Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Telephone: 0121 627 2000
Address: Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre, Edgbaston, Birmingham, West Midlands, B15 2TH
Website: http://www.uhb.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment after scan results

Following a scans in October and November for another medical problem it was discovered that I had two small adenomas on my left adrenal gland so I was asked to attend the Nurse-Led Adrenal clinic which I did on 14th April. The Adenomas show benign characteristics. I was seen by a member of staff who explained everything in great detail and was very reassuring, and brought me up to speed on the investigating that was to be done and explained everything in everyday language without talking down to me. My appointment was at 11.00am and I was seen at 11.00am, had blood taken, left urine sample, received detailed instructions for next visit and picked up tablet from pharmacy and was in Harbourne having lunch before 1.00. Having said all that nothing was rushed just well organised. I elected to attend this hospital even though I live in Nottinghamshire but at the moment it seems that its worth the 2hr train journey.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

Dave Moore gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day care

Literally fom the moment I arrived in reception until leaving the unit I was treated extremely well by very professional and very friendly staff. Being a slightly anxious patient, the attitude and professionalism of all of the staff I came into contact with made my brief stay extremely comfortable and relaxed.

The above review relates to East Block Day Unit.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 17 April 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal cancer services at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 1 stars

this hospital is a joke!

Do not go to this hospital!

nothing but problems, no one calls you back, forgotten to be given medicine for the last 7 months! all i got was a sorry no one gave it to you! appointment cancelled then not being given one for another 3 months! nurses moaning about you in the background when your on the phone, the finally straw was when the person form Pals just put the phone down on me because I said I wanted to change hospitals and have had nothing but trouble, their reponse was 'Good luck bye' and just slammed the phone down! its laughable really!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 02 April 2015

Anonymous reviewed Cancer Services at Queen Elizabeth Hospital

Cancer of the pancreas

Given the nature of this cancer I am very upset that my partner has got to wait until the 22nd of June to have surgery.
3 months wait for this hopefully life saving operation can only cause distress to her plus allow the tumour to grow making success even harder.
Surely the situation needs addressing asap.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 21 March 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 27 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very sorry that your partner’s scheduled operation date is much later than expected. We understand that you may have already made contact with us via PALS and that we are already looking into your concerns. If this is not the case, please make contact at your earliest convenience so that we can do our best to help where possible.
PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Kbpatel gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Burns unit queen Elizabeth Birmingham

My dad was sent from George Eliot hospital due to burns. The QE2 was outstanding with patience care and warmth was so unbelievable the doctors nurses showed the care that You would get if you were a millionaire ,the after care and speech therapy was also so understanding .why can the rest of nhs can not adopt the services which qe2 hospital operates .i would thank the burns unit for all that did and wish you the best.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 17 April 2015

F. W. gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Car Parking

Today my sister and her husband drove my mother aged 90 from Sutton Coldfield to visit her sister at the hospital. They circled around with a huge queue of other cars for about 30 minutes in the hope of eventually getting a space in the overly expensive car park. Unfortunately, this proved impossible.

The lack of parking facilities is unacceptable to patients and visitors and inexplicable in the context of such an enormous hospital, where so many resources have been concentrated and where car parking needs could and should have been anticipated. What are the hospital's plans and time scale for addressing this regrettable situation?

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 15 January 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 17 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about the car parking provision at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We welcome all feedback and would like to assure you that all comments are taken seriously and acted upon as part of our ongoing commitment to improving patient experience.

We are very sorry that your relatives experienced difficulty parking whilst visiting your mother in our hospital. Your comments have been forwarded to the management team responsible for this area.

They have provided this response which we hope is helpful;

As a short term measure Q-Park have been instructed to reduce the UHB staff car park allocation in Car Park A2 in order to create additional visitor spaces. This has been implemented as a direct result of feedback from patients and visitors.
Longer term we are exploring the feasibility of ‘sharing’ a limited number of car park spaces so they work more efficiently e.g. peak staff demand is early morning until approximately 2.00pm when some spaces start to become available, conversely peak visitor demand is 2.30pm onwards when visiting times coincides with outpatient clinic activity. By ‘sharing’ staff spaces that become available early we should help to improve capacity for visitor parking at peak times. The Trust will always strive to give priority to visitor car parking spaces to ensure there is sufficient capacity to meet demand.

If you have any further concerns and would like to discuss them with the manager responsible for car parking, please make contact via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) team who will be able to put you in touch with the relevant staff member.

PALS can be contacted by phone 0121 371 3280, by email PALS@uhb.nhs.uk, via the hospital website http://www.uhb.nhs.uk/pals-form.htm or in person by dropping in between 9am – 5pm (Mon-Fri) to the PALS office located near to the Information Desk in the main entrance of the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I came into the new UHB with some trepidation having seen the vastness of the place but it's reputation excelled .

I was referred from another regional hospital after receiving a cat bite over the weekend , referred because UHB was an expert in bites and have a dedicated hand surgery team. The previous hospital had called through and on arrival at ED I was seen immediately ( literally) by hand doctor on call who said id need surgery and IV antibiotics. No messing about seen and operated on within 4 hours .

