St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

343 total | 64 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Induction and Delivery

We decided to have our baby at St Thomas after a negative experience at our local hospital. In the months under their care I always felt I was in the best hands, whether that be during booking, ultrasounds, scheduled appts and visits to the ADU. We were lucky enough to have a fairly straightforward pregnancy, with only towards the end a serious medical problem crept up. During this time, we were very emotional and worried, but the Drs and midwives at ADU were so kind and supportive: they provided us with options and medical advice whilst remaining unjudgmental and respecting our decisions with amazing bedside manner. The way we were treated allowed us to truly trust the staff, which when an induction was discussed, made for an easier decision as we knew we were in capable hands. After a night in the Antenatal ward I was induced and luckily had a quick labour where no real medical drugs or medical assistance such as episiotomy or forceps were needed. I wanted strong pain relief, but everything escalated so quickly there wasnt time. Which again if I didnt have faith in the staff, would have made for a terrifying experience, but I trusted midwives around me, and knew they were going to put mine and my babys safety first, and at the end of the day isn't that all that matters? I spent a night and a day on Post Natal ward, where I recieved assistance on breast feeding and taking care of my newborn. There was a little bit of a delay with discharging us, but it was dealt with on the same day. There are of course staff with better bedside manner than others, but thats to be expected... but on the whole everybody was kind, hard working and communicating with eachother. The hospital is spotless and ensures you are armed with as much information as possible whilst respecting your wishes. Thank you to all the staff at St Thomas Maternity who helped make our pregnancy journey a stress free experience, and turning what could have been a very dangerous situation into a textbook perfect birth. We cant thank you enough.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 14 August 2016

St Thomas' replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us on your recent experience of maternity care at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the care that you received during your pregnancy. It is good to know that staff provided you with information and you felt fully supported to make informed decisions at a critical point during your labour. We are pleased to hear that you felt that overall your experience was a positive one. We will pass your feedback onto the team.

Daisy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Antenatal Day Unit

The midwives in the day unit were so very kind. When I discovered I had obstetric cholestasis and had to go in regularly, they were incredibly supportive and made me feel so much better. Things happened very quickly, I was induced within about a week of discovering the problem and this would have been a very frightening process had it not been for the great care I received from both midwives and the doctors, right up to the birth. Thank you!!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 July 2016

Thank you for sharing you experience of treatmanet and care with us. We are pleased to hear that the staff were so reassuring and supportive and that positive experience of care contiued right up to the birth of your baby. We have passed yor feedback onto the team.

Yuka gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Waiting time is too long

Antenatal day unit waiting time for doctors is always over 6 hours with just 3-4 outpatients. I choose this hospital because of the review; however they did not include in their leave review questionaire whether you are satisfied with your waiting time, hence they got good review, which is not fair. In fhe future they should include in their leave review questionaire "whether you are satisfied with your waiting time?".

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 18 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us following your recent visit to the antenatal day unit. We would like to apologise for the length of time you had to wait in the unit. In addition to running clinics for women who need to see us regularly the unit also sees women who need to be seen in an emergency. We assess women who need to be seen as an emergency on the basis of clinical need when they arrive. This means that we see patients in order of priority, not when they arrive and unfortunately may mean that some patients experience longer waits than we would like. This issue has been recognised and we are currently working on plans that specifically focus on women’s experience in the Antenatal Day Unit. Thank you for your feedback regarding the questionnaire you completed. Although we do ask patients questions about waiting times, we will take your comments into consideration when we next review the questionnaire.

Craig gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Best midwife

Our baby girl was delivered on the 29th of may 2016@ 16.24hrs , 7th floor St Thomas hospital birth centre, North wing. In few words which means a lot, I would like to thank all the staff who made it happen on that day. Especially the best midwife we were a located in suite 9 and mastered the delivery of our beautiful baby girl. Thanks for your professionalism. Thanks st Thomas for this wonderful member of your staff.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 July 2016

Dear Craig, Thank you for sharing you feedback on your family's expereince at our birth centre. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. We are pleased to hear it was such a positive experience and that you all felt well supported by the team and midwife in particular. We have passed your feedback on to the Birth Centre Team.

