Morton's neuroma 


Media last reviewed:

Next review due:

Who gets Morton's neuroma?

Morton's neuroma can occur at any age, but it usually affects people aged 40-50 years.

As tight or poorly fitting shoes is a major contributing factor, the condition tends to be more common in women, particularly those who wear high-heeled shoes.

People who play sports that involve running and those with a particular foot shape, such as high arches, are also at greater risk. Read more about the causes of Morton's neuroma.

Morton's neuroma is a condition that affects one of the nerves between the toes.

It's also known as Morton's metatarsalgia or interdigital neuroma.

In Morton's neuroma, fibrous tissue develops around the nerve, which becomes irritated and compressed. This causes severe pain on the ball of the foot and at the base of the toes.

Morton's neuroma can occur on one foot or both feet. It usually affects the nerve between the third and fourth toes, but sometimes the second and third toes are affected.

You may initially experience a tingling sensation in the space between your toes, which gets worse over time. This leads to cramp in your toes and a sharp shooting or burning pain on the ball of your foot or at the base of your toes.

The pain is often worse when walking or wearing shoes that press on the affected area.

Read more about the symptoms of Morton's neuroma.

What causes Morton's neuroma?

The pain of Morton's neuroma occurs when the nerve connecting the toe bones (metatarsal bones) becomes irritated or compressed.

The exact cause of the irritation is unknown, but it may be the metatarsal bones pressing against the nerve when the gap between the bones is narrow. This causes the nerve and surrounding tissue to thicken.

Some experts believe that a number of other foot problems, including flat feet, high foot arches, bunions and hammer toes, may also play a role in Morton's neuroma.

Read more about the causes of Morton's neuroma.

When to see your GP

If you have continual tingling or persistent pain in your foot, you should make an appointment to see a podiatrist (a specialist in foot problems). Alternatively, you could visit your GP, who may refer you to a podiatrist.

Your GP or podiatrist may examine your foot and ask you some questions to find out:

  • about the pain and what it feels like
  • when your symptoms started
  • what type of shoes you usually wear
  • about your work, lifestyle and sporting activities

They may also refer you for a scan, such as an X-ray, ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan, to get a detailed image of the inside of your foot.

Treating Morton's neuroma

If you have Morton's neuroma, shoes with a wider toe area may be recommended. You can also take painkillers to help ease the pain. Steroid injections may also be given to treat the affected nerve.

If these treatments don't work, surgery may be needed. This involves removing the thickened tissue around the nerve (and sometimes the nerve itself) to release the pressure.

Read more about how Morton’s neuroma is treated.

Page last reviewed: 11/11/2013

Next review due: 11/11/2015


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 225 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 3 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

Cardo said on 06 July 2014

I was diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma when I was living for a while in Spain. Find it difficult to get comfortable shoes that don't aggravate it even though I've looked at Hotter and the like. My UK GP just says it's something you have to live with and offers no treatment.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

jimgar67 said on 05 July 2014

I got MN between my 1st and 2nd toes after a scarfe osteotomy over a year ago. I've had awful pain over that period but got a referral for an u/s guided injection which I had last Tuesday. It has done wonders for me so far so I'm hoping there'll be no need for surgery.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Gin077 said on 23 February 2014

I work on a hospital ward and am on my feet all day. I wear trainers everyday but have still developed Morton's. I park fifteen minutes walk away from the hospital, on a rough piece of disused land, and every step is agony! Even when I'm home with shoes off I continually get throbbing in my affected foot. I'm taking regular painkillers and have even bandaged my foot up so tightly with three bandages to try to stop the pain. It took twelve weeks to get a podiatry appointment and now their lab is short of staff so are unable to make me insoles for my trainers! Luckily after begging my GP for help I have an appointment on 11th March for an injection under ultra sound. I can't wait. I do not want to go off sick from work but the pain is sometimes unbearable! I now have a crutch to get me from the car to my hospital ward. Also after asking a few of the doctors I work with, not many have actually heard of Morton's, I have advised them to check the internet!!

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Foot health

How to keep your feet healthy, choose the right sports shoes and what to do if you have smelly feet

Getting help from the podiatrist

Taking care of your feet is essential. Here's how podiatrists and chiropodists can help