St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

300 total | 53 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Early pregnancy unit: felt so cared for

I was really upset when I arrived and every staff member was kind, offered me a quiet area if I needed it. When I saw the nurse they were reassuring without making false promises and the trainee scanner was excellent explaining everything and double checking with the supervisor. I know I would always feel able to go back if I had any concerns. Please pass on my thanks to all the staff

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 20 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you were treated with kindness and compassion by staff during what must have been a worrying time. We will pass your feedback on to the team.

Decemberbaby gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Hospital

We switched to st Thomas' from Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich when I was 20 weeks pregnant after a very disappointing experience.
Everything at St Thomas' was a polar opposite to what we had previously experienced. Clinics run on time, the hospital is clean and the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hospital is also very inclusive, which as a lesbian couple was very important to us.
I ended up having a relatively complicated pregnancy due to high blood pressure and at no point did I feel uninformed. I was always jncluded in decisions about my care and methods were fully explained to me always. I attended the ADU many times on instruction of the consultant (twice weekly BP monitoring) and as much as I always had to wait, I felt the service ran very smoothly and always felt well looked after. Even in labour I was treated with the utmost dignity and didbt at any point feel like I had lost control. The midwives who helped with the safe delivery of our daughter were absolutely incredible and made the experience a very positive one.
Great hospital. Would recommend to anyone and will always go back there any time we need anything.medical. Thanks St Thomas', for turning a bad maternity experience around!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your experience of treatment and care at our maternity unit was such a positive one. It helpful to know that you and your partner felt our approach was inclusive, you were treated with dignity and felt in control in spite of the complications with the birth. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.

Kat gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Great maternity services on the labour ward

We were admitted for an induction in the birthing unit and had to move to the labour ward when it was swiftly discovered that our baby was an unstable lie in the pelvis. On a busy night shift, we were really impressed by the personable care and team effort - the consultants and midwives followed up even after their shifts. Special thanks to the midwife, who represented our wishes and helped us make sound decisions, so we had delivery we wanted, despite complications.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you were impressed with the level of personalised care and effort that they went to follow up on the birth of your child following their birth. It good to know that the midwife supported you in decision making and represented your wishes to ensure that you had the delivery you wanted. We will pass your comment on to the team in Maternity Services.

Freya's Mummy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

A wonderful expereince

The Home from Home Birth Centre at St Thomas' has an excellent reputation so I had high expectations - I can honestly say that those were more than exceeded during the birth of our daughter in December 2015. I laboured at home, having practised hypno-birthing, yoga, relaxation and other drug-free pain relief techniques. I got to hospital fully dilated, was assessed and taken straight into the centre where I met our midwife. They were calm, friendly, caring, compassionate and I trusted them implicitly from the moment they put their face close to mine, introduced themself and asked how I was feeling. The pushing stage took longer than we had all anticipated. I knew the midwife had read our birth plan and knew we wanted to proceed as naturally and intervention-free as possible. So they tried various, low-impact techniques to move labour along: changing position, moving around, making me have a wee! They were was always gentle in their approach, coming close to me to say, "I have a suggestion, why don't we try,,,". I felt throughout that she completely understood me. We used Clary Sage, Jasmine massage from a colleague, an in/out catheter, frequent Jelly Babies fed to me by my husband! Eventually the midwife found a position for me that was more productive. Baby Freya arrived two hours after I arrived in hospital. The midwife even stopped me from tearing - not one single stitch! It was their experience, skill and professionalism that made our daughter's birth such a success - it was everything I hoped it would be. I felt valued, dignified and respected at all times. The post-birth hours were just as good. We were lucky enough to stay overnight in our own room. Our midwife had to leave and we were looked after by a variety of midwife team members who were unwaveringly friendly, supportive and hard-working. They helped us to get breastfeeding started and vigilantly made sure we were well before sending us home. All this and probably the best view anywhere in London! The NHS gets a right knocking - and that's wrong. Find me care better than this anywhere in the world. I feel lucky to have it - and am proud of what it does. Thank you to everyone at St Thomas Home from Home for bringing our daughter safely into the world and for allowing me the birth experience I had always hoped for.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 05 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you felt well supported, respected and treated with dignity throughout the birth and the midwife took your birth plan into account. It is good to know that your positive experience of care continued on the postnatal ward. We wodul like to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter Freya. We will share your feedback with the team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 3 stars

Disappointed with Midwifery care

Midwifery care poor. God my antibiotics late 2 days in a row.Observations done late. A friend asked a midwife if we could have flowers they said yes. When my friend bought the flowers we we then told we could not have flowers. I asked to speak the sister. When they came to see me they were aggressive asked why I wanted to see them. They did not even ask how I was if they could help me with anything. I was shocked at her approach at their level.

