Check here for alerts

Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Angie gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I had a colonoscopy and a endoscopy last week at the endoscopy department and felt i must congratulate the staff on the truly excellent service I received. From reception to leaving the department the staff were brilliant . The procedures in themselves were not as bad as I had anticipated and only felt very slight discomfort which can be expected. It really helped being talked to and having everything explained to you as they were doing it which made me feel more relaxed. 1st Class Service

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 12 November 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anne Cox gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Amazing A&E

I attended A&E last night. I was in so much pain with a dry socket after a dental extraction from an emergency dentist. The staff were so sympathetic and professional. They are all a credit to the NHS. From the receptionist to the triage nurse, xray department and then the medical staff who treated me. A special thank you to the lovely max fax doctor who looked after me. What an amazing team. Thank you so much.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 14 November 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Caroline Parfitt gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My three day stay in Derriford

I arrived in A& E on Saturday morning and was seen very quickly by a nurse. I had an ECG and a chest x-ray and the results were received very quickly and I was spoken to by the A & E Doctor who gave me their assessment. I was then put on the Medical Assessment Unit and that evening was spoken to by a Registrar who gave me the possible outcome and a CT scan to be done. All the staff were very sensitive and caring. On Monday I was taken to The Planned Investigation Unit and again spoken to by a very caring Consultant. I was given the scan that morning and the results came back within two hours. I was given the results by the ward Doctor who once again was very caring and explained everything in detail and I was discharged that afternoon. The staff were very busy all weekend and could not have been more helpful and caring not only to me but to the other patients.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Coralie Allen reviewed Gastrointestinal cancer services at Derriford Hospital

Special thank you to everyone at Derriford

•Earlier this year I was diagonosed with Oesophageal cancer. Two weeks ago I had an Ivor Lewis Oesophagectomy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to the Wonderful & Professional caring staff on the Crownhill Ward at Derriford in Plymouth. I was well cared for by the Nursing team they all treated me professionally with dignity, privacy, sympathy, kindness and always a smile, by the end of my stay I felt as if I know them all personally. Nothing was every too much trouble and they all were so friendly. The Theatre staff were amazing, I was completely reassured before my operation. The registrars and anaesthetist s were wonderful, The surgeons are all very experienced, knowledgeable and approachable and explained every procedure clearly in a language I could understand. The ward is immaculately clean. Thank you to the Porters, Physiotherapists, Radiographers, Catering , Cleaning staff, Dieticians,Occupational Therapists and everyone else. Every member of staff I encountered are a credit to Derriford Hospital. A Special Thank you to four particular members of staff and their incredible team, each of whom worked so very hard to find the best possible outcome for my major surgery. They have given me hope for the future and I will be eternally grateful .I am recovering well , this is due to there expertise & excellent care. x

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 17 November 2016

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not happy

After hours of waiting with a vomiting 4 month old he was quickly checked then given sterile water to give him sat in the waiting room. When called back in by the doctor 3 hrs later the paper on the bed still had my sons blood on it. Many other children had come and gone through this room. Infection control obviously wasn't thought about at all as this wasn't the only place that wasn't cleaned, the scales in which the children are weighed on weren't cleaned after use either. I'm not Normally 1 to complain but with the amount of infections going around lately you would think a hospital would be trying to prevent this at all costs.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Jenny Slatter gave General Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very pleasant outpatient experience

I had an outpatient appointment for a broken finger, which involved me going to the outpatient clinic, then to X-ray, back to outpatients and then to occupational therapy to have a splint made. The staff in each department were friendly and helpful, and I did not have to wait more than ten minutes anywhere, except in occupational therapy where one of the therapists was off sick. However they managed to find a replacement therapist from another hospital to save me having to come back much later in the day, and I only had to wait about 20 minutes. I came away with very positive feelings about the whole experience.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 24 November 2016

Terry Davy gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to my consultant and their world class team, and of course the corresponding nursing staff, on my three day visit to Derriford hospital, receiving a LH hip.On my 11th day now, have just walked very well about two miles on one stick, with no pain killer, and I have a very stable leg, I feel good and look good, Thank You Terry Davy.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 29 November 2016

Anonymous gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

poor

Son arrived from Bristol hospital , after brain injury. They were fantastic ! Then ... One week in sub standard Derriford and he is discharged !! No rehabilitation plan for us . He has another major surgery follow up in a couple months , but we have been given zero advice ? How can something so important be handled so pathetically ? Shame on you. Dreading getting old , and ending up there.

Visited in November 2016. Posted on 30 November 2016

SWr reviewed Derriford Hospital

I obtained an emergency appointment with my dentist (private) on a Monday. She..

I obtained an emergency appointment with my dentist (private) on a Monday. She prescribed amoxicillin and diagnosed an infection beneath the gum of a root filled tooth. She recommended a referral for NHS treatment. Over the weekend the toothache got worse, and my face began to swell.
By the next Monday it was very swollen. I telephoned the dentist who suggested that I should see a GP in order to get stronger pain killers and antibiotics. I was lucky to get an emergency appointment and after 1/2 hour wait saw a Dr who immediately, despite phone problems contacted the maxillo-facial department of Derriford. She described my symptoms to the doctor on call and got them to agree to see me as soon as we could get there.
We arrived at about 11. 30, went to A and E and showed them the referral paper and asked them to bleep the doctor as I had been told. The wait seemed very long, about 3 1/2 hours although I was moved about for triage and an x ray in this time. I found the waiting a problem as I am a type 2 diabetic and tend towards a hypo if I don't eat regularly.
I was eventually seen by a trainee doctor who was very helpful, examined me and then got advice on what to prescribe and on the next move.
I was pleased, though sceptical when he said that an appointment would come through within the next two weeks, but sure enough I have now received a letter and appointment for the 14th November.
Tuesday I telephoned and then saw my dentist as I wanted to talk over options for treatment which had been mentioned. She is sending the surgery x ray and recommended actions to Derriford M and F dept. The swelling is going down and the antibiotics seem to be working despite some problems with mild side effects.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 05 November 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Rob gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency treatment

Firstly I would like to say a big thankyou to the parametics who took me to hospital they saved my life and delivered me to emergency dept. unfortunatly my wife was not able to thank them for what they had done.She was then taken care of and kept well informed of all aspects of the procedures.I in the meantime was rushed off to the cath lab where they fitted stents.From there I spent two days being cared for in Torcross ward.My wife and I cannot thank all the staff enough for their professionalism and care.Thankyou NHS Derriford.Date of admission Thursday 6th October approximate time 7.30 am.

Visited in October 2016. Posted on 10 October 2016

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 16 October 2016

Dear Rob
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the care you received from the teams in our Emergency Department, Cath Labs and also Torcross Ward. As we make every effort to provide the highest standard of care and treatment at all times, it was lovely to read your positive comments of praise about our staff and also the paramedic team who assisted you.
I will ensure a copy of your post is shared with the teams involved in your care. Comments of support and thanks are so important to our staff and I know they will be very grateful to read your positive comments.
I hope you are feeling much better now and recovering well at home.
With best wishes