Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

St Thomas'

Telephone: 020 7188 7188
Address: Westminster Bridge Road, London, SE1 7EH
Website: http://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk

267 total | 42 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Elisabetta gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

excellent service throughout

we are very thankful to the Maternity home from home and birth centre teams for taking such excellent care of me, my partner and our baby born on 23rd July.

I was in hospital for almost a week through induction and c-section delivery and the staff was always attentive and caring.

Elisabetta and family

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 07 August 2015

St Thomas' replied on 24 August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased to hear that staff were so attentive and caring throughout your stay and labour. We will pass your comments on to the team in maternity services.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 2 stars

Discharged and left at risk

After spending five days as an inpatient and being told I was at severe risk of late miscarriage and haemorrhaging I was discharged and told I would be referred to the preterm clinic and for further scans. These appointments were never made placing me and my child at risk.

Following on from a previous appointment where I was told my health was not of concern only the baby's I now have no faith in the quality of care at St Thomas'

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 15 July 2015

David gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

St Thomas, Birth Center, Antenatal Clinic, Postnatal Unit.

Hi, we're first time parents, after my wife became pregnant GP admitted us to local hospital and after multiple dissapoitments in Antenatal Clinic of our local hospital we did online research about London hospitals and their maternity units. Hospital with one of the highest rank we found was St Thomas hospital, around 20 miles away from home and our local hospital is 5min walk from home. At 25 week of the pregnancy we self referred to St Thomas and were accepted. Antenatal Clinic booked for us first appointment to see midwife. We filled necessary paper work. Antenatal Clinic booked for us ultrasound Scans, and parental classes, Birth classes, Labour classes, we didn't miss even one appointment nor class as everything St Thomas was offering was very interesting and useful. We were given phone numbers to midwife, Birth clinic, home from home clinic and could call anytime we needed to ask a question. At 40 + 2 days my partner got diarrhea we called hospital and midwife said to come we stayed night and day at the hospital and went home, at 40+5 my wife when she woke up told me there's a blood on her pad and we both got scared I called St Thomas again and midwife after asking questions said we should call an ambulance, we knew ambulance won't take us to St Thomas but local hospital, I booked a taxi and quickly went to St Thomas my wife was admitted to birth clinic and we stayed there. We were told by one of the midwifes that my wife will stay until birth, midwife checked baby and cervix it was open less than 3cm with the time midwife broke waters. Greenish water was coming out and we were told it was baby poo. I was just constantly asking if everything will be OK and was always assured it will. My wife started having strong contractions and I saw she was in a lot of pain. The only pain relief she tried was gas but she didn't like it. She wanted epidural but when the second time midwife looked at cervix 4h later it was already open 10cm. We resigned from epidural as the baby was about to come out. I myself left the room I'm scared of blood and didn't want to faint and midwife with the doctor was taking birth. It took around 10 min more for the baby to be born. I went quietly back to the room my wife was lying on the bed and crying from happiness, myself too. Midwife cleaned our little princess. We were transferred to postnatal clinic and stayed in the hospital until evening next day. And our baby was measured and checked up.
I would like to thank from the whole of my heart to staff who so professionally took care of my wife and our baby. Everyone was always smiling and was friendly, every question asked we always got an answer. If you want quality and professional care if you want friendly people around you, cleanliness please try St Thomas hospital and you won't be disappointed.

Once more Thank You for taking care of my wife and our daughter and God bless.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant clinical care and emotional support

I had my son at St Thomas' on 25/05/15 via emergency CS after being induced two days before. I was initially admitted to the home from home ward where the midwives assigned to me were extremely caring and supportive. After a slow labour I was moved to the birth centre where a complication was spotted by one amazing midwife. A team of doctors and nurses swung in to action, with one in particular taking fast, decisive steps. A team of many - all of whom offered care beyond expectation - safely delivered my son via a neat c-section which has healed ahead of schedule.

Post natal care was similarly excellent thanks to expert midwives with great bedside manner.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Clapham Caseload Team - Amazing

My husband and I were thrilled with the care from the Midwife team during the recent birth of our daughter at St Thomas' We are Canadian originally so were unsure about the maternity processes here in the UK. We were 100% satisfied and thrilled with the entire process and the wonderful staff at St Thomas'
We were exceptionally happy with the Midwife from the Clapham Case load team that delivered our daughter. The midwife was extremely professional, calm and comforting during the whole process end to end.
Thank you!!!

