Where can I get travel vaccinations?

You can get travel vaccinations from:

  • your GP
  • the practice nurse at your GP surgery
  • a private travel clinic

They can also advise you on which vaccinations are recommended for your destination and check if you need any boosters, for example, against diphtheria, polio or tetanus.

They can also give you other advice about travel health, such as any local health risks and how to avoid getting ill while you're away.

Yellow fever is only given at designated Yellow Fever Vaccination Centres.

Getting advice about travel vaccinations

You should get advice at least eight weeks before you're due to travel as some jabs need to be given well in advance.

Whether you need any jabs will depend on:

  • the country you'll be travelling to
  • whether you have any medical conditions
  • whether you're taking any medication

Speak to your GP before having any vaccinations if:

  • you're pregnant
  • you think you might be pregnant
  • you're breastfeeding

Will I have to pay for travel jabs?

Some travel vaccinations may be available free on the NHS, such as:

  • polio (given as a tetanus, diphtheria and polio booster)
  • typhoid
  • the first dose of hepatitis A
  • cholera

However, not all travel jabs are free. GPs and travel clinics may charge for travel vaccinations that are not available on the NHS. For more information, see Which travel vaccinations are free?

Read the answers to more questions about travel health.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 04/10/2012

Next review due: 03/10/2014