West Berkshire Community Hospital

01635 273300 London Road, Benham Hill , Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS

Barry gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Booking a blood test at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Two weeks ago I tried to book a blood test. I phoned and left my details I still have not received a reply. My son now needs a blood test so with no faith in the telephone booking system I decided to have a go at the online booking. The message on the telephone system gives incorrect information. I tried to phone to complain to services manager but both the landline and mobile were on answerphone. I have left messages. I eventually got onto the online booking to find that the next available appointment I can attend will be 2 weeks away. In my opinion the new blood test booking procedure is a complete failure and the turn up and wait system was far better. The longest I usually had to wait was 30 minutes. I look forward to hearing why after such a long time the new system is not working properly and why the phone message gives the wrong online booking details and finally why there is simply not a link to follow on the website.

Barry

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Flook gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Good service

Called Phlebotomy this morning and got a return of call very quickly. Offered an appointment same day. Very good.

Tried to book on-line, but no obvious link from the hospital web site. Web address obtained from clinic, but a good link would save time.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Blood test booking system

As with previous comments, I found it impossible to get through by phone to book a blood test yesterday. I went in and made the appointment in person. Please improve the booking system.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 01 February 2016

Thank you for your review on NHS Choices
I'm sorry to hear you've had an unsatisfactory experience when trying to book a blood test at West Berkshire Community Hospital, but I hope you had a good experience once you attended for your blood test.

Unfortunately, since we introduced the booking system, we have struggled to manage the volume of calls to book appointments. We have introduced a number of measures to help the situation but it remains a concern to us. We had envisaged that more people would book their blood test using the online booking facility, but this has not been the case. We have now received approval for an automated telephone appointment system, which will have more lines available and it will allow patients to book their appointment with a single phone call 24 hours a day. However, patients will still be able to speak to a Receptionist to book their blood test if they wish, during normal opening hours. This automated system is used by a number of GP Surgeries around the country, and is proving very successful. Obviously, these things take time to install and implement, but our aim is to have this installed in the next couple of months.

I am sorry you have had problems trying to register/book an appointment. The ability to book a blood test appointment is the biggest issue we've had regarding the new system, and we are well on the way to sorting it out, but unfortunately these things take time. However, on a positive note, once the patient has booked their appointment, the system has greatly improved. We have cut out the significantly long waiting times by having an appointment system in place and this is beneficial to both patients' and staff.
Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss this further. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation. Contact details can be found on our website. www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk
Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Alan Brown gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hunt the Phlebotomy Link

I was looking to book a blood test but I had to hunt for it :-(. . I note that other comments say the phone-line was/is swamped. This is little surprise if the link is not obvious on the hospital public web-pages.

I did find it eventually after searching for it.

Alan Brown

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 31 January 2016

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day unit

Excellent care from all members of staff who went out of their way to look after me.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 06 January 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

John Keayes gave End of life care services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care for my 94 year old Dad in December 2015

My father was taken into Highclere Ward for what turned out to be the last 3 weeks of his life. My family & I were very grateful to all the ward staff for what I can only describe as delightful & dignified care as Dad faded away.
We are very grateful that your care made our memories of Dad's last week's so positive & we would like to pass on our very sincere thanks to everyone concerned

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 10 January 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Dear Mr Keayes,
Thank you for your posting and your kind comments. Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father.We are pleased to see that staff were able to provide a dignified end to your father's life. I will share your feedback with staff. I'm sure that they will appreciate this.
Yours Sincerely,
Tel: 0118 9605027 e mail: trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Caroline Holbrook reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

Blood test booking system

I do not know how to defeat this system. The telephone is either busy or on answer phone. If I leave a message giving a possible time for a test it is ignored. If I am out the message just says the department has rung. I tried for about 2 weeks before Christmas without success and the same thing has happened since

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 13 January 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

patrickcogswell reviewed Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital

telephone and ON Line Access for blood tests

Booking blood tests very difficult- phone perpetually engaged or "mail box full". On line seemingly impossible. Would welcome a return to the older turn up and wait system- less time consuming and frustrating.
Excellent phlebotomy service though. Well organised, careful and caring

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 16 November 2015

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Dear Mr Cogswell,
Thank you for your posting. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding. I have contacted the Phlebotomy Service Manager. Please see her response below;
"Dear Mr Cogswell

Thank you for your review on NHS Choices. I am sorry it has taken a while to respond but I only received the notification of your concern on 24th December 2015. I'm sorry to hear you've had an unsatisfactory experience when trying to book a blood test at West Berkshire Community Hospital, but I am glad you had a good experience once you attended for your blood test.

Unfortunately, since we introduced the booking system, we have struggled to manage the volume of calls to book appointments. We have introduced a number of measures to help the situation but it remains a concern to us. We had envisaged that more people would book their blood test using the online booking facility, but this has not been the case, and would like to understand what problems you have encountered while trying to book online so that we can rectify this.

I am sorry you have had problems trying to register/book online. If you would like help with this please don't hesitate to contact me, and I will try and help you register and book. My direct phone line is written below. We are very keen to make the online booking as smooth as possible for our patients.

The ability to book a blood test appointment is the biggest issue we've had regarding the new system, and we are well on the way to sorting it out, but unfortunately these things take time. However, on a positive note, once the patient has booked their appointment, the system has greatly improved. We have cut out the significantly long waiting times by having an appointment system in place and this is beneficial to both patients' and staff."

I hope that this clarifies matters. Thank you for raising this with us. If you wish to discuss this further, please do ot hesitate to contact me. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details are on our website. www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Tel 01189605027 e mail trevor.lyalle@berkshire.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Booking blood test Problems

just received letter for MRI at RBH in 8 days time but asked to get blood test done before hand. West Berks hospital easier to get to for blood test so left message for call back on recorded message but also given email address but complicated and impossible to write down in time given. So looked on your hospital web site as I assumed it would be there? I could find nothing on this web site.
I would suggest web site needs urgent updating with a heading for 'blood tests' then give all details, phone contact direct line, email address. etc.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 01 February 2016

West Berkshire Community Hospital replied on 01 February 2016

Hello,
Thank you for your posting. We are sorry that you have experienced problems when making an appointment. I have contacted our Web Editor in order to address the updating of the phlebotomy link. If you would like to discuss any other aspect of our services, please feel free to contact me. Alternatively, you could contact your local Healthwatch organisation for assistance. Contact details are on our website. www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk

Rosemary gave at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Minor injuries unit

Exception service. Friendly and helpful receptionist. Nurse was professional, caring towards my very elderly mother. We were in and out, including an x Ray inside an hour!

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 16 September 2015