Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

EileenCJ gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A special level of care and compassion in the ED

I was treated with exemplary kindness and compassion by exceptional staff when I attended the ED in the small hours having become short of breath. A 30mile car journey made it all the more frightening. We were greeted by a warm and competent receptionist who alerted the triage nurse whose lovely manner allayed anxiety. The nurses and A&E doctors together with the radiographer and ENT specialist examined and investigated as necessary. I was allowed home with treatment in the care of my friends but with instructions to return if the symptoms worsened.
The treatment I received was wonderful.This unit is a jewel in your crown. Please pass on my warmest thanks to all concerned. They made a huge difference to someone who has had experiences in the health service about which I could not be so glowing.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 07 May 2016

Neal gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

VAT Surgery Crownhill Ward.

I have to say that it was with some apprehension that I agreed to have investigative surgery for pleural problems but at the end of the day it's not just about you if you have a family.
I would have been quite happy to kick the can down the road and wait for something to fall off!
The treatment that I received from all staff both physically and moral support was nothing short of 5 star .

Met some great 'same boat' guys there too.

So a big thank you to everyone at Crownhill ward and however much you pay your staff, it's not enough

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 08 May 2016

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled on the day

I was told to turn up at the hospital at 7 am which I did and I went through all the necessary paperwork checks. I was told by the surgeon that I was to stay In overnight (which was fine) but then 5 minutes later told by the anesthetist that because there were no beds I could go home In the afternoon on a 1.5 hour drive providing all was ok. I didn't mind this to much either to be honest but then the surgeon came back in after and said that after a big "briefing" they didn't want me to go home but the surgery may not happen anyway as there were no beds...this was at 10 am. I then watched numerous people go in and out of the holding pen but then at 12pm I was told to get changed which I did in to my gown only to be told an hour and half later at 130pm that it was cancelled as not enough beds!
My questions are
How does a national service not know they have no beds available the day before...(surely you should plan for say 60% capacity then the other 40% is filled by on the day things) and wouldn't a phone call the day before be nice so I didn't have to waste a day.

Who is going to pay my day off of work, my wifes day off of work, my car parking fee and my diesel? One 20p minute phone call could of stopped all of that.

and finally not related to me but to the staff...the poor nurses did a great job on the fal ward of keeping people moving, keeping people informed of what was going on, answering phone calls and requests, yet I didn't see one of them take a breather or a break and were rushed off of their feet for the 7 hours I was in there...you need more staff and help as accidents will happen and the duty of care to your staff and nurses should be key..

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 12 May 2016

ATh reviewed Derriford Hospital

Visit to Derriford Emergency Dept

I had a bad fall four days ago and visited A&E again yesterday (Bank Holiday Monday) as I was worried because my facial bruising was getting a lot worse and I had a constant headache. The staff were fantastic. Yesterday was a Bank Holiday but they treated me as quickly as they could and with such kindness.... From the Receptionist with dark hair, then the Triage Nurse Practitioner (Lisa I think? ) and Dr. Rob Kalebka, I was treated with respect and great kindness. Nothing was too much trouble. A scan was arranged for me to rule out anything serious and I was given some pain relief. I was able to go home an hour and a half after arriving at A&E and feeling a lot less worried about my condition. I was very impressed at the professionalism, patience and kindness everyone showed me. Thank you!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 03 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Imaging at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you!

Thank you so much to the staff in both the mobile MRI scanner and the main hospital one, having struggled with the lack of space in the mobile unit and starting to panic the staff were amazing and put me at ease and then arranged for me to go over to the main hospital there and then, even walking over with me, to complete the scan, where the staff instantly put me at ease and helped me relax! Excellent service!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 17 May 2016

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

lumbar stenosis op

Thank you to everyone who has helped me through this. I work in homelessness including alcohol and drug intervention in Plymouth and had reached the point where I was considering having to give up work. Now I will be back at work in the next 8 weeks. I love my job so again thanks to you I can continue.

Just one last thing. Staff in the Stannon ward, you are amazing! Thank you for putting up with the grouchy side of me.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 May 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Margaret Andrews gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks for excellent care during my recent stay

I recently had a accident and had to be admitted to Derriford Hospital Plymouth.
I cannot express enough that the care, attention and expertise where the best. The ambulance crew where considerate and caring from the moment they arrived at the scene very promptly, My transfer to hospital was smooth and efficient. The moment I arrived in casualty I received care rapidly having everything explained to me as the procedures went ahead. X-ray was swift and easy. By the time I was ready to transfer to Shaugh ward the department was extremely busy but everyone remained calm, patient and helpful. On the ward the staff from the main carers and assistants, the physio staff, to the staff serving the meals and tea where caring and always willing to help. The beds where clean and comfortable, the food good. I am a diagnosed Coeliac and having been for the last 30 years know what I can and cannot have. I was offered a varied GF menu every day of my stay, the food was hot and well served. Nothing was too much trouble. Thankyou to everyone for all my care so far and I will be interested to see how this progresses through the rest of my appointments until the conclusion and discharge thank you

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 23 May 2016

Sheilafrances reviewed Derriford Hospital

The professional care which he has received has been first rate

My husband was diagnosed earlier this year with prostate cancer.
We both appreciate and are so very grateful at the speed in which he has been diagnosed and treated.
The professional care which he has received has been first rate.
From the consultants to the doctors, nurses and housekeeping staff on Lynher Ward, where he was admitted for his recovery following robotic surgery.
My husband was very touched by the care which he received and is so very grateful for the kindness, cheerfulness and dedication. Thank you.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 26 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Alver reviewed Derriford Hospital

Staff took time to listen to my concerns

I was admitted with a swollen throat that required 3 operations. The treatment I received was outstanding and I cannot praise the staff enough. I was treated with compassion and professionalism and the doctors both listened and explained what was happening. The nursing staff took time to listen to my concerns (usually at night when all was quiet and my mind was going into overdrive) and helped me out.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 03 May 2016 using Patient Opinion

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Ian Rickard gave Gastrointestinal cancer services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best staff and care ever

I had a stomach op for cancer. The surgical team were brilliant and could not be faulted. I was taken to Crownhill ward were all the staff were great you could not fault them. The nursing staff went above and beyond the call of duty. The ward team seemed to work together it was great to see.

Visited in April 2016. Posted on 15 May 2016