Derriford Hospital

Telephone: * 0845 155 8155
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

What's happened to communication and informing people

I arrived at A&E at 9.40 on 20/03/2014 by ambulance, was sent for an x-ray as I had fallen 3ft and landed on my leg and couldn't move , my knee was all shapes. The doctor said I'd caused a lot of damage to my knee, subsequently , l have been told it's a tibia plateau fracture and damaged tendons, and that he needed to consult a surgeon, the next minute at about there was a fuss as I was about to breach there time limit, and was told l would be seen in the fracture clinic, being given crutches I had no idea how to use and my knee put in brace, l got upset as I had no idea how to use crutches and how l would manage at home as there were steps to my home, I was showed briefly and sent on my way, they could see l couldn't use the crutches well was put in a wheelchair and left outside entrance waiting for my lift. Where was the compassion and care. Attended fracture clinic 24/03/2014 was told I needed a ct scan 3 weeks later haven't heard a thing and still trapped in my home. Asked PALS for help had a return call not heard anything for 12 days, fracture clinic gave numbers for scan, just answer machine, no one has had the decency to contact me to let me know what is going. Feeling very stressed and distressed and like a prisoner trapped in my home with no answers. Would be nice to here from someone at Derriford!

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 11 April 2014

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Orthopaedics

Having been admitted to Shaugh ward in may 2013, where I spent a week for major trauma, I was unimpressed by the majority of the staff on the ward, my wife had to help me wash the areas I couldn't reach on a daily basis when she came to visit as no help was offered, I was left with promise of cleaning materials for my hands after using the bedpan as I was bed bound... Only it never appeared...the kind tea lady seen to that when offering me a drink as I'd refused a drink, due to wanting to wash my hands. The surgeons & theatre staff were great, still seeing the surgeons now & the only issue now is the appointment system in orthopaedics.. I've never once had a letter l have had to phone & chase the last 3 appointments, which isn't easy when the person on the other end of the line is Unhelpful, rude, disinterested & clearly has no manners, empathy or personal communication skills. Get with the programme & be helpful, clinics always running 1-8 weeks later than scheduled, maybe you should be fined for running clinics so late!!

Visited in May 2013. Posted on 08 April 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

A&E

Probably the odd one out here, but after being admitted to A&E, I was treated with respect, and dignity during my time there.
The staff were very caring, and the doctor was excellent. He was patient, understanding, and took his time with me.
You only usually hear bad reviews, but sorry guys - this is a good one!
Thank you.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 07 April 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Matthew Burchell gave Respiratory Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

My Wife Died on Hexworthy

My Wife was treated as if she deserved her illness. She had been in and out of Derriford many times, but Hexworthy is by far the worst ward I have ever seen. She needed a drink and though I asked three times, no staff tried to help. If she was alone it would have taken a minimum of 2 1/2 hours before anyone cared, even after that time nobody checked on her. Excuses were given. Frankly I don't care if you're short staffed. Was that Her fault? Do I pay less attention to my loved ones? I'm sorry if we inconvenienced you. That's what it feels like, we're getting in the way of your little private social club. Shockingly bad and I will never forgive this horrific, careless hospital. Do as you will lawyers, I don't care anymore. You took my love away from me and I have nothing more to lose. I'm not posting anonymously. I want you to know who I am.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 05 April 2014

David B. Roberts gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

CT scan

I congratulate the staff of X-ray West Department, who gave me a CT scan, for their professional and sympathetic attitude throughout the procedure. I was told clearly what was going to happen and it did. After the procedure I was taken to a shower room which was spotless. and after my shower a tray of tea and biscuits was waiting for me before I went home. I could not have been treated better.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 03 April 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Dreadful lack of treatment at disfunctional A and E

After checking in at the A and E department shortly after 12.30 with a badly injured finger I was kept waiting in a chilly waiting room along with other patients before being transferred to another smaller,warmer waiting room, after an initial examination at approximately 2.30 by a doctor, my wound was cleaned and I was given an injection to deaden the area with the proviso that I would be seen within a quarter of an hour by a specialist who would repair the wound .
I was told to return to the waiting room and wait.
Two hours later, just after 4.30PM I was taken to the waiting room of a ward which was full of waiting patients,from the reaction of the staff nurse in charge it was obvious that that there was already a delay in their receiving treatment.
There were 6 patients,a noticeboard revealed that the first patient had been due to be seen before 3.00,at 6.00 he had still not been tended.
After repeated requests from anxious patients and carers the staff nurse on duty did try unsuccessfully to resolve the situation.
We were then told that the delay was caused by the non arrival of a plastic surgeon.
Later,some time after 6.00 when a surgeon did arrive a request was made that due to the number of patients, plus the length of time that they had been been waiting, another surgeons assistance would help to clear the back log, this was ignored.
At this point 6.50, 6 hours or so after first arriving,I left the hospital without receiving treatment.
I was tired,hungry,thirsty and disenchanted at not only the lack of urgency but also the total lack of explanation or information given throughout the day.

Why were patients taken to a ward when it was obvious that there was no plastic surgeon willing to carry out their treatment?

Why was there no response to the appeal for assistance from the ward staff nurse when it became obvious that patients were in distress ?

I found this to be a totally unacceptable experience for not only me, but also for other vulnerable patients who needed of care and attention .

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 25 March 2014

Kelvin Kellond reviewed Cardiology at Derriford Hospital

Still using an 0845 number

Despite Cabinet guidance of Dec 2013 that :- "It's inappropriate for callers to pay substantial charges for accessing core public services, particularly for vulnerable and low income groups." we see that Derriford continues to use an 0845 number.

And according to the footnote at the bottom of this page you also state:- "Sorry, we have been unable to determine the costs of calls made to numbers starting in 0845 1558 at this time."

What is your policy regarding the use of 0845 numbers?

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 25 March 2014

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

rough treatment of frail elderly lady

My mother received an ultrasound heart scan on 18 march which was so rough it left her frail skin bleeding. She is nearly 93 and the person pressed so hard on her she came out in tears. Where is the care and compassion?

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 19 March 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Shane88 gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

My daughter

I am disgusted with this hospital. Firstly my daughter, who is four years old, has been back and forth from this place in the last 7weeks, as their doctors seem to be incapable of sorting out treatment for my daughter.
We have been told by so many different doctors, this could be wrong and I don’t think it’s that, yet they will not give us any conclusive evidence to state it is or it isn’t. I am appalled at the way we were treated by staff while staying in on the children’s ward, and how bad they were with the children.
We have also been on many occasions now to A&E who seem to help while you are there; little did we know the information would not be passed to the appropriate places. My partner rang the hospital nearly 32 times and not once did they answer the phone.
I have been to seek legal advice, as I feel we have been treated unfairly and left to our own devices.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 05 March 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Went to A&E with arm injury at the end of Octobber 2013. Signs displaying at least an hour's wait, wsas seen by triage nrse within 15 minutes, was thereafter x-rayed and diagnosed fairly speedily. Given painkillers and a dose of eramorph (?) which caused an allergic reaction. I passed out and again the 'system addressed the issue quickly. Was eventually provided with sling and advice on physio to manage a triple break at the humerous and follow up appointments made. I was very impressed with the nursing and other department gteams.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 03 March 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

* Sorry, we have been unable to determine the costs of calls made to numbers starting in 0845 1558 at this time.