St Thomas'

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

220 total | 29 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Debbie S gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

reassuring, friendly and professional staff

I attended the Early Pregnancy Unit in January because I was concerned about some spotting. I was given a scan. The experience was a very positive one. I was seen fairly quickly and kept informed throughout the whole process. Everyone was professional and friendly, which helped me relax during a stressful situation. The sonographer was also sensitive - I was given a scan photo but advised to keep it out of sight on the way out as not everyone there receives good news. Having a walk-in EPU for emergencies is very reassuring. I would like to thank the staff for their care and professionalism and I would recommend the unit to anyone in a similar position.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 27 February 2015

St Thomas' replied on 27 February 2015

I am delighted to learn that you received such compassionate and professional care at the Early Pregnancy and Acute Gynaecology Unit (EPAG). Your kind comments have been shared with the Matron and senior nurses responsible for EAPG who were very appreciative and will in turn share your comments with their team. Thank you for taking then time to tell us about your experience.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Poor antenatal unit , poor blood test centre staff

What I liked

I never felt the antenatal unit treated pregnant women with any sense of emergency. My wife been there twice. Not to say the waiting time were extremely long, but the fact was the midwives were quite inexperienced (though they were friendly). We would expect seeing a doctor instead of midwife in the emergency unit. Who bare the responsibility if the midwife overlooked the symptoms?

I saw lots of pregnant women frowned while they were waiting, and wondered why so many midwives sat there chatting or doing paper work instead of actually seeing us. If St thomas treated that as an emergency unit, then each pregnant woman in the unit should be seen by a doctor accompanied by the midwife.

I saw similar comments about the waiting time and the dissatisfaction of the unit. i saw the hospital response but I don't think much has improved. I think the hospital should monitor each patient's waiting time and each session should be done by a doctor and a midwife.

My wife was given an orange maternity record book , which had the doctor's name written on it. But up till now, she still haven't got a chance to see him. I think the doctor (as assigned to each pregnant woman) should meet the pregnant women who are planning to give birth in your hospital (at least once) before delivery to ensure safety and eliminate any risk that might arise at the later stage of pregnancy.

My wife done my blood test at ground floor blood test centre and it's worst of all. First the inexperienced trainee couldn't find her blood vessels, when she found it that was the wrong one so the blood stops coming out after 5 seconds. Then her senior did it again, but this time left her a painful bruise which was larger than a pound coin.

I don't think I would recommend the maternity service at St Thomas.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 01 March 2015

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

L vera gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

A very merry Christmas

I gave birth to my baby girl om Wednesday 24.12.2014 @ 9.20am, after which to me felt like weeks in labour!!
I was 1 week 5 days over due with my first baby so everything was new to me I could go on on about my painfull contractions that started 5 days before hand but no need.
To cut a very long story short I just wanted to say a massive thank you to every midwife I encountered. They helped me all through my birthing experience.
As a first time mother I was very nervous, unsure and in a lot of pain but most of the staff i encountered were very reassuring!
Me and baby girl recieved a very full Christmas stocking and a present to unwrap the morning of Christmas. Thank you.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 27 December 2014

St Thomas' replied on 09 January 2015

I am glad to learn that, despite your difficult labour, your experience at St Thomas’ was positive overall. The Midwifery team were very happy to receive your feedback and really appreciate the time you have taken to share it.

Tsitsi gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Excellent maternity services

I supported my 20 year old daughter during birth of my grandchild on the night of the 14th of November 2014. I have to say a big thank you to the team that was on duty in home from home and later the labour corridor in particular the midwife and an anaesthetist who was called in from another area to give my daughter an epidural.
My daughter was very distressed and we were both panicky but the team there were reassuring , kind, professional, involved us in decisions and most important for us , listened when my daughter said she could not cope with the pain and requested an epidural. I work in the NHS myself and have heard horrifying stories during childbirth when women are refused pain medication and told they should be able to cope with the pain.
For us this compassion stood out and we felt safe and very luck to have the NHS and in particular to be looked after at St Thomas'. Thank you St Thomas 7 North maternity team..

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 15 November 2014

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to Midwife in ANC on 25/11/2014

Thank you so much. I was so anxious about my booking appointment and you made me so comfortable and relaxed. I would recommend you to everyone! Thanks for taking the time to listen to and understand without being judgemental. Many thanks again. A great service.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 27 November 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 December 2014

It is great hear that you received such compassionate care in the Maternity department. This is the experience we hope all our patients have, so the staff were very encouraged to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Early Pregnancy Unit

Visited twice - first in mid November with heavy bleeding. Consultant was more concerned with the viability of the fetus and not the reasons why I was bleeding or how I was feeling.

Visited a second time for a follow up appointment in early December. Was treated as though I had a communicable disease due to recently returning from Sierra Leone (without any symptoms). Made to sit in a separate room without explanation. Everyone at the clinic knew where I had traveled even though I had not consented to anyone sharing that information. Forced to see a virologist following diagnosis of a miscarriage and before I could see a gynecologist who could discuss my treatment and care. Not offered any counsel ling or support to deal with the grief of recurrent miscarriages or anything above rescheduling me for a scan to ensure all 'products of pregnancy' were removed.

