Marple Medical Practice

01614265375 50 Stockport Road, Marple , Stockport, Greater Manchester, SK6 6AB

Anonymous gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 3 stars

Disappointing

I had been with this practice for nearly 6 years and always found them to be good. However,I have just left due to the care given to my 10 month old daughter. On two occasions in the past month I have called them about a rash she has had. Both times,the earliest appointment was gone 3pm (I rang both times in the morning). The first time I ended up declining the appointment and going to a walk in centre. Luckily it was only a viral rash but it was different to a viral rash she had before so I wanted to make sure.
The second time I was offered the appointment but then called back once the doctor had seen the notes to say that because it was a suspected hand foot and mouth,there was nothing they could do for it anyway and they were busy so could they cancel. I was asked to asses my child myself and if I felt they needed care to go to the out of hours. I was made to feel like I was wasting their time and agreed to cancel. My nursery was too concerned and suggested 111 who then pushed through an appointment. Again,it was viral but it may not have been. I understand when it’s busy,but did they call back all emergency appointments to check they really needed it? You cannot be too careful with babies and I feel it is always better to be safe than sorry,hence why I have moved.

Visited in January 2019. Posted on 14 February 2019

Marple Medical Practice replied on 21 May 2019

We were sorry to read your post. In view of the specific circumstances quoted we have been able to identify the encounters, audit our clinical records and feel that your commentary is unbalanced in that;
On the occasions that we received a call about the rash, your daughter was seen face to face on the day that you requested. On the first occasion at 10:04 following your call at 08:34 on the second and third occasion, when the call was made you were specifically asked if you felt the problem could wait 2-5 hours to see a doctor and the response was “yes” (we do have robust systems in place to ensure that there is access to the appropriate level of care).
When you contacted NHS 111 the advice was to see a GP within 24 hours but in fact the GP concerned saw you later that afternoon and you were apparently happy with the plan.
On Each occasion a thorough examination was undertaken and the safety of your daughter assured. We are sorry that you don’t feel that the care provided met your expectations but having reviewed the circumstances do not feel that anything more could have been provided but, wish you well at your new practice.

Bill Riley gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Obtaining info. re.changing password to access website.

I forgot my password to access the facility to book appointments online, and had a problem doing this, so wrote, and delivered in person to the surgery, a letter to the Practice Manager, seeking help. That same evening I received an email from the Practice Manager, which gave me clear instructions on how to do this, and I was able to sort it out the same day online.

I replied by email, thanking him for the excellent service, and was able to book an appointment, very easily, the next day.

Visited in November 2018. Posted on 07 November 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 21 May 2019

Anonymous gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

bad service from doctors

The doctor is very rude blunt & has no people skills What so ever, dont reply bye when you leave and talks down to you and dont seem to care. Worse docror I have seen out of about 30 throughout my life

Visited in October 2018. Posted on 22 October 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 22 October 2018

We are surprised and sorry to read the description of your encounter. As seen from previous comments below, we usually receive very positive feedback about our clinical staff unfortunately, as you have posted anonymously we have no way of identifying specifically when you visited and who it was that you saw.
We would really like to understand what happened and would ask you please to feedback directly and in confidence to the Practice Manager fraser.cherry@nhs.net or if you prefer direct line 0161 204 4044. Communication skills are an essential part of a Doctor's role and we need to feedback to the individual concerned in order that they can reflect and improve as required

Dementia patient

Doctor was very helpful and understanding with a patient he did not know who had dementia. We were looking for advice on how to progress with the patients care going forward and they provided a lot of information and made the patient as relaxed as they could be even though they were particularly anxious

Visited in September 2018. Posted on 29 September 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 22 October 2018

Good to hear - thank you!

Excellent practice

Having recently moved to Marple, we registered with this practice. We have been grateful for the excellent service we have received. In addition, we have moved elderly parents to the practice and every single interaction with them has been professional, kind and effective.
Well done and thank you to all the staff here.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 23 September 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 24 September 2018

Thank you for your lovely comments. We try very hard and were feeling rather dispirited after the last post
Fraser Cherry
Practice Manager

Gordon Johnson gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

hearing clinic

I had an initial assessment with the new hearing clinic - a clear diagnosis of age-related hearing loss. two weeks later new hearing aids were checked, fitted and carefully explained. it will obviously take a few weeks for the aids (or, rather, my brain!) to settle but initial results are very encouraging.

I had been referred to Specsavers in Stockport a year ago. they too supplied hearing aids and I had no complaints about the service. the aid in one ear was never quite right so it became easier not to use it.

the convenience of a local service in Marple with all the relevant follow-up and service support is a great attraction, highly recommended!

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 17 March 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 19 March 2018

Thank you Mr Johnson - we are very pleased to be offering this service from the practice courtesy of Scrivens. They come every other Friday at present and if you would like an initial assessment just ask Reception to book you in 0161 426 5375 . You don't have to be a patient here to benefit.

