Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Telephone: 0121 627 2000
Address: Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2TH
Website: http://www.uhb.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I've been two the A&E department at the Queen Elizabeth on two separate occasions this year, once during the day the other late at night/early hours of the morning. Despite having to queue which is expected when attended a drop in department, I was impressed by the professionalism, enthusiasm and care provided from all the staff I encountered, everyone from the nurses, to the cleaning team. I feel lucky to live so close to such a good resource. Well done to the A&E team.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 10 July 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 13 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experiences at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience both times you have needed to attend. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the services that treated you. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we don’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient or Emergency Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.
- Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
- Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.
For further information on these and other ways you can give us your feedback please contact patientexperience@uhb.nhs.uk or telephone us on 0121 371 4491/2

Anonymous reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Queen Elizabeth Hospital - Ward 302 - Patient Care

After a good experience in the A and E section with some prompt professional diagnosis.

The experience was left rather sour after some really poor impolite nurses with bad bedside manners. One nurse on night duty was good but the other nurses banging around in the night being heavy handed banging things down was not appreciated as already missed one weeks sleep.

Not offered meals when I was hungry, had to chase them for food. When I asked for dressing to be changed the nurse was heavy handed and did not deal with the required politeness or patient care expected perhaps making my problem worse, Now I have to go to the doctors to get this checked out in case it is made worse. Nurses are meant to listen when I have problems not avoid them and tell lies like there are no doctors available.

One of the staff broke the blood pressure monitor on my arm which hurt also because they forgot to put the monitor in the finger. Most of the problems were made by the staff who had bad attitudes and false face. As I said before one made my wound worse and now I have to get this checked out again at the doctors for security and piece of mind.

The patient needs to come first...

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 20 July 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 21 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very pleased that your experience in our Emergency Department was so positive; your comments have been shared with staff in the department. However, we are very sorry that during your time on the ward not everything met the standard you were expecting. This is disappointing as we aim to provide a very high standard of care.
The Senior Sister responsible for the ward that cared for you is very keen to have the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your concerns further. If you would like the opportunity to do this, please make contact via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be pleased to put you in touch.
PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Grant poole gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ward 302 were great

I had to stay on ward 302 (SAU) after a sharp spell of tonsillitis. I ended up on 302 because ENT had no room. I'm absolutely scared stiff of anything to do with hospitals but every nurse that dealt with me could not have been an ounce nicer, every single nurse is a credit to the hospital and I never thought to thank them before I was discharged so here's my thank you. Maybe one of you will read it.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 28 July 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 29 July 2015

Dear Grant,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience on Ward 302 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for this ward. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients and their relatives. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.

tattyhead349 reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

At the end of July, I had to visit the imaging department, for a injection...

At the end of July, I had to visit the imaging department, for a injection under us scan
Dr Bashir talked me through the procedure, I never felt a thing, unlike my last 5 injections.
Thank you Dr. Bashir and team.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 31 July 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Queen Elizabeth Hospital has not yet replied.

Dissapointed user reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Poor nursing care throughout a 3. 5 week stay at QE Birmingham. I feel the...

Poor nursing care throughout a 3. 5 week stay at QE Birmingham.
I feel the nurses I saw on ward 728 have no ability to work on their own initiative and required the doctors to spoon feed them every single step of the way.
Surely a fully qualified nurse would recognise the symptoms of a urine infection in a patient whom has recently had their catheter removed. Clearly too much to ask in ward 728. I had to literally beg them to check a urine sample for an infection!
A whole day of asking and 24 hours later antibiotics commenced for a urine infection. Just one example of a long list of poor experiences on this admission.
Such a disappointment. Lack of compassion.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 09 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Patient Relations & Experience Manager, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about Ward 728 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.
We are really disappointed to hear that you have had such a poor experience in relation to the nursing care on this ward. This is not the experience we aim to provide for the patients and relatives we care for.
The Matron who is responsible for this ward is very keen to make direct contact with you so that she can discuss your concerns in more detail. If you would like to do this please make contact directly via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be happy to make contact with the Matron on your behalf.
PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Scary reviewed Queen Elizabeth Hospital

A and E care

Having cause to take my 92 year old mother to A+E twice in the last month with 2 separate fractures, I can only say how impressed I was with the whole department. Both the doctors and nurses treated her with the utmost respect and dignity throughout. The doctors quickly identified and dealt with her injuries. Thank you.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 19 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Patient Relations & Experience Manager, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your mother’s experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that she had such a positive experience. This is exactly the type of experience we aim to deliver. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for these services; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients and their relatives. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made your mothers’ experience under our care so positive.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.

