Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Telephone: 01392 411 611
Address: Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW
Website: http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/

218 total | 28 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Pete Fox gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Total knee replacement

12th November I had a total knee replacement. The Anaesthtist, Surgeon and surgical outcome after 8 weeks has been very good and I have started to cycle. I have written specific feedback to the hospital via the PALS service, requesting it is forwarded to the Assistant Director of Nursing. My overall inpatient satisfaction was over 80% with many examples of outstanding and good examples of 6C care. There were three aspects of care which required improvement and one aspect of care was inadequate. Using the CQC and 6c models was very helpful in being specific about key aspects of my care. The inadequate red flag incident was inadequate pain relieve as the spinal anaesthetic lost its effect, the characteristic is know to be often quite a sudden loss of pain relief. As my pain score started to increase I requested pain relief which took 1 hour to arrive and my pain remained unmanaged with a score of 8 and more for 25 hours. During this period I was unable to exercise which is essential in knee replacement. It was not until the intervention of the acute pain nurse which I requested to see did my pain become managed. The route cause of this I believe to be insufficient registered nurses to care for the number of post operative and existing ward patients. The appeared to be one registered nurse and one health care assistant for 14 patient, with 5 or more who had undergone surgery that day. When consciously at your most dependent in the first 24 hours of care, compared with staffing levels in outpatients, pre op assessment, pre op admission and PACU there were significantly less staff caring for you when you most needed them as an inpatient. I would suggest after large joint replacement the ratio of registered nurse in the first 24 hours of care should be 4/6 patients per registered nurse.
However I am not dissatisfied with my care, it is not a complaint, but effect pain management is critical in so many ways not least length of stay.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 January 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Assistant Director of Nursing for Surgical Services has provided the following response:

Thank you very much for posting your feedback. As you note I have received your feedback via the PALS department, and very much appreciate the detail you were able to provide from a personal perspective as a recipient of our services. It is pleasing to hear that you have achieved a good outcome at 8 weeks following your surgery and I sincerely hope that recovery continues so positively.

I was sorry to learn of the difficulties you experienced in relation your pain relief – clearly this is an important part of the post-operative recovery phase and is part of the basic care and attention we would aim to deliver to our patients. On this occasion it would seem that we have not met the high standards we would usually like to attain for our patients in the immediate post-operative recovery phase. Waiting an hour for pain relief is regretful and we are very sorry for the delay in responding to your request for pain relief. We will certainly look at reviewing our interventions for effective pain relief, including timely medication.

Staffing levels are constantly reviewed by the Senior Nursing teams and staffing numbers are documented at the entrance to all wards, outlining the number of nurses that should be on shift and then the number actually on shift. All ward areas are reviewed daily to ensure the number of nurses on shift provide a safe environment for our patients to be cared for. There are always times when ward areas can be busier, but safe staffing is always maintained. I am sorry if on this occasion the levels seemed low, but I can assure you we are very attentive to the number of nurses available to care for our patients.

I have asked the Senior Nurse for Trauma and Orthopaedics to review your recent submission via PALS and will be in touch again soon. I would like to thank you again for highlighting the areas you felt could be improved and also for your kind words in relation to many aspects of your care and treatment. Once again I hope your recovery continues to go well.

David Pillar gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Shoulder Replacement

Having had both shoulder joints replaced now, by the doctor & team at RD&E hospital, over the last 3 years
The whole operation and after care service has been top notch and problem free, with every doctor/nurse encountered friendly and very professional in their duties.
A real credit to our NHS system, my thanks to them all.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 19 December 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 29 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the care and treatment you have received from the staff within our Orthopaedic Department. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

David Pipe gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

My lung operation

I have just had a Thoracitomy at this hospital and I cannot say enough about the surgeons, nurses and all the staff at Mere ward, I was treated so well, the care I received was second to none, everybody was so kind and respectfull to me I am so gratefull to these wonderful people.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent procedure. I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the care and treatment you received. It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 2 stars

very disappointed

The first time I came to the orthopedic centre I was not listened to, the surgeon wouldn't really take the time to look at the problem I had. My second visit was better she was very nice and helpful, she answered all my questions about the test and spoke to me with respect un like the surgeon. I was then told I would get a letter within three weeks to confirm another appointment. So I waited and phoned up 6 weeks later when I still didn't have a letter. The person I spoke to at the desk transfered while I was trying to explain my situation without even listening to me which again was disrespectful and down right rude. The woman I got transfered to was very helpful but I had to be transfered back to the same number I rang initially and was then told iI was in the wrong for phoning up to ask a question about my appointment after I was told I would get a letter 3 weeks previous. All in all the doctors and staff have been mostly rude on cooperative and down right disrespectful

