St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

328 total | 62 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Daisy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Antenatal Day Unit

The midwives in the day unit were so very kind. When I discovered I had obstetric cholestasis and had to go in regularly, they were incredibly supportive and made me feel so much better. Things happened very quickly, I was induced within about a week of discovering the problem and this would have been a very frightening process had it not been for the great care I received from both midwives and the doctors, right up to the birth. Thank you!!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 July 2016

Thank you for sharing you experience of treatmanet and care with us. We are pleased to hear that the staff were so reassuring and supportive and that positive experience of care contiued right up to the birth of your baby. We have passed yor feedback onto the team.

Yuka gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Waiting time is too long

Antenatal day unit waiting time for doctors is always over 6 hours with just 3-4 outpatients. I choose this hospital because of the review; however they did not include in their leave review questionaire whether you are satisfied with your waiting time, hence they got good review, which is not fair. In fhe future they should include in their leave review questionaire "whether you are satisfied with your waiting time?".

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 18 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us following your recent visit to the antenatal day unit. We would like to apologise for the length of time you had to wait in the unit. In addition to running clinics for women who need to see us regularly the unit also sees women who need to be seen in an emergency. We assess women who need to be seen as an emergency on the basis of clinical need when they arrive. This means that we see patients in order of priority, not when they arrive and unfortunately may mean that some patients experience longer waits than we would like. This issue has been recognised and we are currently working on plans that specifically focus on women’s experience in the Antenatal Day Unit. Thank you for your feedback regarding the questionnaire you completed. Although we do ask patients questions about waiting times, we will take your comments into consideration when we next review the questionnaire.

Craig gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Best midwife

Our baby girl was delivered on the 29th of may 2016@ 16.24hrs , 7th floor St Thomas hospital birth centre, North wing. In few words which means a lot, I would like to thank all the staff who made it happen on that day. Especially the best midwife we were a located in suite 9 and mastered the delivery of our beautiful baby girl. Thanks for your professionalism. Thanks st Thomas for this wonderful member of your staff.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 06 June 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 July 2016

Dear Craig, Thank you for sharing you feedback on your family's expereince at our birth centre. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. We are pleased to hear it was such a positive experience and that you all felt well supported by the team and midwife in particular. We have passed your feedback on to the Birth Centre Team.

Patient Opinion Logo

Dee gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Gave birth at the hospital this Monday 11 April, I was admitted on Sunday morning and the level of care and support I received from the midwife team was amazing . I really appreciate the care that goes into your work. I felt supported and safe. I can't thank you enough for the great attitude . You are all amazing. Keep up the great work that you are doing and God bless you all :)

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 17 April 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 April 2016

Dear Dee, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with on your experience of giving birth at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that the high levels of care and support provided by t e midwifery team made you feel supported and safe during your labour. The team will be really pleased to hear this and we have shared your feedback with them. We would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your baby.

Patient Opinion Logo

Vasiliki gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Extremely disappointing experience

I gave birth at St Thomas’ on 26th March. Despite the fact that I have moved to East London, I decided to go ahead with my initial plan to have the baby there, due to the hospital’s good reputation. However, the experience didn’t live up to the expectations. My waters broke on 25th at 06:00 at which point we went to the hospital, as per the advice on the phone. There I was seen by a midwife and as I had no contractions, I was sent home. At around 19:00 on the same day, I was having contractions of about a minute every 2-3 minutes apart. I called the hospital again and their exact words were “If you feel ready to come in, do come.” Upon arrival at the Home from Home, the receptionist asked me in an annoyed way what was the problem. I explained to them and another midwife took me to a room. “You have no contractions, but I'll check you anyway,” the midwife said just by looking at me. The midwife gave me a quite painful check and concluded that I should go back home as I had no contractions. I mentioned that we were an hour away and could we not stay, but the midwife insisted mentioning the following: If you were having contractions you would be screaming like an animal now, you will come tomorrow morning and they will induce you. I also mentioned that I wanted an epidural and the midwife said they were going to give me one in the morning. As far as I know and have seen the hospital has an early labour room, were we could have waited. Half-way through to East London, my contractions became much stronger and by the time we got home, I could barely walk from pain. Half an hour later, we were on the way to the hospital again. Upon arrival after 22:00 the doors at the car park, were locked. As we were instructed at the antenatal class we rang the bell, but the doors seemed pretty locked and they wouldn’t open. On a wheelchair and carrying all my hospital bags, my fiancé wheeled me to the main entrance and up the maternity ward again. At the reception another annoyed receptionist asked me what was my problem, although it was very obvious. The receptionist took me to a room at the home from home, and in a mocking tone, they told the other midwives “she’s saying she wants to push” I started getting undressed but I mentioned the epidural again, so they took me out of this room and in the birth centre. Clearly my birth notes had been ignored.
By that time I was fully dilated and the anaesthetist was already in theatre, so as soon as the anaesthetist came out, I could have the epidural. That was not true, since there would be no point in having an epidural at that stage. The baby was born in about 40 minutes. We spent 3 nights at the hospital as due to the lack of staff  the doctors could never see us on the day we were told. We had to chase the midwives to be seen eventually and during the long waits no one came to update us.  I was very happy to be discharged from St. Thomas’ and I’m not planning to go back there ever again, if I can avoid it. One of the worst experiences I had.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 April 2016

St Thomas' replied on 06 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. We really appreciate your courage and willingness to revisit the frustrating and distressing experience you had, during your baby’s birth here on 26/03/2016 and want you to feel reassured that the Midwifery Management Team will be taking appropriate measures to ensure lessons are learnt.

