Your guide to care and support

Supported living services

Supported Living

Media last reviewed: 30/09/2015

Next review due: 30/09/2018

You may prefer not to live in residential care, but find it difficult to cope at home. But you may, with help, be able to live independently in the community.

If so, you may want to consider "supported living services" – sometimes called "floating support", "visiting support", or "tenancy sustainment".  

Services that support independent living are made up of suitable or adapted accommodation – which can be your own home – and some forms of personal care.

Some supported living homes may be shared by two or three people with similar conditions, such as a substance misuse problem or a particular disability.

Staff will usually visit the home to provide motivation, such as encouragement to get out of bed and go out to college or work, and carry out simple tasks such as shopping, housework and repairs, and provide help with administrative tasks or personal care, if required.

Why choose supported living services?

Supported living services may provide a good option in some circumstances – offering flexibility, and perhaps even better value for money than some of the alternatives, whether you fund your own care or receive a personal budget.

Supported living services are not regulated by the Care Quality Commission. However, any personal care provided – such as help with washing or preparing food, or help eating meals – is. Such care must not be delivered by the housing owner or operator, but by a registered homecare agency or provider.

Finding out more about supported living services

The first time you hear about supported living services may be during a care needs assessment by social services. They will let you know about supported living services available locally if it seems like they might meet your needs.

Services that support independent living can be provided by the local authority or charities, or they may be run by commercial companies. Find supported living services near you.

If a supported living service arrangement is not suitable for you, you may still want to think about personal care at home, wherever you live, and other help, such as equipment that might make your life easier.

Page last reviewed: 15/01/2015

Next review due: 30/11/2017


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 20 ratings

All ratings

5  ratings
4  ratings
2  ratings
3  ratings
6  ratings

Add your rating

Find supported living services in your area

Assessing your care and support needs

A care and support assessment is the best way for you to get help and advice from your local authority if you have difficulty looking after yourself

Local authority funding for care

All about how your council may give you free or subsidised care services if you have a particular level of needs