Where can I get help to stop smoking?

If you want help to stop smoking, you can:

If you’re pregnant, you can also call the NHS Smokefree Pregnancy Helpline on 0800 1699 169. 

How your GP or pharmacist can help you stop smoking

Your GP can give you details of your local NHS Stop Smoking Service.

They can also prescribe NRT, or you can buy it directly from your pharmacist.

There are several types of NRT:

  • patches
  • gum
  • inhalators
  • microtabs
  • lozenges
  • nasal and mouth sprays

There’s no evidence that one type of NRT is more effective than another, so you can choose the one that suits you best. Some people should get advice from a healthcare professional before using NRT, for example pregnant women. For more information, see Who can use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)?

Your GP may prescribe non-nicotine containing medication to help you stop smoking. Two types of this medicine are currently licensed for stopping smoking:

  • varenicline (Champix) 
  • bupropion (Zyban)

Find out more about bupropion and varenicline in the Medicines A-Z. Read more about stop-smoking treatments.

NHS Stop Smoking Services

The NHS offers free local support to help you stop smoking. If you use local NHS Stop Smoking Services along with stop smoking medicines, studies have shown that you’re up to four times more likely to stop smoking successfully.

Trained NHS advisers provide stop-smoking advice to groups or individuals. They will help put your stop-smoking plan into action and give you expert advice on medicines, such as NRT.

Go to the NHS Smokefree website to find your local NHS Stop Smoking Service.

Read the answers to more questions about stopping smoking.

Further information:


Media last reviewed:

Next review due:

Page last reviewed: 04/06/2013

Next review due: 03/06/2015