St Thomas'

020 7188 7188 Westminster Bridge Road , London, SE1 7EH

378 total | 71 found in Maternity Show all reviews

Antenatal Care

Not much to add to previous reviews but I am in a similar position whereby after 5 weeks since referral I have not had any communication from the hospital and have not been able to contact the hospital - all my calls either go to voicemail or to a recorded message stating that the mailbox is full. Perhaps if the unit is understaffed, GPs should be advised not to refer pregnant patients to this unit for the time being, particularly given the time sensitivities of various scans and tests.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 06 January 2017

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Baby Delivery - Very good experience

Had a very good experience during labour. Midwife who delivered the baby is very good and supportive. Also happy with post-natal services, they discharged only after making sure that baby is breast-feeding properly. All the staff were very supportive and caring. My only concern is it is quite busy most of the times.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 02 January 2017

St Thomas' replied on 03 January 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us on your recent experience of giving birth at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that you felt well supported by the midwife during your delivery and you were happy with the postnatal services you received including support with breastfeeding. We have shared your feedback with the team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Can't get through to antenatal clinic

This is a repeat of a complaint by another person. But I am also finding it impossible to get through to the antenatal clinic. I was referred by my doctor 5 weeks ago and heard nothing, called and left a message at 8 weeks and heard nothing. Called again and answerphone message says mailbox is full so you can't leave a message. Emailed the matron's email on the website and received an out of office until January 2017. Still nothing. I appreciate it's a very busy unit but it would just be nice to get through to someone!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 December 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you have had such a frustrating time struggling to get through to the antenatal department and we would like to apologise for this. We have experienced a significant increase in the number of referrals. We have also had staffing issues in the booking office. Unfortunately these issues have resulted in delays in appointments being sent out which is very frustrating. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible. If you would like to contact our PALS Team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk they will be able to liaise directly with the department on your behalf and help you get an appointment.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

I don't know where to start

I am now 18 week pregnant and considering changing hospital. There are several problems with the antenatal care I am receiving, I will mention 3 issues: 1) First of all, it is impossible to get through to antenatal bookings (020 7188 8002): after calling them around 40 times over 3 weeks to arrange an "urgent" appointment and leaving 3 voicemails with my details, I finally managed to schedule an appointment thanks to the intervention of the complaints department. 2) My 12-week scan was an appalling experience. Having had a miscarriage before and bleeding plus other problems at the beginning of this pregnancy, my husband and I were looking forward to finally breathing a sigh of relief. After the scan, performed by a sonographer who lacked empathy, they sent us to the waiting room again saying that my blood test results were not back and that they would call us back in as soon as they got the full picture. We saw people coming and going and after around an hour of waiting I realised that I was the only woman left in the unit and most personnel had left for lunch. I started walking around and saw the sonographer wearing their coat and going towards the lifts. I ran after them and told them they hadn't given my results yet. They rudely replied they had not performed my scan. It was only when I did not let them take the lift that they agreed to check. We went back to the scan room and they looked for my results. When they finally found them (with no word of excuse) they said that in any case all was good and I needed not worry (!). At that point I looked at the computer screen and I realised that my details are all wrong...they must have entered the details of another woman under my name! 3) I have been having thyroid problems since the beginning of the pregnancy, which were diagnosed by chance by a private gynaecologist. I asked the midwife at my booking appointment to add specific blood tests to the routine ones. They replied they would only do that after I had seen the obstetrician, the first appointment available being...1 month later! When I finally saw the obstetrician (at 14 weeks!) they said I should have had blood tests much earlier, as the baby could have been impacted by the lack of follow-up in the first trimester. They ordered blood tests, and one week later the midwife wrote to me saying that the obstetrician wanted me to reduce the thyroxine I was taking. At that point however I did not trust the care I was receiving anymore and had been to an endocrinologist, who recommended to double the thyroxine. I have since then consulted two more gynaecologists, who both agree that I should double the dose and that the NHS obstetrician is simply utterly wrong. I am lucky I can afford second opinions, otherwise I would have done something potentially very damaging for my baby and myself. How can I trust anyone in this hospital anymore?

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 01 December 2016

Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 January 2017

Dear Anonymous, We are so sorry to hear about your poor experience of antenatal care. You have raised a number of issues including struggling to reach the team to arrange appointments and more recently concerns about your experience during your 12 week scan and clinical advice regarding management of your thyroid problem during your pregnancy. If you would like us to look into what happened and provide a detailed response to your concerns we would be happy to do so. You can contact our complaints team on 020 7188 3514 or via email at complaints2@gstt.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

antenatal bookings

Very disappointed with the antenatal services as i have done my referral over 2 weeks ago and still no contact when i tried to call (several times) no one ever answers the phones, my scan should be done soon and i havent even had an appointment with a midwife.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 09 December 2016

St Thomas' replied on 04 January 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you have had such a frustrating time struggling to get through to the antenatal department and we would like to apologise for this. We have experienced a significant increase in the number of referrals and have also had staffing issues in the booking office. Unfortunately this has resulted in delays in appointments being sent out. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as possible. If you would like to contact our PALS Team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk they will be able to liaise directly with the department on your behalf and help you get an appointment

Monica gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Best midwives and Doctors

My baby Amelia was born premature on 2nd of October and all the team assisting me was young, very kind and helpful, NICU team as well. I will always be grateful, thank you very much, you've helped me to bring a miracle to this world. ??

