St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

313 total | 59 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Dee gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Gave birth at the hospital this Monday 11 April, I was admitted on Sunday morning and the level of care and support I received from the midwife team was amazing . I really appreciate the care that goes into your work. I felt supported and safe. I can't thank you enough for the great attitude . You are all amazing. Keep up the great work that you are doing and God bless you all :)

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 17 April 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 April 2016

Dear Dee, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with on your experience of giving birth at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that the high levels of care and support provided by t e midwifery team made you feel supported and safe during your labour. The team will be really pleased to hear this and we have shared your feedback with them. We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your baby.

Patient Opinion Logo

Vasiliki gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Extremely disappointing experience

I gave birth at St Thomas’ on 26th March. Despite the fact that I have moved to East London, I decided to go ahead with my initial plan to have the baby there, due to the hospital’s good reputation. However, the experience didn’t live up to the expectations. My waters broke on 25th at 06:00 at which point we went to the hospital, as per the advice on the phone. There I was seen by a midwife and as I had no contractions, I was sent home. At around 19:00 on the same day, I was having contractions of about a minute every 2-3 minutes apart. I called the hospital again and their exact words were “If you feel ready to come in, do come.” Upon arrival at the Home from Home, the receptionist asked me in an annoyed way what was the problem. I explained to them and another midwife took me to a room. “You have no contractions, but I'll check you anyway,” the midwife said just by looking at me. The midwife gave me a quite painful check and concluded that I should go back home as I had no contractions. I mentioned that we were an hour away and could we not stay, but the midwife insisted mentioning the following: If you were having contractions you would be screaming like an animal now, you will come tomorrow morning and they will induce you. I also mentioned that I wanted an epidural and the midwife said they were going to give me one in the morning. As far as I know and have seen the hospital has an early labour room, were we could have waited. Half-way through to East London, my contractions became much stronger and by the time we got home, I could barely walk from pain. Half an hour later, we were on the way to the hospital again. Upon arrival after 22:00 the doors at the car park, were locked. As we were instructed at the antenatal class we rang the bell, but the doors seemed pretty locked and they wouldn’t open. On a wheelchair and carrying all my hospital bags, my fiancé wheeled me to the main entrance and up the maternity ward again. At the reception another annoyed receptionist asked me what was my problem, although it was very obvious. The receptionist took me to a room at the home from home, and in a mocking tone, they told the other midwives “she’s saying she wants to push” I started getting undressed but I mentioned the epidural again, so they took me out of this room and in the birth centre. Clearly my birth notes had been ignored.
By that time I was fully dilated and the anaesthetist was already in theatre, so as soon as the anaesthetist came out, I could have the epidural. That was not true, since there would be no point in having an epidural at that stage. The baby was born in about 40 minutes. We spent 3 nights at the hospital as due to the lack of staff  the doctors could never see us on the day we were told. We had to chase the midwives to be seen eventually and during the long waits no one came to update us.  I was very happy to be discharged from St. Thomas’ and I’m not planning to go back there ever again, if I can avoid it. One of the worst experiences I had.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 April 2016

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Foo gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My caesarean section

Had a positive experience with my cesarean delivery on the morning of Mar 16. baby was born at 09.48. Organised planning and fantastic support from the surgery team , led by snr consultant. Special thanks also to the encouragement from my anaesthetist n the comforting care received from my assigned midwife. It's unfortunate I'm unable to remember everyone's name.

Heartfelt thanks to a great team on the operating table. 5 stars rating from me.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 23 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are please to hear that you felt so well supported during your recent caesarean and the anaesthetists and midwife continued to support you throughout. We wodul like to congratulate you on the birth of your baby. We will pass your feedback on to the staff wha cared for you.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My wife gave birth

My wife was in the hospital since 5th March and she gave birth there. It was an excellent experience in the hospital during the period we ware there so I recommend this hospital for treatment and thanks to nhs for giving the work class hospital

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your wife had such a positive experience of care during her stay. We would like to congratulate yo on the birth of your baby and than you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We have passed your comments on to the teams involved in your wife's care.

May Winfield gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Efficient, helpful & made c-section experience stress-free

From the moment we arrived at 4am on Sunday morning to the time we left 3 days later, all the staff - midwifes, surgical staff etc - made every effort to make my stay as stress free as possible. The staff were efficient, kind and patient, as well as remaining cheerful despite the long hours. They even found a Bluetooth speaker so we could play our chosen music during the surgery. They kept us informed throughout the process, and we're always happy to fully answer any questions or concerns we had. We feel lucky that we had our son at St Thomas, and are exceptionally grateful to all the staff for making our experience so positive as the surgery and subsequent days could have been far more stressful than they were. The food was remarkably good, and the fact a family member/partner can stay overnight made a phenomenal difference to our experience.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 02 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 03 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that team kept you informed through out your baby's birth, answered your questions and tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The introduction of reclining chairs to enable partners to stay overnight is new initiative which has proved popular with many new mum's and their families. We will pass your feedback on to the team in maternity services.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Early pregnancy unit: felt so cared for

I was really upset when I arrived and every staff member was kind, offered me a quiet area if I needed it. When I saw the nurse they were reassuring without making false promises and the trainee scanner was excellent explaining everything and double checking with the supervisor. I know I would always feel able to go back if I had any concerns. Please pass on my thanks to all the staff

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 20 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you were treated with kindness and compassion by staff during what must have been a worrying time. We will pass your feedback on to the team.

