Check here for alerts

What should I do if my penis is torn?

Go to your GP or local genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic if you have regular bleeding or discomfort because your penis is torn.

How can my penis tear?

It’s possible to tear the piece of skin that joins your foreskin to your penis. The medical name for this skin is the frenulum, but it’s also commonly known as the "banjo string". This piece of skin is sometimes particularly tight and can become torn, usually during sexual intercourse.

Will I need treatment?

The tear in your penis may get better without treatment. Avoid sexual activity until the tear has healed. Once it has healed, you can try using a lubricant during sex to prevent the problem from happening again.

What if my penis keeps tearing?

Sometimes, the tear may not heal properly and your penis may become torn again in the same place. If your penis keeps getting torn, you may need an operation called a frenuloplasty.

Frenuloplasty works by lengthening the frenulum. This should make having sex more comfortable and reduce the risk of the frenulum tearing again. You’re advised not to have sex for six weeks after the operation.

Read the answers to more questions about men's health.

Further information:



Video: a healthy sex life

A sexual psychotherapist gives advice on how to have a healthy and fulfilling sexual relationship.

Media last reviewed:

Next review due:

Page last reviewed: 27/11/2014

Next review due: 26/11/2016