Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham

0121 371 2000 Mindelsohn Way, Edgbaston , Birmingham, B15 2WB

479 total | 25 found in General Surgery Show all reviews

Patrick gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

East block day surgery

Absolutely fantastic staff from the lead surgeon to the porter everyone involved in my stay made me feel very at ease. Although the operation couldn't go as first planned they found an alternative method and got in done. Talked me through every single step and made me so comfortable I didn't have time to worry massive thanks to the surgeon and the rest of the surgery team for a fantastic job

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham has not yet replied.

SL gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care

Had surgery at the East Block Day Unit recently and have to say I was wonderfully impressed by all of the staff there. The wards seem to be run by lightning efficiency by the nursing staff, they were all utterly outstanding and whilst I'd prepared for a long day of waiting I was out by lunchtime.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 December 2016

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 29 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to feed back about your experience on East Block Day Unit under the care of the General Surgery team at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted to hear that your experience was so positive, your kind words have been forwarded to the senior staff responsible for the unit so they can share them with their team members. Feedback like this is greatly valued as staff love to hear they have made such a positive difference.
If you would like to provide any further feedback about your experience please visit the hospital webpage www.uhb.nhs.uk/yourviews

Marie gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 1 stars

Self discharge due to lack of care ward 302

I self discharged last night from ward 302 due to conflicting stories i.e. my bloods are clear then I'm told my white bloods cells are up and slso high inflammation markers. How can this be from the same set of bloods. My husband complained due to my own medication not being given for my chronic pain conditions. With this the acute pain team came down to see me and said I was to have morphine 20 mgl every 2-4 hours I was lucky to get it every 4 hours I asked for pajn relief at 2pm and was kept waiting till 6 Pm . The communication was very poor, my husband asked to speak to a doctor aabut my care plan but the doctorr never came. I was told that I would not have a CT scan as I had one in August so I was a sit and watch what happens patient when I signed for the self discharge the nurse said you are down for a scan tomorrow. When I asked why I was not told about this I never got an answer. I left the hospital in severe pain and in tears not one nurse came and asked if i was ok.i will not return as this ward is lacking in care, compassion communication and organisation. This ward used to be lovely and could do no wrong in my eyes but after this I am very disappointed and I have lost complete faith. Perhaps the nursing staff should go for more training and realise that yes you used to be an amazing hospital but being at the top they have got complacent and have let standards drop drastically which now compromises patients care.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 03 November 2016

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 04 November 2016

Dear Marie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience whilst being treated on Ward 302 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the care you have received, we are keen to have the opportunity to discuss your concerns further so that we can try to resolve them. If you would like to speak to a senior member of the team responsible for Ward 302 please make contact with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who are happy to assist you with this.

PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 4400, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Akeel khan gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 1 stars

Surgery

Really disorganised. Been in hospital for 2 days now. All i keep hearing is am going surgery but the wait doesnt finish. Absolutely shocking. Very dissatisfied with this hospital. Wish it wan more effeicient and didnt take this long. 6 dsys iv been in agony now. Was sent home last night an told ill hav surgery at 8 in morning so i have to be here at 7. But stil waiting. What a joke this hospital is its shocking to be treated this way

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 October 2016

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 12 October 2016

Dear Akeel Khan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your care and treatment at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very sorry that your surgery was delayed resulting in additional pain and discomfort. As a Major Trauma Centre we do sometimes have patients with life threatening injuries who require immediate surgery. This can then cause delays for other patients awaiting surgery. We appreciate the impact this may have so are looking at ways we can improve the service we provide to all our patients.

If you would like to discuss your concerns with relevant senior staff please make contact via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS are here to help and can be contacted by phone 0121 371 4400, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 1 stars

Worst hospital service

Very rude staff, they have no respect for patients in ward 3 general surgery so disappointing. This is meant to be a hospital where they take care of people not make them feel disgusted and dissatisfied I am very appalled by the behaviour of staff members been here for 2 days with out eating and they expect me to starve while I'm at the bottom of the list !!!