Decemberbaby gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Hospital

We switched to st Thomas' from Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich when I was 20 weeks pregnant after a very disappointing experience.
Everything at St Thomas' was a polar opposite to what we had previously experienced. Clinics run on time, the hospital is clean and the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hospital is also very inclusive, which as a lesbian couple was very important to us.
I ended up having a relatively complicated pregnancy due to high blood pressure and at no point did I feel uninformed. I was always jncluded in decisions about my care and methods were fully explained to me always. I attended the ADU many times on instruction of the consultant (twice weekly BP monitoring) and as much as I always had to wait, I felt the service ran very smoothly and always felt well looked after. Even in labour I was treated with the utmost dignity and didbt at any point feel like I had lost control. The midwives who helped with the safe delivery of our daughter were absolutely incredible and made the experience a very positive one.
Great hospital. Would recommend to anyone and will always go back there any time we need anything.medical. Thanks St Thomas', for turning a bad maternity experience around!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your experience of treatment and care at our maternity unit was such a positive one. It helpful to know that you and your partner felt our approach was inclusive, you were treated with dignity and felt in control in spite of the complications with the birth. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.

Kat gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Great maternity services on the labour ward

We were admitted for an induction in the birthing unit and had to move to the labour ward when it was swiftly discovered that our baby was an unstable lie in the pelvis. On a busy night shift, we were really impressed by the personable care and team effort - the consultants and midwives followed up even after their shifts. Special thanks to the midwife, who represented our wishes and helped us make sound decisions, so we had delivery we wanted, despite complications.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 04 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you were impressed with the level of personalised care and effort that they went to follow up on the birth of your child following their birth. It good to know that the midwife supported you in decision making and represented your wishes to ensure that you had the delivery you wanted. We will pass your comment on to the team in Maternity Services.

Freya's Mummy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

A wonderful expereince

The Home from Home Birth Centre at St Thomas' has an excellent reputation so I had high expectations - I can honestly say that those were more than exceeded during the birth of our daughter in December 2015. I laboured at home, having practised hypno-birthing, yoga, relaxation and other drug-free pain relief techniques. I got to hospital fully dilated, was assessed and taken straight into the centre where I met our midwife. They were calm, friendly, caring, compassionate and I trusted them implicitly from the moment they put their face close to mine, introduced themself and asked how I was feeling. The pushing stage took longer than we had all anticipated. I knew the midwife had read our birth plan and knew we wanted to proceed as naturally and intervention-free as possible. So they tried various, low-impact techniques to move labour along: changing position, moving around, making me have a wee! They were was always gentle in their approach, coming close to me to say, "I have a suggestion, why don't we try,,,". I felt throughout that she completely understood me. We used Clary Sage, Jasmine massage from a colleague, an in/out catheter, frequent Jelly Babies fed to me by my husband! Eventually the midwife found a position for me that was more productive. Baby Freya arrived two hours after I arrived in hospital. The midwife even stopped me from tearing - not one single stitch! It was their experience, skill and professionalism that made our daughter's birth such a success - it was everything I hoped it would be. I felt valued, dignified and respected at all times. The post-birth hours were just as good. We were lucky enough to stay overnight in our own room. Our midwife had to leave and we were looked after by a variety of midwife team members who were unwaveringly friendly, supportive and hard-working. They helped us to get breastfeeding started and vigilantly made sure we were well before sending us home. All this and probably the best view anywhere in London! The NHS gets a right knocking - and that's wrong. Find me care better than this anywhere in the world. I feel lucky to have it - and am proud of what it does. Thank you to everyone at St Thomas Home from Home for bringing our daughter safely into the world and for allowing me the birth experience I had always hoped for.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 05 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you felt well supported, respected and treated with dignity throughout the birth and the midwife took your birth plan into account. It is good to know that your positive experience of care continued on the postnatal ward. We wodul like to congratulate you on the birth of your daughter Freya. We will share your feedback with the team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 3 stars

Disappointed with Midwifery care

Midwifery care poor. God my antibiotics late 2 days in a row.Observations done late. A friend asked a midwife if we could have flowers they said yes. When my friend bought the flowers we we then told we could not have flowers. I asked to speak the sister. When they came to see me they were aggressive asked why I wanted to see them. They did not even ask how I was if they could help me with anything. I was shocked at her approach at their level.

In addition I was scared as I was on bed rest. The shower was broken. I needed assistance to help me wash as I had to hold the shower and there was nowhere to put my toiletries that I could reach in addition I got the impression I had to make my own bed which needed changing as there were blood stains. The midwife said if I needed assistance I should not have a shower at all. I found them uncaring. They just gave lip service of caring but no action.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 20 November 2015

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience of care on our wards following the birth of your child. We would like to learn more about this so that we can discuss the care and communication issues with the staff team involved and pass on your suggestions regarding the environment to our Estates Team so that they can make the repairs needed. Please contact Lynne Pacanowski , Director of Midwifery to discuss this in more detail (email lynne.pacanowski@gstt.nhs.uk ) alternatively you could contact our PALS Team so that they can liaise with the department so that we can look into this further. Our PALS (patient advice and liaison service) team can be contacted by telephone 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk