West Berkshire Community Hospital

01635 273300 London Road, Benham Hill , Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS

Till gave Podiatry at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Disappointed

Just arrived home after travelling from Reading for a minor op. We arrived at 8 a.m. As advised by letter and two texts. Only to be told upon arrival that the type of minor op my husband was due to have did not take place until the afternoon and to come back at 12:30. What a waste of time, petrol and car park charge.The receptionist remarked "that at least he would know where he was going"

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 24 April 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 24 April 2017

Hello Till,
Thank you for your posting and I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service provided at West Berkshire Community Hospital. This kind of minor operation is provided by The Royal Berkshire Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. I will contact colleagues there and share your feedback with them. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact TalkTous@royalberkshire.nhs.uk Tel: 0118 322 8338

Yours Sincerely,

Trevor Lyalle
Patient Advice & Liaison Service
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 0118 9605027
E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Martine gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

outpatients Rehabilatation

An appointment was attended today by care home staff supporting a man with a learning disability at a pain relief clinic. we were very impressed with the staff at the hospital and the environment. The staff were very caring, helpful, knowledgeable and sensitive to his needs. we were very pleased with the experience and treatment.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 19 April 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 27 April 2017

Dear Martine,
Thank you for your posting and kind comments. We are pleased to see that this gentleman received a good service at West Berkshire Community Hospital. I will share your feedback with staff concerned. I am sure that they will appreciate this.

Yours Sincerely,

Trevor Lyalle
Patient Advice & Liaison Service
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 0118 9605027
E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Linda smith gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

amazing service

Nothing but praise. 5 appointments ears and eyes everyone on time or before. Staff so polite friendly nice people. Follow ups very fast. Talked through every procedure assured about everything. All staff appear to enjoy their work. Letter follow ups with 24/48 hours. So on the ball. CAtarachs op I am in awe of the procedure and the magnificent results. Can not thank you enough.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you for such great feedback about the Audiology and Ophthalmology Services at West Berkshire Community Hospital.The teams work really hard to ensure the best standard of care so they will be delighted to read your positive review. We will make sure your comments are shared with all the staff involved. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Dee Bavister gave Heart Failure Service at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

West Berkshire Hospital in General for several departments

I have been under the Audiology Section for a long time now and can only give praise for the lovely and polite help and assistance both my husband and I have received. He always comes home and says he will have to go back but that is in the nature of the beast!! LOL. Myself I have to say that they have looked after me very well and tried to do everything they can to help me bear the affliction of very noisy tinnitus My husband needed dental work and this was carried out in a very efficient and pleasant manner. He also has regular podiatry and they are very pleasant and helpful to him. I have had two operations in the Day Patient area with my surgeon and I have said before that I cannot speak highly enough of them as a surgeon and a very pleasant one at that and of their team and the nurses and secretarial staff in the Day operation area.We are so fortunate to have such a lovely hospital on our doorstep. Some have complained about the wait in the drop in centre for audiology and it can be frustrating but that is the nature of the repair clinic. Believe you me when I say I did attend another area and compared to Newbury it was like a cattle market and I would not recommend it to anybody. I would have to think seriously before I moved from the care of such a lovely hospital.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 01 February 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Audiology Service at West Berkshire Community Hospital. The team work hard to deliver quality care so it’s great to hear that you found the staff polite and helpful. We will make sure your comments are shared with the team.
The drop-in service can indeed be busy with the numbers attending difficult to predict. We would always recommend bringing a book or perhaps visiting the friendly tea bar while you wait. The drop-in service is useful for those needing urgent help on the same day, while booked or postal follow ups are available for those who can wait a few days. There is also a drop-in repair service every day at the Royal Berkshire Hospital site in Reading should access be required on further days.

Catherine edwardes gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

My sincerest thanks to my audiologist who gave me my first session today. An outstanding consultation in all respects. For the first time I have felt someone has taken the time and care to listen to my woes and investigated in a highly professional manner. Professional but extremely sympathetic. Was not given brilliant news but now I know why I haven't felt well and the audiologist reassured me with a clear outline of where we go from here. Can barely believe in these days of financial pressures that anyone was able to have the time and energy to help me so much.
The whole hospital has a very pleasant welcoming feel about it from the minute you walk in. All the staff have happy faces and time to help. A special place.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 02 October 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 10 December 2015

Thank you for your comments about the Audiology Service at the West Berkshire Community Hospital.
We always aim to provide the highest quality care for our patients and are therefore delighted to hear your lovely comments and pleased that you received a professional and caring service. We will ensure that your kind words are shared with all the team and we wish you well.

Anonymous gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unacceptable waiting time

I took my mother to the afternoon drop in on Tuesday 27th October.
We arrived at 2:00pm and we paid for 2 hours parking thinking this would be plenty of time.
We picked up the card with 16 on it. Number 2 had just gone in.
After one hour I went to out-patient appointments to ask why the system could not be changed to an appointment system (similar to the system now used for taking blood).
I was told that Audiology is not run by the Community Hospital and that having an appointment would defeat the idea of a drop in.
We were not seen until 3:50pm when the audiologist looked into my mother's ears and said "They are full of wax - I can't do anything here today"
Surely an initial screening of arrivals would help with this sort of situation.
I felt that because many of the people waiting were elderly, probably retired and had communication problems they were being expected to sit and take a very poor service.
A working person could not afford to spend that time simply waiting.
I felt patronised by the answers to my questions - as if it was a surprise to have a complaint. People did not seem open to new ideas or suggestions.
I did however discover that you can make an appointment but you will be seen by a volunteer - not an audiologist and they will simply check tubing,ear moulds and microphone covers.
There were a lot of very frustrated and annoyed people waiting for this service.
I am sure that all audiologists would realise that deafness is a condition which is inherently frustrating and would not wish to exacerbate this.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 28 October 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 30 October 2015

