0117 906 1801 The Brooms, Emersons Green , Bristol, Avon, BS16 7FH

Gary gave Orthopaedics at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Experience at Emersons Green

I am a Wiltshire CCG patient and in late May (2017), went to my GP seeking referral to a consultant orthopaedic surgeon for a total knee replacement of my left knee. Within a few weeks I had seen a consultant (at Devizes) and been referred for surgery at Emerson's Green. Within 9 weeks of my GP appointment, I have had the knee replaced and throughout the process, have nothing but praise for Care UK staff at both Devizes and Emerson's Green.

Apart from the significantly shorter waiting time for the operation compared to, say, GWH, (and which could have been even shorter had I opted for the first available slot), as Emerson's Green only does elective surgery, I also had a very high degree of certainty that the operation would happen at the planned time, on the planned day, which greatly helps to reduce any stress or anxiety felt about the operation.

The facility at Emerson's Green itself is modern and clean, with free parking, free wifi, and free TV. The food is good, and the staffing ratios appear to be very good.

I met with the consultant orthopaedic surgeon and the anaesthetist before the operation, and both again, twice afterwards, either during the planned twice-daily ward rounds or at other times. I always felt that all of the staff had sufficient time to ensure that my treatment and recovery was as good as it could be. Post-operatively, the nursing and physio support was excellent, the staff friendly, professional, and attentive. I couldn't fault it.

I was discharged two days after the operation and now, 12 days further on, feel I am making excellent progress. I also find the Care UK 'Pocket Physio' app is useful for supplementing the information and exercise guidelines given to me by Emerson's Green staff.

If patients are able to make the journey to/from Emerson's Green, then I highly recommend it, all the more so given my experiences of a previous knee replacement at a different hospital.

Overall, this was an excellent experience at Emerson's Green.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 16 August 2017

Thank you so much for your extensive review Gary - we are delighted that your experience of both Devizes and Emersons Green were positive. We would love to share your experience and use some of your comments on our website and other materials if possible, if you would be interested please email Holly Wale, Marketing Executive on holly.wale@careuk.com to discuss. We look forward to hearing from you. Many thanks, Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Benji gave General Surgery at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent nursing and surgical care. Booking tricky..

I was given the option of Emersons Green treatment centre, alongside other options including a private hospital and South Bristol Community hospital. I was referred for surgical repair of an umbilical hernia.
So glad I chose EG as the day couldn't have gone any more smoothly, from reception and clerking all the way through to recovery and discharge. The nurses, HCAs, anaesthetist and surgeon were all really nice and had time to talk and establish a good rapport. Plenty of humour thrown in too, which put me at ease.

My only gripe is the booking system as it seemed to be very uncoordinated. I had been told at the pre-op assessment that I would be contacted and informed of available dates for the procedure. However after 3wks I hadn't heard anything and needed to phone up to check it was still going ahead. Apparently my letter hadn't been sent out. I booked a day over the phone but with very limited choices available to me as I had dropped off the radar. I wasn't given a time for the op which is normal (but no letter was later sent out to confirm this, as had been promised) and again I needed to phone up to check this, 3 days before the op. Couldn't get through on booking line, no one answered and so I spent about an hour trying different numbers via reception to eventually get through to someone who didn't really sound like she knew what was going on. I was told a time but then also told I needed to "come in urgently today" for an MRSA nasal swab, something that I had already provided at the pre-op assessment. Apparently this one had expired and the op wouldn't happen unless I had another one done! After trying rearrange my work and kids I then got a phone call saying I didn't need to have another one. I double checked this as I didn't want to arrive for op to be turned away.
I work for the NHS and so I can appreciate what can happen during periods of change, but the booking system just seemed completely disjointed, which is a shame as the actual day couldn't have gone better. Thank you so much to all the brilliant clinical staff I came into contact with, during pre-op assessment and on the actual day.??

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 15 July 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you for leaving a review, we are delighted that your experience was positive on the day and you were put at ease by the staff at the centre. We are sorry to hear that the booking process did not go smoothly, please be assured that we are looking into this to ensure that any problems can be addressed.
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

My heria surgery

I have nothing but praise for the care and treatment l received from every member of staff involved on the day of my heria surgery. I was impressed by their professionalism. Each person had checked my medical history going through my notes with me. I found it reassuring to be told exactly what would be done and what to expect. I felt priviledged and lucky to receive treatment on our NHS and at this hospital. I didnt get the chance to thank those who operated on me personally, but hope they read this! You did a great job.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 20 July 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 21 July 2017

Thank you very much for your kind comments. Our staff pride themselves on their thoroughness, care and attention to every patient. We will certainly pass you comments on to the team.
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

2nd Cataract Surgery

When I was offered cataract surgery at Emmerson Green for the second time on my left eye after right eye surgery last year, I jumped at the opportunity. I cannot praise the surgeons and staff enough, I would highly recommend this hospital and would have no hesitation in returning again if needs be for any other procedure and have already extolled the virtues of the hospital to family and friends. Thank you for your patience and care, it is truly appreciated from a most grateful and happy patient.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 16 June 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review of your cataract surgery. We are thrilled to hear that you jumped at the chance to return to us for your second procedure. The staff strive to provide first class treatment and service to our patients so it will be a real pleasure to pass on your comments to all the teams involved in your care.
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

Very nervous about having my procedure done in endoscopy, but from start to finish I was treated with dignity and respect . I was treated as an individual person not just a number. Banter between staff put me at ease. Everyone was just so lovely. Thank you all .

