Queen Mary Hospital

020 8487 6000 Roehampton Lane , London, SW15 5PN

Radiology Procedure (HSG) - very positive outcome

Attended the Radiology Dept at Queen Mary's Hospital this morning for a procedure. Was nervous and concerned about how it would go. All staff I had contact with were very helpful and professional, starting with the lovely senior nurse who oversaw the preparatory stage. Particular mention should go to the radiologist who led the procedure itself, and their team. They had a very reassuring manner and treated me with kindness and respect. They were helpful and flexible, responding to my needs appropriately and enabling me to manage the procedure without any significant problems. Many thanks indeed!

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 12 April 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 20 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your visit to Radiology. We are very pleased to read that your experience was a positive one. Your comments will be sent to the manager of the service.

Anonymous gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Poor service for blood tests

You previously had an excellent service for taking bloods for out patients. I don’t ever recall waiting more than 20 minutes before. However, waits of 1-2 hours are now standard. This change is inconvenient for patients and was unnecessary given you had such an excellent service before.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 April 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 20 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on your concerns with Queen Mary's Hospital. We are very sorry that your experience is below the standard we expect for our patients and relatives. Your comments will be sent to the manager of the service for investigation. PALS is available on 020 8725 2453 or by email on pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk if you would like your particular wait to be investigated.
The telephone is busy but PALS make every effort to contact patients who leave contact details.

stuarth reviewed Queen Mary Hospital

In many cases the patient is the expert on their own health

Around two years ago, ECT started with outstanding results. My improved health resulted in me finding my 1st paid job since 2007 and organised trips to USA, Germany and Holland to play in sports tournaments. My previous prolonged period of mental health problems would not have allowed this.
In brief my previous consultant of 4 years standing recommended further use of ECT a year later because of a dip after 8 months of excellent health from the course. Regrettably ECT that was organised was turned down. This took place after three doctors discussed my case. The most recent consideration of ECT by my new consultant required a 2nd opinion by a doctor who felt that ECT was not appropriate. I have no reason to question the doctor’s professionalism and care but he scrolled through my notes since Dec 2011 which was not to emphasise the positives of previous ECT.
What could have been better? To give greater recognition to my friends and family who were amazed about my transformation to my old self and to recognise that in many cases the patient is the expert on their own health whilst there are professional consultants who give opinion and guidance
How do I feel about my care? Abandoned, not listened to. I wrote a letter to a doctor. This has not been acknowledged or the courtesy of a reply, despite being at a very very low state. I now feel in a black hole with no future except to hope that changes to my medication might help. I think not. In addition, I feel that the bigger picture has not been considered i. e. The start of my poor mental health from being severely depressed, schizo-affective disorder and now bi polar.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 18 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Patient Experience Lead, Governance, South West London and St George's Mental Health Trust replied on 20 April 2016

Dear stuarth,
My name is Jane and I am one of the Patient Experience Leads for the Trust. Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on the treatment you have received and I am pleased to hear of the positive benefits you have obtained in the past from ECT.
I am sorry to learn that you are now feeling as though you have not been listened to and that you have not received any acknowledgement or response to the letter you have written to your doctor. If you would like this, and your other concerns, to be looked into as a formal complaint then please contact the Trust Patient Experience Department, either by telephone on 0203 513 6150 or by email to Complaints@swlstg-tr.nhs.uk
Kind regards Jane

Maria gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unhelpful

Some of the staff here are very unhelpful and rude, would not help me or even push me in the right direction trying to book transport for a very elderly patient. I was left shocked and surprised as always thought the staff here were helpful.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 21 March 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 29 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on your concerns with Queen Mary's Hospital. We are very sorry that your experience is below the standard we expect for our patients and relatives. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is available to investigate or feed back comments on services that patients have experienced. By providing PALS with more information on yourself, PALS would be able to feed back to the area your dissatisfaction in the service and help with communication.
PALS is available on 020 8725 2453 or by email on pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk The telephone is busy but PALS make every effort to contact patients and to help.

