Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

Bob kelf gave Plastic surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

My poison finger

I was referred by a doctor at the out of hours service to go to Easton ward to have a poisoned finger looked at it was then that I was told I would have to stay in overnight and have IV antibiotics to reduce the infection,this happened every 6hours approx the next day after waiting all Day to see a doctor and get my finger reviewed I was moved to
Earsham ward at about 16.30 and thought I would get my next injection at about 19.30 approx I have asked twice if they have forgotten as it in now 22.15 and I am still waiting.
I think the problem is that there are so many dependent patient and not enough staff to cope. My fear is that this delay could affect my infection and delay my discharge.
Which I hope will be tomorrow morning, I hope this is not the case as I may have to discharge myself.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 07 September 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anne Lindquist gave Surgery - Breast at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment couldn't have been better.

I can't thank your Doctors and Nurses enough for the treatment I received, from diagnosis through surgery and radium treatment. They were amazing, you should be very proud to have such a good team.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 06 September 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 08 September 2014

Thank you praising the team who treated you and we will pass on your kind comments.

Malcolm Crane gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My treatment whilst receiving a colonoscopy

For several years I have been on the bowel screening programme through the “Eastern Hub” of the NHS.
At the beginning of this month I received my screening kit as usual, and returned it.
Two days later, a letter arrived informing me that an abnormal sample was found (minute blood) and asked me to send another sample, which I duly did. Within 2 days of sending this sample, another letter arrived to say it was still present, and an appointment had been made to visit the N&N for a consultation regarding a Colonoscopy.
On the day I arrived and met the first member of staff she was delightful, courteous and explained everything and although several people had advised me not to go ahead, I decided it was the best thing, even if it was due to the medication I had been taking since my heart attack in March.
An appointment was then made for Wed 20th August at 11.00a.m.
From the moment I arrived, I was treated so well. All the nursing staff were wonderful and kind all the way to the Consultant who performed the procedure.
Would you please pass on to all of the people working in the Bowel Cancer Screening dept. my sincere thank you for all their help and support for the 3 hours I spent at the hospital, and once again any concerns and worries I may have had beforehand were soon dispelled by the Consultant and all the personnel there.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 04 September 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

my recent experience of a colonoscopy

Everyone treated me with kindness and competence, from being booked in, to those who carried out the procedure and the nurses who were there before and after it. I feel we are extremely lucky to have such a service available to us.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 08 September 2014

Thank you for feeding back on your experience in the gastroenterology unit. We are pleased to hear that the staff treated you with kindness and competence.

Lauren gave Maternity service at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The most positive experience anyone could wish for!

I cannot praise the care provided by the midwifery team enough, from the birth to the post-natal care, of my first baby.
I was very anxious about the birth but the care provided was amazing and put me at ease immediately. They were so kind, explained everything clearly and were constantly putting my comfort and the health of my baby first.
The kindness and understanding shown by all involved was incredible and I have done nothing but praise them to friends and family.
The help I received in terms of breast feeding was also incredible and all involved showed great patience and understanding.
A huge thank you to all the staff!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 02 September 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted through A&E onto Easton Ward and then on to Dilham

I received first class treatment and care from all three area's,such a dedicated team of staff and so hard working,we should all be very proud of the N&N U H.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't expect to wake up where you go to sleep

I would love to know who is overall responsible for the 24 hours a day moving around of beds ! The old school matron of yesteryear would be disgusted. I thought restorative sleep was part of getting well again, forget this at the N & N, This is not the nurses fault, but the night nurses regularly have to wake sleeping patients throughout the night, pack their things and prepare them to be moved to another ward. Not only does this disturb the sleeping patient but other sleeping patients in the ward too ! The porter told me that he's doing it all night long, that's his job, just moving patients around the hospital from ward to ward. This is disgraceful, surely the managers can get their heads around this so that patients can go to sleep and wake up in the same ward ! Okay, after theatre a patient might need to go on a ward, I get that, ambulance personnel might need to admit, I get that. What I think is not at all fair on sick sleeping patients is that they are in a game if "musical beds" all night !