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 18 June 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 19 June 2017

Thank you very much for your comments, it is great to hear that your experience was positive and staff put you at ease. These will be passed on to the endoscopy team who greatly appreciate your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Ioanna Photiou-Annie gave Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Extremely happy difficult patient

I came today for a multiple teeth extraction operating. I would like to thank from my heart all the staff that were involved in my treatment. Starting from the recovery nurse that welcomed and prepared me with their kind care, to the nurse involved in my operation -who was the voice of reason to all my irrational fears. Also, as an extremely difficult patient to canulate, I would like to extend a massive thanks you to the anesthetic nurse. They went above and beyond all possible human efforts to find a vein to canulate me with extreme passion and care. Last but definitely not least, I would like to congratulate my doctor for being the amazing doctor that they are. As a patient, I was made to feel very comfortable by them, reassuring all my fears (I have a massive fear for all dentists, especially surgical dentists) and making me laugh with amazing humour.
The whole team I mentioned above were amazing, and I would definitely recommend this NHS trust to anyone that needs treatment.
Thank you guys, you were all fabulous. If everyone working in this Trust is as amazing as you four people, then I guess you have managed to create the perfect NHS trust.
I would appreciate it if my review was passed personally to the people I mentioned above.
Annie

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 21 June 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 22 June 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. We really appreciate all the feedback we get from our patients and it's fabulous to read such wonderful and comprehensive praise. The staff strive to provide first class care and service and will be thrilled to receive such a glowing review. It will be a real pleasure to circulate your feedback to the teams involved.
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Carole sowter gave Ophthalmology at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Most enjoyable experience

Well what a great experience I had I have had my share of operations but this was the best the staff at this hospital could not have made the day any better they listened to any concerns I had they were professional in every thing they hard to do and made me feel like a person not just another patient and to top it they rang me with a follow up call to make sure everything was ok I could not have asked for better care so I would recommend this spotless well run hospital to any one and looking forward to my next cataract operations well done Emerson Green

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 22 June 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 22 June 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent cataract operation. It's great to hear that you felt so well looked after by the staff and that they provided excellent care. Your kind comments and praise will be shared with all the teams involved in your care.
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 1 stars

More than 16 week waiting list for general surgery

My husband opted for Emersons Green Treatment Centre only because of advertised short waiting list for general surgery. Saw surgeon in Feb who said that sizeable bilateral inguinal hernia could be fixed in late March but we opted for around second week in April because of family reunion; this was confirmed and noted on the day by admin staff.
Weeks passed with no letter giving date of op; we phoned twice, eventually discovering that there was no foreseeable date for the surgeon in question because waiting list was so very long. Offered date in June if switched to unknown surgeon. MRSA test done in Feb was no longer valid so had to drive 50 miles for repeat test (seen 45 minutes after appointment time) a few days before the op which finally happened more than 16 weeks after first consultation.
We were assured that no other patients had been put higher on the waiting list but given no explanation for huge delay. Throughout the period Feb - June the website was claiming 5 - 7 weeks waiting list for general surgery. If we hadn't pressed for news and action, my husband would still be waiting on the original surgeon's list, which was apparently extending well beyond the summer.
Treatment was fine on the day but the promised phone call 'to check on progress two or three days after the op' never happened.
Given that the only reason for opting for this place was the short waiting lists to deal with a condition that was already debilitating and uncomfortable, it was an unsatisfactory and very disappointing experience. If it is true that other patients were not jumped ahead on the list, there must be many more who are waiting for up to three times longer than the advertised times on the website.
The one-star ratings reflect the centre's failure to communicate regarding the initial surgeon's 'endless' waiting list, except when we phoned for a second time to press for information and agreed to switch to a surgeon who didn't meet my husband until the day of the op.
We note that the 5* rating is based on only 85 reviews, which can represent only a small percentage of patients.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 14 July 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 17 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to post your views of your recent treatment with us. We really value honest patient feedback as it helps us to understand what we are doing well and areas where we could do better. We would like to offer our sincere apologies for your poor experience. If possible we would like to investigate further some of the concerns you have raised: would you be kind enough to contact our Operations Manager, Ann Brewin with a few further details in order for us to do? Ann.Brewin@careuk.com Tel 0117 906 1826

Hernia and gallbladder operation

On arrival reported to reception there was a slight hiccup has was sent to the wrong department so was taken back to the main reception of which was told where to go went upstairs to the reception then was asked to take seat and was meet by a lovely nurse who at to take some blood of which at third attempt managed to get some I was then taken to get ready for surgery after surgery was taken to recovery where all the nurses where so kind and caring I'm not very good at remembering names I have to say all nurses and surgeon and their team are a credit to Emerson green

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 19 April 2017

Thank you for making the time to post your comments for us. We really appreciate the feedback we get from patients and it's a real pleasure to hear that you are so pleased with the care and kindness you received during your recent visit.
Regards,
Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre

Paul Upton gave Dentistry and Orthodontics at Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre a rating of 5 stars

Nice place to feel you will be looked after

I suppose everyone feels a bit of trepidation when going into a hospital. Well my second visit to Emerson Green alleviated this . Yesterday was for treatment after the first one wa for a consultation. It was for a tooth extraction.
I cannot talk highly enough about the ambience ,staff, facilities and treatment. I was made to feel relaxed ,confident I was in good hands and then treated very professionally . The after treatment in the recovery room was relaxing and even went away with souvenir of medicines to combat any pain.
I was talked through the procedures had tests to prove I was fit on the day to have the treatment and actually left the treatment centre in a mood that said actually in the circumstance that was pretty good ??
Please ensure this review reaches the staff involved as they and the management deserve to hear positive news which can be sparse these days .
Regards

Paul Upton

Paul Upton

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 02 April 2017

Emersons Green NHS Treatment Centre replied on 03 April 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words, these have been passed on to staff members who greatly appreciate hearing feedback. We are glad your experience with us was a good one, our team prides themselves on the highest level of care and professionalism.
Many thanks,