Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Telephone: 01392 411 611
Address: Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW
Website: http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/

276 total | 32 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Diane Scollon gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Hip operation - excellent service - second to none

I came down to Devon for a week's family holiday on Saturday 6 June. Unfortunately, on my first trip out on Sunday 7 June, I tripped, culminating in a broken hip and surgery at the hospital that very same night.

I stayed in E Bay at Durbin ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. The help, support and services I received from the staff were amazing.

I can only say that if you were to injure any part of you and needed hospitalisation, then you would be fortunate enough to do it under their care.

I was treated with the utmost respect at all times and was spoken to by the surgeons, anaesthetist and clearly understood everything that had happened, or what was to happen.

The NHS is a wonderful institution and a lot of people do forget that at times.

I have nothing but thanks to everyone there and they made a difficult situation a lot more bearable with all their kindness. I cannot thank them all enough

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received on Durbin Ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you make a speedy recovery from your surgery.

W.T.Izzard gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Observational Response

Arrived 10=45am/Apt was 11=15am.. Excellent service at Reception. Waiting time to be consulted, very reasonable. All Staff and Nurses, efficient, and very helpful. My thanks to my consultants and all the nursing staff, and many others. Please pass on my gratitude to all involved, Yours Sincerely, W. T.Izzard.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 26 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received when you attended the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Tom Freeland gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Superb orthopedic department

I suffered an Achilles rupture in March which required surgery. From the first late night visit to A&E to yesterday's final physio visit I've been very happy and impressed with the level of care and attention I've been given throughout the different departments in Exeter.

I was quickly referred to a doctor who operated the following day and they were excellent. The team in the Capener and Durbin Wards were superb - could not have hoped for more especially realising how busy they all were. Anaesthetics were brilliant (from what I remember!), and even recall sharing a joke or 2 with the recovery nurses.

Physio appointments have all been fantastic and I cannot thank the team enough for getting me back on my feet.

There are obviously many behind the scenes / admin teams all working together as a very slick unit and everyone I came into contact with has been friendly and very professional.

Overall very pleased - you're a real credit to the NHS. Thank you!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 May 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 26 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you received at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital following Achilles tendon rupture. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you continue to make a good recovery.

Pete Fox gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Total knee replacement

12th November I had a total knee replacement. The Anaesthtist, Surgeon and surgical outcome after 8 weeks has been very good and I have started to cycle. I have written specific feedback to the hospital via the PALS service, requesting it is forwarded to the Assistant Director of Nursing. My overall inpatient satisfaction was over 80% with many examples of outstanding and good examples of 6C care. There were three aspects of care which required improvement and one aspect of care was inadequate. Using the CQC and 6c models was very helpful in being specific about key aspects of my care. The inadequate red flag incident was inadequate pain relieve as the spinal anaesthetic lost its effect, the characteristic is know to be often quite a sudden loss of pain relief. As my pain score started to increase I requested pain relief which took 1 hour to arrive and my pain remained unmanaged with a score of 8 and more for 25 hours. During this period I was unable to exercise which is essential in knee replacement. It was not until the intervention of the acute pain nurse which I requested to see did my pain become managed. The route cause of this I believe to be insufficient registered nurses to care for the number of post operative and existing ward patients. The appeared to be one registered nurse and one health care assistant for 14 patient, with 5 or more who had undergone surgery that day. When consciously at your most dependent in the first 24 hours of care, compared with staffing levels in outpatients, pre op assessment, pre op admission and PACU there were significantly less staff caring for you when you most needed them as an inpatient. I would suggest after large joint replacement the ratio of registered nurse in the first 24 hours of care should be 4/6 patients per registered nurse.
However I am not dissatisfied with my care, it is not a complaint, but effect pain management is critical in so many ways not least length of stay.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 January 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Assistant Director of Nursing for Surgical Services has provided the following response:

Thank you very much for posting your feedback. As you note I have received your feedback via the PALS department, and very much appreciate the detail you were able to provide from a personal perspective as a recipient of our services. It is pleasing to hear that you have achieved a good outcome at 8 weeks following your surgery and I sincerely hope that recovery continues so positively.

I was sorry to learn of the difficulties you experienced in relation your pain relief – clearly this is an important part of the post-operative recovery phase and is part of the basic care and attention we would aim to deliver to our patients. On this occasion it would seem that we have not met the high standards we would usually like to attain for our patients in the immediate post-operative recovery phase. Waiting an hour for pain relief is regretful and we are very sorry for the delay in responding to your request for pain relief. We will certainly look at reviewing our interventions for effective pain relief, including timely medication.

Staffing levels are constantly reviewed by the Senior Nursing teams and staffing numbers are documented at the entrance to all wards, outlining the number of nurses that should be on shift and then the number actually on shift. All ward areas are reviewed daily to ensure the number of nurses on shift provide a safe environment for our patients to be cared for. There are always times when ward areas can be busier, but safe staffing is always maintained. I am sorry if on this occasion the levels seemed low, but I can assure you we are very attentive to the number of nurses available to care for our patients.

I have asked the Senior Nurse for Trauma and Orthopaedics to review your recent submission via PALS and will be in touch again soon. I would like to thank you again for highlighting the areas you felt could be improved and also for your kind words in relation to many aspects of your care and treatment. Once again I hope your recovery continues to go well.

