Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

01392 411 611 Barrack Road , Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW

174 total | 15 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Broken hip my mother

My mother has been admitted to Durbin ward at the end Of this week after a fall.My mum has dementia so it's very hard.I felt everything was fine until the weekend.The nurses were very Off hand and gave us very short answers when I rang and asked if she was settled I just got a yes then silence.There was no reassuring when I went in my mother was being dealt with by the nurses and was in pain .The nurse had an awful bedside manner very dismissive and mum was very dry.A cup of tea was served plonked on the side and the chap walked off bearing in mind she's flat on her back and needs prompting to drink at the best of times.I felt really worried for her over the weekend and sad at the uncaring attitude. Its sad when it's pop luck on which nurse you get determines what sort of care you get.If nurses don't want to be there then maybe they should t be doing a different job

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 11 September 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. We are very sorry to hear that your experience of Durbin Ward and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you, if you wish. In order for us to fully investigate your concerns and address the issues you have raised, we would be grateful if you could contact out PALS department on 01392 402093 so that they can take some further details from you.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I had a procedure carried out at Heavitree hospital and the staff we absolutely amazing. They were warm, friendly and reassuring. Their care and attention was superb. They kept me smiling and laughing through the whole thing. They are shining examples of NHS staff!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 08 May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital Heavitree. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Janice Jenkins gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Total hip replacement - metal on metal?

My hip replacement op on the 8th May seemed to go very well and I was given excellent care on Dyball ward.

It has been 8 weeks now since the op. I am able to walk now without crutches but am suffering pain at the top of both thighs. I assume that this is because my muscles are not used to being active again after so much time being housebound with the arthritis.

Since reading an article in the Independent newspaper about metal on metal hip replacements sometimes causing metal poisoning and other problems, my main concern now is that I do not know whether my hip replacement was metal on metal or something else. But how do I find out about this?

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 03 July 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 03 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received on Dyball Ward, following your total hip replacement. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

I would like to assure you that the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital does not carry out hip replacements with metal on metal hips, as these have never been used here. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Experience Department on (01392) 402093 - Thank you.

Sebastian f Hughes gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

On a Sunday afternoon, I rather stupidly tripped whilst carrying a tray of champagne glasses and cut my hand rather badly. I entered A&E at about 1700 and was almost immediately seen by nurse/doctor, then Xrayed . A plastic tic surgeon doctor then explained that I had cut some tendons to the fingers and that I would have to come back and have an Op. to reconnect them . They bandaged me up and I was on my way by 1915. The whole experience was efficient ad all the staff were courteous, helpful and dammed efficient.i then returned later in the week to have the operation to reconnect the tendons at Wonford, Knapp ward. Again it was done quickly under a general anesetic. Once again all the staff, nurses , doctors and Anaethetist were fantastic. Great sense of humour and obviously good at their job. It was an eye opener to me , that we take the NHS for granted, that it's just their when we need it. Thank you RD&E

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 06 February 2017

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 February 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

chelle gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Research Marfans Syndrome+other connective tissue disorders

November this year i had an appointment with i think the proper name is Teaching Officer. I have seen them twice,i am always nervous about seeing anyone new at the hospital but they are really helpful and have tons of empathy,it makes life so much easier especially when your struggling with continual pain and tiredness.It is incredibly important to me that research continues into these disorders.When i was younger i agreed to quite a lot of research at various hospitals and endless student doctors at king college hospital all were respectful.Today i had a hip xray and a through check up from my Teaching Officer and i filled in several pages of research which i should have done months ago but they did`nt say anything about that thank goodness. They examined me throughly and checked my back as my neck is dropping to one side freezing my neck on one side and impairing my breathing.Also i keep getting a bad twisting pain in the bone of my thigh as i walk,this is to do with the disorders i have and that i cannot absorb vitamin d so my levels are critical,but the hip is staying in place it has not dislocated because of the skill of the surgeons and putting a stent in,what they did was amazing,Okay i have to use a wheelchair quite a lot but i have the absolute joy of walking outside and talking to my neighbours and really short walks which i am very grateful for and the days i cannot do it i know i can look forward!

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 20 December 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 22 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are happy with the care you are receiving in our Orthopaedic Department. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Joseph gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

first rate spinal team

Grateful thanks to everyone on the spinal team - all doctors, receptionist, theatre staff, ward nurses and staff - all highly professional and caring. After severe pain for 10 months, I had surgery for lumbar decompression L4/L5 on 3 Oct and was immediately free from any pain. I had wonderful care from the whole team from before, during, and after the surgery. All these people are a real credit to the NHS! Thank you to all again.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 16 December 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 16 December 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received under the Spinal Team. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Elective spinal surgery

After a year of investigation and diagnosis, I was admitted for spinal fusion surgery. The surgical team were communicative, friendly and reassuring. I should also mention the ESP whose attentive examinations and explanations gave me the courage to undergo an anterior lumbar fusion.

