Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Telephone: 01392 411 611
Address: Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW
Website: http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/

292 total | 36 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Trauma team orthopedic ED excellent waiting 4 op upsetting

Having fell and badly dislocated fractured ankle
The paramedics 999 ambulance wonderful , the trauma ED team so lovely quickly saw me always discussed with me what was happening & were very caring , excellent ! The lead consultant was brilliant. Just not so good heading back twice now to fracture clinic Friday I was told was op then consultant said no too soon come back mon operate tues , so I did & now I'm told by hospital can't fit me on list although I was 4th yesterday on list for today , now come back tomorrow , the effort & trauma to get out of your house into a car and into hospital is awful the pain unbearable , but still they want you to do it again tomorrow as can't fit you in again . I'm in tears it's so upsetting & no one cares just too many people

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 25 August 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 02 September 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I amdelighted to hear that you were so happy with the care you received in the Emergency Department. However, we would like to sincerely apologise for the pain and inconvenience you experienced, as it is an issue which we take very seriously. Our Trauma surgeons run an operating list every day of the year, and usually this is sufficient to meet the demands upon the service. However, from 20th to the 24th August we unfortunately had a very high number of trauma patients who needed emergency surgery. Wherever possible we identified additional theatre time to meet this additional demand, but we did also take the decision to cancel a number of patients who had planned surgery scheduled in order to accommodate emergency patients. As a result of both of these actions, we were able to operate on all patients who had been delayed by Wednesday 26th August.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 3 stars

Lack of information and differing opinion on treatment .

I attended this hospital as an outpatient and was told i required surgery .i was impressed with the facilitys and the surgeon, they explained the operation and gave me leaflets .the operation time came quick but at the pre op i was suffering an infection . A new date was given .and i was called back and saw a collegue of my surgeon. They explained the surgery i was having had another procedure which my surgeon had not told me about, they also ignored my concerns about the dangers of the treatment i was going to undertake. The consultant told me i was young and would be ok .completly ignored the fact i had underlying conditions .i allowed them to acess me with a student .which was fine .my surgeon came in at the end of the consultation i dont understand why i was called back again as the nurse told me the pre op could be done over the phone .4 days later i decided not to have the operation as they told me the op would only arrest the situation not cure it .a lot of risk and pain for no gain and no alternative s offerd . The 2nd consultation scared the hell out of me .and the way they fobbed of the dangers and concerns as trivial is a concern .

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 09 August 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 August 2015

I would like to apologise that you felt distressed following your preoperative appointment for surgery. The aim of these appointments is to check that you are physically healthy and prepared for surgery and to discuss any last minute concerns you may have. I am sorry that this was an unsatisfactory experience for you that resulted in you deciding not to proceed with your planned surgery. If you would like us to investigate this further please contact the PALS team on 01392 402093 and we would be pleased to do so.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention and assure you that receiving feedback about a patient’s experience is a valuable part of our continuing efforts to maintain high quality care and meet patient expectations.

had total hip replacement last weekend.

Care and aftercare within rd&e was good until I signed the release paper work. Tavy ward. Had to ask and ask to leave. Was shown a wheelchair by a nurse who dumped my bags on my lap telling my wife to pull it backwards. Feet wern't even put on rest by nurse wife did this. We had no help to get into car nor were we shown how to get into the car crucial I would have thought. My wife had to phone four wards before finding out where I was. She came in , in the end as she was getting fed up giving the run around. I have now received a follow up appoint with a different surgeon so another phone call on Monday. Staff all wear blue scrubs so can't tell who is who trained or untrained and don't seem to have name badges.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 11 July 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 14 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your comments have been discussed with the Matron for Tavy Ward, who would like to apologise for your discharge experience. It is difficult for her to comment in detail without knowing the operation you had here at the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital as discharge procedures vary slightly for different operations. However, we always aim to provide a high standard of care and the Matron is disappointed that you do not feel this happened in this instance.

With regard to the identification of staff, all staff are supposed to wear identification badges. The Matron has spoken to staff on the ward to remind them of the importance of this.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to bring your experience to our attention, as feedback from our patients is invaluable in helping to us to improve our services. If you would like to discuss matters further, please contact PALS on (01392) 402093.

