Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Jaxcats gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Polyp removal by hysteroscopy

I attended on Monday 11th September for a hysteroscopy. When I arrived I was a nervous wreck having read so many scary things about the procedure on Google.

I am posting this in an effort to help anyone feeling as I did whilst waiting for their appointment. My advice to you is DONT WORRY.

The nurses are superb, they are kind and understanding and the doctor was amazing.

I had a large polyp removed and can honestly say I didn't feel a thing except for one twinge near the end of the procedure. I was expecting pain but there wasn't any.

I was treated with total respect and involved with decisions all the way through and left the hospital wondering why I had been so worried and scared.

A huge thanks to all the nurses and doctor involved, you are amazing.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 13 September 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 18 September 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent attendance at hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and understanding. I will share this with all staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write with your thanks and praise.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Forehead repair

I would like to praise the staff at EAUS on a Sunday morning and the surgeon who repaired the gash to my forehead, the stitches have since been removed at my surgery who commented that the repair was beautifully done. I am grateful for the care I received and completely impressed by and thankful for the skill of the surgeon.

Visited in September 2017. Posted on 16 September 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read that you are recovering well. I will share your thanks and praise with all staff involved with your care and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Amadeus reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Of the six patients on the ward three were clearly mentally ill, one being so confused that an agency nurse had to sit by his bed all night as he continually threw the bedclothes off and lifted both legs exposing himself,
Although I fully understand that he had no control over his actions when I mentioned to a doctor that my young female visitors would find his behaviour unacceptable they were very abrupt telling me that everybody was entitled to treatment.
I agree that everybody is entitled to treatment but is it acceptable therefore to expect a ten year old visitor to be subjected to full body exposure from a middle aged man?
I have in the past been absolutely delighted with treatment at the N&N and the staff this particular doctor disappointed me with their patronising attitude.
It seems some Consultants think they are above needing bedside manners.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 18 September 2017 using Care Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Susie Hilton-Jowett gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A privilege

Just home from 11 days on Coltishall ward, and cannot speak highly enough of the care I received. I arrived via EAU, and that WAS a long 7 hours, mostly sitting on a chair, with severe biliary colic, and no pain relief till I'd seen a doctor but I understand the pressures.

Once I got to Coltishall, my Ultrasound showed up worrying spots on the liver, but I had to wait over the weekend for CT and then MRI scans, so it was a very scarey time. Being in hospital is a pretty intense experience - room mates come and go, and I saw more pain and courage in 11 days than I've ever seen. But the staff are amazing. They are so kind and reassuring - I don't think I shall ever fear again invasive procedures having heard them talked through.

My only concern is the length of time people sometimes had to wait for help to the loo or commode. This caused a lot of embarrassment and distress to some of my room mates. At one point a scarcely ambulant lady was about to set off by herself, helped by a postoperative room mate! I realise that the nurses and HCA's are very busy at times, but this does seem to be a basic human right. Maybe the bell could just be for toilet, vomiting and pain, rather than less urgent requests?

Apart from that, I have been privileged to meet some amazing people, both patients and staff. The cleaners and caterers are a breath of fresh air, the radiographers are kindness itself (I'm claustrophobic) the porters and theatre staff are lovely, and the nurses and HCA's are saints. The doctors fly in and out a bit, making it hard to catch names and roles, but without them I wouldn't be sorted and on the mend. And the beds are the comfiest ever!Thank you.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 28 August 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 12 September 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments and feedback regarding your recent inpatient at the hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were kind and reassuring. Your comments will be shared with senior staff in the hospital and I hope you are recovering well.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to A&E

I had cause to visit A&E 3 weeks ago. I was greeted by a very pleasant nurse who took brief details and then direct me to the CCU (I think that was what it was called). Once there I was seen by a nurse who took a history, checked BP etc and then sent back to the waiting area. After a little while I felt faint and was transferred to a side room to lie down. Again saw another nurse who ordered blood tests. All the staff I saw were very patient and caring.

After about 3 hours I saw a doctor, they had all my details including details from a visit to my GP all tests results and the blood tests taken earlier in the day. They were very reassuring and took time to explain everything and to answer my questions.

Yes it was awhile before I saw a doctor but other competent medical professionals were dealing with the basics and at all times I felt looked after.

The only complaint I have is the parking. It was raining heavily and we needed to walk outside to another section of the hospital to pay for the carpark. Once there my husband put the correct amount of change into the machine but some didn't register. We asked for help but the person on the intercom was less than useless. In the end another patient gave us the money we needed. We had arrived at the hospital as an emergency and how much change for the car park was the last thing on our minds. The machine didn't give change or take cards. I can't remember whether that was normal or whether it was unavailable on the day we went.

