Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Michael Stevens gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E Excellence

I attended A&E with some heart fluttering problems. I was seen very quickly and dealt with in a very professional manner all the way through. Everyone was very caring and put me at ease. Waiting for a last blood test, seemed like ages but is a medical thing and out of even staff control. I rate the service I received as very high. All of the staff in A&E are a total credit to Derriford and the trust. What was very reassuring is that people were also checked on by staff members whilst waiting in the lounge for results.

Excellence through a scary process was my own personal experience.

Thank-you.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 10 December 2014

vikkilou reviewed Plastic surgery at Derriford Hospital

number not a person

Disgusting treatment by consultants. Wasn't informed about any of MY care. Discussed my private history in front of patients. Had no people skills whatsoever. Left the hospital for the 5th time in 6days in tears AGAIN. I could go on and on about the way i was treated. Just a number not a person. Wouldn't dream of letting this hospital ever care for my loved ones

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 11 December 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Long wait for pre-booked bed

I went for an investigation, requiring an overnight stay on PIU. On the day ward the investigation was completed, and I was got out of bed (they needed space for more patients coming through), dressed and dumped in a chair by 11am. I had no pain relief even though biopsies had been taken internally making it painful to sit up. All I kept being offered by the nice staff who felt impotent was tea and biscuits.

By 12.30 I asked when I would be moving onto the ward, as I was looking to lie down to relieve the discomfort. I was told PIU had told them not to ring them before 3pm (even though it was known I was having the investigation early in the day) regarding the bed. I waited until 3.15pm, and asked the nurses the situation, and was told the bed manager was in a meeting which they weren't sure what time she would be free to ask when the bed would be ready. They then informed me a patient in the same situation the previous weeks had had to wait until 8.30pm for their bed!

After having sat in pain for four hours, with a further potential six hour wait ahead of me I self-discharged against advice. There was no way I could bear to sit in that chair any longer. The only transport I could get home (hospital car was booked for next day and the office was closed so I couldn't change it by this time) was a taxi. Given I live an hours drive from the hospital it cost me £50 to escape. The nurses were concerned that I might become ill overnight, and asked me to go to A&E immediately. I pointed out I was an hour away so not able just to 'drop in' as they suggested should I feel ill.

I had to take a risk, going against medical advice because of the inhuman wait when they knew I was in pain and needed to lie down. I had to go home alone, with no help, and no option to return save by ambulance should I feel ill in the night because the ward did not have the bed which had been pre-booked available for over four hours. What's worse when the nurses called and informed them of my decision they didn't even apologise for the over four hour wait in pain I'd already endured.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 15 December 2014

Tiptoe gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The crucial care was excellent!

I broke my ankle on a walk. From the arrival of the air ambulance (in 15 minutes!) to the recovery period in the ward the care from and competence of the staff who dealt with me ~ the paramedics, A&E nurses, the anaesthetists, the surgeon, most of the ward staff ~ was excellent.
In the ward (Sharp), the daytime staff seemed, mostly, to be better than the night staff who were well meaning but occasionally clumsy,insensitive and often noisy.
Some of the junior staff could be officious and quick to chide patients ( who were 40 to 60 odd years older) for not doing as instructed rather than ask and listen why.
The discharge procedure was chaotic with, apparently, no one responsible for co-ordinating the various departments involved e.g. physiotherapy, pharmacy, transport etc. This led to me having to stay an extra night unnecessarily thereby "blocking" a much needed bed.
Finally, can I suggest that the management consult the medical staff (at all levels and especially the lower to middle ranks) on where improvements can be made. Some I have spoken to (at Treliske as well), troubled by the amount of waste, have valuable suggestions on where savings could be made. This would have the added benefit of making the staff feel valued too.
It is clear that the system is under great strain and relies heavily on the dedication of the heroic medical staff.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 16 December 2014

Manipulation of Waiting Times for CT Scans - Derriford

My GP requested a CT scan for me several weeks ago. I eventually received an appointment by post for a date in the middle of November that unfortunately I cannot attend. I phoned Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust (PHNT) to rearrange this appointment. I was shocked to discover that PHNT policy does not allow appointments for CT scans to be rearranged to the next future date/time when the patient can actually attend. PHNT policy dictates that patients who phone to cancel an appointment are returned to the very back of the waiting list to start waiting all over again! I therefore now have to wait until the end of December/January before I will be given another appointment for this CT scan. If I cannot make that appointment, then presumably the same thing will happen again.

