Colville Health Centre

02077274592 51 Kensington Park Road , London, Greater London, W11 1PA

Badly deteriorated surgery, sadly

It regularly takes around 20 minutes to get through by telephone, and one is then asked to give personal information to the reception staff which I find intrusive and inappropriate. The same happens if you walk in, staff ask for intimate information, loudly, in the main reception area where many other patients are present.

The appointments system is regularly running late, and as today this appears sometimes to be by an hour or more.

Staff offer a callback time from a doctor, but this is not kept to which is very difficult for those of us who are working and cannot easily take calls. Because the appointments overrun, the call back times can be up to an hour and a half late. This increases anxiety and leads to frustration which is not helpful to an ill person.

Reception staff can be quite patronising.

The team that do smear tests and blood tests have twice done very painful tests, so that the tests actually had to be repeated but I personally do not want to come back and risk the same painful experience.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018

Thinking about leaving after 30 years

After nearly 30 years of being treated at this GP surgery I may have to leave. The quality of care at this surgery has been getting worse every year. I have many health conditions so moving gp will cause me allot of complications (record wise) but it’s now something I need to consider. They have a total lack of understanding when it comes to the needs of physically disabled patients. You can’t book your appointment ahead so you can’t book a carer to take you in. When you can’t get in they suggest going to a&e even when it is not an emergency. The only good dr is not seeing patients and from what I understand is only doing paperwork. You see a different dr every time and they refuse to listen to the patient esp when the patient understands their condition more then the dr. they don’t have a good relationship with us because you see a random dr every time and most of them seem to have very little understanding of people with chronic health conditions. I don’t receive the right quality of care and feel like they talk to me like I am stupid. I can’t even get letters written by any of the new drs because they don’t know who I am or understand my conditions. For example I have had asthma for 23 years and I am hardly in a&e with it because of my asthma plan. I have had backup steroids at home for years and it is also in my asthma plan. I needed more steroids today as I have run out. My asthma is still at a level where I can treat it at home to prevent me going to a&e and esp on a hot day. My oxygen is at 99 and peak flow is at an acceptable level which the gp never asked about. The new gp I spoke to over the phone refused to prescribe a normal medication. I explained it’s in my asthma plan from the hospital, it’s a normal three days of steroids and I have had asthma since I was 7 so I know how to treat it. I obviously know when I need a ambulance I’m not stupid. She said I had to come in but because I have no one to bring me in and I can’t walk due to disability I can’t come in. She then told me the reason you can’t come in is because your breathing is bad so You have to go to a&e (completely ignoring that it’s my legs that’s the problem) now I have to sit at home praying my preventable asthma doesn’t progress and if it dose I have to go to a&e which is what I am trying to avoid. Bdw this is not the first dr at this surgery who ignored my asthma plan and didn’t understand asthma treatment. All of this could be solved by having drs who understand asthma, drs who know their patients and their history, having regular asthma checks at the gp (which used to happen), understanding disability and sorting out Home visits or district nurses for disabled patients, having a regular gp who will build a relationship with their patient and the surgery actually listening to patient feedback and attempting to improve care. This is not the first time I have had problems here and it’s becoming a regular occurrence.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 25 July 2018

Anonymous gave Colville Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

Hopeless failure to make medical help available

It is impossible to be seen by this surgery. They make you audition for an appointment over the phone, then when you have accepted this arrangement — barely practical for those of us who don't wish to be overheard discussing bowel movements by colleagues or pupils — they don't even ring when they say they will.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 25 May 2018

