Southwood Practice

01252371715 Southwood Practice, Links Way , Farnborough, Hampshire, GU14 0NA

Dreadful

This practice continues to let me and my young family down. Every time I try to call to make an appointment, I have to try over 30 times to get through and the vast majority of the time I am then told that there no appointments available, even for my young baby. I have been told to call 111. The online bookable system does not work (and I have plenty of experience in systems so this is not user error). On the rare occasion that I have managed to get an appointment I have had to wait over an hour with two young children in a small hot waiting room. The staff could have told us when we checked in. The last time I took my toddler to be seen, the doctor completely missed that he was suffering with tonsillitis (ended up taking him to hospital the next day as he was refusing all fluid and we knew the doctor had missed something).

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 08 May 2018

Southwood Practice replied on 10 May 2018

We are sorry to read your comments and concerns with Southwood Practice. Patients were asked to contact 111 on an afternoon when all the local clinicians were on a training and development afternoon. The emergency cover for the practices had been arranged by the Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) and was via the 111 service. We and the CCG are aware of some communication issues on that day and apologise for the service on that day.

Due to the high demand on our service the Practices offers an on the day appointment system, there are some pre booked surgeries with clinicians in the evening but these are generally booked in advance and are very popular. We do have appointments available on line to book, they are released at 8.30am in the morning each day. Our online system for booking are only for GP appointments.

Once again we are sorry you have cause to be concerned about the service the Practice offers, If you wish to discuss the matter in greater details, please call the Practice Manager on 01252 371715 who will be happy to investigate in more detail.

Terrible access

found lump and tried to get an appointment the following week. Managed to get through by 9am to be told all urgent appointments for the day had been allocated and to call back the next day. Same again for the next 3 days. Surely calling in the lottery phone line for 4 days in a row is unacceptable for an urgent appointment - there is no reserve capacity.

Terrible access- not the receptionists vault- it’s a broken system where those that are ill are turned away.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 14 June 2018

Southwood Practice replied on 15 June 2018

Thank you for your comments; we are disappointed to hear that you are unhappy with the service you have received.

The Practice offer same day GP appointments, available from 8:30am each day, these can be booked either by telephone, in person or on-line via EMIS ACCESS, provided that you have signed up and have a secure PIN. Advanced Evening appointments are available 3 evenings a week and can be booked up to 2 weeks in advance; a limited number of these are also available to book on-line. E-consultations appointments access is from our website for those patient with internet access.

If all the days capacity has been filled we should offer the Duty GP to call you back on that day, they can clinical access your concerns. We appear to have failed to offer you this option on the days you have called.

Please accept our apologies as we did not fully explain our appointment system to you and how to access our services.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the Practice Manager.

Stuart M gave Southwood Practice a rating of 5 stars

Superb service over many years

My family has been receiving GO services from this small but dedicated service for many years, these have been right across the illness spectrums from on going chronic conditions to joint pain as well as mental health. All have been delivered in a timly and professional manner. 9 out of 10 of my appointments have been with the same doctor. Have never failed to get an emergency appointment on the day. Staff are very professional all the time.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 30 June 2018

Anonymous gave Southwood Practice a rating of 1 stars

In my experience I can not recommend this practice ..

Can not recommend this practice..emails go unreplied too ...emails are made assumptions upon and not clarified .. setting up online services had to abandoned .nobody could figure out the system to register ..senior figures seem to take a defensive attitude rather helpful to problems ..I've given up xx

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 20 March 2018

Southwood Practice replied on 21 March 2018

We are sorry to read your comments and concerns about communication with Southwood Practice.

