St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

400 total | 80 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Maternity care - not good

I learned I was pregnant in very early Dec and told my GP I would like to have my baby at St Thomas'. GP referred me 9th Dec, I heard nothing for a few weeks re a 12 week scan and then forgot about it over Xmas as I was home in Ireland. Sadly I miscarried and lost my baby At 8 weeks. I contacted my GP and explained what happened, I also mentioned in early Jan that I hadn't even heard from the hospital about my first scan, I tried to call several times tp cancel but couldn't get through. I assumed they lost the referral and left it at that, I was also mourning my loss. Suddenly on the 11th Feb I got a text reminder for my first scan on the 17th Feb and first antenatal appointment. I also got got two letters through the post on the 14th confirming these appointments. I was shocked and angry how firstly I would be given less than a weeks notice for my first scan and secondly offered one at 14 weeks which I would have been at this stage had I not lost the baby. I called to inform the hospital and they were so rude, wondering why I was cancelling! Like it was my fault.
So disappointing and insensitive, guess it adds to the long list of complaints people have on this hospital.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 28 February 2017

7days of nightmare gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

7 Days Of Nightmare

7 Days Of Night Mare
1- week no bathe for the babies
2- mother with twins ,and she was on labour for 17 hours ,after cesarean she been put with two people how she can have rest and recover, she didn't sleep for 7 night well
3- We have to beg to have milk for top up after breast feed ,because she was exhausted after cesarean and 17 hours labour
4- after 7 day no bounty pack we have been asking every body no one knows they play the ignorance
5- we been condescending from staff
6-The birth of a child should be a wonderful life,it is the privilege to care for women, babies at these formative times.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

Antenatal Care

Not much to add to previous reviews but I am in a similar position whereby after 5 weeks since referral I have not had any communication from the hospital and have not been able to contact the hospital - all my calls either go to voicemail or to a recorded message stating that the mailbox is full. Perhaps if the unit is understaffed, GPs should be advised not to refer pregnant patients to this unit for the time being, particularly given the time sensitivities of various scans and tests.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 January 2017

FishyMoo gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Antenatal Care

After reading the reviews everyone else has left I still chose St. Thomas' as my hospital to be. I was saddened when I was still waiting for a referral letter for the 12 week scan after a fortnight and a half which is when I decided to enquire. I emailed PALS and suggested and they were great to get back to me within one working day however I still hadnt heard from the antenatal team. I then called the team directly and was amazed I could leave a message as other people have said the voicemail box is full. Even more amazing is a midwife called me back within 5 minutes and was an absolute star. The midwife put me through to the appointments team and also gave me a bit of an insight of what to expect from the first scan. When passed to appointments, they too were great. They took 2.5 weeks to get an appointment for me and then you need to add on some time for the letter to reach you. I guess like the whole of the NHS, they are over worked and are trying to get through as much as possible in a working day. Be patient but I really do believe they are trying to do as much as they can.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 24 January 2017

St Thomas' replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for sharing you feedback with us. We wodul like to apologise for the problems you experienced when trying to arrange the appoint,ment for your 12 week scan but are pleased to hear that you were able to leave a message and a member of the team got back to you. The team has been working hard to remedy the problem of contacting the department and now that they team is almost back to full strength we hope that it will be easier for women to contact the department in the future, We have passed your feedback on to the maternity team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Difficult reachable - not feeling very welcome

I had my first pregnancy and chose for St Thomas, from the very beginning everything went wrong. Firstly I received my first scan confirmation on the day of the scan, so obviously I was too late. When you want to call the hospital it's impossible to get through, once you get through the receptionist sound anything but excited for you. When I finally managed to change my appointment and arrived for the first scan, I got bombarded with nurses who wanted to include me in research. I was so stressed since I just wanted to get on with scans and wanted to know how my baby was doing. Now for my second scan they called me to reschedule and the reason given was "short off staff" ... I have only been 1 in the hospital but this initial contact terrifies me. What will happen when I need to give birth there? Next week I'm going for my second scan, I hope the experience will be better, if not I might need to consider in changing hospital.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 10 February 2017

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Baby Delivery - Very good experience

Had a very good experience during labour. Midwife who delivered the baby is very good and supportive. Also happy with post-natal services, they discharged only after making sure that baby is breast-feeding properly. All the staff were very supportive and caring. My only concern is it is quite busy most of the times.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 02 January 2017

