Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Cycling lady reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

The staff were very polite and considerate

I visited the Arthur South day procedure unit for a procedure on my hip. The staff were very polite and considerate and the procedure was dealt with in a very professional way. The whole experience was good and not unduly painful. I had a local anaesthetic which enabled quick recovery afterwards as well as being able to see how the procedure was done with a minimum of discomfort.
I would definitely recommend the unit to anyone undergoing a similar procedure.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 09 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 13 January 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for the kind comments you have made about your care and treatment at the Day Procedure Unit. Please be assured we will share this with the staff involved with your care. We hope you are recovering well following your procedure.

Patient Opinion Logo

Jill S gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Excellent staff, awful procedure, appalling admin

I recently had fibroids and polyps removed from my uterus as an outpatient. This was a long, extremely painful procedure and I question why it was not done under anaesthetic as a day patient. After a painful hysteroscopy in December, I was told that I had polyps that should be removed. On 9th Jan, I was phoned and offered an appointment for the next day which I could not accept as I had prior commitments. At 5.30pm on 17th Jan, I was phoned and offered an appointment for 20th Jan. I was told that if I did not accept it then my name would be removed from the list so I reluctantly agreed although I did have commitments that had to be re-arranged. I received a letter 2 days later confirming the appointment but with no details of what was going to be done and no details of what to be prepared for. It did tell me to go with a full bladder which turned out to be wrong. The 2 doctors and 3 nurses who carried out my procedure were very kind and reassuring but I was in extreme pain for over 30 minutes. I was bleeding heavily after the procedure, still in a lot of pain and very shaken by the whole experience. The instructions said nothing about requiring someone to drive me home, the need to rest afterwards, the pain I would be in and the requirement to have sanitary towels ready. I could not have driven myself home or used public transport so thankfully my husband had driven me there. We had to detour to a chemists to buy sanitary towels. All in all, this was an unacceptable procedure to be carried out as an outpatient, I felt that I was blackmailed into accepting a difficult date at short notice and I should have been told a lot more about what to be prepared for.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 20 January 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Martyn gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

DPU Inguinal Hernia Repair with Mesh

Excellent treatment throughout the whole process. Although apprehensive at first I cannot praise the staff highly enough. From the Nurses to the Surgeon and Anaesthetist everyone was very attentive. Particular praise to the Nurses who looked after me during and after the operation. First class treatment....first class hospital. Shame can't remember name of my surgeon!

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 23 January 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

4 days of inpatient care

Excellent nursing care. Food pretty good too. Good medical care . Ward very clean

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 07 January 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments you have made about your care and treatment at the hospital. Please be assured we will share this with the staff involved with your care. We hope you are recovering well following your admission.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Recent Experiences

My most recent experience of the NNUH was in December 2016 when my mother was admitted to AMU(L) for a short time prior to her death in the hospital. I was very impressed with the care given her, with the way my brothers and I were advised of the likelihood of her imminent death and with the help and support I then received. Nurses, doctor and Bereavement Unit all did a great job. I would also like to record that, in 2014 and 2015, I had to have eye surgery and then, as a consequence, subsequent treatment for cataracts. The consultations, examinations and operations were conducted efficiently and I was given all the information I felt was needed to help me understand and appreciate what was being done. Again all staff involved were friendly and supportive.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 18 January 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 January 2017

Dear Family Member
Thank you for the kind comments you have made about the care and treatment your mother received while she was in hospital. I am pleased to read that she received a good standard of care and staff but please accept my condolences on the recent loss of your mother. I am also pleased that staff were helpful and supportive when you were at patient at the hospital and you were kept well informed. We will share this with all staff involved in you and your mother's care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Sue Earley gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Extremely impressed.

