Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Iain gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

BIG THANK YOU TO ALL

Dear All,
I was brought into Derriford Hospital A & E about 6:30 am on Sat 11 Feb with a suspected Heart Attack and I was seen to almost immediately. No corridor for me but straight into my own cubicle for all the appropriate tests. Eventually I was taken to the Medical Assessment Ward in Thrushel Ward where I was given more checks. Thankfully I was released at 4:0pm for my wife to take me home and I have been fine since.
I should like to take this opportunity to thank you all; the Ambulance people, the A & E staff, and the staff in Thrushel Wards for looking after me so well (sorry I can’t remember all your names). I seemed to leave in a bit of a rush and did not have time to thank you all personally. You all, and I mean all, from Doctors to tea person, all did a wonderful job. It might just have been another job, another day to you but to me it was my life and I am very grateful to each and everyone of you. I know the NHS gets a bit of “flak” sometimes but as far as I am concerned you all did a 100% job in a friendly and comforting way and if everyone did their job as good as you the world would be a much better place. Once again many, many thanks,
Yours gratefully,
Iain Sainsbury.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 12 February 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

David kelley gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

full teeth extraction

Staff was all polite and very helpful before and after op many thanks for making it a comfortable experience

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Julie gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent experience

i had a tough time of it - failed induction, sepsis during labour, failed epidural, episiotomy, forceps, heavy blood loss..., however all the way through it was explained what was happening and i felt in control. Midwives on delivery suite were compassionate and friendly and i felt very safe. The doctors were all lovely too and very efficient and when things started to get a bit scary with my baby being distressed and me bleeding heavily etc they took charge quickly to get my little boy delivered safely. Afterwards we needed a few days of treatment on transitional care ward - nursery nurses and midwifes there were lovely also and really helpful - they couldnt do enough for me. I owe them a great deal for helping me and my son learn to breastfeed those few days which proved to be more difficult than expected!! Apart from a silly rule about havingbto leave my baby at mealtimes to eat in the dining room (rather than at my bed) i was really happy with all the care I experienced at Derriford.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 February 2017

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on the birth of your son.

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to feedback about your experience in the Maternity Department. I am delighted to see that your was so positive and please rest assured your kind comments will be shared with the team.

We are just undertaking a review of the visiting hours within maternity; prompted by your feedback we will encompass reviewing mealtimes on the Transitional Care Ward at the same time.

Once again, thank you

Sue Wilkins
Director of Midwifery/ Assoc Director of Nursing
01752 (4) 32092

Debbie gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

I recently had a planned operation and can honestly say I had the best care from coming in to discharge, I saw my surgeon about twice a day who kept checking on me, the recovery staff were brilliant, all staff and doctors gave me the best care

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 16 February 2017

Blind Johnny reviewed Derriford Hospital

My doctor referred me to REI in September. I was advised to take an appointment

My doctor referred me to REI in September. I was advised to take an appointment at the Peninsula Medical Centre as it would be quicker, the consultant there advised me that an operation was necessary but they couldn't do it so they referred me to the consultant at Derriford in November which was cancelled the week before the appointment; I finally got to see the consultant two months later in January, had my pre op assessment in February; now appointments are telling me that I've only been on the waiting list for five weeks, when on your main page it states Waiting Time starts from you doctor's referral. If this is the case I have now been waiting for five months and don't even have a date yet for my operation.

Visited in February 2017. Posted on 17 February 2017 using Patient Opinion

Alan R gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding skills and care in Cardiothoracic Surgery & ICU

I was admitted for major heart surgery and kept in for 6 days. The surgeon was not only excellent but did much to alleviate my fears prior to the operation. Their after-care was exemplary too, even reply to my emails long after I was discharged from a successful operation. The team were all good, the anaesthetist also visiting me the day before the operation to explain what would happen. I felt very safe. I was in Intensive care for 36 to 48 hours, unconscious all this time, but my wife was there and told me later of the outstanding care given by the nurse who is a specialist ICU nurse who clearly went the extra mile in taking care of both me and my wife. By the time I came around and was moved to the High Dependancy Unit I was told all about the excellent care I received from them. I was delighted when the following day the nurse came to visit me in the HDU and I was able to shake them by the hand and thank them personally. These stars do not always get the credit they deserve.
I have never experienced such major surgery before and was very anxious about it. However, the surgeon and their team, along with the nurses in Clearbrook Ward made me feel far more relaxed and safe. I cannot thank the expertise of the surgeon and operating team enough. I highly recommend this department to anyone considering heart operations.
Thank you.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 15 February 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Chrissie gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

Having suffered a heavy fall on a pavement I took a taxi to A & E as I knew I'd done something to my wrist. I was fortunate in that there weren't many people in the department so I was triaged quickly, offered pain relief and x-rayed. I was shown the x-rays which revealed a couple of cracks and my wrist was put in a plaster cast and sling. All the staff were friendly, caring and professional. Thank goodness there's an NHS.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 05 February 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

hogwarter gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A and E

I was in A and E with my dad after he was picked up by ambulance from home by request of his GP. I cannot fault the care and professionalism of the staff, at every level. I was shocked to see paramedics queuing out of the door trying to get people in, making real the reports on the news. The staff were working non stop in a difficult situation and were amazing. My only concern and observation was that procedures were delayed because of equipment. Having to hunt for a thermometer and an ECG machine not working. Personally I think the staff deserve better and solvable problems like this would possibly aide their care. I can't fault any of them and thank them for their commitment in a tough role.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 13 January 2017

Good afternoon
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experiences of the good care and professionalism given to your dad from our Emergency Department. As we make every effort to provide the highest standards of care and treatment at all times it was lovely to read your praise about our staff. In terms of the issues you witnessed with our equipment, I have forwarded on your concerns to our Matron for ED to investigate.

Libby gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Incredible care, thank you

On our way home from Derriford having spent the last 24 hours receiving care for my poorly 10 month old daughter from your amazing teams of staff. Thank you so much to everyone who saw us in ED, X-Ray West, CAU and Woodcock Ward, we felt so safe and attended to. Every single member of staff we encountered took their time to ensure we were listened to and my daughter received the best unriahed care, even though it was obvious that all departments were flat out busy. You all made a scary experience much less so and I could not be more grateful. Thank you again.

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 04 January 2017

Dear Libby
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the recent care your daughter received from our Emergency Department, X-Ray West, CAU and Woodcock Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the teams involved in her treatment and care as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope your daughter is feeling much better and recovering well at home.

Patient Opinion Logo

Terri Walker gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ED visit

I had to attend the ED yesterday after a sporting injury, I was dealt with promptly and professionally by the amazing staff I met. I was surprised that I was in and out within 2hrs, much quicker than I have experienced in the past at another hospital years ago. Many Thanks

Visited in January 2017. Posted on 07 January 2017

Dear Terri
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of the care you received from our Emergency Department following your sporting injury. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with all the team in ED as comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your them.
I was pleased to read you were seen so quickly and allowed home, I hope you are recovering well at home.