What do I do if I lose my EHIC or it gets stolen?

It depends if you’re in the UK or already abroad when you need to replace your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).

Replacing your EHIC from the UK

If you need to replace your EHIC while you’re in the UK, call 0300 330 1350. You can also apply online or email nhsbsa.ehicenquiries@nhsbsa.nhs.uk.

If you prefer, you can write to:

EHIC Enquiries,
PO Box 1114,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE99 2TL

Provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and, if known, your EHIC Personal Identification Number (PIN).

Replacing your EHIC while abroad

If you need medical treatment when you’re abroad and your EHIC is lost or stolen you can apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). Someone else can do this on your behalf if necessary. The PRC will provide you with the same cover as an EHIC until you return home. It’ll be issued directly to the healthcare provider you’re having treatment with.

To apply for a PRC, call the Overseas Healthcare Team on 00 44 191 218 1999 (Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm). It's a good idea to save this number in your phone before you go.

To get a PRC, you'll need to provide your:

  • name
  • address
  • date of birth
  • National Insurance or NHS number (CHI in Scotland or Health and Care Number in Northern Ireland)
  • the details of the healthcare provider you're getting treatment with

Healthcare while travelling abroad

For information about access to healthcare abroad, see:

Read the answers to more questions about travel health.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 17/06/2015

Next review due: 30/04/2018