Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

cancelled operation 3rd time

2 times cancelled,, 3rd time came in arther day unit, at 6.45 I was early.got checked in all the checks with surgeon ect done got a bed waited waited,10 oclock 11 then 12 postoned.till the
afternoon. ? Great I thought, got into bowm got tags on got the socks on by this time I was hungry thirsy,, tired.then to be told it was cancelled again...how do you think I felt ... mad I have no holiday left I had gone with out food and water as I was having g/a.do I accept another date or shall I cancell to save you cancelling again...I was mad sorry if in swore in the unit I was tired hungry 3 times cancelled nurses were great the organisation is well to be told when you're changed ready, booked time off, then cancelled.so do I acept another date or shall I cancell to save you time cancelling.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 August 2015

We are very sorry to hear that you have been cancelled for the third time when you came in for surgery. We try hard to avoid cancelling patients more than once and can understand why you were so cross. If you would like to make a complaint, please email: complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk or you can speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01603 289045.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

cancelled operation 3rd time

No coment just no words can comprehend how I feel let down yet again.i wasn't late I was early... i had a bed then waited only to be told when I all ready all checks done all changed that it was cancelled again ihad been there 5 to 6 hrs what a let down.poor me I was hungry thirsy tired

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 07 August 2015

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 August 2015

We are very sorry to hear about your experience and how let down you felt after your surgery was cancelled. We have been working hard to try and avoid cancelling patients' surgery by improving bed availability in the hospital as this is one of the factors which can lead to surgery being cancelled. If you would like to make a complaint, please email: complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk or you can speak to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01603 289045.

Cyril Pike gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

lack of communication

I stayed in your hospital for 2 nights and was extremely concerned about about the lack of communication between dr and nurse, doctor and patient and nurse and patient. This resulted in me staying far longer than I needed, becoming extremely worried about my operation and having to sleep in my jeans and shirt from Sunday lunchtime until Monday evening, my bed was eventually changed after 30 hrs! I am saddened by the lack of time your staff have and the lack of care and apparent lack of respect the drs have for the nursing staff.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 August 2015

We are sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience in our hospital. If you would like to get in touch and let us have more details, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Team on 01603 289045, or to make a complaint, email: complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Wonderful Care

All staff was very kind and polite. Always there to help, ask and explain. They made me feel better and showed me I matter as a patient.
Wonderful hospital with great professionals. Thank you All! You treated me even better than in my home country!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 07 August 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent service at the Breast clinic

I attended the above on 20th August 2015 and was, at all times, treated with respect and dignity. The department was very busy but all the staff with whom I came into contact, receptionists, nurses, Doctor and radiographer were kind, helpful and very efficient.

There was a sense of calm in the waiting area and you felt that you were in safe hands.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 September 2015

Thank you for telling us about your experience in the breast clinic. Our team will be pleased to hear your feedback and the fact that the staff were kind and efficient.

Patient Opinion Logo

Derek Corbett gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Edgefield Ward

Was admitted to this ward after operation yesterday, not one ward nurse came to see me for,3 hours, eventually I went to the nurse!, all my effects were left on my bed with me during those three hours, my wife rang ward 4 times with no information given to her!, I am afraid I could go on at length bt I have already wasted enough time on this ward

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 28 August 2015

We are very sorry to hear about your poor experience and the lack of attention on the ward. Your feedback will be passed to the ward sister and you are welcome to get in touch with us if you would like to make a formal complaint. In the first instance, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

Charlie Mincher gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Very different from previous stay.and discharged with a Picc

Last year in 2014 I was on Earsham Ward for the same as this year, the debridement of a haematoma and skin graft.

Last year after surgery they placed a vacuum dressing on the open wound to keep ot clean untik the skin graft. This year they chose to put a very painful chemical on the wound similar to vinegar and bound it with crepe bandage. Within 2 hours of each daily dressing change, the bandage was continuously soggy where the wound was and seeping on the bed,

To keep my bed clean I had to wheel myself in my own wheelchair around the ward to find bath towels (besides one time I asked) staff were always too busy to fetch a protective covering between my dressing and the bedding. If the bed was soiled it remained like that nost of the day and the sight of it made me retch sometimes.

