Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Miriam O'Callaghan gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye clinic

For the past 3 years I have visiting the eye clinic for scans and procedures in my left eye. The respect and treatment I have been given has been second to none. I know sometimes my wait at the clinic can be lengthy but one has to realise I'm not the only one with a problem. There are some who fail to realise this and how hard working the whole of the staff in the clinic are. If it weren't for them I have no idea how my sight would be. I congratulate them on doing such a great job

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 July 2016

Dear Miriam
Thank you for your feedback about the eye clinic and the treatment they have given you over the years. We are sorry that you have to wait to be seen sometimes. Our clinic is very busy seeing over 100,000 patients each year and we have expanded our facilities to improve the situation with the New Central Norwich Eye Clinic opening on Grove Road earlier this year. We will ensure the sister for the eye clinic receives a copy of your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah B gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

pre/post laporoscopy care on Stalham Ward, Aurthur South

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on this ward. I had a diagnostic laporoscopy on 13-07-16. From begining to end, admission through to procedure and after care, I felt so well looked after. My consultant gynocologist is wonderful. I will be back for another procedure in the very near future. The open conversations I have had with my consultant about my future surgical options, have filled me with confidence for achieving the best possible outcome.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 July 2016

Dear Sarah
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following these investigations. We are pleased to hear that the consultant was supportive and that you feel confident about your future care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Fed up patient. gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worried to have my baby!!

This hospital seems to be a rather large joke! I've had an awful pregnancy, I've been left to sit in my own bloody for 4 hours on cley ward and the delivery suite. I was left for 8 1/2 hours in blakeny ward after being told I'm having a c-section! Lack of care and respect, when a family member called the ward to ask what's going on as I got no answers myself and was told my babies life was at risk! The midwife swore and referred to said family member as an "idiot" because they did not want to call back another number to speak to someone who wasn't on the same ward. Norwich and Norfolk hospital is entirely the worst, spent a night in the delivery suite where my shower room had blood splatters all up the walls. I was told I'll have a c-section after coming in with bleeding to be left on my own and pushed aside! Ridiculous place, rather go anywhere else to have my baby. Seriously considering James pageant or Kings Lynn!!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to read your feedback and about the lack of attention you have received on our maternity wards. There is no excuse for staff swearing or for the lack of cleaning in the bathroom and we do apologise. Your comments have been passed to the Head of Midwifery and you are welcome to contact us if you would like to speak to someone in more detail or make a complaint. Please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service in the first instance on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Oncology - Clinical at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

4 day stay in oncolgy ward

First time in hospital ward. Ward contained 6 patients only and seemed new and very clean. Overall care and attention was second to none. Observations were taken regularly and action was taken immediately to respond to the results. The staff seemed to be active and had a positive attitude. Team work was quite evident. I spoke to a number of the nursing staff to ask about their job and, without exception, they all regarded it as a vocation. I cannot understand how a nurse can remain cheerful for an entire nightshift. I used to work nights and shift work and it turned me into a surly being! Some nursing staff took time to speak to patients who wanted to 'chat'', even though they were clearly busy.

Cannot thank the staff enough for their care. I count myself as very fortunate to have stayed in Mulbarton Ward.. Thought the food menu was excellent too.

Massive bonus is free wi-fi in hospital. Thanks NNUH!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 June 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 June 2016

Dear Patient
We are very grateful for your kind comments about Mulbarton Ward. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience as it will make the ward sister's day when she reads your feedback and shares it with the team. We hope you are recovering well after your hospital stay.

Patient Opinion Logo

UntilTodayInPain gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent ED triage and Urgent Care Centre Midday Today

Every member of staff was happy, kind, professional, friendly - nobody could of made my urgent trip better. The only thing that I could possibly complain about is the misleading signage that directs you to urgent care rather than to ED triage first, however helpful and knowledgeable staff rectified this without much difficulty. I was treated with the utmost respect and dignity with triage conducted in a lovely, clean side room.
A very reasonable waiting time especially for one of the busiest ED/UCCs in the area, with a complete in and out time around two hours, with waiting time in the UCC exactly as the board stated.
The GP I saw was very knowledgeable and did not judge an adolescent seeking pain management and quickly realised how agonising my condition was, prescribing appropriate medication after an involved set of decisions.
Special thanks go to the triage nurse (I'm terribly sorry that I can't remember their name), receptionist, and the doctor for their outstanding care, excellent patient involvement, swift co-operation, and brilliant mannerisms.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016

