St Thomas'

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

195 total | 21 found in Maternity service Show all reviews

Anna gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Don't go if you want someone to take care of you during preg

I'm very disappointed! I'm having my second child at St Thomas (I'm still wondering why)
I am having few issues during my pregnancy. I called three weeks ago my midwife on call, no replay no call back. then I call the hospital. they said to go straight in the antenatal day unit as I was having cramps as it is urgent matter. I been told that I need to wait two hours, in the meanwhile cramps were very strong. after two hours there were still four people in front on me. As I have a daughter, I needed to leave and collect her from nursery without been seeing!!
Midwives just told me that it's up to me to leave and they are too busy and short in stuff. and that's happen all the time you go to the antenatal day unit!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

Grateful gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

EPU nurses and midwives are fantastic

After 5 miscarriages I had bleeding again this pregnancy and couldn't get hold of the recurrent miscarriage clinic at St Mary's on a w/e. I called up St thomas' Epu and spoke with a Nurse, who was very kind and said I could just go in for a scan.

I did go in on tuesday 21 oct after another tiny bleed, and all the nurses and staff were so kind. Scan nurse and Midwife were just fantastic. Thank you so much , I wasn't able to send a phone review as the service doesn't work but wanted to thank you all so much - I was so stressed and without you I think I would have just broken down. Excellent that this EPU is there, it's busy and there's a long wait but staff are just lovely. Thank you all so, so much.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Avoid when pregnant!

Changing from Royal London hospital to st Thomas is the biggest mistake I made. Some of the receptionist are soooo Rude treat you like dirt. Met a midwife and wanted to ask a question but just looked at me, and walked pass as soon as I said excuse me. Some of the staffs are nice. I have been booked for an induction two weeks prior to this day but I am still at home waiting for that almighty call to come in as there are no beds they said. St Thomas of all hospitals no bed???? I am worried about my baby as I have got Gdm and I am beginning to wonder if Gdm truly is dangerous if I have to wait another maybe a week before they get a bed ready for my induction as I will be 40weeks then.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

This hospital is too busy if you're pregnant Avoid

Firstly all the staff we came in contact with were really lovely but there is not enough staff or room in this hospital..if you are looking on here to decide which hospital is best to have your baby id say please try and find another hospital that isnt in central London. They have excellent facilities & technology but just know that you will be taking the risk that when you go in there will be no one to see you and no room for you. 3 weeks on it's effected me so deeply that it still upsets me and has put me off ever having children again and I would consider adopting instead. My waters broke when I was in bed on Sunday evening. I called up & they said to come in..I was there by 4am and saw a midwife & they told be to come back at 10pm Monday night if no contractions had started they will induce me but when i called up that night they said come in in the morning instead. It was so busy there on this day (Tuesday 16th September) that I waited 3 hours before seeing anyone in a really hot waiting room where there were not enough seats for everyone. I saw a lovely midwife who checked me over & said all was good but still no one to induce me so I stayed in waiting room a few hours more and then they said I can have a bed on the antenatal day ward while they find me my own room and get someone to induce me. So now it's Tuesday night and im still in limbo. My boyfriend wanted to come in but on the antenatal ward you're only allowed visitors until 8pm so I said you wait at home and as soon as I have a room and someone can see me come in and bring my hospital bag. At midnight I started feeling mild contractions & I was happy that i wouldnt need to be induced. Now im a first time mum so it was all new to me...i knew once contractions start i would still have a good while until the actual birth.My boyfriend was on standby. I waited in bed, in a dark room sharing with other girls, trying to stay still and not make any noise each time I got a contraction. Once the pain was getting harder to manage I went out into the dimly lit corridor and told the lady on reception. She told me to "potter around" By 4am I couldnt lie down it was so painful i was all alone and really frightened I went out into the corridor but there was no one around. A midwife came eventually & gave me some painkillers and then at 6am she said if i wanted an epidural (which originally i didnt but feeling this pain I now did) but she didnt think there was anyone that could do it and still no room! I had to press panic button no one came for a while. At 8am, by now i was in a state shaking all over, crying & basically screaming out for help. At 8am the day staff start their shift & i was checked for first time to see how dilated i was & told "if you push your baby will come out" I soon got a room then! Within 1 hour 50 mins my baby was born and my boyfriend missed it as i was in too much pain to even use my phone. I did it all by myself and was really traumatic. Thank god for gas and air!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 October 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience of giving birth at St Thomas.’ I am very sorry that the birth of your first baby at St Thomas’ was such a distressing experience and I hope you will accept the hospital’s apologies for that experience. You have raised some important issues about care and communication with patients during the night shift that will be looked into by the Matron and her team. If it would be helpful to discuss your time at St Thomas’ with the Matron or one of her colleagues, please contact PALS, who would be happy to liaise on your behalf. PALS can be contacted by telephone on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8801 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Emergency visit to antenatal day unit