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Audiology Drop-in Repairs Clinic at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience and very much appreciate such comments to help us improve the service.
The nature of the drop-in clinic is that it can be very busy; while at times it can be quiet and patients are seen quickly, there can be peaks in attendance, quite often after lunch as you experienced, resulting in a lengthy wait. It is clear from your comments that we can better communicate the anticipated wait time. As a visiting service to the West Berkshire Community Hospital, we will talk to the management team to see how we can better improve signage, e.g. an electronic screen in the busy general waiting area.

We are committed to providing an accessible service to allow patients with a hearing impairment in urgent need, a solution the very same day. Clinics are held every day at the main hospital site in Reading and also at least weekly at our community hospital sites. We recently surveyed patients about the drop-in service. While some noted an issue with wait times, overall most were supportive of such a service, which allows you to drop in any time or day, without an appointment to have your hearing aid problem resolved. A drop-in service also helps maximise the number of people who can access help when they need it. We have trialled a booked repairs system but a significant number of patients did not turn up. We recognise that the uncertainty of a drop-in service may not suit everyone so we also have a weekly evening service in Reading where an aftercare appointment can be booked. We also offer a postal repair service suitable for some repairs. As you note, we do also have a Volunteer Service that complements the above services. This excellent team provides routine maintenance in booked appointment slots e.g. re-tubing, dome replacement etc.
We encourage patients to call us if they would like any of the above appointments to be made.
Full information about the range of Audiology services, including the drop-in service, is available on the website, plus also included in the booklet given to patients at the hearing aid fitting appointment. This sets expectations about the aftercare wait times and also provides a useful list of times and locations of our services as well as including practical tips and advice. We would be delighted to supply a further copy to anyone who feels this may be useful.
If your mother’s problem has not been resolved or you have other questions, queries or issues, then please contact the department and we will be delighted to help.
Thank you for your feedback.

Julie gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

podiatric surgery

I would like to thank three members of staff for the outstanding care they gave me from start to finish. They were welcoming and made me feel at ease. I have yet to have my follow up appointment but I am sure it will follow on from the efficient and professional care I have already received, thank you once again. Also a huge thank you to all the staff on the day surgery ward for looking after me.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 03 September 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 08 December 2015

Thank you for your kind feedback. It is always rewarding to hear when we have achieved our aim of providing an excellent service to our patients. The matron for the area has passed on your review to the team concerned.

Bridget Levingston gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

WBCH Podiatric Surgery

An extremely efficient and professional team took care of me from my first meeting right through surgery and post op care. The procedure and my post operative recovery were outstanding. I was treated with the utmost respect and care. No-one likes to be in hospital, but this experience was one of the most positive medical experiences I have every had.

Thank you to everyone at the hospital, from receptionists, nurses, consultants and registrar's, theatre team - absolutely all of you are part of an excellent, efficient, friendly team and are a credit to the NHS system.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 August 2015

Thank you so much for this excellent review of the services offered to you at our Day Surgery Unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are delighted that you have received the level of care we strive to deliver to the patients in our care. This is a testament to the excellent team work at WBCH across all disciplines. We wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

annette goulden gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

day surgery unit

I attended the day surgery unit for a minor operation under local anaesthetic on my foot. The staff were welcoming, efficient and made me feel very cared for. The podiatrists explained the procedure, answering my questions with care and explaining who would be present and their respective roles. All went to plan gently and professionally, with minimum of fuss.
After the operation I was offered a choice of refreshments, opting for a mug of tea with toast and Marmite! The care from the surgeons and the nursing staff could not have been more solicitous and friendly, and it was clear that they worked as a mutually supportive and well functioning team.
Thank you, every one of you !

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 14 August 2015

Thank very much for offering this exceptional feedback. We are delighted that you received the excellent care we strive to deliver at West Berkshire Community Hospital and your satisfation with the whole process is a testament to the team work that ensures we offer and deliver excellent care to our patients. I wish you a speedy recovery.
Alice E Jones
Matron Theatres and Anaesthetics

Jim Kelly gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Inguinal hernia surgery \at West Berkshire Community Hospita

I was referred to W.B.C.H. for an inguinal hernia operation to be done on July the 7th. i found all staff absolutely brilliant, attentive and informative. They explained every step of the procedure and answered all of my queries as well as giving me advice.
The surgeon and anaesthetist came to see me before the operation and again explained the procedure. They again came to see me after the procedure with feedback and advice. They both did a brilliant job which was not straightforward.
I would like to give all staff 10 out of 10. They made me feel as if I was their only patient and apart from being thoroughly professional gave their own personal touch to make me feel comfortable. We should be proud of NHS staff like these.
Again many thanks from "The Kerryman" Jim Kelly

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 23 July 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 27 July 2015

Many thanks for your kind appreciation of the care you received at WBCH Day Surgery Unit. We believe that each patient is unique and as such deserves care appropriate to their individual meeds. We strive to deliver patient care to be proud of and we can see from your feedback we achieved our goal in delivering excellent care, as you have awarded 10 out of 10 to the team! We wish you a speedy recovery and and we are grateful for your kind comments.