West Berkshire Community Hospital

01635 273300 London Road, Benham Hill , Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS

John Stevenson gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Phlebotomy Feedback

I have used the Blood Sample system operated by Sangix since it started. I,m due Chemo on Wednesday 13th at 9.00am at RBH Reading. I live in Newbury and used the "old" card system for many years. The longest I had to wait would be 45 minutes. I can't get an appointment on the system until Tuesday 12th. Too late for me. I have encountered this before. I people have a fixed appointment why is there usually 12 people waiting? I don't mind waiting the RBH operates the old card system and they have never let me down. I travel to Reading from Newbury by choice and will do so tomorrow because I cannot get seen till Tuesday. Also the Sangix system is a nightmare. It is not user friendly. I have made an appointment for the 19th at Newbury at 11.55am along with 7 other appointments!!!. I cancelled these by phone today so as not to take up slots for others. Once you "Confirm" an appointment it does not show Green on the calendar. So you think you haven't made an appointment. The e-mail follows. Also it pops up a banner to refresh your computer. Once made I cannot cancel. I phoned the help no. at 3.00pm yesterday and was rung back at 10.30am today. Today I rang again for an e-mail address at 10.30am and was responded to at 2.45pm. As we speak the system chart does not register in red.. The other overbookings now appear as green availability. Stand and listen to comments made by the public especially the elderly. the bulk of your custom. I notice there is currently a software apology on the site. It will not do. Needs a fix urgent.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 07 April 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Blood

Yesterday I kindly received a text to remind me of my blood appointment today. Unfortunately I had to cancel the appointment as I needed an emergency Doctors appointment. I tried to cancel on line but the system just does not work! If you put in Sangix it gives you lots of information about how wonderful the service is but no opportunity to cancel an appointment. This is strange as the text I had received said to go to site and cancel on line?
If the option to cancel on line was easy and clear then it would sure free up the staff on reception who have a very busy job to manage.
This new service, if it would work easily, would be very good. Who ever is operating it needs to have a re think and look at the on line system. Perhaps a direct link to cancellations on the text? Or a direct link to the telephone number on the text?

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 28 April 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Sally gave Minor injuries unit at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Acessing Minor Injuries Clinis

Apparently before you go to the Unit you must call 111 first. As we had never needed to take our daughter there before we did not know this. Frustratingly we did check the website first and it does not tell you this anywhere on the website !
We were sent away and asked to come back 2 hours later.
It just would have been really really useful if it could be put on the website - Please! We were also told that ulcerated tonsils which is what she had was not a minor injury (which I understand) however it still needed treating quickly this being Easter Bank holiday and felt we shouldn't wait another 2 days for the infection to take further hold! Not really sure why a minor injury is different in terms of assessing and treating than a sever case of tonsilitus.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 27 March 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 28 April 2016

Hello,
Thank you for your posting. I have been in touch with our Urgent Care and Adult Services Manager. She and our Minor Injuries Unit Matron have looked into this and we feel that there has been confusion between the MIU and Out Of Hours GP services. You and your daughter attended West Berkshire Community Hospital over the Easter Weekend. On arrival the receptionists would have asked if the problem was an injury. I understand that you told them that it was a sore throat. The receptionists would have explained that the MIU only sees people with injuries and your daughter needed to see the OOH GP. The receptionists do educate the patients that they should phone 111 if they need a GP appointment. MIU would not routinely see patients with tonsillitis but we would ensure that they are sent to the correct service for treatment.

As the patient is what we refer to as a 'walk in' they would have had a set of observations done to make sure they were safe to wait for the GP and then given the next available appointment which in this case was 2 hours. You could have waited but most people would rather go home to wait. If this had been a week day you could have contacted your daughters' GP and asked for an emergency appointment and would have probably had to wait for at least 2 hours.MIU will see every patient with a minor injury without an appointment.

We are sorry to see that you were dissatisfied with your experience at the Minor Injuries Unit and for any confusion caused. Your feedback will inform the development of this service going forward. The Urgent Care and Adult Services Manager would be happy to speak to you to discuss this further should you wish. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk Please contact me if I can assist further.
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Booking blood tests.

This is an appalling service. It is almost impossible to get through on the phone. 17 attempts on one day. The on line booking system only books a week ahead and it's not possible to get through to the following week. If you are a warfarin patient this is no help at all. The answer to this problem is to come in before 10.00 and wait. Great for the people who have got appointments. The "we will return your call within 48 hours" isn't exactly helpful. I have found that the only guaranteed method is to go in and make an appointment in person. I feel very sorry for the receptionists who are trying to cope, but what is the manager doing to try to improve matters? CAE.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 03 March 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor blood services.

Poor treatment for people on Warfarin. A little more understanding for them from receptionists wouldn't go amiss.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 10 March 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Barry gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Booking a blood test at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Two weeks ago I tried to book a blood test. I phoned and left my details I still have not received a reply. My son now needs a blood test so with no faith in the telephone booking system I decided to have a go at the online booking. The message on the telephone system gives incorrect information. I tried to phone to complain to services manager but both the landline and mobile were on answerphone. I have left messages. I eventually got onto the online booking to find that the next available appointment I can attend will be 2 weeks away. In my opinion the new blood test booking procedure is a complete failure and the turn up and wait system was far better. The longest I usually had to wait was 30 minutes. I look forward to hearing why after such a long time the new system is not working properly and why the phone message gives the wrong online booking details and finally why there is simply not a link to follow on the website.