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 05 September 2014

It is always disappointing to hear from patients that they have encountered poor staff attitude and communication regarding their care and treatment. The ethos of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital is to treat all patients, family and friends with dignity, respect and understanding. This includes the manner in which we talk to everyone, either here in the hospital or via telephone. I apologise that you have felt the communication and attitude has been was lacking, and that you did not feel you received the excellent customer service we aspire to. We would welcome the opportunity to look into this further if you could provide your details to our Patient Engagement and Experience team here at the Trust, who can be contacted on (01392) 402093. This would be helpful for learning purposes and to help us improve our service moving forwards. I do hope that you have now received a suitable appointment date but if that is not the case, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Engagement and Experience team so that an appointment can be arranged for you without delay. We are sorry to hear of your experience.

happy patient gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Thankyou to the Derbin ward for 1st class care

I was in this ward for a short time and was very pleased to say I felt like I was in a top private hospital every one was so professional and friendly and caring and had so much respect towards the patients and have a very good network of different people coming through from refreshment trolley, cleaners, nurses, pysio.tablets, blood pressure, bed change, pillow propped up food menu doctors,sisters etc etc no wonder they have awards for being one of the very best wards in the rd&e hospital even the beds were comfy and pillows i am a patient who went in after an accident with no over night bag and they all made me very comfortable as possible giving me things I needed tooth brush/paste towel a special thankyou to a student nurse fron plymouth uni she was one of the kindest people i have ever met in my life nothing is to much trouble for her or the others thank you Durbin

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 19 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and for the lovely comments. It is so rewarding to hear that our staff our continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.
Tracy

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication & rude staff

Every member of staff we met were rude, unhelpful and had poor communication skills. We were told to take a seat and a member of staff would come & answer our query. An hour later I enquired and received a brisk reply. A little while later a rude HCA informed me we would have to wait, when my query was, could we wait to be seen. Nobody listened, nobody looked like they cared, and their bedside manner was non-existent.
The staff need to learn some manners, be kind and smile. Patients are in pain and are worried, and should not be treated in such a dismissive manner.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 May 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 20 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you can call the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402093 or 402071.
Tracy

Philip Bagenal gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful treatment for a rotation cuff tear

I have nothing but respect for the extremely efficient, caring and highly professional treatment I received at the RD&E hospital and then for an operation at Exmouth hospital. I was treated very politely with great efficiency both by the administration staff and by the support staff, for initial treatment and then the final operation. The latter was exceptional in the care and individual treatment I received both by the nursing staff at Exmouth hospital and by those giving me my pre-med and after care service. It has quite restored my faith in the NHS which unfortunately never receives the good press for the thoroughly efficient service they provide in such departments as the orthopaedic section of RD&E hospital. Many thanks indeed for sorting a very painful and potentially disabling complaint which was suffered as a result of a garden fall.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 28 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the care you received and the efficiency of the staff. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Mark Cole gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Knee surgery

I spent nearly 4 weeks in Durbin ward after I got an infection in knee op wound. All staff I dealt with provided me with excellent care and attention for my entire stay.
I wouldn't say my stay was perfect, but only had slight problems at weekends when I got the impression the ward was understaffed and stretched quite bad.
All staff treated me with respect and care at all times, and would like to thank the entire ward for helping me through a tricky time.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 July 2014

Thank you for your very kind words about the staff and your stay on Durbin ward, we will ensure these are passed onto the team. I would like to confirm that the nursing numbers at weekends are the same as those in the week, but you do get a feeling of less people around in general as the numbers of consultant rounds drops significantly. There is a reduced number of therapy staff but adequate to undertake the needs of those that need assistance. Thank you once again for your kind comments.
Assistant Director of Nursing for Surgical Services

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Orthopaedic surgery - foot

From the moment of booking in to Capener Ward and those Wards that I was transferred to after surgery, all aspects of nursing and medical care were maintained perfectly.
Listing the relevant areas and points would come across as 'staged' but I can ASSURE you; I would not want to go anywhere else for treatment.

The Hygiene Department, Catering and Portering, displayed total efficiency, discretion and respect. At no point was my dignity compromised during treatment by all Staff.

Please accept my sincere gratitude.

AAmes

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 14 February 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. It is always so rewarding to hear that the RD&E are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.

Tracy

Mandy lou gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

orthopaedic arm superb treatment

I've had 3 surgeries to for Ulna Shortening in another hospital, finally changed to Exeter RD&E.
Went for surgery by the consultant. He fixed a very difficult ulna non union. Not sure HOW he did it. It looked a right mess pre op.
He fixed it perfectly. The staff there are brilliant.
Clean wards, attentive staff and plan to go back there again for back surgery.
Very confident.
Mandy Bennett.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 17 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 18 July 2014

Dear Mandy
Thank you for sharing your story and for your lovely comments. It is always so rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.