Derriford Hospital

Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ThankYou

Thank you to all the nursing and medical staff on Erme/Fal recovery and Post bridge wards for all the wonderful care I received.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 09 April 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

I hope you are continuing to recover well from your recent procedure.

Thank you for advising us on NHS Choices of the wonderful care that you received whilst attending Fal/Erme and Postbridge.

I will ensure your lovely comments are passed onto the department manager.

With best wishes

TW gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

unexpected stay

I went in as a day case (OBS/Gynae) but a 50% risk of a small complication arose and I spent longer in theatre and subsequently 4 days on Norfolk ward. The staff were amazing! Gentle, kind, considerate and very professional in their care despite it being a very busy ward with lots of fairly seriously ill patients. Can't thank my consultant, the surgeon who repaired me, the nursing staff, hcas, serco staff enough. And the kind anaesthetist who phoned my husband to explain why I wasn't yet out of theatre.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 13 April 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

Thank you for taking the time to comment on NHS Choices website.

I am so please to hear that you had such a good experience with Norfolk ward where you felt the staff was amazing following your unexpected stay.

I will ensure that your kind comments are feedback to the department.

Wishing you well with your continued recovery

Best wishes

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Same sex accommodation

I am currently an inpatient and in a 6-bed bay comprising of 2 males and 4 females. I am very uncomfortable with this as I have to walk past the male beds to get to my own. There's no point saying anything to the staff as there is no alternative plus they are so busy I doubt this would be top of their agenda.
Some staff are helpful but others, while providing good clinical care, have lost sight of the fact that the patient they are treating is a person. Nurses handover at the end of their shift by passing details to colleagues whilst standing at the foot of my bed. I have learnt more about what is happening to me by eavesdropping on these conversations than I would have know otherwise. Howe Dr I can also hear when they are at adjoining beds so a complete disregard for patient confidentiality..
The staff are quite vocal in their dissatisfaction at the understaffing on the ward. Tonight. For example, some patients were still not settled in their beds until gone 2300 due to the fact that the nurses were so busy as there were not enough staff on duty - this is at the detriment of the patients who are reliant on nursing assistance.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

Thank you for posting your comments on NHS Choices.

We can arrange for a member of our PALS team to come to the ward and discuss your concerns with you.

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net.

The PALS team will take further information from you which will aid their investigation into your concerns.

Best wishes

Ali Pullan gave Respiratory Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care and Dedication from Chest Clinic

I have been attending the clinic for 2 years now and attended again this morning for Oxygen Re-assessment. I am ashamed to say I can't remember the name of the lovely Sister/Nurse who saw me but I hadn't met them before. Once again I was treated with complete respect and compassion, and really felt that they cared. The nurse took time to really listen and answer my questions willingly. I cannot praise the Cardiac/Lung team at Derriford enough. They are without doubt the doing the very best they can with very little support from Government. When the Herald are writing their horror stories they would do well to visit this department and see what an incredible job they are doing. Thank you all, despite long term issues I actually look forward to my visits to this department!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 14 April 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices.

Whilst I appreciate it must be difficult attending the chest clinic regularly over such a long period of time, I am so pleased to hear that you feel that they are doing their best and you feel they have always treated you with respect and compassion.

I will pass on your gratitude to the department.

With best wishes

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

outdrsnding wards

After recently being induced I was admitted to argyll ward, staff were attentive to my needs and I felt I received high standard of care, once transfered to CDS I had 1-1 midwife care, my midwife was outstanding throughout my delivery along with all other staff who cared for me. I can't fault them in the safe delivery of my daughter.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Overview

The majority of paramedics were very sympathetic others had no clue of the effect of Borderline Personality Disorder and its symptoms and treated me inappropriately. This also was the case for the A & E department and the Clinical Decision Unit. The Psychiatric Liason team however bullied me and I have had to make a complaint. A & E does not have the mechanisms to assist me as part of my condition is anxiety, paranoia and rumination. Having to wait up to 8 hours to be seen by the psychiatric liason team worsens my condition as I am socially isolated and have a fear of being around people for more than 5-10 minutes. For myself, at a personal level with my condition I can no longer attend A & E in an emergency or be dragged up there by paramedics to be signposted back to the mental health team.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 28 April 2015

Terry Winter gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My Stay

I went into Derriford on Tusesday for a spinal neck operation, I got there at 0700hrs and was welcomed by a team of nurses and Doctors
They immediately made me feel that I was in the best possible place and that they were the best people to deal with my problem,
I was consulted although the final tests before the operation, The waiting room was large with a big TV bolted to the wall and various
books and magazines spread about. The place was spotless as where the loos ect,The staff were very busy with patients coming and going,
They were at all times cheerful and made time to sit and talk to you.I was the taken by the anithatist to the theatre were again it was explained
to me what was going to happen. they took great care in explaining what they were doing as they inserted various needles and thing into my hand,
All the time still reassuring me that every thing was going to be OK.I was asked to say my address I think I said 7 then woke up in the recovery room,
were again I has a dedicated nurse who stayed with me until I was fully aware of were I was and that I had had my op and It was a success.
I was then moved onto a special ward again with a nurse who was looking after 3 patients I was checked every hour on the hour by the nurse who was also
looking after the other 2 people.this carried on through the night, and never in the time I was there did I hear one word of complaint about how busy they were,
Again the ward and loos were spotless, they were proud of the service that they had given me and always had a smile and kind word. I think that our
nurses and Doctors are the best on the planet, and I would like you to thank them on my behalf.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

Marian gave Respiratory Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visiting Chest Clinic

I have been an in-patient and out patient for COPD for many years now and have never had a problem that could not be sorted out with a brief conversation. The out patient staff in the Chest Clinic are wonderful, cheerful, happy to help when ever they can. I find it hard to visit now as I am getting worse by the day but they could not do enough to help both me and my partner. If people have problems then talk to the staff, they listen and will do everything they can to help.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

chris twomey gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

hopeless

disgusted after the 3rd visit to a&e in exterme pain with abodominal case. I was told their was nothing wrong with me and to keep taking painkillers. The pain killers were not working. Would consider traveling out of town for future treatment.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 13 March 2015

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No follow up care

We had told all your staff that he could not cope at home, but because he wanted to go home and signed the paperwork he went home and now is back in your hospital. His consultant had told us he would not leave without a proper care package which has not materialised despite being on to his GP and other organisations he is now back with you in as bad condition as he went in before!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 21 March 2015