St Thomas'

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

192 total | 18 found in Maternity service Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Emergency visit to antenatal day unit

I visited the antenatal day unit on the 9th September as I was experiencing symptoms that required emergency attention. On arrival the midwife asked me about 4 questions and told me to sit down and that there was likely to be a long wait as they were extremely busy. I found the whole experience extremely stressful as I was there under emergency circumstances but did not feel I was being treated as such and it took over 4 hours to get seen. At one point I really broke down sobbing and a kind midwife came over. I explained I was terrified that my baby was in serious danger and again she just said sorry we are very busy. They kept telling people to go away and have lunch which I found ridiculous as nobody cares about eating when they are in an emergency. There weren't even enough seats so my husband had to stand for over six hours in total. I would not revisit this centre under any circumstances.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

St Thomas' replied on 22 September 2014

I am very sorry to learn of the distress you experienced at the Antenatal Day Unit. The Matron responsible for the day unit has been informed and will use the feedback you have given to investigate what occurred on 9th September. If you would like to talk through your experience with the Matron or a member of her team, please contact PALS, who will be happy to liaise on your behalf, by phoning 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

This hospital is too busy if you're pregnant Avoid

Firstly all the staff we came in contact with were really lovely but there is not enough staff or room in this hospital..if you are looking on here to decide which hospital is best to have your baby id say please try and find another hospital that isnt in central London. They have excellent facilities & technology but just know that you will be taking the risk that when you go in there will be no one to see you and no room for you. 3 weeks on it's effected me so deeply that it still upsets me and has put me off ever having children again and I would consider adopting instead. My waters broke when I was in bed on Sunday evening. I called up & they said to come in..I was there by 4am and saw a midwife & they told be to come back at 10pm Monday night if no contractions had started they will induce me but when i called up that night they said come in in the morning instead. It was so busy there on this day (Tuesday 16th September) that I waited 3 hours before seeing anyone in a really hot waiting room where there were not enough seats for everyone. I saw a lovely midwife who checked me over & said all was good but still no one to induce me so I stayed in waiting room a few hours more and then they said I can have a bed on the antenatal day ward while they find me my own room and get someone to induce me. So now it's Tuesday night and im still in limbo. My boyfriend wanted to come in but on the antenatal ward you're only allowed visitors until 8pm so I said you wait at home and as soon as I have a room and someone can see me come in and bring my hospital bag. At midnight I started feeling mild contractions & I was happy that i wouldnt need to be induced. Now im a first time mum so it was all new to me...i knew once contractions start i would still have a good while until the actual birth.My boyfriend was on standby. I waited in bed, in a dark room sharing with other girls, trying to stay still and not make any noise each time I got a contraction. Once the pain was getting harder to manage I went out into the dimly lit corridor and told the lady on reception. She told me to "potter around" By 4am I couldnt lie down it was so painful i was all alone and really frightened I went out into the corridor but there was no one around. A midwife came eventually & gave me some painkillers and then at 6am she said if i wanted an epidural (which originally i didnt but feeling this pain I now did) but she didnt think there was anyone that could do it and still no room! I had to press panic button no one came for a while. At 8am, by now i was in a state shaking all over, crying & basically screaming out for help. At 8am the day staff start their shift & i was checked for first time to see how dilated i was & told "if you push your baby will come out" I soon got a room then! Within 1 hour 50 mins my baby was born and my boyfriend missed it as i was in too much pain to even use my phone. I did it all by myself and was really traumatic. Thank god for gas and air!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 October 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience of giving birth at St Thomas.’ I am very sorry that the birth of your first baby at St Thomas’ was such a distressing experience and I hope you will accept the hospital’s apologies for that experience. You have raised some important issues about care and communication with patients during the night shift that will be looked into by the Matron and her team. If it would be helpful to discuss your time at St Thomas’ with the Matron or one of her colleagues, please contact PALS, who would be happy to liaise on your behalf. PALS can be contacted by telephone on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8801 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Suzan O gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Had my first baby in St Thomas' in August 2014. As it was my first baby I was really desperate, afraid but the care and attention I've got during my stay in hospital made me consider having another baby-only at St Thomas'!

The labour was not a simple or an easy one: my water broke but no contractions came so I was sent to the hospital on a Tuesday morning. Had to wait long until they could examine me, but as my case was not an emergency I understood this waiting time. They said I have to stay in but have to wait to have an empty bed. was waiting from mid-day until 6 pm - long waiting time, but thanks to the restaurant in the hospital and the nice little park in front the time was spent all right.

