Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Andy Perkins gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Overnight admission after a spinal Angiogram

An eye opener! My respect goes to the hard working staff on Moorgate ward where I witnessed constant care being given to the patients around me!
I am not including the initial support for myself by the Neurology consultants and the actual Angiogram - This was all superb and I intend to complete separately.
This review is based around the one night in Moorgate ward - I was completely fine after my angiogram and was in and out of sleep from the early evening to 8.00 the following morning. Initially I felt uncomfortable with very poorly people around me, I have always had a fear of hospitals and been fortunate enough to avoid any admittance up to now.
After just 5 or 10 minutes I dropped my fears and found myself very inquisitive to the patients symptoms around me and the care they received from the various staff on the ward. May I say how much respect I have for our NHS and the service provided free of charge. There was clearly a shortage of resource early evening and a nurse had been called from Intensive care to assist. It was apparent the ward was grateful for the support and this staff member was happy to help, very patient, very polite and very knowledgeable of the patients needs! I witnessed the hand over to night shift and she was very thorough, bless her she stated parts of the paperwork were alien to her but the next nurse ensured this was completed correctly! Through the night he checked my blood pressure and I would then watch and listen as he completed the necessaries with the other 5 patients in my bay, He was respectful and efficient and on many occasions called to assist in other bays once he had finished in mine. I was surrounded by very poorly people, most could not speak, some could respond with a squeeze, they were clearly here for a duration and reliant on the expert care of the ward - I was humbled, I was grateful I knew I was being discharged in the morning, I was very sad for these patients, I was in awe of these staff I was witnessing!
The day shift arrived with a colourful entrance and immediately introduced themselves asking me basic questions on my name preference and how I was feeling. They made me very comfortable and again I witnessed a very professional hand over. Within minutes I watched them treat the patients with checks, changes, washes, assurances - overall a professional and extremely efficient service.
In this day and age we find it all too easy to complain when things go wrong or not to expected standard, yet unfortunately we rarely give credit where due and take a step back to look at the overall picture.
As already mentioned, I was humbled and educated in just one night. I am proud of the NHS, I was extremely proud of the ward's staff and hard work. My only concern was how busy they were and dare I say under resourced at times.
Thank you for treating me with respect, but more importantly supporting those less fortunate in my ward with the dignity and efficient manner I witnessed!!

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 03 February 2016

Anna Hammond gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colposcopy

I had been so frightened beforehand but all the staff were so kind and helpful. The procedure was made carefully and every question I had was answered. Wonderful ladies and very, very considerate and gave me as much time as I needed.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 04 February 2016

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tor cross and Bickleigh wards

I would like to say a very very great THANK YOU. To all the staff no matter what rank, on both these wards, for the care and attention they gave me when I was in these wards after a TAVI proceedure. It was wonderful, thank you all

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Admissions and bed availability

I feel so sorry for the staff on the cardiology wards, trying to find beds. I think it is very very bad when you are waiting to go for your operation you see the anaesthetist and surgeon appear on the ward and comes to the day room to tell you if they find a bed for you after your operation it will go ahead, as the theatre is ready and they are waiting to do your operation. What is the trust doing about this. Seens like nothing to me no wonder they dont get good reviews. Try thinking about patients and staff. As to saving money. Cut their pay rises and give it to wards

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Simon gave Stroke services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I visited a patient on Burrator Ward

I was extremely impressed by all aspects of his care and the atmosphere of the ward and the concern of the staff

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 12 January 2016

Adrian Arnold gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very impressed

I had several departments to visit in one day,renal,ultra sound and blood test.I was very impressed by the efforts made in ensuring one procedure followed on closely to the other with very little waiting around.The staff were brilliant,friendly and caring and very professional.I could not have asked for better,they all deserve a medal.Only complaint is with parking,I am disabled and had a very long and difficult walk from car park to hospital.Can't be helped I know,but it really did make life difficult.Still,overall the hospital itself was brilliant.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 16 January 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not happy

I have currently been admitted in to hospital again for 3rd time in 1 week just to keep being sent home with no answers am now goin to be making a complaint

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Anonymous reviewed Derriford Hospital

I had my surgery in January 2016. On arriving at the unit I was extremely...

I had my surgery in January 2016. On arriving at the unit I was extremely nervous but all the staff were wonderful. Firstly I was taken through and told about my procedure by a nurse, and then the anaesthetist came through and explained the anaesthetic to me, the anaesthetist was very understanding and showed a very caring side. As I am needle phobic this helped even though when it came to being given the anaesthetic I was a jibbering wreck the anaesthetist helped to calm me down and enabled me to have the strength to go ahead with the procedure. When I awoke the nurse was on hand to help me through my recovery and explain my discharge. Nothing seemed too much trouble and you never felt rushed. I hope through this letter that you will pass on my thanks to the nurse and Dr as they helped a very nervous patient have a positive experience.
Grateful thanks!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Bashnelli reviewed Derriford Hospital

I had gone to have my 3 month date scan at st Richards hospital in Chichester. They couldn't see much on the belly scan so the member of staff told me to go and empty my bladder and they would do an internal one. Whilst I was in the toilet the member of staff said to my boyfriend it's bad news by the way.
I came back in none the wiser the member of staff did the internal scan and said your pregnancy has ended sorry about that like something had run out of stock. No sympathy or care. I then got taken to a private room and had to wait 45 minutes for a doctor to come. The doctor took me into a room where they basically just said so your pregnancy has ended here are your options and induced the miscarriage.
I must say it was an awful experience the doctor did not explain anything to me I had one lovely nurse come in who was helpful and sympathetic and looked quite shocked. I didn't get told any follow up information and a few days later I had to get an ambulance as I was bleeding so much this was in Devon and I got taken to Plymouth hospital.
The paramedics nurses and doctors couldn't have been nicer and more helpful and advised when back home to call the doctor and get an ultrasound.
The doctor I saw at Chichester had no sympathy, they were huffing and puffing getting annoyed because they couldn't take my blood. I called again today after I had been into a and e at the weekend where they advised I have an ultrasound to check it has cleared and the doctor told me I don't need to just To do a pregnancy test in 3 weeks and come back if it's still positive. The treatment I have received from st Richards is disgusting.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous reviewed Oncology - Medical at Derriford Hospital

Melanoma surgery cancelled

I went into Derriord today for a sentinel lymph node biopsy and more surgery to remove tissue from my face .Having left home at 8am .on our arrival we were told that the Freedom unit had "issues". These issues were in fact a lack of beds ,what a surprise !!, it is absolutely disgraceful after receiving the news in December I had Melanoma which sadly killed my brother twenty years ago. We were given this information by the consultant for which we were very grateful ,they were professional in every way and clearly was not responsible for this upsetting decision. I haven't taken the decision lightly to leave this review as it is not something I enjoy doing. I have complained to the hospital but doubt very much if it will make a difference, but surely a cancer patient should be given priority. It is dispicable in every sense of the word. I have noticed that the hospital hardly ever reply to reviews left on this page. It should be senior management who tell us why this is happening.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 28 January 2016