Derriford Hospital

Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Stroke while on Holiday

My mother took ill whilst visiting in Plymouth, the emergency response was fast and efficient as were the paramedics and ambulance staff who were extremely kind and caring and knowledgeable. The emergency room staff were excellent, the Royal Navy Medics were very caring and professional and constantly monitored my mother's condition.
Transferred to the stroke ward where she was well looked after both medically and personally for a week. All staff were kind, friendly, helpful and caring and my mother and us as a family felt completely comfortable and confident in their care.
My Mother received exemplary treatment from the onset of her stroke and quick response from the ambulance team and onwards to admission to Derriford hospital and eventual discharge.
The consultant and doctors from the stroke unit were wonderful as were the nurses and health care assistants who all delivered medical care of the highest quality. The services, care and facilities at Derriford hospital are second to none.
Thanks to all staff at the hospital, my mother is recovering and making good progress.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 05 June 2015

Roy Cook reviewed Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital

Soaking wet in ED department

On the 1/6/2015 I collapsed on way home from already been discharged from the ED department,the weather was terrible with very heavy rain.By the time I was picked up by the ambulance & arrived at Derriford hospital I was soaked through to my underwear.
After not been seen by anyone for about 45 mins & being left by the doctors station I asked when I would be placed in a cubicle,after another 15 mins & feeling very wet & shivering from the cold,I asked a doctor for help & if I was able to stand then their was a not wrong with me & if I didn't like it I was free to leave.
I was so cold & wet & worried about getting pneumonia for the second time in a year & just getting over heart surgery that the safest place for me even though I had a head wound & had collapsed was at home.
When I got home I told my wife never allow me to go to Derriford hospital ever again.The doctors I saw are so arrogant they have know compassion.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 June 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A&E Can not make appointments happen in other areas

I presented to A&E with intestinal stabbing pains. Diagnosed as a missed GP issue. Having had serious stomach issues since January thought they might have been slightly more interested. Top dog dismissed me to the same GP that did not push through my referral ever to a Derriford consultant (waited over two months) No further ahead and feel very let down by all of the NHS in totality. I do still feel do not want to down rate the nursing care provided. That was real excellence and a credit to themselves.

Did appear to be no real co-ordination between collected Nursing facts and Doctors.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 June 2015

Ane74 reviewed Derriford Hospital

All staff were professional and cheerful

Doing the dishes after preparing tea I started to feel a bit strange. I started to itch and my finger felt like it had been stung or glass in it. Having had reactions before I know the signs.
I took a antihistamine and started taking note of the time. My throat then started to swell and sounding horse when I spoke. Being on my own besides my dogs thought it was best to dial 999. While on the phone I took my epi pen while waiting for the ambulance I put my dogs away and opened the door. This was my first bad allergic reaction being on my own.
The paramedic car and ambulance crew were fantastic, they put me at ease. I can not thank the crew enough, they explained everything to me and the trainee they had with them. I was taken to a very busy A&E and again the crew were fantastic waiting till I had been handed over.
A&E was very busy and I had to stay by the desk as their was no cubicle but the staff were amazing and still made sure my dignity was kept, taking me into a cubicle for a ecg. I was kept in to be watched for 4 hours then released to the lounge to await meds and final checks.
For a overstretched NHS service Plymouth Derriford Hospital did a amazing job that day. All staff were profesional and cheerful in a stressful overcrowded A&E

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

professional staffing

My wife was admitted to Derriford through the Accident and Emergency department with a (GP) doctors letter at approx. 7PM.
We were seen within a reasonable time and triaged, (that is, by a senior nurse) where the other two people were who should have made up the Triage is a mystery, unless you count the always seemingly busy reception staff.
The waiting area (for treatment) was poorly ventilated and extremely stuffy. We waited here with boisterous inebriates knee to Knee. It was only when my wife was on the point of losing consciousness that a nurse intervened and took her to a cubicle where medical assessment began with a vigour and efficiency.
My wife was soon admitted into the urgent cubicles where she was further assessed etc.
At 9:30 we were still there: The Department was very busy and we became familiar with the staff "cry" of: "we are short staffed".
My wife sent me home, I have a heart condition, and she was later discovered by a staff nurse who said they were amazed to find her there and she should have been portered up to a ward on the 10th floor, so the Nurse wheeled my wife to the ward herself at 11:30PM
On the ward my wife heard the short staff complaint again, but evidence of Agency nurses were present.
My wife was moved to Wolf ward where short staffing existed Sunday PM/Monday AM
She asked to be unhooked from a machine so that she could go to the toilet, but like everyone else they could not perform that action it was some one else's job, the result was my wife was left to lay in her own excrement because it was change over time and no one was available to help her.
Decisions about her medical treatment were formed and changed several times by doctors who "were new" to the ward and thrown in at the deep end because it was the weekend, we suspect. On one occasion an argument took place between two senior members of staff new to the ward, one of whom wanted to prepare my wife for an operation which surprised my wife as she was not due for an operation: After reading the notes properly the nursed came back and apologised to my wife saying it was mistaken identity.
Weekend working at Derriford appears to be chaotic on the wards with many imported agency staff trying to cope with being thrown in at the deep end.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 15 June 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

James G gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent all round care

Thank you for all the care given to my little boy from start to finish of his stay. Through a&e, theatres and woodcock ward the care was second to none from all members of staff. Many thanks.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Happy Golfer gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E Waiting Times

Arrived at A&E with a wrist injury after being directed there by NHS111, who deemed minor injury unit not appropriate for my symptoms. As I am on holiday in the area I had no experience of Derriford but based on other A&E experiences I was anticipating a bit of a wait......not so!....amazed by my experience. In the space of 60 minutes I was registered at reception, triaged by nursing staff, X-ray taken, results and diagnosis made and discussed with me and discharged! The staff I engaged with per polite, helpful and at no point did I feel rushed.
I may just have been lucky today but I consider that when the NHS get it right we should say as much, so Derriford A&E thank you!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 16 June 2015

Kym gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Aftercare

After my septoplasty on 21st May I received a follow up appointment for 6th July. 2days after getting the letter I got a call saying this had been changed to 3rd June. Today. No one knew why it was changed. So today I sat in front of a doctor who thought I'd had my surgery 6weeks ago & showed surprise when I explained it was 2weeks ago. All seemed well with the examination that followed & they told me to keep using the nasal wash. What nasal wash? I hadn't been given anything other than antibiotics when I left the ward. The doctor was supposed at this too. They went & got a leaflet showing what I needed& said Boots would have it. It's not available on prescription so it's cost me £16.99.Had to order it so will finally get what I should have been using for 2weeks tomorrow. Still, lucky the July appointment was changed or I would never have know. Every cloud eh?

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 03 June 2015

David Cragg gave Urology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

TURP procedure

The attention given by all Staff from surgeons to nursing and support staff was excellent. The procedure was explained in detail outlinng benefits and risks again on the day of admission. Close care by nursing staff was provided during recovery. The ward Team worked well together and were all approachable and supportive. Monitoring was continuous and personalised. This gave me confidence and encouragement.
The provision of a free bedside BT landline connection was much appreciated
Many thanks to all working on Braunton Ward.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 05 June 2015

Lesley Lamley gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Caring, helpful, clean, efficient and friendly

In my opinion all the staff including housekeeping were efficient and committed. They proved to me that Hospitals are clean and as long as the patient helps in adhering to the general day to day routines it can remain that way. I was on lynher ward and shaugh ward for 10 days and everyone made me feel welcome and very looked after. I enjoyed the food and the staff were friendly. The only thing I felt was they are under-staffed but they all muck in looking out for each other.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 23 June 2015