Ham and egg single-decker
When you’re starving, this tasty sandwich will fill the hunger gap at breakfast.
This tasty little recipe takes only 15 minutes to prepare and serves 4 people.
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 8 slices wholemeal bread from a large loaf
- 4 wafer-thin slices roast ham
- 4 Iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- carrot, celery and cucumber sticks, to serve
Shell the hard-boiled eggs and chop them finely. Mix with the mayonnaise and season with ground black pepper.
Spread the egg mixture over 4 slices of wholemeal bread, top with a slice of ham, then finish off with the lettuce and tomatoes. Sandwich together with the remaining slices of wholemeal bread.
Cut the sandwiches in half. Wrap in cling film and keep chilled until ready to eat. Serve with carrot, celery and cucumber sticks.
- Tip 1: Use cress or watercress instead of Iceberg lettuce, if you prefer.
- Tip 2: For a vegetarian version, use 50g grated reduced-fat hard cheese instead of ham.
- Tip 3: Try topping the ham with some grated carrot or sliced cucumber instead of tomatoes, for a change.
Nutrition per serving (i.e. ¼ recipe)
- 282kcal/1180kJ 16g protein
- 10g fat of which 2g saturates
- 34g carbohydrate of which 6g sugars
- 5g dietary fibre
- 620mg sodium
- 1.5g salt
More healthy recipe ideas
Fancy trying some more easy, healthy recipes? Why not give these a go...
Smart swap is a registered trade mark of the Licensor and is used under licence