, regional etc. So certainly not apportioning blame.

But the fact remains, its too long and there must be occasions where people are being treated later for conditions if addressed earlier would have been beneficial all round - less time spent on care and less resources used.
Also expect some of the demand ends up elsewhere when it dosnt need to, the 111 service, A&E etc.

10days is also not a one off or dependant on the time of year, its common place.

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 09 October 2017

Underwood Surgery replied on 08 January 2018

We are sorry that you were not offered an appointment within a suitable time. The surgery has an on call doctor and GP triage appointments every weekday morning and evening for patients who cannot get an appointment quickly enough. There are also Choice Plus appointments available on the same day and the following day which are appointments held on your behalf, staffed by local GPs for urgent problems. We appreciate it can sometimes be difficult to find an appointment if your problem is not urgent or you need to see a particular GP, but unfortunately we do not have enough information to be able to investigate why you were not offered an appointment sooner, especially if PAU had advised you to see a doctor within 48 hours.

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 1 stars

poor

really good unless you need to see the GP... or nurse... or anyone...

shocking expect to wait 30 days for an appointment

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 24 September 2017

Underwood Surgery replied on 26 September 2017

We are sorry that you could not acquire an appointment at a suitable time.
The Surgery provides GP triage appointments every weekday morning and evening for patients who cannot get an appointment quickly enough.
The Underwood Surgery reviews appointment availability every week early on Monday mornings. We do this because we have to adjust for increases in demand on our appointments every week. For example we can have a sudden influx of university students, we can have staff sickness, holiday and study to contend with. Finally we have part-time GPs and a branch surgery which can also affect your ability to get appointments
Despite the above we believe we have one of the better appointment availabilities in the area.
Looking at the appointments available in advance we could see that the following (not book on day) position for 25/9 2017 at 0700 was as follows:
Next routine GP appointment: Tue 26th September at 0725 which was one day ahead. There were only isolated appointments available within 1 week, but after one week there were a large number.
Please note however that every day we have reserved a dozen or so book-on-day appointments for use by the triage clinician, so you would be seen that day if it was urgent.
As you made the complaint on a Sunday we wonder if you tried to book online and there is some software issue preventing you from booking. It is however difficult to try and understand your difficulty with such a short comment.

Very caring health professionals

I am very happy with the level of care my family receive from Underwood Surgery. The GPs are very caring and considerate, and are very willing to listen.
Very good at getting same day appointments for babies / children. Triage system works well also.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Anonymous reviewed Underwood Surgery

A good doctors

The surgery give priority to seeing young children quickly which is very reassuring. Triage calls work really well too when something feels urgent. It's not a just a phone call with the doctor as they will often ask you to come in the same day if they think it's necessary.

The reception staff are businesslike and effective. The waiting times for an adult are a week to three weeks depending on how busy the surgery is. Three weeks is too long and sign of the times but the triage system is there for emergencies so in the ten years we've been coming, my family and I have never felt underserved.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 15 May 2017

great little surgery

Very friendly little surgery with patient staff who will move mountains (speaking from an experience I had to do with emergency prescriptions) to assist.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 26 May 2017

Anonymous gave Underwood Surgery a rating of 2 stars

Patronising and rude reception

The reception staff seem to think they're above anyone, I hate phoning in to book appointments or query things due to how rude I often find them to be. They seem to judge everything, even making a snide comment when I asked for information on the contraceptive pill (which I actually needed for my periods). Get new reception staff and maybe the surgery will do better.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 15 August 2016

Underwood Surgery replied on 16 August 2016

We are sorry that you had the above poor experiences when you have telephoned our surgery and spoke to our receptionists.
We have a selection of information leaflets in our waiting room including those on contraception.
If you hate phoning to book an appointment then there is the option of attending in person at the surgery to request an online password so that you can book appointments without having to telephone.
Thank you the comments which are feedback to our team.
Doctor Robin Hollands