Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

01603 286 286 Colney Lane , Norwich, Norfolk, NR4 7UY

norflyer reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

My experiences at NNUH

After 76 years' of good health with very rare visits to my GP, I was diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. Major surgery followed to remove the bladder.
The experience showed how lucky we are in Norfolk to have such superb treatment available, provided by dedicated, caring staff. The Doctors and Nurses made a frightening experience bearable and I will never forget their sympathetic and cheerful attention, nothing was too much trouble in spite of their very high workload.
Since then, I have made several visits for checkups, these are always pleasant experiences due to the Staff. Yesterday, I attended for a gastroscopy and colonoscopy - both of which I had been dreading. The procedure took some time due to the removal of polyps. However, the Doctor and Nurses carrying out the procedure were excellent and were able to make me feel at ease (no sedation! ).
After the procedure other nurses (who were very busy) helped the recovery with welcome coffee and biscuits. I wish to thank all involved and hope that the hospital will be able to continue providing such excellent levels of care and treatment.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 13 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Nigel gave Cardiology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Admitted for heart attack

I was admitted in the early hours of Thursday morning with a heart attack and had a stent fitted into one of my arteries, at the time I was on my own so the memory of the first couple of hours were hazy! but I remember the ambulance drivers being wonderful in their treatment of me as were all the staff in the hospital.The hospital was clean and well run, the food was good and my treatment was explained to me by the staff nurse. All of the staff were wonderful and I will never be able to thank them enough for their professional caring attitude, I was admitted to the hospital with a heart attack thinking that I was going to die and walked out 3 days later!

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 16 August 2016

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Miriam O'Callaghan gave Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Eye clinic

For the past 3 years I have visiting the eye clinic for scans and procedures in my left eye. The respect and treatment I have been given has been second to none. I know sometimes my wait at the clinic can be lengthy but one has to realise I'm not the only one with a problem. There are some who fail to realise this and how hard working the whole of the staff in the clinic are. If it weren't for them I have no idea how my sight would be. I congratulate them on doing such a great job

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 08 July 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 22 July 2016

Dear Miriam
Thank you for your feedback about the eye clinic and the treatment they have given you over the years. We are sorry that you have to wait to be seen sometimes. Our clinic is very busy seeing over 100,000 patients each year and we have expanded our facilities to improve the situation with the New Central Norwich Eye Clinic opening on Grove Road earlier this year. We will ensure the sister for the eye clinic receives a copy of your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

Sarah B gave Gynaecology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

pre/post laporoscopy care on Stalham Ward, Aurthur South

I would like to say a big thank you to everyone on this ward. I had a diagnostic laporoscopy on 13-07-16. From begining to end, admission through to procedure and after care, I felt so well looked after. My consultant gynocologist is wonderful. I will be back for another procedure in the very near future. The open conversations I have had with my consultant about my future surgical options, have filled me with confidence for achieving the best possible outcome.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 15 July 2016

Dear Sarah
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following these investigations. We are pleased to hear that the consultant was supportive and that you feel confident about your future care.

Patient Opinion Logo

Fed up patient. gave Maternity services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worried to have my baby!!

This hospital seems to be a rather large joke! I've had an awful pregnancy, I've been left to sit in my own bloody for 4 hours on cley ward and the delivery suite. I was left for 8 1/2 hours in blakeny ward after being told I'm having a c-section! Lack of care and respect, when a family member called the ward to ask what's going on as I got no answers myself and was told my babies life was at risk! The midwife swore and referred to said family member as an "idiot" because they did not want to call back another number to speak to someone who wasn't on the same ward. Norwich and Norfolk hospital is entirely the worst, spent a night in the delivery suite where my shower room had blood splatters all up the walls. I was told I'll have a c-section after coming in with bleeding to be left on my own and pushed aside! Ridiculous place, rather go anywhere else to have my baby. Seriously considering James pageant or Kings Lynn!!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 19 July 2016

Dear Patient
We are very sorry to read your feedback and about the lack of attention you have received on our maternity wards. There is no excuse for staff swearing or for the lack of cleaning in the bathroom and we do apologise. Your comments have been passed to the Head of Midwifery and you are welcome to contact us if you would like to speak to someone in more detail or make a complaint. Please get in touch with our Patient Advice and Liaison Service in the first instance on pals@nnuh.nhs.uk

