Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Sjc gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Non qualified people making a diagnosis

I went for a test in the neurology department. The technician saw fit to tell me i may have just a strain.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 11 April 2017

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

skilful and courteous care

My father in law attended outpatients for removal of facial lesion. He is 96 and great to report no sign of ageism! He was treated in a caring manner by all staff and they even took care to advise on best way to leave. Lesion was removed and father in law reported no discomfort.
I understand the hospital is under great pressure so treatment standards all the more commendable.speedy courteous skilful care.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Nicola gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Have been given great care recently by departments attended

Recently i have had to attend derriford many times for myself and family the waiting times aren't great but the care provided by staff who are working flat out has been excellent. The staff including paramedics ane crash teams wards and assessment and ICU were excellent and saved my partners life I have been through hydrotherapy and physio here and was treated with respect and dignity and staff were always more than helpful. Nuerology..especially one member of staff, are also doing an amazing job always happy to help patients needs. Would like to say thank you for the work NHS provide I know currently its being stretched to the limits and staff need a medal for what they do so don't mind the wait for the care provided many thanks.

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 17 April 2017

Anonymous gave Rheumatology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good service.

I have been attending the rheumatology department for four years now following an RA diagnosis. The consultants and nursing staff I have encountered have been knowledgeable and helpful. I have felt fully involved in the management of my condition. My consultant has talked through various medicine options with me and we have tried different ones. Together we seem to have found an effective drug combination and my condition is well controlled. The nurse helpline has been useful, with a return phone call usually happening within 24 hours.

My only criticism is that the gap between appointments can be too long. A six month follow up appointment might take 9 months, probably because the department is very busy.

The opportunity to have some appointments with Derriford staff at Mount Gould hospital is good for me. It's closer to home, easier to park and there are no parking charges!

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 18 April 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

free disabled parking

on your web page it said that with a blue badge disabled parking is free so why did it cost me 6 pounds 10 pence to park is their free parking any were in you car park

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 25 April 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Lorraine Pengelly gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Double Bypass Surgery...emergency

Following a routine angiogram i was shocked to discover i needed a bypass immediately and was admitted. Two days later i had the op, returning home on day 5.
The care, attentention and support i received from Bickleigh, Torrington ICU and HDU was exemplary. The whole experience was handled superbly and I was made to feel valued throughout and by every member of staff from the cleansing staff right through to the top. On that note the biggest thank you must go to the Dr and team for saving my life.
The only criticism I have.....I'm sorry to say discharge from Clearbrook was shocking.
Lorraine Pengelly operation on Friday April 21st

Visited in April 2017. Posted on 27 April 2017

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wife had Minor Day procedure

Staff were great. Looked very clean and tidy ( uniforms and the hospital generally looks good)
Not got an issue. They are obviously doing a great job with the small amounts of funding they are being give as reported by the press.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 30 March 2017

Kathleen Jenkin gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Neurosurgery Operation

I would like to express my thanks to the Neurosurgery team, Fal Ward and the Consultant. Both my husband & myself had every thing explained to us at each stage leading up to my operation. Two wonderful theatre nurses told my husband I would be fine and he wasn't to worry. They helped me through the stressful and unknown stage of being prepared for surgery and held my hand until I went to sleep. I awoke post surgery on Fal Ward where nothing was too much bother. The Consultant came to see me twice saying how pleased they and their team were, that all was fine. The only gripe I have is that at 10am I was told I could go home, I was kept waiting until 4.30pm to collect my tablets. This was stressful for my Husband as he had to keep topping up the car park meter and then we had the drive home to Cornwall in the rush hour traffic and the dark. There needs to be more staff in pharmacy I feel. Other than that thank you all.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 13 April 2017

Andrew Petherick gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fast and professional care in the ACU 3.3.17

I was extremely worried about my assessment appointment which followed a non-regular migraine episode. I was also anxious as I had just left a family friend's funeral to make the appointment. I assumed the process would take 3 or 4 hours to get through at was hoping to be away by 7pm. In the end there was no need to worry. My details were taken by a nurse and my blood pressure was taken. They asked if it was normal for my blood pressure to be high, so after explaining what the build up had been that day the nurse very understanding, explained the assessment process in detail and made me less worried. My appointment was for 2:30pm but I was seen earlier by the consultant neurologist. The consultant was extremely supportive and personable, they gave me a very thorough examination and took time to talk me through the different possible root causes of what I had experienced. They then gave me a list of the types of assessment they wished to do. When they mentioned CAT scans and MRI scans I thought this would take a number of visits. I was very impressed that the neurology dept. had a block of time in the CAT scan dept., so I only had to wait 5 mins before I was called for my CAT scan. The consultant took me down there and said I would have the results before I left. The staff on the CAT scan were very professional and relaxed, talking me through the procedure. When I came back to the ACU I was immediately into the next ward where I was given and ECG and my bloods taken. The nurse who looked after me was also excellent. Very professional and very funny, they made the whole process very easy and stress free. When I was having my ECG the consultant assured me that there was nothing to worry about on the CAT scan, but they still wanted the MRI done just to be sure. Both of these staff members ensured I was informed at all points. I have since had my MRI appointment. I cannot speak highly enough of the care and attention I received during my assessment. The whole process was extremely quick and efficient. The only way that this could have been improved is for the neurology dept having a block of time in the MRI scan as they do for the CAT scan. This would have obviated the need for a second appointment. Thank you to everyone for their help.

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 15 April 2017

Mamabear35 reviewed Derriford Hospital

Experience of Maternity Department

I was induced prior to my due date and was admitted to the delivery suite. Over the next few days we had several midwives looking after us and their care was outstanding. One of the midwives called Iris was so supportive to me throughout her shift, particularly during the time that the epidural was being administered.
The final midwives that we had for the last part of my labour were fantastic, Ricky and Emily. They explained what they were doing at every stage and were very easy to talk to. My labour ended with an. emergency c section and I was very anxious about this but Ricky put me totally at ease about the whole procedure. The theatre team were fantastic and kept talking to me which kept me calm. All in all I experienced an amazing service from the midwives at Derriford Hospital.
I was admitted to TCW (Transitional Care Ward) after my emergency c section. The staff are absolutely fantastic, nothing is too much trouble for them and even though they are clearly very stretched, the care received is first class.
The senior midwife Simone was superb, along with the student midwives Kate, Vikki and K Jago. The nursery nurses were also really helpful especially Natalie and Susan. I felt so well cared for by all the staff and was also impressed with the hospital food!

Visited in March 2017. Posted on 01 April 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Derriford Hospital replied on 04 April 2017

Dear Mamabear35

Congratulations on your recent delivery!
Thank you so much for your comments about the team in maternity; at such a special time in your life it is much appreciated that you took the time to provide such lovely feedback.

Please be reassured this will be shared with the members of staff you mentioned, as well as the wider team.

Sue Wilkins