What if my NHS dental treatment goes wrong?

No additional charge should be made by your dentist when a restoration (filling, root filling, inlay, porcelain veneer or crown) has to be repaired or replaced within 12 months.

NHS dental treatment failure

If you were provided a restoration as part of your course of treatment, and it fails within 12 months, your dentist should carry out any work needed to repair or replace the restoration free of charge. This will not apply if:

  • within the 12-month period another dentist has carried out any treatment on the same tooth that has been restored, or
  • the patient was advised at the time of the restoration that it was temporary or a different restoration was more appropriate, but the patient insisted on a different form of restoration, or
  • the repair or restoration is a result of trauma

Making a complaint

If you’re unhappy with your NHS dental work, you can make a complaint. For more information, see How do I make a complaint about my dental treatment? 

Read the answers to more questions about dental health.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 03/02/2015

Next review due: 28/02/2017