Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Ali Catto gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A&E Admission Today

Derriford Hospital receives much bad press, but I would like to praise how well treated I was this morning.
I had to admit myself to A&E this morning due to ongoing bowel issues. Although it was surprisingly quiet, which helped my waiting times, the care and service I received was outstanding.
One member of staff and the Doctor I saw were both amazing, thorough and commited. The member of staff in particular was a lovely nurse, who was friendly, caring and a massive credit to your team.
I wanted to make sure I gave positive feedback, as the service I received aided my recovery and well being. Thank you

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 07 March 2017

Anonymous gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Acute Neurological Assessment Ward

A big thank you to all the staff on the Acute Neurological Assessment Ward where my 91 year old mother was assessed. Dispite the waiting room over full with patients, all the staff were very professional and caring and kept us informed on our progress. We were in Derriford over 6 hours, but cannot complain about this as you could see the staff were working flat out. I hope the managers appreciate the pressure the staff are under.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 10 March 2017

Anonymous gave Geriatric Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Shipley Ward

My Mum has been admitted twice to Shipley ward. The care on the ward was wonderful from the people delivering the teas to the nursing staff. The doctor I saw is the best, so caring and gentle and always willing to listen. The other doctors are awesome too. Can't thank them enough.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 11 March 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Graham Brooks gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Such superb care. Thank you!

I have just returned home from a seven night admission to Clearbrook Ward following a successful heart valve replacement operation performed on 1st March. Through you, I wanted to extend my heartfelt thanks and gratitude for the kind, courteous and professional care afforded to me following my operation.

Here are some highlights. After my operation, I was swiftly transferred from ICU to the HDU at Torrington where to begin with, I mostly slept. I recall that whenever I woke, there was always someone by my bedside, with a smile, keeping watch and keeping me informed of what was happening.

When I transferred to the ward, I was looked after by the superb nursing team who's care, skill and compassion was outstanding. For two nights I couldn't sleep so it was arranged for me to be transferred to a side ward which gave me the chance to get the rest I needed. One of the team was also concerned that I did not want to eat and they got me some soup and helped me to eat it.

The person in the next bed was confused and distressed. He was over eighty and had received major heart surgery. The time and patience offered him helped to reassure him and reduce his levels of distress.

The whole team worked tirelessly together, always with a smile, always with kindness and affection, helping their patients to recover. If they found time for a gap in their duties, they sat down to talk to the patients, not each other. They encouraged independence, but ensured safety.

And they were part of a wider team. When my appetite returned, I found the food to be tasty, plentiful and varied, served always with a smile and a check that everything was placed within reach. The ward was spotlessly clean, looked after by a housekeeping team who were friendly, hard working, professional, yet unintrusive. And who popped their heads around every day to say good morning.

This is just a snapshot of my weeks stay following major surgery and I just wanted to thank everyone for their hard work, their care and their professionalism and for getting everything absolutely right. The care I received was Outstanding. Thank you!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 09 March 2017

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Breast Screening at the Primrose Unit

Having attended for an initial breast screening, I was called back due to an anomaly which needed to be investigated. Obviously this caused anxiety, regardless of the wording in the letter for the recall, which tried to negate any worries or concerns.
On attending the department, the staff were all welcoming, polite and went out of their way to reassure and provide a safe environment to discuss concerns.
I was seen by a radiologist, then a registrar followed by a consultant. Investigations were carried out, and I was informed at all stages what was happening and why. Communication was excellent.
I was fortunate that the anomaly did not require anything further, and although the experience was scary and anxiety provoking, the professionalism and communication shown by the staff in this department went a long way to reassure. Thank you.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 17 March 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment

