Social care for people with cancer 

If you've been diagnosed with cancer, your treatment and medical care will probably be the first thing on your mind.

But there are other aspects of your life to think about and it's important to know exactly what kind of assistance is available and where you can get it.

If you're finding it difficult to cope with day-to-day life, talk to your doctor or nurse. They'll be able to refer you to a social worker who will carry out an assessment and recommend specific help to meet your needs (see below).

Care attendants

Care attendants can help with housework, dressing and washing, and they can even keep you company and give your carer a break. Look into this as soon as you can because many care attendants have waiting lists.

Carers Trust is an organisation in England and Wales that helps carers by visiting homes and taking over the caring responsibilities for a while. Visit the Carers Trust (external link) or phone 0844 800 4361.

Meals at home

Contact your local council about its meals at home service. It will usually be able to offer financial assistance to help pay for this. Visit GOV.UK (external link) for details of your eligibility.

Financial benefits

You may be eligible for income supportdisability living allowance or attendance allowance. Get in touch with the Benefit Enquiry Line for more details on 0800 882200 (textphone 0800 243355) or online at the Department for Work and Pensions (external link).

Home adaptations

Occupational therapists can provide a detailed assessment of your home needs, making life easier by arranging equipment and making adaptations to your home.

The aim is to create a comfortable and practical place to live during your treatment. For example, it could involve putting in a shower downstairs or adding handrails around the house to assist your mobility.

Read more about occupational therapy.


Picture illustrating social support in cancer care

Page last reviewed: 17/10/2014

Next review due: 17/10/2016