St Thomas'

Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

204 total | 26 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Early pregnancy unit

I visited the early pregnancy unit today as I was experiencing bleeding and cramps. I was seen quickly by the nurse and doctor and both were really caring. I felt really looked after.

I am so grateful for the NHS! You provide a wonderful service.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

St Thomas' replied on 07 November 2014

I was very glad to hear that you experience of the Early Pregnancy Unit was so positive. Thank you for giving your feedback – it means a lot to the team in EPU, who were very pleased to read your comments.

Tsitsi gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Excellent maternity services

I supported my 20 year old daughter during birth of my grandchild on the night of the 14th of November 2014. I have to say a big thank you to the team that was on duty in home from home and later the labour corridor in particular the midwife and an anaesthetist who was called in from another area to give my daughter an epidural.
My daughter was very distressed and we were both panicky but the team there were reassuring , kind, professional, involved us in decisions and most important for us , listened when my daughter said she could not cope with the pain and requested an epidural. I work in the NHS myself and have heard horrifying stories during childbirth when women are refused pain medication and told they should be able to cope with the pain.
For us this compassion stood out and we felt safe and very luck to have the NHS and in particular to be looked after at St Thomas'. Thank you St Thomas 7 North maternity team..

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 15 November 2014

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Thank you to Midwife in ANC on 25/11/2014

Thank you so much. I was so anxious about my booking appointment and you made me so comfortable and relaxed. I would recommend you to everyone! Thanks for taking the time to listen to and understand without being judgemental. Many thanks again. A great service.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 27 November 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 December 2014

It is great hear that you received such compassionate care in the Maternity department. This is the experience we hope all our patients have, so the staff were very encouraged to read your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Early Pregnancy Unit

Visited twice - first in mid November with heavy bleeding. Consultant was more concerned with the viability of the fetus and not the reasons why I was bleeding or how I was feeling.

Visited a second time for a follow up appointment in early December. Was treated as though I had a communicable disease due to recently returning from Sierra Leone (without any symptoms). Made to sit in a separate room without explanation. Everyone at the clinic knew where I had traveled even though I had not consented to anyone sharing that information. Forced to see a virologist following diagnosis of a miscarriage and before I could see a gynecologist who could discuss my treatment and care. Not offered any counsel ling or support to deal with the grief of recurrent miscarriages or anything above rescheduling me for a scan to ensure all 'products of pregnancy' were removed.

Really disappointing experience at a rather stressful time. Did not feel respected or listened to and that confidential information was shared without my consent.

To be clear, I was not at risk of having Ebola and was not having any symptoms and was at the hospital for a scheduled pregnancy appointment.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 02 December 2014

St Thomas' replied on 11 December 2014

We are sorry that you had such a distressing experience the Early Pregnancy and Gynaecology Unit (EPAGU). From the information you have provided, we think we are able to identify you and the occasion you visited EPAGU.

Due to the seriousness of the Ebola infection, our Trust protocol requires us to ask screening questions to all patients attending clinic appointments or ward admissions. This ensures that every memeber of staff and patient can take appropriate precautions if any patient has symptoms that could cause risk to others. We hope this explains why the following questions are being asked in many countries during this distressing Ebola virus outbreak:

"Have you visited one of the outbreak countries ( Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia) or been in contact with a possible case within 21 days?

Elective/non - urgent admissions will be postponed 21 days if a patient has visited an outbreak country. A virologist would be contacted if admission or appointment is urgent. "

If you would like to be contacted by the EPAGU Manager or Matron to discuss this matter further, please telephone PALS (patient advice and liaison service) on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803. Alternatively you could email pals@gstt.nhs.uk. PALS aim to respond to all voicemail messages and emails within 24 hours.