Colville Health Centre replied on 31 May 2018

Dear Patient, I am sorry to hear that you have cause for complaint and I will try and address your concerns. Owing to a number of factors, we needed to develop an improved access system to the surgery. Waiting times were unsatisfactorily long from both a GP and patient point of view and demands for appointments have been ever increasing particularly over recent years. So the telephone triage system was introduced in May 2016. The telephone triage system involves only one significant change for patients and that is rather than make their appointment at the reception, the GP contacts the patient first. This requires the patient to leave a brief message, a telephone number and a convenient time to receive a call back from the GP. Although this may seem an inconvenient step, the reality is that by having this single triage conversation the surgery is able to stream patients into categories such as admin (medical statements, letters, chasing referrals), prescription requests or queries and clinical either routine or urgent. If patients do not want to provide brief details, they can simply say ‘Personal’. Some patients prefer not to have to come to the surgery unless required and are very happy to take medical advice over the phone. Some patients require sign posting rather than an appointment and this can be dealt with efficiently over the phone. Other patients prefer the traditional face to face contact with their GP and this remains totally possible with the telephone triage system. In fact by resolving many patient issues on the phone the surgery is able to see all those patients requesting an appointment in a timelier manner. We hope that you do not see this as an obstacle but an enabler to allow the surgery to deal with patients more effectively, to allow more patient consultations per day, offer patients different consultation options and very importantly allow us to identify urgent medical matters that need prompt medical treatment. With regards to discussing confidential issues over the phone, if you are in a place where you cannot talk to a GP, please mention this to the GP so you can be offered a face to face appointment on the day or when it is convenient for you to come in. The GPs try to ring patients on the day but if they cannot they do inform patients that why they could not ring them and when they will ring them. If you have not been informed, please let me know so I can speak to the GPs.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me on 0207 727 4592. I am grateful for any feedback that we receive to help us to improve our services.

Anonymous gave Colville Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Efficient and Helpful

My daughter who had recently moved back temporarily needed to be registered quickly as she needed a repeat prescription. As she works unsocial hours I had to contact the surgery on her behalf. The receptionist was helpful and understanding and registered her that day. My daughter tells me that when she rang up to speak with a doctor she received excellent and helpful service from both the reception and the doctor and the prescription was ready the following morning which I collected for her. I have had occasion myself to use the telephone service a couple of times in the last year and I also have found that service efficient and effective, saving both myself and the time of doctors allowing more time to see more serious cases.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 23 March 2018

Ani Gigorian gave Colville Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

45 minutes waiting time

I have visited the Colville Clinic twice in the past 6 months and both times I was made to wait for over 40 minutes without anyone giving me any explanation as to the reason for the wait. Today, after a 45 minute wait I was told by a doctor (after I prompted them for an explanation) that they had an emergency they had to deal with, which was speaking to coroners for a patient. I am not sure why this is more urgent than my case, especially if it is not a life or death situation any longer. In any case, I was very stressed as I was late for meetings in a very demanding job while 7 months pregnant. I am unhappy, as I was not given an explanation as to the wait while I was waiting at the reception. The doctor should have taken a minute to come out and explain why I was waiting. I asked the receptionist 4 times and they had no answer. In summary, appalling service and extremely stressful, something one doesn't need when visiting a doctor, given the million other causes of stress in life one needs to deal with.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 15 November 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 16 November 2017

Dear Ani, please accept our sincere apologies for having to wait for over 40 minutes twice in the past 6 months and we agree that it is unacceptable. There are several reasons the doctor surgery can run late and liaising with other health care professionals such as the Coroner can be one of the reason as we are sometime restricted to their time availability. This is regrettable and we do try to organise these types of discussion to non surgery time but it is not always possible. The discussion yesterday took longer than the doctor was expecting. The doctor deeply apologises for the stress caused by the waiting time yesterday and we are in an agreement that some explanation to you would have been appropriate. We have discussed with the receptionist and will endeavour to notify patients if the doctor is running late.

Anonymous reviewed Colville Health Centre

I have been delighted with my treatment

Since I have been coming to the Colville Health Centre I have been delighted with my treatment. My doctor is wonderful at explaining treatment but when they have not been here and I have seen one of the other doctors they have all been similar in their attentions to me. The phone help is also really good and the reception staff are very polite and never intrusive. I would recommend this practice at the best I have ever been to and I would add that I had been to some other practices in this area before I came here.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 16 November 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 15 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It is much apprecaited.

