Derriford Hospital

Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Clyde reviewed Cardiology at Derriford Hospital

Food

The food here is excellent - a filling breakfast, a two-course lunch and a three-course evening meal, both with multiple choices, hot or cold, light or substantial, plus regular offers of hot and cold beverages throughout the day. The food is well cooked, especially the vegetables, and served in a friendly way. "Slop" it is not!! And this review is being written by a cook.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 08 January 2015

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology, Neurology, Thoracics, Hepatology, Urology

I have been under the care of these departments since 2008, the majority being ongoing, as an inpatient and an outpatient, and I can honestly say that I could not wish for better care. Staff at all levels in these departments have been professional, caring, dedicated and very thorough, and I trust them implicitly. I have nothing but praise for the staff, and despite having some potentially dangerous conditions, I feel highly confident in the hospitals ability to do the very best for me. Everyone treats me with dignity and I feel fully involved in decisions relating to my treatment and ongoing care. I never feel uncomfortable in asking questions and I always receive answers which explain what I want clarification on. I know that A&E can get busy and there can be quite long waits there, but to be honest, I think this can be said of most A&E departments across the country, and it must be said that some people seem to go there unnecessarily, and that much time is taken up by people who have consumed too much alcohol, especially at weekends...obviously these things will impact upon how busy it is and how much staff time is spent on them. Overall, I think we are very lucky here to have an excellent hospital with excellent staff.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 13 January 2015

David Lovell gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent staff all seemed very happy

I could not have been more impressed. The staff were efficient, seemed happy to be there and were quite happy to chat and have a bit of 'banter' without distracting from the work they were doing. The food was excellent and the ward was kept very clean

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 23 January 2015

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Impressed gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E my experience

I was taken to Derriford's A&E via ambulance, there were three people in front of me waiting to be admitted. they were dealt with quickly and professionally. I was greeted by the sister in charge, the two ambulance men accompanying me handed over the notes and explained my condition. I was transferred onto another trolley and the two ambulance men after making me comfortable were on their way.

It was only a few minutes before I was approached by the sister and moved into a cubicle. Another nurse soon arrived and filled out the required forms, she also did other necessary tasks needed for my condition. I was then seen by a very polite, caring Dr., who was very thorough and informative about the procedures I would receive.

After several hours and receiving lots of tests, x-rays etc, I was told I could go home.

My experience of Derriford's A&E is very positive, the care I experienced was second to none, the staff were extremely pushed, but nothing was to much trouble.

I felt confident in the knowledge that they had carried out all necessary tests for my condition. I went home feeling reassured and happy with the diagnosis for my illness.

I would like to give a big thank you to all the staff at Derriford's A&E. Glad to know we are in such safe hands.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 24 January 2015

Geoff gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

SVT ablation conducted by the doctor and his support.

Dear Sir,
I entered Derriford Hospital on the 24th December 2014 requiring an electrophysiology study and ablation for AVNRT, a form of SVT, a condition where the heart occasionally and very suddenly increases in speed always whilst at rest. From the initial phases where I was assessed by the doctor, to the final ablation procedure, I was extremely impressed by the professional care and treatment I received.
The doctor and his team must deal with very many cases, but a sure sign of professionalism is when they carry out initial procedures thoroughly and efficiently, and make the patient feel that his case is receiving special attention.
Ablation is an invasive procedure, but to date I have suffered no side effects at all, so whilst I consider myself fortunate, I also realise that it is also because of the expertise of the doctor and his staff. A thank you also to the nurses on the ward.
Geoff.

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Taken in by ambulance for head trauma

Was rushed in by ambulance for a head trauma - sickness and dizziness.

Wasn't seen for the entire night.

Kevin O'Mahoney gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent

You hear many complaints nowadays about the NHS but my experience here was very good. I went to the Medical Admissions Assessment and was seen promptly. My obs were taken immediately and I was sent for an MRI scan with minimum delay. The Consultant received the results back after a short wait. Most professional and reassuring process. Thank you.

dean dickerson gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

knee replacement surgery

i would like to thank all the staff on stannon ward after my recent knee replacement.personally i think we all forget what an amazing job they all do.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 24 December 2014

Tony gave Urology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Superb!

I was rushed in as an emergency prostate case.

I cannot fault the treatment I received at Deriford Hospital in any way.

The only 'fault' I can make about the hospital is that is is located practically the other side of Plymouth to me!

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 01 January 2015

A Wheeler gave Maternity services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

maternity/argyll

I was admitted several times between Oct and Dec when my son was born, due to bleeding in pregnancy. The staff in maternity triage and on Argyll ward are amazing. It was an extremely difficult time for us as we also had a complicated birth. The staff were really supportive and encouraging throughout but especially while I was getting fit enough to be discharged. I never felt like I was being rushed and I am truly thankful for all of the top quality care they gave me. Also the consultants who performed the c section from gynaecology, interventional radiology and anaesthetic were truly remarkable and their post op follows with me were terrific. I cannot thank them all enough

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 04 January 2015