Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Mike Mcauliffe gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

one year ago today

One year on since my Cardiac Arrest I am still in awe of the life saving treatment and aftercare that was given to me by every member of the staff, especially for the immediate CPR by my anethiasist, in Resuc to the nurses and Consultant doctors always at my side when i woke confused and scared and to the staff in Bickleigh Ward who were there 24/7 just to talk to and have comforting words. And not always mentioned the catering staff who were always cheerful and friendly on wards which werent the most cheerful of places. My love and graritude to you all.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 01 August 2017

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care

My Mother in law collapsed and was taken in ,she had a catastrophic brain bleed and went to the Stroke Ward Burrator Ward .My M.I.L was a very dignified lady and she was given such good care despite her to be in a comatose state.Her care was excellent .The medical and nursing staff showed great care to her and ourselves. She was beautifully clean and presentable . The ward was clean . The staff were empathetic and professional..we were kept updated at all hours .Everything fully explained. We couldn't have asked for any better care. All staff deserve the wages of footballers and celebrities . Enough said a huge and everlasting Thankyou

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 06 August 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tooth extraction

I had surgery today to remove impacted wisdom teeth. All the team were very caring, and friendly from start to finish. Things were explained well, and when I woke up quite anxious I was well looked after, all the way up to when they walked me out to meet my father who was picking me up.
Great job guys, thank you.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 11 August 2017

Tim gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellence beyond expectation

My 91 year old father was admitted to the Torrington ward following a heart procedure and severe complications.

Under the management of the doctor and team the care, respect dignity and support offered not only to the patient but also the close family was quite simply fantastic.

At every stage they were explaining what was happening, what the medical plans were and were very reassuring during what is an anxious time.

Whilst there are many who would only look to find fault with our NHS system I can honestly say that I believe that nowhere else could my father have received better and more attentive care and respect.

A huge thank you to all who staff and support the ward it really is so very much appreciated.

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

c jones gave Lung cancer services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

treatment at oncology unit lung cancer

i have visited this department twice in the last few weeks,the first to see the surgeon, who i found to be uncareing about myself and quite frankly rude, they spoke to me like headmaster talkng to a schoolboy,i personaly found them to overbearing and pushy. the second time was yesterday to assessed for the sabr treatment,after arriving at 15.00 hrs for my 15,15 appointment i went to book in with the receptioinst, and I use this term loosely, i waited for to finnish their chat,about 4 mins,then i set about haperly waiting to be called,it appeared that they were running late,it would have been nice ti be informed of this,but no one seemed to give a damn,so as you can proberbly see i dont rate this dept as good

Visited in August 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Geraldine gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent A &E Dept; Well-organised, efficient, caring.

While staying with friend in the area, I developed some chest pain and difficulty in breathing deeply one evening. This doesn't usually happen to me after a walk around Wembury and a meal in the local pub!
After a sleepless night and still in pain the next day my friend insisted we go to A&E. [My own London GP had not phoned back].
From the receptionist, to the nurses, health care assistants, doctors,and the helpful porter, everyone was calm, quietly efficient, and caring.

I was seen quickly and then assessed by a senior nurse, and then by a doctor.. They explained about the tests that were needed in a way that was both imformative and reassuring. Bloods were taken by an efficient friendly nurse and then a health care assistant with the same qualities of caring. A quiet professional, friendly radiographer took an X-ray.

My friend was able to accompany me, and another friend also felt cared for and enjoyed a chance to talk with other patients and relatives. The good atmosphere created by the staff encouraged everyone waiting to befriend one another.

While we waited for the test results, we spent some time in the lounge, a siting area away from the A&E. Again the atmosphere was good. We were offered refreshments, and generally 'kept in the loop' as regards time, etc. We were also giving very helpful advice about the car parking situation from a porter later on.

The doctor who saw me before I was discharged was excellent. The main possible diagnosis was negative, which was great! There was a slight problem which showed up on my CXR, which they showed me and explained that it would be good to have a further one in a month's time following any treatment by my GP in London. They gave me a copy of the letter there and then, as well as advice about simple pain relief.

In short, an outstanding team in an outstanding hospital. I appreciate your professionalism and empathy. and commitment to working in our NHS

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 15 August 2017

Chris Trace gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disgusting Treatment by Registrar

My mother was admitted onto Braunton ward with Heart Fsilure. She was verbally abused and reduced to tears by the Registrar.This is totally unacceptable behaviour by anyone, especially a member of the medical profession. She has now been discharged with no improvement in her condition and she is now reluctant to contact anyone regarding her future treatment for fear of receiving the same abuse.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 08 August 2017

K1982 reviewed Derriford Hospital

An exemplary department

I was surprised by how supportive the Sexual clinic team is even when you are going through the worst of times. Every single member of the team that I have seen was not only professional and very efficient, but they also were compassionate and reassuring.
They have turned what I thought it was a dead end for me into a challenge that I am able to confront every day.
Our NHS needs more healthcare professionals like the ones working here.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 10 August 2017 using Care Opinion

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Great A&E service

My grandmother was admitted to this hospital whilst on holiday due to her collapsing. The paramedics were extremely kind, helpful and kept the whole family at ease whilst performing all the tests. The hospital staff were easy to talk to and kept my grandmother comfortable even though she was far from home, making her laugh and updated on her condition. She was able to see a doctor immediately and was given the necessary care. Her whole family is very grateful for the work of the staff and we could not wish for any better service.

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 29 July 2017

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Just a great hospital and staff

Once again I find myself writing reviews about Derriford, but on the strength of another recent visit, the hospital doesn't seem to get the respect it deserves. After a second procedure following my wife Ann's recent hysterectomy, she was put into Postbridge ward for recovery before returning home. The staff were just amazing, caring and most helpful including several offers of tea and biscuits while I waited for my wife to be discharged. The information and backup given by the Consultant was excellent, and once again we left Derriford with the feeling we had been well treated. As an aside, I had cause to phone Postbridge a couple of days after we came home , and once again the help given to me was first class. There may be those who grumble about the NHS but in my opinion none of this should be aimed at Derrriford and in particular its caring staff.. Thank you again. David

Visited in July 2017. Posted on 27 July 2017