This practice enables PHNT to manipulate its CT Scan waiting list figures to give the false impression that patients have not been waiting as long as they actually have been for a CT scan. This practice is clinically unsound, morally unacceptable and clearly puts patients at risk.

It is likely to now be some 3 months between my GP requesting a CT scan and it eventually being undertaken. Presumably the official waiting list record will only show my length of wait since I was returned to the back of the queue earlier today.

PHNT puts achievement of its waiting list targets before what is in the best interest of its patients. There is no comprehension at PHNT that patients who cannot attend a unilaterally made appointment that arrives in the post, may have co-morbidities and necessary appointments at other hospitals outside the area, or indeed have other perfectly valid reasons for non attendance. Patients should not be penalised for this. It should be possible for patients who cannot make an appointment for a CT scan to phone PHNT and to be offered the next available slot that they can attend, not be put to the very back of the queue to start waiting all over again, for another eight to twelve weeks. This appalling practice needs to be changed immediately!

I will use "Patient Choice" and ask my GP to refer me to an alternative hospital that puts patients first and has far better clinical outcomes than PHNT. I pity those patients who are unable to travel further afield to access high quality health care in alternative NHS hospitals.

The member of staff who took my call was very polite and understanding. I have no personal complaint against them, they simply have to carry out the management policies of this wholly dysfunctional organisation.

It is hardly surprising PHNT has such long waits for CT Scans when it still only offers appointments at certain times Monday - Friday. It is not acceptable to all the patients waiting for their CT scans to be told that they will be moving to a 7 day service in 2015. This change of practice needs to happen with immediate effect!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Please would you be kind enough to contact the Imaging Support Manager, Mr Mark Walker on 01752 439225, so he can talk through your concerns with you.

Care on Crown Ward

My mother is currently an inpatient on Crown Ward. The first issue is around obtaining a response from the switchboard which granted only took me 30 minutes this morning but took my sister 3.5 hours yesterday. The 'phone rings and rings until it is automatically cut off.

My mother had a routine endoscopy on Thursday where her oesphagus appears to have been perforated. I don't have an issue with this however depriving an 80 year old of any fluid for 24 hours is an issue (no oral fluids no IVI), and suggests the Liverpool Pathway without consultation. I understand she collapsed whilst in Radiology yesterday but no bloods were taken until today and indeed despite a persistant problem with anaemia this appears to be the first time since her admission that her FBC was taken. Of course anaemia is an issue with a persistant oesphageal stricture.

I am hopeful that she may survive this episode despite Derriford's input.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 09 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Martin Guthrie gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Surgery on L4/L5 discs. Shannon ward, level 11 after care.

What I liked

After a long and painful year i eventually got a call on the 11th Nov 2014 to say they had a cancellation on the 12th of Nov, would I like to take it, No brainer, was there at 7am, Looked after very well, had the surgeon and his team visit me at 8 am to explain what would take place, was 1st on the list, was taken to pre-op at 08-45 where my operating bed was being warmed up with a hot air blower, once again everything was explained thoroughly, , Op went very well, all the trapped nerves were released and a section of L5 disc removed as it was damaged beyond repair. I was transferred to level 11 onto Shannon ward once i had come round from the op and Ketamine injections to control the pain, the ward was spotless, all the staff were Excellent, very caring, nothing was to much trouble, If i had to search for any negatives it would be i got a little cold through the night but the nurse just got me 2 extra blankets within a couple of minutes of saying i was cold, Food was good even though i had no appetite it was there if i wanted, The day after the Op, my Surgeon came to see me at 8AM, the doctor and surgical staff at 08-30AM and the physio at 9AM, all were happy for me to go home after lunch, The worst part was the 1 and a half hour journey home to Cornwall, I cannot praise Derriford hospital and the staff who looked after me highly enough, I hope this helps anyone who is facing surgery. Excellent Care!!!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 14 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

