Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Telephone: 0121 627 2000
Address: Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2TH
Website: http://www.uhb.nhs.uk

Dissapointed user reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Poor nursing care throughout a 3. 5 week stay at QE Birmingham. I feel the...

Poor nursing care throughout a 3. 5 week stay at QE Birmingham.
I feel the nurses I saw on ward 728 have no ability to work on their own initiative and required the doctors to spoon feed them every single step of the way.
Surely a fully qualified nurse would recognise the symptoms of a urine infection in a patient whom has recently had their catheter removed. Clearly too much to ask in ward 728. I had to literally beg them to check a urine sample for an infection!
A whole day of asking and 24 hours later antibiotics commenced for a urine infection. Just one example of a long list of poor experiences on this admission.
Such a disappointment. Lack of compassion.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 09 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Patient Relations & Experience Manager, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Ward 728 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.
We are really disappointed to hear that you have had such a poor experience in relation to the nursing care on this ward. This is not the experience we aim to provide for the patients and relatives we care for.
The Matron who is responsible for this ward is very keen to make direct contact with you so that she can discuss your concerns in more detail. If you would like to do this please make contact directly via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be happy to make contact with the Matron on your behalf.
PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Scary reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

A and E care

Having cause to take my 92 year old mother to A+E twice in the last month with 2 separate fractures, I can only say how impressed I was with the whole department. Both the doctors and nurses treated her with the utmost respect and dignity throughout. The doctors quickly identified and dealt with her injuries. Thank you.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 19 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Queen Elizabeth Hospital has not yet replied.

Deb hambleton gave Cancer Services at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My stay on 408

I would just like to thank all the staff on ward 408 at QE Birmingham for making my stay there better than I ever imagined ,I was very nervous about my stay as I had never really stayed for that amount of time in hospital in my life but after being on 408 I can honestly say they were all brilliant sisters. Nurses and all the trainees couldn't have done more for me nothing was to much trouble and I was given 100% care ,I can't name all the people on the ward there to thank as there were a lot but remember there was one member of staff who was very kind.,friendly and easy to talk to , another who was great fun , a nurse who told us such funny driving stories and kept us laughing for ages when we were feeling down. I'd like to say a very big thank you to everyone who made my stay you are all doing a great job and hope you continue to do so. Long live the NHS Deb hambleton . Overall. Clean. Friendly. Excellent service. Respect. Helpful. easy to talk to , bedside manor very good ,

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 24 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience on Ward 408 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the services that treated you. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we don’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient or Emergency Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.
- Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
- Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.
For further information on these and other ways you can give us your feedback please contact patientexperience@uhb.nhs.uk or telephone us on 0121 371 4491/2

Maria gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

I went to A&E with my 6 year old daughter this evening. She has a broken arm. All staff, including receptionists, nurses, doctors and nurse who put the cast on her were outstanding. They engaged with her and made her feel confortable and safe and dealt with her arm promptly and professionally. We were in and out in 1 hour and 10 minutes. We are very lucky to have such a fantastic hospital! Thank you very much to all staff!... Keep up the good work! You are an amazing team who give an amazing service!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 25 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you and your daughter had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the service that treated her. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your daughter’s experience under our care has been positive.

Anonymous gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 1 stars

very poor communication

I went to A&E on Friday night, 29/05/2015, with bladder pain and Back pain. The A&E service and communication were second to none. Then they transferred me to urology ward (624). I have waited 2 days to do CT scan to find out what is wrong with me, after 2 day they find out in scan I have got (Bowl inflammation) and wait for another 2 day for specialist to come for examination! After all these time the doctor came and visit me for 2 minute and told me you can go home, you have got (Bowl Inflammation), we will put you on antibiotic and painkiller (codeine) then we will send you hospital appointment letter to come back for camera treatment.Now my antibiotics finished and I have got lots of pain in my bladder, Back, and my hips (which is moving) and I haven't heard anything from hospital and I know because of lack of communication in ward (624), the nurses trying to be very friendly, but there is lack of training! they don't communicate with patient after doctor decision unless you ask them more then 10 time! to be honest (624) need to be visit as a patient then you will find out what a joke going around!
I am still suffering with pain and looks like I have to wait God knows how long to get letter from them.
I think hospital is massive but management and training is a joke.
I suggest send all the nurses to city hospital to be retrained because hospital it self its not look like massive and brand new, But the service when you are there as a patient is second to non.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 12 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 22 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very pleased that some aspects of your experience were so positive. However, we are sorry that not everything met the standard you were expecting as we aim to provide a very high standard of care. We would like to discuss your concerns further so that we can try to find out what went wrong, and how we can improve for future patients.
If you would like the opportunity to do this, please make contact via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be pleased to put you in touch with the relevant senior staff.

