Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

poor mental health assessment

Having spent the whole day with police support,gp support and crisis team referral to hospital my very distressed and suicidal husband was treated by a very arrogant and confrontational ? Professional. Having spent many hours getting husband to accept treatment and appropriate care the 'clinician' was rude, and obviously not wanting to admit. Husband litrally ran from deptment. For us to start process all over again.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Catherine Boulting gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Awesome care, thank you

I went for an elective Gynae operation. Every aspect of my care was exemplary.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 03 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for your kind comments I will ensure that these are shared with the appropriate areas

Lee-Anne gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Horrendous hospital avoid in anyway you can

After falling ill in October 2013 with severe abdominal and back pain I was taken by ambulance to a&e where I was then admited to a ward to be told I had arthritis in my back and the abdominal pains would go in time , I was then sent home only to be taken straight back in within days , I was admited again however as there was a bed shortage I was put on a heart ward drugged up and left for 3 days without seeing any doctors, I then decided to discharge myself as I was made to feel like a strain on resources. After several trips to my GP and constants referrals to derriford in April 2014 I finally get a diagnosis and am told I need an hysterectomy and needed it within 12 weeks , i then had a pre op in May 2014 (after chasing it up) after not hearing anything I decided to chase up operation date to be told I'm on the list, I then get an appointment to see the consultant again (august2014) to be told that a years worth of my notes have been lost but not to worry I'll get an operation date within two weeks , after complaining and chasing I finally got a date for the 7th October 2014 , I arrived on the ward at 7am as instructed I seen all the consultants etc that I needed to see was given my pre meds and got changed to be told at 12.30pm that they had no beds and are cancelling my operation, I have constantly been chasing up another date to be told that I will get a date within 28days however that could also be cancelled and they can not give me a definite answer on an operation date, my GP would like me to go on morphine for the constant pain I'm in but I have young children that rely on me , all I get from the hospital is 'it's unfortunate but these things happen '! I have complained through pals but haven't got anywhere .

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

I am sorry to hear things have not gone well for you.

I will be sending your posting to the Women's Department asking for their comments.

Please would you be kind enough to contact PALS to see what progress they have made with investigating this for you Please call 01752 432564 or email:- plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net

kevin crow gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

mainly the aftercare in stannon

I am always impressed with the way the surgeons have consulted and explained and I would like to thank the surgeon for his way of dealing with people and patience in explaining. On Stannon ward I have had nothing but kindness, genuine care and all dispelled with humour. I include all of the staff in this including catering and cleaning who were also so good at working around the ward calmly and efficiently. Of course my main praise must go to the nursing staff who have been not only superbly efficient I think over and above their job description. I am devastated that in other hospitals around the country horror stories abound and wish everyone could have the same care that I had. If I say much more it will sound gushing and I just wish it to be known to you that Stannon ward and I suspect Derriford Hospital are an excellent example of the National Health Service at its very best

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 15 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for taking time to post your comments.

It is lovely to hear when staff are doing a good job. I will ensure your feedback is circulated to Stannon Ward

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Tamar Ward

Absolutely appalling care and respect from nurses. My father was admitted on 12th Oct, discharged on 13th and back in that night! Staff are very uncooperative and everything seems too much hassle for them. It's like trying to get blood out of a stone to find out what is wrong with my dad. How long does it really take to give a sick patient's family the results of a scan? It's all well and good putting him nil by mouth but a diagnosis is what they really need to find out. Can't wait to get him out of this hospital and hope he never has to return here again.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

It saddens me to hear that you feel that your father was not cared for appropriately or treated with respect. We are actively encouraged to put patients first with all our training.

I would really appreciate it if you would call the PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

Anonymous gave General Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Lack of communication and confidentiality

My partner went to A and E as advised by NHS direct, had to wait 5 hours for a bed and was then admitted to a womens ward (Tavy) in a side room as there was no beds on the men's ward. Was told he had to stay in as it was unsafe for him to come home but wasn't told when he would be seen by a consultant. The next day when I was present they discussed personal medical details with my partner that other patients could here and shouldn't have been discussed without checking that my partner was ok with me being in the room. Tavy ward was very busy and noisy and my partner felt very uncomfortable being on a womens ward. Again was not see by a consultant and none of the nurses could tell us what was going on. Nurses where then gossiping about patients outside my partners door, very unprofessional! Finally he was taken up to Hound Ward and had the endoscopy however the doctor was very vague as to what the diagnosis was. Nurses on the ward were very unhelpful and there seemed to be a complete lack of communication between all members of staff. Was really glad my partner wasn't kept in for another night. In summary there was complete lack of respect, confidentiality and communication.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 October 2014

Good Afternoon,

I was very sorry to read your comments regarding your recent visit to Derriford Hospital.

I would appreciate it if you would be kind enough to contact our Patient Advise Liaison Service (PALS). Please call 01752 432564 or email:- plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net

The team will be able to take more identifiable details from you and investigate the issues that you have raised.

Trev Snowley gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First time in hospital

I went in to Derriford hospital Wednesday 15th October 2014 for an operation to remove the left side of my thyroid gland and a large nodule attached to it, I was very apprehensive because although I'm in my fifties I had never been in hospital before so was very worried which proved to be unnecessary, the surgeon anesthetist and there teams made me feel relaxed with there friendly attitude, they explained in detail what they would be doing and answered any questions I had.
After my operation I was taken to Intensive care/HDU over night where I could not of been treated better the staff there were wonderful and treated me as if I were a family member, I stayed there over night before being moved to Lynher ward where the staff could not be faulted, I was ok to return home on Friday 17th October which surprised many people how quick I returned home which I believe was due to all that were responsible for my care those days to whom I am very grateful.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 19 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

I am so please to hear that your had a good experience with us recently. I will ensure that your feedback is cascaded to all the areas involved.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Patient Opinion website.

Wishing you well

Genny

worried_friend gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Awful awful place

Have a friend with MH problems. Who also has a very bad heart.

She was rushed in via ambulance and told she would have transport home. Then told she could have it if she stayed.

Now has been told she has to make her own way home!!

She can't work, has very little money (to the point she doesn't eat much), yet has to struggle with major anxiety on the bus!

I'm disgusted

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 21 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Patient Opinion.

Anonymous gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care by caring staff

I was admitted for a major operation and I didn't want to be there! I was cared for by a dedicated team of attentive staff who couldn't have been kinder or more professional and was very quickly nursed back to my feet to return home. It was spotlessly clean and the food was pretty tempting too. Of course the surgeon and his team were brilliant.

Huge hospital treating thousands of patients so some may feel disgruntled and we are all more vocal with an axe to grind but I have only praise for this hospital.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences on Patient Opinion and it is always lovely to hear when things have gone well.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Denise Bell gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Coronary Angiogram Care

I was very well cared for on my appointment which I attended on 23rd Oct 14.
The staff were very caring with reassuring smiles. The X Ray which I felt tense about having was made so relaxing again by the patient care & friendly chatting of the nurses.
From arrival to leaving I was most impressed by the caring attention to my comfort.
Denise Bell

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 24 October 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments and I will ensure that these are passed onto the Cardiology department.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with Patient Opinion