Slipped Femoral Ephysis

I needed this surgery urgently and although it was all done very quick it was done well and has healed fine so far, as a 15/16 the doctor explained everything to me clearly and I knew what to expect from the operation, I'm so happy and thankful of the outcome

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 13 July 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you have received. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours area always gratefully received. I hope that you continue to make a good recovery.

Diane Scollon gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Hip operation - excellent service - second to none

I came down to Devon for a week's family holiday on Saturday 6 June. Unfortunately, on my first trip out on Sunday 7 June, I tripped, culminating in a broken hip and surgery at the hospital that very same night.

I stayed in E Bay at Durbin ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. The help, support and services I received from the staff were amazing.

I can only say that if you were to injure any part of you and needed hospitalisation, then you would be fortunate enough to do it under their care.

I was treated with the utmost respect at all times and was spoken to by the surgeons, anaesthetist and clearly understood everything that had happened, or what was to happen.

The NHS is a wonderful institution and a lot of people do forget that at times.

I have nothing but thanks to everyone there and they made a difficult situation a lot more bearable with all their kindness. I cannot thank them all enough

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 June 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received on Durbin Ward in the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you make a speedy recovery from your surgery.

W.T.Izzard gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Observational Response

Arrived 10=45am/Apt was 11=15am.. Excellent service at Reception. Waiting time to be consulted, very reasonable. All Staff and Nurses, efficient, and very helpful. My thanks to my consultants and all the nursing staff, and many others. Please pass on my gratitude to all involved, Yours Sincerely, W. T.Izzard.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 22 May 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 26 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care you received when you attended the Princess Elizabeth Orthopaedic Centre at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Tom Freeland gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Superb orthopedic department

I suffered an Achilles rupture in March which required surgery. From the first late night visit to A&E to yesterday's final physio visit I've been very happy and impressed with the level of care and attention I've been given throughout the different departments in Exeter.

I was quickly referred to a doctor who operated the following day and they were excellent. The team in the Capener and Durbin Wards were superb - could not have hoped for more especially realising how busy they all were. Anaesthetics were brilliant (from what I remember!), and even recall sharing a joke or 2 with the recovery nurses.

Physio appointments have all been fantastic and I cannot thank the team enough for getting me back on my feet.

There are obviously many behind the scenes / admin teams all working together as a very slick unit and everyone I came into contact with has been friendly and very professional.

Overall very pleased - you're a real credit to the NHS. Thank you!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 20 May 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 26 May 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am delighted to hear that you are so happy with the care and treatment you received at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital following Achilles tendon rupture. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received. I do hope that you continue to make a good recovery.

Pete Fox gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Total knee replacement

12th November I had a total knee replacement. The Anaesthtist, Surgeon and surgical outcome after 8 weeks has been very good and I have started to cycle. I have written specific feedback to the hospital via the PALS service, requesting it is forwarded to the Assistant Director of Nursing. My overall inpatient satisfaction was over 80% with many examples of outstanding and good examples of 6C care. There were three aspects of care which required improvement and one aspect of care was inadequate. Using the CQC and 6c models was very helpful in being specific about key aspects of my care. The inadequate red flag incident was inadequate pain relieve as the spinal anaesthetic lost its effect, the characteristic is know to be often quite a sudden loss of pain relief. As my pain score started to increase I requested pain relief which took 1 hour to arrive and my pain remained unmanaged with a score of 8 and more for 25 hours. During this period I was unable to exercise which is essential in knee replacement. It was not until the intervention of the acute pain nurse which I requested to see did my pain become managed. The route cause of this I believe to be insufficient registered nurses to care for the number of post operative and existing ward patients. The appeared to be one registered nurse and one health care assistant for 14 patient, with 5 or more who had undergone surgery that day. When consciously at your most dependent in the first 24 hours of care, compared with staffing levels in outpatients, pre op assessment, pre op admission and PACU there were significantly less staff caring for you when you most needed them as an inpatient. I would suggest after large joint replacement the ratio of registered nurse in the first 24 hours of care should be 4/6 patients per registered nurse.
However I am not dissatisfied with my care, it is not a complaint, but effect pain management is critical in so many ways not least length of stay.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 04 January 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Assistant Director of Nursing for Surgical Services has provided the following response:

Thank you very much for posting your feedback. As you note I have received your feedback via the PALS department, and very much appreciate the detail you were able to provide from a personal perspective as a recipient of our services. It is pleasing to hear that you have achieved a good outcome at 8 weeks following your surgery and I sincerely hope that recovery continues so positively.

