Bingley Medical Practice

01274568383 2 Kingsway , Bingley, West Yorkshire, BD16 4RP

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Transgender Care

I'm sick of chasing up referrals with this doctor. One referral took 4 months to put through for a 'joint specialist' who turned out to be another GP who was completely useless even when I requested a rheumatologist and then my referral to a rheumatologist took weeks.
Now I was told that in association with me being transgender and getting a referral that the referral would be done instantly after a meeting with the other doctors. Two weeks later and I'm still being told that I need to wait yet another week and call back for an update the following week with no guarantee that it will even be done by then.
Never mind that it takes 455 days to even get an appointment.
They are causing patients unnecessary stress just because they can't speed up referral times and have even misplaced one of my referrals before until I called up months later to enquire what was happening with that.

Visited in August 2018. Posted on 20 August 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 20 August 2018

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your comment. I share your frustration that waiting times for some specialist and hospital services are far too long at the moment, particularly for "medical" specialities such as Rheumatology, where there are chronic staff shortages. I regret that it is not something we as GP's have any control over: you might be better to direct that part of your complaint to the Clinical Commissioning Group (Bradford Districts), or NHS England.

I am sorry to hear of the other problems you are having. It sounds an unusual case: I a surmising that the referral you are requesting is unusual, or possibly one where NHS funding has to be sought specially. I suggest you contact us directly so we can look into this for you: ring 01274 568383 and ask to speak to our Practice Manager, and I hope we can resolve the issue.

Yours sincerely,

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Care for a transgender young person

Bingley Medical Practice and especially one doctor have been absolutely brilliant providing care for my eldest after she came out as transgender at 15. It was a very worrying and unpsetting time for us and she was suffering from a lot of associated mental health problems. Bingley Medical Pratice made it as easy for us as it could be, helping us access specialist services, providing medical treatments and writing evidence which helped her remain in school. The doctor was one of a very small group of medical professionals my child actually felt was helpful and supportive, and one of the very few she felt able to talk to. The receptionist who took my original phonecall was also very kind - I'm sorry I didn't get her name - and the pratice nurses took the trouble to learn how to do a particular injection for her which we also appreciate very much. As a family we will always be grateful for the care she received and is receiving. Thank you.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 13 June 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 15 June 2018

Thank you for your comments and we are pleased to be able to offer our support

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

Phone diagnosis

I do yoga and pilates so i know how to work my body, I've seen a private chiropractor who recommended an xray but all you do is wait for the symptoms to worsen and hand out drugs!!
I don't want drugs( i pay for prescriptions) i would rather use that money towards getting to the root problem of my back problem
To get a private mri( which I'll quite happily pay for) i need a referral but all i get is a prescription over the phone, I'd like to know what the problem is so i know how to fix it without drugs

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 01 June 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 01 June 2018

Der Anonymous,

Thank you for your comments. Back pain is distressing and debilitating - but it is well established that Xrays and MRI scans are of no use in the diagnosis or treatment of most cases of back pain, and you Chiropracter should know this. It might seem to go against common sense, but Xrays and scans will not often show the true cause of the pain and - worse - can be misleading. You can read the NICE Guidance on back pain here, if you wish:- https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng59

I do not know the specifics of your condition, but it seems likely that the advice that you have received from us is correct. But feel free to ask us for another appointment (face-to-face if you prefer) to discuss the best way forward.

Mark gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Not A Good Patient Expereince

You can never get through on the telephone unless you wait on hold in excess of 15 minutes.

All appointments seem to be a week after you first ring up, which most people don't know they are going to be poorly a week in advance.

There is usually more than one member of staff sat at the reception desk, however when there is a queue building one, they never use the second staff member to reduce the patient queueing time.

Overall I would personally rate this practice, as a poor patient experience at best, and improvements and leadership are clearly needed in my opinion.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 25 April 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 04 May 2018

Thank you for your comments. You are right that have had problems recently with our telephone response times which, I agree, are far too long. Rest assured that we are now working to address this.

Regarding our appointment availability - a 1 week wait for a non-urgent GP appointment compares well with reported national figures of 2-3 weeks. And for anything urgent, we have the option of a same day contact with a GP through our triage system.

The second person at the Reception desk is in fact dealing with clients attending a different NHS service that uses our rooms at various times during the week, which is why they don't appear to be helping out on the occasions when the queue at the desk is longer than ideal. We will look into how to make this clearer, and what else we can do to reduce waiting times at the desk.

I hope these answers go some way to addressing your concerns, but do feel free to contact us if there are any other issues you wish to raise.

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

Answer the phones!!

Unless calling first thing it is impossible to get through! Once again waiting over 25 minutes to get through only for someone to pick up the call then hang up - twice!

