Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham

Telephone: 0121 627 2000
Address: Mindelsohn Way, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2WB
Website: http://www.uhb.nhs.uk

154 total | 16 found in General Surgery Show all reviews

barrygreen gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 2 stars

halted operations

i was prepared for operation twice during a short stay for gall bladder removal at the last moment the operations were stopped the last time i was waiting by my bed for the anesthetist to be told once again the op was cancelled

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are concerned to hear that your operation has been cancelled twice at short notice; we understand how frustrating this must be for you and are very sorry this has happened.

The Group Manager responsible for the service has already contacted you by telephone this morning to discuss the situation and we understand that he has made arrangements to contact you next week with a new date for your surgery. We hope this results in you undergoing your surgery soon.

If you have any further concerns in the meantime please make contact via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team who will be pleased to assist you.

PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 4.30pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 2 stars

Operation cancelled last minute

I went in to the QE last week for a scheduled/planned operation which I had waited for since receiving results inFebruary. After waiting for close to 3 hrs in the admissions ward for my operation and having had all the preliminary post operative assessments and procedures, I was finally told that my operation was to be cancelled and given no further date or explanation as to what happens next.
At this point in time, I still do not have any idea when my operation will be reschedule to, and consider that had I not been proactive and phoned up myself this week to make enquiries would have not received any update-as it stands I still remain without a date for my opertation which causes me some anxiety.
I found the covering secretary(for my consulatnt) to of been unhelpful and abrupt, which adds to the cummulative affect i.e upset/dissatisfied.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 20 June 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 01 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about General Surgery at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very concerned to hear that your experience has been so poor and we are sorry for the way this has made you feel. This is certainly not the standard of service or type of experience we aim to provide. The senior staff responsible for General Surgery are very keen to investigate what has gone wrong and take action to improve the service they provide. In order to do this they would be very grateful if you would provide contact details so they can speak to you directly.

If you would like them to do this please make contact via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team who will be pleased to put you in touch with the relevant staff members.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 4 stars

East Block Day Care

I was just in for a minor operation but the care and consideration given by the staff was first class.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 25 January 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 26 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you had such a positive experience during your recent visit to our East Block Day Unit.
Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for this service; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients and their relatives. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference to patients and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we don’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
? Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
? Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
? Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.
For further information on these and other ways you can give us your feedback please contact patientexperience@uhb.nhs.uk or telephone us on 0121 371 4491/2

Jo Jukes gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 4 stars

Ward 27 Pre Op and Post Op Care

I was unfortunate enough to be ill recently, something I found quite hard to deal with as I am somewhat of a Doctor phobic and I have never been in Hospital, other than to have children!
I was referred to Hospital by my G.P and was admitted into Ward 27. I was quite ill at first but they stabilised me and I was operated on for a Gastro-Colonic Fistula on the 26th October.
While I was in Ward 27, all of the Staff treated me very well, with respect and in a friendly and caring manner. The night time staff were especially attentive and made my stay in Hospital bearable! I cannot fault any of the staff in their care and the way in which they deal with patients, even when they are short staffed and stressed.
Unfortunately, I was discharged a week ago with an infection in my scar and since this-my scar has opened up. However, I am under the care of the District Nurse and I get it packed, dressed and cleaned every day.
Recovery is a long way ahead but it just goes to prove you should never take your health for granted!

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 12 November 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 26 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you had such a positive experience during the time you were in hospital, although we were very sorry to hear that you had a wound infection when you went home. We trust this has since been successfully treated and you have continued to recover well. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for the ward that treated you; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

ambulatory care unit

I have just had a operation in the Ambulatory care unit .I would like to thank all the staff there for being so caring for me during my short stay. They were very helpful at all times. Also the operation theatre staff were very kind. as I was awake during the op they talked to me to keep me relaxed. They explained what was going on during the operation .
Thank you all .