The hand surgery team who have operated were caring, compassionate and very thorough and I cannot thank them enough, along with supporting team in anaesthetics who were just lovely.

welcome short stay ward was also fantastic, clean and spacious! The nursing team were fabulous working together really well under the fantastic sisters. Everyone was so friendly , worked really hard and lovely to patients . Working in the NHS myself this was an exemplary example of care professionals working together for the good of the patient . Highly recommend

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 31 January 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 17 February 2015

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience of the care and facilities at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you had so many positive experiences throughout your care and treatment. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for the areas that treated you; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
At University Hospitals Birmingham we are always keen to receive feedback from our patients and visitors as it helps us to ensure we are delivering the best in care. Please continue to tell us if things went well so that we can share this with the teams who cared for you. If we don’t get it right please let us know so that we can take action to make sure we get it right in the future.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Fill out our patient experience surveys; we have them for day case or short stay patients, inpatients, and those who attend the Emergency Department. There are general surveys asking about all aspects of your experience as well as others relating to specific aspects of your stay e.g. the operating theatre and food. You may also be contacted by post and given the opportunity to complete a survey relating to your discharge from hospital or your outpatient attendance.
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient or Emergency Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.
- Fill in a Trust feedback leaflet, displayed in all patient and public areas – please ask staff if they are not easily visible.
- Become a ‘mystery patient’ and tell us about your experience, you can do this just once or each time you attend the hospital.
For further information on these and other ways you can give us your feedback please contact patientexperience@uhb.nhs.uk or telephone us on 0121 371 4491/2

Chez gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

This Hospital is worth its weight in Gold

I have to Praise this Hospital to the Hilt..! As a regular visitor and Patient having numerous and continued health issues. Attending the New Queen Elizabeth brings me to say that I have nothing but excellent and positive comments to make... I find it a Highly Professional, Clean Organised, Thorough and Friendly experience. I have never had to wait or being delayed for an appointment, It is a really pleasant and almost enjoyable experience!. Every time I visit it is like attending an appointment at a posh hotel! I love the new look of this Hospital as I drive there and see it from a distance...I feel very proud that I live in Birmingham... It looks so impressive close up. I like the structure and look of the Q.E. so much almost like a piece of Art admiring from afar. It stand Proud in it's place.. especially on a sunny day it looks beautiful.

I for one am personally tired of hearing people complain so negatively about our NHS Service and all its components... I think our NHS Service & System is part and contributes to making Great Britain OUR Great Britain...for all those people who have not had to go to the hospital yet, I can guarantee once there, that you will find such a relaxed, and personal experience, all the doctors and nurses there give their time to care for us. We should be so thankful for such a marvellous service which is offered to all, and it is only there to offer help and resolve peoples health issues from minor to major... I am so thankful that I live just a stones throw away, that I am able to benefit from all the facilities that this wonderful hospital offers... I count my blessings everyday for the fantastic staff, nurses and doctors, consultants and professors to the cleaners & volunteers that make your visit to the Queen Elizabeth and the public such a Humbling experience. Many many Thanks for my on going care

A Huge appreciative Thank You XX

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 28 January 2015

Dear Chez,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience of the care and the facilities at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you have had so many positive experiences throughout your care and treatment. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;

Jantween gave Endocrine and thyroid surgery at Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endocrinology Dept

From the initial consultation to my eventual operation at the Ambulatory Ward I felt that I was treated with courtesy and respect from staff of all levels. The nurses and doctors explained everything that was going to happen all the way through which left me feeling relaxed when the operation date finally came.

Jan

Keep this service free at point of service.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 20 February 2015

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 04 March 2015

Dear Jan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience of Endocrine and Thyroid surgery plus the Ambulatory Care Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you have had such a positive experience. Your comments have been passed onto the senior hospital managers responsible for these areas. They will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.

Will gave Queen Elizabeth Hospital a rating of 5 stars

They saved my life!

A massive thank you to everyone that was involved and for all the wonderful care that I received. On 01/11/14 I collapsed at work and was eventually brought to QE Hospital after been taken to another hospital first where they suspected it was something to do with my brain. After scans at QE they confirmed I had acute hydrocephalus (fluid on the brain) and brain surgery was urgently required to relieve the pressure in my head as it turned out I was very close to dying. Further brain surgery was then needed to remove a cyst from my brain which was causing the hydrocephalus and this was to be done on 10/11/14. Thank you so much to the neurosurgeon and his team for the surgery and to everyone else too. Also special thanks to everyone on Ward 409. Everyone was so nice and the nurses work non stop and nothing is too much trouble for them.  The food was very good and I always looked forward to the next meal.

We are all so lucky, especially myself, to have The NHS and all the fantastic staff who work so hard, and I will be eternally thankful to everyone who helped.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 05 December 2014

Queen Elizabeth Hospital replied on 09 December 2014

Dear Will,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience whilst being cared for by the Neurosurgical team on Ward 409 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham. We are delighted that you have had such a positive experience. We hope you are continuing to recover well at home. Your comments have been passed onto the senior staff responsible for this area; they will ensure your feedback is shared with their team members.
It is a real morale boost for staff to receive feedback like this from patients. It means such a lot to know that the hard work, dedication and commitment of our staff is recognised and valued in this way. It is also very satisfying for staff to hear they have made such a difference to patients and made sure your experience under our care has been positive.
There are a number of ways you can do this, some of which are listed below;
- Answer the Friends and Family Test question; you can do this as part of one of the larger surveys, alternatively you can answer it whilst in the Outpatient Department – there are posters explaining the different ways that you can do this.