Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

481 total | 13 found in Gastrointestinal and Liver Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not happy

I have currently been admitted in to hospital again for 3rd time in 1 week just to keep being sent home with no answers am now goin to be making a complaint

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Mazzi gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience in Upper GI Surgery

I was admitted to SAU on 5th Nov with symptoms relating to my gallbladder - known gallstones. After exemplary care from all, I was given a surgery date of 2nd Dec to remove the gallbladder. The following week, I was telephoned and asked if I could come in earlier, on the 23rd Nov. I was given all the information I needed by the very pleasant secretaries involved. Because of the change of date, I needed to change an appointment for an elderly relative who was due a TOE later that month. No problem, staff as helpful as they could be - big weight off my mind. I arrived in Fal on 23rd Nov expecting a wait so was prepared. 11.30 I was taken down to the theatre by a lovely doctor who waited with me until I could go in. Always asking if I was okay. Lots of reassuring, relaxed care before I received the anaesthetic. Made a nuisance of myself with low BP after the operation but with excellent care from the recovery team was soon handed over to Postbridge and a cheery offer of a cup of tea and sandwiches or biscuits. Such patience with a dozy woman who was having problems waking up! Another cup of tea brought because mine had gone cold as I dozed off yet again. I was shown much kindness and understanding by all the staff who saw me through the whole procedure, from one doctor & team on 5th Nov, to the other specialist and team (sometimes the same people) on 23rd Nov. (Don't forget the pre-op assessment teams!) I had to return to Hound on Thurs to have the drain removed and it was not a pleasant experience! Thank heavens for the nurse who removed it - so kind as they guided me through it. My very grateful thanks to you all. How you manage to maintain such a brilliant standard of caring, compassion, kindness and understanding under the conditions you work in, heaven knows. You were always busy, always doing something for somebody. I wish there were more nurses available to help with the load - the same probably applies on the other wards too. More nurses, more doctors please, these people work hard!
It's the 2nd Dec and I'm feeling great. This laparoscopic cholcystectomy lark is a doddle! Wounds closed and healing well. No pain - stopped the painkillers on Day 2. The only real pain was when I laughed too hard - blame my friend. This great result has got to be down to the skill of the surgeons, coupled with the care of the nurses. Thanks guys. I've got a lot of people to thank for making the whole experience such a good one.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 02 December 2015

R Godwin reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital

Endoscopy

Had an endoscopy last Saturday (22nd August 2015). Was a little nervous but the staff from receptionist through to the nurses & the doctor were all brilliant. They did their best to put you at ease & were caring & supportive during what is a not very pleasant procedure. Not painful, but uncomfortable & a bit of a weird feeling. If you are having one, don't worry, it's not as bad as all that & if you are still worried go for sedation. I just had the throat spray, but personally if I had to have one again I think I might opt for sedation, but it just depends on how nervous you are. The main thing is it isn't that bad either way & after all it's the only way to find out what's going on in there!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 23 August 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Long wait for pre-booked bed

I went for an investigation, requiring an overnight stay on PIU. On the day ward the investigation was completed, and I was got out of bed (they needed space for more patients coming through), dressed and dumped in a chair by 11am. I had no pain relief even though biopsies had been taken internally making it painful to sit up. All I kept being offered by the nice staff who felt impotent was tea and biscuits.

By 12.30 I asked when I would be moving onto the ward, as I was looking to lie down to relieve the discomfort. I was told PIU had told them not to ring them before 3pm (even though it was known I was having the investigation early in the day) regarding the bed. I waited until 3.15pm, and asked the nurses the situation, and was told the bed manager was in a meeting which they weren't sure what time she would be free to ask when the bed would be ready. They then informed me a patient in the same situation the previous weeks had had to wait until 8.30pm for their bed!

After having sat in pain for four hours, with a further potential six hour wait ahead of me I self-discharged against advice. There was no way I could bear to sit in that chair any longer. The only transport I could get home (hospital car was booked for next day and the office was closed so I couldn't change it by this time) was a taxi. Given I live an hours drive from the hospital it cost me £50 to escape. The nurses were concerned that I might become ill overnight, and asked me to go to A&E immediately. I pointed out I was an hour away so not able just to 'drop in' as they suggested should I feel ill.

