University Hospital (Coventry)

024 76964000 Clifford Bridge Road , Coventry, Warwickshire, CV2 2DX

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 4 stars

Hard working staff.

Having made three recent visits to the Opthalmology Ward at University Hospital, I can only thank all of the hard working staff, who on each occasion were friendly and attentive.
The consultants were all very professional and courteous, despite them always being extremely busy and under pressure to cope with a high number of patients.
The reception desk staff were helpful and friendly as were the nurses and Doctors.
I came away satisfied on each occasion.
Thank You!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 April 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Ophthalmology Ward, University Hospital Coventry. I am delighted you were pleased with the service you received and that everyone you met from the reception team to the medical team was friendly and helpful. We aim to always be courteous and treat our patients with respect so I’m glad your experience reflected this.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. I have passed on your kind comments onto the Modern Matron and manager for Ophthalmology so that they can thank the team on your behalf.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Christine French gave Gynaecology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 4 stars

Parking

This hospital has to be the worst for parking in the UK. Between 12 and 3 the car parks are always full with huge queues and chaos. You get charged the earth but no one compensates you for the time and money spent in waiting for a space. Shocking.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 19 April 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 24 April 2017

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at University Hospital. I’m very sorry for the car parking problems during peak times which are due to high demand.

We are working closely with our Private Finance Initiative (PFI) partners who own and manage the hospital car parks, to find solutions to this ongoing issue.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), either by phone on 0800 028 4203 or by email on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk.

If you do decide to contact PALS, please make them aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Edward Stokoe gave Orthopaedics at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 5 stars

Fibula fracture plate and screws

My first ever operation and anaesthetic could not have been better. All staff were great especially my anaesthetist and the staff working with them. The 20 minutes or so with them before my operation was such a reassuring and happy moment. We talked about dogs (I'd sustained my injury walking my dog) and also theatres that we'd been to. Thank you for making my visit so pleasant.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 April 2017

Dear Edward,

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your experience of Orthopaedics at University Hospital earlier this month. I hope that you're continuing to recover well after your operation.

I was delighted to read that you received such good care at our hospital, and that our Anaesthetic team were so friendly and kept you reassured. I will pass on your kind comments to both the Trauma & Orthopaedics and Anaesthetics & Theatres teams so that they can thank the staff who cared for you.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Laurie Radford gave Gynaecology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 5 stars

Gynae surgery

I recently had surgery to remove a giant complex cyst, it was 35cm x 25cm x 20cm and weighed 9kg! My stay at hospital was brilliant with all the nurses genuinely caring for everyone on the ward. The McMillan nurse was very helpful towards me and cheered me up after a rough few weeks. Il be forever greatful to all the staff at UHCW who have helped me through my journey, you all deserve way more credit than you get!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

Dear Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Gynaecology Department at University Hospital.

I am delighted to hear you have come through what must have been a very difficult time for you. We aim to provide every patient with high levels of care and support and I’m pleased this was reflected in the care you received.

I will pass on your kind comments to the matron responsible, Sue Harrington, and her team.

We appreciate all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients.

Thank you for leaving your comments on NHS Choices.

I wish you all the best for the future and continued good health,
Claire Fryer
Deputy Head of Midwifery & Gynaecology

Susan gave Nephrology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 3 stars

My stays on ward 50

I have been a patient on APD for 4 1/4 years and it has gone really well until recently when i have been suffering extreme pain on draining and filling due to the dreaded constipation! It was a joint decision to go onto haemodialysis, the first session of which i had 2 days ago. I was on haemodialysis in 1975 for three months, before a successful kidney transplant which lasted 36 years, and was not looking forward to haemodialysis but oh how things have changed in regard to diet etc. Due to a broken femur with complications, i have been in and out of ward 50 since September. I must report that the staff now are not able to do their job efficiently due solely to the shortage of staff. At one point during my stay my bed was not touched for 3 days and i find during these last couple of stays i ask for some help and never see them again. I will not keep ringing the bell as this is in no way a blight on the nurses and healthcare assistants but purely on the powers that be not ensuring there is sufficient staff. I must say the food is excellent and cannot understand why people complain. One of your dishes, chicken korma, far exceeds that in our local pub! Very often the afternoon or evening, or sometimes both, hot drink is missed as the ward maid has worked over a shift. This is not a problem to me as my family bring me one up but for a lot of people without visitors it is just a little something to look forward to. I hope i have been partial in my review which i have only good reports of the staff. I rather think it is the system that is at fault!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 22 April 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 4 stars