Patient Opinion Logo

Deb hambleton gave Cancer Services at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My stay on 408

I would just like to thank all the staff on ward 408 at QE Birmingham for making my stay there better than I ever imagined ,I was very nervous about my stay as I had never really stayed for that amount of time in hospital in my life but after being on 408 I can honestly say they were all brilliant sisters. Nurses and all the trainees couldn't have done more for me nothing was to much trouble and I was given 100% care ,I can't name all the people on the ward there to thank as there were a lot but remember there was one member of staff who was very kind.,friendly and easy to talk to , another who was great fun , a nurse who told us such funny driving stories and kept us laughing for ages when we were feeling down. I'd like to say a very big thank you to everyone who made my stay you are all doing a great job and hope you continue to do so. Long live the NHS Deb hambleton . Overall. Clean. Friendly. Excellent service. Respect. Helpful. easy to talk to , bedside manor very good ,

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 24 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience on Ward 408 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the services that treated you. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.

Maria gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

I went to A&E with my 6 year old daughter this evening. She has a broken arm. All staff, including receptionists, nurses, doctors and nurse who put the cast on her were outstanding. They engaged with her and made her feel confortable and safe and dealt with her arm promptly and professionally. We were in and out in 1 hour and 10 minutes. We are very lucky to have such a fantastic hospital! Thank you very much to all staff!... Keep up the good work! You are an amazing team who give an amazing service!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 25 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 01 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you and your daughter had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the service that treated her. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your daughter’s experience under our care has been positive.

Anonymous gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 1 stars

very poor communication

I went to A&E on Friday night, 29/05/2015, with bladder pain and Back pain. The A&E service and communication were second to none. Then they transferred me to urology ward (624). I have waited 2 days to do CT scan to find out what is wrong with me, after 2 day they find out in scan I have got (Bowl inflammation) and wait for another 2 day for specialist to come for examination! After all these time the doctor came and visit me for 2 minute and told me you can go home, you have got (Bowl Inflammation), we will put you on antibiotic and painkiller (codeine) then we will send you hospital appointment letter to come back for camera treatment.Now my antibiotics finished and I have got lots of pain in my bladder, Back, and my hips (which is moving) and I haven't heard anything from hospital and I know because of lack of communication in ward (624), the nurses trying to be very friendly, but there is lack of training! they don't communicate with patient after doctor decision unless you ask them more then 10 time! to be honest (624) need to be visit as a patient then you will find out what a joke going around!
I am still suffering with pain and looks like I have to wait God knows how long to get letter from them.
I think hospital is massive but management and training is a joke.
I suggest send all the nurses to city hospital to be retrained because hospital it self its not look like massive and brand new, But the service when you are there as a patient is second to non.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 12 June 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 22 June 2015

We are very pleased that some aspects of your experience were so positive. However, we are sorry that not everything met the standard you were expecting as we aim to provide a very high standard of care. We would like to discuss your concerns further so that we can try to find out what went wrong, and how we can improve for future patients.
If you would like the opportunity to do this, please make contact via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) who will be pleased to put you in touch with the relevant senior staff.

emma gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

cleft patient

my consultants are both polite and friendly and make you feel at ease and do everything they can to reassure you one is a top consultant and surgeon and I am glad my treatment is at QE and under them. Been a inpatient in there twice now in the last year and always treated with respect and looked after well. Brilliant hospital in fact the best.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 06 May 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 08 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for this service. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.