St Thomas'

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

254 total | 40 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Charles & Cassandra gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Great hypnobirthing experience - home from home birth centre

Just wanted to thank all of the staff at the home from home birthing centre for the fantastic care that we received during the labour and birthing of our daughter.

As soon as we arrived we let the midwife team know that we were practising hypno-birthing and our midwife could not have supported us better or more appropriately. Together we all managed to keep the room quiet, relaxing and peaceful, whilst still being reassured that we had excellent care around us if any problems did occur.

Everyone we came in contact with was very good at communicating what they were going to do and to make sure that we were comfortable with it before they did anything.

A particular thanks to the staff for supporting us superbly, and for being incredibly calm but at the same time exuding confidence. We always felt that we were in expert and caring hands.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 May 2015

St Thomas' replied on 28 May 2015

I am glad to read that you had such a positive experience of the Home from Home Birthing Centre. Thank you for taking the time to share these kind comments; they are much appreciated by the staff you have mentioned.

David gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

St Thomas, Birth Center, Antenatal Clinic, Postnatal Unit.

Hi, we're first time parents, after my wife became pregnant GP admitted us to local hospital and after multiple dissapoitments in Antenatal Clinic of our local hospital we did online research about London hospitals and their maternity units. Hospital with one of the highest rank we found was St Thomas hospital, around 20 miles away from home and our local hospital is 5min walk from home. At 25 week of the pregnancy we self referred to St Thomas and were accepted. Antenatal Clinic booked for us first appointment to see midwife. We filled necessary paper work. Antenatal Clinic booked for us ultrasound Scans, and parental classes, Birth classes, Labour classes, we didn't miss even one appointment nor class as everything St Thomas was offering was very interesting and useful. We were given phone numbers to midwife, Birth clinic, home from home clinic and could call anytime we needed to ask a question. At 40 + 2 days my partner got diarrhea we called hospital and midwife said to come we stayed night and day at the hospital and went home, at 40+5 my wife when she woke up told me there's a blood on her pad and we both got scared I called St Thomas again and midwife after asking questions said we should call an ambulance, we knew ambulance won't take us to St Thomas but local hospital, I booked a taxi and quickly went to St Thomas my wife was admitted to birth clinic and we stayed there. We were told by one of the midwifes that my wife will stay until birth, midwife checked baby and cervix it was open less than 3cm with the time midwife broke waters. Greenish water was coming out and we were told it was baby poo. I was just constantly asking if everything will be OK and was always assured it will. My wife started having strong contractions and I saw she was in a lot of pain. The only pain relief she tried was gas but she didn't like it. She wanted epidural but when the second time midwife looked at cervix 4h later it was already open 10cm. We resigned from epidural as the baby was about to come out. I myself left the room I'm scared of blood and didn't want to faint and midwife with the doctor was taking birth. It took around 10 min more for the baby to be born. I went quietly back to the room my wife was lying on the bed and crying from happiness, myself too. Midwife cleaned our little princess. We were transferred to postnatal clinic and stayed in the hospital until evening next day. And our baby was measured and checked up.
I would like to thank from the whole of my heart to staff who so professionally took care of my wife and our baby. Everyone was always smiling and was friendly, every question asked we always got an answer. If you want quality and professional care if you want friendly people around you, cleanliness please try St Thomas hospital and you won't be disappointed.

Once more Thank You for taking care of my wife and our daughter and God bless.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant clinical care and emotional support

I had my son at St Thomas' on 25/05/15 via emergency CS after being induced two days before. I was initially admitted to the home from home ward where the midwives assigned to me were extremely caring and supportive. After a slow labour I was moved to the birth centre where a complication was spotted by one amazing midwife. A team of doctors and nurses swung in to action, with one in particular taking fast, decisive steps. A team of many - all of whom offered care beyond expectation - safely delivered my son via a neat c-section which has healed ahead of schedule.

