Derriford Hospital

Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Scott Milway gave Geriatric Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Hembury Ward Derriford

My mother in law, aged 89 entered Hembury Ward on 25th May 2014 and was cared for in the unit until her transfer to a nursing home on 23rd June 2014. She suffered from vascular dementia and Parkinsons with dietary complications. Throughout her stay she was treated with dignity and respect. As she was then in terminal decline there was little the staff could do to improve her situation but the care and compassion she was given was outstanding in the extreme and gives us faith in the 'human condition'. We saw staff performing beyond the call of duty. This was no showcase as we were often present out of normal visiting times. The stress they work under would be intolerable and not acceptable in a normal employment role and we applaud them. I am afraid that it reflects badly on our system that there are just not enough staff to cope with the increasing demands in the NHS. You need more help! Anyway, a big 'thank you' to all those working on Hembury and their manager Sarah.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 28 July 2014

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Patient meals

My husband has been in Derriford hospital this week under going cardiac surgery. All went well and he is on the mend and all the staff were fantastic.

But.............. The food, it can only be described as slop, it is absolutely foul, it looks foul and tastes foul, from the main meals right down to the packets of biscuits given with the tea. Never have I seen or tasted anything so disgusting, I have to bring him food in. If he was going to be there for any length of time he would be a shadow of his former self. How can you possibly expect the frailer patients to recover with this slop. It beggars belief.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 25 July 2014

bill g gave General Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

sau

had to take my daughter to the gp ,one look at her said she must go to hospital right away,took her right away to sau great service ,had to stay with her as she is very ill ,after many hours blood tests, scans etc ,drips, drugs ,etc told that she was being kept in and said best to go home and come back next day .went to pick up car 12 pound parking fee,my gps surgery said take her by car as to wait for ambulance would waste time ,so i save the nhs money by takeing her myself and more inportant what was best for her , end up paying 12 pounds ,i think 5 pound max for parking is dear but not daylight robbery as the 12pounds were ,plus the fact i dont consider my visit was just in the context of visiting someone,i think in my case and others in the same situation tghe parking should be free ,or do thay charge ambulances or the air ambulance for bring very ill people in to the hospital ?,final point is parking was not the thing on top of my thoughts ,

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

Anonymous gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Sadly we have no voice!

My sister was admitted to Derriford in the hope she would be referred to Mount Gould.
She is 54 years old and suffers from a progressive MS. She lives alone and the goal is for her to live in her own home.
Since being in the hospital she has become incontinent because the nurses cannot assist her to transfer( health and safety!) (whose one may ask?) so she has to wait for two people and a hoist which is obviously not going to be very quick and therefore too late!
For the first week she received no physio and was repeatedly left in her own urine for several hours, and in a bed, when prolonged time in a bed results in painful stiffness.
Eventually after a week and a half on an unsuitable ward she was moved up to Burrator, an acute stroke ward. Here we thought the help would improve but we were wrong. Another week before a consultant saw her. No physio at all from Friday to Monday and very limited if it's not too busy for the rest of the week. I was told today 21st July 2014 at 4.15 after waiting all day that they had simply been too busy today and that my sister was not a priority! She is a 54 year old woman desperate to return home. I think she should be a priority. We feel let down, neglected and forgotten!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

felt let down

I received great care through the primrose clinic and oncology. Right through to having a masectomy performed by a breast surgon after getting the all clear I decided to have an elected second masectomy before reconstruction. Big mistake. For me being young it was the right choice but the surgical team let me down. My name was taken off the waiting list. The inplants tore my muscles in my ribs as they were expanded. Dispite being told they were tempory and not to be left in for more than 6 months.They were very uncomfortble My doctor wrote to the surgon and asked for me to be checkef but it was 8 months later they were removed. I had a masive infection. They could not be replaced as the infection was so bad I was left with no inplants and in total I had 16 hrs of surgery 4 operations. Took 2 years and I know I should go back as some scars are sore and tight and they could be inproved but I can not face any more. Not happy. Go anywhere else for reconstruction. If you can. I did write a letter of complaint the reply was an insulating just explined how to complain to an ombidsman.

