City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands

Newcastle Road , Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 6QG

Anonymous gave City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 1 stars

Nuclear Medicine Department

A disappointing experience from start to finish. Tthe initial appointment letter and 'Information Leaflet' had little relevance to the actual performance at the department. A change of appointment date was made but, the department were unable to explain why so I had to rearrange my time to fit in with them. A phone call apologising for 'messing me about' was made saying that the changed appointment had been made for a day when the procedure could not be carried out so, i opted to attend the next morning due to rreservations as to the aptitude of the staff employed. The staff were not organised or efficient and in one instance lacked basic social skills and demonstrated a lack of courtesy when speaking to me. The staff carrying out the procedure acted in a way which was contrary to the information fgiven in the leaflet leaving me confused and stressed. After the procedure there was a possibility that I was intolerant of the material used during the scan. When I, on the advice of 111, contacted the Department and spoke to the Manager the response was that it was not due to anything they had done. Research later showed that the symptoms I experienced were side effects of the materials used. This indicated a lack of knoweldge or denial from the Manager and reinforcved my concerns as to the overall standard of staffing in the Department. My experience of the NHS over the last few years has shown a young staff who were unable to accept responsibility for actions, poor communication skills and failure to recognise the outcome of errors made. Please do not give the trite response regarding PALS. Been there before and, despite their hard work, have had responses which were blatantly untrue from 'medical staff'

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 07 August 2017

I am sincerely sorry to read of your disappointing experience. I have sent your comments to the management team for the Nuclear Medicine Department for their information.
In the meantime, if you would contact me either via email to Rebecca.pilling@uhnm.nhs.uk or via telephone on 01782 675487 to provide further details, I would be very grateful. We can discuss the concerns you have raised and how we can improve to ensure they are not repeated in the future.
With kind regards
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Meera B gave Urology at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 5 stars

Ward 106 is a real credit to the hospital.

I was admitted to ward 106 from ward 117 (which was equally amazing) at the Royal Stoke.
My care on ward 106 was led by a senior staff nurse and their team.
The staff nurse's caring compassionate hardworking ethos was so refreshing to see and my anxiety of being in hospital from previous bad experiences was quickly abolished.
Every time the staff nurse came on shift they took the time to walk around the wards and if possible stop to speak to us and ask genuinely how are you feeling today?
Not just in my case but I saw the staff nurse caring for other patients in this exact same manner and was never faultered by the stress and bustle of the busy ward.

The nurses and nursing assistants are all amazing non without exception. If you needed anything such as pain relief or even an extra blanket they never made you wait long. They too spoke to us all each time they came on shift and took the time to get to know us as people and take interest in our likes and dislikes. They spent time caring for us not faultered by the several other buzzers going off at the same time as yours.

They would pop their heads round to see you to simply ask are you okay? You weren't afraid to ask questions about your medication and care because they made you feel so at ease.

It's quite obvious the services which are run in house by these dedicated amazing people compared to the ones which are outsourced to the external company sudexo I think they're called. Whilst even the sudexo staff who we saw on a day go day basis we're all really pleasant the services they provided were not so great.

The nurses and assistants quite often took it upon themselves to clean the bathroom or around your station for you because the contractors were so sparsely spread they hadn't had the time to address it.

The food was quite frankly abysmal. I have dietary requirements because of my gastrointestinal condition and they didn't cater too well for that or my ethnic needs. Whilst they did provide an ethnic menu the choices were rigid and the quality of the food was very hit and miss. I used to joke to the staff I'll pass on ordering from the cultural menu as I'm likely to develop diabetes and cholesterol from the oily food. It was really frustrating as Indian food when cooked properly has so many health benefits but non of these were mirrored in the food served in the cultural menu. After a while I'd decline on the meals and wait for my family to visit to bring me a day or couple of days supply. Although I have to say the nursing staff did offer to do a subway run for me on a couple of occasions which I thought was really kind.

I have to go back into hospital for a procedure in the near future and for the first time in a very long time I'm not afraid or worried about going into hospital because I know I'll be well looked after on ward 106.

They're an absolute credit to the organisation and I'd like to thank them all sincerely for everything they did for me. You're all incredible.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 23 July 2017

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 24 July 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your recent experience of our hospital. It makes a real difference to our staff when patients take the time to feedback on their stay.
I am very sorry you found the food to be unacceptable- I will ensure I forward your comments to the Matron for Estates & Facilities and our Senior Dietician.
I know Senior Sister Taylor and her team will be very grateful for your lovely words regarding the care on Ward 106, which I will share with her and the rest of her team.
With best wishes
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Julian keen gave Orthopaedics at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 5 stars

MRI Dept

First class service. MRI was taken promptly by helpful staff in state of the art facility. Everywhere was immaculate. The scan was reported in 3 days which was faster than when I paid privately at the Nuffield!
Scan was taken on Saturday so I didn't even have to take time off work. All I can say is amazing treatment thank you.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 31 July 2017