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 09 March 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 25 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Would you kindly either contact me directly or our Office Manager, in absolute confidence, as we would like a few more details to assist us in identifying the root cause of this issue. We asked our telephone system provider to check through the phone stats for the 9th March 2018 and the longest time someone waiting was 11 minutes. Also, it isn’t our policy to hang up on patients and again we couldn’t see any record of an individual receptionist answering a call and then immediately terminating it.

There are 2 surgeries in the Canalside Health Care Centre and I would like to check it is our phone system at fault here.

Still, I appreciate that waiting for 11 minutes for a call to be answered is still an unacceptable wait We will be undertaking a system review and will be involving our Patient Group as part of the discussions

Please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused

Dave Rowlinson gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 5 stars

Great support from Reception staff

On Friday March 16th this year my wife woke up with severe facial paralysis . We went through the " exercise /tests " for stroke and decided that she probably had Bell's Palsy !

I telephoned surgery for advice and the chance of an appointment or triage -I must admit I was in a bit of a panic . The person who answered my call that morning [sorry I can't remember her name ] was very calm ,professional and helpful . First of all she reassured me that a doctor would get back to us -then asked us to hold while she got immediate advice .
The advice was to get an ambulance and go to hospital and be checked out properly ,which of course was the correct thing to do .

The fact that she could tell that I was quite stressed and acted in a calm supportive manner was greatly appreciated . Thank you .

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 14 April 2018

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 25 April 2018

Thank you for your comments, which we will pass onto the Back Office team.

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 2 stars

OK unless you need an emergency appointment

The doctors are fine although seem reluctant to refer on where referral is required and do talk of conditions being possible a lot without referring to the correct specialists for diagnosis. Also the hold times to get through if you need an emergency appointment are ridiculous at over 25 minutes.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 14 November 2017

Dear Anonymous,

I am sorry to hear that you had to wait so long on hold to get through our triage system (I don't think it could have been our "emergency" line - that is always answered within a few rings). It must have been an unusually busy morning, but we will try to ensure that doesn't happen again.

It is difficult to comment on your other point without knowing more about the circumstances. As doctors we are able to make most diagnoses ourselves - but we are also happy to refer to hospital specialists where that is likely to be helpful. If you have not been offered a referral but think you need one, then let your doctor know so s/he can discuss the options with you.

I hope that helps.

Eva Palankay-Peirson gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 1 stars

No access to doctors in 19 days

Trying to get appointment within the given period and there is no chance at all.Do you think it is acceptable? A surgery having good classification?

I do not want answer your questions as they are irrelevant.
I am convinced 16 answers does not represent general view.

Visited in November 2017. Posted on 02 January 2018

Dear Anonymous,

I appreciate your frustration, and agree that 19 days is too long to wait. You were unfortunate to callus on one of the busiest days of the year (the first working day after New Year) - and I am pleased to report that the waiting time is now down to 11 days. There is still room for improvement, but with the current problems the NHS is facing and the national shortage of GP's, our waiting times compare pretty well.

It is also worth noting that we also offer short notice appointments through our triage system: if you phone us before 10.30am on any working day we guarantee that a doctor will phone you back to address your problem, including arranging a same day appointment if needed. So if you have any serious or urgent problems we can always deal with them quickly.

I hope that goes some way to answering your complaint.

Anonymous gave Bingley Medical Practice a rating of 4 stars

Physiotherapists

I was recently referred by the doctor to the Bingley Physiotherapist and Sports Injurys Clinic
I have to say that I found them to be excellent and they were soon on top of the problem I have been having with my foot, I only wish I had gone to see them earlier.
I would highly recommend them

Visited in October 2017. Posted on 17 November 2017

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 08 January 2018

Many thanks for your positive feedback. I will share it with our Physiotherapy colleagues.

Margaret Maslen reviewed Bingley Medical Practice

Excellent Receptionist

I recently attended an appointment at Thompson Court. The receptionist was on the telephone and politely asked me if I wouldn't mind waiting a minute. I sat in the reception area, so I could, of course hear their side of the conversation. The receptionist was quite obviously speaking to someone who was either confused or being difficult. The receptionist was infinitely polite and patiently explained several times what the situation was. The call went on several minutes and during that time the receptionist was helpful, polite and spoke with great empathy. At no time did the receptionist shown any sign of impatience. I was extremely impressed. Well done - you are a credit to the surgery.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 June 2017

Bingley Medical Practice replied on 01 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

We do spend a great deal time training all our staff here at the Practice and it's pleasing to see this benefitting our patients. We will of course forward these comments onto the reception team.

Part of the training involves meeting with the Patient Group on a regular basis to share all our experiences and we have scheduled further discussions for the remainder of 2017. Please feel free to use this route for any future comments as we must continuously strive to improve our services for all our patients here at the Practice.