I visited the antenatal day unit on the 9th September as I was experiencing symptoms that required emergency attention. On arrival the midwife asked me about 4 questions and told me to sit down and that there was likely to be a long wait as they were extremely busy. I found the whole experience extremely stressful as I was there under emergency circumstances but did not feel I was being treated as such and it took over 4 hours to get seen. At one point I really broke down sobbing and a kind midwife came over. I explained I was terrified that my baby was in serious danger and again she just said sorry we are very busy. They kept telling people to go away and have lunch which I found ridiculous as nobody cares about eating when they are in an emergency. There weren't even enough seats so my husband had to stand for over six hours in total. I would not revisit this centre under any circumstances.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

St Thomas' replied on 22 September 2014

I am very sorry to learn of the distress you experienced at the Antenatal Day Unit. The Matron responsible for the day unit has been informed and will use the feedback you have given to investigate what occurred on 9th September. If you would like to talk through your experience with the Matron or a member of her team, please contact PALS, who will be happy to liaise on your behalf, by phoning 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Suzan O gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Had my first baby in St Thomas' in August 2014. As it was my first baby I was really desperate, afraid but the care and attention I've got during my stay in hospital made me consider having another baby-only at St Thomas'!

The labour was not a simple or an easy one: my water broke but no contractions came so I was sent to the hospital on a Tuesday morning. Had to wait long until they could examine me, but as my case was not an emergency I understood this waiting time. They said I have to stay in but have to wait to have an empty bed. was waiting from mid-day until 6 pm - long waiting time, but thanks to the restaurant in the hospital and the nice little park in front the time was spent all right.

Tuesday night was induced and had my baby only Wednesday afternoon by forceps delivery.
During my stay met lot of midwives , nurses, doctors...whom I did not even remembered , but their friendly approach made me feel good,respected and safe, even if I met them after I gave birth.
All my questions were answered, included me in all the action, decision....everything was explained, discussed and agreed before they did it. This made me really feel comfortable. My husband is a doctor and the fact that he could stay with me all through the labour was fantastic. And my Mom was with me as well! having extra support from family means a lot- beside the professional care.

Was afraid of epidural, but after having unbearable pain for long hours I asked for it- they have explained it but nothing was forced on me...everything that happened was my decision.All went well with it, the anaesthetic did a great job.

Most of the nurses, midwives, doctor's name can't remember- the gas and the painkillers knocked me out and made me dizzy....(sorry) but special thanks to the member of staff who staid with me on my day of labour- she even sacrificed her own free time, staid little overtime with me after labour to give support, bring me food and just discuss how things went and what can I expect now.
She is a really special midwife-she takes her job very seriously. I think she is really devoted to what she is doing. God bless her and all the team who has taken care of my baby and me! Doctors did a brilliant job by the delivery and episiotomy. Tried to help me to give birth naturally- avoiding CS-which I'm really thankful for!

The post natal ward was different-4 women + babies in one room....unfortunately some of the women were sick, babies crying-so this was really exhausting, couldn't rest. Could not be seen next day by the paediatrician so had to stay an extra day for my baby to be checked before they could discharge us-but have to understand they are extremely busy and still providing an excellent service! Of course, at the end of the day midwives are still human, they might not be smiling 24/7 , they might be late bringing you things that you have asked for, but always treat you with respect!

Could go on and on and reached maximum characters
all in 2 words: Thank you St. Thomas'

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 24 September 2014

St Thomas' replied on 29 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of St Thomas’ maternity services. I am glad to learn that, despite the challenging circumstances, your experience of giving birth at was such a positive one. I am especially glad to learn that the care and compassion you received from staff was as high as we would expect and that you were kept informed and reassured throughout your stay. Your comments have now been shared with the Matrons responsible for maternity service, who were very encouraged to receive them and will in turn share your comments with their teams.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Not as good as expected