Tuesday night was induced and had my baby only Wednesday afternoon by forceps delivery.
During my stay met lot of midwives , nurses, doctors...whom I did not even remembered , but their friendly approach made me feel good,respected and safe, even if I met them after I gave birth.
All my questions were answered, included me in all the action, decision....everything was explained, discussed and agreed before they did it. This made me really feel comfortable. My husband is a doctor and the fact that he could stay with me all through the labour was fantastic. And my Mom was with me as well! having extra support from family means a lot- beside the professional care.

Was afraid of epidural, but after having unbearable pain for long hours I asked for it- they have explained it but nothing was forced on me...everything that happened was my decision.All went well with it, the anaesthetic did a great job.

Most of the nurses, midwives, doctor's name can't remember- the gas and the painkillers knocked me out and made me dizzy....(sorry) but special thanks to the member of staff who staid with me on my day of labour- she even sacrificed her own free time, staid little overtime with me after labour to give support, bring me food and just discuss how things went and what can I expect now.
She is a really special midwife-she takes her job very seriously. I think she is really devoted to what she is doing. God bless her and all the team who has taken care of my baby and me! Doctors did a brilliant job by the delivery and episiotomy. Tried to help me to give birth naturally- avoiding CS-which I'm really thankful for!

The post natal ward was different-4 women + babies in one room....unfortunately some of the women were sick, babies crying-so this was really exhausting, couldn't rest. Could not be seen next day by the paediatrician so had to stay an extra day for my baby to be checked before they could discharge us-but have to understand they are extremely busy and still providing an excellent service! Of course, at the end of the day midwives are still human, they might not be smiling 24/7 , they might be late bringing you things that you have asked for, but always treat you with respect!

Could go on and on and reached maximum characters
all in 2 words: Thank you St. Thomas'

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 September 2014

St Thomas' replied on 29 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of St Thomas’ maternity services. I am glad to learn that, despite the challenging circumstances, your experience of giving birth at was such a positive one. I am especially glad to learn that the care and compassion you received from staff was as high as we would expect and that you were kept informed and reassured throughout your stay. Your comments have now been shared with the Matrons responsible for maternity service, who were very encouraged to receive them and will in turn share your comments with their teams.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Not as good as expected

After an amazing antenatal care I had to face a terrible experience on the actual birth.
I had to be induced ( iugr and low amniotic fluid) and my consultant booked me in for an induction right after the visit as it had to be done ASAP. On the day they put me in the antenatal ward saying they are getting my bed ready in the hospital birth center. 5 days went past and I was sill waiting for this bed. Spoke with many midwifes and doctors and everyone was saying a different thing. The doctor very rudely one day said < it's not because ur consultant said ASAP that we have to induce you ASAP > I found it out of order! Finally I get transferred to the hospital birth center and the induction start at 10 am. A 4 pm the midwife comes to visit me and said I was 1 cm even tho I was already in pain. At 6 I was visited again and said I was 3 cm and it was goin to be very long as it was my first baby. I made it very clear I wanted and early epidural as I was extremely scared. I was begging for it without any response. By 7:15 I was saying I had to push and the pain was extremely bad but my midwife ignored me and said I was goin to be visited at 10:30 pm as it was too early; than the midwife managed to get someone for my epidural. I was screaming I had to push but no one listened so they put the epidural. At 8 the midwife changed and the new one (who I will never thank enough) looked at me and decided to visit me. I was 10 cm. at 8:20 pm my baby was born. Conclusions:
1- I had a tube put into my back when I was already 10 cm because the midwife decided not to visit me and assumed I was goin to take long as it was my first baby. Out of order considering the risks of an epidural.
2- I had waited 5 days for the induction eva use there was no beds and some rude doctor decided I wasn't urgent anymore ( after I sped all my pregnancy dying growth scan every 2 weeks) and considering the birth weight and the last scan weight my baby didn't grow last week. Out of order!
I would not have another baby in there meet again!!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 August 2014

I was concerned to learn of the issues you have raised about your care and treatment in St Thomas’ Maternity department, and the attitude of staff that you experienced. The Matrons and Service Manager responsible for these areas have been informed of your experiences and will aim to understand more about what occurred on this occasion and how they could prevent such a distressing experience in the future. If you would like to make contact with the Maternity services to receive a personal response to your concerns, please make contact with PALS on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803 or pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Laura F gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Extremely impressed

I had my baby at St. Thomas's on Saturday 14th June. I was treated with great respect from beginning to end. The quality of staffing was, in my opinion, exceptional. In particular my midwife.

