If you're considering getting an ear or body piercing or tattoo, either in this country or abroad, make sure you check:
- That the premises and the piercer/tattooist are clean
- That sterile instruments and jewellery are used on each customer
The piercer/tattoist should discuss with you:
- The type of piercing/tattoo you’d like and any possible risks
- Any health conditions you may have and, if necessary, advise you to consult your GP
- How your piercing/tattoo should be looked after until it heals
In this country, you can contact your local council’s environmental health or licensing department for advice as they regulate piercing and tattoo businesses. They also regulate acupuncture, semi-permanent make-up and electrolysis businesses.
Remember, don’t go ahead with anything if you are unsure.