West Berkshire Community Hospital

01635 273300 London Road, Benham Hill , Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS

Sandra Talbot gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great Service from the Physio Department

I recently had Physiotherapy and Acupuncture at West Berks Hospital and I have to say that the two members of staff I saw were both extremely nice and compassionate., They listen and didn't judge and helped in so many ways.

I would like to thank them both for taking the time to go that extra mile, especially when the NHS is so so busy'

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 12 June 2017

Dear Sandra,
Thank you for your posting and your kind comments. We are pleased that you were happy with the service provided at West Berkshire Community Hospital. I will share your feedback with staff concerned. I know that they will appreciate this.
Kind Regards,
E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Podiatry at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Air-con

I was waiting in the area of the red and blue chairs the temperature that day was 34c, a lot of people in this area were elderly, everyone one was feeling the heat, a few people left as it was 29f in the hospital. I asked a nurse why the air-con wasn't on, the nurse said they didn't have it as it could cause legionnaires decease. I mentioned this to my friend in America and this was her reply:-

"The Americans have air-conditioning on in every single building in their country - hospitals included - in temperatures that rise all the way up into the 100's (F). Air-conditioning at 85 F is not going to cause or spread Legionnaires disease. If it did, the entire American population would be dead by now."

Its the heat that spreads all sorts of ailments in hospital, not air-con.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 28 June 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 03 July 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and I am sorry that the waiting area was uncomfortable on this occasion. I have been in touch with our Estates Department and the reason that the hospital does not have air conditioning equipment is because we only experience extreme hot weather on relatively rare occasions. To reduce the need for air conditioning, window blinds should be used to reduce the amount of heat entering the building and to direct strong sunlight up towards the ceiling.

The reference to legionella and air conditioning is a misunderstanding. The reason that we can only use certain portable air conditioning units is because they collect the condensed water, which has the potential for harbouring the legionella bacteria. To avoid this problem portable units have to be of the type that is vented directly to the outside , which is not always practical or possible in certain areas of the hospital building. Air handling and cooling systems in hospitals are very well managed, the risk of Legionnaires disease from these systems is negligible. It is more likely that the initial capital cost of installation could not be met or that running costs were prohibitive at the time.

We are very conscious of our carbon footprint and the whole sustainability agenda. The additional costs incurred with installing, maintaining and running air conditioning can be a problem. We do have air conditioning in some patient areas across our hospital sites but usually areas where our most unwell patients spend long periods of time and even then considerable thought goes into where and why air conditioning units are installed. We also have “Heat Wave” plans which, when triggered, find us issuing a variety of emergency remedies to help comfort our patients.

I hope that this answers your concerns. If I can assist further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely,

E Mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

SI H gave Community nursing at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

MY X ray at WBCH

After having been a privet patient for all most 25 + years with the various company's out there paid for by my company
but now retired i no longer have privet cover
so when i was told by my GP i needed x-rays on both ankles it filled me with dread when they utter those word royal Berkshire hospital for an x ray uuurrrr
i have been up to the RBH to visit people in the past and it,s just a night mare to fine your way round that's if you can find a parking place in the first place
just count face it .
They could see i was not happy and said you can go to thatcham hospital [ WBCH ] if you wish for the x rays just turn up in the opening times for the x ray
yes please i said .
well turned up to day 3rd may 10.45 found a place to park all most strait a way and reasonable parking charge of £1.00 for two hrs. .
i found the x ray department in the end after ending up on the first floor but that was my fault .
told them i was there at reception and was told to take a seat i looked around and all most of the seats where taken so thought to my self i going to be hear for hours' hours , after 15 minuets i was suppressed my name was called to take a seat out side the x ray department i guess i was there for 5 minuets and was called for the x ray
well i cant believe it,s been less the half an hour and i been seen
i had my x rays taken and was out the door in 35-40 minuets,, i cant still believe it
all i can say is well done WBCH x ray department keep up the good work my faith for the NHS hospitals is on the up AAA+++

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 03 May 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 10 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback regarding your recent visit to the West Berkshire Community Hospital X-Ray Department. It is reassuring to know that we were able to deliver such a timely service. Your kind comments will be passed on to the staff involved.