Thanks to all the medical staff for their help.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent attendance at the hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were patient and caring. I am sorry to read your experiences with parking at the hospital. Your feedback will be shared with staff involved in your care and with senior staff to see if improvements can be made.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Sue Rowe gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment and Care over 24 hours.

I would like to thank the entire team who treated and cared for me on my short visit to Norfolk and Norwich Hospital on Easton Ward this week.
The care, attention, and reassurance you gave to me was nothing but 'Simply Excellent'
Many thanks to you all.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 30 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient stay. I am pleased to read that staff treated you with care and attention and were reassuring. I will share this with all involved in your care and I hope you are recovering well.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Peter Machin gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gastroenterology Outpatient

Just another outpatient appointment at the Gastroenterology Unit. Outstanding "customer service", I felt that I was the centre of their attention at all times.

I was kept fully informed during my treatment, the process fully explained to me at each stage and I was constantly questioned about my welfare and they treated with respect, consideration and kindness.

Well done and a big thank you to all.

(I'm considering transferring all my outstanding business to the NNUH)

With Gratitude

Peter Machin

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 02 August 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 08 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent attendance at the hospital. I am pleased to read you were treated with respect, consideration and kindness. I will share your thanks and praise with staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

dennisgwild gave Geriatric Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent staff committment

I had the misfortune to be sent into hospital on the Monday of my holiday with a kidney infection. I had to stay until the Friday
The service from the ambulance staff and the medical staff was brilliant.
I cannot praise enough the work of the nurses and auxiliary worker giving total commitment .please relay my praise to all of them for making my stay as comfortable as possible thank you dennis wild

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 31 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient stay at the hospital. I am pleased to read that you had excellent care. I will share your feedback with all staff involved in your care and I hope you are recovering well.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A & E

I visited A & E at aprrox 11am on Tuesday 15th Aug 2017 because a (minor but nonetheless) operation wound (received from NNUH) had burst open and 111 had advised me to go. A & E is rather confusing - you have to speak to a nurse at the door before going where you need to go. The nurse on duty this occasion I found to be dismissive, uncaring and rude. While I appreciate they have to sort timewasters from serious patients, their comments made me feel I should have stayed at home and covered my gaping wound with a plaster. They seemed more concerned and annoyed that 111 had sent me there unnecessarily. They dismissed my wound by saying 'they won't sutre it now anyway' so left me feeling that I would have a gaping hole and ugly scar, which was very upsetting. I was sent to the minor injuries ward. While I appreciate my need was less than some of others the aftercare sheet from the NNUH advised to call 111 should anything happen and they advised me that that A & E had the facilities to resutre if necessary.
By the time I saw someone in minor injuries dept I was visibly upset (again I appreciate that's pathetic at A & E, but had the initial nurse just sent me where I needed to go without giving their 'diagnosis' (incidentally without seeing it - they had no way of knowing how big the wound was!) I probably would have held out some hope). The care I received in the minor injuries was by far a contrast. The nurses I saw had to also deal with my upset, but took their valuable time and were sympathetic and caring. The Dr I saw went beyond dealing with the job in hand and although the answer was unfortunately the same as the uncaring nurse at the start, took their time to tell me in a caring way.
All in all, I feel if that initial nurse had been more caring, symapathetic to the situation at hand - me with a burst wound - their colleagues would not have had to spend so long dealing with me as I would not have so upset by the time I got to them!

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 16 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent attendance at the hospital. I am sorry to read your concerns. I will share this with senior staff in the hospital but if you would like to discuss this further please contact me on 01603 289045 or by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk.
Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager

Michael Howard gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

TIA Clinic

My GP referred me to this clinic late Friday afternoon and said I would be contacted ASAP by them to have various tests to confirm one way or another whether I'd had a TIA. At 9 o'clock the following Monday I was contacted by the clinic and invited to attend at mid day. I was attended to very promptly and had an ultra sound test on my neck by the Vascular Dept and then sent to the TIA clinic for an ECG and blood pressure tests as well as blood tests. I was then taken to the X Ray dept for an MRI brain scan. I then returned to the TIA clinic for a diagnosis which fortunately for me showed I had not had a TIA. My experience and treatment was first class and if I had paid privately I would not have had better treatment or service from so many skilled medical people. I thank them all and cannot praise them or the NHS highly enough.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 17 August 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent attendance at the hospital. I am pleased to read that you had a positive experience and you received excellent care. I will share this with all staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write.