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 08 October 2016

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 12 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your care and treatment under the General Surgery Team at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very disappointed to hear about the concerns you have regarding your care so far as this is not the experience we strive to provide for our patients. If you are still an inpatient on the ward please ask to speak to the Senior Sister or Matron as soon as possible. They will be keen to listen to your concerns and take action to put things right where necessary. Alternatively you may wish to speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). PALS are here to help and can be contacted by phone 0121 371 4400, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Jennie Roberts gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

I had 1 day surgery in ambulatory care

I had a 1 day surgery booked to put a pin into my thumb as it was fractured. The staff was absolutely fantastic and extremely caring. I was treated with respect and dignity all the time I was in. The process went quick and I was made to feel comfortable. On the day I was very nervous but the doctors ect eased my worry and told me to try to relax. I would recommed this day clinic to anybody.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 February 2016

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 30 March 2016

Dear Jennie,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to you as your comments were only received by us yesterday. We are delighted to hear that you have had such a positive experience, were treated with dignity and respect at all times and found the staff to be extremely caring. We are also pleased to hear that the staff tried to help you relax during what must have been an anxious time for you.

Your kind words have been forwarded to relevant senior staff who will share them with their team members. Feedback like this is greatly appreciated.

akif razzaq gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 1 stars

gastrointestinal crohns disease

A botched balloon dilation left me with a severe large colon infection which the medical team could not get under control. All they did was admit me 3 times and gave me unhelpful antibiotics. the last examination under anesthesia caused a violent anal fissure and ive developed an absess which i told my consultants about several times but they said nothing was there. Im now in a and e waiting to be seen with an absess the size of a tennis ball.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 26 December 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 02 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about General Surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very sorry that you had a poor experience whilst recently undergoing a procedure under the care of our General Surgical team. We note that you have since been admitted to our hospital and subsequently discharged home. We hope you are recovering well and starting to feel better.
The management team responsible for the area that treated you are very keen to talk to you directly about your experience and the concerns that you have. If this would be helpful please make contact via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team who will be pleased to put you in touch with the relevant staff members.

PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 4.30pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Stephen Parker gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Well run hospital with efficient and caring staff

Very well run hospital with clear processes in place for caring for patients and ensuring cleanliness with excellent and well organized staff

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 10 November 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 21 November 2014

Dear Stephen,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you have had such a positive experience during your stay. We hope you are continuing to recover well. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for the areas that cared for you; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference to patients and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we don’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
- Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
- Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.
For further information on these and other ways you can give us your feedback please contact patientexperience@uhb.nhs.uk or telephone us on 0121 371 4491/2

James (Tony) Mombrun gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Getting through major surgery with help of the Teams

On entering the ward pre surgery you were made to feel at ease and every person whom you met introduced themselves and explained why they were there.
The surgeons involved took time to explain exactly what was going to happen and made you feel at ease right up to the entry to theatre.
Post operative care in ITU was second to none and both doctors and nurses helped during the recovery process.
Back on the ward post op the nursing staff were second to none and didd all in their power to make you comfortable and aided recovery.
Wards vistits by the Team (of surgeons) were most welcome and acceptance by them as a member of their team was most unexpected.
My stay after major surgery was far shorter than expected by myself due to attention paid by the Doctors and Nursing staff to my care.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 11 November 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 21 November 2014

Dear James (Tony),
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you have had such a positive experience during your stay on the Critical Care Unit, and the wards that cared for you before and after your surgery. We hope you are continuing to recover well. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for these areas; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;

barrygreen gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 2 stars

halted operations

i was prepared for operation twice during a short stay for gall bladder removal at the last moment the operations were stopped the last time i was waiting by my bed for the anesthetist to be told once again the op was cancelled

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are concerned to hear that your operation has been cancelled twice at short notice; we understand how frustrating this must be for you and are very sorry this has happened.

The Group Manager responsible for the service has already contacted you by telephone this morning to discuss the situation and we understand that he has made arrangements to contact you next week with a new date for your surgery. We hope this results in you undergoing your surgery soon.

If you have any further concerns in the meantime please make contact via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team who will be pleased to assist you.