Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Manipulation of Waiting Times for CT Scans - Derriford

My GP requested a CT scan for me several weeks ago. I eventually received an appointment by post for a date in the middle of November that unfortunately I cannot attend. I phoned Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust (PHNT) to rearrange this appointment. I was shocked to discover that PHNT policy does not allow appointments for CT scans to be rearranged to the next future date/time when the patient can actually attend. PHNT policy dictates that patients who phone to cancel an appointment are returned to the very back of the waiting list to start waiting all over again! I therefore now have to wait until the end of December/January before I will be given another appointment for this CT scan. If I cannot make that appointment, then presumably the same thing will happen again.

This practice enables PHNT to manipulate its CT Scan waiting list figures to give the false impression that patients have not been waiting as long as they actually have been for a CT scan. This practice is clinically unsound, morally unacceptable and clearly puts patients at risk.

It is likely to now be some 3 months between my GP requesting a CT scan and it eventually being undertaken. Presumably the official waiting list record will only show my length of wait since I was returned to the back of the queue earlier today.

PHNT puts achievement of its waiting list targets before what is in the best interest of its patients. There is no comprehension at PHNT that patients who cannot attend a unilaterally made appointment that arrives in the post, may have co-morbidities and necessary appointments at other hospitals outside the area, or indeed have other perfectly valid reasons for non attendance. Patients should not be penalised for this. It should be possible for patients who cannot make an appointment for a CT scan to phone PHNT and to be offered the next available slot that they can attend, not be put to the very back of the queue to start waiting all over again, for another eight to twelve weeks. This appalling practice needs to be changed immediately!

I will use "Patient Choice" and ask my GP to refer me to an alternative hospital that puts patients first and has far better clinical outcomes than PHNT. I pity those patients who are unable to travel further afield to access high quality health care in alternative NHS hospitals.

The member of staff who took my call was very polite and understanding. I have no personal complaint against them, they simply have to carry out the management policies of this wholly dysfunctional organisation.

It is hardly surprising PHNT has such long waits for CT Scans when it still only offers appointments at certain times Monday - Friday. It is not acceptable to all the patients waiting for their CT scans to be told that they will be moving to a 7 day service in 2015. This change of practice needs to happen with immediate effect!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 03 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Please would you be kind enough to contact the Imaging Support Manager, Mr Mark Walker on 01752 439225, so he can talk through your concerns with you.

Care on Crown Ward

My mother is currently an inpatient on Crown Ward. The first issue is around obtaining a response from the switchboard which granted only took me 30 minutes this morning but took my sister 3.5 hours yesterday. The 'phone rings and rings until it is automatically cut off.

My mother had a routine endoscopy on Thursday where her oesphagus appears to have been perforated. I don't have an issue with this however depriving an 80 year old of any fluid for 24 hours is an issue (no oral fluids no IVI), and suggests the Liverpool Pathway without consultation. I understand she collapsed whilst in Radiology yesterday but no bloods were taken until today and indeed despite a persistant problem with anaemia this appears to be the first time since her admission that her FBC was taken. Of course anaemia is an issue with a persistant oesphageal stricture.

I am hopeful that she may survive this episode despite Derriford's input.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 09 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Martin Guthrie gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Surgery on L4/L5 discs. Shannon ward, level 11 after care.

What I liked

After a long and painful year i eventually got a call on the 11th Nov 2014 to say they had a cancellation on the 12th of Nov, would I like to take it, No brainer, was there at 7am, Looked after very well, had the surgeon and his team visit me at 8 am to explain what would take place, was 1st on the list, was taken to pre-op at 08-45 where my operating bed was being warmed up with a hot air blower, once again everything was explained thoroughly, , Op went very well, all the trapped nerves were released and a section of L5 disc removed as it was damaged beyond repair. I was transferred to level 11 onto Shannon ward once i had come round from the op and Ketamine injections to control the pain, the ward was spotless, all the staff were Excellent, very caring, nothing was to much trouble, If i had to search for any negatives it would be i got a little cold through the night but the nurse just got me 2 extra blankets within a couple of minutes of saying i was cold, Food was good even though i had no appetite it was there if i wanted, The day after the Op, my Surgeon came to see me at 8AM, the doctor and surgical staff at 08-30AM and the physio at 9AM, all were happy for me to go home after lunch, The worst part was the 1 and a half hour journey home to Cornwall, I cannot praise Derriford hospital and the staff who looked after me highly enough, I hope this helps anyone who is facing surgery. Excellent Care!!!

