You are here:

Country-by-country guide

Accessing healthcare in Lithuania

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access the necessary state-provided healthcare in Lithuania at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

If you don't have your EHIC with you or you've lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please read our section about seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Finding help in an emergency

In the event of an emergency in Lithuania you can call 112. This call is free of charge from any landline or mobile phone.


Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment, so make sure you are treated by a state healthcare provider. If you need medical assistance in Lithuania, whether it is from a GP, hospital or dentist, you should only visit the provider associated with the Territorial Health Insurance Fund – THIF (Teritorinė ligonių kasa). Ensure you can present a valid EHIC. 

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Remember to keep all receipts and any paperwork (make copies if necessary) as they might be needed by you or your insurance company to apply for any refund or reimbursement.

Read the section about healthcare available to EHIC card holders on the National Health Insurance Fund (VLK) website.

You can also contact the THIF for the region you reside in. Contact details for the regional offices are:

Vilnius Territorial Health Insurance Fund

Kaunas Territorial Health Insurance Fund

Klaipeda Territorial Health Insurance Fund

Siauliai Territorial Health Insurance Fund

Panevezys Territorial Health Insurance Fund

If you move to Lithuania for more than three months then you need to register with the compulsory health insurance fund to be able to access healthcare in the same way as a Lithuanian resident.
Visit the National Health Insurance Fund (VLK) website for detailed information about the Lithuanian healthcare system, how to access it and information about compulsory health insurance for residents.


You can visit any GP that is associated with the THIF. You need to present a valid EHIC as proof of your entitlement to free GP care. If you are living in Lithuania, then GP care is covered by the compulsory health insurance.

Hospital treatment

Emergency medical services are provided free of charge to all residents.
In non-emergency situations, you’ll need a GP or specialist referral to be admitted in hospital.
Again you need your EHIC or proof of compulsory health insurance to access the service without additional costs.


If you need to see a dentist during your stay in Lithuania, ensure the dentist is contracted with the THIF. A visit to the dentist is free of charge, however if you receive treatment, any material substances used are not included or covered by the EHIC. Most dentists only offer private treatment which is also not covered by your EHIC. Therefore, ensure you have adequate health insurance to cover you for any dental treatment necessary in Lithuania.


You can take your prescription to any pharmacy in Lithuania. The cost of medicines is partly covered where they are prescribed by a doctor. Read the section about reimbursable medicines and medical aids on the VLK website. 

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

Although your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care, you'll have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you travel. You should always consult your GP or hospital before travelling. Also ensure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You’ll also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK, however, most suppliers will be able to advise you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: Call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information visit Baywater Healthcare.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about travelling abroad with a lung condition.

Ensure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the co-ordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Lithuania nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on The Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There also may be different guidance depending on what type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for heamodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients, and guidelines for transplant patients.

Read more advice about travelling with other conditions:

Living in Lithuania

If you move to Lithuania for more than three months then you need to register with the compulsory health insurance fund to be able to access healthcare as people insured by compulsory health insurance in Lithuania.

Visit the National Health Insurance Fund (VLK) website for detailed information about the Lithuanian healthcare system, how to access it, and information about compulsory health insurance for residents. The Official Gateway of Lithuania website also has a dedicated section for EU citizens coming to live in Lithuania.

Working in Lithuania

If you are a worker posted by a UK company to Lithuania, you may be entitled to health cover funded by the UK in the country you are posted to. Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for more details:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays 

For more information, visit the Moving abroad section.

You should also read the section about EU posted workers living in Lithuania on the National Health Insurance Fund (VLK) website.


Studying in Lithuania

If you are going to study or are currently studying in Lithuania as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK government. You and any dependants you may have will need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Also read:



If you are living in Lithuania and you receive an exportable UK Pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

For exportable UK pensions and contribution-based Employment Support Allowance, you can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre in the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 7777.

You may need to liaise with a different team, depending on the exportable benefit. Further information is available under Claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad on the GOV.UK website. Please note that different exportable benefits can have different rules in terms of healthcare cover.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant authority in Lithuania. Often you need to do this before you can register for healthcare or obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in Lithuania, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries. 

For more detailed information, including contact details for THIF offices, visit the National Health Insurance Fund (VLK) website and read the section about EU pensioners living in Lithuania.  


Page last reviewed: 30/01/2017

Next review due: 30/01/2020