Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

555 total | 15 found in Gastrointestinal and Liver Show all reviews

Andrea reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital

Visit a friend

Today I visited a friend on Wolf Ward and I was horrified. I am a Staff Nurse myself and worked in the RD+ E Exeter for 11 years and I am currently working at Musgrove Park Hospital. Whilst there a patients call bell was not answered for a whole hour even when the relative came out of the room to get some attention and myself asking a HCA to take note the attending Doctor taking off a surgical wound dressing without gloves and no one replacing it. Another HCA was going to take the Observations but when being told,that my friend was going to go home later this evening they said they were not going to bother. Which after just having a major liver resection is not a good practice. My friend asked why her bloods were not checked after having a blood transfusion,she was told that wasn't necessary. Also they were reluctant to refer her to the district nurse for a wound check up. whilst there one of the nurses found a long discarded needle in the orange refuse bin. I feel that some improvements are necessary Andrea

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 22 May 2017

Dear Andrea
I'm so sorry to read of the poor experience you described during your visit to your friend on Stonehouse Ward. As the Care Opinion webpage is anonymous, I'd be very grateful if you email me directly to [claire.jukes@nhs.net](mailto:claire.jukes@nhs.net) so I can arrange to look into this further for you.
Claire Jukes

Patient Opinion Logo

Angie gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy last week at the endoscopy department and felt i must congratulate the staff on the truly excellent service I received. From reception to leaving the department the staff were brilliant . The procedures in themselves were not as bad as I had anticipated and only felt very slight discomfort which can be expected. It really helped being talked to and having everything explained to you as they were doing it which made me feel more relaxed. 1st Class Service

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 12 November 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

stephen gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Just keep being messed around

You wait months for an appointment, then have tests done. Then nothing your left to chase up yourself. No one seems interested at that hospital. My doctor has asked another hospital now to do examination again second opinion. Even they cant get consultants to respond. If you complain you have to write in at least twice to get a response. Then the letter you get back is is dismissive. Appalling. Ive been same department a few yrs ago, they were Quite good.l had cancer in late nineties they were amazing back then. This lot seem to think your lucky to have any service they provide, even a bad service. Derriford hospital has gone way down hill the last 10 yrs. The hospital seems to have lost all discipline with staff, guess they can do anything they want now due to staff shortages. Doctors & nurses dont show respect to patients anymore. I personally know to nurses who left this hospital as they just couldn't work there anymore.its all just a numbers game to managers.No care, very little treatment, any excuse to remove you from waiting lists or delays in getting put on a list.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 28 August 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 September 2016

Dear Stephen
I was very sorry to read you felt no one was interested to listen to you or look into your concerns further. The Patient Opinion website is anonymous, but I'd really like to look into this further for you. If you'd like to get in touch with me, please email me to claire.jukes@nhs.net.
With best wishes
Claire Jukes Patient Experience Support Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

andrea mallatratt gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

first and last bad hospital experience

admitted to a&e sunday 17th april in there from 10 till 6 waiting for a bed.Admitted to eau ward then and put in a side room due to what i was suffering from.A colonoscopy was decided for the next day so was moved to the sau hound ward for it,all this time we had to chase the staff for answers.I asked monday morning if i could eat was told yes heard nothing about the colonoscopy and was then told it was going to be the following day tuesday 19th april.We asked if i could eat the following morning told yes again which i thought was strange and they then decided to say i was having the colonoscopy on the ward and then told it was going to be as an outpatient. I had had enough by then so A kind consultant from the diabetic side decided to let me come home.The care was absolutely shocking on the sau hound ward,no nurses didnt no what the other one was doing they were all over the place never came in to check i was ok apart from the first morning visit for blood pressure,absolutely disgusting .

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 21 April 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Donna nazarenko gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted on February 15th 2016

I was admitted on February 15th 2016 with a gastrointestinal bleed a& staff were brilliant and the staff on the gastroenterology ward for the four days I was in.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 15 October 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not happy

I have currently been admitted in to hospital again for 3rd time in 1 week just to keep being sent home with no answers am now goin to be making a complaint

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Mazzi gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing experience in Upper GI Surgery