Karen gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Really kind & caring.

The lovely nurse who did my blood test and BP this morning was just so empathetic and caring. The receptionist was delightful too - even though she had many people to deal with & the phone etc.

I have always found the Doctors, nurses & staff to be wonderful.

I know some people complain about not always being able to see the same Doctor but from what I understand, if you constantly have a problem getting an apt with your chosen Doctor, the advice is to contact the Practice Manager who will try and help. I have never had to do this.

I am very happy with this surgery.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 14 March 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 15 March 2018

Thank you for your kind comments which I shall post on our staff notice board! As you say in an effort to meet as many needs as possible I welcome contact if you are struggling - we can usually meet most requests. Fraser Cherry Practice Manager 0161 204 4044

Anonymous gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Often impossible to get appointment other then sameday

So as to get maximum “care quality commission points”, most appointments are only open for booking on the day of the appointment, this makes it nearly impossible to plan life, as you don’t know what time your appointment will be until you are able to book it on the day.

So as to book an appointment, you need to sit on the phone or your computer waiting for them to open up the slots – this is a time I would rather be cooking my wife’s breakfast.

Both of the above is due to them caring more about fulfilling the “tick box” requirement for people to be able to see a GP within 24hr, then them caring about planned care for people with long-term conditions. However I cannot blame them for running their operation the way that maximise what the CQC measures…..

The practice I was at before had an open surgery system so that anyone that NEEDED a someday appointment had to wait in the sitting room for at least one hour. This enabled them to offer someday access for people who NEEDED them while being able to keep most appointments for pre-planned care. (Ideally have a separate waiting room for open surgery, so people waiting for pre-planned appointments don’t get crowded out.)

There is also the issue of lots of part-time GPs, hence making it hard to get continuity of care, at least one of the part time GPs also works part-time as a GP elsewhere, so could work for more days at a single GP practice, so giving better continuity of care.

However as a BIG positive, I have on line access to all my test results, this was the primary reasons for changing GP surgeries.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 12 March 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 15 March 2018

We are sorry that you didn’t make contact with us before posting your anonymous comment as we would have been able;
a. To inform you of the facts
b. Assist you with getting an appointment when you require – as we are doing regularly for patients who ask.

The weighting towards opening on the day / day-before has been driven by consultation with our patients who value the access it provides (Please see recent comments posted on here). We have taken a lot of care to balance the needs of the patients who are acutely unwell and need an appointment at short notice (including those with long term conditions) against those who would rather book ahead for appointments regarding their chronic conditions.

Notably we have tried to reduce the frequency of ‘Did Not Attend’ episodes with this system so fewer appointments are wasted and we can be more available for all our patients.

In order to cater for those that wish to book ahead we release a considered number of appointments each day for two days, a week, and two weeks ahead & beyond. As at this morning (13/3/2018) at 09:25, we had 41 appointments available to book with one of four (female & male) GPs between 16/3/18 and 30/4/18 - 07:00 to 16:10. This will vary and it may be that these are not your “preferred” GPs but we do also publicise that if you are struggling, to ask for help and it will be provided!

The Care Quality Commission looks at how we are meeting patient’s needs across all the population groups and in general we seem to be achieving this. There are no “points” involved. On the whole our patients tell us we are easy to access and appear to appreciate that we will try to accommodate patients with particular scheduling needs.

Open surgeries have been considered but the partners feel that they are not sustainable or safe for our patients and additionally, if patients have to wait for too long we then get adverse feedback about this. The question of GPs being part time is a choice made by them based on their professional and personal situation (they are human beings as well!). Although they may be in the surgery less often they bring a diversity and flexibility to the practice team that enables us to provide a globally improved service to our patients.

Thank you for your positive comments about the online access – this is another example of us trying to meet as many needs as we can and a demonstration that we are trying our best. We cannot comment on your domestic arrangements but, using for example the smartphone app will allow patients to book around most other commitments with ease.

As we always make the point rather than venting on this forum you are most welcome to call me directly on 0161 204 4044 to discuss issues and how we might constructively help you, as we are able to do with the majority of our patients.

Fraser Cherry
Practice Manager

Anonymous gave Marple Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Always quick to get appointment for my baby

I think it’s great that every time I have called to book an appointment for my baby or to ask advice-I have been seen that day or someone has called to speak to me. As a new Mum it’s very reassuring that help is so quickly on hand.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 09 March 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 09 March 2018

Thank you for your nice comments - we are glad to hear that you feel supported :)

Marple medical practice

We have been with the surgery for 52 years and have always been treated with respect. We always tell people we have the best surgery. I hope it continues.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 05 March 2018

Marple Medical Practice replied on 05 March 2018

Thank you! I am pleased that you feel this way - Everyone here is committed to doing their best.
Fraser Cherry, Practice Manager