David Pillar gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Shoulder Replacement

Having had both shoulder joints replaced now, by the doctor & team at RD&E hospital, over the last 3 years
The whole operation and after care service has been top notch and problem free, with every doctor/nurse encountered friendly and very professional in their duties.
A real credit to our NHS system, my thanks to them all.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 19 December 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 29 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the care and treatment you have received from the staff within our Orthopaedic Department. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Emma L gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Brilliant surgeons - when you can get appointments

I came in and saw the Young adult complex hip team. They were very good and it was fascinating to get three different surgeons views on my hips. I'd previously had two ops at torbay-disaster, never again will I stop foot in there. Also I had an op at Reading hospital to fix previous mess up. I felt they were honest with me and booked me in for an arthroscopy to have a look and tidy up. This is where the problems with Rd&e begin. My op was booked for sept. I had a call beginning of aug to change to one weeks time! After a lot of child care and work jigging, I sorted it. The next day I had a call, saying sorry, equipment isn't ready until the following week. So more jigging needed. It was a nightmare but I sorted it. The op was ok, stay great. It's now been 7 months since my op and I've only seen him once. My 3/4 month check up has been cancelled twice again. So will be a 7 month check instead. I'm actually in a lot of pain so not impressed. My daughter is seeing another consultant within orthopaedics and her appointment has also changed twice! She also is in agony and the dates moved on by matte a great deal. My son goes to peadiactrics and never had this happened in the 5 years he's been visiting! Why are orthopaedics so bad? The actual hospital is great. It is, as I say, the constant moval of dates that puts a downer on it for our family.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 24 February 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Administration Line Manager for Trauma and Orthopaedics has provided the following response:

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the changing of appointment dates. It is our policy that any appointment or surgery date offered with less than three weeks’ notice is offered with no obligation to accept the date. If dates do become available at short notice we try to give patients the option of attending as we are aware that a lot of our patients are in pain and would like to have their surgery as soon as possible. I sincerely apologise that a date was offered to you without due care taken to ensure that we had the appropriate equipment available.

Unfortunately we do have to cancel and change appointments for a number of reasons, such as prioritising clinically urgent patients or rebooking patients whose appointments have had to be cancelled at short notice due to staff illness. Appointments booked more than six weeks in advance can also be affected by annual leave. We do try to minimise these changes and give as much notice as possible, but I am sorry that you and your family have experienced multiple changes to your appointments. If you contact the PALS team on 01392 402093with your details we would be glad to look into your case to see whether it is possible to expedite your follow up appointment as a result of the delays you have experienced.

For further details regarding your rights when accessing our services please visit http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/patients/access_policy.html.

Once again I would like to apologise for the experience you have had of the Orthopaedic department at the RD&E and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.

David Pipe gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

My lung operation

I have just had a Thoracitomy at this hospital and I cannot say enough about the surgeons, nurses and all the staff at Mere ward, I was treated so well, the care I received was second to none, everybody was so kind and respectfull to me I am so gratefull to these wonderful people.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent procedure. I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the care and treatment you received. It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 2 stars

very disappointed

The first time I came to the orthopedic centre I was not listened to, the surgeon wouldn't really take the time to look at the problem I had. My second visit was better she was very nice and helpful, she answered all my questions about the test and spoke to me with respect un like the surgeon. I was then told I would get a letter within three weeks to confirm another appointment. So I waited and phoned up 6 weeks later when I still didn't have a letter. The person I spoke to at the desk transfered while I was trying to explain my situation without even listening to me which again was disrespectful and down right rude. The woman I got transfered to was very helpful but I had to be transfered back to the same number I rang initially and was then told iI was in the wrong for phoning up to ask a question about my appointment after I was told I would get a letter 3 weeks previous. All in all the doctors and staff have been mostly rude on cooperative and down right disrespectful

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 05 September 2014

It is always disappointing to hear from patients that they have encountered poor staff attitude and communication regarding their care and treatment. The ethos of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital is to treat all patients, family and friends with dignity, respect and understanding. This includes the manner in which we talk to everyone, either here in the hospital or via telephone. I apologise that you have felt the communication and attitude has been was lacking, and that you did not feel you received the excellent customer service we aspire to. We would welcome the opportunity to look into this further if you could provide your details to our Patient Engagement and Experience team here at the Trust, who can be contacted on (01392) 402093. This would be helpful for learning purposes and to help us improve our service moving forwards. I do hope that you have now received a suitable appointment date but if that is not the case, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Engagement and Experience team so that an appointment can be arranged for you without delay. We are sorry to hear of your experience.

happy patient gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Thankyou to the Derbin ward for 1st class care

I was in this ward for a short time and was very pleased to say I felt like I was in a top private hospital every one was so professional and friendly and caring and had so much respect towards the patients and have a very good network of different people coming through from refreshment trolley, cleaners, nurses, pysio.tablets, blood pressure, bed change, pillow propped up food menu doctors,sisters etc etc no wonder they have awards for being one of the very best wards in the rd&e hospital even the beds were comfy and pillows i am a patient who went in after an accident with no over night bag and they all made me very comfortable as possible giving me things I needed tooth brush/paste towel a special thankyou to a student nurse fron plymouth uni she was one of the kindest people i have ever met in my life nothing is to much trouble for her or the others thank you Durbin

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 19 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and for the lovely comments. It is so rewarding to hear that our staff our continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.
Tracy

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication & rude staff

Every member of staff we met were rude, unhelpful and had poor communication skills. We were told to take a seat and a member of staff would come & answer our query. An hour later I enquired and received a brisk reply. A little while later a rude HCA informed me we would have to wait, when my query was, could we wait to be seen. Nobody listened, nobody looked like they cared, and their bedside manner was non-existent.
The staff need to learn some manners, be kind and smile. Patients are in pain and are worried, and should not be treated in such a dismissive manner.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 May 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 20 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you can call the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402093 or 402071.
Tracy