Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

hogwarter gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A and E

I was in A and E with my dad after he was picked up by ambulance from home by request of his GP. I cannot fault the care and professionalism of the staff, at every level. I was shocked to see paramedics queuing out of the door trying to get people in, making real the reports on the news. The staff were working non stop in a difficult situation and were amazing. My only concern and observation was that procedures were delayed because of equipment. Having to hunt for a thermometer and an ECG machine not working. Personally I think the staff deserve better and solvable problems like this would possibly aide their care. I can't fault any of them and thank them for their commitment in a tough role.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 January 2017

Good afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences of the good care and professionalism given to your dad from our Emergency Department. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was lovely to read your praise about our staff. In terms of the issues you witnessed with our equipment, I have forwarded on your concerns to our Matron for ED to investigate.

Libby gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Incredible care, thank you

On our way home from Derriford having spent the last 24 hours receiving care for my poorly 10 month old daughter from your amazing teams of staff. Thank you so much to everyone who saw us in ED, X-Ray West, CAU and Woodcock Ward, we felt so safe and attended to. Every single member of staff we encountered took their time to ensure we were listened to and my daughter received the best unriahed care, even though it was obvious that all departments were flat out busy. You all made a scary experience much less so and I could not be more grateful. Thank you again.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Dear Libby
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the recent care your daughter received from our Emergency Department, X-Ray West, CAU and Woodcock Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the teams involved in her treatment and care as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope your daughter is feeling much better and recovering well at home.

Patient Opinion Logo

Terri Walker gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ED visit

I had to attend the ED yesterday after a sporting injury, I was dealt with promptly and professionally by the amazing staff I met. I was surprised that I was in and out within 2hrs, much quicker than I have experienced in the past at another hospital years ago. Many Thanks

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 07 January 2017

Dear Terri
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the care you received from our Emergency Department following your sporting injury. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the team in ED as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your them.
I was pleased to read you were seen so quickly and allowed home, I hope you are recovering well at home.

Patient Opinion Logo

Beverly Richards gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks and appreciation

I would like to thank all the staff involved in caring for me at A&E on the morning of Sunday 15th January. Having slipped on ice I was in some pain, but observed that the team were deft, efficient and caring in spite of the intense pressure of a busy ED. I am in awe of the intensity of workload that you are under and really appreciate the quality of care I was given, and the thoroughness of the treatment. I hope that my appreciation can be conveyed to the staff involved.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 16 January 2017

Madbat1 reviewed Derriford Hospital

My breast cancer experience

From the moment I was diagnosed I have had the most wonderful treatment in the Primrose Unit, theatre and oncology. I don't recognize the image portrayed in the press of Derriford,
The staff are clearly stretched but that doesn't mean that they don't give exemplary care. I have always felt totally confident that I am receiving the best possible care available anywhere
I can't express my gratitude enough for my continuing excellent treatment

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 13 January 2017 using Patient Opinion

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Brilliant Service from Orthodontics

Daughter treated at Orthodontic Department for the past 18 months. Cannot fault the service. Appointments always run on time, never kept waiting and had no appointments cancelled. Staff friendly, professional and knowledgeable. I only wish the rest of Derriford Hospital were up to this standard!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 January 2017

Keith gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class

During my recent stay I received care to the highest standard.Everyone looked after me really well.As I had to spend Christmas in the hospital it was so good to be given a gift and even a cracker.A big thank you to Derriford Hospital!

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 11 January 2017

kelly searl gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

hope to not have to stay again

while my labour went smoothly due to complications with his breathing my son was worked on for an hour before being taken to NICU i then waited 4 hours to have my stitches i was left in the room completely alone bleeding everywhere it was dripping all over the floor i worry mow what could have happened while i was left alone for so long bleeding heavily and with open wounds i could have hemoraged passed out or got an infection i waited longer to be stitched up than i was in labour for! i found the general lack of communication very upsetting for me as i had no idea what was happening with regards to my care or my baby's over the next 5 days i had to wander around the department looking for someone to ask for some pain relief where to go for breakfast ect and although the staff in NICU were lovley i wasn't told he was put on a 5 day course of antibiotics so woke each day thinking we would be discharged to find out after 3 days we would have to stay for 5! i was so upset i cryed for hours . i hope i never have to stay in hospital again as my first experience i have found it very stressful upsetting and traumatic

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 06 January 2017

Dear Kelly Searl
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent and traumatic experience of the care you received from our Labour Ward and the team in NICU. I’d really like to look into the points you have raised further and would ask you to email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net with some further information so I can investigate your concerns with our Head of Midwifery.

Barry Tillyer gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Many thanks to Cardiology Team and staff on Bickleigh Ward

I would like to pass on my heartfelt thanks to all members of cardiology who treated me last week when I underwent an angiogram and due to a blocked artery a stent procedure later that same day. I found all of the team friendly, informative about my condition and totally professional in all aspects of my treatment. A special mention also for all the staff on Bickleigh Ward who looked after me so well. The whole experience from my initial visit through to my discharge was extremely positive and leaves me full of admiration for all your staff. Thank you

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 19 December 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 04 January 2017

Dear Mr Tillyer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is really good news that you received good treatment from your consultant and his team.
As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff within the Cardiology department and on Bickleigh Ward.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the teams involved in your care. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I wish you well with your recovery
Claire Jukes
Patient Services Support Manager

VickyBristol reviewed Derriford Hospital

My mother was admitted via A&E and was discharged a week or so later on. I am contacting you to say a big thank you, (she was on Tavy, then Tamar then Meldon wards) because having had a less than positive experience in hospital some years ago, she was very apprehensive about the possibility of being admitted again.
She has continually told me how kind all the nurses are, "nothing is too much trouble" and the compassion that she felt as part of the ethos of the hospital. She even praised the hospital food and the level of choices she had.
For personal reasons I couldn't get to Plymouth to visit her but my brother and uncle and aunt did, and they also commented that she seemed frail but "rested" and comfortable with being there.
So - I mentioned before how helpful and kind nurses were when I phoned via the wards - could you please pass on my thanks and appreciation to all the ward staff? They are a credit to the hospital and to the NHS.

Visited in December 2016. Posted on 17 December 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 05 January 2017

Dear Vicky,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments following your mother's recent experience with us.
It is lovely to hear that your mother enjoyed the food and she felt that she was treated with compassion.
I will ensure that a copy of your feedback is passed onto the various wards that your mother attended.
I wish your mother well with her recovery
Claire Jukes