Barry

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Caroline Russell gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Blood test debacle

the phone line is permanently engaged. If you are fortunate enough to get through and leave a message and someone does call back (which doesn't always happen) you can guarantee it's at a time that you can't get to the phone. then they ask you to call back....The message with the website link sounds like sandex

The earliest appt I could get today is 3rd March. Main reception are aware of all the issues and say they told the unit weeks ago that the website address isn't legible on the answer machine.

Also this review site keeps loosing the review text!

Why can't we just wait again!!!! Ggggrrrrr...

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 08 April 2016

Hello,
Thank you for your posting. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the delay in replying to your comments, and that you've had such an unsatisfactory experience in trying to book your blood test at West Berkshire Community Hospital. I have been in touch with the Phlebotomy Service Manager and we have been struggling with the volume of calls we receive. and we had envisaged that more patients would use the online booking system. Unfortunately, this was not the case, and we continued to struggle, even when we allocated another member of staff to the reception desk in the interim until we could find a viable solution.
However, since your comments were made , we have implemented an automated telephone appointment system to book your blood tests, which is available to any patient who has previously booked a blood test, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. As long as your details are in the Sangix system, and your date of birth and contact telephone number have been entered when you booked your first blood test with the Receptionist, you should be able to make your appointment via the automated system by following the instructions and keying in your date of birth and contact telephone number when prompted, via the telephone keypad and then follow the instructions. Any new patients will still need to go through to the Receptionist to register and book their first appointment, but will then be able to use the automated system for any subsequent blood tests requested.

If patients use this new automated system, it will eventually allow us to take back one of our Phlebotomists who has been covering the Reception Desk/Appointment Line, as the volume of work was too great for one Receptionist. This will enable us to provide more appointments, as the Phlebotomist will be back doing her main duty, which is taking blood from the patients.

With regard to the Online Booking System, we have now had a web page created on the Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust website, with a link to the online booking system.We have also re-recorded the answerphone message a number of weeks ago due to the issue you described.

Once again we are sorry that your experience of booking a blood test was not good, and hope that booking a blood test will be a more straightforward experience for you in the future. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this further. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website, www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: bht@berkshire.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 2 stars

blood test for 5 year old

Whilst the staff were pleasant enough I feel there needs to be more improvement for children having blood tests. My 5 year old visited the paediatric team and we already had the cream on. We checked in and waited 40 minutes for cream to work. 2 phleobotomists try to take blood both without success. My son was just lying across me so could see and hates blood! We returned the next day and were told to make him drink (this could have been suggested first time round). We went back (having had to pay for more cream) the next day and asked for a specific member of staff. They said they were going on their break so come back in 40 minutes. We went in the cafe and returned (my son was nervous as he was very bruised from the previous day). They then spoke to their colleague and told me their colleague now needs to go for a break! Thankfully the colleague said it was OK when they saw my annoyed look. Finally the blood test was done but my son was badly bruised. I wasn't too concerned as it was all over. However today I received a letter saying the wrong sample was received for the coeliac screen and has to be redone! I am fuming to say the least! How can you send the wrong sample??? I will never go back there with my son. They need to consider the child's age and put things in place to ensure it runs smoothly. They also need distraction techniques such as posters/Ipads etc. Not atall happy!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 26 March 2016

baker29 reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

definitely very poor

Ti took 10 minuets to eventually get logged on then there is nowhere to make an appoiment

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 16 February 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 22 February 2016

Hello,
Thank you for your posting. I have been in touch with our Head of Scheduled Care Services and we are sorry that you are experiencing problems when making an appointment. We are assuming that you are referring to the internet booking system but we aren't sure. We would like to investigate these problems so please contact us so that can understand your concerns and rectify them. Alternatively, you could contact ypour local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details can be found on our website www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
Patient Advice & Liaison Service
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust.
Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Joanne Martin gave Podiatry at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bunion Surgery

I recently was referred to the consultant and their team at the West Berks Hospital and can genuinely say it was one of the best NHS care I received ever.

The hospital its self is small and friendly, and has more of a cottage hospital feel, but still offers a wide range of services. Every member of staff I encountered was friendly, helpful and welcoming, from the Receptionist to the Radiographer.

The service was incredibly quick; I attended on the 4th November 2015 for my initial consultation and then went back on the 13th November for my pre-ops. At this appointment was asked when would be best for me to have my op; I was surprised I was actually given a choice, but I was. I decided to wait until after Christmas and had my op on the 6th January 2016. The operation itself was over and done within 45 mins and after some tea and toast, I was allowed to go home. The post-ops appointments were quick and seamless, no long wait to be seen, x-rayed etc, straight in and out.

I can honestly say i would not have received better care and treatment if I had had this op performed privately, and the outcome of the procedure is amazing.

Yes the foot was very painful for the first few days, but manageable with over-the-counter painkillers, the worst part was having to stay in for a couple of weeks post-op, but then I had what is technically a broken foot, so that was to be expected.

I am now 9 weeks post-up and my foot looks and feels great.

The treatment I received from the consultant and their assistant was second to none and I am so happy to have had my treatment carried out by this expert team.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 13 March 2016