Dee gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Gave birth at the hospital this Monday 11 April, I was admitted on Sunday morning and the level of care and support I received from the midwife team was amazing . I really appreciate the care that goes into your work. I felt supported and safe. I can't thank you enough for the great attitude . You are all amazing. Keep up the great work that you are doing and God bless you all :)

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 17 April 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 April 2016

Dear Dee, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with on your experience of giving birth at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that the high levels of care and support provided by t e midwifery team made you feel supported and safe during your labour. The team will be really pleased to hear this and we have shared your feedback with them. We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your baby.

Vasiliki gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Extremely disappointing experience

I gave birth at St Thomas’ on 26th March. Despite the fact that I have moved to East London, I decided to go ahead with my initial plan to have the baby there, due to the hospital’s good reputation. However, the experience didn’t live up to the expectations. My waters broke on 25th at 06:00 at which point we went to the hospital, as per the advice on the phone. There I was seen by a midwife and as I had no contractions, I was sent home. At around 19:00 on the same day, I was having contractions of about a minute every 2-3 minutes apart. I called the hospital again and their exact words were “If you feel ready to come in, do come.” Upon arrival at the Home from Home, the receptionist asked me in an annoyed way what was the problem. I explained to them and another midwife took me to a room. “You have no contractions, but I'll check you anyway,” the midwife said just by looking at me. The midwife gave me a quite painful check and concluded that I should go back home as I had no contractions. I mentioned that we were an hour away and could we not stay, but the midwife insisted mentioning the following: If you were having contractions you would be screaming like an animal now, you will come tomorrow morning and they will induce you. I also mentioned that I wanted an epidural and the midwife said they were going to give me one in the morning. As far as I know and have seen the hospital has an early labour room, were we could have waited. Half-way through to East London, my contractions became much stronger and by the time we got home, I could barely walk from pain. Half an hour later, we were on the way to the hospital again. Upon arrival after 22:00 the doors at the car park, were locked. As we were instructed at the antenatal class we rang the bell, but the doors seemed pretty locked and they wouldn’t open. On a wheelchair and carrying all my hospital bags, my fiancé wheeled me to the main entrance and up the maternity ward again. At the reception another annoyed receptionist asked me what was my problem, although it was very obvious. The receptionist took me to a room at the home from home, and in a mocking tone, they told the other midwives “she’s saying she wants to push” I started getting undressed but I mentioned the epidural again, so they took me out of this room and in the birth centre. Clearly my birth notes had been ignored.
By that time I was fully dilated and the anaesthetist was already in theatre, so as soon as the anaesthetist came out, I could have the epidural. That was not true, since there would be no point in having an epidural at that stage. The baby was born in about 40 minutes. We spent 3 nights at the hospital as due to the lack of staff  the doctors could never see us on the day we were told. We had to chase the midwives to be seen eventually and during the long waits no one came to update us.  I was very happy to be discharged from St. Thomas’ and I’m not planning to go back there ever again, if I can avoid it. One of the worst experiences I had.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 April 2016

St Thomas' replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. We really appreciate your courage and willingness to revisit the frustrating and distressing experience you had, during your baby’s birth here on 26/03/2016 and want you to feel reassured that the Midwifery Management Team will be taking appropriate measures to ensure lessons are learnt.

We were very disappointed to hear your description of events surrounding your arrival of the Home from Home birth centre during the early evening on 25th March.

It was so unfortunate that you were treated so impersonally and were sent home in such extreme circumstances. It appears that the midwife did not appreciate how rapidly your labour was progressing or show any insight into how you were feeling.

We are sorry that you were not listened too and made to believe you were not in labour. It must have been so stressful for you and your fiancé – especially as you had to travel so far.

You must appreciate that you did do very well. It is just such a shame that the moment of birth, which should have been so joyous and fulfilling, was a time of fear and stress. It is so unfair that you did not have the time/opportunity to have an epidural as everything was so rushed. You are clearly a strong woman and your preparation for labour and birth must have been considerable and thus your frustration at the management of your labour is entirely understandable.

Your email outlines the various different aspects of your ‘care’ which were unacceptable, please do be assured you that the Midwifery Management Team will follow these up. Our staff need to understand how their poor communication skills adversely affected your whole experience. This will unfortunately be of little use to you but will hopefully improve the situation for other women to follow.

Thank you so much for addressing your concerns so openly. We hope that w have reassured you of our commitment to try to resolve the situation.

