Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

SUPERCRIPP gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Smoking Problems

The hospital and staff are wonderful. Treated with kindness and respect, greeted by staff I already knew as a returning friend. I love these guys each and every one - despite what they have to do to me.

My issues with the hospital are regarding the behaviour of other patients and visitors. Although there are No Smoking notices everywhere - and I do mean everywhere, this prohibition was utterly disregarded. As we had to wait longer than usual due to an emergency in the department, we opted to sit outside in the open air being as the day was so very warm at 30°+. Unfortunately we could not find anywhere either north side or south side that was free of cigarette smoke. At every seat, at every picnic table and even on the grass directly in front of the no Smoking notices were patients and visitors blatantly smoking. There was no area free of this disgusting smoke where we could relax. It was obviously not being policed. When we spoke to staff at the clinic about the issue, they agreed that smoking outside in proximity to the building was a constant problem, but that no one did anything about it.

Frankly I find that unacceptable in this day and age. I hasten to add that I did not see any staff smoking. All the smokers appeared to be visitors or patients. Yes, even patients dragging round drips or in hospital wheelchairs had been placed outside to smoke - close to no smoking notices. There are other health authorities that will not allow patients to smoke anywhere - and I feel that this is one area where The Norwich and Norfolk Hospital could do better.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Antenatal Clinic

This clinic is shocking I have been four times now and not once have I been seen at my appointment slots there has been at least a half an delay each time. I'm currently 40 mins behind my appointment and have not been informed or spoken to about the delay! It's very frustrating.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude sister on Edgefield Ward

Sister was very rude to family and friends visiting on Edgefield ward even though we were not rude at all to them. This does not show good management or put the NNUH in a good light, and I felt very disappointed as this sister is clearly unapproachable to both visitors and patients who are vulnerable.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 14 July 2015

betts reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Giving birth to my daughter

Had planned for a home birth but unfortunately had to go into hospital when my waters broke as baby had pooed inside me so home birth was out the windows. On delivery suite my midwife Michelle was really very good couldn't fault her at all and Lucy who took over at the end was also lovely.
Had to stay in so went on blakney for 1 night. Michelle Cletherae look after me and baby that evening she was excellent and next day Terri and nichola was on duty they were both very good and sorted my discharge to get home very quickly was very nice not to have to hang about waiting for paper work to get done. So thank you everyone was a lovely experience which I couldn't fault. X xx

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 16 July 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

David banks reviewed Dermatology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

hospital treatment for my wife

I would like to thank everyone associated with the removal and repair of my wife who had a car I'm on a on her nose and she was treated on the 21st July with dignity and respect I'm thoroughly pleased at the way she was looked after and everyone of the staff thankyou from the bottom if my heart for looking after her you are all angels thankyou Mr David Banks.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 21 July 2015

Japhet reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Treatment could not be faulted

3rd June pain in knee, doctor called, ambulance called. My journey went from a general ward to Intensive Care in six hours. The care, consideration and empathy shown to me was exemplary. The condition was diagnosed as severe cellulitis and from then on until I left hospital three and a half weeks later my treatment could not be faulted. All visitors who came to see me commented on how good the hospital and staff were, and how fortunate I was to be treated there, and I whole heartedly agree. My thanks to everyone who was involved in my treatment.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 29 July 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

John McLeod gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Emergency visit to A&E

Arrived at A&E at 0530 on Sunday 28th June with my heart racing out of control. Within 15 minutes I was in an A&E cubicle wired up to ECG machine and a short time later was given a drip and pills to thin my blood and slow heart rate. Then a chest x-ray and blood tests. Two hours after arriving my heart rate was down from 166 to a more normal 70/71. Further tests were carried out in a day ward and I was allowed home around 12 noon.
The staff could not have been more caring and professional. As the doctor said, "Now that you are here we need to do a thorough check before you go home," And it was very thorough.
I am extremely grateful for the commitment and communications from N&N staff which ensured I understood what was happening and considerably reduced the understandable fear of my predicament.
Thank you so much to everyone who looked after me. I now know what to do if the palpitations re-occur.
And thank you to the nurse who rescued my wife and I when we first arrived from a Saturday night crowd that had been drinking and fighting in Norwich and were continuing their battle in A&E waiting area. That was an act of great thoughtfulness and kindness. How nursing staff tolerate such behaviour I don't know?
I cannot praise N&N staff highly enough.
John McLeod

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazingly good treatment!

Our son broke his arm in two places on 14th June. He couldn't have been treated any better from the orthopaedic consultant & their team including their registrar. Excellent care from all including, A&E, radiographers; children's ward; student nurses; theatres; plaster room etc etc, I have formally commended in a letter to PALS, and it will be forwarded onto the relevant departments., to relevant staff. Thank you all.

Excellent pain management; dignity & respect; honesty; calmness; informing; kind & polite; empathy; excellent standard of general care, support for our son & us as a family.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 06 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Trevor gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hearing test

I went for a hearing aid repair and was told faulty part no longer available,and was told a hearing test was required as I had not had one for several years, the technician said they would arrange this.I received a letter over two weeks ago saying I would be contacted in near future for an appointment. As I had heard nothing I rang outpatients services to be told there is a 23 week waiting list, I have had hearing aids for over 55 years if this is near future God help the NHS.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jackie hughes gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent cre

I was admitted as an emergency patient to Eastern ward. The care was extremely good. I was treated very well, with kindness and understanding to this ward. The staff were excellent even though under extreme pressure due to lack of staff. Nothing was too much. I was given pain relief etc. When needed. The ward was very clean.
I was, after 2 days moved to Dilam ward, where the standard of care was extreme!y high. Cleanliness was excellent, and the staff were very caring, polite and helpful. I would add that there are not enough nurses on duty which put them under extreme stress, but again, the care was good. Excellent care. Under extremely difficult situations.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015