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 14 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

It is very kind of you to share your experiences with NHS Choices.
Hopefully your comments will give some reassurance so anyone coming into Derriford hospital.
I hope you are continuing to recover well

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Best care in the country

well I have been to this hospital 3 times now and wow what can I say what a difference to Treliske hospital staff are so friendly and treat you with respect. Norfolk ward is such a wonderful place to be when you are unwell as all the staff make u feel better. They even helped my partner get home after I found out I was staying in that night. All in all Derriford hospital is the best hospital around thank you derridord for looking after me from A&E to Norfolk ward.

Visited in November 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your comments with NHS Choices.
I will forward on your kind words to A & E and Norfolk Ward.
best wishes

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Hate this place

I was in a few weeks ago, staff (permanent & agency) got my medication wrong repeatedly, at one point overdosing me causing a bad reaction. Agency nurses rude to patients, lazy, uncaring. Saw them refuse to help patients and claim to senior staff to have flushed drains when they hadn't, repeatedly disconnect a drip that was to be left for 24 hours untouched, then reconnect it risking infection to patient (I heard senior staff telling them why it was to be left but saw the repeated disconnections to make their life easier). Lady next to me unable to get out of bed after serious surgery not washed or bed changed daily unless her mother (a nurse) came in and kicked up a fuss. They claimed at 8.30pm (at night) they were 'just about' to change her bed and wash her for that day. Staff member falsified a reading on my obs sheet so she didn't have to take action, which I did report. Also failed to give me meds on first meds round of day because she was upset I politely pointed out a mistake in my meds the evening before. Are some very good nurses, but they are swamped so unable to give care they would want to. We had patients making own beds, patients caring for patients unable to get about and a man repeatedly gained access to the ladies ward thinking he was in Narnia. Mainly the staff caught him, but not at 1am when the patients had to get him out.

Now I'm due another operation, saw GP 2nd september, they did referral next day. Told I'll be lucky to get in January, despite 18 weeks elapsing 7th Jan. To date I have not received any treatment or help in managing. I've been off work since April with the condition in the other hand, took over 4 months to get study done to show need for surgery, then wait to see consultant etc. I am on zero pay from work, I cannot work without my hands. None of them seem to care, or the fact I've been off since April waiting for treatment gives no priority. They can't even meet the 18 weeks. Then I'm told all they'll get is a fine. I can't earn a living because of their excessive waiting lists! Trouble is if I give up and go elsewhere I'll be back of the queue again. Maybe if they didn't spend so much time in private practice over the road there may be more spaces.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 26 November 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

fantastic care from surgeon to tea ladies

What I liked

I came to looe bay from kent for a weekend away with my 2 boys and friends on the 24th oct and ended up being rushed to hospital by ambulance on the following night due to tummy pains.
They wasnt sure if I had trouble with my bowls so went to bowl ward who then sent me for a scan to find I had blood in my tummy, I was then sent to Norfolk ward who had to call 2 surgeon s in on their day off who then found that my tubes & ovary was bleeding into my tummy which is very rare, went down for op to remove the problem.
iwouldjust like to thank all the staff from the ambulance team to the tea ladies for looking after me so well :)
The ambulance crew even came and checked on me in a&e after they had been on a different call out.

Regards christie brown

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 November 2014

Dear Mrs Brown,
Thank you for sharing your experiences with NHS Choices, I am so glad to hear everything went well for you.
I hope you are continuing to recover well

barrytodds gave Urology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Urology

Being diagnosed with bladder cancer a few weeks ago, the care I have received is second to none. All the staff have been extremely kind and caring for what has been a very difficult time for me. My treatment is ongoing and I just e this same standard continues. Thank you all.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 07 November 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Cassie jones gave Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Safe, secure, efficient, organised, caring

As an outpatient from start to finish I experienced efficiency, the staff were caring and organised. I felt safe in their hands and I must say, nurses still are and continue to be very very very under appreciated

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 08 November 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 November 2014

Thank you so very much for your very kind words. It is so nice to hear that you had a good experience with us here at Derriford hospital.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Patient Opinion

With best wishes

Genny

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

poor mental health assessment

Having spent the whole day with police support,gp support and crisis team referral to hospital my very distressed and suicidal husband was treated by a very arrogant and confrontational ? Professional. Having spent many hours getting husband to accept treatment and appropriate care the 'clinician' was rude, and obviously not wanting to admit. Husband litrally ran from deptment. For us to start process all over again.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Catherine Boulting gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Awesome care, thank you

I went for an elective Gynae operation. Every aspect of my care was exemplary.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for your kind comments I will ensure that these are shared with the appropriate areas

With best wishes