Farrance gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Top Marks

This hospital is fantastic. I was pretty nervous about having a gastroscopy and they handled me perfectly. The hospital was clean and my appointment punctual. The doctor and nurses were calm, reassuring and professional. Top marks.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 29 February 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 01 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your visit to Queen Mary's Hospital. We are very pleased to read that your experience was a positive one. We will pass your comments to the service.

Breast clinic

First visit to QM's Breast Clinic - very efficient service and staff, great facility, thank you.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 11 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience at Queen Mary's Hospital. Your kind words about the very efficient service and staff; will be sent to the manager of the service, who in turn will inform the staff.

Daniela Rianjongdee gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Pharmacy

I would like to thank the Pharmacy staff for such an efficient and friendly service.
They were very helpful with my daughter’s prescription and I would like to thank them on her behalf too.
Best Wishes
Daniela

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your feedback about your experience at Queen Mary's Hospital. We are very pleased to read that you found the service helpful. Your comments will be passed onto the management of the department.

Liz AndertonHolloway gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day Case Unit - Endoscopy

As a senior Healthcare professional, I write to bring to your attention and to commend the excellent experience I had in the Day Case Unit at Queen Marys Hospital Roehampton on Tuesday 19th January 2016.

I was referred by my GP for a colonoscopy mid December and the appointment came through very quickly for the date above.
Everything about this experience was excellent from start to finish including the first communication with the appointment date and information leaflet containing good, thorough and a useful explanation of the prep and the procedure.
I collected my prep from the unit a week before my appointment and the senior nurse spent some time talking me through the preparation and what to expect on the day. I was given telephone numbers and contact details if I had any further questions.

On the day I was greeted by a named nurse who was lovely, very friendly, warm but professional and they put me immediately at ease.
Then unit was pretty full but the atmosphere was quite, calm and restful.
My every need was taken care of and their pre op assessment was thorough, informative and efficient. My privacy and dignity was respected throughout and I could see the same for other patients in the unit.
The unit was spotlessly clean and the team regularly washed their hands, particularly between patients.

They were kind and considerate of what was ordinarily a difficult and uncomfortable examination but I cannot fault their care and attention throughout my visit.
Post operatively they again were very thorough and thoughtful and we left with all the information to hand about my condition including a follow up appointment for clinic in 3 months’ time.

It is not often I find I am compelled to write a letter or email to praise the service I have received but feel this was excellently run and I was so impressed I felt I must inform you of my experience from a patient perspective.

As a ex Registered Manager myself in the past, I know how difficult it can be to manage resource, juggle budgets and meet patient expectation but my personal and clinical observations of this experience were so positive I felt this should be communicated to your organisation.

I do hope this is useful feedback.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 25 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your experience at Queen Mary's Hospital. Your words of appreciation about the way staff members communicated with you and cared for you will be sent to the managers of the service.

Anonymous gave Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 1 stars

receptionists are extremely rude

The receptions were very rude, they asked me 'what's the problem' rather than 'how can we help'. They didn't make me feel welcome or comfortable even though I was suffering from so much pain. I went a previous time with friend as she hurt her wrist. We arrived 5 mins after closing, the doors were locked so we rang the phone, the receptionist ignored our call even though they could see us standing outside.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Queen Mary Hospital replied on 25 January 2016

We are very sorry that your experience is below the standard we expect for our patients. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is available to investigate or feedback comments on services that patients have experienced. PALS would be able to feed back to the area your dissatisfaction in the service your received and improvements can be made.
PALS is available on 020 8725 2453 or by email on pals@stgeorges.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Inpatient mental health services at Queen Mary Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lavender Ward

I'm very pleased with the standard of care I've had whilst in hospital. Staff have been very professional, approachable and caring. I also enjoy the food!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 December 2015

Claire Reid, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust replied on 07 December 2015

Dear Anonymous,
My name is Claire Reid and I am the Senior Patient Experience Co-Ordinator with the Trust. Thank you for your positive feedback about your experience on Lavender ward. I am pleased that you report that staff have been professional, approachable and caring and will share this post with them. I hope that you continue on your recovery journey and keep enjoying the food!
Many thanks,