Mahendra Wijetunge reviewed Colville Health Centre

Access to a doctor not possible. Appear to be ignorant of IBS

Have found it impossible to secure a face to face appointment with designated doctor. I suffer from Irritable Bladder Syndrome. My Doctor appear to be quite ignorant of available treatments for this condition. I experienced the need to Void my bladder very frequently some 25 years ago. For this condition i have had 2-episodes of TURP, Augmentation Cystoplasty, 4 episodes of Botox at UCHL. UCH was happy to keep on offering me Botox annually in spite of my stating that benefit to me was practically nil, hence suggested an alternative course of available treatments. In response the consultant urologist, after Urodynamic tests suggested Artificial Urinary Sphincter was the best option. I was sceptical. I made discreet inquiries and discovered that almost all who underwent this procedure experienced extreme pain/ discomfort accompanied with bleeding. I was sceptical because i was able to control my sphincter function as i was able to hold on without leakage for up to 20 to 25 minutes after experiencing urge incontinence.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 11 October 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 15 March 2018

Dear Patient, I am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience. I would be grateful if you would contact me on 0207 727 4592 so that I can discuss your concerns further. We are grateful for any feedback that we receive to help us to improve our services.

Anonymous gave Colville Health Centre a rating of 5 stars

Thank goodness for the new triage system

Following a recent visit with you at the health centre, I am writing to offer a little feedback.
Thank goodness for the new triage system that meant I was able to make an urgent appointment and see you, all within less than an hour, last week. The efficiency of the system, not to mention the excellent consultation with you, and your decision to send me immediately to hospital, got me the urgent care I needed.
The reason for the note is that, in my experience, trying to make an appointment before the triage system was in place, no matter how urgent, was a painful, painful exercise, usually impossible to achieve. I am not sure what would have happened to me last Friday if the surgery had still been working to old methods.
Before the new system, on the various occasions I called to arrange to see a doctor, I wasn’t just met with – honestly – utter fury, but barriers, every which way – mostly, I was angrily told to call back but when I did, I was just told to call back again. If I were very lucky I’d offered an appointment days, or weeks away. I usually abandoned any attempt to see a GP. One particular occasion springs to mind: I remember, literally, begging to come in to discuss (and discover) test results for an ear infection following the doctor’s advice to do so. It was all made to seem so difficult, just to book in for a non-urgent appointment, that I had to hang up. I still don’t know those test results.
And so, you can imagine, it’s such a relief to know that everyone has access to a doctor again. I think the new system will please patients who are bound to have had experiences similar to mine. But most crucially, this all allows urgent cases to be given priority while non-urgent receive reassurance over the phone. It absolutely works.
Thank you again for your care and expertise.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 18 July 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 15 March 2018

Thank you for your feedback. It is much apprecaited.

Doctor response

Still not able to book an appointment online as stated in blurb. Phoned in the morning and was promised call back in the morning. No call back happened in the morning. Don't go there if you require emergency help. Very poor service.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 22 June 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 22 June 2017

Dear Patient, I am sorry to hear that you have not been contacted yet. The GPs are still going through their lists and they will contact you. If you have an urgent problem to discuss, please do mention at the time of leaving the message for a GP so the GP can contact you before calling other patients.
As far as online appointments are concerned, all patient appointment requests are triaged by a GP so this facility is not available for the GP appointments but you can book online appointments with the practice nurse and you can request your repeat medications online. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me on 0207 727 4592. We are grateful for any feedback that we receive to help us to improve our services.

Anonymous gave Colville Health Centre a rating of 2 stars

Delayed referral

My wife was referred to St Mary's 16/5/17 however when I rang st Mary's beginning of June they had not received the referral.
My wife rang the practice & the GP rang back later that day. The GP was quite abrupt and said that they made us aware there would be a wait for an appointment.
The GP confirmed they made the referral and to wait for appointment letter.
I rang st Mary's to check they had received the referral and they had not, I rang back and asked for the referral to be resent and to confirm when this had been done.
I rang st Mary's the next week and they still have not received a referral, I rang GP practice and receptionist told me it's on today's to do list and we would be called to confirm.
Sadly have not heard anything.
I appreciate we have to wait for an appointment at the hospital but for a referral to be delayed by a month is just an unnecessary wait on top of any hospital waiting list.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 13 June 2017

Colville Health Centre replied on 20 June 2017

Dear Patient, I am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience of the surgery and I would be grateful if you would contact me on 0207 727 4592 so that I can discuss your concerns further. We are grateful for any feedback that we receive to help us to improve our services.