Foo gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My caesarean section

Had a positive experience with my cesarean delivery on the morning of Mar 16. baby was born at 09.48. Organised planning and fantastic support from the surgery team , led by snr consultant. Special thanks also to the encouragement from my anaesthetist n the comforting care received from my assigned midwife. It's unfortunate I'm unable to remember everyone's name.

Heartfelt thanks to a great team on the operating table. 5 stars rating from me.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 23 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are please to hear that you felt so well supported during your recent caesarean and the anaesthetists and midwife continued to support you throughout. We wodul like to congratulate you on the birth of your baby. We will pass your feedback on to the staff wha cared for you.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My wife gave birth

My wife was in the hospital since 5th March and she gave birth there. It was an excellent experience in the hospital during the period we ware there so I recommend this hospital for treatment and thanks to nhs for giving the work class hospital

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your wife had such a positive experience of care during her stay. We would like to congratulate yo on the birth of your baby and than you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We have passed your comments on to the teams involved in your wife's care.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Postnatal ward was the worst 2 days of my life

Following good antenatal care for the most part - particularly the premature clinic - I gave birth to my son in the birth centre by emergency cesarean. I was under the care of caseload midwives who were completely wonderful for his birth. Having said that it was a fairly traumatic experience for both my baby and I as he was in distress. This was compounded by what were the 2 worst days of my life on the postnatal ward. The ward itself was boiling hot, made worse by being in a bed by the window where the blind was missing thereby allowing the sun to heat up the room. And of course meaning no privacy from the building opposite. The doctors (who sat in cooler rooms) commiserated and apologised but nobody seemed to care enough to do anything about it. Then there was the care or rather total lack of care. I literally received NO care. Despite being awake and on his feet for 42 hours my husband had to stay with me throughout the night in order to help look after our baby. What would have happened if he hadn't been able to hand me our baby? On our first night I was still unable to move from the epidural. On to pain relief - my operation was at 4.30pm. During the night I asked for more pain relief. I never got it. As I cannot take codeine I was just given paracetamol and ibuprofen at the 6am medicine round. I asked again for additional pain relief - as suggested by the doctor on their rounds. It took 12 hours and a change of midwife to finally get it - 11am to 11pm. The same doctor also said my dressing needed to be changed. I had to ask the midwife to do this a number of times. A few hours later they grumpily agreed and had to agree with the doctor it needed changing. Breastfeeding support was diabolical. I must have seen 10 or 12 different people, a number of whom took hold of my breast and tried to stuff into my son's mouth. On our final morning in hospital we attended the breastfeeding session where we were told this was all wrong. I spoke to the Specialist Midwife who to be fair tried to help but was unable to move me. We were then discharged at 9pm. I couldn't understand some of the recent NHS care scandals and how health care professionals could treat others with such little care. I understand now. I was definitely traumatised by my experience and am upset just writing here.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Beth Wilcox, Complaints Manager, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 August 2016

Dear Anonymous, I am so sorry to hear about your poor experience on the postnatal ward after your emergency cesarean. You have raised a number of issues about the ward environment, the level of assistance you received with your new baby, pain relief, wound care and breastdfeeding support. If you would like us to look into what happened and provide a detailed response to your concerns we would be happy to do so. You can contact our complaints team on 020 7188 3514 or email me at beth.wilcox@gstt.nhs.uk.

May Winfield gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Efficient, helpful & made c-section experience stress-free

From the moment we arrived at 4am on Sunday morning to the time we left 3 days later, all the staff - midwifes, surgical staff etc - made every effort to make my stay as stress free as possible. The staff were efficient, kind and patient, as well as remaining cheerful despite the long hours. They even found a Bluetooth speaker so we could play our chosen music during the surgery. They kept us informed throughout the process, and we're always happy to fully answer any questions or concerns we had. We feel lucky that we had our son at St Thomas, and are exceptionally grateful to all the staff for making our experience so positive as the surgery and subsequent days could have been far more stressful than they were. The food was remarkably good, and the fact a family member/partner can stay overnight made a phenomenal difference to our experience.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 02 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 03 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that team kept you informed through out your baby's birth, answered your questions and tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The introduction of reclining chairs to enable partners to stay overnight is new initiative which has proved popular with many new mum's and their families. We will pass your feedback on to the team in maternity services.