Anna gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Don't go if you want someone to take care of you during preg

I'm very disappointed! I'm having my second child at St Thomas (I'm still wondering why)
I am having few issues during my pregnancy. I called three weeks ago my midwife on call, no replay no call back. then I call the hospital. they said to go straight in the antenatal day unit as I was having cramps as it is urgent matter. I been told that I need to wait two hours, in the meanwhile cramps were very strong. after two hours there were still four people in front on me. As I have a daughter, I needed to leave and collect her from nursery without been seeing!!
Midwives just told me that it's up to me to leave and they are too busy and short in stuff. and that's happen all the time you go to the antenatal day unit!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am very sorry to learn of your distressing experience. It would seem that, in addition to the delays that you experienced, your visit to the Antenatal Day Unit was made even more difficult by a lack of communication about the service. The service management team responsible for the ADU have provided the following explanation, which may be helpful in preparation for future visits:

‘ADU is like a casualty for pregnant women. As in other A&E services, the expected waiting time could be up to 4 hours. There is a triage system in place, and some ladies with acute conditions may be seen earlier than others with milder symptoms. But every patient is seen with the same care and attention. We try to advise women to be seen by the community midwife when possible for all the routine care and non-urgent matters. We also tend to warn women coming to ADU that there could be a waiting time to be seen by a midwife. On occasion there could be more waiting time to be seen by a doctor.’

The service management team apologise for the fact that you did not receive a response from your community/on-call midwife. In the absence of a quick response from your community midwife, you did the right thing by coming to the ADU.

The service management team are reviewing performance across all of the areas you have mentioned in your feedback and will continue to strive for improvements in the community midwifery service and in the ADU.

Grateful gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

EPU nurses and midwives are fantastic

After 5 miscarriages I had bleeding again this pregnancy and couldn't get hold of the recurrent miscarriage clinic at St Mary's on a w/e. I called up St thomas' Epu and spoke with a Nurse, who was very kind and said I could just go in for a scan.

I did go in on tuesday 21 oct after another tiny bleed, and all the nurses and staff were so kind. Scan nurse and Midwife were just fantastic. Thank you so much , I wasn't able to send a phone review as the service doesn't work but wanted to thank you all so much - I was so stressed and without you I think I would have just broken down. Excellent that this EPU is there, it's busy and there's a long wait but staff are just lovely. Thank you all so, so much.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am glad to learn that your experience of EPU was so positive and that you received the help and support you needed during this difficult time. I apologise that the telephone review service did not work when you tried to use it and thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience through NHS Choices instead. The staff in EPU were very encouraged receive your feedback.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Avoid when pregnant!

Changing from Royal London hospital to st Thomas is the biggest mistake I made. Some of the receptionist are soooo Rude treat you like dirt. Met a midwife and wanted to ask a question but just looked at me, and walked pass as soon as I said excuse me. Some of the staffs are nice. I have been booked for an induction two weeks prior to this day but I am still at home waiting for that almighty call to come in as there are no beds they said. St Thomas of all hospitals no bed???? I am worried about my baby as I have got Gdm and I am beginning to wonder if Gdm truly is dangerous if I have to wait another maybe a week before they get a bed ready for my induction as I will be 40weeks then.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 25 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 03 November 2014

I am very concerned to learn of your disappointing experiences of St Thomas’ Maternity Services and especially to learn that, at the time of writing this review, you had unresolved concerns about your health. If you remain worried and have been unable to contact a member of your healthcare team directly, please contact PALS on 020 7188 8801 or 020 7188 8803, or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk and member of the team will liaise with Maternity Services on your behalf.

Fantastic

I cannot fault the care I received when in labour. It was top class from the moment we walked I. Until the baby was born. We were treated with dignity and respect and the staff were very competent, from doctor to health care assistants.

I also used the early pregnancy unit and all the staff they were extremely helpful.

I wasn't too impressed with the antenatal care (the Waldron centre), however they always did get the job done.