Visited in August 2012. Posted on 20 July 2014

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Maternity and early pregnancy department

While my daughter was in labour, the midwives she was treated by were very unfriendly, no bedside manner at all, they did not introduce themselves or ask our names and relationship to patient. Not made to feel at all at ease. There for 8 hours before offered a drink. Very negative experience. After the birth, my daughter was meant to have a follow up appointment, to make sure she had healed properly after her third degree tears which she had to go to theatre for. 18 months later she had a phone call to say she had to go in for appointment as she had slipped through the net, she told them she was pregnant and so she could not have these test, but told to inform her midwife as she may not be able to give birth naturally again.
A few weeks later she had a small bleed, she phoned an out of hours go, who said she would have to wait three days for a scan, when she went for the scan she was told she could have her dates wrong and she may not be as far on as she thought (8weeks) she was told it was a fifty fifty chance she had lost her baby and needed to go back in a week. The following week she was told she had, had a missed miscarriage and they could offer her an operation or tablets to bring on the miscarriage. She wanted to leave it to happen naturally,
2weeks later it had not so she phoned the epu and they were so rude and treated her like she was a nuisance. After three attempt of tablets and a lot of staff being rude she had to go in for the op. When she went in 2 days earlier for the scan, they asked her why she was there!!! The staff obviously do not reed any notes, which is totally unacceptable, my daughter was so distressed with the whole experience, there is no compassion whatsoever, maybe if she was having an abortion she would have had more sympathy!! She went in 2days later for the op, which was 2 weeks ago, she did not bleed much and was in terrible pain after, she rang the epu for advice and once again they were rude and told her to phone her go and put the phone down on her. She has since seen the go, a pregnancy test is still positive, she is waiting for blood test and a scan in 5 days. She is absolutely distraught with what she has been through. She has been treated terribly with no respect and no answers. The lack of compassion is disgraceful and you would expect better treatment from the nhs. This has been going on for 7weeks now. The whole experience she has had with derriford is disgusting. I just hope they can sort this out for her next week as she is at her wits end with it. I have been with her through her labour experience and the recent misfortune of her missed miscarriage and I can not believe what I have witnessed, absolutely disgusted with the lack of care from derriford hospital.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

Brian Norris gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thrustle Ward

I want to express my appreciation for the care and service that I received from all staff members when admitted to Thrustle Ward on Saturday evening July 12th.following food poisoning.

They were clearly under pressure from coping with male patients admitted with drink and drug related conditions, but they maintained their pleasant ,efficient and polite manner.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

Dennis gave General Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Cataract operations

Full marks to the professor & all of his section. Had my second cataract operation on Thursday by the professor which was completed without any problems and with great professionalism . My first op was completed about 18 weeks ago by a lady surgeon and again was extremely good with absolutely no pain at all.
The results of the first op were so good I couldn't wait for the second one. Now I've had them both done the sight difference is unbelievable. I can see better now than I have done for many years & also realise what I have been missing. Thank you professor & all your staff I am extremely grateful.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

paulp gave Surgery - Breast at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Admin a big concern.

My wife, who has since very sadly passed away, received radiotherapy and chemo at Derriford for secondary breast cancer. The consultant and his team and the nurses involved were excellent . However, the general level of admin ranged from poor to , at times, quire appalling. The right hand didn't seem to have any idea what the left was doing. We had a 100 mile round trip on each visit and were sometimes faced with extremely long waiting times not only when arriving but also departing. Worst of all though, a week after her treatment was stopped and she was sent home, we had a phone call to book her next chemo session - they were totally unaware of the situation. Then, about a fortnight after she passed away, two seperate appointments to attend for treatment arrived in the post. This was most distressing for us and totally inexcusable.

Visited in July 2013. Posted on 08 July 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Richard gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Daughters teeth out in Plym

A horrible procedure for my 9 year old daughter (9 teeth extracted) but dealt with compassion and excellent communication between staff and myself. Whole experience over in 4 hours.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 01 July 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

* Sorry, we have been unable to determine the costs of calls made to numbers starting in 0845 1558 at this time.