I was admitted to SAU on 5th Nov with symptoms relating to my gallbladder - known gallstones. After exemplary care from all, I was given a surgery date of 2nd Dec to remove the gallbladder. The following week, I was telephoned and asked if I could come in earlier, on the 23rd Nov. I was given all the information I needed by the very pleasant secretaries involved. Because of the change of date, I needed to change an appointment for an elderly relative who was due a TOE later that month. No problem, staff as helpful as they could be - big weight off my mind. I arrived in Fal on 23rd Nov expecting a wait so was prepared. 11.30 I was taken down to the theatre by a lovely doctor who waited with me until I could go in. Always asking if I was okay. Lots of reassuring, relaxed care before I received the anaesthetic. Made a nuisance of myself with low BP after the operation but with excellent care from the recovery team was soon handed over to Postbridge and a cheery offer of a cup of tea and sandwiches or biscuits. Such patience with a dozy woman who was having problems waking up! Another cup of tea brought because mine had gone cold as I dozed off yet again. I was shown much kindness and understanding by all the staff who saw me through the whole procedure, from one doctor & team on 5th Nov, to the other specialist and team (sometimes the same people) on 23rd Nov. (Don't forget the pre-op assessment teams!) I had to return to Hound on Thurs to have the drain removed and it was not a pleasant experience! Thank heavens for the nurse who removed it - so kind as they guided me through it. My very grateful thanks to you all. How you manage to maintain such a brilliant standard of caring, compassion, kindness and understanding under the conditions you work in, heaven knows. You were always busy, always doing something for somebody. I wish there were more nurses available to help with the load - the same probably applies on the other wards too. More nurses, more doctors please, these people work hard!
It's the 2nd Dec and I'm feeling great. This laparoscopic cholcystectomy lark is a doddle! Wounds closed and healing well. No pain - stopped the painkillers on Day 2. The only real pain was when I laughed too hard - blame my friend. This great result has got to be down to the skill of the surgeons, coupled with the care of the nurses. Thanks guys. I've got a lot of people to thank for making the whole experience such a good one.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 02 December 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 23 February 2016

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to you.
I have passed your comments on to the staff involved who were very grateful to receive it.
Jemma Waugh
Patient Experience Support Manager

helen pulbrook gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

outpatients

I'm supposed to be seen every 6 months it has now been 8 months and I will be ringing up again and I will be getting a appointment it is not my fault they have too many patients and are under staffed and there appointment system is in the dark ages never had this problem before in other hospital

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 13 May 2016

R Godwin reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital

Endoscopy

Had an endoscopy last Saturday (22nd August 2015). Was a little nervous but the staff from receptionist through to the nurses & the doctor were all brilliant. They did their best to put you at ease & were caring & supportive during what is a not very pleasant procedure. Not painful, but uncomfortable & a bit of a weird feeling. If you are having one, don't worry, it's not as bad as all that & if you are still worried go for sedation. I just had the throat spray, but personally if I had to have one again I think I might opt for sedation, but it just depends on how nervous you are. The main thing is it isn't that bad either way & after all it's the only way to find out what's going on in there!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 23 August 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Long wait for pre-booked bed

I went for an investigation, requiring an overnight stay on PIU. On the day ward the investigation was completed, and I was got out of bed (they needed space for more patients coming through), dressed and dumped in a chair by 11am. I had no pain relief even though biopsies had been taken internally making it painful to sit up. All I kept being offered by the nice staff who felt impotent was tea and biscuits.

By 12.30 I asked when I would be moving onto the ward, as I was looking to lie down to relieve the discomfort. I was told PIU had told them not to ring them before 3pm (even though it was known I was having the investigation early in the day) regarding the bed. I waited until 3.15pm, and asked the nurses the situation, and was told the bed manager was in a meeting which they weren't sure what time she would be free to ask when the bed would be ready. They then informed me a patient in the same situation the previous weeks had had to wait until 8.30pm for their bed!

After having sat in pain for four hours, with a further potential six hour wait ahead of me I self-discharged against advice. There was no way I could bear to sit in that chair any longer. The only transport I could get home (hospital car was booked for next day and the office was closed so I couldn't change it by this time) was a taxi. Given I live an hours drive from the hospital it cost me £50 to escape. The nurses were concerned that I might become ill overnight, and asked me to go to A&E immediately. I pointed out I was an hour away so not able just to 'drop in' as they suggested should I feel ill.

I had to take a risk, going against medical advice because of the inhuman wait when they knew I was in pain and needed to lie down. I had to go home alone, with no help, and no option to return save by ambulance should I feel ill in the night because the ward did not have the bed which had been pre-booked available for over four hours. What's worse when the nurses called and informed them of my decision they didn't even apologise for the over four hour wait in pain I'd already endured.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 15 December 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 24 February 2015

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Best wishes