St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

196 total | 55 found in Maternity services Show all reviews

A mess-will not be considering St Thomas' for next pregnancy

My experience with the hospital was short, as unfortunately my 9 weeks pregnancy ended in miscarriage this week, but there is nothing positive to say about this short experience. The hospital is staffed with incompetent people who couldn’t care less about patients. I was bleeding, called the emergency department, and the receptionist said they would get someone to call me to advise what to do, however didn’t do so for 3 hours. After being chased, they simply told me everyone was too busy and still didn’t arrange the call for another 2 hours. Only once my very angry husband called after waiting about 5 hours they finally managed to connect me to someone immediately, who said they had actually not been busy at all but had never received the urgent message; that person though also was so defensive (even though I didn’t say a word to blame her for the delay in responding to my emergency) that they didn’t care much about giving me any useful advice either. When I eventually came to hospital for assessment, the receptionist didn’t bother to greet us and had very unpleasant face. I had a scan which was OK, but the person doing it was quite rough and completely ignored when I said I was in pain. They then sent me home without giving me a reason why I was bleeding nor any instructions on how to behave or what to expect, giving me an impression the bleeding was nothing to worry about.
When a week later I was going through a miscarriage, I called the maternity department to ask if I had to come to hospital, they kept putting me through to various departments where no one answered. When someone finally answered, they told me I had to go to the hospital, 7th floor. I came all the way just to find out that 7th floor didn’t deal with early pregnancy and they didn’t know who did. They told me to go to A&E, which I did; I waited patiently while very slow staff where completing some clearly unnecessary paperwork- the information which I had already provided in hospital multiple times- with a grin on their faces while I was in tears. I eventually got to see a general nurse, who didn’t know much about a miscarriage and told me A&E was not the right place- I should have gone to maternity unit, but that was closed for the day, therefore I was sent back home. Being sent in circles was the last thing I needed while going through a miscarriage.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 21 July 2017

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Maternity experience

the reception staff to all the midwives and doctors were so helpful and patient throughout both my pregnancy and delivery. the midwife who stayed with me throughout the birth was particularly brilliant.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 06 June 2017

St Thomas' replied on 11 July 2017

Thankyou for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had such a positive experience of treatment and care with us during the whole of your pregnancy. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Too understaffed to give good post natal care

My daughter gave birth here on 19th June. Her waters broke on 18th and she was sent home for 24 hours. When she returned, she was left pretty much to herself. She had an epidural which was sited wrongly so didn't work and had to have another. Baby's heart rate was dropping and so she ended up with emergency C-section. She had baby around 1.30pm on 19th. She and baby both had infections - a risk once waters have broken over 24 hours. The care in HDU was extremely good - however, once she and baby transferred to post-natal ward it was a completely different story. Her partner stayed most nights but had to get some sleep on night 3. I couldn't stay that night either. There was nobody around to support her. The next day she was left in a bed with bloody sheets for hours on end, despite having requested they were changed. Daughter had to go to the toilet and was then told off for letting baby cry (she was gone 5 minutes only). She was also told she couldn't take baby to bathroom with her - so damned if she did/damned if she didn't. Also was left without drinking water for several hours, despite request for water and the fact she was becoming dehydrated. The rule is one visitor/supporter only on a 24 hour basis (others can visit in specified hours) but the woman in the next bed had several - very loud - visitors all night. When daughter/her partner complained, the response was basically 'tough'. When I raised concerns with staff I was told there is one midwife and one health care assistant for seven women and their babies. This is not sufficient. My daughter's experience at St Thomas's wasn't even 'good enough', let alone good. If she has any more children she will definitely not choose to give birth at this hospital.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 24 June 2017

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Worst experience of my life

Had a horrific experience here. Every single appointment we had for prenatal care was severely delayed and staff were very rude when explanations were asked for as to why this was. The attitude seemed to be 'be grateful you're here''. You can never get hold of anyone by phone for appointments, questions etc including antenatal classes which I ended up not being able to attend as they never contacted me back regarding available appointments.

Waters broke but was sent home, returned when they told me to and as a result contracted an infection that required my baby and I to be in hospital all week. Had to have an emergency c-section despite the hospital knowing we had put things in place to try and reduce the risk of this (was scheduled to be induced early); hospital dragged their feet with the induction, once induction was established it took 5 hours to successfully administer an epidural and within minutes was informed the baby and I were both distressed and would need an emergency c section.

The after care was an absolute joke. Some midwives were downright rude but the majority were just overworked. When I asked for help I was informed that there is just one midwife and maternity support worker per 8 women and I was being unrealistic. I'd been transferred from a high dependency unit after being told they needed the bed space and so it is probably the case I needed to be on that ward but they needed space for a lady coming out of theatre.

I was sent home finally...only to be sent back the next day by a community midwife because my baby was badly jaundiced and needed blood tests (despite 3 neonatal checks performed by special baby doctors before I was discharged that didn't pick this up). When I got to the hospital for blood tests I was asked to breastfeed/express for my baby in a cramped room being used by parents of neonatal unit babies for dining in...felt extremely uncomfortable and exposed at a time when I was already weak and nervous.

This was my first child and although I definitely have no plans for any more, if I were to have another baby I would absolutely not choose St Thomas'.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 10 July 2017

Lizzy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Perfect birth experience

I can't recommend the experience of the maternity service enough. Such a professional, friendly and genuinely committed team. We were looked after from the very first appointment and used the phone service when labouring at home for advice which was brilliant. Birthing pool was available and every part of labour was explained clearly and respectfully. We welcomed our first child with such supportive and caring team around us. Second opinions were gathered when needed. Staff introduced themselves discretly and with upmost professionalism. Excellent facilities and we felt well looked after, ready to leave when everything was ok and feeding established. Fantastic work thank you!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 06 July 2017

Div gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Excellent labour and post-natal care

I am so thankful to all the staff at St. Thomas' maternity ward. I am recovering from a long labour and emergency c-section as i write this.

