Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre

01132953666 216 Kirkstall Lane , Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS6 3DS

AT A COMPLETE LOSS gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Emergency appointment process

I am really disappointed and frustrated with the system put in place for emergency appointments because there is a serious flaw in the call-back systems.

Every single time I have called for an appointment of this nature I am told a call back will be in the next 2 hours which is fine, no problem with this at all.

I then wait for a call-back on my mobile phone, or an alternative number I have provided such as work or my wife mobile. Great, all sorted - I can sit back in confidence knowing that the doctor on duty- all of which are fantastic doctors btw- will call me back...BUT NO!

I keep my phone next to me at all time, even to the toilet, just in case a call comes through...all is quiet while I wait...then LO AND BEHOLD a message on my phone saying someone has tried to call me back but has been unable to get through but MY PHONE HASNT RUNG, not once, not a slight tinkle of my ringtone so I call the surgery straight back and because the doctors are so busy- and that's fine, its the NHS so they are overworked- so I cant be put through to the duty doctor and am told not to worry, my call will be noted, and the duty doctor will try again later. SAME PROBLEM AGAIN!

The first few times this happened I thought, 'fair enough, its a new system, maybe there is something wrong with my phone, or the system', but despite me mentioning this time and time again whenever I have had to call for an emergency appointment the SAME THING HAPPENS!?! I have called my mobile phone provider who confirmed there is no block on the number for Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre, no reason why they cant get through. I have checked all the settings on my phone, no reason why they- bearing in mind everyone else can reach me on my phone- cannot get through....what is going on!?

Today I came in to the surgery in person and spoke to the lady on reception and she took my work number and extension number because I explained that calls never come through to my mobile. Phew I thought, I have lots of people in my office fielding calls and they can just put the doctor through to me. BUT NO, IT CANT BE THAT EASY CAN IT!!!??

I get a text message on my mobile at 8:38am and 10:46 saying we have been unable to reach you... When I saw the first missed call I thought that it was maybe just the doctor, exhausted from the previous day of being overworked by the NHS payroll, maybe just didn't see the note about calling my work line so I (what a mistake!) decided to leave it until the next attempt....BUT AGAIN, NO CALL!?!

As an attempt to level things out, I really respect my Doctor, and all the other Doctors at the surgery, and the other medical staff are lovely. I also respect the receptionists who are generally great here too.

But it certainly appears you are being LET DOWN by your own system if you cant even get a call out to a patient successfully. Please fix it!!!

Btw- my wife has the same problem on a different phone network.

Visited in December 2018. Posted on 04 December 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

A wonderfully supportive team of professionals

I have been registered with the practice for over thirty years. I can state categorically that I have always received first class care and support from the staff. Over the years, the practice has provided me with everything from routine screening tests/inoculations/minor surgical treatment to, more recently, services to investigate then manage a reasonably complex, debilitating condition. I have been unfortunate enough to have needed a lot of medical attention, but feel absolutely blessed to have had access to such fine care and support. The practice is busy, but well-organised and "open all hours"! There is a generosity of staff time and patience in evidence every time I visit the surgery. Online services are comprehensive and reliable; you can manage your own appointments, prescription requests, and view test results and records.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 03 December 2018

Anna gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

An excellent experience

Over the past 6 weeks I have had several appointments and seen a practice nurse who was thorough, kind and respectful. I have also seen two doctors both of whom spent time listening to my history, made me feel comfortable and supported and provided me with a thorough service. Thank you to the team at Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 10 August 2018

Zenon Stavrinides gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

My experience with Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre

Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre was my surgery during all 32 years I lived in Leeds. During this period I lived in three different addresses, one of which was a considerable distance away from Kirkstall Lane, yet I didn`t want to change my surgery because I trusted and liked the doctors and the other staff, and I got sterling service all along.

If there was any respect in which I would have liked things to be different, that was to see the surgery employ more good doctors, so I could see the particular doctor of my choice (the one who followed a particular ailment of mine) without having to wait more than a few days. But then we all know that the NHS is understaffed!

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 27 October 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 4 stars

Practice patient for 5+ years

Fairly easy to contact the practice by phone, staff are usually friendly and approachable and take the time to explain and discuss care and treatment thoroughly. Have had mixed experiences over the years but generally positive and overall would recommend staying with the practice once you find a doctor who you're happy with.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 02 August 2018

Steve C gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Always helpful

Over the last few months I have had a problem which generated my having to have a number of blood tests, vascular & lymphatic tests along with some scans and a biopsy. At all times I was treated exceptionally by all the staff involved at the hospitals and especially at my GP's surgery who assisted by way of ensuring referrals were made as soon as possible, tests were carried out as quickly as possible, but more importantly having a port of call to talk about the issues, diagnoses and possible outcomes.

I was very lucky in that all my tests came out clear, but it was a comfort knowing that there was always someone to talk to if necessary. I've been registered with this practice for 50 years and have never felt the need to look for anyone else, even through change of doctors due to retirements.

When I go for my regular blood pressure checks I always feel I can have a conversation with my GP on any health topic/concern and know I'll always get a friendly helpful response even If I've worried unnecessarily and don't feel I've wasted their time.

I bear in mind that doctor's are under increasing pressure and ensure I call in plenty of time to get an appointment which suits me and probably 99% of times this can be organised.

I'm more than happy to recommend this practice.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 19 July 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 5 stars

Given time

Excellent consultation with doctor who was happy to listen and address a series of small problems. Made to feel like he had the time to talk even though they were clearly busy. Thank you.

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 21 July 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Shocking the way they treat you

Whenever you contact the surgery you can never get an appointment, it’s always 1 to 2 weeks wait, which is disgusting, and the receptionists don’t seem to communicate with each other at all, one will tell you one thing, then when you speak to another receptionist, they tell you something totally different, which is both upsetting and annoying.
The doctors are usually nice and friendly, although there are a few that just think your illness is all in your head, when clearly it is not

Visited in July 2018. Posted on 24 July 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 1 stars

Going downhill rapidly

This used to be an excellent GP surgery - massively gone down hill last few years since older GPs have left. The newly trained doctors are sloppy and rude, except one, most receptionists are ok but there are a few who have elevated themselves to position GP status and feel it appropriate to dictate to me whether I need an appointment acutely - last time I checked, receptionist were not medically trained. For example, requested pain medications, doctor refused request due to a need for a medication review. Can't understand why the GP dealing with this could not pick up the phone and talk with me rather then just declining my medication, when they can see my problems - this in my mind is a very poor attitude on behalf of the GPs, and this has happened on more than one occasion with several different GPs at the surgery. And worst still, nobody let me know that the script had been declined. I have a chronic pain condition that means I need pain meds - this is documented in my notes - I was left without pain medicines for over 2 weeks. I was not able to get out of the house due to poor mobility. I have never called the GP for a home visit in 25 years and always come to surgery for my health needs but next time, I will request a home visit for my medication review and to ensure I have a prescription for acute medication. Very disappointed.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 29 July 2018

Anonymous gave Kirkstall Lane Medical Centre a rating of 2 stars

Waiting over 4 weeks for appointments

I've been going to this GP practice for years. However in the last year or so, two doctors have retired and never replaced. Now, you have to wait on average 4 weeks for an appointment. The receptionist are always new, the old ones always knew what they were doing. I really don't want to leave as there is still 2 very nice doctors there, but they have too many people registered to the practice and not enough doctors. So if nothing changes soon, I shall sadly be leaving.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 27 June 2018