FirsttimeMum27 reviewed Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital

Maternity Mayhem

I am a proud mother to an 8 week old little boy, who made his appearance into the world via the NNUH maternity services. His entrance was stressful, complicated and a mixed bag of emotions with a mixed level of care, so I thought I'd highlight the good and the bad.
It started with a long stay on Cley ward after being admitted for an induction which unfortunately, didn't get anywhere. I was lucky in that I was admitted before they begun closing the ward to new inductions due to sheer overcrowding and lack of staff. Anyone would begin to feel a little overwhelmed after 4 days/nights on the same ward with no progress and on a couple of occasions I broke down, but the midwives on duty were just wonderful in their care; in particular a truly remarkable young student midwife. I want to draw attention to these in particular as they looked after both myself and my worried partner with respect and diligence, and I never got chance to thank them enough.
What I will say, is that, in my experience, the doctors are virtually nowhere to be found; I spent days wasting time and taking up valuable bed space because my induction was not progressing and yet they couldn't get hold of a doctor. I understand priority goes to the delivery suite and emergencies, of course, but the maternity services are so badly understaffed. The poor staff do the best with what they have but they need help! As it happens my consultant, was head and shoulders above any other consultant I've ever experienced but the department needs more like them.
Unfortunately the experience ended in a c-section; I can not in any way fault the wonderful theatre staff who prepped me for this as they were so lovely and did everything they could to lessen my anxiety. I only wish I could remember the name of the lovely member of staff who supported and chatted to me throughout the procedure- they deserve the recognition for their level of patient care.
My experience on Blakeney is where things begun to turn particularly downhill for me. In my experience, some of the maternity care assistants are downright rude and unpleasant and one was particularly rough as they handled my catheter bag - and actually caused me a great deal of pain. I also became very unwell after the section and began to lose a lot of blood, which led to me losing consciousness in bed. And yet, there were no doctors to be found and shortly thereafter I was STILL having care assistants and the like trying to force the baby onto the breast. A) I was barely conscious and B) He wasn't latching as he was suffering from low blood sugars himself, which I'm amazed wasn't picked up sooner. He was then taken off to NICU in a hurry as a result, but I felt almost bullied by the staff for not being able to breastfeed him at that time. I know most maternity services have the same agenda, but a little compassion wouldn't go amiss. Furthermore, having had a lot of blood loss, I was then taken back to surgery the next day for another procedure another general to try and stop it. I hadn't been back on the ward long when a care assistant was being very forceful in me getting up out of bed before I was capable, and very rude when I told her I didn't feel ready. So, I tried- and lo and behold I bled all over the floor and lost whatever dignity I had left.
I can't fault the midwives. At all. They are very compassionate, wonderful staff members and most of them actually ended up working longer than their shifts. The student midwives inparticular are the standouts to me and I only wish I'd thanked them more. In particular a staff member who was prepared to help me shower and gain back some of my dignity after a horrible few days. But your maternity care assistants need more training on how to approach women who have a) just given birth and b) ended up having a haemorrhage because being rude and abrasive doesn't help matters.
My final note is around the NICU, after my poor baby spent several nights there. Superb staff, caring and compassionate and empathic, and wonderful facilities. IN the months to come I will hopefully fundraise for the unit as I don't know where we'd both me without it.
It was overall a mixed experience and what is painfully obvious is that the wards are far too small and understaffed for the sheer volume of women they have to cater for. The hospital/trust really needs to invest in these services and support the midwives who do the very best they can. Your maternity care assistants need a talking to, as well, and although there is an 'open curtain policy', it's not fair to keep ripping open the curtains of someone unwell who can barely get out of bed and kept bleeding all over herself and the floor! ! I was hardly a security issue by having the curtains closed to protect my dignity- just a thought.
Hopefully by the time number two might come along, the services will be better equipped and the poor staff given some more help!

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 24 August 2016 using Patient Opinion

Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total satisfaction with every dept

Over the past week l have been lvolved with several dept and cannot praise the staff ln every one enough inparticular the staff at Mri scan who I cannot praise. enough many thanks . Also today my wife was taken to A.E and again everyone was was full of compassion in particular the ambulance crew my sincere thanks to all David M.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 24 July 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 10 August 2016

Dear David
We are pleased to have been able to support yourself and your wife when you needed hospital care. It is reassuring to know that all the staff were helpful and compassionate during your visits. Thank you for telling us about your experience and we hope you are both doing well.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Motorcycle Parking Access

Once again we used the motorcycle parking facility which is very handy and saves us bringing the car and taking up a valuable space. Of course it is also free! However, we have noticed that there is still no pavement connecting the bike parking area, even though a short connecting section to the new car park would be only a few feet long. To make matters worse, there is now a chain link fence on the grass opposite the motorbike parking. We can understand this if it is to stop parking on the grass, but it makes pedestrian access from the motorcycle parking area more difficult and more dangerous now. Could you please think about connecting this excellent facility to the pavement by the new car parking area?

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 27 July 2016

Dear Patient
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We will pass on your comments to our facilities team to see what can be done to improve access to the motorcycle area.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Oncology - Clinical at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

4 day stay in oncolgy ward

First time in hospital ward. Ward contained 6 patients only and seemed new and very clean. Overall care and attention was second to none. Observations were taken regularly and action was taken immediately to respond to the results. The staff seemed to be active and had a positive attitude. Team work was quite evident. I spoke to a number of the nursing staff to ask about their job and, without exception, they all regarded it as a vocation. I cannot understand how a nurse can remain cheerful for an entire nightshift. I used to work nights and shift work and it turned me into a surly being! Some nursing staff took time to speak to patients who wanted to 'chat'', even though they were clearly busy.

Cannot thank the staff enough for their care. I count myself as very fortunate to have stayed in Mulbarton Ward.. Thought the food menu was excellent too.

Massive bonus is free wi-fi in hospital. Thanks NNUH!

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 03 June 2016

Janice Bradfield, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust replied on 17 June 2016

Dear Patient
We are very grateful for your kind comments about Mulbarton Ward. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience as it will make the ward sister's day when she reads your feedback and shares it with the team. We hope you are recovering well after your hospital stay.

Patient Opinion Logo

UntilTodayInPain gave Accident and emergency services at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent ED triage and Urgent Care Centre Midday Today

Every member of staff was happy, kind, professional, friendly - nobody could of made my urgent trip better. The only thing that I could possibly complain about is the misleading signage that directs you to urgent care rather than to ED triage first, however helpful and knowledgeable staff rectified this without much difficulty. I was treated with the utmost respect and dignity with triage conducted in a lovely, clean side room.
A very reasonable waiting time especially for one of the busiest ED/UCCs in the area, with a complete in and out time around two hours, with waiting time in the UCC exactly as the board stated.
The GP I saw was very knowledgeable and did not judge an adolescent seeking pain management and quickly realised how agonising my condition was, prescribing appropriate medication after an involved set of decisions.
Special thanks go to the triage nurse (I'm terribly sorry that I can't remember their name), receptionist, and the doctor for their outstanding care, excellent patient involvement, swift co-operation, and brilliant mannerisms.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 17 June 2016