My experience began with a 111 call, they sent an ambulance very quickly, the crew were highly professional and friendly, I felt in safe hands. Emergency staff at Derriford saw me very quickly (I had breathing difficulties from asthma ) and my medical treatment was swift, effective and compassionate. Staff noticed the little things e.g. I did not have to ask for a blanket, a passing staff member saw I was cold and brought one. I was taken to MAU where again I was treated extremely well, medically and emotionally. The staff were run off their feet but maintained high standards of care in everything and were dedicated to their patients. I next went to Hexworthy ward where again I was welcomed on to the ward and impressed by the standard of care I received. Staff were friendly and very efficient. The next morning I was seen by a team who explained my treatment and I felt very reassured, this was quickly followed by a visit from an asthma nurse who was so helpful in explaining things and giving very clear advice, their specialist knowledge was incredible. Having been told I might go home, while waiting for tablets I was impressed by the team working in the ward, attention to everything was of a very high standard, alongside a happy atmosphere. When I received my tablets I was unsure of the dosage and this was dealt with by a nurse who asked the Dr to come and explain, which they did, very clearly and without making me feel uncomfortable at having to ask. My experience on this ward could not have been any better, from cleanliness, food and drinks, to medical care; I have no qualms in rating this ward very highly. The NHS staff receive such bad press but my experience was the complete opposite, I thank everyone involved. My only concern is the wait involved before receiving a prescription before discharge, although in such a huge hospital it must be difficult, all credit to the staff they were sympathetic and did not make me feel 'in the way' during my wait, ensuring I was fed etc and still cared for.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 21 March 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Iain gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

BIG THANK YOU TO ALL

Dear All,
I was brought into Derriford Hospital A & E about 6:30 am on Sat 11 Feb with a suspected Heart Attack and I was seen to almost immediately. No corridor for me but straight into my own cubicle for all the appropriate tests. Eventually I was taken to the Medical Assessment Ward in Thrushel Ward where I was given more checks. Thankfully I was released at 4:0pm for my wife to take me home and I have been fine since.
I should like to take this opportunity to thank you all; the Ambulance people, the A & E staff, and the staff in Thrushel Wards for looking after me so well (sorry I can’t remember all your names). I seemed to leave in a bit of a rush and did not have time to thank you all personally. You all, and I mean all, from Doctors to tea person, all did a wonderful job. It might just have been another job, another day to you but to me it was my life and I am very grateful to each and everyone of you. I know the NHS gets a bit of “flak” sometimes but as far as I am concerned you all did a 100% job in a friendly and comforting way and if everyone did their job as good as you the world would be a much better place. Once again many, many thanks,
Yours gratefully,
Iain Sainsbury.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

David kelley gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

full teeth extraction

Staff was all polite and very helpful before and after op many thanks for making it a comfortable experience

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Julie gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent experience

i had a tough time of it - failed induction, sepsis during labour, failed epidural, episiotomy, forceps, heavy blood loss..., however all the way through it was explained what was happening and i felt in control. Midwives on delivery suite were compassionate and friendly and i felt very safe. The doctors were all lovely too and very efficient and when things started to get a bit scary with my baby being distressed and me bleeding heavily etc they took charge quickly to get my little boy delivered safely. Afterwards we needed a few days of treatment on transitional care ward - nursery nurses and midwifes there were lovely also and really helpful - they couldnt do enough for me. I owe them a great deal for helping me and my son learn to breastfeed those few days which proved to be more difficult than expected!! Apart from a silly rule about havingbto leave my baby at mealtimes to eat in the dining room (rather than at my bed) i was really happy with all the care I experienced at Derriford.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 February 2017

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your son.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to feedback about your experience in the Maternity Department. I am delighted to see that your was so positive and please rest assured your kind comments will be shared with the team.

We are just undertaking a review of the visiting hours within maternity; prompted by your feedback we will encompass reviewing mealtimes on the Transitional Care Ward at the same time.

Once again, thank you

Sue Wilkins
Director of Midwifery/ Assoc Director of Nursing
01752 (4) 32092

Debbie gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I recently had a planned operation and can honestly say I had the best care from coming in to discharge, I saw my surgeon about twice a day who kept checking on me, the recovery staff were brilliant, all staff and doctors gave me the best care

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017