Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Accident and Emergency

Never have I been made to feel more of a nuisance in my life! The doctor dealing with me had the cheek to ask me why I felt I was an emergency and should be there, despite having given the doctors the paper from the paramedic who sent me there!
I was made to feel unimportant, patronised, and like a silly little girl for wasting their time! I would not recommend attending A&E here as you will be inform any previous medical problems you have do not exist because they didn't believe it. I have never been dealt with by such a rude doctor in all my life, it's a shame as the nurses that I encountered were all very polite and helpful!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 07 May 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 11 May 2016

Dear Patient
We are sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience at A&E and we will pass on your feedback to the Matron for A&E. We would always encourage patients to seek advice if they are unwell or concerned about their health.
If you are able to get in touch and give us more information, it will enable us to speak to the member of staff involved. In the first instance, please contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good urgent care

Attended ED yesterday after father collapsed. Staff efficient and caring. Discharged within 3 hours. Thank you the HCA for making us a cup of tea! Would suggest that patients are given a pillow to rest back on.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 08 May 2016

Dear Family Member
We hope your father is making a good recovery after his visit to the Emergency Department. Thank you for telling us about your experience and we will pass on your comments to the Matron for A&E.
kind regards

Patient Opinion Logo

Clairey gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic maternal care!

Once again I found myself in receipt of excellent care on the delivery suite, with staff who worked incredibly hard and with care and good humour to make sure that myself and my baby were well looked after and safe. In contrast to my previous visit to Blakeney, I found the midwives to be accommodating, caring, considerate and willing to do anything they could to help me, including changing my baby for me when I wasn't able to, helping her to latch on, sitting and chatting with me when I was emotional and finding spare nappies when I ran out. I am very pleased to see the visiting hours have changed and hope that this one day extends to partners being able to stay overnight should they wish to. I am also pleased with the quality and variety of the food. All staff - midwives, anaesthetists, doctors, catering staff, everyone - helped me no end to make this visit as comfortable as it could be. Thank you.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 09 May 2016

Dear Clairey
Congratulations on the birth of your baby!
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your care and we are delighted to hear that you had such a good experience and that all the staff were caring and considerate. The teams in the maternity service work very hard to support new mums and they will be very pleased to read your comments.
kind regards

Patient Opinion Logo

IAMHUMAN gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

last minute cancellation

Day admission cancelled at very short notice. I am a human being and have feelings. The stress surrounding the appointments at this hospital was awful. A massive site and we had never been before and the parking was a nightmare. We are both OAP's and not used to going to a place like this. After our initial appointment we felt a little better as we had found where to park and felt a lot better as we knew we had to come back a week later.
We were on our way to my second appointment when we got a call to say my admission was cancelled. This was one and a half hours before I was due to be admitted. We live some distance from this hospital and we have to allow travelling time.
We were not told on our first visit that there was a strong chance admission would be cancelled.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 May 2016

Dear Patient
We would like to apologise for the late cancellation of your admission and your wasted journey to our site. We realise that families have to plan their stay in hospital and it is very frustrating for patients when we cancel the arrangements at the last minute. We try hard to avoid this situation, but sometimes the hospital is so busy with emergency patients that we are not able to proceed as planned.
We will ensure your feedback is passed to our senior staff and you may want to follow up and make a formal complaint. If you want to complain, please email complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk

Matteo reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

A great visit to radiology outpatients

My experience at the hospital massively exceeded my expectation. I receive a fast response to my doctors request for a hip x Ray for me, within one week. My appointment on 24 May was an example of first rate service. The route to the department was clearly indicated. Two reception areas on the way were staff with friendly smiling helpful staff. I was 15 minuets early and seen straight away. The radiologist was professional and efficient and interested in his role and me his patient.
The department was clean and the environment was pleasant
A far better experience than the spire clinic in Norwich.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 25 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Amyparkins3 gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment

I was admitted into hospital on Monday night for a suspected infected gallbladder, my little girl is 6 months old and exclusively breastfed and I was so worried she would have to go home while I was in hospital (she doesn't take a bottle). The hospital staff have been fantastic, it is now Friday and I had surgery to remove the gallbladder yesterday, my daughter has been with me the whole time.

