West Berkshire Community Hospital

Telephone: 01635 273300
Address: London Road,, Benham Hill, Thatcham, Berkshire, RG18 3AS
Website: Website address not added

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Change to blood tests.

Found out today that from 11th Dec. You must ring up and make an appointment to get a blood test. Nothing on website about this important change. I bet that phone line will be red hot. Can see great problems getting through.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 15 December 2014

West Berkshire Community Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Phlebotomy services at West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Phlebotomy opening (closing) hours

Having checked on line for opening hours at West Berks Hospital, to see that Phlebotomy times seem to relate only to Royal Berks Hospital where it says 9am to 4pm - as a precaution I telephoned West Berks for opening hours and was told 9 - 3:30 Monday to Friday. I am unable to find this anywhere on the web site!

Accordingly I turn up on Friday at 14 50 hrs and, having paid for parking, I was informed by a waiting member of public that the Department had closed!

On checking at hospital reception (after listening to the attendant inform a telephone caller of the phlebotomy hours of Monday to Friday 9 to 3:30pm!) I asked why it was closed at 2:50pm, to be advised that 2 members of staff were off sick and the department was busy. I asked if i could obtain a refund of my car parking fees and was told this was not possible.

I then said I wished to make a formal complaint and was asked to leave my name and address and that the Matron would deal with it when she comes in.

This is clearly extremely poor management and totally inconsiderate of those that have to use this facility. People arriving within the stated hours should at least be given the option of being dealt with, albeit with an extended delay - they should be advised of the potential delay and then be able to reach their own decision as to whether to wait or not. It is simply arrogant and uncaring to turn people away regardless of what effort they have had to make to get there!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 28 November 2014

Anonymous gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

minor injury

I felt the need to say what a wonderful experience we had at the hospital's minor injury clinic from the reception staff to the doctors. The staff were friendly and helpful, quick and efficient and the surroundings were spotless. Hard to believe this is NHS and is an example to all.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 21 October 2014

Jennie gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very Efficient and No Waiting (like for A & E!).

I visited the Minor Injuries Unit this morning with a badly twisted ankle, and what I thought might be a broken foot. When I went in there was nobody waiting (!) and I was seen within a few minutes. The Nurse Practitioner examined my foot and after a thorough examination concluded that I had no breaks but a sprained ankle. (However there are X-Ray and plaster cast facilities if required, and also stitching for bad cuts). It was bliss to be treated so quickly and efficiently, and in a hospital with such an air of calm. (Such a change from my local A & E where I probably would have had to wait a good 2 - 4 hours).

I'll definitely come here next time (I'm quite accident prone)!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

Johannes von Stumm gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

good care

On the 18th of October just before 22.00 I visited the West Berkshire Hospital in Newbury with an elderly patient.
The nurses at the reception and throughout our two hour stay were very friendly and extremely helpful.
The doctor and her team tried everything to help as much as they could before she referred us to the A&E department at Reading Hospital.
I was impressed by the cleanliness, the friendliness and the care we were looked after.
Thank you very much.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 19 October 2014

sharon gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

outstanding care

From the first time I stepped into the hospital for my appointment with the the podiatrist I was so impressed. From the receptionist to the nurses who are so friendly and welcoming, the ease of parking, finding a seat to getting a cup of tea is all so easy.
The hospital it self is so clean, well set out, one doesn't feel they are sat in a hospital waiting room, I loved the open plan.
The day bed ward was just as I expected probably more, as one could think your in a private hospital, the nursing staff made you fill at ease, the ward was spotless they had all the time you needed.
When it came to the operation the team were amazing, made me feel so calm, show such compassion, making sure at all times you feel fine and relaxed and not in pain.
I take my hat off to such an amazing team.
I wish they could show other hospitals how to do it, Number 1 hospital I would recommend anyone who has a choice of hospital on the NHS to go to Thatcham.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 27 October 2014

Egometto gave West Berkshire Community Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An excellent hospital

I have attended this hospital as an outpatient on many occasions, and have always been impressed by the quality of care offered. The staff are invariably friendly and helpful; punctuality of appointments is usually pretty good, though sometimes they unavoidably get behind—but I don't mind that, if it means that, when my turn comes, they will give me all the time I need; and in practice this is always the case. On the few occasions when I have had to attend the Minor Injuries Unit, all the same things have applied. I cannot speak too highly of this hospital.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 30 October 2014