Really disappointing experience at a rather stressful time. Did not feel respected or listened to and that confidential information was shared without my consent.

To be clear, I was not at risk of having Ebola and was not having any symptoms and was at the hospital for a scheduled pregnancy appointment.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 02 December 2014

St Thomas' replied on 11 December 2014

We are sorry that you had such a distressing experience the Early Pregnancy and Gynaecology Unit (EPAGU). From the information you have provided, we think we are able to identify you and the occasion you visited EPAGU.

Due to the seriousness of the Ebola infection, our Trust protocol requires us to ask screening questions to all patients attending clinic appointments or ward admissions. This ensures that every memeber of staff and patient can take appropriate precautions if any patient has symptoms that could cause risk to others. We hope this explains why the following questions are being asked in many countries during this distressing Ebola virus outbreak:

"Have you visited one of the outbreak countries ( Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia) or been in contact with a possible case within 21 days?

Elective/non - urgent admissions will be postponed 21 days if a patient has visited an outbreak country. A virologist would be contacted if admission or appointment is urgent. "

If you would like to be contacted by the EPAGU Manager or Matron to discuss this matter further, please telephone PALS (patient advice and liaison service) on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803. Alternatively you could email pals@gstt.nhs.uk. PALS aim to respond to all voicemail messages and emails within 24 hours.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Early pregnancy unit

I visited the early pregnancy unit today as I was experiencing bleeding and cramps. I was seen quickly by the nurse and doctor and both were really caring. I felt really looked after.

I am so grateful for the NHS! You provide a wonderful service.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

St Thomas' replied on 07 November 2014

I was very glad to hear that you experience of the Early Pregnancy Unit was so positive. Thank you for giving your feedback – it means a lot to the team in EPU, who were very pleased to read your comments.

Anna gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Don't go if you want someone to take care of you during preg

I'm very disappointed! I'm having my second child at St Thomas (I'm still wondering why)
I am having few issues during my pregnancy. I called three weeks ago my midwife on call, no replay no call back. then I call the hospital. they said to go straight in the antenatal day unit as I was having cramps as it is urgent matter. I been told that I need to wait two hours, in the meanwhile cramps were very strong. after two hours there were still four people in front on me. As I have a daughter, I needed to leave and collect her from nursery without been seeing!!
Midwives just told me that it's up to me to leave and they are too busy and short in stuff. and that's happen all the time you go to the antenatal day unit!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am very sorry to learn of your distressing experience. It would seem that, in addition to the delays that you experienced, your visit to the Antenatal Day Unit was made even more difficult by a lack of communication about the service. The service management team responsible for the ADU have provided the following explanation, which may be helpful in preparation for future visits:

‘ADU is like a casualty for pregnant women. As in other A&E services, the expected waiting time could be up to 4 hours. There is a triage system in place, and some ladies with acute conditions may be seen earlier than others with milder symptoms. But every patient is seen with the same care and attention. We try to advise women to be seen by the community midwife when possible for all the routine care and non-urgent matters. We also tend to warn women coming to ADU that there could be a waiting time to be seen by a midwife. On occasion there could be more waiting time to be seen by a doctor.’

The service management team apologise for the fact that you did not receive a response from your community/on-call midwife. In the absence of a quick response from your community midwife, you did the right thing by coming to the ADU.

The service management team are reviewing performance across all of the areas you have mentioned in your feedback and will continue to strive for improvements in the community midwifery service and in the ADU.

Grateful gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

EPU nurses and midwives are fantastic

After 5 miscarriages I had bleeding again this pregnancy and couldn't get hold of the recurrent miscarriage clinic at St Mary's on a w/e. I called up St thomas' Epu and spoke with a Nurse, who was very kind and said I could just go in for a scan.

I did go in on tuesday 21 oct after another tiny bleed, and all the nurses and staff were so kind. Scan nurse and Midwife were just fantastic. Thank you so much , I wasn't able to send a phone review as the service doesn't work but wanted to thank you all so much - I was so stressed and without you I think I would have just broken down. Excellent that this EPU is there, it's busy and there's a long wait but staff are just lovely. Thank you all so, so much.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am glad to learn that your experience of EPU was so positive and that you received the help and support you needed during this difficult time. I apologise that the telephone review service did not work when you tried to use it and thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience through NHS Choices instead. The staff in EPU were very encouraged receive your feedback.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Avoid when pregnant!

Changing from Royal London hospital to st Thomas is the biggest mistake I made. Some of the receptionist are soooo Rude treat you like dirt. Met a midwife and wanted to ask a question but just looked at me, and walked pass as soon as I said excuse me. Some of the staffs are nice. I have been booked for an induction two weeks prior to this day but I am still at home waiting for that almighty call to come in as there are no beds they said. St Thomas of all hospitals no bed???? I am worried about my baby as I have got Gdm and I am beginning to wonder if Gdm truly is dangerous if I have to wait another maybe a week before they get a bed ready for my induction as I will be 40weeks then.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am very concerned to learn of your disappointing experiences of St Thomas’ Maternity Services and especially to learn that, at the time of writing this review, you had unresolved concerns about your health. If you remain worried and have been unable to contact a member of your healthcare team directly, please contact PALS on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803, or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk and member of the team will liaise with Maternity Services on your behalf.