Post natal care was similarly excellent thanks to expert midwives with great bedside manner.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Clapham Caseload Team - Amazing

My husband and I were thrilled with the care from the Midwife team during the recent birth of our daughter at St Thomas' We are Canadian originally so were unsure about the maternity processes here in the UK. We were 100% satisfied and thrilled with the entire process and the wonderful staff at St Thomas'
We were exceptionally happy with the Midwife from the Clapham Case load team that delivered our daughter. The midwife was extremely professional, calm and comforting during the whole process end to end.
Thank you!!!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 27 June 2015

First class antenatal care

The obstetric medicine team at st Thomas's is excellent. I couldn't have asked for better care during both my first and second pregnancies which were blighted by severe hyperemesis. The clinical excellence, kindness and reassurance from the doctor and their team were first class and they held my hand through every week of my difficult pregnancy giving me the best possible treatments and helping ensure the safe delivery of both my children. I delivered my first baby at Tommy's and had I been nearer second time around would have chosen to do so again. Would highly recommend for any expectant mum. Thank you Tommy's team.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

St Thomas' replied on 03 June 2015

I was happy to learn that both of your pregnancies were managed with such kindness and professionalism at St Thomas’ Hospital. The Obstetric Medicine team were very touched by your thanks. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

klaudius and paulina gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely brilliant

Our baby was delivered in the theater following emergency situation and although it was extremely stressful for us all the medical personnel was superb. All emergencies have instant response, parents are informed on all stages of the process and advised In a very clear manner. Finally thanks to the quality of medical treatment and expertise delivered by St Thomas midwifes and doctors mum and baby have recovered very quicKly. We Are very grateful and would definitely recommend St Thomas maternity care to everyone.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015

St Thomas' replied on 29 April 2015

Thank you for your kind comments, which will give much encouragement to the hard-working staff in St Thomas’ Maternity Services. I am very glad to read that you and your family received the treatment and support you needed at this difficult time. I have shared your comments with the senior nursing staff responsible for Maternity Services, who in turn will share with their teams and medical colleagues.

Excellent care - thank you

Just wanted to thank you for a wonderful experience in hospital birth. I had an excellent midwife and felt really cared for. Initially I wanted epidural but ended up without it, and felt so proud. My midwife was truly exceptional, made me believe in myself and gave me all the support I needed. The doctors were caring, the rooms clean and well equipped, the food tasty, not to mention the wonderful views :). I am so happy to have chosen this hospital. It is all about people who care and take good care of you. Could not have wished for more.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 01 June 2015

St Thomas' replied on 03 June 2015

I am very sorry to learn that you are facing such a long wait for your next appointment. From your comments, it sounds as if you were given this information in an abrupt manner and with little explanation, rather than with the sensitivity that was needed under the circumstances. For this I apologise on behalf of the hospital. I am sure that the Early Pregnancy Unit would welcome the opportunity to investigate what happened on this occasion, to make sure that all frontline staff give news to patient in an appropriate manner in future.

It may be that there is information or support that can be given while you wait for your next appointment, which may answer some of your questions and provide reassurance. If you would like to have a conversation about these issues with a member of clinical (medical or nursing) staff but no longer have their direct contact details, I hope you will contact PALS on 020 7188 8801 or at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Elena gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

