Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

01392 411 611 Barrack Road , Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW

331 total | 42 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

A beginning

As a result of a tumble down a few stairs and landing on a stone floor my wife sustained a serious shoulder/elbow injury. Seen initially at a local hospital we were referred to Orthopaedics at RDEH and I have nothing but praise for the manner in which my wife was treated. As it happens, due to her medication for another condition, she cannot be operated on until the end of next week, hence the title of this review. Thank you RDEH for your attention yesterday and I have no doubt that this will continue next week. Three cheers for our brilliant NHS and its staff.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 29 January 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 29 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Brilliant staff

Although they were very busy. All the staff, nurses and doctors were cheerful and helpful.
Treatment was very thorough. Thank you!

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 14 December 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 15 December 2015

Bill Bailey gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Lumbar Decompression Orthopaedics

My surgeon performed this operation on me on the 9th Nov 2015 and now 14th Dec am well on the road to total recovery.

I was unable to walk far and in constant discomfort prior to the procedure and getting progressively worse.

I am now free of the discomfort and post operation aches and pains are easing off rapidly.
Many thanks to all concerned.

Visited in November 2015. Posted on 14 December 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 14 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Trauma and Orthopaedic Department at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you received, and that you have benefitted so much from your surgery. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I hope that you continue to make a good recovery.

Complicated fracture.

My disabled sister, Anna, sustained a complicated fracture that required a knee replacement revision.
She received superb care from the excellent team of surgeons and the nursing and ancillary staff of Tavey and Dyball wards.
I am a doctor in Australia and I was happy to tell my colleagues over here what great care your Unit delivers. Well done and many thanks from our grateful family.

Dr Sheilagh C
Cloncurry, Queensland.

Visited in October 2015. Posted on 03 January 2016

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Orthopaedic department at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care your sister received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Gina J gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Total hip replacement PEOC

I cannot rate my treatment and the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre too highly. After having an increasingly difficult arthritic and sclerotic hip for many years I was given the go-ahead and chose RD&E for my treatment. From the outset I could not have been involved or informed more thoroughly
It was a superb experience. I was able to communicate properly about my admission which was delayed because of an underlying condition. I co-operated fully in the pre-op plan, as I don't mess about with my health and the support was always encouraging from the consultant, their secretary, physiotherapists etc etc. The operation went well, and the care I received in Dyball Ward was excellent. The nursing staff really gave excellent care, treated me with respect and kindness. The clinical staff were very informative. There was absolutely no hiccup during my stay or on discharge.
The aftercare was excellent and very encouraging and helpful. Every question and worry answered.
I would not hesitate to trust my health care to them again. Thank you. All of you.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 05 November 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 11 November 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Trauma team orthopedic ED excellent waiting 4 op upsetting

Having fell and badly dislocated fractured ankle
The paramedics 999 ambulance wonderful , the trauma ED team so lovely quickly saw me always discussed with me what was happening & were very caring , excellent ! The lead consultant was brilliant. Just not so good heading back twice now to fracture clinic Friday I was told was op then consultant said no too soon come back mon operate tues , so I did & now I'm told by hospital can't fit me on list although I was 4th yesterday on list for today , now come back tomorrow , the effort & trauma to get out of your house into a car and into hospital is awful the pain unbearable , but still they want you to do it again tomorrow as can't fit you in again . I'm in tears it's so upsetting & no one cares just too many people

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 25 August 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 02 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I amdelighted to hear that you were so happy with the care you received in the Emergency Department. However, we would like to sincerely apologise for the pain and inconvenience you experienced, as it is an issue which we take very seriously. Our Trauma surgeons run an operating list every day of the year, and usually this is sufficient to meet the demands upon the service. However, from 20th to the 24th August we unfortunately had a very high number of trauma patients who needed emergency surgery. Wherever possible we identified additional theatre time to meet this additional demand, but we did also take the decision to cancel a number of patients who had planned surgery scheduled in order to accommodate emergency patients. As a result of both of these actions, we were able to operate on all patients who had been delayed by Wednesday 26th August.

had total hip replacement last weekend.