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 27 June 2015

Charles & Cassandra gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Great hypnobirthing experience - home from home birth centre

Just wanted to thank all of the staff at the home from home birthing centre for the fantastic care that we received during the labour and birthing of our daughter.

As soon as we arrived we let the midwife team know that we were practising hypno-birthing and our midwife could not have supported us better or more appropriately. Together we all managed to keep the room quiet, relaxing and peaceful, whilst still being reassured that we had excellent care around us if any problems did occur.

Everyone we came in contact with was very good at communicating what they were going to do and to make sure that we were comfortable with it before they did anything.

A particular thanks to the staff for supporting us superbly, and for being incredibly calm but at the same time exuding confidence. We always felt that we were in expert and caring hands.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 26 May 2015

St Thomas' replied on 28 May 2015

I am glad to read that you had such a positive experience of the Home from Home Birthing Centre. Thank you for taking the time to share these kind comments; they are much appreciated by the staff you have mentioned.

klaudius and paulina gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Absolutely brilliant

Our baby was delivered in the theater following emergency situation and although it was extremely stressful for us all the medical personnel was superb. All emergencies have instant response, parents are informed on all stages of the process and advised In a very clear manner. Finally thanks to the quality of medical treatment and expertise delivered by St Thomas midwifes and doctors mum and baby have recovered very quicKly. We Are very grateful and would definitely recommend St Thomas maternity care to everyone.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 26 April 2015

St Thomas' replied on 29 April 2015

Thank you for your kind comments, which will give much encouragement to the hard-working staff in St Thomas’ Maternity Services. I am very glad to read that you and your family received the treatment and support you needed at this difficult time. I have shared your comments with the senior nursing staff responsible for Maternity Services, who in turn will share with their teams and medical colleagues.

First class antenatal care

The obstetric medicine team at st Thomas's is excellent. I couldn't have asked for better care during both my first and second pregnancies which were blighted by severe hyperemesis. The clinical excellence, kindness and reassurance from the doctor and their team were first class and they held my hand through every week of my difficult pregnancy giving me the best possible treatments and helping ensure the safe delivery of both my children. I delivered my first baby at Tommy's and had I been nearer second time around would have chosen to do so again. Would highly recommend for any expectant mum. Thank you Tommy's team.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

St Thomas' replied on 03 June 2015

I was happy to learn that both of your pregnancies were managed with such kindness and professionalism at St Thomas’ Hospital. The Obstetric Medicine team were very touched by your thanks. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 4 stars

Some excellent care but one put me at risk

I had bleeding in early pregnancy and received excellent care from the Early pregnancy unit where I was diagnosed with a blood clot.

At my twelve week scan I asked if the size of the clot had changed the sonographer informed me 'it was of no consequence to them as they were only interested in baby'. When my partner asked a couple of questions the sonographer told him to be quiet and let them do their job. It ruined what should have been a special experience.

A few weeks later I had a large bleed with a clot the size of my fist and was admitted for five days. I feel that with a little more care even if not avoided I would have been more prepared and wouldn't have gone through the agonising worry that I did.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 05 July 2015

Excellent care - thank you

Just wanted to thank you for a wonderful experience in hospital birth. I had an excellent midwife and felt really cared for. Initially I wanted epidural but ended up without it, and felt so proud. My midwife was truly exceptional, made me believe in myself and gave me all the support I needed. The doctors were caring, the rooms clean and well equipped, the food tasty, not to mention the wonderful views :). I am so happy to have chosen this hospital. It is all about people who care and take good care of you. Could not have wished for more.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 01 June 2015

St Thomas' replied on 03 June 2015

I am very sorry to learn that you are facing such a long wait for your next appointment. From your comments, it sounds as if you were given this information in an abrupt manner and with little explanation, rather than with the sensitivity that was needed under the circumstances. For this I apologise on behalf of the hospital. I am sure that the Early Pregnancy Unit would welcome the opportunity to investigate what happened on this occasion, to make sure that all frontline staff give news to patient in an appropriate manner in future.

It may be that there is information or support that can be given while you wait for your next appointment, which may answer some of your questions and provide reassurance. If you would like to have a conversation about these issues with a member of clinical (medical or nursing) staff but no longer have their direct contact details, I hope you will contact PALS on 020 7188 8801 or at pals@gstt.nhs.uk.