Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

anita meagan reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

hip operation

my husband has been waiting for hip operation after it had been cancelled twice we finally got to go on jan8th 2015 .we arrived at the day admission unit at 6.30am and was told that he was 3rd on the list and would been seen by nurse to be admitted. At 10.45am I asked if he had been forgotten as everybody else had been seen .We was told that there was a problem with the theatre and that my husband consultant could not start his operation list until 12noon and they finally sent a docter to see us and explaine what was going on .my husband was finally told to change into his gown and given his pre operation tablets at 4.30pm only to be told at 4.50pm that his operation would not go ahead and he had to come home taken into account he is a diabetic and could not take his tablets as they have to be taken with food and had been nil by mouth since midnight the day before. we know that the NHS is under pressure but my husband also suffers from depression and im the one that has had to pick up the pieces today and try to lift his spirits .Now we have to start allover again trips for pre op assesments and waiting for letters to arrive with another date probably to be told its cancelled again.I only wish that I could afford to have it done privately so he could be pain free .Looking forward to a reply from .

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 14 January 2015

We are sorry that your husband has had his operation cancelled three times. The hospital has been under exceptional pressure dealing with a huge rise in emergency demand and this has led to us rescheduling some operations. All cases are reviewed and prioritised according to clinical need and re-booked accordingly. We understand that this is distressing to patients and we are sorry for the disruption and upset this has caused.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

waste of time

Been under the hospital for several years with walking problems, have been sent from dept to dept to no avail. Final straw came Friday I visied my consultant who asked if things had improved I said no it was still the same, his response the treatment you have been having may actually weaken the leg, I will get you an appt for a scan. 32 mins, £2.00 car park, basically go home appt will follow dont worry I have a 40mile round trip, take time off work,
I'll just go away. The symptoms have never changed I respect the fact it is now a 'teaching hospital' but I thought you should also cure the sick, my quality of life is being badly affected and the waiting does not help, luckily I have understanding employers

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 11 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 January 2015

We are sorry to hear you have had this experience and would be grateful if you would contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service PALS@nnu.nhs.uk so that this can be investigated.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First time in hospital!

I recently visited the n&n Due to chest pain, I arrived by ambulance where I was taken straight inside an had my blood pressure taken, although the first nurse wasn't the friendliest I understand they were very busy! Because of my age (16) they decide I was able to go into the children's A&E area where I was bedded immediately and seen to by a delightful nurse who couldn't help enough! She made everything seem like it was no problem and made me feel very relaxed . I had some tests done and they came back not very good as explained by a male doctor who helped us understand what was actually going on therefore I was taken straight to the cardiac unit on a monitor! All the staff were amazing, I was crying my eyes out due to being very scared and worried about what was happening with my heart and being in a completely new place and everything happening so quickly! Whilst further tests were being done they gave me and my mother tea and biscuits and settled us in where we were greeted by my delightful nurse! As a teenager im very fussy and was tired and in a fair bit of pain but joy made my night in the hospital comfortable and relaxed and again, couldn't have helped us any more if she'd have tried (including my mothers high demand for coffee) it was comforting to know my mum and dad could visit me any time on the ward and were even allowed to bring me my favorite foods! Due to my parents about to leave the nurse said my mother could stay and made her a bed up on the floor next to me, I had several minister patched attached to me and had to have quite a few tests and during these I was made to feel comfortable and they fully explained what they were doing! Thankyou to everyone that saw me and helped look after me! You are stars!!!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 04 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 23 January 2015

This must have been a frightening experience and we are pleased to know that the cardiology team looked after you and your family so well. They will be pleased to receive your feedback.

Jenny Hartt gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent support within the Neurology Dept for Parkinson's

The specialist Neurology Nurses provide a very valuable support network to Parkinson's sufferers at the NNUH. Parkinson's is a horrid disease with many different symptoms. It is progressive and affects each patient in a different way. I have been diagnosed for over a year and have found the direct and practical support given by my Specialist Nurse to be first class. She is able to listen to my issues and problems and suggest ways forward. Her excellent written communications with my GP ensure that he is up-to-speed with my ever changing condition. She is accessible by phone and is able to liaise with my Consultant and my GP to alter medication and help to ensure that my condition is well managed. The service provided is First Class. My thanks them all.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 20 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 23 January 2015

We will pass on your feedback to the neurology service. The team will be pleased to know that you have received such good support in dealing with this difficult condition.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

outpatient chest xray and blood test

I braced myself for a morning of queues and delays. It took less than an hour and a half to get a walk in chest xray and blood test. All staff were polite efficient and kind.
It really challenged by perceptions
Thanks for the help

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 08 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 09 January 2015

Thank you very much for your feedback on your experience of care with our polite, efficient and kind staff at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. We will share your feedback with the team.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

7 Hour wait to see a Doctor in AE

I attended the AE with kidney stones/renal colic doubled up in pain at 7pm 30.12.2014 and had to wait 7 hours to see a doctor today

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 09 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 January 2015

We are sorry that you had a longer wait to see a doctor. We understand that this is distressing for patients and are sorry that you have had this experience.

Carole754 gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy in the Gastro Unit

I had this procedure recently and having read a lot of comments online about how unpleasant it was I was understandably very anxious. However I found it a very easy experience with no pain and caring and considerate staff, in particular the doctor who did the procedure. Everything was explained to me and I was reassured throughout. It wouldn't be my favourite way to spend an afternoon but I can say if I have to have it done again I will be confident about every aspect of it. Well done to the Gastro Unit staff.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 04 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 07 January 2015

Thank you very much for sharing your experience of the high standard of care you received at the Gastro Unit. We will share your comments with the team.

Barbara hamlin gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement

I was admitted to N and N on 22nd Dec following a fall. Despite it being very busy a paramedic came out to me followed by St a Johns Ambulance crew. They were kindness andso careful with me. On admission to hospital I was dealt with quickly xrayed and told I had broken my hip. I was taken to the ward and the following morning I had a full hip replacement. I cannot praise the staff enough for the care and attention which I received. Staff at the sharp end get enough criticism without people moaning about the cost of the car park or choice of food. I have had reason to visit this dept. several times in the last few years and can only say thank you.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 21 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 23 January 2015

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We are pleased to hear that you received the care and attention you needed following your fall.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulance service and A & E

On a very busy night I was looked after with expertise and great care and kindness by a staff who were hugely busy and pressurised. The orthopaedic clinic, the plaster room and the X ray section were similarly totally professional.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 22 January 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 23 January 2015

We are pleased to hear that the staff were professional during a busy period. We hope that you are recovering well following your injury.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

2 experiences at this hospital neither good

If you can go somewhere else take the opportunity

Broken foot 4 different diagnosis from 4 consultants none given at hospital all given at local doctors by hospital letter

Family member in stroke ward. No visible nursing. Father treated at papworh and Ipswich hospital both had a more visible nursing staff far more kind and attentive. Norwich and norfolk nott so. press call button 10 min minimum waiting time nurses can't be bothered when they do attend. Don't do change over during visiting time if you can't be bothered to answer visiters concern of loved ones the halt hand and were changing overt followed by no follow up is cruel. If we could take our loved one somewhere else we would.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 10 December 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 19 December 2014

We are sorry to hear about your experiences at our hospital. Our Patient Advice and Liaison Service may be able to help if you are having difficulty getting information about your relative's care. Please contact PALS at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or telephone 01603 289045.