New Cross Health Centre

02030492249 First Floor Suite 3 Waldron Health Centre, Amersham Vale , London, Greater London, SE14 6LD

Susan gave New Cross Health Centre a rating of 1 stars

This practice is awful

I have been a patient registered with this practice for over 30 years but since The Hurley Group took it over, it has deteriorated to the point where I must leave it. The reception staff are at best aloof, not very helpful and never seem to answer the phone. The appointment service is ridiculous and does not work in the patients’ interests. The doctors come and go frequently and do not seem very competent. This morning a doctor did not treat me with any dignity or respect and that is why I am finally moving on.

Visited in June 2018. Posted on 11 June 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 05 July 2018

We are very disappointed to hear that the service we have provided you with has been unsatisfactory.

All our staff are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism and as an organisation the Hurley Group holds the care, safety and satisfaction of its patient as its highest priority. I apologise on behalf of all concerned that this has not been your experience and hope that we could possibly have a conversation that would allow me to look into and rectify any concerns you may have.

Our telephone system did have some technical issues whilst we transitioned from Goodwood Road to the Waldron Health Centre; however we have been promised that this has been resolved.

There is a telephone queuing system in place which should notify you as to roughly how long you should be waiting, however some calls received by the surgery can be complex and take longer to resolve than others.

The appointment system has been popular with patients, who can get on the day emergency appointments if needed.

I would encourage you to contact the surgery to arrange a time convenient for you to discuss these matters further.

Absolutely shocking service

After ongoing tests to rule out a serious medical condition, where I was told by a previous doctor that this was a serious issue, I have been struggling to get an appointment for a referral for over a month now. After explaining this to a receptionist, she told me to use the doctor callback service. Doctor called and when I told her of my worrying symptoms which I've had for over a year, she rudely cut in "can I just stop you there, this line is only for acute emergencies." This was an urgent matter, and her manner of evaluating my situation as sub standard was highly distressing and rude. When I challenged her, she continuously repeated in a passive, ingenuine manner "I'm really sorry". When I challenged her on what i was supposed to do she offered no helpful support, just repeating that she was "really sorry". After I expressed my frustration of not being able to get an appointment she went further to say "well you'd be waiting over 7 weeks for a referral anyway." Beside the point, rude and highly unprofessional and not at all sympathetic or respectful to my condition. Awful, awful practise, that do not value their patients whatsoever. I won't be returning.

Visited in May 2018. Posted on 30 May 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 06 June 2018

We are sorry that you were not happy with your recent telephone consultation at the practice and that you felt that the matter was not dealt with in a sensitive manner, as this was definitely not the clinician’s intention.

We operate a telephone triage system each day to deal with problems which need urgent action that day. The clinician has several brief telephone slots, which they use to assess whether the problem is urgent or could be better resolved in another way. The clinician you speak to will decide if the problem would be better dealt with in a routine appointment, when the clinician you see will have time to address the problem fully and make a referral. The clinician performing the triage list can only make urgent referrals. We are sorry if the nature of the call you were going to receive was not explained to you clearly when you contacted reception. We will make sure that all our reception staff are reminded that they need to outline this when the call is added to the triage list for a clinician.

We generally have routine appointments available at the practice or on the phone (for those who can’t make it in to see us easily) within two weeks, if not sooner. Alternatively you can access our website and complete an e-Consultation, which we aim to process and complete within 24 hours.

Appalling Care - Do Not Recommend

New Cross Health has provided me with consistently sub-par care, however the past few days have been the final straw.

During a check up with a specialist service in Daventry I discovered that New Cross Health was supposed to have prescribed me medication 8 months ago, but had never done so. They had never contacted me to let me know that the specialist had requested a blood test, or that I was supposed to begin treatment. I find myself incredibly thankful that over the duration of my time with New Cross Health that I have never had a life-threatening condition; I have no reason to believe they would have provided adequate care.

This follows my referral to the specialist in 2016, when my paperwork was filed at New Cross instead of being sent to the clinic I was being referred to. Since then, I have arranged appointments at New Cross Health that the reception staff later deny having been made, been denied necessary blood tests, and brushed off when I raised concerns.

The reception staff are generally very rude, the doctors want to get you in and out as quick as possible. Perhaps it was this rushed, careless attitude that caused my treatment to get delayed for over half a year.

I admit, since the Centre moved to a larger site last year it has been far easier to get appointments; now the waiting times are closer to a week rather than the months it took previously. However, when considering the quality of the care provided, waiting times are inconsequential.

I am incredibly glad I am moving in a few months, as I can't wait to register with a different practice.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 10 April 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 18 April 2018

I am sorry that your recent experience with the surgery was unsatisfactory. In order for us to investigate this matter further we would require more information from yourself. I would be grateful if you could call the surgery to arrange an appointment to see the Practice Manager who would be happy to explore your case.

Nurse

I had a smear test with one particular nurse who was extremely informative and put me at ease especially as this is something that is quite uncomfortable to have. I was provided with very good information re the results and what happens if they are not favourable. Excellent nurse and couldn’t recommend more.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 19 April 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 01 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We are pleased that you have had positive experiences with the practice. Our patients’ opinions are very important to us.

Did you know that you can order repeat prescriptions online using Patient Access at www.newcrosshc.co.uk and if you set up your script to send via EPS (Electronic Prescribing Service) it can be sent directly to a Pharmacy of your choice? We also offer the option to consult with a GP online using our Web GP service http://newcrosshc.co.uk/ which allows patients to enquire/submit details about conditions/problem presented or administrative help, to which the practice has the obligation to respond to within 1 working day.