After hearing so many stories of mothers in hospital being unable to have their babies with them I am so glad that this hospital were so incredibly supportive of breastfeeding. Thank you so much! And I'm sure that it will help me recover quicker also :)

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Southwold resident reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My mum's care was excellent

My Mum was admitted to the Accident and Emergency at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital on the afternoon recently. The care she received was excellent. The staff were also very caring of myself and my family at a time which was very traumatic for us. My mother was transferred to the critical care complex where she also received excellent care from Nurse Emma. Again, all staff were very understanding and caring towards me and my family. Nurse Emma gave me clear information as well as a realistic understanding of the situation. She cared for my mum overnight and was available to speak to me on the phone early next morning to explain what was happening. I am very grateful that my mum received such good care at such a crucial time.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 15 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Montie reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Invasive Prostectomy aftercare

My 73 year old father went into this hospital to remove aggressive prostate cancer (Stage 1). His operation went well and the Anesthetist picked up that my father also has a heart murmur which he said will need treatment. This part of his treatment is very good.
We called the hospital numerous times to find out how my father was and was told he was still in recovery along with many other patients. By the time he came out of recovery we were told by the ward that he had just been given pain relief and was sleepy. We decided to not visit him that night to let him rest, leaving messages for him to let him know that we would come in the following day. The hospital said he would not be discharged until 5pm. We then got a phone call from my fathers mobile phone (luckily he had taken with him by mistake) at 2pm asking us where we were having not received any of our messages and had been discharged at 2pm! I was very angry and upset that he was dumped in a day room and we had an hours drive just to get there... Upon discharge his notes did not have any mention of his systollic heart murmur (for further treatment) nor were we given instructions how to fit or change his catheter bags day or night (thank god for You Tube! ) the night bag didnt come with a stand so we had to make a makeshift holder for it so it didnt fall or split open, nor were we given laxatives (lactose or Senna) to help him pass his first stool when constipation is expected after this operation.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 03 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Dear Montie
We are very concerned to hear your feedback about your father's discharge from hospital. It falls below the standard we would expect in terms of the information provided and the communication with your family. Please accept our apologies and we will ensure that your comments are passed on to our colleagues. If you would like to speak to someone in more detail or make a complaint, please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

Deenah reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My mother's endoscopy

This morning my elderly mother went down for her endoscopy. I was with her before and after the procedure. Directly after she came out of the procedure room I asked a member of staff if everything went to plan. She said, yes, everything went well, and the results should be in soon. We went back to the ward. My mother couldn't say much, she was sedated. I stayed another hour. At no time did a member of staff talk to me. When my sister visited in the afternoon, asked the nurse how it went she was told that the procedure had to be abandoned, as the tube wouldn't go down. I am incensed that I was lied to and treated with total disrespect. Mother will have to be put through the same procedure again, if she survives, as she hasn't been able to eat for several days.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 30 April 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal cancer services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

waiting time for operation is 40 weeks

It is impossible to get the treatment I need despite having seen 4 consultants at this hospital who all agree with one another that I need urgent treatment for incarcerated incisional hernia.caused by previous surgery at the NNUH in 2014. The hospital management has said the waiting time is 40 weeks despite the government guideline of 18 weeks. The waiting time published by the NNUH hospital management on this web site is not accurate.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 30 March 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 14 April 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to hear that you are facing such a long wait for your surgery. Each year we are seeing increasing numbers of emergency patients which means it takes longer to treat patients who need surgery. We have recently announced plans for an ambulatory care centre which will give us more capacity and help us to meet our targets. If you would like to talk to our Patient Advice and Liaison Service about your situation or make a complaint, please contact PALS in the first instance at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk