Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Alistair Lawson gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fabulous People

My son is currently an in patient on Moorgate Ward having had surgery on an abscess on his brain.
I cannot speak highly enough of the staff. Without exception - doctors, nursing staff and support staff - all have been brilliant. Professional, engaged, enthusiastic, knowledgable, compassionate .... my list could go on.
Thank you for caring for my precious son.
Alistair

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 15 June 2016

Anonymous gave Urology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

happy

Although the wait was long dragged and I was starving my nut off as I couldn't eat before my minor day operation, the hostpital makes you feel welcome and the staff were incredibly friendly. They respected you and we're easy to talk to which talk the pressure off of being sedated. The next thing, I wake up to the ease of the staff's presence. They got me out of the hostpital quickly but appropriatlely which made the long wait at the start a little easier to deal with. At the end of the day the nhs can only provide the service they do with the money they are given. Many thanks to the people who worked on me.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Theresa Mitchell gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Midwifery services at Derriford Hospital.

My daughter gave birth to a healthy baby girl on the 19th June 2016
I was privaledged to have the opportunity to be present during her labour and throughout the birth of my grandaughter.
I cannot praise the service enough for their professionalism and including my daughter in decision making. Furthermore they provided the appropriate information to enable her to make an informed decision.
The midwife and student midwife's knowledge and expertise were very impressive. Above all they were empathetic and compassionate.
We were also well informed of the process in theatre by the doctor who really did listen to concerns and explained everything thoroughly. Providing us with options.
The anaethatist was also very informative and kind. I truly cannot fault any of the staff present in the theatre.
Finally the staff on Argyle ward were friendly and welcoming. The health care assistant demonstrated how to breast feed and the information and encouragement will ensure my daughter perseveres with this.
A huge thank you to all of the staff involved you are a credit to the NHS and the specialities you represent.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 22 June 2016

Anonymous reviewed Neurology at Derriford Hospital

Terrible treatment by a neurology consultant

After being taken into hospital as an emergency I cannot fault the paramedics and the team that took care of me in the emergency department, they treated me with respect, care and compassion and very quickly. I have nothing but praise for the very overstretched but professional
Nurse in MAU and the lovely nurse on Braunton ward. However Derriford you were splendidly let down by your neurology consultant who felt it in their remit to undermine patients, make them feel they were wasting time and it was ok to be rude and arrogant,had no desire to help or even listen to the patients needs. The only concern was to get them out the bed.
Not to mention the fact how they felt the need to speak to a nurse so badly and make them feel so terribly small, when they were doing their job 'helping the patient'
Maybe just maybe if the consultant took a leaf out of the nurses book, it would make them a better person in getneral, not only did it make myself feel uncomfortable but also that if their 3 junior colleagues who stood round my bed with their heads bowed.
Shame on you Dr!
After such an unpleasant experience and meeting such a vile dr, I now worry that I have to have any more to do with such an unpleasant person and I worry for any future patients.
I hope the complaint that has been put in against them holds up and they reflect on their practice .

Well done to the rest of the professional who looked after me.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 24 June 2016

lesley ogden gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

neurology dept moorgate ward

I wish to praise the respect, caring, friendliness and support I encountered from all staff when my grandson who suffers from severe brain damage was admitted to.moorgate ward. Staff were polite, treated my grandson and myself extremely well at all times during our stay.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 25 June 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Peter Moate gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

huge thank you

I attended A&E on 9th June with a suspected TIA. I was seen within minutes of arriving, the triage nurse arranged for an immediate assessment by the specialist stroke team. The staff were truly professional and caring. My sincere thanks to the whole team.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 20 June 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Janise Philp gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E Wednesday 25th May 2016

I had an accident at home and was admitted to A & E for assessment and X-Rays.

From the paramedics to the hotel porters I received nothing but friendly, professional and kind service. The department was extremely busy but I never once felt neglected.

A big thank you to everyone on duty from five to eleven o'clock yesterday.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 26 May 2016

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Maternity

My daughter in-law who is expecting her forth baby phoned me today extremely distressed following an ante natal check-up. Slim and in good health my daughter in-law neither drinks nor smokes. Her first baby was delivered with no problems, the second was rather large and got stuck, this was largely due to the fact that my daughter in-law had opted for a water birth and it was difficult for the midwives to see what was going on. Result was a healthy son who did not need any intervention and was not admitted to SCBU. Baby three was born naturally, with no problems but was diagnosed with a broken collar bone following her birth; no explanation was ever given, although some medical staff had raised issues of things not being done properly. Again no SCBU.
Today my daughter in-law goes for a normal consultant check-up, she is told that she will need a C Section and a sterilisation following!! My daughter in-law said she’d had three natural births and did not see the need for a C Section. She was the told by the consultant that she would be putting her unborn child at risk if she did not have a C Section! She was also told that the consultant had decided that her second delivery was an extreme shoulder displacement, which it was not; if it were he would have been in serious trouble but was delivered naturally and had a good Apgar score.
I am in London and have a good relationship with my daughter in-law, I told her this consultant was talking rubbish, since when does a consultant decide that an individual should be sterilised? I told my daughter in-law that she did not have to consent to a C Section, especially as there is no evidence that she would need one. This consultant left my daughter in-law in tears, belittled her and worse made her feel that she was putting her unborn child at risk! Shame on you. Here in London my daughter gave birth naturally after the horrendous birth of her son, she was fully supported and her fears were calmed and all medical expertise was on standby. Three of her four children have been in SCBU and nothing was said to her at putting her child’s life at risk. Next time I shall come down from London to be with my daughter in-law to support her. What a dreadful experience.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 18 May 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

EileenCJ gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A special level of care and compassion in the ED

I was treated with exemplary kindness and compassion by exceptional staff when I attended the ED in the small hours having become short of breath. A 30mile car journey made it all the more frightening. We were greeted by a warm and competent receptionist who alerted the triage nurse whose lovely manner allayed anxiety. The nurses and A&E doctors together with the radiographer and ENT specialist examined and investigated as necessary. I was allowed home with treatment in the care of my friends but with instructions to return if the symptoms worsened.
The treatment I received was wonderful.This unit is a jewel in your crown. Please pass on my warmest thanks to all concerned. They made a huge difference to someone who has had experiences in the health service about which I could not be so glowing.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 07 May 2016

Neal gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

VAT Surgery Crownhill Ward.

I have to say that it was with some apprehension that I agreed to have investigative surgery for pleural problems but at the end of the day it's not just about you if you have a family.
I would have been quite happy to kick the can down the road and wait for something to fall off!
The treatment that I received from all staff both physically and moral support was nothing short of 5 star .

Met some great 'same boat' guys there too.

So a big thank you to everyone at Crownhill ward and however much you pay your staff, it's not enough

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 08 May 2016