Becks reviewed Surgery - Breast at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Excellent

I went today for a lump in my breast, fast forward to having a biopsy. I have a needle phobia, the register and nurse that were with me, we're so utterly lovley and kind. Thank you and I hope this feedback is passed to them. Visit was today 24/06/16.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 July 2016

Dear Becks
We are pleased to hear that the nurses were able to support you during this worrying procedure. Thank you for taking the time to feedback and we will ensure that they receive your thanks.

Patient Opinion Logo

jane8pots gave Vascular surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

elderly father treated with no family consultation

Father had major surgery at 88 yrs old and we have no complaints with his treatment but there was absolutely no communication with the family. The day of his surgery we could not even find out where he was for hours after he had come out of theatre. We were totally out of the loop until they wanted him discharged. We had to take him home with us and two days later received a call to say the red cross where about to break into his home as they had been asked to call by the hospital to care for him . We had not even been informed about this and it would have been him alone in a house with no food etc for two days if this had happened. We were told he was about to be discharged by a person who called the hospital asking after his health who had no right to be told anything , yet we could never find out anything ..Very shabby patient after care........they lost his hearing aid and found it on the floor 3 days later and also expected him to understand what they wanted to do regarding his care etc and he can hardly hear and was very confused.........my husband had been doing 90 mile round trips to get him to hospital check ups etc and yet was totally ignored from the day he took him to A@E until he was discharged ....shameful

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 July 2016

Dear Jane
We are deeply concerned to hear about the care of your father on discharge from hospital. We work hard to involve family members in the treatment and discharge of their loved ones and we are very sorry this hasn't worked for your relative. If you would like to tell us more we will investigate for you and explain what happened. You can either contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Team on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or make a formal complaint at: complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk We will also pass on your comments to the Deputy Director of Nursing.

Patient Opinion Logo

Michael Barnard gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great staff

For five days while I was in the Acute Medical Unit (M) I was treated with the greatest kindness and care, and saw not one member of staff at any level who was not equally kind and caring towards even the most difficult and obstructive patients. For the last three days of my stay I was in an area that was due for closure and reconstruction, so the problems for staff were even greater. Although I had lost my normally voracious appetite for meals, there was always something on the catering trolley that I really tucked into and still remember with enjoyment. All the nursing assistants, who were forced to listen to incredibly boring stories any time they went near the other two, were extraordinarily helpful and pleasant throughout my stay, and the doctors were entirely sympathetic to some concerns I had about the treatment they recommended, and made valid adjustments accordingly. I am so grateful for the care I had and the treatment I was given.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 22 July 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Still no discharge letter!

I stayed on cley ward following a hysterectomy. Most of the staff where kind and helpful, general care was good although I was not offered any help to have a shower and with the kind of surgery I'd had I could not bend or lift anything so had to wait until I went home when my husband helped me. On discharge the staff where busy so they said they would post my discharge letter to me. 5 and half weeks later I still haven't received one, despite numerous calls to the ward and after a visit to my GP recently they have not received a copy either. When they checked on the computer they said it still hadn't been signed off at the hospital. I think this is pretty bad that I've had major surgery and my doctor has no information on it.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 June 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to hear about the lack of help you received when you needed a shower during your stay, as well as the poor follow up in terms of the letter to your GP. We would like to offer help with the letter via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service which can be contacted at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk The PALS service will be able to look into the matter for you and we will also pass on your feedback to the ward sister.

Matteo reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

A great visit to radiology outpatients

My experience at the hospital massively exceeded my expectation. I receive a fast response to my doctors request for a hip x Ray for me, within one week. My appointment on 24 May was an example of first rate service. The route to the department was clearly indicated. Two reception areas on the way were staff with friendly smiling helpful staff. I was 15 minuets early and seen straight away. The radiologist was professional and efficient and interested in his role and me his patient.
The department was clean and the environment was pleasant
A far better experience than the spire clinic in Norwich.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 25 May 2016 using Patient Opinion