I had to take a risk, going against medical advice because of the inhuman wait when they knew I was in pain and needed to lie down. I had to go home alone, with no help, and no option to return save by ambulance should I feel ill in the night because the ward did not have the bed which had been pre-booked available for over four hours. What's worse when the nurses called and informed them of my decision they didn't even apologise for the over four hour wait in pain I'd already endured.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 15 December 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 24 February 2015

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Manipulation of Waiting Times for CT Scans - Derriford

My GP requested a CT scan for me several weeks ago. I eventually received an appointment by post for a date in the middle of November that unfortunately I cannot attend. I phoned Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust (PHNT) to rearrange this appointment. I was shocked to discover that PHNT policy does not allow appointments for CT scans to be rearranged to the next future date/time when the patient can actually attend. PHNT policy dictates that patients who phone to cancel an appointment are returned to the very back of the waiting list to start waiting all over again! I therefore now have to wait until the end of December/January before I will be given another appointment for this CT scan. If I cannot make that appointment, then presumably the same thing will happen again.

This practice enables PHNT to manipulate its CT Scan waiting list figures to give the false impression that patients have not been waiting as long as they actually have been for a CT scan. This practice is clinically unsound, morally unacceptable and clearly puts patients at risk.

It is likely to now be some 3 months between my GP requesting a CT scan and it eventually being undertaken. Presumably the official waiting list record will only show my length of wait since I was returned to the back of the queue earlier today.

PHNT puts achievement of its waiting list targets before what is in the best interest of its patients. There is no comprehension at PHNT that patients who cannot attend a unilaterally made appointment that arrives in the post, may have co-morbidities and necessary appointments at other hospitals outside the area, or indeed have other perfectly valid reasons for non attendance. Patients should not be penalised for this. It should be possible for patients who cannot make an appointment for a CT scan to phone PHNT and to be offered the next available slot that they can attend, not be put to the very back of the queue to start waiting all over again, for another eight to twelve weeks. This appalling practice needs to be changed immediately!

I will use "Patient Choice" and ask my GP to refer me to an alternative hospital that puts patients first and has far better clinical outcomes than PHNT. I pity those patients who are unable to travel further afield to access high quality health care in alternative NHS hospitals.

The member of staff who took my call was very polite and understanding. I have no personal complaint against them, they simply have to carry out the management policies of this wholly dysfunctional organisation.

It is hardly surprising PHNT has such long waits for CT Scans when it still only offers appointments at certain times Monday - Friday. It is not acceptable to all the patients waiting for their CT scans to be told that they will be moving to a 7 day service in 2015. This change of practice needs to happen with immediate effect!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Please would you be kind enough to contact the Imaging Support Manager, Mr Mark Walker on 01752 439225, so he can talk through your concerns with you.

Care on Crown Ward

My mother is currently an inpatient on Crown Ward. The first issue is around obtaining a response from the switchboard which granted only took me 30 minutes this morning but took my sister 3.5 hours yesterday. The 'phone rings and rings until it is automatically cut off.

My mother had a routine endoscopy on Thursday where her oesphagus appears to have been perforated. I don't have an issue with this however depriving an 80 year old of any fluid for 24 hours is an issue (no oral fluids no IVI), and suggests the Liverpool Pathway without consultation. I understand she collapsed whilst in Radiology yesterday but no bloods were taken until today and indeed despite a persistant problem with anaemia this appears to be the first time since her admission that her FBC was taken. Of course anaemia is an issue with a persistant oesphageal stricture.