Initial impression on walking into West Outpatients was the smartly attired and friendly volunteer and the overall cleanliness. All staff thet I noticed wore their uniform well and were extremely courteous to all staff in the clinic introducing themselves. The general feeling they gave were that they were working with calm ,friendly efficiency.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 08 December 2016

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 15 December 2016

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about the volunteer staff in West Outpatients. I am also pleased to read that staff in the outpatient clinic were calm, friendly and efficient.
We will share your feedback with the volunteer staff and with the Gynaecology Department. Thank you for taking the time to write.
Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

A relative has recently been an inpatient and received good, well informed care, despite not receiving analgesia when he asked for some. The issue was that he recognised that the cleaning of the ward lacked attention to detail. The ward had been part of a norovirus outbreak but the cleaning staff did not move any of the furniture when cleaning the bedspace, the mop was not rinsed regularly and some dried milk or ice cream remained under his bed for the entire admission. This doesn't bode well for your infection prevention outcomes.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 21 December 2016

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 23 December 2016

Dear Family Member
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your relative's recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read that they received good, well informed care, but sorry to read there was a delay when they asked for analgesia.
I am also sorry to read that you are unhappy with the standard of cleaning on the ward. If you would like to email me at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk with the name of the ward and the admission dates, we can look into this further for you. In the meantime, please be assured we have passed your feedback to senior managers in the hospital so they are aware.

Olga reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

I just wanted to say that like most people l had my concerns about going into hospital but needn't have worried. The care l received on Earsham ward was amazing, everyone was kind, friendly and always smiling.
I would also like to thank the teams for their kindness to me.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 22 December 2016 using Patient Opinion

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient stay on Earsham Ward. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and friendly.
We will share your comments with all staff involved in your care. I hope you are recoveing well following your admission.

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah Eglington gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Denton Ward - Superb........Gately Ward - Disgraceful

I was emitted to EAUS on two occasions this week. Both visits were prompt professional and quick. The second time I was admitted and after various tests was transferred to Gately Ward. One word Disgusting. As a member of staff their lack of empathy surprised me.Bells were left unanswered people were left on bed pans for up to 45 mins. One 96 year old lady should of had a red tray as needed help with food & drink was provided with a dark brown tray. They put her food and drink down breakfast and lunch no one helped her. The catering staff took two untouched trays backs. So no fluids given. The nursing staff didn't even notice?!!!. Her relatives arrived and were shocked buy her confusion if only they knew why. It's not rocket science that if fluids are not given or food it's a downward slide. I did complain. Later on me and two other ladies were moved to Denton Ward thank god. It was so different they were other like chalk & cheese. Professional, kind, helpful, so happy I was moved. Incidentally I did report about the 96yr old and I sincerely hope someone has done something about it. I've heard of elderly people coming into hospital with a slight illness and not going home or suffering from malnutrition now I've witnessed it and it's not acceptable it's disgusting and someone should be made accountable for this. It seems on Gately Ward no one actually cares. I shall also be writing to the Chief Executive. I will not be writing to PALS.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 26 December 2016

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 05 January 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the comments you have made about your inpatient stay. I am sorry to read your concerns about your stay on Gateley Ward but pleased to read that your care improved when you were transferred to Denton Ward.
I note you will not be writing to PALS, but you may wish to write to our Complaints Team. You can email them at complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk or write to them at the Complaints and Legal Services Department, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Colney Lane, Norwich NR47UY.
In the meantime, please be assured I have passed your concerns to senior nursing staff in the hospital.

Anonymous reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

On visiting a relative on Gissing Ward yesterday (elderly), she informed us she

On visiting a relative on Gissing Ward yesterday (elderly), she informed us she needed the toilet, we notified a HCA, who then came to take our relative to the toilet, we found that the her slippers were soaked through with urine, clearly removed from patient noticeably wet and placed behind her chair after her last toilet visit (patient is incapable of placing these down or removing them herself and needs help with toileting)
We then asked if there was something that she could wear on her feet, to be told there wasn't anything else and she would proceed to walk across the ward to the toilet bare footed, we looked for other footwear as she had two pairs of slippers admitted with her, only to find the other pair of slippers covered in faeces, put in a bag and left in her bedside cabinet along with her food and drink and clean clothes.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 22 December 2016 using Patient Opinion

Dear Family Member
I write further to your comments you have made about your relative on Gissing Ward. I am sorry to read your concerns. I would be grateful if you could contact me on 01603 289045 or by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk with the name of the patient, so we can look into this as a matter of urgency on your behalf.
We look forward to hearing from you.