Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted through A&E onto Easton Ward and then on to Dilham

I received first class treatment and care from all three area's,such a dedicated team of staff and so hard working,we should all be very proud of the N&N U H.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Don't expect to wake up where you go to sleep

I would love to know who is overall responsible for the 24 hours a day moving around of beds ! The old school matron of yesteryear would be disgusted. I thought restorative sleep was part of getting well again, forget this at the N & N, This is not the nurses fault, but the night nurses regularly have to wake sleeping patients throughout the night, pack their things and prepare them to be moved to another ward. Not only does this disturb the sleeping patient but other sleeping patients in the ward too ! The porter told me that he's doing it all night long, that's his job, just moving patients around the hospital from ward to ward. This is disgraceful, surely the managers can get their heads around this so that patients can go to sleep and wake up in the same ward ! Okay, after theatre a patient might need to go on a ward, I get that, ambulance personnel might need to admit, I get that. What I think is not at all fair on sick sleeping patients is that they are in a game if "musical beds" all night !

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 28 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class care in A&E

Thankyou to all the staff in A&E Bank holiday Monday evening for their understanding, kindness & professionalism when we had the need for their help after my wife had fallen and sustained a head injury.

We're now back at home over 100 miles away, with my wife remembering little of what happened, however I will always remember how without drama the staff in A&E dealt with the situation & were able to speedily send us on our way after doing all the necessary checks & scans.

Please pass on my thanks to everyone in A&E for the excellent work they do.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We will pass on your kind comments to the A&E team and we hope your wife is making a good recovery.

Mr Ted gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb care.

Referred to the hospital by my GP with a dodgy ECG. Admitted to Acute Medical Unit for men, and was seen and treated by numerous medical staff and made very comfortable and secure. Everything was explained to me comprehensively and with much care and attention, and all my questions and enquiries were dealt with in the same caring and professional manner. Following a couple of days and nights, subsequently transferred to a cardiology ward (Kilverstone) where the standard of care was simply outstanding. My every need was catered for, and all the staff were a delight - without exception.

Indeed, the only matter that did have an effect on me was the treatment of some of the nurses and the HCA's by certain patients. In the Acute Medical Unit, one of the 'patients' was clearly drunk, and was particularly abusive to at least one nurse. The nurse handled the situation brilliantly, but it struck me how vulnerable she was - although thankfully, the drunk patient was not physically violent. There were a couple of other patients who hardly stopped moaning and complaining for five minutes at a time, and who took up an enormous amount of the nurses time for no good reasons whatsoever. Yet, all the nurses and HCA's behaved brilliantly and dealt with these patients in a way that is still difficult to believe from a layman's perspective.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We are pleased that the team were able to make you feel comfortable and secure at a worrying time. Your comments will be passed to the staff on the Acute Medical Unit.

Anonymous gave Plastic surgery at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Arthur South Day Clinic

I arrived at the day clinic at 7am, was greeted by a nurse, taken to a very pleasant and excellently cleansed room where she told me that she would be my nurse for the day and until discharge. I was there to have a routine operation under general anathestetic for the removal of a lipoma on my shoulder. The anesthetist was excellent, she came in and explained to me exactly what she was going to do, answered all my questions and came to see me post op too. The consultant came in pre op, he seemed more in conveyer belt mode of practice really and I was just another number, I got the feeling that he really was just going through the rigmarole. When I came round after the operation, the nurse gave me a cup of tea, slice of toast and it was on my way really. As I was getting dressed I told the nurse that I had a lump on my shoulder that was not there pre op, she said not to worry without even looking at it and I was discharged by the nurse to sit in another area because she was coming towards the end of her duty and needed to prepare the room where I had been for the next patient. I was escorted out of the building by a nurse who I hadn't met before, my nurse must have gone home ? On discharge they give you a number to call and specific problems that might occur after you get home, one being "excessive swelling". My shoulder blew up to the size of an inflated balloon, I called the number but it's an answer machine, they pick up the messages at intervals between 8am - 6pm and call you back. When my message was responded to, I explained my inflated balloon and was told not to worry. By 9pm the balloon was even bigger, angry reddening and I was in a lot of pain. I called the hospital's main line who had a doctor phone me back without delay. The doctor said for me to get to the hospital straight away, bit of a worry when you live 45 minutes drive away. I collapsed, my husband called 999 ambulance who were extremely concerned for me when they arrived that they called for a back up paramedic to administer morphine. I had a blues and twos to hospital, was extremely ill, second operation to cauterise a blood vessel left open on the first. There were concerns after my second operation in 24 hours and I was very ill again needing a blood transfusion. The doctors and nurses on Easton Ward were excellent, I can not fault them at all. The doctor who did the second operation was excellent, came to see me afterwards and explained everything she had done to put right the failures of the first operation. In my opinion, based upon personal experience, the Arthur South day clinic is a conveyer belt, that's all, just saving beds and money, how many can they get through the door, operated on and shipped back home all within a few hours, that's what that's all about. I think they should have a better after op telephone system, not a "leave a message and we'll call you back". I think it should be a doctor discharge not a nurse's.