ADU- avoid at all costs

On Monday 2nd March 2015 at 3pm I arrived at ADU as I have had a lot of watery discharge and was worried that my waters have broken or that I was leaking and the risk of infection.
By 1030pm I was still waiting to be seen and every time I asked what my number was in the queue the number was increasing.
I didn't mind waiting at first as there were other women in the corridor who have been there longer than me and clearly in labour as they were trying to walk off their contractions and they still haven't been seen, at least I wasn't in pain. After midwifes heard them moan and groan they would come up to them and ask if they were feeling like pushing, to which these poor women replied that they didn't and the midwifes were saying to them that they would try and find them a bed soon. I honestly could not believe this was possible in this country. I watched a number of midwife shift changed and I was still sitting there waiting to be seen.
After 7.5 hours of leaking water I complained about not being seen to which all I was offered was a sanitary pad, as well as another woman who thought that her waters had broken.
The midwifes were so understaffed and so unable to cope with the large number of women that day that one of then burst out crying and ran out of the ward.
This was like a bad day in Bosnia and by 1030pm I burst out crying myself about worrying that my baby was in danger and this was because there are no beds!
St. Thomas Hospital does not have any plan in place to cope with this increased demand and all I was told was that this is an emergency unit and they see women in terms of their priority which is understandable, however after a number of midwife shifts changed they really didn't have an idea of who was a priority amongst huge pile of orange books stacked in a pile and I had to explain myself again to a midwife who had no clue what i was there for and insist that I was seen after 7.5hr wait as my water might have broken. I have been to an A&E department before but never had to wait for over 7.5hrs! I am now dreading having my baby there as those other poor women who had to labour in the corridor where the temperature is so hot and unbearable! There was no pain relief available and those labouring women were simply neglected due to very limited resources and poor management of the maternity ward. I am nearly 37 weeks pregnant and I will not be back at St. Thomas Hospital as the consultant clearly explained that this is such a busy hospital ad they can not guarantee me the basic level of expected care as well as the bed and any pain relief!

Stay away from this hospital as it can not cope with the demand! There is no point in their wonderful equipment if there are only 6 beds available on the ADU unit... Very sad state of this famous hospital....

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 12 March 2015

St Thomas' replied on 13 March 2015

The Matron responsible for ADU has read your comments and has given the following response:

‘I can only apologise for your very distressing experience.

ADU is like an emergency service and it can be very difficult for us to predict the number of women who will come to ADU. On a normal day, we assess around 40 women a day. We have a 4 hour acceptable wait and we do investigate and escalate as a risk (communicate to the most senior level for urgent action) each time we breach that waiting time. On that particular day we did breach our waiting time and this has been highlighted as a risk.

On this day, 75 women were seen in ADU between 8am and 8pm and a further 15 during the first part of the night. This day has been for us the busiest ever in ADU. The staff were under huge pressure looking after the unexpected volume of admissions. This was escalated on the day and every senior member of staff was involved in trying to keep the place as safe as possible.

I am very sorry that your only experience of ADU has been on the busiest day ever. We are continuously looking at how to improve the service. Part of the plans are to encourage women to call the phone line before coming as some advice can be given over the phone. For some conditions, the GP or the community midwife could be the first point of contact. Asking women to call before coming could also help us to anticipate the workload. We are in the process of designing a leaflet to explain what ADU is about and what to expect when coming.

We can assure you that the issues that arose on this busiest day are in the process of being investigated.

I hope you will accept our sincere apology.’

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Some excellent care but one put me at risk

I had bleeding in early pregnancy and received excellent care from the Early pregnancy unit where I was diagnosed with a blood clot.

At my twelve week scan I asked if the size of the clot had changed the sonographer informed me 'it was of no consequence to them as they were only interested in baby'. When my partner asked a couple of questions the sonographer told him to be quiet and let them do their job. It ruined what should have been a special experience.

A few weeks later I had a large bleed with a clot the size of my fist and was admitted for five days. I feel that with a little more care even if not avoided I would have been more prepared and wouldn't have gone through the agonising worry that I did.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 05 July 2015

Debbie S gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

reassuring, friendly and professional staff

I attended the Early Pregnancy Unit in January because I was concerned about some spotting. I was given a scan. The experience was a very positive one. I was seen fairly quickly and kept informed throughout the whole process. Everyone was professional and friendly, which helped me relax during a stressful situation. The sonographer was also sensitive - I was given a scan photo but advised to keep it out of sight on the way out as not everyone there receives good news. Having a walk-in EPU for emergencies is very reassuring. I would like to thank the staff for their care and professionalism and I would recommend the unit to anyone in a similar position.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

St Thomas' replied on 27 February 2015

I am delighted to learn that you received such compassionate and professional care at the Early Pregnancy and Acute Gynaecology Unit (EPAG). Your kind comments have been shared with the Matron and senior nurses responsible for EAPG who were very appreciative and will in turn share your comments with their team. Thank you for taking then time to tell us about your experience.