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 28 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class care in A&E

Thankyou to all the staff in A&E Bank holiday Monday evening for their understanding, kindness & professionalism when we had the need for their help after my wife had fallen and sustained a head injury.

We're now back at home over 100 miles away, with my wife remembering little of what happened, however I will always remember how without drama the staff in A&E dealt with the situation & were able to speedily send us on our way after doing all the necessary checks & scans.

Please pass on my thanks to everyone in A&E for the excellent work they do.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We will pass on your kind comments to the A&E team and we hope your wife is making a good recovery.

Mr Ted gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb care.

Referred to the hospital by my GP with a dodgy ECG. Admitted to Acute Medical Unit for men, and was seen and treated by numerous medical staff and made very comfortable and secure. Everything was explained to me comprehensively and with much care and attention, and all my questions and enquiries were dealt with in the same caring and professional manner. Following a couple of days and nights, subsequently transferred to a cardiology ward (Kilverstone) where the standard of care was simply outstanding. My every need was catered for, and all the staff were a delight - without exception.

Indeed, the only matter that did have an effect on me was the treatment of some of the nurses and the HCA's by certain patients. In the Acute Medical Unit, one of the 'patients' was clearly drunk, and was particularly abusive to at least one nurse. The nurse handled the situation brilliantly, but it struck me how vulnerable she was - although thankfully, the drunk patient was not physically violent. There were a couple of other patients who hardly stopped moaning and complaining for five minutes at a time, and who took up an enormous amount of the nurses time for no good reasons whatsoever. Yet, all the nurses and HCA's behaved brilliantly and dealt with these patients in a way that is still difficult to believe from a layman's perspective.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We are pleased that the team were able to make you feel comfortable and secure at a worrying time. Your comments will be passed to the staff on the Acute Medical Unit.

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Arthur South Day Clinic

I arrived at the day clinic at 7am, was greeted by a nurse, taken to a very pleasant and excellently cleansed room where she told me that she would be my nurse for the day and until discharge. I was there to have a routine operation under general anathestetic for the removal of a lipoma on my shoulder. The anesthetist was excellent, she came in and explained to me exactly what she was going to do, answered all my questions and came to see me post op too. The consultant came in pre op, he seemed more in conveyer belt mode of practice really and I was just another number, I got the feeling that he really was just going through the rigmarole. When I came round after the operation, the nurse gave me a cup of tea, slice of toast and it was on my way really. As I was getting dressed I told the nurse that I had a lump on my shoulder that was not there pre op, she said not to worry without even looking at it and I was discharged by the nurse to sit in another area because she was coming towards the end of her duty and needed to prepare the room where I had been for the next patient. I was escorted out of the building by a nurse who I hadn't met before, my nurse must have gone home ? On discharge they give you a number to call and specific problems that might occur after you get home, one being "excessive swelling". My shoulder blew up to the size of an inflated balloon, I called the number but it's an answer machine, they pick up the messages at intervals between 8am - 6pm and call you back. When my message was responded to, I explained my inflated balloon and was told not to worry. By 9pm the balloon was even bigger, angry reddening and I was in a lot of pain. I called the hospital's main line who had a doctor phone me back without delay. The doctor said for me to get to the hospital straight away, bit of a worry when you live 45 minutes drive away. I collapsed, my husband called 999 ambulance who were extremely concerned for me when they arrived that they called for a back up paramedic to administer morphine. I had a blues and twos to hospital, was extremely ill, second operation to cauterise a blood vessel left open on the first. There were concerns after my second operation in 24 hours and I was very ill again needing a blood transfusion. The doctors and nurses on Easton Ward were excellent, I can not fault them at all. The doctor who did the second operation was excellent, came to see me afterwards and explained everything she had done to put right the failures of the first operation. In my opinion, based upon personal experience, the Arthur South day clinic is a conveyer belt, that's all, just saving beds and money, how many can they get through the door, operated on and shipped back home all within a few hours, that's what that's all about. I think they should have a better after op telephone system, not a "leave a message and we'll call you back". I think it should be a doctor discharge not a nurse's.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We are very sorry to hear about the complication following your surgery. Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story and we will pass your feedback to the day procedure team.