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We are very sorry to hear about the complication following your surgery. Thank you for taking the time to tell us your story and we will pass your feedback to the day procedure team.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Easton Ward

During my stay on Easton Ward, the staff had to put up with extreme verbal abuse from two patients who were apparently in pain but who still managed to toddle outside for cigarettes every hour, sometimes not even having the respect to stay when told the Doctor was on his way to see them - how rude. Yet, staff remained very calm with them, visibly annoyed and feeling fed up at the flack but remained so professional.

The two elderly patients in there during my stay, one had dementia and was rather challenging at times were both treated with the utmost respect, dignity and overall care.

The staff on Easton were quiet at night, almost whispered to patients that were being admitted or needed their attention.

I felt really cared for by the staff on Easton and as if I mattered.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

We are pleased to hear that the staff were calm and you were well cared for on the ward. Thank you for taking the time to feedback and we will pass on your comments.

Anonymous gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Earsham Ward

I found 97% of staff to be kind, caring and professional but they are overworked with far too many patients allocated to them. So, because they are run off their feet 97% of staff who want to offer a professionally caring experience can't because they are can't be everywhere at once and two human beings can't split themselves between 13 patients, taking into consideration several of those 13 are 100% reliant on one to one care.

Among my experiences were :-

An elderly patient waiting nearly three hours for a bed pan and when she called her buzzer she was told by the HCA that there were only three bedpans to the whole ward and that she'd just have to wait. I might add the HCA did not respect her dignity and go to her bed to discretely tell her but belowed it from the door for all to hear.

Red tray patients waiting over an hour to be fed, hot meal going cold, jelly going warm, ice cream melting.

On three occasions a dementia patient's red tray was taken away from her after an hour or so by the catering service employees, not their fault, they assumed she was finished, fact was nobody had bothered sorting her out to eat it in the first place.

Elderly bed bound patients not being washed and sorted out for the day until after midday on one occasion. The HCA responsible was the same one who, the day before, was assigned as my HCA for the day and left me in a side ward without observation for 7 hours, I could have dropped dead in the toilet and nobody would have known.

A Staff Nurse bellowing as she walked in and out of nursing bays to ask staff,,, "do you go to boot sales (staff names)" "if so, could you pick up some of these baby spoons and we'll sterilise them" hmmmm why are boot sales the source of national health equipment ?"

Elderly patients accidentally setting off their drip machines and nurses not coming to turn the piercing noise off, once it was over two hours ! This wasn't fair to other patients nor the confused elderly person.

I took a pair of scissors from a dementia patient !

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 26 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Suzanne gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Please answer the phone and return promised phone calls.

I live 200 miles away. I work full time I rely on being able communicate by phone. As a senior nurse myself I try to think about the times I ring to make sure the least disruption to hand over, meal time and and drug rounds. When a phone conversation is unable to be completed and assured they will call me back. I am not happy. I realise you may be busy, but on reviewing your staffing levels and see they are much better than ours, and you still cannot answer my call or phone me back as promised. This is not the first time a member of my family has been a patient at the N and N and the same themes persist.
I am waiting for someone to tell me they cannot speak to me when I start asking questions about my mothers care. I hope they realise all they have to do is get my mothers permission.
As I sit writing this at 10pm, I am thinking do I really have to travel all the way to Norwich to get my questions answered. I need enough information to be able to plan my visit. Over the past two days since my mothers arrival on earsham ward. I have only managed to get e phone answered once despite many attempts. I used to moan at JPH but they are speedy in relation to here.
Perhaps managers should phone wards and audit phone answering times.,

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 23 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 26 August 2014

We are very sorry about the communication difficulties with the ward. We will pass on your feedback to the ward sister and you may want to get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or telephone 01603 289045.

Maddie Mackenzie gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Paediatric Care

When I visited there was a delay as my consultant had been busy on the wards. A nurse informed me the minute I entered the department, apologising and offering various forms of entertainment. When I did see my consultant she listened to everything I had to say, showing a personal interest in my life. She gave me five different choices and we talked through each one. It was, for a hospital appointment, an enjoyable time. I am grateful for her services and all she is doing to cure my (as of yet undiagnosed) condition.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 26 August 2014

Thank you for telling us about your experience. We are pleased to hear that you are being well supported by your consultant and the nursing team.

Anonymous gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb care on Gunthorpe Ward

My father was showing symptoms of a stroke in Mid July, but was not due to visit the stroke clinic until the following week. As his condition deteriorated rapidly, I phoned the TIA clinic for advice. The Ward sister listened carefully to his symptoms and admitted him early. We as a family were so relieved, and it turned out my father had stage 4 lung cancer, undiagnosed and unsuspected as he had no symptoms until the secondary tumour affected his balance. The staff on Gunthorpe Ward were fantastic, and he was looked after brilliantly in the weeks that followed, including during and after his radiotherapy in the well equipped Colney Centre. Although the prognosis was difficult, he was very much involved in every decision affecting his care and treatment, and literally everyone from the staff delivering tea to the oncology consultants were kind, positive and above all human in their dealings with him and us. The volunteer on the ward was quite wonderful, popping in to see him and to perk him up. Physio, social services, all the nurses and palliative care were tireless in their efforts to make him comfortable and help him adapt to his medicines and treatment. He has now gone home, where we hope he will continue to do well. Thank you, Gunthorpe Ward and everyone else involved in caring for my wonderful father.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 20 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 28 August 2014

Thank you for telling us about your father's care and the way your family was supported during a difficult prognosis. We will pass on your feedback to the team.