I am incredibly impressed with the dedication of the staff here. All the midwives in the labour and delivery wards as well as the antenatal care units are really good. They show no urgency to get the bed free for the next patient. They explain things in great detail. I was especially impressed with the help i received for breast feeding.

The only downside is that the hospital is very busy but in spite of that, the quality of care is never compromised. Yes, it does require a bit of patience but when there is an emergency, you can count on being the topmost priority and being in the best hands possible.

Thank you and i will be sure to recommend your fabulous services.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 April 2017

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 30 May 2017

Dear Div, Thank you for your feedback about your care on our maternity ward last month. We are pleased to hear that you felt well cared for through out your pregnancy, staff explained things well and you didn't feel rushed in spite of the busy nature of the unit. We have passed your feedback on to the team involved.

Maternity care - not good

I learned I was pregnant in very early Dec and told my GP I would like to have my baby at St Thomas'. GP referred me 9th Dec, I heard nothing for a few weeks re a 12 week scan and then forgot about it over Xmas as I was home in Ireland. Sadly I miscarried and lost my baby At 8 weeks. I contacted my GP and explained what happened, I also mentioned in early Jan that I hadn't even heard from the hospital about my first scan, I tried to call several times tp cancel but couldn't get through. I assumed they lost the referral and left it at that, I was also mourning my loss. Suddenly on the 11th Feb I got a text reminder for my first scan on the 17th Feb and first antenatal appointment. I also got got two letters through the post on the 14th confirming these appointments. I was shocked and angry how firstly I would be given less than a weeks notice for my first scan and secondly offered one at 14 weeks which I would have been at this stage had I not lost the baby. I called to inform the hospital and they were so rude, wondering why I was cancelling! Like it was my fault.
So disappointing and insensitive, guess it adds to the long list of complaints people have on this hospital.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 28 February 2017

St Thomas' replied on 02 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us following what was clearly a very distressing experience. Over the Christmas and New Year period we did have problems with women being able to obtain referrals for scans which the team have worked to try and resolve. We are so sorry to hear that you lost your baby and received a text reminder and two appointment letters for a scan appointment after this. We would like to apologise sincerely for the distress this caused you during a very difficult time. It is unacceptable that the staff were rude to you when you called to cancel the appointment and did not seem to appreciate why you needed to do this. We have shared this feedback with the team so that we can learn from this and avoid causing distress to women in a similar situation in the future.

7days of nightmare gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

7 Days Of Nightmare

7 Days Of Night Mare
1- week no bathe for the babies
2- mother with twins ,and she was on labour for 17 hours ,after cesarean she been put with two people how she can have rest and recover, she didn't sleep for 7 night well
3- We have to beg to have milk for top up after breast feed ,because she was exhausted after cesarean and 17 hours labour
4- after 7 day no bounty pack we have been asking every body no one knows they play the ignorance
5- we been condescending from staff
6-The birth of a child should be a wonderful life,it is the privilege to care for women, babies at these formative times.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 13 March 2017

St Thomas' replied on 10 April 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are concerned to read about the experience your family have had on our ward. Our postnatal ward can be very busy and sometimes it is not always as quiet as we would like it to be. We are working to try and introduce measures to reduce noise at night-time. We are sorry to hear that you had to ask for milk: although the staff promote and support breastfeeding, bottled milk is available for women who require it. We would like to apologise that staff were condescending to you and that you did not receive a bounty pack. These are distributed by a Bounty representative who attends the ward on most days so it is most unfortunate that you did not receive one. If you would like to discuss this in more detail you would be welcome to contact out PALS team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk and they will be able to liaise with the department on your behalf.

Antenatal Care

Not much to add to previous reviews but I am in a similar position whereby after 5 weeks since referral I have not had any communication from the hospital and have not been able to contact the hospital - all my calls either go to voicemail or to a recorded message stating that the mailbox is full. Perhaps if the unit is understaffed, GPs should be advised not to refer pregnant patients to this unit for the time being, particularly given the time sensitivities of various scans and tests.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 January 2017

FishyMoo gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Antenatal Care

After reading the reviews everyone else has left I still chose St. Thomas' as my hospital to be. I was saddened when I was still waiting for a referral letter for the 12 week scan after a fortnight and a half which is when I decided to enquire. I emailed PALS and suggested and they were great to get back to me within one working day however I still hadnt heard from the antenatal team. I then called the team directly and was amazed I could leave a message as other people have said the voicemail box is full. Even more amazing is a midwife called me back within 5 minutes and was an absolute star. The midwife put me through to the appointments team and also gave me a bit of an insight of what to expect from the first scan. When passed to appointments, they too were great. They took 2.5 weeks to get an appointment for me and then you need to add on some time for the letter to reach you. I guess like the whole of the NHS, they are over worked and are trying to get through as much as possible in a working day. Be patient but I really do believe they are trying to do as much as they can.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 24 January 2017

St Thomas' replied on 13 February 2017

Thank you for sharing you feedback with us. We wodul like to apologise for the problems you experienced when trying to arrange the appoint,ment for your 12 week scan but are pleased to hear that you were able to leave a message and a member of the team got back to you. The team has been working hard to remedy the problem of contacting the department and now that they team is almost back to full strength we hope that it will be easier for women to contact the department in the future, We have passed your feedback on to the maternity team.