St Thomas' replied on 03 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on your recent experience of giving birth at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that you felt well supported by the midwife during your delivery and you were happy with the postnatal services you received including support with breastfeeding. We have shared your feedback with the team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Can't get through to antenatal clinic

This is a repeat of a complaint by another person. But I am also finding it impossible to get through to the antenatal clinic. I was referred by my doctor 5 weeks ago and heard nothing, called and left a message at 8 weeks and heard nothing. Called again and answerphone message says mailbox is full so you can't leave a message. Emailed the matron's email on the website and received an out of office until January 2017. Still nothing. I appreciate it's a very busy unit but it would just be nice to get through to someone!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 December 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you have had such a frustrating time struggling to get through to the antenatal department and we would like to apologise for this. We have experienced a significant increase in the number of referrals. We have also had staffing issues in the booking office. Unfortunately these issues have resulted in delays in appointments being sent out which is very frustrating. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible. If you would like to contact our PALS Team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk they will be able to liaise directly with the department on your behalf and help you get an appointment.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

I don't know where to start

I am now 18 week pregnant and considering changing hospital. There are several problems with the antenatal care I am receiving, I will mention 3 issues: 1) First of all, it is impossible to get through to antenatal bookings (020 7188 8002): after calling them around 40 times over 3 weeks to arrange an "urgent" appointment and leaving 3 voicemails with my details, I finally managed to schedule an appointment thanks to the intervention of the complaints department. 2) My 12-week scan was an appalling experience. Having had a miscarriage before and bleeding plus other problems at the beginning of this pregnancy, my husband and I were looking forward to finally breathing a sigh of relief. After the scan, performed by a sonographer who lacked empathy, they sent us to the waiting room again saying that my blood test results were not back and that they would call us back in as soon as they got the full picture. We saw people coming and going and after around an hour of waiting I realised that I was the only woman left in the unit and most personnel had left for lunch. I started walking around and saw the sonographer wearing their coat and going towards the lifts. I ran after them and told them they hadn't given my results yet. They rudely replied they had not performed my scan. It was only when I did not let them take the lift that they agreed to check. We went back to the scan room and they looked for my results. When they finally found them (with no word of excuse) they said that in any case all was good and I needed not worry (!). At that point I looked at the computer screen and I realised that my details are all wrong...they must have entered the details of another woman under my name! 3) I have been having thyroid problems since the beginning of the pregnancy, which were diagnosed by chance by a private gynaecologist. I asked the midwife at my booking appointment to add specific blood tests to the routine ones. They replied they would only do that after I had seen the obstetrician, the first appointment available being...1 month later! When I finally saw the obstetrician (at 14 weeks!) they said I should have had blood tests much earlier, as the baby could have been impacted by the lack of follow-up in the first trimester. They ordered blood tests, and one week later the midwife wrote to me saying that the obstetrician wanted me to reduce the thyroxine I was taking. At that point however I did not trust the care I was receiving anymore and had been to an endocrinologist, who recommended to double the thyroxine. I have since then consulted two more gynaecologists, who both agree that I should double the dose and that the NHS obstetrician is simply utterly wrong. I am lucky I can afford second opinions, otherwise I would have done something potentially very damaging for my baby and myself. How can I trust anyone in this hospital anymore?

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 December 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 January 2017

Dear Anonymous, We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience of antenatal care. You have raised a number of issues including struggling to reach the team to arrange appointments and more recently concerns about your experience during your 12 week scan and clinical advice regarding management of your thyroid problem during your pregnancy. If you would like us to look into what happened and provide a detailed response to your concerns we would be happy to do so. You can contact our complaints team on 020 7188 3514 or via email at complaints2@gstt.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

antenatal bookings

Very disappointed with the antenatal services as i have done my referral over 2 weeks ago and still no contact when i tried to call (several times) no one ever answers the phones, my scan should be done soon and i havent even had an appointment with a midwife.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you have had such a frustrating time struggling to get through to the antenatal department and we would like to apologise for this. We have experienced a significant increase in the number of referrals and have also had staffing issues in the booking office. Unfortunately this has resulted in delays in appointments being sent out. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible. If you would like to contact our PALS Team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk they will be able to liaise directly with the department on your behalf and help you get an appointment

Monica gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Best midwives and Doctors

My baby Amelia was born premature on 2nd of October and all the team assisting me was young, very kind and helpful, NICU team as well. I will always be grateful, thank you very much, you've helped me to bring a miracle to this world. ??

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016