The issue is communication

I have been a 'maxfax patient' since February 2013 and i was amazed by the care and advice given. Finally, 3 consultants later and with a simple xray a consultant who had a solution. I was sent off for orthodontic treatment. By January 2017 i was ready for surgery. I was offered a pre-op, planning meeting and date for surgery very quickly and have since had my surgety which went very well and i was particularly impressed with the care i received in recovery 4 - i spent over 4 hours there as there was no ward bed! Unfortunately, communication has been awful. I was told by the discharging reg i would see the consultant on a specific date and the appointment letter would arrive in the post - this wad never sent. Instead i was advised to come to the clinic pn that day (10 days poat op) and wait to be seen by the cons. They told me i would be seen in 4 weeks and an appointment would be sent in the post - at 3 weeks i began the mission of tracking down this appointment. Appointments say there is no upcoming appointment or requedt for appointment and they emailed the secratary. I have called the secratary and been told the clinic is over subscribed and an appintment would come in the post. I have repeated the above and still no appointment. I have now resorted to emailing the consultant directly. I also saw my orthodontist recently and had to tell them what surgery had been done as the records fro UHCW to Warwick hadn't been updated to the point the thought i was still waiting for surgery. Such a shame that communication is so poor - it's the last thing you need when you are poat op and not local so need time to plan travel etc.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 April 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 24 April 2017

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience of Maxillofacial Surgery at University Hospital. I was pleased to read that your surgery had gone well and that you were happy with the care you received immediately after your operation.
However, I was very sorry to hear about the issues you have had regarding communication about your next outpatient appointment. I have therefore spoken to the Clinical Lead for this service to make him aware of your concerns.
He has apologised for your experience and has said that he is aware that recently a number of patients have faced delays with making follow-up appointments for the Maxillofacial service. There are plans for a meeting to take place as soon as possible between clinical staff and the team involved in booking follow-up appointments so that this issue can be resolved.
I hope that this reassures you that plans are in place to address this issue as soon as possible, and improve the communication with patients such as yourself.
However, if you would like to raise this further, you may wish to speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) so that they can look into your concerns in more detail. You can contact them on 0800 028 4203, or by email on feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk. If you do decide to contact us, please make us aware that you have left comments on the NHS Choices website.
Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Jo McDermott gave Children's & Adolescent Services at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 5 stars

Really great help

My son was in hospital for 3 days, it was a difficult time as I work my husband had our son and a 2 year old to look after but the staff were so helpful during his stay. They did there very best to help with my son's condition as well as his adhd which can make him challenging at times.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 08 March 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience of University Hospital, Coventry, when your son was admitted for three days in March. I was delighted to read that the staff on our children's wards were helpful and took good care of him.

Anonymous gave Neurology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 5 stars

Visit to Neurophysiology department

I would like to thank the doctor who did EMG for my mother.
The doctor took their time and explained everything clearly to us.
Excellent experience .

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 19 March 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 21 March 2017

Thank you very much for providing feedback on your mother's recent experience of Neurophysiology at University Hospital. I was especially pleased to hear that the doctor took the time to explain the procedure to your mother and yourself.

The Trust is grateful for all feedback, positive or negative, as it means we can better understand what is important to our patients. I will pass on your kind comments onto the Modern Matron and manager for Neurosciences so that they can thank the team on your behalf.

Telephone: 0800 028 4203

Haven't got one gave General Medicine at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 2 stars

In patient from 07/03//17 to 13/03/17

Care and treatment from doctors was brilliant except discharge doctor who changed their attitude once they knew I was tuned in to what was and had been happening. Nursing care on the whole was diabolical with the exception of a handful of nurses who obviously new about care compassion empathy ect. During my stay I experienced some rather worrying episodes. Left nearly six hours without water even though i repeatedly asked for some twice my family were told by the nursing staff to get me some from the vending machine. Was left one day for over seven hours without a look in from a nurse ( I was in a side room) twice given the wrong drugs my bed was not changed or made for 3 days bed pan given to me for a sample with someone else's urine in it. These are just a few things from the experience of my stay. I thankfully had my family's support and some of these experiences were witnessed by them as one member of staff said I was dilerious with a temp or high the meds were making me high obviously these are the sort of excuses they use a obviously get away with it. Absolutely disgusted

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 25 March 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 31 March 2017

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience as an in-patient at University Hospital Coventry. I'm very sorry to hear that some of the care you received did not meet high standards we aim to provide our patients. We expect all of our staff to treat patients with compassion, sensitivity and with attention to detail. We also expect patients to be checked regularly. I'm very disappointed that this was not your experience.

We would like to pass your feedback onto the ward team concerned so they can improve services in the future, however, we do not have that information. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) to discuss the details of your stay, they can then ensure the relevant people are informed. You can call PALS on 0800 028 4203, or if you would prefer to contact us by e-mail, our address is feedback@uhcw.nhs.uk

Communications Team
University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust Telephone 0800 028 4203

Mrs G. gave Ophthalmology at University Hospital (Coventry) a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Service in Clinic 9, Suite 4!

My husband arrived for an Outpatient's Appointment and was given lazer surgery the same morning... Although the Clinic was extremely busy, it ran quietly and efficiently until everybody had been seen. To be treated on the same day (and not have to arrange another visit) is impressive.

We'd like to send a big thank you to everyone in Clinic 9, Suite 4 for helping us yesterday.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 24 March 2017

University Hospital (Coventry) replied on 12 April 2017

Thank you, Mrs G for taking the time to let us know about your husband’s experience at the Ophthalmology Outpatient Clinic, University Hospital Coventry.

I am delighted to hear your husband was impressed with the service. We have shared your kind comments the team responsible.