emma gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

cleft patient

my consultants are both polite and friendly and make you feel at ease and do everything they can to reassure you one is a top consultant and surgeon and I am glad my treatment is at QE and under them. Been a inpatient in there twice now in the last year and always treated with respect and looked after well. Brilliant hospital in fact the best.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 06 May 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 08 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for this service. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.

MLH 511 gave Orthopaedics at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Unplaned hip replacement

From the moment I arrived in A and E till the moment i Ieft 5 days later I could have not have expected any better treatment .From cleaners and helpers to the top consultant
I could not have been treated any better .The kindness ,gentleness and knowledge,of the staff was amazing .I dont think many people realise how hard the staff work for the benefit of the patients.I had a really good experience and thank the staff of ward 410 wholeheartedly .

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 13 May 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 05 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the services that treated you. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.

joy2bwriting reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

The faulty and therefore stressful radiotherapy machine

I have had breast cancer, which has been treated by a mastectomy, followed first by chemotherapy, then herceptin injections (that continue) and, at present, by radiotherapy. I have been consistently impressed with the expertise of nurses, doctors and all other practitioners.

This has been the case with the radiotherapy treatment; the radiologists have been very supportive, kind, friendly and helpful. But what has been distressing to me is that the radiotherapy machine has broken down twice in the first 8 days of radiotherapy, which I have found very distressing. I want to get this treatment done and over with; I find it very tiring and I want to return to the full energy I had two months after finishing chemotherapy, which I know will return. But I have become very depressed as a consequence of the machine breaking down twice so far.

I have no confidence that it won't break down again and now all I want is to finish the treatment. The radiographers have kindly offered to have myself and other patients receive an additional treatment tomorrow, Saturday, so that we can catch up a bit. But why is this machine not being replaced when it should be? When will the machine be replaced?

I am thinking not just about myself, but about all those in future who want to return to health and find that the machine keeps breaking down and dragging out this process.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 29 May 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Queen Elizabeth Hospital has not yet replied.

toothless reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Had two very bady infected molars removed today, I'd just like to say thankyou..

Had two very bady infected molars removed today, I'd just like to say thankyou to the MaxilloFacial Department (the dentist esp and the unnamed nurses) for being very nice, very professional, It only takes 1 person to spoil everything, even the little smiles go a very very long way. the lady at reception was great as well, I kid you not I rarely give feeback: )

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Patient Relations & Experience Manager, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. This is exactly the type of experience we aim to deliver. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for this service; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients and their relatives. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference to patients and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment after scan results

Following a scans in October and November for another medical problem it was discovered that I had two small adenomas on my left adrenal gland so I was asked to attend the Nurse-Led Adrenal clinic which I did on 14th April. The Adenomas show benign characteristics. I was seen by a member of staff who explained everything in great detail and was very reassuring, and brought me up to speed on the investigating that was to be done and explained everything in everyday language without talking down to me. My appointment was at 11.00am and I was seen at 11.00am, had blood taken, left urine sample, received detailed instructions for next visit and picked up tablet from pharmacy and was in Harbourne having lunch before 1.00. Having said all that nothing was rushed just well organised. I elected to attend this hospital even though I live in Nottinghamshire but at the moment it seems that its worth the 2hr train journey.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 05 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience of the Nurse Led Clinic run by the Endocrinology Team at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for this service. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.