I had my baby in the Birth Centre and was struggling with the pain (after 24 hours of latent labour) by the time I arrived. I requested an epidural immediately and was given one within 30 minutes. The midwives were conscientious and attentive throughout and I had a very good delivery. I would highly recommend this hospital and am so grateful to everyone there for making my experience so good.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 16 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 June 2014

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of giving birth at St Thomas’ Birth Centre. I am glad to hear that the staff treated you with the attentiveness and sensitivity we would expect and that your pain relief was managed well. You comments have been shared with the Matron responsible for the Birth Centre, who will be pleased to share your comments with the whole team

Gul gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 3 stars

Very bad service, horrible staff!

Antenatal Day Unit is very inefficient. In all of the three cases I had to attend this unit with excessive pain, I had to wait between 4-5 hours to be seen by a nurse. Result : Nothing
Because they are so busy, they don't even do specific tests or scans you should normally get when you are pregnant.
Very very disappointing!
I am on my last stage of pregnancy and really hoping that I can change my hospital before the labour as I do not trust this hospital at all at the moment!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 21 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 04 July 2014

I was concerned to learn of your experiences in the Antenatal Day Unit. The Service Manager and the midwives who work in the Unit would be grateful for the opportunity to learn more about what has gone wrong so that they can put things right as soon as possible. If you do not have the contact details for a member of staff at the Unit then I hope you will contact PALS on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Michaela gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

wonderful care from start to finish

I wanted to express my utter praise and absolute gratitude for the amazing service received from the St Thomas Maternity team right from the beginning of my pregnancy through to giving birth 4 weeks ago. Until falling pregnant I had not experienced the greatest of service from the NHS (I must admit, i was not the greatest fan) however the care received from St Thomas' & supporting community midwifery team was simply outstanding in every way.

Every team encountered was patient, kind and provided the best possible medical support I could wish for:

- The nurse/midwife team at the EPU (in particular one member of staff who was so understanding time after time) provided me with such support, time and kindness when i had several frightening bouts of bleeding in early pregnancy

- The fantastic medical support from the obstetricians (the doctor and her team) and supporting midwives throughout the pregnancy/delivery

- The amazing anaesthetist and his team who managed, at the eleventh hour, to turn around the original C section plan of having to give me a general anaesthetic by succeeding in giving me a Spinal Block instead (which initially seemed unlikely to work due to complicated spinal issues)...resulting in both my partner & I being conscious & present for our son's birth - such a wonderful and unexpected surprise

- The midwives in both the Birth Centre and the Post Natal Ward who were supportive and wonderful day and night throughout my stay

Thank you all so so much, I will be recommending St Thomas' to everyone I know.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 24 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 04 July 2014

I am delighted to learn that you have had such a positive experience of pregnancy and childbirth at St Thomas’ hospital and from the community midwifery team. Your kind comments have now been shared with the staff in all teams, who are very encouraged to receive them.

DP gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Great antenatal horrible postnatal service

I had my baby in April 2014 due to the high reputation I selected this hospital even though it was not part of my catchment area.
The service was great from Antenatal until I had the baby.
The postnatal service was horrible I had two very rude midwives on the first night after my first C-Section and wasn't offered much support or care. After ringing the help buzzer many time when my baby was chocking no one came to help and I had to drag myself and mess up my stitches to carry my baby.
When asked help with breastfeeding and nappy changing I was given instructions in a rude manner with sarcastic comments.
I am not sure if I would recommend or want to have a baby at this hospital again.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 08 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 09 October 2014

I am glad to learn that you experienced excellent antenatal care from St Thomas’ Hospital but am very sorry to learn about your experience of postnatal care. Your feedback has now been shared with the Matron responsible for postnatal care, who is concerned by your description of the midwives and has informed all of her senior nursing staff. The issues from your feedback will be raised with all midwives in their next team meetings.

The hospital is unable to respond in more detail to your experience without being able to identify you - and therefore identify the staff you have described. If you would like your experience to be investigated, I hope you will make contact through the hospital’s Patient advice and liaison service (PALS). PALS can be contacted by telephone on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or via email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

5 star Maternity care

Having recently delivered my first child at St Thomas' I can't thank the antenatal, delivery and post natal staff enough. I can not fault the nursing staff (the post natal receptionist is another matter; the women working on the afternoon of 8/3/14 was extremely rude to patients, visitors and verging on disrespectful to our midwife) they were amazing, the continuity of care was fantastic. People in general are too quick to criticise our maternity services and you never hear enough people championing a great experience, which is exactly what I had.