Anonymous gave Southwood Practice a rating of 5 stars

Treatment of burnt hand by Practice Nurse over 6 week period

I arrived at Southwood Practice on the morning of 28th February 2018 with a burnt right hand due to picking up a metal coffee maker, by the metal, off the cooker which had come to the boil. I did this during an absence as I have epilepsy and so was completely unaware of what I was doing. It was only as I started to come around about 10 minutes later that I became aware of the pain by which time the fingers and palm of my hand had swollen badly. I automatically asked my husband to take me to the Southwood Practice. I was in a great deal of pain. The Practice Nurse bandaged my hand and asked the doctor if I could be transferred to the Burns Unit at Salisbury Hospital immediately. I was very grateful for the speed that she and all the rest of the team at Southwood Practice reacted so that I could get down to the Burns Unit as quickly as possible as I was in such a lot of pain.
Over the following 6 weeks I visited the Practice Nurse at least 10 times. The nursing care that she provided was excellent. I know that on 1 or 2 occasions she stayed behind longer than when her working hours had finished i.e. she went beyond the call of duty. She was very keen to make sure that she was dressing the burnt hand in the correct way, so much so, that she asked me to ask the nurses at the Burns Unit for instructions. For me this shows how conscientious she is. She always showed great compassion, not only to me but to my husband who was very worried and to my mum when she came to visit me. She always had a smile on her face and made me and my husband feel at ease. We always left the Practice feeling a great deal more relaxed and that progress was being made in the recovery of my hand.
I and my husband and indeed all the rest of my family will be forever indebted to this nurse for the wonderful nursing care that she gave to me over the 6 weeks throughout March and into the middle of April. We are also very grateful to all the administrative staff and all the other support staff behind the scenes who make the Southwood Practice function. They too have been a great help to me and my husband over this very difficult period and we will be forever grateful.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 14 April 2018

Anonymous gave Southwood Practice a rating of 5 stars

Great GP Surgery

I am very happy with Southwood Practice.
I have always been able to obtain an appointment when needed and all of the Doxtors, Practice Nurses, Midwife and Reception staff have always treated me with consideration and respect.
This past week I was unable to move my arm due to Calcific Rotator Cuff Tendonitis. It was extremely painful and quite debilitating. I was able to obtain an urgent appointment when I phoned up, booked in for an X-ray the same day, and received a Cortisone injection the following day carried out by a Dr who was informative and caring in his approach. He has referred me for Physiotherapy which I will have one week post injection.
I cannot fault the staff who work very hard to ensure the patients are seen to in an efficient and timely manner. I just wanted to say how very grateful I am for the care I have received.

Thank you very much for looking after me!

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 19 February 2018

Nikki I gave Southwood Practice a rating of 1 stars

Reception staff awful!

Receptionist unbelievably rude. When you have been told to call by a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL if you do not receive some test results within two weeks, only to be talked to like a child by the receptionist because ‘two weeks really isn’t that long!’ Someone who has absolutely no idea what my medical needs are or why these results may be so vital! I’ve had many shocking experiences with the reception staff here over the years yet stayed for the good doctors. Only a matter of weeks ago I had to demand to speak to a doctor because the receptionist wouldn’t give me an emergency appointment for my 3 month old daughter and as soon as she went and spoke to the Dr who insisted I bring my daughter in ASAP there was suddenly space available! I will now be moving myself and my daughter to a different practice. Appalling service.

Visited in February 2018. Posted on 05 March 2018

Southwood Practice replied on 05 March 2018

We are sorry to read your comments and concerns about your visit to Southwood Practice today.

Anonymous gave Southwood Practice a rating of 3 stars

Latest appointment system unusable

Called to book a routine after school appointment as school ldont allow time off for routine drs appointments and I work. Only to be told I have to call every day to get one as none are prebookable at all
Not helpful for me- I wouldn’t mind waiting 2 weeks but now I have to try and call every day with hundreds of others and hope for after school time.
Very unhelpful!!

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 19 January 2018

Southwood Practice replied on 22 January 2018

Thank you for your comments; we are disappointed to hear that we were unhelpful on this occasion.

The Practice does have mostly same day appointments, available from 8:30am each day, these can be booked either by telephone, in person or on-line via EMIS ACCESS, provided that you have signed up and have a secure PIN.
A limited number of appointments are available on-line each day some are after 4pm.

Please accept our apologies that this information was not passed onto you and we will address this as a training issue.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the Practice Manager.

David Drummond gave Southwood Practice a rating of 5 stars

Southwood practice

Excellent staff at southwood practice, from reception, nurses and doctors, I would like to thank you all for the fast response of my cancer diagnose and post surgery, I even get regular phone calls from the practice nurse to see if I'm recovering ok, once again thank you all.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 03 November 2017

Anonymous gave Southwood Practice a rating of 2 stars

Basic NHS care cannot expect too much

I usually had to go to GP either for my child or a routine check up if there is something more of a serious nature I tend to find alternative methods to sort myself out.

Each time the waiting time from doctors were unbearably long. Just the waiting would get us sick enough by the time we got out. In average I timed it took 50 min to be seen. Soon a nurse or a doctor saw you they wanted to get rid of you straight away. If to be seen is already so fast then why was the waiting time was so long?

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 22 October 2017

Southwood Practice replied on 23 October 2017

We are sorry to read your comments and concerns about your visit to Southwood Practice in July. Please call the Practice Manager on 01252 371715 who will be happy to investigate in more detail your concerns.