We were very disappointed to hear your description of events surrounding your arrival of the Home from Home birth centre during the early evening on 25th March.

It was so unfortunate that you were treated so impersonally and were sent home in such extreme circumstances. It appears that the midwife did not appreciate how rapidly your labour was progressing or show any insight into how you were feeling.

We are sorry that you were not listened too and made to believe you were not in labour. It must have been so stressful for you and your fiancé – especially as you had to travel so far.

You must appreciate that you did do very well. It is just such a shame that the moment of birth, which should have been so joyous and fulfilling, was a time of fear and stress. It is so unfair that you did not have the time/opportunity to have an epidural as everything was so rushed. You are clearly a strong woman and your preparation for labour and birth must have been considerable and thus your frustration at the management of your labour is entirely understandable.

Your email outlines the various different aspects of your ‘care’ which were unacceptable, please do be assured you that the Midwifery Management Team will follow these up. Our staff need to understand how their poor communication skills adversely affected your whole experience. This will unfortunately be of little use to you but will hopefully improve the situation for other women to follow.

Thank you so much for addressing your concerns so openly. We hope that w have reassured you of our commitment to try to resolve the situation.

Foo gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My caesarean section

Had a positive experience with my cesarean delivery on the morning of Mar 16. baby was born at 09.48. Organised planning and fantastic support from the surgery team , led by snr consultant. Special thanks also to the encouragement from my anaesthetist n the comforting care received from my assigned midwife. It's unfortunate I'm unable to remember everyone's name.

Heartfelt thanks to a great team on the operating table. 5 stars rating from me.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 23 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are please to hear that you felt so well supported during your recent caesarean and the anaesthetists and midwife continued to support you throughout. We wodul like to congratulate you on the birth of your baby. We will pass your feedback on to the staff wha cared for you.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

My wife gave birth

My wife was in the hospital since 5th March and she gave birth there. It was an excellent experience in the hospital during the period we ware there so I recommend this hospital for treatment and thanks to nhs for giving the work class hospital

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 April 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your wife had such a positive experience of care during her stay. We would like to congratulate yo on the birth of your baby and than you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We have passed your comments on to the teams involved in your wife's care.

May Winfield gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Efficient, helpful & made c-section experience stress-free

From the moment we arrived at 4am on Sunday morning to the time we left 3 days later, all the staff - midwifes, surgical staff etc - made every effort to make my stay as stress free as possible. The staff were efficient, kind and patient, as well as remaining cheerful despite the long hours. They even found a Bluetooth speaker so we could play our chosen music during the surgery. They kept us informed throughout the process, and we're always happy to fully answer any questions or concerns we had. We feel lucky that we had our son at St Thomas, and are exceptionally grateful to all the staff for making our experience so positive as the surgery and subsequent days could have been far more stressful than they were. The food was remarkably good, and the fact a family member/partner can stay overnight made a phenomenal difference to our experience.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 02 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 03 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that team kept you informed through out your baby's birth, answered your questions and tried to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The introduction of reclining chairs to enable partners to stay overnight is new initiative which has proved popular with many new mum's and their families. We will pass your feedback on to the team in maternity services.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Early pregnancy unit: felt so cared for

I was really upset when I arrived and every staff member was kind, offered me a quiet area if I needed it. When I saw the nurse they were reassuring without making false promises and the trainee scanner was excellent explaining everything and double checking with the supervisor. I know I would always feel able to go back if I had any concerns. Please pass on my thanks to all the staff

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 20 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that you were treated with kindness and compassion by staff during what must have been a worrying time. We will pass your feedback on to the team.

Decemberbaby gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Hospital

We switched to st Thomas' from Queen Elizabeth's in Woolwich when I was 20 weeks pregnant after a very disappointing experience.
Everything at St Thomas' was a polar opposite to what we had previously experienced. Clinics run on time, the hospital is clean and the staff friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The hospital is also very inclusive, which as a lesbian couple was very important to us.
I ended up having a relatively complicated pregnancy due to high blood pressure and at no point did I feel uninformed. I was always jncluded in decisions about my care and methods were fully explained to me always. I attended the ADU many times on instruction of the consultant (twice weekly BP monitoring) and as much as I always had to wait, I felt the service ran very smoothly and always felt well looked after. Even in labour I was treated with the utmost dignity and didbt at any point feel like I had lost control. The midwives who helped with the safe delivery of our daughter were absolutely incredible and made the experience a very positive one.
Great hospital. Would recommend to anyone and will always go back there any time we need anything.medical. Thanks St Thomas', for turning a bad maternity experience around!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 01 January 2016

St Thomas' replied on 05 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that your experience of treatment and care at our maternity unit was such a positive one. It helpful to know that you and your partner felt our approach was inclusive, you were treated with dignity and felt in control in spite of the complications with the birth. We will share your feedback with the teams involved.