Linda smith gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

amazing service

Nothing but praise. 5 appointments ears and eyes everyone on time or before. Staff so polite friendly nice people. Follow ups very fast. Talked through every procedure assured about everything. All staff appear to enjoy their work. Letter follow ups with 24/48 hours. So on the ball. CAtarachs op I am in awe of the procedure and the magnificent results. Can not thank you enough.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 06 March 2017

Thank you for such great feedback about the Audiology and Ophthalmology Services at West Berkshire Community Hospital.The teams work really hard to ensure the best standard of care so they will be delighted to read your positive review. We will make sure your comments are shared with all the staff involved. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Dee Bavister gave Heart Failure Service at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

West Berkshire Hospital in General for several departments

I have been under the Audiology Section for a long time now and can only give praise for the lovely and polite help and assistance both my husband and I have received. He always comes home and says he will have to go back but that is in the nature of the beast!! LOL. Myself I have to say that they have looked after me very well and tried to do everything they can to help me bear the affliction of very noisy tinnitus My husband needed dental work and this was carried out in a very efficient and pleasant manner. He also has regular podiatry and they are very pleasant and helpful to him. I have had two operations in the Day Patient area with my surgeon and I have said before that I cannot speak highly enough of them as a surgeon and a very pleasant one at that and of their team and the nurses and secretarial staff in the Day operation area.We are so fortunate to have such a lovely hospital on our doorstep. Some have complained about the wait in the drop in centre for audiology and it can be frustrating but that is the nature of the repair clinic. Believe you me when I say I did attend another area and compared to Newbury it was like a cattle market and I would not recommend it to anybody. I would have to think seriously before I moved from the care of such a lovely hospital.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 01 February 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 14 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Audiology Service at West Berkshire Community Hospital. The team work hard to deliver quality care so it’s great to hear that you found the staff polite and helpful. We will make sure your comments are shared with the team.
The drop-in service can indeed be busy with the numbers attending difficult to predict. We would always recommend bringing a book or perhaps visiting the friendly tea bar while you wait. The drop-in service is useful for those needing urgent help on the same day, while booked or postal follow ups are available for those who can wait a few days. There is also a drop-in repair service every day at the Royal Berkshire Hospital site in Reading should access be required on further days.

Anonymous gave Minor injuries unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great care from a great set of staff

I've been to Thatcham twice, once for me - with a broken arm, and once with my daughter for a sprain, both times they treated us quickly, efficiently and with a great care.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 30 May 2017

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 30 May 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your posting and kind comments. We are pleased that you were happy with the care and treatment provided to you and your daughter at West Berkshire Community Hospital. I will share your feedback with staff. I know that they will appreciate this.

Kind Regards,

E Mail: BHT@berkshire.nhs.uk

Catherine edwardes gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding

My sincerest thanks to my audiologist who gave me my first session today. An outstanding consultation in all respects. For the first time I have felt someone has taken the time and care to listen to my woes and investigated in a highly professional manner. Professional but extremely sympathetic. Was not given brilliant news but now I know why I haven't felt well and the audiologist reassured me with a clear outline of where we go from here. Can barely believe in these days of financial pressures that anyone was able to have the time and energy to help me so much.
The whole hospital has a very pleasant welcoming feel about it from the minute you walk in. All the staff have happy faces and time to help. A special place.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 02 October 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 10 December 2015

Thank you for your comments about the Audiology Service at the West Berkshire Community Hospital.
We always aim to provide the highest quality care for our patients and are therefore delighted to hear your lovely comments and pleased that you received a professional and caring service. We will ensure that your kind words are shared with all the team and we wish you well.

Anonymous gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unacceptable waiting time

I took my mother to the afternoon drop in on Tuesday 27th October.
We arrived at 2:00pm and we paid for 2 hours parking thinking this would be plenty of time.
We picked up the card with 16 on it. Number 2 had just gone in.
After one hour I went to out-patient appointments to ask why the system could not be changed to an appointment system (similar to the system now used for taking blood).
I was told that Audiology is not run by the Community Hospital and that having an appointment would defeat the idea of a drop in.
We were not seen until 3:50pm when the audiologist looked into my mother's ears and said "They are full of wax - I can't do anything here today"
Surely an initial screening of arrivals would help with this sort of situation.
I felt that because many of the people waiting were elderly, probably retired and had communication problems they were being expected to sit and take a very poor service.
A working person could not afford to spend that time simply waiting.
I felt patronised by the answers to my questions - as if it was a surprise to have a complaint. People did not seem open to new ideas or suggestions.
I did however discover that you can make an appointment but you will be seen by a volunteer - not an audiologist and they will simply check tubing,ear moulds and microphone covers.
There were a lot of very frustrated and annoyed people waiting for this service.
I am sure that all audiologists would realise that deafness is a condition which is inherently frustrating and would not wish to exacerbate this.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 28 October 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 30 October 2015

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Audiology Drop-in Repairs Clinic at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience and very much appreciate such comments to help us improve the service.
The nature of the drop-in clinic is that it can be very busy; while at times it can be quiet and patients are seen quickly, there can be peaks in attendance, quite often after lunch as you experienced, resulting in a lengthy wait. It is clear from your comments that we can better communicate the anticipated wait time. As a visiting service to the West Berkshire Community Hospital, we will talk to the management team to see how we can better improve signage, e.g. an electronic screen in the busy general waiting area.

We are committed to providing an accessible service to allow patients with a hearing impairment in urgent need, a solution the very same day. Clinics are held every day at the main hospital site in Reading and also at least weekly at our community hospital sites. We recently surveyed patients about the drop-in service. While some noted an issue with wait times, overall most were supportive of such a service, which allows you to drop in any time or day, without an appointment to have your hearing aid problem resolved. A drop-in service also helps maximise the number of people who can access help when they need it. We have trialled a booked repairs system but a significant number of patients did not turn up. We recognise that the uncertainty of a drop-in service may not suit everyone so we also have a weekly evening service in Reading where an aftercare appointment can be booked. We also offer a postal repair service suitable for some repairs. As you note, we do also have a Volunteer Service that complements the above services. This excellent team provides routine maintenance in booked appointment slots e.g. re-tubing, dome replacement etc.
We encourage patients to call us if they would like any of the above appointments to be made.
Full information about the range of Audiology services, including the drop-in service, is available on the website, plus also included in the booklet given to patients at the hearing aid fitting appointment. This sets expectations about the aftercare wait times and also provides a useful list of times and locations of our services as well as including practical tips and advice. We would be delighted to supply a further copy to anyone who feels this may be useful.
If your mother’s problem has not been resolved or you have other questions, queries or issues, then please contact the department and we will be delighted to help.
Thank you for your feedback.

Julie gave General Surgery at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

podiatric surgery

I would like to thank three members of staff for the outstanding care they gave me from start to finish. They were welcoming and made me feel at ease. I have yet to have my follow up appointment but I am sure it will follow on from the efficient and professional care I have already received, thank you once again. Also a huge thank you to all the staff on the day surgery ward for looking after me.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 03 September 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 08 December 2015

Thank you for your kind feedback. It is always rewarding to hear when we have achieved our aim of providing an excellent service to our patients. The matron for the area has passed on your review to the team concerned.

Bridget Levingston gave Orthopaedics at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

WBCH Podiatric Surgery

An extremely efficient and professional team took care of me from my first meeting right through surgery and post op care. The procedure and my post operative recovery were outstanding. I was treated with the utmost respect and care. No-one likes to be in hospital, but this experience was one of the most positive medical experiences I have every had.

Thank you to everyone at the hospital, from receptionists, nurses, consultants and registrar's, theatre team - absolutely all of you are part of an excellent, efficient, friendly team and are a credit to the NHS system.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 August 2015

Thank you so much for this excellent review of the services offered to you at our Day Surgery Unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital. We are delighted that you have received the level of care we strive to deliver to the patients in our care. This is a testament to the excellent team work at WBCH across all disciplines. We wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.