In addition I was scared as I was on bed rest. The shower was broken. I needed assistance to help me wash as I had to hold the shower and there was nowhere to put my toiletries that I could reach in addition I got the impression I had to make my own bed which needed changing as there were blood stains. The midwife said if I needed assistance I should not have a shower at all. I found them uncaring. They just gave lip service of caring but no action.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 20 November 2015

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience of care on our wards following the birth of your child. We would like to learn more about this so that we can discuss the care and communication issues with the staff team involved and pass on your suggestions regarding the environment to our Estates Team so that they can make the repairs needed. Please contact Lynne Pacanowski , Director of Midwifery to discuss this in more detail (email lynne.pacanowski@gstt.nhs.uk ) alternatively you could contact our PALS Team so that they can liaise with the department so that we can look into this further. Our PALS (patient advice and liaison service) team can be contacted by telephone 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk

K Smith gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Great hospital but often understaffed

I left Lewisham hospital at 28weeks to come to St Thomas as I preferred the hospital better having had treatment at the hospital before I thought I would be given better service though I am starting to re think this. I have been to ADU a good few times and have had to wait for several hours, my recent visit does top it off though. I was sent to the ADU by the doctor in the clinic. I arrived at 4.30pm and then had to wait until 20.20 until i was seen for basic checks I was then seen again at 21.40 to be put on the monitor and told I would have to see the doctor. I wasn't then seen by the doctor until 03.30. This is absolutely disgusting and I'm outraged that there was only one midwife on duty and one doctor who had to be called to urgent matters. Now all staff were great but I feel service is not delivered at the standard needed or set out due to lack of staff. After having to wait so long I had to leave the hospital so early in the morning heavily pregnant to make my way home after receiving a slow service which i also feel is irresponsible of the hospital too. With only 10 days left I fear I will be left like this again if i go into labour or need to me seen and feel to move back to Lewisham where the wait has never been this long. Really not happy. After all I do love this hospital.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 07 September 2015

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Maternity services at St Thomas'

Discrimination

I was admitted onto the antenatal ward after my waters broke at 36 weeks. I had to stay in overnight in order to be monitored. After being monitored for 24 hours with no sign of labour the doctor explained that because I'm not due until another 4 weeks why not just go home and wait until I am 37 weeks when baby is full term to come back in. Knowing that there is a possibility of my baby getting infection If I went home I refused this offer. I said I wanted to be induced. The doctor said that was fine and booked me in for induction.

I was then later met by a very rude midwife, not friendly! The midwife said they will be taking me over to the birth centre where they will proceed induction. Every time I asked the midwife a question they would fob me off as if I am stupid. I explained that this is my third pregnancy but I have never been induced before so I would like an epidural. The reply was "I reckon you can do it without an epidural you've done it twice before without one so why not do it again". The midwife then asked where was my first child born, I said jamaica. The midwife then asked, if you were in Jamaica would you have gotten an epidural? It was at that point I was completely put off! How rude. When I went to the toilet the midwife questioned my partner asked how long I've lived in the uk? Where is my mother? How long have my mom lived here? Do I look like an illegal immigrant? I have the Right to live and work in the UK! I work and pay my taxes just like everybody else and I am 1000% certain I am entitled to free nhs health care. With that being said, it was utterly rude, unprofessional and out of line for this midwife to talk down to me the way they did! I was admitted into the unit to give birth! Not to have me and my partner be interrogated by some nosey midwife asking all sorts of personal questions! And when I asked the midwife any question in regards to my care, the answers were always "that is a very tricky question" really?? Because the midwife that took over at 7pm later that day seem to answer all my questions perfectly fine, treated me with respect, made sure I had my epidural before I got the drip, monitored me regularly, and explained everything to me even when I didnt asked! Right up until my baby was delivered. It's been 2 weeks since I've had my baby and I still feel offended.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 14 September 2015

St Thomas' replied on 09 October 2015

We are very sorry that you had a negative encounter with one of our midwives when requesting epidural analgesia. This is unacceptable and we would like to investigate this further. Please contact Camella Main camella.main@gstt.nhs.uk (Patient Experience Lead, Women’s Services) so that this experience can be discussed in detail. We are glad that the midwife who looked after you on from 7pm gave you good care and that you were able to get an epidural. We would like to congratulate you on the birth of your baby and Camella looks forward to hearing from you soon.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Maternity service

I can't rate my experience of the home from home midwife service highly enough. The care I experienced was fantastic.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 10 October 2015

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

CCE gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Great customer care at the antenatal clinic.

I am 4 months pregnant and I have already had my first scan at St Thomas'. The person who performed the scan was absolutely brilliant, they made the experience one of the best ones ever.
I spoke several times to a member of staff regarding my midwife appointment who was not helpful whatsoever. Eventually I got through to someone who promised that someone would call me back asap. Five minutes I received a call and the person was able to resolve my issue in approximately 5m. Great customer service!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 01 September 2015

St Thomas' replied on 07 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your scan was such a positive experince and that you received a prompt response to your call regarding your appointment. We will pass your comments on to the team involved.

Elisabetta gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

excellent service throughout

we are very thankful to the Maternity home from home and birth centre teams for taking such excellent care of me, my partner and our baby born on 23rd July.

I was in hospital for almost a week through induction and c-section delivery and the staff was always attentive and caring.

Elisabetta and family

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 August 2015

St Thomas' replied on 24 August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that staff were so attentive and caring throughout your stay and labour. We will pass your comments on to the team in maternity services.