The facilities, rooms and clinics were spotlessly clean, modern and welcoming. A real breath of fresh air! I came away feeling elated and well cared for.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 20 March 2014

St Thomas' replied on 25 March 2014

We were absolutely delighted to receive your positive feedback and will ensure it is shared with department staff. We were however, very sorry to hear about the postnatal receptionist on duty at the time and will ensure this is looked into. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@gstt.nhs.uk or by calling 0207188 8801 so we can investigate this matter further.

crmnfc25 gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Horrible maternity experience at St Thomas Hospital

This was my first pregnancy and i picked St Thomas due to the good reputation of the hospital. I really wish i didnt now. Firstly my labour was 4 days!! As a result of being sent home 3 times. I was constantly told first labour can be quite long, which i never disputed. But if the nurses would have done their job properly they would have investigated my prolonged labour and found that my babies head was not in the right position to give birth vaginally. There are so many bad points about my labour care at this hospital that i could spend hours writing about, its ridiculous. My baby was then finally monitored at the day unit and they found that his heartbeat was dipping with every contraction, and that is the only reason they admitted me. God only knows what would have happened to him and me if this wasnt the case. I was then given drugs to speed up my contractions, in which my babies heartbeat had stopped for a brief second or two whilst on the monitor. The midwife had to press the emergency button, when a handful of other midwives ran into the room. They then needed to scrape my babies head inside the womb to check the blood from his head and see what level his oxygen was. This is around 10 hours after my waters had broken and my waters were filled with the babies poo, which was obvious signs of distress! I felt like so many things could have been avoided and anyway as a result of the bad lack of judgement i had to have an emergency c-section whilst being completely exhausted. Im suprised i made it through the surgery, seen as my blood plalet count was considerably low also. So after 4 days labour my son was born. Thank God he was healthy. But he was very swollen around his face area, which has gone down now. I knew that it was from all the stress of the labour on him. But it doesnt end there, the after care was utterly disgusting! The room i was put in was pipping hot! Other mothers complained too, the midwive just said its fine. Most of the midwives had no care in the world and took ages to get back to you for things you asked for, including baby milk. I no help getting out bed after my c-section, not even help to pull my baby accross the hall to see the doctor. My sheets werent even changed!. I even developed an infection which i was given antibiotics for but never told what the infection was. Then on my discharge day, i had to wait 8 hours in another room to be discharged, cause they were busy and needed my bed space.

Put it this way i would never ever return to have another baby at St thomas. Im highly disappointed and feel lucky to be alive and my baby too.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 08 July 2014

St Thomas' replied on 22 July 2014

I apologise for the hospital’s delay in responding to your comments on the maternity unit and postnatal ward at St Thomas’ Hospital. The issues you have raised have now been investigated by Ms Manjit Roseghini and Ms Sally Trotter, Matrons for the services where these issues occurred. The Matrons have provided this response:

The postnatal ward and maternity unit staff fully understand how vulnerable women may feel during and after childbirth and pride themselves on the support offered to women, their families and their new baby. They recognise the difference that good care can make to the woman’s experience and how this impacts on her relationship with her baby. I am so sorry you did not receive this level of support and that you were made to feel you were a nuisance. The issues you have raised in your review have been discussed with all the staff on in both locations to improve the standard of care provided.

Following internal reviews of the service, staffing levels have been revised since you had your baby and that there are now more midwives on duty. We are also considering increasing the number of MSWs (midwifery support workers) in order to provide additional support.

We apologise that the midwives did not response to your complaint that the room was too hot: this part of the hospital had problems with the heating system in February, which have now been repaired. The ward is also in the process of purchasing fan so that the room temperature is maintained. We encourage patients to keep curtains open to allow the airflow from the vents to circulate which are located by the windows

I apologise for the frustrating delay you had when waiting to be discharged. It is normal practice to go through the discharge pack with a group of women on the ward to use time efficiently and then for your information to be entered into the computer system. However, there are occasions on the postnatal ward where this can be delayed due to the high activity on the ward and this should have been explained to you at the time. We have acknowledged that the process could be much smoother, and the ward sister Ms Murphy is currently working on a project to improve the efficiency of the discharge process.

I understand that you experienced communication from the obstetric team towards yourself as poor and that you were caused unnecessary stress by not being kept informed. The obstetrician in charge of your case would have reviewed you and confirmed if you had an infection by reviewing your blood results. We apologises for not helping you to feel reassured at the time that all was well, and is sorry that you had such a stressful experience.

Your experiences during and after childbirth sound exhausting and frightening. It may be beneficial for you to talk these over with members of clinical (medical or nursing) staff who can help you to understand more about what happened on this occasion. If you would like to speak with either maternity or antenatal staff, please telephone the PALS team on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk, who will be happy to liaise on your behalf.