Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Anonymous gave Oncology - Medical at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Mulbarton Ward - What a dreadful ward

Felt completely unsafe the whole time on this cancer ward. Too frightened to ask the staff anything for fear of sarcasm, aggression, scowls and general poker faced attitude.

If someone was taken seriously ill whilst an inpatient I doubt anybody would even notice.

The doctors were very good.

There were a few good nurses on this ward but equally a few extremely bad ones who I do not think knew what nursing meant. Sadly this eclipses the good ones.

Upon admission I was greeted with vomit on the floor and my bay chair which I had to ask to be cleaned up. The reply from the nurse was 'I am not a cleaner! Disgusting.'

The nurse shut the patients in together on the bay at night! Meaning this was unsafe as they could not hear if anyone was making strange noises etc and about to croak it and also could not hear the machines alarms.

Patients are treated as prisoners and anyone wishing to get some fresh air for 10 minutes is almost physically restrained by the staff. I would never leave my sick granny here.

Not sure if it's a general NNUH policy but nobody was wearing surgical stockings which prevents blood clots, I know other hospitals use these.

Further raising alarm bells was that the first night the nurse tried to give me 2 tablets I had already taken! Luckily I was on the ball and told them. Do they not write this down anywhere?

Forgot to mention it was also freezing the whole time with hardly any heating

Overall a really unpleasant experience and if I was ill this is the last place I would want to be as I know I would not be cared for.

Avoid at all costs

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 23 January 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

kenneth Turner gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

emergency admission following a heart attack.

I was admitted in the early hours of 6th Jan 2016.. There was very good coordination and rapid response between the paramedic, the ambulance and the cardiac team.
I was in the recovery ward with a stent within 2 hours of dialling the emergency number.
The consultant, their team and all in the Kilverstone ward dealt with me in an efficient friendly and respectful way. They seemed to cooperate amongst themselves well

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 09 February 2016

Dear Mr Turner
We are pleased you received such a prompt response from all the NHS services following your heart attack. We hope you are making a good recovery and would like to thank you for telling us about your care. The cardiology team pride themselves on the quality of their service and will be delighted with your feedback.
Janice Bradfield
Senior Communications Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Doctors very helpful

Overall, I cannot fault the doctors and staff at the A&E Department, who looked after my son. They were very professional and explained everything to me when I arrived.
The only negative part is that there is a lack of communication between the Re-Sus section and the other section of A&E, as to where a patient is. I was taken to Re-Sus by a nurse to see my son, only to find he was no longer there and there was a different patient in the bay. The nurse apologised and eventually my son was located - minus some of his belongings! Very awkward as my son works for the NHS.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 28 January 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disgusting treatment

Went to a&e because I was in serious pain. After 3 hours of waiting i was told to go home because I didn't need major surgery - they didn't try to figure out the cause of the pain or help me in anyway. They also gave me antibiotics even though the doctor said I had no infection so didn't need them. Appalled at how they treated me and just dismissed someone who is in extreme pain.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 31 January 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 04 February 2016

Dear Patient
I'm really saddened to hear about your experience at A&E.
Please accept my personal sincere apologies for the long wait and how you were treated during your visit.
If you feel able to provide your name, I could check which Doctor you saw and respond in more detail to the issues you have raised.
This isn't the standard we expect from our Team.
Best wishes
Kirsty
Kirsty Rowden
A&E Senior Matron

Patient Opinion Logo

Chris Williams gave Respiratory Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Saturday appointments, happy staff, happy patient!

I have had two appointments in the Respiratory Medicine Department with my consultant and team. This was much more convenient for me than a weekday appointment as I didn't have to take any time off work. All of the staff, without exception, were friendly and happy - it was (almost!) a pleasure attending. From reception staff, nurses, the consultant (who is a real character, let all doctors be like them), I was treated as an individual, everything was explained to me clearly, I wasn't talked down to or made to feel a nuisance - it was a whole new experience for me within the hospital system.

I would have no hesitation in recommending my consultant and team to anyone who needed respiratory services and who had the choice of where to attend.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 01 February 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Lynda Turbet gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Disappointing consultation

I attended an annual appointment - a 50 mile round trip - waited an hour and was given -10 minutes of the consultant's time. They did not sit down during the consultation, and kept checking the time and inching towards the door. I felt I deserved a bit more focused attention and left feeling rather upset and frustrated by the meeting.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Dear Linda
We are very sorry to hear that the consultant did not provide his/her full attention during your consultation, especially when you had travelled so far for the appointment. We can follow up on your feedback if you can let us have the consultant's name. Please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk
Janice

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

knapton ward

my elderly mum was admitted to Napton ward with an infection and delirium.. All the staff were most caring understanding to both my mum and to myself.
I was so very lucky to be in Notfork on our holiday when this determination of my mum suddenly happened as I am convinced knapton Ward and its staff are the very best in the world! My mum through their care support and nursing recovered fully and I shall forever be in their debt.
The Consultant was an outstanding lead of a brilliant professional team.

Out thanks and more

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

mariner reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My daughter

My daughter had our grandson at norwich and Norfolk's maternity department weighing at 9lb 15oz, my wife and I visited her on the birth date and would like to say what a great bunch of staff on that day very helpful polite and they were so busy but found time to answer any questions or requests we may have had thank you to all, our daughter in her time there couldn't speak highly enough of all the consultants doctors and staff she saw on I think she said the four wards cley Blakeney etc she visited for one reason or another..
Her husband forgot the card and chocolates for the staff but she intends to pay a visit to the hospital to say thank you personally and said she wont forget the chocs, so hang on in there staff, , yes once she is feeling 100% and our grandson has got use to life on earth you will see her. And from grandma and grandad thank you all so very much for the care they received from all concerned please take care xx a proud grandma and grandad xx

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016 using Patient Opinion

atilla reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

The after care provided

I had a stroke in early november. taken to nnuh. spent 3days in hospital. returned home on the saturday. on the monday iwas visited by the team from bowthorpe. from that time onwards iwas visited by 8members of the team. they were highly proffessional in all areas. the help and support I received was 1st class I could not have wished or wanted anything better. my recovery was down to them. I owe them everything for my recovery. a great big thankyou to you all.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

HDU, Buxton Ward

Our 1-year-old child received treatment for Empyema and a partially collapsed lung as a result of pneumonia in December 2015 (High Dependency Unit, Buxton ward).

During our hospitalisation, the treatment and care that we received was first class. The team that cared for us displayed the highest levels of compassion throughout. Their willingness to answer any questions that we had provided us with so much comfort, at what was a very difficult time.

We are eternally grateful to all the staff that provided us with care and support.

Visited in December 2015. Posted on 20 January 2016

Dear Parent
The High Dependency Unit team and all the staff on Buxton who came into contract with your family are very grateful for this feedback. It is always a pleasure to read good feedback from families and know that we have made a positive impact on what was a really traumatic experience. Communicating with families underpins everything we do and we are delighted that we have been able to support your family throughout their admission.
Best wishes,