Diagnosing absent periods 

You should see your GP if you're worried about problems with your periods so they can identify the cause.

Your GP may recommend you take a pregnancy test – pregnancy is the most common cause of absent periods and can occur unexpectedly if the contraception you use fails without you realising.

Your GP will also ask about your medical history, your family's medical history, your sexual history, any emotional issues you're having, and any changes in your body weight.

They'll also assess whether you're going through the normal physical stages of puberty.

Seeing a specialist

Depending on what your GP thinks may be causing your absent periods, you may be referred to a particular specialist for further investigation and any necessary treatment. This could be either:

  • a gynaecologist – a specialist in treating conditions that affect the female reproductive system
  • an endocrinologist – a specialist in treating hormonal conditions

Your specialist may give you a full gynaecological examination and carry out various tests, including:

You may be referred to a dietitian if you're underweight (have a body mass index of less than 18.5) or obese (a body mass index of 30 or more). Alternatively, your GP may refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist if they think you have an eating disorder.

Page last reviewed: 06/10/2015

Next review due: 06/10/2017