Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

SUPERCRIPP gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Smoking Problems

The hospital and staff are wonderful. Treated with kindness and respect, greeted by staff I already knew as a returning friend. I love these guys each and every one - despite what they have to do to me.

My issues with the hospital are regarding the behaviour of other patients and visitors. Although there are No Smoking notices everywhere - and I do mean everywhere, this prohibition was utterly disregarded. As we had to wait longer than usual due to an emergency in the department, we opted to sit outside in the open air being as the day was so very warm at 30°+. Unfortunately we could not find anywhere either north side or south side that was free of cigarette smoke. At every seat, at every picnic table and even on the grass directly in front of the no Smoking notices were patients and visitors blatantly smoking. There was no area free of this disgusting smoke where we could relax. It was obviously not being policed. When we spoke to staff at the clinic about the issue, they agreed that smoking outside in proximity to the building was a constant problem, but that no one did anything about it.

Frankly I find that unacceptable in this day and age. I hasten to add that I did not see any staff smoking. All the smokers appeared to be visitors or patients. Yes, even patients dragging round drips or in hospital wheelchairs had been placed outside to smoke - close to no smoking notices. There are other health authorities that will not allow patients to smoke anywhere - and I feel that this is one area where The Norwich and Norfolk Hospital could do better.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Antenatal Clinic

This clinic is shocking I have been four times now and not once have I been seen at my appointment slots there has been at least a half an delay each time. I'm currently 40 mins behind my appointment and have not been informed or spoken to about the delay! It's very frustrating.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jackie hughes gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent cre

I was admitted as an emergency patient to Eastern ward. The care was extremely good. I was treated very well, with kindness and understanding to this ward. The staff were excellent even though under extreme pressure due to lack of staff. Nothing was too much. I was given pain relief etc. When needed. The ward was very clean.
I was, after 2 days moved to Dilam ward, where the standard of care was extreme!y high. Cleanliness was excellent, and the staff were very caring, polite and helpful. I would add that there are not enough nurses on duty which put them under extreme stress, but again, the care was good. Excellent care. Under extremely difficult situations.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Jackie hughes gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

999 service

I called 999 @ 12.15. When they arrived, they were so very kind, helpful and very efficient. They were sympathetic, and informative in their opinion. I was offered pain relief for which I was very grateful. I was taken into A n E, and was treated very efficiently. Thank you Norfolk and Notwich for your treatment. Would like to see the management provide the staff that is needed.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Very good care from all in A&E and Easton ward

Was admitted from A&E, triage nurse was young and a bit rude but everyone one else was lovely and couldn't have done more for me. I was seen fairly quickly and admitted to Easton ward where I was kept in overnight and they were also fantastic. Was surprised at how quickly I was seen and couldn't fault the care I was given. A&E doctor and nurses were particularly lovely.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Theatre staff

Needed some skin tags removed which was not urgent. I received a surprise phoned call Friday 29/06/15 and I was told there had been a cancellation for Monday 1st, would l like to take that place? l said yes straight away as happy to oblige to keep the waiting list going.

My appointment was for 11am so arrived registered and sat in the waiting area where there was no water available. Time passed and I was seen by a nurse to go over details and told they had no idea when l would have my op! 2pm came and was then taken though to a ward. I waited another 2 1/2 hrs during this time a nurse phoned theatre to be told that they were seeing overnight cases first (as they were concern about losing their bed place on the ward).

Anyway at 4.40 pm l was taken down to theatre by a tired and unhappy worker and in the theatre there was an atmosphere of grumpy and tired staff, you could see there were staff who didn't communicate with each other. The surgeon was asked by another member whether the surgeon should be wearing gloves, and this was ignored. l could go on but l would like to say the experience has left me in doubt of needing any treatment in the future.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 June 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 10 June 2015

We are sorry about the delays in your care and the attitude of staff. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience and we will pass on your comments.

A&E admittance

I attended A&E on Monday 01 June following advice from 111. I have to report my experience was one of complete care & efficiency. My husband who was with me was also offered a cup of tea which I thought was above & beyond the call of duty. The hospital gets full marks from me.The nurse who took care of me was friendly & humorous which in my book are great attributes. The nurse was also very professional , courteous & caring. Well done especially as this was my one and only visit to A&E & I have a total adversion to hospitals.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 10 June 2015

Thank you for telling us about your visit to A&E. We are pleased to hear that the nurse was friendly and professional.

ChrisG reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Thank you to the gastroenterology staff

Was referred to the Gastroenterology by my GP. Needed to have a Colonoscopy.
I want to say "thank you" to the staff who were on duty on Saturday 6th. They made the procedure "painless" from checking in at reception, to explaining what was going to happen, the procedure itself and the "recovery". They were professional, friendly and made what could be an unpleasant experience, much less so.
I've never encountered "dignity pants" before, but sat next to another patient beforehand, and we were able to laugh at how we looked, sat in our hospital gowns, shoes and socks with long blue pants protruding to our knees!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 08 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 10 June 2015

We are pleased to hear that the staff were professional and friendly, making your procedure less of an ordeal. Our matron will be interested in your comments on dignity pants as she has helped to introduce them!

Caroline Mannering gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ambulance admission to A&E

The ParaMedic and Ambulance crew were superb.
The Staff of A&E were very helpful friendly and respectful. The Department was extremely busy that afternoon Thursday 18th June.
I am very grateful for the Servvice I received. I cannot imagine the cost of all the Personnel and tests involved.
Thank you all.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 30 June 2015

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

david o brien gave Sleep Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

poor hygiene at the nnuh

I have visited the nnuh several times over the past year and have noticed a huge decline in overall cleanliness of the hospital,their are no hand hygiene dispensers at any entrance to the hospital or in the corridors,several of the toilets do not appear to have had a deep clean for quite some time,in fact I cannot recall seeing any cleaning operatives in my recent visits,if the nnuh are failing on the basic hygiene it is no wonder that hospital germs are always present,its all good and well having several wrvs volunteerers at 2 entrance points in order to tick the box,but it doesn't keep patients safe from c-diff and other hospital bugs,i have complained several times about this but no action has been taken by the nnuh to improve the situation,even though the media have highlighted this it still remains an un-clean hospital in my opinion......

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 20 June 2015