I am hopeful that she may survive this episode despite Derriford's input.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 09 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Genny

Jo Nic gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Reccomend for Upper GI Surgery

I chose to have my gall bladder removed at Derriford because of the fantastic treatment I had when admitted as an emergency in January with a subarachnoid haemorrhage .I am most impressed with the speed with which I was seen to the date of the operation. I saw the consultant on 27th June had preop check 17th July and operation 5th August. .I found all the staff very amenable and sympathetic to my problem. It's true I pushed to get an early date but you don't have to be nasty or impatient it pays in the end. So thank you to the doctor and his team for listening!!!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 19 August 2014

Good morning

I was extremely pleased to read the comments you have posted regarding your experience within Upper GI.

I will be delighted to ensure the Upper GI team are made aware of your message.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact Patient Opinion.

Genny

Shocking... a disgrace to the NHS

From start to finish, the nurses are exemplary. Shame the same can't be said for the surgeons, consultants and registrars! A 5 hour wait for a bed after planned surgery; a 24 hour wait for Senna; an essential drain not fitted; emergency transfer back to Derriford less than 48 hours from discharge; a 16 hour wait for emergency surgery due to sepsis ( no staff or theatres, apparently); blatant power struggles between consultants... need I go on?? I would NOT recommend this hospital to my worst enemy, as it is right now! This used to be an amazing hospital, and it is so sad to see the terrible way it is now being "run".

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 14 June 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Cath. H gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Derriford Hospital

I have been really impressed by my frequent visits to Derriford Hospital and the clinics that are also run at Liskeard Hospital.

The staff are very respectful, friendly and helpful. They have In fact renewed my faith in medical staff, which is just as well as I have to have further surgery soon.....

I am really grateful to this hospital I have been very unwell and as we live in a rural village in Cornwall I have had to rely on Derriford a lot and will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

Where we lived previously (South Wales) there literally was no health care facilities and over the past five years they watched me deteriorate to such a degree that I honestly thought my days were numbered. I was really scared because I am relatively young, so coming to Cornwall was a blessing.

So thank you Derriford staff for helping me regain some kind of life.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 14 April 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Coordination problems.

This was my first visit to a Hospital in the UK. I went in for assessment since I had some blood in my stool and blood tests showed slight anemia. The first glitch was in the appointment letter. This letter provides a telephone number of the colorectal unit in bold font, saying to call with any questions or issues. The problem is that the number was incorrect. It turns out they had skipped a number in the middle and there was no simple way to find that out online. In any case, it took a little while to figure it out and it required contacting the hospital. Although it was a minor inconvenience for me, I can imagine some elderly person with a serious condition getting rather upset by this. Once at the hospital, signs were well positioned and I had no problem finding the place. There was a bit of a longish wait before seeing the doctor, but nothing unbearable. The person I saw was a young and pleasant guy. He took my history and then proceeded to perform an examination. The examination was pretty painless. At the end of it, they said there were some internal hemorrhoids they could treat right on the spot by banding them, if that was OK with me. Now, that was a procedure I had not looked up in advance. I hate making treatment decisions on the spot and I felt that this procedure should have been explained to me in advance, including the potential risks and how long I could be out after it. In any case, I agreed to do it, as I was reassured there were no side effects (Google it, there are some rare side effects). The banding was mostly painless, but it becomes more painful later on. After the procedure was done, I was simply told to come back in a couple of months for a check up. Nobody else explained anything, and I just left the hospital with my partner. The problem is that, while on a taxi on the way home, I almost fainted, I could barely see and we decided to go back to the hospital to ask if this was normal. The nurse there was very helpful and said that somebody should have talked to me after the procedure and given me a leaflet explaining what was done and what to expect. That included sitting down in the waiting room for 10 minutes. So, there was some kind of lack of coordination there. The leaflet was rather informative, but it still did not mention thing like temporary difficulties passing urine (which I had for a couple of hours afterwards).
Overall, I think the preparation and post-procedure phases were suboptimal. In an optimal scenario, I should have been told in advance that internal hemorrhoids were a likely cause of my symptoms and that procedures x,y, z are used to treat them. It's hard to think in the middle of the procedure and make a decision. Similarly, the person who did the procedure could have handed me a leaflet and told me to wait for 10 mins in the waiting room.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 25 July 2013