Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

Norwich35 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Unprofessional Behaviour from A&E staff

I had to take my dad to A&E department at Norfolk & Norwich University hospital. My dad was in the Cubicle 7 and we were waiting for a doctor. And there was a senior nurse who stood in front of the cubicle 7 where I could see and hear very well. The way I understood, the senior nurse I have mentioned above was trying to tell about a stroke patient to another staff member. The conversation was very loud.
Until I witnessed this unprofessional, unpleasant moment at Norfolk &Norwich university hospital, I thought all staff are professional people and they have to behave under certain code of conduct, and they have a responsibility to protect their patients. My dad who was waiting to see a doctor became very upset from the whole scenario and said to me, please don't let that nasty staff member to come near me.
I noticed It was not only my dad, there were lots of unhappy faces in each cubicle. Until this day, I could not believe what I saw and heard in A&E at N&NU Hospital. My dad and I were disgusted about this unpleasant situation, and I left A&E with full of scary thoughts and even frightened to leave my dad on his own.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 May 2017

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hospital. I am sorry to read that you found staff unprofessional. Please be assured I will share your feedback with senior staff at the hospital so they are aware. If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me on 01603 289045 and I will be pleased to speak with you. If you prefer, you can make a formal complaint, and you can email this to our Complaints Team at: complaints-team@nnuh.nhs.uk. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Steve Stasos gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful

I have to say that this ward I have been on has been the nicest experience of nhs hospitality that I have ever had, thanks to all the staff of Langley ward for being brilliant, I can't thank them enough, my whole experience was great, I was called at 12mm and told my blood test from 4.30 showed kidney failure, a bed was a already available when I got in at 2am I was diagnosed and being treated straight away, I hot to go home the following Thursday all sorted, thank you all at n&n especially the staff that looked after me.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 May 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 19 May 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent inpatient admission. I am pleased to read you were treated with respect and kindness. We will share your comments with all staff involved in your care. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I hope you are recovering well.

Patient Opinion Logo

Claire gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hysteroscopy

I recently had my second hysteroscopy to have a fibroid removed. I just want to say a big big thankyou to all involved from the doctor to all nursing staff. I was made to feel completely at ease and my whole experience from start to finish was first class. The procedure was fully explained to me from the start and was explained through the whole process. It was mainly pain free and I was offered gas and air and a nurses hand. I just feel I need to write and say the biggest thankyou to all involved . All credit to our wonderful NHS. My only criticism would be the waiting time( nearly 30 weeks). Thankyou again!

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 14 May 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your experience in the Gynaecology Department. I am pleased to read that you were treated well and were kept fully informed. We will share your comments with senior staff at the hospital. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Patient Opinion Logo

Dorothy Bowen gave Neurology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Headache and Migraine Clinic within Neurology

During the past 8 months I have attended the clinic 3 times for treatment and each time I have received excellent attention and care. The treatments have given me a new quality of life and I am extremely grateful. What a wonderful NHS we have, something that we must be grateful for and cherish.
Thank you.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 19 May 2017

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Shelford reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My Heroes

On Easter Sunday my husband who was always fit and healthy had a cardiac arrest. I called 999 and was asked to try and find help which I did but in only minutes an ambulance team were at my door. They immediately went to work and brought my husband back to life using CPR and defibrillating him 3 times. Also a Rapid Response vehicle had arrived and the medic went with my husband in the ambulance to NNUH whilst I travelled there with the ambulance paramedic. He was so kind and made me and my son and daughter in law cups of tea at A &E as we were in shock. He did this after just saving my husbands life; how do you thank such wonderful people? Those 3 paramedics are my family's Heroes. The staff on duty throughout my husbands stay of three weeks were all wonderful, caring and respectful. From A & E, Intensive Care, and High Dependency unit to Coronary Care and the Kilverstone Ward. Now finally home and looking forward to enjoying life to the full once more. We are very lucky and so grateful to this wonderful team. Thank you Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 09 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Dear Family Member
Thank you for your kind comments about your husband's recent emergency admission to the hospital. I am pleased to read that staff were caring and respectful. We will share your comments with all staff involved in his care. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and I am pleased to read your husband is recovering well following his stay.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

