Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Ian McNeill reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Derriford Hospital

Endoscopy Reception

Phoned to change an appointment on 1 Sep 16. Rang both contact numbers non-stop between 1445 and 1600. Both constantly engaged. Finally got a ring tone around 1610 and let it ring only to be peremptorily answered 'The subscriber of this phone [who, the hospital?!] is busy right now. Ring back." Tried again at 1630. The phone rang out.. So much for a "Monday to Friday, 8.00 to 5.30 pm service."

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 01 September 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 14 September 2016

Dear Ian
Thank you for sharing the problems you encountered when trying to contact our Endoscopy team on the 1st September. I have asked the Clinical Admin Manager to look into this for you. As soon as I receive a response back, I'll update my response to you on this page. In the meantime if there is anything further you would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to email me directly to claire.jukes@nhs.net.
With best wishesClaire Jukes Patient Experience Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Wisdom Tooth Extraction Freedom Ward

I was referred to have 2 wisdom teeth out under general anaesthetic due to the fact that I am an extremely anxious patient. I anticipated a lengthy wait, and wasn't disappointed- but the waiting area was clean, warm with a TV, magazines, and a member of staff always available. I felt very comfortable and was made to feel reassured in all of the pre-op assessments. I was really well looked after by a team of young, but very professional individuals- who put me at ease though out. Thank you.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 09 September 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 15 September 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experiences of the care you recently experienced in our Freedom Day Case Unit. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was lovely to read your comments. I was really pleased to read you were made to feel comfortable and reassured throughout your treatment and well looked after by the team.
I will make sure a copy of your post is shared with the all of the team involved in your care, as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read the positive comments you said about them.
I do hope you are recovering well following your surgery.
Claire JukesPatient Experience Support Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Arthur Eastwood gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Back pain.

I was brought into A&E by a paramedic with severe back and upper leg pain. After the inevitable waiting time and triage I was examined by a doctor and admitted to the Clinical Decision Unit for observation and pain relief. The treatment I received there was exemplary. I am 67 yrs old and this was my first time in hospital but I was put at ease and given the best treatment possible. Whether medical staff or the staff member who kept me supplied with coffee, nothing was too much trouble. Everyone's heard the jokes about hospital food. During my short stay I had only 1 Breakfast, 1 Lunch & 1 Evening Meal and the food was wonderful. I cannot praise this unit highly enough.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 10 September 2016

Dear Arthur
Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experiences of the care you recently received in our Emergency Department and Clinical Decision Unit. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was lovely to read your comments. I was really pleased to read you received the best treatment possible.
I will make sure a copy of your post is shared with the all of the teams involved in your care, as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read the positive comments you said about them.
I hope your back is recovering well.
Patient Experience Support Manager

Patient Opinion Logo

Vivh gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency department

I had to visit today as I was having heart palpitations, everyone from reception to triage nurse to the doctor was extremely kind, caring, thorough and made a very frightening experience much less so

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 10 September 2016

Dear Vivh
Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experiences of the care you recently received in our Emergency Department. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was lovely to read your positive comments.
I will make sure a copy of your post is shared with the team involved in your care, as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read the positive comments you said about them.
I hope you are recovering well.
Patient Experience Support Manager

Hazel rule gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Vp shunt procedure on Moorgate ward

My very precious husband was admitted to Moorgate ward last Thursday for a vp shunt procedure From the time we entered the ward we were both treated with kindness ,dignity & the utmost respect. I cannot praise all the staff more highly. The h.c.a staff were terrific . The nurses and all the others kept us informed at all times & were friendly & helpful.Also the ancillary staff kept the ward spotless & always had a smile & friendly chat with all the patients .thankyou you all so much

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 06 September 2016

Chris Jackson gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My sincere thanks

I was admitted to Derriford on Thursday 8th Sept for heart ablation. I have included this information so as to highlight my case as reviews are not allowed to identify individuals. The staff on Cal ward were fantastic and processed me quickly. I was then operated on and moved to Buckley ward. Again, during preoperative treatment through to recovery and release the next day the care was first class. Doctors, nursing staff, ancillary and cleaners were very professional and caring.As you can imagine having your heart operated on Will tend to make a person anxious but I put myself in their hands and left them to do the worrying. Having been through this experience and seeing how the hospital staff have to juggle limited resources with a growing demand I am full of admiration for them all. There needs to be a sea change with regard to the growth of more housing development and the lack of change of the infrastructure that needs to support this increase of population. The developers should be forced to contribute to the services needed. Once again thank you to all of the staff that cared for me during this worrying time. Chris Jackson.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 11 September 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 September 2016

Dear Chris
Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your experiences of the care you recently experienced on FAL and Bickleigh Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was really nice to read your kind words.
I will make sure a copy of your post is shared with the teams involved in your care, as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read the positive comments you said about them.
I hope you are recovering well.
Claire JukesPatient Experience Support Manager

JohnG gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

As good as it gets

Spent 4 days on Bickleigh last week and I'm immensely grateful for the attentive, friendly care rec'd. Top notch cardio consultants, brilliant nursing team, kind and efficient care staff. The food was good too - and having free WiFi was great, particularly if you can't do much else. If you can't be at home for medical reasons, I'd be happy to be here again. Many thanks.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 19 September 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 20 September 2016

Dear JohnG
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the care you received from the team on Bickleigh Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with the teams involved in your care. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope you are recovering well at home.
Patient Services Support Manager

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Car parking jobs worths

I had to rush into Maternity unit as it was believed my partner was going into birth. There was no spaces in maternity car park or multistory so had to temporarily park in the TAPS spaces so I could drop her in. When I came back I was greeted with a member of staff in a high viz jacket who looked like it was their first job which who told me to move or I will get a ticket and I'm to do it now!!! When explained I had just dropped my partner in the maternity entrance the car parks where full the member of staff rolled their eyes and replied "Yea if you say so mateeee". So I moved the car to the other side of derriford and on return I asked their name to which they gave it and said why do you want that for mate?!?. Firstly I'm not your mate and I need it so I can take the matter further and the member of staff replied yeah good luck with that mate and laughed!!!! Discusting!!!!

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Broken wrist at A&E

I'd like to thank everyone at Derriford A&E for the help and care given to me over two days because of my broken wrist. Everyone I met was kind, professional and provided quality care. You do a fantastic job and I really appreciate what you did for me and every other person in a timely and dignified manner.

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

John Harris gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Our great NHS

Having been taken ill with urinary retention on a boat in Salcombe estuary I phoned 999 on my mobile and told the ambulance service of my dilemma they immediately despatched an ambulance to the harbour office and picked me up 3/4 hour later in pain the ambulance crew were very attentive and gave me gas and air to reduce the pain level and delivered me to A&E at Derriford where a well oiled machine swung into action and within 1/4 hour I had a catheter and within 5 minutes was pain free. I can honestly say that the 3 people who attended me were efficient quick concerned and dealt with my whole stay in the hospital in a very pleasant manner. In the media there have been many reports of inefficiencies and bad service within the NHS and also reports that after the age of 70 you are not treated within the same speed or the same manner as younger people, at 76 it can be said I fall into the older category but there was no evidence of ageism in my treatment at all and I don't wonder at the way the British people have earned the reputation for winging unnecessarily. My experience of our great NHS was as close to perfect as it could be and I think a little encouragement from the public would do wonders for staff morale.

Visited in September 2016. Posted on 21 September 2016