West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: Website address not added

Dee gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Phlebotomy Department

Yesterday I had a blood test from phlebotomist who was in training. They were being excellently guided and I told them that I was a difficult person from whom to take blood!
They proceeded under guidance and took the blood expertly and for the first time in 60 years I do not have a bruise! Wonderful! usually I am black and blue for a long time!
Well done and to the trainer for their guidance.

We must do all we can to support this excellent hospital. I am so grateful to them. They have helped me so much.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 06 May 2015

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Painful Colonoscopy

I just had an endoscopy/colonoscopy. Pain during the colonoscopy was absolutely excruciating. I felt little effect from the sedation and pain relief given. Nursing staff were great and helped me through but I can't ever I imagine I would ever want to go through this procedure again.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 17 May 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

whywhy gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Whats the point of making an appointment for a blood test?

You book an appointment for a blood test arrive in good time and just sit there to be apologised to by the embarrassed other people that have just walked in off the street and go straight in, you speak to the staff on the desk and get told sorry its the Phlebotomists that call the patient in. That may well be correct, but its the staff on the desk that load the computer to set the order Please can they get there act together? a good idea that is run very badly.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 08 April 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy Dept

All the staff, including main reception, were very kind and attentive during my recent short stay at the Day Unit. Very calm atmosphere. New blood test appointment system works well, staff on reception very helpful.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

Gordon Oliver gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic care and excellent staff

I went in for an arthroscopy procedure to trim a damaged cartilage in my knee. I was really impressed with the hospital, the professionalism of the staff and the standard of care that I received. I would have not hesitation in recommending West Berkshire Community Hospital. It is so important that we retain a unit in Newbury for these minor operations.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 23 April 2015

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Highclere Ward, Excellent

My Father was admitted to Highclere Ward on Wed 29th April, He has been extremely well looked after, we as His family have been kept well informed of Dad's ongoing tests, treatment etc.and the care and understanding that they have for my Mum is just outstanding, we are very grateful.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 01 May 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Sheila Burch gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

blood test appointments

I was told I could book a blood test online - so I came to this web site. - couldn't find any way to access the booking system on either West Berks. Community Hospital, the Trust, or Phlebtomy. So it is back to the endless wait on the phone. Not good!!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 05 May 2015

Reason for using Thatcham

I would rather travel to Thatcham the reason being it is good for parking and a very friendly place to be.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 April 2015

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

customer training and inappropriate notice board

The information sent to me in relation to my endoscpy stated that I should go to the main reception desk on arrival where my details would be checked. I therefore headed straight for the desk. There were two members of staff gossiping with a third member of staff who was on the patient side of the desk. After a few minutes the third member of staff spoke to my wife and I, and without allowing us to explain that I was booked for an endoscopy, told us to go to the outpatients desk, at this point they turned back around and continued their earlier conversation.

At the out patient desk we were ,as expected, sent back to the main reception desk. At this point, insted of an apology, we were told that endoscopy was upstairs in a manner that we should have known this in the first place. Please can you adjust the information that is given to patients so that it states "Day Surgery reception" not main reception. I am dissappointed that I was made to feel like a complete inconvenience to those on the main desk.

All the staff in the Day Surgery Unit were brilliant and should be congratulated on their excellent care. I would though like to point out that the notice board in the area needs a bit of attention. The NHS should always project a high level of professionalism. A notice board with an upside down poster, several scrappy flyers for plumbers etc and a whole load of someones holiday photos of lions printed out badly on A4 paper do not, I feel, convey the correct message.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 26 March 2015

We are sorry that you had this experience at West Berkshire Community Hospital. The reception desk is managed by a company called Bellrock - their contract manager is very sorry that you had to complain and he will be conducting an investigation into the behaviour of the receptionists immediately. The Matron for Theatres, Lead Nurse for Endoscopy and Lead Nurse for Day Surgery Unit will also review the letters being sent out and will adjust them to ensure a more accurate location is included. Thank you for your kind comments about the care delivered on the Day Surgery Unit and this has been shared with the staff in the Unit. The staff do pride themselves on delivering excellent care and are delighted when our patients offer comment on care received.
As for the noticeboard, the Matron and Day Surgery Lead Nurse will review this to ensure that what is displayed will reflect the professionalism that is delivered to the patients in our care. We thank you for your comments and we will take seriously your observations.

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not possible to book a blood test. Booking procedure broken

Apparently the turn up and wait procedure has been replaced with a booking only one. Ring the number and you are politely told that they cant take your call because they are on another line, and if you leave your number they will ring back. I tried this and waited for a call back thinking it can't be long before they finish with the other call. Wrong! No call back arrived and when I tried to ring again I got the same 'on another line' excuse'. I rang several times with the same response. After 4pm you might the very pleasant main receptionist who tries for you but with no response.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015