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016

St Thomas' has not yet replied.

Poor antenatal care

I'm thoughly dissapointed. Having had a GP refferal and self refferal (6 & 3 weeks respectively) I have heard nothing from the antenatal booking team or clinic, it's frustrating particularly since I've had two previous problem pregnancies. The number provided is useless. Rings and then goes to a voicemail which has a message saying the mailbox is full...I hope this changes. I've never been more dissapointed in a hospital.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 09 November 2016

St Thomas' replied on 10 November 2016

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear you have had such a frustrating time trying to get through to the antenatal department and we would like to apologise for this. We have had staffing issues in the booking office and unfortunately there is an 8 day delay on appointments going out. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as we can. If you would like to contact our PALS Team on 020 7188 8801 or email pals@gstt.nhs.uk they will be able to liaise directly with the department on your behalf and help you get an appointment.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Induction and Delivery

We decided to have our baby at St Thomas after a negative experience at our local hospital. In the months under their care I always felt I was in the best hands, whether that be during booking, ultrasounds, scheduled appts and visits to the ADU. We were lucky enough to have a fairly straightforward pregnancy, with only towards the end a serious medical problem crept up. During this time, we were very emotional and worried, but the Drs and midwives at ADU were so kind and supportive: they provided us with options and medical advice whilst remaining unjudgmental and respecting our decisions with amazing bedside manner. The way we were treated allowed us to truly trust the staff, which when an induction was discussed, made for an easier decision as we knew we were in capable hands. After a night in the Antenatal ward I was induced and luckily had a quick labour where no real medical drugs or medical assistance such as episiotomy or forceps were needed. I wanted strong pain relief, but everything escalated so quickly there wasnt time. Which again if I didnt have faith in the staff, would have made for a terrifying experience, but I trusted midwives around me, and knew they were going to put mine and my babys safety first, and at the end of the day isn't that all that matters? I spent a night and a day on Post Natal ward, where I recieved assistance on breast feeding and taking care of my newborn. There was a little bit of a delay with discharging us, but it was dealt with on the same day. There are of course staff with better bedside manner than others, but thats to be expected... but on the whole everybody was kind, hard working and communicating with eachother. The hospital is spotless and ensures you are armed with as much information as possible whilst respecting your wishes. Thank you to all the staff at St Thomas Maternity who helped make our pregnancy journey a stress free experience, and turning what could have been a very dangerous situation into a textbook perfect birth. We cant thank you enough.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 14 August 2016

St Thomas' replied on 23 August 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback with us on your recent experience of maternity care at the Trust. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with the care that you received during your pregnancy. It is good to know that staff provided you with information and you felt fully supported to make informed decisions at a critical point during your labour. We are pleased to hear that you felt that overall your experience was a positive one. We will pass your feedback onto the team.

Daisy gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 5 stars

Antenatal Day Unit

The midwives in the day unit were so very kind. When I discovered I had obstetric cholestasis and had to go in regularly, they were incredibly supportive and made me feel so much better. Things happened very quickly, I was induced within about a week of discovering the problem and this would have been a very frightening process had it not been for the great care I received from both midwives and the doctors, right up to the birth. Thank you!!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

St Thomas' replied on 22 July 2016

Thank you for sharing you experience of treatmanet and care with us. We are pleased to hear that the staff were so reassuring and supportive and that positive experience of care contiued right up to the birth of your baby. We have passed yor feedback onto the team.

Yuka gave Maternity services at St Thomas' a rating of 1 stars

Waiting time is too long

Antenatal day unit waiting time for doctors is always over 6 hours with just 3-4 outpatients. I choose this hospital because of the review; however they did not include in their leave review questionaire whether you are satisfied with your waiting time, hence they got good review, which is not fair. In fhe future they should include in their leave review questionaire "whether you are satisfied with your waiting time?".

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

St Thomas' replied on 18 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback with us following your recent visit to the antenatal day unit. We would like to apologise for the length of time you had to wait in the unit. In addition to running clinics for women who need to see us regularly the unit also sees women who need to be seen in an emergency. We assess women who need to be seen as an emergency on the basis of clinical need when they arrive. This means that we see patients in order of priority, not when they arrive and unfortunately may mean that some patients experience longer waits than we would like. This issue has been recognised and we are currently working on plans that specifically focus on women’s experience in the Antenatal Day Unit. Thank you for your feedback regarding the questionnaire you completed. Although we do ask patients questions about waiting times, we will take your comments into consideration when we next review the questionnaire.