I had no idea what to expect as an outcome since no promises are made. I can truly say that now one month post op, my previous debilitating nerve pain is all but gone and I am again able to walk 5 miles pain free and am slowly returning to aqua exercise and other normal daily activities. The first month post op is filled with challenges, mainly around balancing the pain meds against the level of residual pain from incisions, nerve healing, and fusion hardware finding its place in my back.

My in-hospital experience was very good, considering so many staff were involved in the various things done to me. In general, the attitude of staff at the RD&E is really lovely. Xray, porters, admissions staff, or staff...all really good.

I would like to recognise one particular Dyball ward nurse as being outstanding. A thoroughly competent and assertive professional who really goes to bat for their patients. They truly have a passion for their work and it shows.

Most of the ward staff were caring and businesslike; a couple of nurses had poor bedside manner and really soured the experience with their off hand attitudes.

I did feel the stress of being stuck in a public ward for several nights with the changes of staff every 12 hours, one can come to dread who will be the next supervisor, since some like to keep those fluorescent lights on all the time, even in daytime, and without acknowledging they shine straight in a patient's eyes. All nurses should be required to spend 24 hours lying on a ward bed to,see the other perspective! I had one incident where my cannula was becoming rapidly infected and the attending nurse would not remove it even though I was not taking any IV meds. I felt I had to make a huge fuss to get some action even when it was obvious my arm was red and visibly swelling. That was very distressing and the nurse involved never apologised or appeared to learn from the issue. To this day, I still have a scar on my wrist and residual bruising down my arm from that incident.

Diet: can it be noted that the staff who serve breakfast are only offering cereal and toast to patients who are on narcotic meds...which are hugely constipating? When we asked for something soft like prunes and yogurt, the first response was "oh those taste awful, you don't want that". To be perfectly honest, the most pain I suffered in the days after discharge had nothing to do with my incision, my back, or nerve pain....it was from being severely constipated! Note to staff: Senokot may be a laxative, but it only made my constipation much worse.

Looking back, I would do it all again if necessary.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 19 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care that you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. We will ensure that this positive feedback is passed on to the relevant individuals and departments involved.

With regards to the concern you have mentioned above, we are very sorry to hear that your experience was the cause of frustration and inconvenience and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. In order for us to fully investigate your concerns and address the issues you have raised, we would be grateful if you could contact out PALS department on 01392 402093 so that they can take some further details from you. We hope to hear from you soon so that these matters can be resolved. Once again, we are very sorry for your experience.

jane Ladbury gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Grateful thanks to all involved in my operation

I would like to thank all involved in my recent operation. The skill of the surgeons amazes me, when I think of the pain I was in before this procedure was done, I feel so fortunate that they have been able to relieve me of this. It is early days I know, but already I feel that life is worth living once again.
We are so fortunate to have this wonderful hospital so close to home. I must also praise the nursing staff, who work so hard, with their cheerfulness, it made my few days stay as comfortable as possible.
My only complaint would be night time, I did feel quite isolated, feeling that I would be intruding on their watch, by drawing attention to the fact that I was feeling so low and uncomfortable.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 08 April 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 11 April 2016

With regards to the concern you have mentioned above, we are very sorry to hear that your experience at night time was the cause of frustration and inconvenience and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you. In order for us to fully investigate your concerns and address the issues you have raised, we would be grateful if you could contact out PALS department on 01392 402093 so that they can take some further details from you. We hope to hear from you soon so that these matters can be resolved. Once again, we are very sorry for your experience.

A beginning

As a result of a tumble down a few stairs and landing on a stone floor my wife sustained a serious shoulder/elbow injury. Seen initially at a local hospital we were referred to Orthopaedics at RDEH and I have nothing but praise for the manner in which my wife was treated. As it happens, due to her medication for another condition, she cannot be operated on until the end of next week, hence the title of this review. Thank you RDEH for your attention yesterday and I have no doubt that this will continue next week. Three cheers for our brilliant NHS and its staff.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 29 January 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 29 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Brilliant staff

Although they were very busy. All the staff, nurses and doctors were cheerful and helpful.
Treatment was very thorough. Thank you!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 14 December 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 15 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.