I would use again and I highly recommend the birth centre.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 11 November 2014

St Thomas' replied on 19 November 2014

I am very encouraged to learn that you have had consistently positive experiences of different services across Guy’s and St Thomas’ Maternity and Gynaecology departments. Your feedback on the antenatal you received at the Waldron Centre has been passed to the midwifery manager responsible for that service – this will allow her to consider it when looking into ways to improve the service. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

This hospital is too busy if you're pregnant Avoid

Firstly all the staff we came in contact with were really lovely but there is not enough staff or room in this hospital..if you are looking on here to decide which hospital is best to have your baby id say please try and find another hospital that isnt in central London. They have excellent facilities & technology but just know that you will be taking the risk that when you go in there will be no one to see you and no room for you. 3 weeks on it's effected me so deeply that it still upsets me and has put me off ever having children again and I would consider adopting instead. My waters broke when I was in bed on Sunday evening. I called up & they said to come in..I was there by 4am and saw a midwife & they told be to come back at 10pm Monday night if no contractions had started they will induce me but when i called up that night they said come in in the morning instead. It was so busy there on this day (Tuesday 16th September) that I waited 3 hours before seeing anyone in a really hot waiting room where there were not enough seats for everyone. I saw a lovely midwife who checked me over & said all was good but still no one to induce me so I stayed in waiting room a few hours more and then they said I can have a bed on the antenatal day ward while they find me my own room and get someone to induce me. So now it's Tuesday night and im still in limbo. My boyfriend wanted to come in but on the antenatal ward you're only allowed visitors until 8pm so I said you wait at home and as soon as I have a room and someone can see me come in and bring my hospital bag. At midnight I started feeling mild contractions & I was happy that i wouldnt need to be induced. Now im a first time mum so it was all new to me...i knew once contractions start i would still have a good while until the actual birth.My boyfriend was on standby. I waited in bed, in a dark room sharing with other girls, trying to stay still and not make any noise each time I got a contraction. Once the pain was getting harder to manage I went out into the dimly lit corridor and told the lady on reception. She told me to "potter around" By 4am I couldnt lie down it was so painful i was all alone and really frightened I went out into the corridor but there was no one around. A midwife came eventually & gave me some painkillers and then at 6am she said if i wanted an epidural (which originally i didnt but feeling this pain I now did) but she didnt think there was anyone that could do it and still no room! I had to press panic button no one came for a while. At 8am, by now i was in a state shaking all over, crying & basically screaming out for help. At 8am the day staff start their shift & i was checked for first time to see how dilated i was & told "if you push your baby will come out" I soon got a room then! Within 1 hour 50 mins my baby was born and my boyfriend missed it as i was in too much pain to even use my phone. I did it all by myself and was really traumatic. Thank god for gas and air!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 10 October 2014

St Thomas' replied on 20 October 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience of giving birth at St Thomas.’ I am very sorry that the birth of your first baby at St Thomas’ was such a distressing experience and I hope you will accept the hospital’s apologies for that experience. You have raised some important issues about care and communication with patients during the night shift that will be looked into by the Matron and her team. If it would be helpful to discuss your time at St Thomas’ with the Matron or one of her colleagues, please contact PALS, who would be happy to liaise on your behalf. PALS can be contacted by telephone on 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8801 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Emergency visit to antenatal day unit

I visited the antenatal day unit on the 9th September as I was experiencing symptoms that required emergency attention. On arrival the midwife asked me about 4 questions and told me to sit down and that there was likely to be a long wait as they were extremely busy. I found the whole experience extremely stressful as I was there under emergency circumstances but did not feel I was being treated as such and it took over 4 hours to get seen. At one point I really broke down sobbing and a kind midwife came over. I explained I was terrified that my baby was in serious danger and again she just said sorry we are very busy. They kept telling people to go away and have lunch which I found ridiculous as nobody cares about eating when they are in an emergency. There weren't even enough seats so my husband had to stand for over six hours in total. I would not revisit this centre under any circumstances.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 15 September 2014

St Thomas' replied on 22 September 2014

I am very sorry to learn of the distress you experienced at the Antenatal Day Unit. The Matron responsible for the day unit has been informed and will use the feedback you have given to investigate what occurred on 9th September. If you would like to talk through your experience with the Matron or a member of her team, please contact PALS, who will be happy to liaise on your behalf, by phoning 020 7188 8801, 020 7188 8803 or by email at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.