Terrible reception staff

After one year that I am registered at this practice I can say that doctors are ok, but the reception staff is terrible. They are always rude, unprofessional and unhelpful, this morning I've asked to check if my blood test results were ready and instead of just checking the receptionist started to moan about the result wouldn't be there, I had to insist twice and of course the result were already in the system.

I've never seen such rude and lazy attitude before, they clearly don't want to do their job and treat people like someone which just annoy them.

They make me always feel terrible when i have to deal with the practice.

Visited in April 2018. Posted on 06 April 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 10 April 2018

I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I am sorry that your encounters with our reception team have so far been unsatisfactory.
I would like to apologise for any frustration this may have caused you.

All of our staff are trained to carry out their duties with due care and professionalism and as an organisation the Hurley Group holds the care, safety and satisfaction of its patient as its highest priority. I apologise on behalf of all concerned that this has not been your experience on these occasions.

It would be useful to have a little more information from you regarding this matter, to allow us the opportunity to further investigate and make corrections where needed.
If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact the Reception Supervisor or Practice Manager.

Fix the switchboard service

It has become a frustrating nightmare trying to call in to the surgery. The switchboard put me on hold, tells me "you are next in the queue", then cuts me off three minutes later. I start the process all over again and it the same thing. On occassions somebody pick the receiver and slams it back down immediately. I don't believe this is fair on anybody especially the cost of the repeated calls. Half of the neighbourhood has been cut off from walking to the surgery since it moved to the Waldron, and not all of us have internet access at home. This has to be fixed and i for one am sick of complaining about it and nothing being done. Please fix it.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 22 March 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 18 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We completely understand your frustrations regarding the telephones and we apologise for any disturbance this may have caused you. The engineers have assured us that the telephone issues have now been resolved. Please let us know if you do not find this to be the case.

Positive experiences

I’m shocked to read some of these comments left on NHS Choices about the surgery, so thought I should leave a positive comment as it seems most people on NHS Choices just want to complain. I have been with the surgery along with my young son for about 3 years now. Even though the surgery had to undergo a move to a new location and yes there were teething problems, but nothing to ‘complain’ about overall I think the location is better and staff have remained consistently positive throughout. I can always get an appointment when needed and the Reception Supervisor is very helpful, friendly and informative, the reception team are also friendly and helpful, even though they have to deal with a lot, I’ve seen patients shouting at them and being rude, but they remain professional. The doctors and nurses are nice and friendly. Overall I would recommend this surgery.

Visited in March 2018. Posted on 22 April 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 01 May 2018

Thank you for your recognition regarding the surgery, we make every effort to ensure that all of our patients receive a positive experience and we are happy to read that this has been the case for you at New Cross Health Centre. :)

Anonymous gave New Cross Health Centre a rating of 3 stars

automated phone system failure

I am a patient at this practice, I have been trying to contact the practice by phone and have not been successful. I press the correct option it tells me I am next in line then afterwards it disconnects me or I end up holding on for more than 15 minutes. The phones have been like that since 5th march and I am writing this review today the 7th march
. I live in forest hill and it is not convenient for me to travel from here to there just to say that the phones are not working.
They need to put a recording on the automated system to let people know that they are aware of the problem and that they are trying to fix it.
I had to ring the receptionist at the Waldron centre to let her know that there is a problem and that I cant get through to my GP, and she kindly said that she would let them know that people cannot connect with them. It is very frustrating and hope the problem will be fixed soon.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 07 March 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 18 April 2018

We completely understand your frustrations regarding the telephones and we apologise for any disturbance this may have caused you. The engineers have assured us that the telephone issues have now been resolved. Please let us know if you do not find this to be the case. We do add alerts to our website informing patients of any disturbances to patient services. Also did you know that you can sign up for online patient access at www.newcrosshc.co.uk. This allows you to book appointments and order repeat medication without having to contact the surgery.

Julia gave New Cross Health Centre a rating of 2 stars

Great GP but awful reception staff

I have with this surgery with a number of years now. The GP is fantastic and very professional.

Unfortunately the reception staff make is impossible to have a good experience there.

May it be the computers are shut down 10 minutes before closing time so the refuse to help with prescriptions, their access card is not working and they ask me to come in to pick up my prescription instead of asking her colleague to help (which I had to suggest to her, and it then suddenly worked in seconds), trying to request the prescriptions and them not being send.

There is always something not working or someone is not bothered to help and try to do a good job.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 09 April 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 18 April 2018

I would like to apologise for any frustration this may have caused you.

If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

Efficient and professional service

I have using New Cross Health Centre as my GP surgery for almost 2 years, and despite a change in location and financial pressures the service has been consistently impressive. I usually see the practice nurse, who is friendly, professional and efficient. I am usually able to get an appointment when I need one, and the surgery sends helpful text message updates to remind me of appointments. Importantly, my appointments usually run on time, and if they are delayed it is only ever by 5 minutes or so. The has not been my experience in other GP surgeries or parts of the NHS. The ability to see a nurse to deal with minor health concerns, rather than a GP is a real asset and should be maintained as a service.

Visited in January 2018. Posted on 04 January 2018

New Cross Health Centre replied on 31 January 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. We are very pleased that you have had positive experiences with the practice. Our patients’ opinions are very important to us and our reception and clinical staff always endeavour to ensure that the patients have the best possible experience.