Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Anonymous gave Oncology - Clinical at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

4 day stay in oncolgy ward

First time in hospital ward. Ward contained 6 patients only and seemed new and very clean. Overall care and attention was second to none. Observations were taken regularly and action was taken immediately to respond to the results. The staff seemed to be active and had a positive attitude. Team work was quite evident. I spoke to a number of the nursing staff to ask about their job and, without exception, they all regarded it as a vocation. I cannot understand how a nurse can remain cheerful for an entire nightshift. I used to work nights and shift work and it turned me into a surly being! Some nursing staff took time to speak to patients who wanted to 'chat'', even though they were clearly busy.

Cannot thank the staff enough for their care. I count myself as very fortunate to have stayed in Mulbarton Ward.. Thought the food menu was excellent too.

Massive bonus is free wi-fi in hospital. Thanks NNUH!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 June 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 June 2016

Dear Patient
We are very grateful for your kind comments about Mulbarton Ward. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience as it will make the ward sister's day when she reads your feedback and shares it with the team. We hope you are recovering well after your hospital stay.

Patient Opinion Logo

UntilTodayInPain gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent ED triage and Urgent Care Centre Midday Today

Every member of staff was happy, kind, professional, friendly - nobody could of made my urgent trip better. The only thing that I could possibly complain about is the misleading signage that directs you to urgent care rather than to ED triage first, however helpful and knowledgeable staff rectified this without much difficulty. I was treated with the utmost respect and dignity with triage conducted in a lovely, clean side room.
A very reasonable waiting time especially for one of the busiest ED/UCCs in the area, with a complete in and out time around two hours, with waiting time in the UCC exactly as the board stated.
The GP I saw was very knowledgeable and did not judge an adolescent seeking pain management and quickly realised how agonising my condition was, prescribing appropriate medication after an involved set of decisions.
Special thanks go to the triage nurse (I'm terribly sorry that I can't remember their name), receptionist, and the doctor for their outstanding care, excellent patient involvement, swift co-operation, and brilliant mannerisms.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016

Becks reviewed Surgery - Breast at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Excellent

I went today for a lump in my breast, fast forward to having a biopsy. I have a needle phobia, the register and nurse that were with me, we're so utterly lovley and kind. Thank you and I hope this feedback is passed to them. Visit was today 24/06/16.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Still no discharge letter!

I stayed on cley ward following a hysterectomy. Most of the staff where kind and helpful, general care was good although I was not offered any help to have a shower and with the kind of surgery I'd had I could not bend or lift anything so had to wait until I went home when my husband helped me. On discharge the staff where busy so they said they would post my discharge letter to me. 5 and half weeks later I still haven't received one, despite numerous calls to the ward and after a visit to my GP recently they have not received a copy either. When they checked on the computer they said it still hadn't been signed off at the hospital. I think this is pretty bad that I've had major surgery and my doctor has no information on it.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to hear about the lack of help you received when you needed a shower during your stay, as well as the poor follow up in terms of the letter to your GP. We would like to offer help with the letter via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service which can be contacted at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk The PALS service will be able to look into the matter for you and we will also pass on your feedback to the ward sister.

Matteo reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

A great visit to radiology outpatients

My experience at the hospital massively exceeded my expectation. I receive a fast response to my doctors request for a hip x Ray for me, within one week. My appointment on 24 May was an example of first rate service. The route to the department was clearly indicated. Two reception areas on the way were staff with friendly smiling helpful staff. I was 15 minuets early and seen straight away. The radiologist was professional and efficient and interested in his role and me his patient.
The department was clean and the environment was pleasant
A far better experience than the spire clinic in Norwich.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 25 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Amyparkins3 gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment

I was admitted into hospital on Monday night for a suspected infected gallbladder, my little girl is 6 months old and exclusively breastfed and I was so worried she would have to go home while I was in hospital (she doesn't take a bottle). The hospital staff have been fantastic, it is now Friday and I had surgery to remove the gallbladder yesterday, my daughter has been with me the whole time.

After hearing so many stories of mothers in hospital being unable to have their babies with them I am so glad that this hospital were so incredibly supportive of breastfeeding. Thank you so much! And I'm sure that it will help me recover quicker also :)

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 June 2016

Dear Amy
We are very pleased to hear that you were able to carry on feeding your baby with the support of staff while you were unwell in hospital. Breastfeeding is very important for the health of babies and we try and support mums where we can. We hope you are making a good recovery now that you are back at home.

