Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford)

Telephone: 01392 411 611
Address: Barrack Road, Exeter, Devon, EX2 5DW
Website: http://www.rdehospital.nhs.uk/

187 total | 26 found in Orthopaedics Show all reviews

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 2 stars

very disappointed

The first time I came to the orthopedic centre I was not listened to, the surgeon wouldn't really take the time to look at the problem I had. My second visit was better she was very nice and helpful, she answered all my questions about the test and spoke to me with respect un like the surgeon. I was then told I would get a letter within three weeks to confirm another appointment. So I waited and phoned up 6 weeks later when I still didn't have a letter. The person I spoke to at the desk transfered while I was trying to explain my situation without even listening to me which again was disrespectful and down right rude. The woman I got transfered to was very helpful but I had to be transfered back to the same number I rang initially and was then told iI was in the wrong for phoning up to ask a question about my appointment after I was told I would get a letter 3 weeks previous. All in all the doctors and staff have been mostly rude on cooperative and down right disrespectful

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 05 September 2014

It is always disappointing to hear from patients that they have encountered poor staff attitude and communication regarding their care and treatment. The ethos of the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital is to treat all patients, family and friends with dignity, respect and understanding. This includes the manner in which we talk to everyone, either here in the hospital or via telephone. I apologise that you have felt the communication and attitude has been was lacking, and that you did not feel you received the excellent customer service we aspire to. We would welcome the opportunity to look into this further if you could provide your details to our Patient Engagement and Experience team here at the Trust, who can be contacted on (01392) 402093. This would be helpful for learning purposes and to help us improve our service moving forwards. I do hope that you have now received a suitable appointment date but if that is not the case, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Engagement and Experience team so that an appointment can be arranged for you without delay. We are sorry to hear of your experience.

David Pipe gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

My lung operation

I have just had a Thoracitomy at this hospital and I cannot say enough about the surgeons, nurses and all the staff at Mere ward, I was treated so well, the care I received was second to none, everybody was so kind and respectfull to me I am so gratefull to these wonderful people.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 30 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 31 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent procedure. I would like to thank you very much for your kind comments regarding the care and treatment you received. It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

Philip Bagenal gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful treatment for a rotation cuff tear

I have nothing but respect for the extremely efficient, caring and highly professional treatment I received at the RD&E hospital and then for an operation at Exmouth hospital. I was treated very politely with great efficiency both by the administration staff and by the support staff, for initial treatment and then the final operation. The latter was exceptional in the care and individual treatment I received both by the nursing staff at Exmouth hospital and by those giving me my pre-med and after care service. It has quite restored my faith in the NHS which unfortunately never receives the good press for the thoroughly efficient service they provide in such departments as the orthopaedic section of RD&E hospital. Many thanks indeed for sorting a very painful and potentially disabling complaint which was suffered as a result of a garden fall.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 28 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the care you received and the efficiency of the staff. Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Mandy lou gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

orthopaedic arm superb treatment

I've had 3 surgeries to for Ulna Shortening in another hospital, finally changed to Exeter RD&E.
Went for surgery by the consultant. He fixed a very difficult ulna non union. Not sure HOW he did it. It looked a right mess pre op.
He fixed it perfectly. The staff there are brilliant.
Clean wards, attentive staff and plan to go back there again for back surgery.
Very confident.
Mandy Bennett.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 17 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 18 July 2014

Dear Mandy
Thank you for sharing your story and for your lovely comments. It is always so rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.
Tracy

Mark Cole gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Knee surgery

I spent nearly 4 weeks in Durbin ward after I got an infection in knee op wound. All staff I dealt with provided me with excellent care and attention for my entire stay.
I wouldn't say my stay was perfect, but only had slight problems at weekends when I got the impression the ward was understaffed and stretched quite bad.
All staff treated me with respect and care at all times, and would like to thank the entire ward for helping me through a tricky time.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 07 July 2014

Thank you for your very kind words about the staff and your stay on Durbin ward, we will ensure these are passed onto the team. I would like to confirm that the nursing numbers at weekends are the same as those in the week, but you do get a feeling of less people around in general as the numbers of consultant rounds drops significantly. There is a reduced number of therapy staff but adequate to undertake the needs of those that need assistance. Thank you once again for your kind comments.
Assistant Director of Nursing for Surgical Services

happy patient gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 4 stars

Thankyou to the Derbin ward for 1st class care

I was in this ward for a short time and was very pleased to say I felt like I was in a top private hospital every one was so professional and friendly and caring and had so much respect towards the patients and have a very good network of different people coming through from refreshment trolley, cleaners, nurses, pysio.tablets, blood pressure, bed change, pillow propped up food menu doctors,sisters etc etc no wonder they have awards for being one of the very best wards in the rd&e hospital even the beds were comfy and pillows i am a patient who went in after an accident with no over night bag and they all made me very comfortable as possible giving me things I needed tooth brush/paste towel a special thankyou to a student nurse fron plymouth uni she was one of the kindest people i have ever met in my life nothing is to much trouble for her or the others thank you Durbin

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 19 June 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 19 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and for the lovely comments. It is so rewarding to hear that our staff our continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.
Tracy

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 1 stars

Poor communication & rude staff

Every member of staff we met were rude, unhelpful and had poor communication skills. We were told to take a seat and a member of staff would come & answer our query. An hour later I enquired and received a brisk reply. A little while later a rude HCA informed me we would have to wait, when my query was, could we wait to be seen. Nobody listened, nobody looked like they cared, and their bedside manner was non-existent.
The staff need to learn some manners, be kind and smile. Patients are in pain and are worried, and should not be treated in such a dismissive manner.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 18 May 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 20 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and I am very sorry to hear of the problems you experienced. We would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further and ask if you can call the Patient Engagement and Experience Team on 01392 402093 or 402071.
Tracy

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Orthopaedic surgery - foot

From the moment of booking in to Capener Ward and those Wards that I was transferred to after surgery, all aspects of nursing and medical care were maintained perfectly.
Listing the relevant areas and points would come across as 'staged' but I can ASSURE you; I would not want to go anywhere else for treatment.

The Hygiene Department, Catering and Portering, displayed total efficiency, discretion and respect. At no point was my dignity compromised during treatment by all Staff.

Please accept my sincere gratitude.

AAmes

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 14 February 2014

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. It is always so rewarding to hear that the RD&E are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.

Tracy

Daniel gave Orthopaedics at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) a rating of 5 stars

Couldn't Be Better

What a fantastic hospital, All the staff I had dealings with were polite professional and knowledgeable. Every effort was made for me to be able on both occasions to go home the same day following my ACL replacement surgery.
Anytime If ever I need further hospital treatment I shall despite living more than 50 miles away be requesting to attend the RD&E.

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 21 November 2013

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 03 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and it is always so rewarding to hear that the RD&E are continuing to provide excellent care to patients when they need it most.

spinal surgery

I can't praise this hospital enough for the care of our daughter from the pre operation treatment and the after care from her spinal surgery.All involved were caring and nothing was too much trouble for us both.Every department from the operating room to intensive care and the h d u units were all fantastic.After care for home treatment was clearly explained.Clean and a great representation of how the nhs should be.

Visited in March 2013. Posted on 31 July 2013

Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) replied on 03 January 2014

Thank you for sharing your story and it is always so rewarding to hear that the RD&E are continuing to provide excellent care to patients and their families when they need it most.