Diagnosing metatarsalgia 

If you've tried the self-care techniques for treating metatarsalgia but your symptoms have not got better, see your GP.

They can arrange a number of tests to check for any underlying problems that may be causing the symptoms.

These may include:

Your GP may also refer you to a foot specialist (podiatrist), who will examine your foot and may ask you:

  • about your medical history, lifestyle, footwear and hobbies
  • where and when the pain occurs
  • when the pain started
  • how often the pain happens
  • whether the pain is getting worse
  • whether you have pain anywhere else

They may also analyse your gait (the way you walk) on a treadmill or pressure plate to find areas of high pressure on the foot.

Page last reviewed: 03/02/2016

Next review due: 01/02/2019