wonderful doctors and nurses

Was rushed to A & E on a tuesday afternoon. Within 4 hours i had been assessed seen a doctor had a scan and was talking to the doctor about the results. Had a bleed on the brain. Was admitted to Heydon Ward until being transferred to Addenbrookes on thursday. I cannot thank the wonderful staff in A & E and Heydon Ward enough, you do a great job. Pleased to say after an operation i am now on the mend.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 05 April 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 21 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay in hospital. I am pleased to read that you were well cared for and I hope you are recovering well following your operation. We will share this with all staff involved in your care and thank you for taking the time to write.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Urology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Urology Outpatient

My opinion based upon personal experiences is that Urology Consultants really do not take the time to explain things to me and are far too quick, dismissive, evasive and contradictory in their professional approach.

I have given up and will now be seeking a private consultation elsewhere.

Maybe, if I am paying for it privately, the Urologist will just give me "time" to listen to my worries, concerns and might answer any questions I have without patronising me and rushing me out of the door.

I remain very disapointed with the Urolgy Outpatients at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and that I was not deemed worthy enough of more than four minutes consultation time given that I had waited 55 minutes past my appointment time as the Urologist was running late.

It seems that they aren't really sure what they're talking about, in one breath they say "you are cancer free" and in the next breath they say "well we can't be 100% certain".

Seriously, I have had enough, waste of time and do I feel reassured ? No.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 20 April 2017

Dear Patient
I write further to the comments you have made regarding the Urology Team at the hospital. I am sorry to read you felt dismissed and that you have had a negative experience. I will share your comments with the senior staff in the hospital. Should you wish to discuss this further you can contact me by telephone on 01603 289045 or by email at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

George Holt gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency Service

Although A&E were extremely busy, we were dealt with in a satisfactory and efficient manner. In particular the Emergency Surgery Assessments Unit within the Easten Ward. The nurses, junior doctors were excellent, and the doctor whose in depth diagnosis and professionalism was outstanding, especially due to the fact that we were seen between their emergency surgeries. I now feel much more at ease with the prescribed medication and await contact for my CT scan and eventual Surgery.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 21 April 2017

Sarah Eastwood, PALS Manager, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 27 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your your kind comments following your recent inpatient stay in the hospital. I am pleased to read that you received good care from the nursing and medical staff. I hope you continue to recover and your forthcoming surgery goes well. Thank you for taking the time to write and we will share your feedback with all involved in your care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Michele Taylor gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A/E attendance for wrist injury

I attended A/E on a Friday evening with a wrist injury and expected to wait a long time. Instead I was treated very quickly by a very kind and helpful team of doctors and nurses, who gave me prompt pain relief, an X-ray and back slab to to my arm. I was also given very clear instructions for further support. I just want to say a big thank you to them for such prompt kind and caring treatment for a minor injury when they must see some very distressed people during their normal working day. Thank you.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 23 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments following your visit to the hospital. I am pleased to read that you were treated promptly and that staff were kind and caring. Thank you for taking the time to write and we will share this with the staff involved in your care. I hope you are recovering well.

Patient Opinion Logo

sandramarsh gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hip replacement

From the first appointment with the surgeon back in January to the administration department on the day of my operation,then the staff,all levels,on Denton Ward,the care that I received was outstanding,all staff should be proud of themselves for the service they provide. Well done. My hard work now starts,learning how to walk properly again.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 23 April 2017

Dear Patient
Thank you for your kind comments about the care and treatment you received from the hospital. I am pleased to read you felt you had outstanding care. We will share your feedback with all staff involved in your care. I hope your are recovering well following your inpatient stay and thank you for taking the time to write.