You are here:

Registering with NHS services

Finding a GP, dentist and other NHS services

Leaving the armed forces can be a stressful time for the serving individual, as well as their family.

Adapting to civilian life can bring challenges, but taking care of your health needs and those of your dependants should be one of your priorities.

You can make the transition easier for you and your family by registering with a GP and a dentist.

Register with a GP and a dentist

Once you've left the care of the Defence Medical Services, registering with a GP and telling them you've served will:

  • inform services of your new location
  • put you in touch with your local health visitor
  • ensure you have easy access to services
  • ensure medical records are transferred quickly

If you or any members of your family have an ongoing health need or any special requirements, it's important to inform the GP and other health and care services in your area as soon as possible. This will ensure that your health needs are met and the care you currently receive continues.

There is no need to register with a dentist in the same way as with a GP. When you move, simply find a dental practice that's convenient for you, this may be near your home or work, and phone them to see if there are any appointments available. Find a dentist using the Find services section.

You can also search for a GP, a dentist and other local NHS services using the NHS websites for Scotland (NHS 24), Wales (NHS Direct Wales) and Northern Ireland (Health and Social Care Northern Ireland).

Page last reviewed: 13/06/2018

Next review due: 13/06/2021