On two days my beding was changed with just a bottom sheet, no upper sheet of blanket. On my last night there this year I used my personal pyjama top over my legs after I woke at 3am (I went to sleep at 1am). After going to the toilet I sat up on the bottom sheet listening to Radio 2 waiting for the day staff to come on duty. Approcimately an hour before they did, a healthcare assistant entered sideroom 5 with a blood pressure machine and rammed it more than once against my wheelchair and the door frame. I left plenty of room for the machine. When the machine was in the room and passed my wheelchair, I was taken aback to see the healthcare assistant ram the blood pressure machine into my bed, then swing it into the wheelchair again and from there into the wall. They were very angry about something.and though not frightened, I did not want to stoke that anger so I smiled and said, "Hello Luv." (not good morning). They said, "Good morning", as they put the cuff on my arm and I felt the anger was not with me and had its origin from elsewhere in the ward.

Since day one in sideroom 5 on Earsham Ward, the used towels and gowns built up in my toilet/washroom. There was more than one gown because prior to surgery there were two cancellations, so altogther the two gowns from those 18 hour periods of 'Nil By Mouth' plus the gown I wore to surgery on the 3rd day. I told the supervisor of the cleaners about the pile of linen and they replied, "We are not allowed to touch any of that. It is the job of 'one of them' which I presumed meant a nurse or more likely a healh care assistant.

I gave up asking for fresh water ro be given to me, when waking each morning I had the same water in the jug from the day before. The catering staff 'team leader' was pulling a trolly dull of water jugs and on my last day they stopped and we looked directly at each other. through my open door. It was like they were making a decision while staring at me during those moments and I felt hopeful. The team leader then continued pulling the trolly down the corridor without giving me fresh water. I know sthey were the 'team leader' because I asked the member of staff who brought into my room the lunch on a tray.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 19 August 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Mrsburchybear gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arthur Day Procedure outoatient

Fabulous HCA's, nurses, registrar's and anaesthetist. I suffer with severe anxiety depression and the staff were fantastic. I'm not a hospital fan either due to previous family problems in another part of the hospital, but i felt very comfortable and cared for. They took good care of me for the pre-op assessment and on the day of the procedure. My latex allergy was not a problem for them and all safety measures were put in place. If (hopefully not) I have to have another day procedure I know that this unit is clean,friendly and professional.
Well done guys.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 30 August 2015

We are pleased to hear that you felt cared for and comfortable when you came to the Day Procedure Unit. We hope you are making a good recovery and you feedback will be passed the sister for this unit.

Patient Opinion Logo

James Rye gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care

I have spent time in three hospitals, and my N&N experience was by far the best to date.

I would like to express my appreciation to the doctor and team, to the staff in the Coronary Care Unit, and to the staff of Kilverstone Ward for making my stay as comfortable as possible. I appreciated the speed and efficiency with which my heart attack was dealt with, and with the quality of care provided in the theatre, and both in the CCU and on Kilverstone.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 05 August 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 August 2015

We are delighted to hear that you rate our hospital highly compared to others and that the staff treated you with speed and efficiency.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My wife's care

My wife had a massive brain haemorrhage from which she unfortunately died in hospital 9 days later. The care she received during her hospital stay could not have been better anywhere in the world. Right from the moment when I brought her to the Accident and Emergency Department through to the moment she died, my wife received wonderful care from all the team – consultants, doctors, nurses, health care assistants, cleaners and chaplains. I was given the privilege of being able to be totally with her for the last 5 days of her life. I believe that this helped her to remain calmer at such a traumatic time in her life, and it also has helped me to begin to come to terms with fact that she is no longer here.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 05 August 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 August 2015

We are sorry to hear the news about your wife and would like to offer our condolences. It is so important that patients and families receive the right care in these difficult circumstances and we would like to thank you to telling us about the support you received.