Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Telephone: 01603 286 286
Address: Colney Lane, Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY
Website: http://www.nnuh.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor weekend care

My mother was admitted to Hethel Ward last Friday and was left for hours in pain all weekend despite asking staff for help. Her call bell was left unanswered for long periods of time and if my sister hadn't been there at visiting times to insist on a Dr seeing her I feel she would have had no adequate pain relief. She was left in a wet bed overnight despite assurances that someone would help her. It seems that the day staff were better than the night staff but all in all her care until she died on Sunday was totally unsatisfactory and her dignity was definitely compromised. My family will be contacting PALS. I see from previous reviews that staffing had been identified as an issue and this has not been resolved.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 20 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 22 August 2014

We are very sorry to hear that the standard of care for your mother was poor and we will pass on your concerns to the Director of Nursing. Following a review of our staffing levels, we are investing an extra £2m in nursing staff across our wards and we will be increasing our staffing at night. A recruitment programme is in progress.

Yann gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Respectful, efficient and very kind staff.

I was admitted by Ambulance whilst on holiday near Bacton in our caravan.

Fortunately for me the ambulance staff managed to get me admitted straight into Docking Ward for assessment. It turned out that I was suffering from Pancreatis because of sludge in my gall bladder. Very painful.

I was subsequently transferred to Dilham Ward where all the staff were extremely efficient.

I am lucky enough to be able to communicate clearly and understand what is going on. What I witnessed with other less fortunate fellow patients was exemplary. Patients that were struggling with distressing problems, sometimes in the dead of night, were treated with the utmost respect, and a very nice sprinkling of humour. Very impressive!

At a time when our National Health gets a lot of flack, I can only say my 9 days in this hospital was very good. I also need to say that my Doctor back in Whitstable, where I live, has told me since that I would need to be admitted at least three times to A & E here in Kent, before they would have admitted me in the way I was in Norwich, as an urgent case.

My only slight criticism was the lack of written instructions re when to remove my dressings, diet, suitable exercise, likely symptoms etc when I was discharged. I found it difficult to remember all I was told. I repeat only a slight gripe.

It would easy to single out several individuals for moments of kindness. However that would mean missing some. The whole team did very well!

Big Thank you!

Yann

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 17 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 18 August 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am pleased to hear that on the whole you had a good experience under the care of the Docking ward team. I have passed these comments onto the ward sister to share with her team and note them for future. I hope you are now recovering well.

Simon Patrick gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent hospital

My wife (broken ankle) and myself (gastro consultation; colonoscopy; chest xray) have had a good deal of contact with N&N in the recent month!

We have been so impressed with the efficiency and friendliness of every department and every person we have encountered that I want to formally acknowledge this and thank you for the wonderful “service”.

From the information desk, to the nurses and consultants everyone has been incredibly helpful and always good humoured and this has been particularly noticeable when clinics are full and staff clearly under pressure (A&E a good example).

I would especially like to thank two particular members of staff in the Colonoscopy Ward for making a potentially concerning procedure smooth and actually quite interesting.

Even the smiling countenance and helpfulness of the ladies staffing the coffee bar in the East Outpatients is worthy of note and added to the overall positive experience – nice buns too.

So, when we hear so much complaint about the NHS I think it important that the alternative (and probably much more representative) experience is fully acknowledged and appreciated

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 15 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 22 August 2014

We are delighted to hear that you received such a good impression when visiting so many areas of the hospital. We hope you are both making a good recovery and thank you for telling us about your experience.

Joanne spilling gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Colorectal surgery

I was operated on in February and from the moment I walked in I was treated with care and professionalism , my consultant was very informative and the surgery went well,the staff in the recovery unit were excellent with a special mention to a particular member of staff it was the most relaxed I had ever been before, having had many operations previous for different conditions , I then went on to dilham ward for 3 days and the staff there were excellent so I would like to say a big thank you for making my stay the best it has been as on previous occasions I had been very put off and was so nervous about coming into the nnuh .so thank you to all staff on all levels and to my consultant.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 15 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 22 August 2014

We are pleased to hear that your surgery went well and you had a good experience on Dilham Ward. Thank you for taking the time to feedback about your care and your comments will be passed to the team

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bilateral hip relpacements on care Denton Ward

I am a retired GP and I worked in the NHS for 40 years, 35 of them as a GP in Suffolk.

I had bilateral hip replacements in May under the care of the consultant and I was on Denton Ward for a week. The care I received from the medical and nursing teams was outstanding. I have written to thank them and tell them how grateful I am.

Given the adverse publicity that the NHS receives I wanted to put on record that I think the NNUH is an excellent hospital and I am very grateful for the care that I have received. The standard of cleanliness was exceptional and I also thought the food was of a high standard.