Southwold resident reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My mum's care was excellent

My Mum was admitted to the Accident and Emergency at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the afternoon recently. The care she received was excellent. The staff were also very caring of myself and my family at a time which was very traumatic for us. My mother was transferred to the critical care complex where she also received excellent care from Nurse Emma. Again, all staff were very understanding and caring towards me and my family. Nurse Emma gave me clear information as well as a realistic understanding of the situation. She cared for my mum overnight and was available to speak to me on the phone early next morning to explain what was happening. I am very grateful that my mum received such good care at such a crucial time.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 15 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

mancroft gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Faultless treatment and care

I was in the NNUH recently for an operation and overnight stay. The care and treatment that I received were faultless. Faultless anaesthetist. Faultless operation done by a top FRCS surgeon. Faultless care in the recovery room by a beautiful young nurse. Faultless overnight care. Would recommend this hospital to anybody.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 29 May 2016

Dear Mancroft
We are pleased to know that your surgery and overnight stay went well and that you had a good experience at our hospital. We hope you are making a good recovery and would like to thank you for giving your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

Robert George gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The 5 Star NNUH!

I’ve recently returned home from a 3-night stay at the 5 Star Norfolk and Norwich, following my prostate operation on Monday 23rd May. It’s taken a lengthy, protracted, investigative process, involving problems, delays and cancellations over a period of 9 months to get to my operation. But, despite all of this, I’ve been overwhelmed by the quality of care and service I’ve received from all the staff I’ve met, in all the different units I’ve visited. It feels like I’ve been all over the hospital, but actually it has all been focused on Urology, starting with the Urology ‘One Stop’ Clinic, and progressing through the Arthur South Day Procedure Unit, the Norfolk Physiology Unit, the Same Day Admission Unit, Theatre, Recovery and ending successfully in Edgefield Ward.

There have, of course been highs and a few lows. Of the highs, the accolades have to go to my consultant and registrars, the initial ultrasound scan in the ‘One Stop’ Clinic, the friendly atmosphere of the Same Day Admission Unit, the feeling of being a lead part of a comedy show within Theatre, the remarkable level of care in Recovery and the support and attention I received on Edgefield Ward.

The low was being equipped with and having to live with, a catheter for over 9 months, something I’d never dreamed of having to be equipped with. During the 9 months I have had 9 replacements, with the wretched things either falling out (Kyle of Lochalsh), blocking (Norfolk, Suffolk and Tasmania), or being replaced for the investigative process. This included 2 Urodynamics Tests (Norfolk Physiology Unit), one aborted (couldn't get the pipework in – ouch!) and one successful (although it took 4 very nice members of staff, trying very hard, to replace the catheter afterwards – quite hurty that was!), together with 3 Cystoscopy appointments (Arthur South Day Procedure Unit), one of which had to be cancelled at the last moment, due to a delayed ward round. What’s more I’ve survived 8 Urinary Tract Infections. Through this I’ve met so many kind, caring and understanding members of the NHS, during what’s been for me a very intimate and, at times somewhat uncomfortable investigative process.

I can’t really begin to describe how wonderfully well I’ve been cared for throughout and how extraordinary our NHS members of staff are, with so many outstandingly lovely characters.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 01 June 2016

Dear Mr George
We very much hope you are making a good recovery after your marathon journey with us. With so many staff involved in your care, it is delightful to hear that you have been well looked after with everyone being kind and caring. Thank you for telling us about your journey and mentioning the teams involved as they will be pleased to hear about your experience.

Lykewake reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Rude Receptionist

I have just had a very poor experience with a receptionist in the Gynaecology department of the Norwich & Norfolk University Hospital.
I have been waiting on scan results for a few weeks and recently got a letter in the post which made an appointment for me to talk through my results at a time that wasn't appropriate for me.
When I phoned to change the appointment, I was met with a very rude and abrupt woman. I was first asked why I could not attend, to which I replied that work commitments made it impossible. I suggested that a weekend or late afternoon appointment would be better as I could work it around my working day.
The response was incredibly curt, we can only do morning weekday appointments. When I pressed and said that was very difficult for me to arrange, the response was, then you can't have an appointment.
While I appreciate that she was evidently restricted by her clinic hours, her tone was not appreciated and felt that she could have been more helpful with a patient who is awaiting results and is already highly stressed out. There are polite ways to tell a patient that their request cannot be accommodated. This was not one of them.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 31 May 2016 using Patient Opinion