Care and aftercare within rd&e was good until I signed the release paper work. Tavy ward. Had to ask and ask to leave. Was shown a wheelchair by a nurse who dumped my bags on my lap telling my wife to pull it backwards. Feet wern't even put on rest by nurse wife did this. We had no help to get into car nor were we shown how to get into the car crucial I would have thought. My wife had to phone four wards before finding out where I was. She came in , in the end as she was getting fed up giving the run around. I have now received a follow up appoint with a different surgeon so another phone call on Monday. Staff all wear blue scrubs so can't tell who is who trained or untrained and don't seem to have name badges.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 11 July 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 14 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your comments have been discussed with the Matron for Tavy Ward, who would like to apologise for your discharge experience. It is difficult for her to comment in detail without knowing the operation you had here at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital as discharge procedures vary slightly for different operations. However, we always aim to provide a high standard of care and the Matron is disappointed that you do not feel this happened in this instance.

With regard to the identification of staff, all staff are supposed to wear identification badges. The Matron has spoken to staff on the ward to remind them of the importance of this.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention, as feedback from our patients is invaluable in helping to us to improve our services. If you would like to discuss matters further, please contact PALS on (01392) 402093.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 3 stars

Lack of information and differing opinion on treatment .

I attended this hospital as an outpatient and was told i required surgery .i was impressed with the facilitys and the surgeon, they explained the operation and gave me leaflets .the operation time came quick but at the pre op i was suffering an infection . A new date was given .and i was called back and saw a collegue of my surgeon. They explained the surgery i was having had another procedure which my surgeon had not told me about, they also ignored my concerns about the dangers of the treatment i was going to undertake. The consultant told me i was young and would be ok .completly ignored the fact i had underlying conditions .i allowed them to acess me with a student .which was fine .my surgeon came in at the end of the consultation i dont understand why i was called back again as the nurse told me the pre op could be done over the phone .4 days later i decided not to have the operation as they told me the op would only arrest the situation not cure it .a lot of risk and pain for no gain and no alternative s offerd . The 2nd consultation scared the hell out of me .and the way they fobbed of the dangers and concerns as trivial is a concern .

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 09 August 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 August 2015

I would like to apologise that you felt distressed following your preoperative appointment for surgery. The aim of these appointments is to check that you are physically healthy and prepared for surgery and to discuss any last minute concerns you may have. I am sorry that this was an unsatisfactory experience for you that resulted in you deciding not to proceed with your planned surgery. If you would like us to investigate this further please contact the PALS team on 01392 402093 and we would be pleased to do so.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and assure you that receiving feedback about a patient’s experience is a valuable part of our continuing efforts to maintain high quality care and meet patient expectations.

Slipped Femoral Ephysis

I needed this surgery urgently and although it was all done very quick it was done well and has healed fine so far, as a 15/16 the doctor explained everything to me clearly and I knew what to expect from the operation, I'm so happy and thankful of the outcome

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 13 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours area always gratefully received. I hope that you continue to make a good recovery.

Diane Scollon gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Hip operation - excellent service - second to none

I came down to Devon for a week's family holiday on Saturday 6 June. Unfortunately, on my first trip out on Sunday 7 June, I tripped, culminating in a broken hip and surgery at the hospital that very same night.

I stayed in E Bay at Durbin ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. The help, support and services I received from the staff were amazing.

I can only say that if you were to injure any part of you and needed hospitalisation, then you would be fortunate enough to do it under their care.

I was treated with the utmost respect at all times and was spoken to by the surgeons, anaesthetist and clearly understood everything that had happened, or what was to happen.

The NHS is a wonderful institution and a lot of people do forget that at times.

I have nothing but thanks to everyone there and they made a difficult situation a lot more bearable with all their kindness. I cannot thank them all enough

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received on Durbin Ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you make a speedy recovery from your surgery.