I was sorry to learn of the difficulties you experienced in relation your pain relief – clearly this is an important part of the post-operative recovery phase and is part of the basic care and attention we would aim to deliver to our patients. On this occasion it would seem that we have not met the high standards we would usually like to attain for our patients in the immediate post-operative recovery phase. Waiting an hour for pain relief is regretful and we are very sorry for the delay in responding to your request for pain relief. We will certainly look at reviewing our interventions for effective pain relief, including timely medication.

Staffing levels are constantly reviewed by the Senior Nursing teams and staffing numbers are documented at the entrance to all wards, outlining the number of nurses that should be on shift and then the number actually on shift. All ward areas are reviewed daily to ensure the number of nurses on shift provide a safe environment for our patients to be cared for. There are always times when ward areas can be busier, but safe staffing is always maintained. I am sorry if on this occasion the levels seemed low, but I can assure you we are very attentive to the number of nurses available to care for our patients.

I have asked the Senior Nurse for Trauma and Orthopaedics to review your recent submission via PALS and will be in touch again soon. I would like to thank you again for highlighting the areas you felt could be improved and also for your kind words in relation to many aspects of your care and treatment. Once again I hope your recovery continues to go well.

David Pillar gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Shoulder Replacement

Having had both shoulder joints replaced now, by the doctor & team at RD&E hospital, over the last 3 years
The whole operation and after care service has been top notch and problem free, with every doctor/nurse encountered friendly and very professional in their duties.
A real credit to our NHS system, my thanks to them all.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 19 December 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 29 December 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are so pleased with the care and treatment you have received from the staff within our Orthopaedic Department. I would like to thank you very much for your positive feedback. Kind comments such as yours are always gratefully received.

Emma L gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Brilliant surgeons - when you can get appointments

I came in and saw the Young adult complex hip team. They were very good and it was fascinating to get three different surgeons views on my hips. I'd previously had two ops at torbay-disaster, never again will I stop foot in there. Also I had an op at Reading hospital to fix previous mess up. I felt they were honest with me and booked me in for an arthroscopy to have a look and tidy up. This is where the problems with Rd&e begin. My op was booked for sept. I had a call beginning of aug to change to one weeks time! After a lot of child care and work jigging, I sorted it. The next day I had a call, saying sorry, equipment isn't ready until the following week. So more jigging needed. It was a nightmare but I sorted it. The op was ok, stay great. It's now been 7 months since my op and I've only seen him once. My 3/4 month check up has been cancelled twice again. So will be a 7 month check instead. I'm actually in a lot of pain so not impressed. My daughter is seeing another consultant within orthopaedics and her appointment has also changed twice! She also is in agony and the dates moved on by matte a great deal. My son goes to peadiactrics and never had this happened in the 5 years he's been visiting! Why are orthopaedics so bad? The actual hospital is great. It is, as I say, the constant moval of dates that puts a downer on it for our family.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 24 February 2015

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 12 March 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our Administration Line Manager for Trauma and Orthopaedics has provided the following response:

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by the changing of appointment dates. It is our policy that any appointment or surgery date offered with less than three weeks’ notice is offered with no obligation to accept the date. If dates do become available at short notice we try to give patients the option of attending as we are aware that a lot of our patients are in pain and would like to have their surgery as soon as possible. I sincerely apologise that a date was offered to you without due care taken to ensure that we had the appropriate equipment available.

Unfortunately we do have to cancel and change appointments for a number of reasons, such as prioritising clinically urgent patients or rebooking patients whose appointments have had to be cancelled at short notice due to staff illness. Appointments booked more than six weeks in advance can also be affected by annual leave. We do try to minimise these changes and give as much notice as possible, but I am sorry that you and your family have experienced multiple changes to your appointments. If you contact the PALS team on 01392 402093with your details we would be glad to look into your case to see whether it is possible to expedite your follow up appointment as a result of the delays you have experienced.

For further details regarding your rights when accessing our services please visit http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/patients/access_policy.html.

Once again I would like to apologise for the experience you have had of the Orthopaedic department at the RD&E and we look forward to hearing from you shortly.