It is very kind of you to share your experiences with NHS Choices.
Hopefully your comments will give some reassurance so anyone coming into Derriford hospital.
I hope you are continuing to recover well

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best care in the country

well I have been to this hospital 3 times now and wow what can I say what a difference to Treliske hospital staff are so friendly and treat you with respect. Norfolk ward is such a wonderful place to be when you are unwell as all the staff make u feel better. They even helped my partner get home after I found out I was staying in that night. All in all Derriford hospital is the best hospital around thank you derridord for looking after me from A&E to Norfolk ward.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with NHS Choices.
I will forward on your kind words to A & E and Norfolk Ward.
best wishes

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hate this place

I was in a few weeks ago, staff (permanent & agency) got my medication wrong repeatedly, at one point overdosing me causing a bad reaction. Agency nurses rude to patients, lazy, uncaring. Saw them refuse to help patients and claim to senior staff to have flushed drains when they hadn't, repeatedly disconnect a drip that was to be left for 24 hours untouched, then reconnect it risking infection to patient (I heard senior staff telling them why it was to be left but saw the repeated disconnections to make their life easier). Lady next to me unable to get out of bed after serious surgery not washed or bed changed daily unless her mother (a nurse) came in and kicked up a fuss. They claimed at 8.30pm (at night) they were 'just about' to change her bed and wash her for that day. Staff member falsified a reading on my obs sheet so she didn't have to take action, which I did report. Also failed to give me meds on first meds round of day because she was upset I politely pointed out a mistake in my meds the evening before. Are some very good nurses, but they are swamped so unable to give care they would want to. We had patients making own beds, patients caring for patients unable to get about and a man repeatedly gained access to the ladies ward thinking he was in Narnia. Mainly the staff caught him, but not at 1am when the patients had to get him out.

Now I'm due another operation, saw GP 2nd september, they did referral next day. Told I'll be lucky to get in January, despite 18 weeks elapsing 7th Jan. To date I have not received any treatment or help in managing. I've been off work since April with the condition in the other hand, took over 4 months to get study done to show need for surgery, then wait to see consultant etc. I am on zero pay from work, I cannot work without my hands. None of them seem to care, or the fact I've been off since April waiting for treatment gives no priority. They can't even meet the 18 weeks. Then I'm told all they'll get is a fine. I can't earn a living because of their excessive waiting lists! Trouble is if I give up and go elsewhere I'll be back of the queue again. Maybe if they didn't spend so much time in private practice over the road there may be more spaces.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

fantastic care from surgeon to tea ladies

What I liked

I came to looe bay from kent for a weekend away with my 2 boys and friends on the 24th oct and ended up being rushed to hospital by ambulance on the following night due to tummy pains.
They wasnt sure if I had trouble with my bowls so went to bowl ward who then sent me for a scan to find I had blood in my tummy, I was then sent to Norfolk ward who had to call 2 surgeon s in on their day off who then found that my tubes & ovary was bleeding into my tummy which is very rare, went down for op to remove the problem.
iwouldjust like to thank all the staff from the ambulance team to the tea ladies for looking after me so well :)
The ambulance crew even came and checked on me in a&e after they had been on a different call out.

Regards christie brown

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 November 2014

Dear Mrs Brown,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with NHS Choices, I am so glad to hear everything went well for you.
I hope you are continuing to recover well