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 02 July 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 08 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you had such a positive experience on the Ambulatory Care Unit and in our Operating Theatres.
Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for the areas you visited; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we didn’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
???Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
???Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
???Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.

ian jones gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to all the staff at the QE i went in for a minor opration and i was in over night which had been planed. started in the Edbaston ward all the staff were very good and if i could make a sergestion is that thearters keep then informed then on to thearters,and then onto recovery finshing on 728 ward i would give 9 out of 10 to all the staff and one i would like to give 10 out of 10 to a sister, she not only worked very hard but imformation that enyboby wanted she would go out of her way to get for her patients plessed
pass on a big thank you to all.

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 03 May 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 07 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you had such a positive experience.
Your comment relating to communication between theatres and the ward has been noted; feedback like this is really helpful as it helps us to focus on the parts of the patient journey that need to be improved.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we didn’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
> Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
> Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
> Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.

sidney j williams gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

treatment

many thanks for treatment

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 08 April 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 16 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you have had such a positive experience.

Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for the area you visited; they will ensure they are shared with their teams.

If you would like further information on services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham or would like to discuss any thing in more detail please contact PALS by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 4.30pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Thank you once again for your kind comments.

poorlytreatedpatient gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 3 stars

Hospital Feedback.

Recently went in for a small routine operation. Appointment was at 11.30am was not seen until 4.30pm. Ward nurses are pathetic. They got defensive and rude, when I asked what was the reason for the delay, they do not communicate to you.

When I got into surgery, they apologised profusely for the delay & stated it was the staff nurses who delayed the surgey. They (the surgery) had been waiting for me since 12.30pm, but the nurses delayed sending me down.

When I question this with the nurses, they came out with all sorts of pathetic excuses. Poor communication, poor service and incompetent nurses in the day unit. The counter staff are equally ignorant.

On the plus side, the hospital is nice.

Visited in February 2013. Posted on 08 May 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 10 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience whilst being cared for in our hospital. This is not the sort of experience we would want anyone to have whilst under our care. We take poor staff attitude very seriously and have robust mechanisms in place to address areas of poor practice. We are therefore very grateful to you for bringing this to our attention. The Matron for the area you stayed in is very keen to talk to you so that she can understand more about what has happened and deal with it appropriately.

If you would like to discuss this with the Matron please make contact via our Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS)
You can contact PALS by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk , via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 4.30pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Thank you again for taking the trouble to post your comments on the NHS Choices website.

Nuala Wedge (Mrs) gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Ambulatory Care (small lump removed)

I visited the QE Hospital on Thursday 10th January 2013.

From the moment I stepped into this lovely hospital I was made to feel welcome.

Receptionist, porters, nurses, theatre staff & doctors were all fabulous.

I was made to feel relaxed & happy, nothing was too much trouble.

The sort of treatment you would get from a five star hotel.

Thank you to everyone who made my time there so comfortable.

Kind Regards, Nuala Wedge (Mrs)

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 14 January 2013

Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham replied on 31 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are very pleased that you have had such a positive experience during your visit to Ambulatory Care.

It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference to patients and made sure your experience under our care has been positive. Your feedback has been passed on to the senior managers of the area that you visited; they will ensure it is shared with their teams.

If you would like further information on services at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham or would like to discuss any thing in more detail please contact PALS by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 10-4pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located to the left of the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Thank you once again for your kind comments.

Mark Duthoit gave General Surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham a rating of 5 stars

Superb

I had a day surgery procedure at the QE on 30 January - a lumber infusion study - under the care of a Neurosurgeon. I was in the ambulatory day ward.

Everything about my stay was superb..

The nursing staff in the ambulatory day ward were super friendly, caring and professional. They cared for me so well. They should be highly commended and praised for their great work.

The ward was clean and comfortable, the theatre staff were great...everything was so well organised. Beginning to end, I felt at ease and comfortable.

It's never nice going into hospital but if it is possible for a hospital stay to be a pleasure, then my short stay certainly was a pleasure.

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 02 February 2013