I will ensure your lovely comment is shared with the MRI Team- I know they will very much appreciate receiving your feedback.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
With best wishes
Rebecca Pilling, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Paula gave Accident and emergency services at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 1 stars

Waiting in corridor in A&E

We've been here for nearly two hours. Each time the door opens 10 elderly patients get a blast of freezing air. A manager should come and stand here for 2 hours to look at how things could be made better

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 26 November 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 28 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent observations in our A&E Department. I have shared this with the Senior Staff in the Department for their attention.
With kind regards
Rebeccca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 5 stars

Exellent treatment

I have attended this department today and would like to say what any excellent experience it was after going to other hospitals in the area. The doctor who I saw was so nice as was the nurse with the doctor and all the other staff that we came into contact with.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 19 August 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 22 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely feedback. I am delighted to hear that you had such a good experience for your dermatology appointment. I have shared your comments with the team.

Angela Grocott, Head of Patient Experience

Pete Croxton gave Accident and emergency services at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 5 stars

Much improved from the old A and E

As this was my first visit to the new building, I was unsure as to what to expect. I was very surprised to see so many car parking spaces and so few people waiting for triage. After a brief interview with the triage nurse, I waited about fifteen minutes to see a GP. All of the staff were efficient and friendly. The rooms were spotlessly clean and very pleasant.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 4 stars

Good staff, shame about the parking

I have been here several times in the past year,, sometimes whilst it was still a building site and later when I assume it is 'finished'. I am a disabled driver and as each step I take is painful, I prefer to park as near the main building as possible, especially because you can still get quite a walk after you have entered. Disabled parking bays are many and yet I have often struggled to find one empty, depending on the time of day. The worst of all in my opinion, was trying to get out of one on the one occasion, where I must have had 20 vehicles refusing to move for me, especially as all that area was disabled parking. I eventually climbed out of my car, approached the vehicles and very politely asked them if I could please get out of my space, thereby freeing it for someone else. Although one of them did not speak at all (pointing behind them to the queue), the other was quite unpleasant and asked me where they were supposed to go (there was some room in front of them). Despite their services being very good, the parking is obviously an issue for all drivers.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 13 October 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 24 October 2016

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to our hospital. I am very sorry to read of your frustration with the parking here at the University Hospital of North Midlands. As a Trust, we are continually working on ways to improve our services and I have shared your feedback with the team who manage the car parking.
Rebecca Smith, Quality Improvement Facilitator: Patient Experience.

Karen Leese gave at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 1 stars

Referal for Lump on Thyroid - Results not Satisfactory

Having been referred to ENT as I have a lump on the right hand side of my thyroid causing difficulty in swallowing, changing my voice range, feeling compression on wind pipe when laying in certain positions at night etc I quickly received an appointment and subsequent Ultrasound Scan, during the scan a fine needle biopsy was performed, but not on the lump I knew I had, instead on a lump in the left side of my thyroid...after waiting 4 weeks I finally got the results but only to tell me the lump on the left was not cancerous and there would be no follow up action required...there seems to be a breakdown of communication somewhere as I still have a lump on my right hand side of my thyroid causing difficulties as listed above...but no further action... I do not think so and will be taking this further

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 22 June 2016

University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust replied on 13 July 2016

Dear Ms Leese
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your experience of University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust.
We strive to provide the very best standards of care and we would like to investigate the issues you have raised. We would be very grateful if you could provide some additional information about your experience by contacting our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) on 01782 676450 or 01782 676455 or by emailing patientadvice.uhnm@nhs.net. Thank you and best wishes.
Rachel Harrop

Anonymous gave at City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands a rating of 4 stars

results of a bronchoscopy

Hello. I had a bronchoscopy the 26th of may and I thought I will receive a letter with the results . I come from the practice where I have my GP to see if they have any news . They told me they have a letter with no results ,just what happened the 26 in a lot of medical terms . I have to precise that I am not often home because I am live in carer then I was waiting for a letter or a call from the practice but more from you . Tomorrow I have an apointment with a nurse practitioner and I hope I will have more information . A the practice they are not sure the GP read the letter ........................... Regards

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 August 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 10 August 2016

Dear Anonymous

Thank you and best wishes.
Rachel Harrop

Anonymous reviewed City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands

results of bronchoscopy /Endoscopy Dept (not proposed bellow

I post this a few weeks ago :results of a bronchoscopy
Visited in May 2016. Posted on 04 August 2016 someone contacted me saying they have 8 days to give me an answer ;today was the D day . But they said they have nothing and they are still waiting for an answer . I had the exam the 26 of may :don't you think it is a shame ?

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 15 September 2016

City General Hospital - University Hospitals of North Midlands replied on 15 September 2016

I am sorry to hear that you had still not received your bronchoscopy results and hope that this will be cleared up when you see the nurse practitioner tomorrow. If you still have concerns following your appointment please don't hesitate to call in at the PALS department where a member of staff will be happy to support you.

Angela Grocott