Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Tell us about this content

Important, please read before continuing

This form should only be used for serious complaints about comments posted to the Page Comments section that break the NHS Choices Moderation Rules. This would include, but is not limited to harassing, abusive, threatening, libelous, or otherwise objectionable material.

The comment about which you complain will be sent to a moderator, who will decide whether it breaks the NHS Choices Moderation Rules. You will be contacted in due course once a decision has been made.

We need your email address so we can keep you updated about the status of your complaint.

Return to this content

Original content

Biscuitman said on 25 June 2012

My experience with glandular fever seems pretty typical, being a male in my 20's. Around two weeks before my university final major project was due in, I suddenly began to feel very tired all the time, and developed a sore throat. After a week, my left tonsil became swollen and painful, so after popping in to see my GP, he believed it was tonsillitis, or some form of throat infection. He prescribed me a week's course of antibiotics, but they had no effect, so after seeing him a second time, he believed it was glandular fever, and sent off a blood test. Two days later my GP rang me up and confirmed it as glandular fever. At this point I'd finished my project, so essentially had nothing to stress about anymore, but despite being able to rest, both tonsils grew so large that they covered the back of my throat (apparently my snoring had to be heard to be believed), glands under my neck grew huge, as well as many down the side of my neck. The biggest problem, besides headaches and exhaustion, was swallowing, which was very painful. Fortunately, After a week or so, the symptoms slowly began receding. I'm no doctor, but since my problems were mostly swallowing, I found the best solutions were: - letting honey sit on the tonsils, and/or mixing it with very milky porridge - eating crushed ice before meals - ice cream and lollipops - gargling salt water, to remove the pus covering the tonsils I had the symptoms for about 5 weeks in the end, and the worst of the fatigue disappeared after a further month. I still feel tired a fair bit, but it's not really disruptive anymore and I forget about it most of the time to be honest. My GP was available to see me at short notice, and despite not really being able to do anything, was honest and helpful.