After an amazing antenatal care I had to face a terrible experience on the actual birth.
I had to be induced ( iugr and low amniotic fluid) and my consultant booked me in for an induction right after the visit as it had to be done ASAP. On the day they put me in the antenatal ward saying they are getting my bed ready in the hospital birth center. 5 days went past and I was sill waiting for this bed. Spoke with many midwifes and doctors and everyone was saying a different thing. The doctor very rudely one day said < it's not because ur consultant said ASAP that we have to induce you ASAP > I found it out of order! Finally I get transferred to the hospital birth center and the induction start at 10 am. A 4 pm the midwife comes to visit me and said I was 1 cm even tho I was already in pain. At 6 I was visited again and said I was 3 cm and it was goin to be very long as it was my first baby. I made it very clear I wanted and early epidural as I was extremely scared. I was begging for it without any response. By 7:15 I was saying I had to push and the pain was extremely bad but my midwife ignored me and said I was goin to be visited at 10:30 pm as it was too early; than the midwife managed to get someone for my epidural. I was screaming I had to push but no one listened so they put the epidural. At 8 the midwife changed and the new one (who I will never thank enough) looked at me and decided to visit me. I was 10 cm. at 8:20 pm my baby was born. Conclusions:
1- I had a tube put into my back when I was already 10 cm because the midwife decided not to visit me and assumed I was goin to take long as it was my first baby. Out of order considering the risks of an epidural.
2- I had waited 5 days for the induction eva use there was no beds and some rude doctor decided I wasn't urgent anymore ( after I sped all my pregnancy dying growth scan every 2 weeks) and considering the birth weight and the last scan weight my baby didn't grow last week. Out of order!
I would not have another baby in there meet again!!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 August 2014

I was concerned to learn of the issues you have raised about your care and treatment in St Thomas’ Maternity department, and the attitude of staff that you experienced. The Matrons and Service Manager responsible for these areas have been informed of your experiences and will aim to understand more about what occurred on this occasion and how they could prevent such a distressing experience in the future. If you would like to make contact with the Maternity services to receive a personal response to your concerns, please make contact with PALS on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803 or pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Laura F gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Extremely impressed

I had my baby at St. Thomas's on Saturday 14th June. I was treated with great respect from beginning to end. The quality of staffing was, in my opinion, exceptional. In particular my midwife.

I had my baby in the Birth Centre and was struggling with the pain (after 24 hours of latent labour) by the time I arrived. I requested an epidural immediately and was given one within 30 minutes. The midwives were conscientious and attentive throughout and I had a very good delivery. I would highly recommend this hospital and am so grateful to everyone there for making my experience so good.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 16 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 June 2014

Thank you for telling us about your positive experience of giving birth at St Thomas’ Birth Centre. I am glad to hear that the staff treated you with the attentiveness and sensitivity we would expect and that your pain relief was managed well. You comments have been shared with the Matron responsible for the Birth Centre, who will be pleased to share your comments with the whole team

Gul gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 3 stars

Very bad service, horrible staff!

Antenatal Day Unit is very inefficient. In all of the three cases I had to attend this unit with excessive pain, I had to wait between 4-5 hours to be seen by a nurse. Result : Nothing
Because they are so busy, they don't even do specific tests or scans you should normally get when you are pregnant.
Very very disappointing!
I am on my last stage of pregnancy and really hoping that I can change my hospital before the labour as I do not trust this hospital at all at the moment!

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 21 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 04 July 2014

I was concerned to learn of your experiences in the Antenatal Day Unit. The Service Manager and the midwives who work in the Unit would be grateful for the opportunity to learn more about what has gone wrong so that they can put things right as soon as possible. If you do not have the contact details for a member of staff at the Unit then I hope you will contact PALS on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Michaela gave Maternity service at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

wonderful care from start to finish

I wanted to express my utter praise and absolute gratitude for the amazing service received from the St Thomas Maternity team right from the beginning of my pregnancy through to giving birth 4 weeks ago. Until falling pregnant I had not experienced the greatest of service from the NHS (I must admit, i was not the greatest fan) however the care received from St Thomas' & supporting community midwifery team was simply outstanding in every way.

Every team encountered was patient, kind and provided the best possible medical support I could wish for:

- The nurse/midwife team at the EPU (in particular one member of staff who was so understanding time after time) provided me with such support, time and kindness when i had several frightening bouts of bleeding in early pregnancy

- The fantastic medical support from the obstetricians (the doctor and her team) and supporting midwives throughout the pregnancy/delivery

- The amazing anaesthetist and his team who managed, at the eleventh hour, to turn around the original C section plan of having to give me a general anaesthetic by succeeding in giving me a Spinal Block instead (which initially seemed unlikely to work due to complicated spinal issues)...resulting in both my partner & I being conscious & present for our son's birth - such a wonderful and unexpected surprise

- The midwives in both the Birth Centre and the Post Natal Ward who were supportive and wonderful day and night throughout my stay

Thank you all so so much, I will be recommending St Thomas' to everyone I know.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 24 June 2014

St Thomas' replied on 04 July 2014

I am delighted to learn that you have had such a positive experience of pregnancy and childbirth at St Thomas’ hospital and from the community midwifery team. Your kind comments have now been shared with the staff in all teams, who are very encouraged to receive them.