West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road,, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

customer training and inappropriate notice board

The information sent to me in relation to my endoscpy stated that I should go to the main reception desk on arrival where my details would be checked. I therefore headed straight for the desk. There were two members of staff gossiping with a third member of staff who was on the patient side of the desk. After a few minutes the third member of staff spoke to my wife and I, and without allowing us to explain that I was booked for an endoscopy, told us to go to the outpatients desk, at this point they turned back around and continued their earlier conversation.

At the out patient desk we were ,as expected, sent back to the main reception desk. At this point, insted of an apology, we were told that endoscopy was upstairs in a manner that we should have known this in the first place. Please can you adjust the information that is given to patients so that it states "Day Surgery reception" not main reception. I am dissappointed that I was made to feel like a complete inconvenience to those on the main desk.

All the staff in the Day Surgery Unit were brilliant and should be congratulated on their excellent care. I would though like to point out that the notice board in the area needs a bit of attention. The NHS should always project a high level of professionalism. A notice board with an upside down poster, several scrappy flyers for plumbers etc and a whole load of someones holiday photos of lions printed out badly on A4 paper do not, I feel, convey the correct message.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

We are sorry that you had this experience at West Berkshire Community Hospital. The reception desk is managed by a company called Bellrock - their contract manager is very sorry that you had to complain and he will be conducting an investigation into the behaviour of the receptionists immediately. The Matron for Theatres, Lead Nurse for Endoscopy and Lead Nurse for Day Surgery Unit will also review the letters being sent out and will adjust them to ensure a more accurate location is included. Thank you for your kind comments about the care delivered on the Day Surgery Unit and this has been shared with the staff in the Unit. The staff do pride themselves on delivering excellent care and are delighted when our patients offer comment on care received.
As for the noticeboard, the Matron and Day Surgery Lead Nurse will review this to ensure that what is displayed will reflect the professionalism that is delivered to the patients in our care. We thank you for your comments and we will take seriously your observations.

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not possible to book a blood test. Booking procedure broken

Apparently the turn up and wait procedure has been replaced with a booking only one. Ring the number and you are politely told that they cant take your call because they are on another line, and if you leave your number they will ring back. I tried this and waited for a call back thinking it can't be long before they finish with the other call. Wrong! No call back arrived and when I tried to ring again I got the same 'on another line' excuse'. I rang several times with the same response. After 4pm you might the very pleasant main receptionist who tries for you but with no response.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015

Alex reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Trying to book a blood test

I had been advised that I had to book an appointment for a blood test so I started phoning on Monday morning.
It has now past 3.30 pm and the system appears to have closed down.
I have made countless phone calls and the operator is on another line, or someone will call back (huh!) or the phone rings incessantly and "Ring back" does not work on this line.
I can accept that the blood taking ceases at 3.30 but surely the phone can be manned for a longer time to clear the backlog.
The old system was not perfect but was much better than this disaster. What is the next change? Take your own blood and post it somewhere!
Someone needs to get a grip and sort out this mess,

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service, new changes superb

I was a bit sceptical at first about the new change over to an appointment system but now having used it a few times I am extremely pleased they switched to this system. No more queuing for hours you simply turn up for your appointment time and are seen within minutes of arriving. Being at full time work this makes life so much easier and the ability to book online makes it a doddle. Staff as always are extremely polite and professional. 5 stars!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

josh gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 2 stars

lack of intrest

Attended an ENT appointment here as requested even though i live in the centre of reading. On arrival they informed me the doctor is late due to traffic. When i saw the doc 35 min late she had no idea why i was there then sent me packing with no more info that i knew already to be called later saying sorry you need to return i forgot i need to use a camera up your nasal cavity.

Do they not read the fileals before each patient?

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 03 February 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Mark gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

On the whole this is a friendly and efficient hospital

I am a fairly regular visitor here for cancer-related treatments and blood tests. It is lovely to have this local hospital in Newbury so I do not have to go to Reading or Oxford so often. I find staff here friendly and professional. I know there has been upheaval over the change to blood tests, but this should settle down and improve waiting times.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 04 February 2015

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visited as a day surgery case (ophthalmology) in early February 2015 with a follow up appointment in early March. Extremely satisfied with all aspects of my care. Thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

Many thanks for taking the time to send this positive feedback and it is reassuring to hear that the service you received has been good. We will ensure that all of the staff are made aware of your comments.

jh gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Visit to Minor Injuries Clinic

On visiting the minor injuries clinic on a Saturday morning I found that there would be an understandable wait of 90 minutes as two of the three Doctors were out on calls. I was seen after an hour and given a thorough examination and assessment. Whilst I may now need a new hip at least I knew that I could go abroad the next day without having to worry about an undiagnosed pain. I thought that the whole service was excellent - thank you.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 04 January 2015

Anonymous reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

New system for blood tests

Currently I regularly attend the phlebotomy dept at West Berks hospital, as I'm undergoing chemotherapy. Despite the fact I attended on 10 December, I was not given any information about the system changing from drop-in to appointments on 11 December. Before the next chemo on 8 Jan, I attended the phlebotomy department on 7 Jan and because I'd heard there had been some upset about this changing to an appointments only service I checked the website on 6 Jan and it still said it was a walk-in service, so I took that to be true.
When I arrived, late morning on 7 Jan, there was a larger queue than I'd ever seen before and I was advised I'd need an appointment and was given one for an hour and a half later, a much longer wait than I've ever had.
It may be that the system will prove to be more efficient once it has bedded in, but the change over has been shambolic. In addition to poor information, once you are waiting the screen to tell you your name has been called and which room to go to is ridiculously small and too low down for people to see if anyone is sitting in front of them, or talking to the receptionist. Incidentally, surely providing a receptionist is an additional cost? I have no complaints about her, she was handling agitated patients very diplomatically, but her time might be better served elsewhere.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 13 January 2015

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Reception is on duty ....extremely unhelpful. Called for information and was...

Reception is on duty ....extremely unhelpful. Called for information and was cut off mid sentence, second call no please, thank you , diverting call, or name given- - extremely unhelpful and not nice to talk to in my opinion. Receptions should be manned by people willing to give help and guidance, especially in this type of environment.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 26 January 2015