There is one observation that I should like to make which is not a criticism but, I hope, a constructive point. I was in hospital over the May Bank Holiday weekend. There were times, especially at night, when there was a shortage of nursing staff. They were clearly run off their feet. This became especially evident when a patient opposite me developed acute paranoid psychosis. The nurses coped admirably but they were very stretched. The other difficult time is late on the night shift when patients are waking up and needing attention.

I want you to know that you have one very grateful patient.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 22 August 2014

We are delighted to hear that you had a good stay at our hospital and found it to be clean with a good standard of care. We will pass on your comments about staffing levels to our Director of Nursing.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An excellent hospital.

I have spent four weeks in Mulbarton Ward recently. It was two admissions eight weeks apart.

I simply cannot speak highly enough of every person on the team. Nursing staff are outstanding, but everyone from cleaners to volunteers was pleasant and professional. Cleanliness has impressed me as well.

The care I received when I was very ill was so good, and altogether I felt the commitment is to do the best for the patient .

Incidentally, i was less than impressed with the food in my first admission, but It has improved tremendously. I really enjoyed it in July. Well done with that improvement!

I write all this as someone who had only spent two nights in hospital in my entire life. I was quite phobic in many ways. On my second admission, however,once I knew I was going to Mulbarton, it was such a relief.

Thank you so much for all the treatment so far.

I am so proud to have such an excellent hospital

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 18 August 2014

Thank you for your kind comments. We have passed these onto the ward sister to share with her team. It is pleasing to hear that you felt well cared for during your stay and that the food had improved for you. We wish you a good recovery.

A patient gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A&E nurse was a disgrace.

This is the second time in 7 years I had to go to Norwich A&E. Both times I was treated so badly I wanted t get up and leave. This last visit, the nurse was so condescending to me that my son almost lost his temper (my son is the most laid back person you could meet). I had to get a boss (the nurse) to come over so I could let the boss know I didn't want this nurse near me again. If this was a one time thing I would let it go...but..it's not.

The first time, I was taken there by ambulance ( I was already terrified due to heart pains) they left me laying there in the ER and when I asked a nurse what was going on and if I was going to see someone...I got a look that could sink a ship! They could not have been more rude and unfriendly if they tried. The good news is...on this last visit there because I brought it to another nurses attention about how rude this nurse was, I actually got treated with some kindness and they showed actual concern for my well-being. Both my visits were at night...so I think that maybe the night shift could benefit from a training course on good manners. Concern, kindness, and compassion...these are words that should be included in a nurses job....not something a sick patient should have to plead for! I have never been to a Hospital that is as miserable as this place and I dread ever having to go there! Thank goodness for the few good nurses they have there.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 13 August 2014

We are very sorry to hear about the poor welcome you received when you visited our A&E Department. We will pass your feedback to the Matron for A&E and you are welcome to contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service with more information at pals@nnuh.nhs.uk or telephone 01603 289036.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Labour ward

To start of with the time we had to wait is very disappointing! Was waiting up there nearly all day just to be sent back home. The staff are always at the desk just chatting away and then they say they are 'busy' yeah busy talking doing nothing! We have seen some really nice midwife a shame the others have spoiled it. If they say they haven't got the room then surely they would build some more to make room?

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 09 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 22 August 2014

We are sorry that you had a long wait before being sent home again. Thank you for telling us about your experience and we will pass on your feedback to the Head of Midwifery.

Cystic Fibrosis Team

I have been under this team since I moved to Norwich more than ten years ago, and they are fantastic. The CF nurses in particular are incredible - caring, supportive, hard working, knowledgable and very empathetic.
Cross infection risks are dealt with well and the clinic is very clean.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 07 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 11 August 2014

We are very pleased to hear that you have received good care from the CF team and particularly from the specialist nurses who will be pleased to receive your feedback.

BULLMANGAN gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very poor care

The care i received from all medical staff on my recent stay at the hospital fell well short of what i had expected.
From one doctor saying that looking at my ct scan there was no gallstones and everything was okay to another doctor saying that there was a problem and they would have to be removed .
Medication not given at the correct time , by that i mean three hours late. .I also had to have a daily injection to stop my blood clotting but on several occasions i had to remind the staff that i had not had the injection.
Being moved from acute medical unit to kilverstone ward which was for cardi not gastro did not help with my care.
I would not wish to go in nnuh any time soon. David Bull

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 02 August 2014

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital replied on 04 August 2014

We are sorry to hear that you received confusing advice about your condition and that your medication was late. Your feedback will be passed to the teams involved with your care.