Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Steve gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful care

I was treated for suspected decompression illness on a busy Saturday evening. When I arrived, two diving doctors were waiting, there were lots of very attentive and professional staff, who kept my wife and myself fully informed, looked after and cared for. I felt very safe in their hands.
When returning from my first recompression at ddrc, I spent the remainder of the night in an assessment ward (bed L5) and the night and morning staff were superb. I cannot fault the care given to me in any respect and the attention given to my wife who accompanied me was also brilliant.
Well done all.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

Dear Steve

Thank you for your feedback. We will share it with the staff.
Having the Diving Diseases Research Centre and hyperbaric chamber close to the Emergency Department means we are able to deliver these specialist services.
It is also nice to hear that the communication between the staff, you and your wife was good. This is one area that we want to improve on.
Thank you again.

Tim
Matron for Emergency Department

Caroline S gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Nurses and staff show no respect at all.

I had to go to A&E yesterday, under the instructions from my GP receptionist and a 111 call handler because I was having chest pains all day. I thought it very unnecessary and as usual I was right in thinking so. Firstly because I could have just been passed over to Tavistock hospital instead of having to go 16 miles to Derriford and then pay for 3 hours parking, which by the way is disgusting that is costs more for me to park in a hospital than to park in a shopping centre for 3 hours.

When I get there, the receptionist is rude and dull and speaks down to me and already I am thinking I'd rather risked it and stayed in bed to have what may be a heart attack... Then after waiting for ages I see a nurse who is trying ever so hard to be funny, though it is at my expense. Now the one place I would expect respect and acceptance is in a hospital, it's not meant to be a catwalk now - but this nurse picked on me and made me feel like I was being bullied. I have a lot of health issues and one of those is that I really struggle to put on weight. I try to eat as much as I can but I just don't have the appetite. The nurse kindly told me how skinny I was and how white I was and that I not only needed to put weight on but that I needed to spend more time in the sun (I also struggle tanning and as I work 9m-6pm Monday-Saturday and live in Princetown I rarely get the chance to just lay in the sun as suggested.

I went home after a pointless exercise attending the hospital as I knew it would be. I felt awful and I am really hurt by the comments made. I do not feel that any of the staff took me seriously, I'm still suffering with chest pains but now feel more unhappy with myself due to the nasty comments made by the nurse.

I would very much like some kind of apology for the terrible service and the upsetting comments.

Regards,

Caroline Ledbrook

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 04 August 2015

Dear Mrs Ledbrook

I can only apologise for the way the receptionist spoke to you and the comments made by the triage nurse. We certainly would not want you feeling bullied and I am sure the comments made by the nurse were not meant in that way. I have asked one of my colleagues to undertake a full investigation and send an apology outside of NHS choices.

Apologies again

Tim
Matron for Emergency Department

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Aftercare after operation

My mum was brought in after having a fall 3wks ago and she broke her ankle on both sides. The hospital didn't operate until a wk after she was there they was meant to of operated on the Thursday but canceled and told us this was due to not having enough surgeons in theatre. Since she has been in there she has been very distress. The ward she is on is shaugh ward and the nurses r rubbish they can't be asked to cope with my mum so they have rung me her daughter up at silly hrs at night to sit with her to calm her down cus they can't do there jobs properly. Apparently my mum needs a placement for rehabilitation but no one can tell me how long the wait is and has for communication between nurses and visitors or family there isn't any every time I ask what's going on they haven't a clue. It's been 3 wks now. how long is this placement going to take y can't she just come home my mum can do exactly what she is doing in hospital at the comfort of her own home.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 09 August 2015

Good morning

I am very sorry to hear of the dfficultues you and your mum are experiencing.
Please could I ask you to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital who can help you with your concerns.
They can be contacted on 01752 439884 or via email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net.
I have also forwarded your feedback on to the Matron for Shaugh Ward for their response.

Jemma
Patient Experience Support Manager
Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust

R Godwin reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital

Endoscopy

Had an endoscopy last Saturday (22nd August 2015). Was a little nervous but the staff from receptionist through to the nurses & the doctor were all brilliant. They did their best to put you at ease & were caring & supportive during what is a not very pleasant procedure. Not painful, but uncomfortable & a bit of a weird feeling. If you are having one, don't worry, it's not as bad as all that & if you are still worried go for sedation. I just had the throat spray, but personally if I had to have one again I think I might opt for sedation, but it just depends on how nervous you are. The main thing is it isn't that bad either way & after all it's the only way to find out what's going on in there!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 23 August 2015

downingpw gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Shaugh Ward

I was admitted from SAU to SHAUGH ward with possible chronic pancreatitis 2 weeks ago.
I cant thank the surgeons enough for the swift care that they gave me. However I did feel let down somewhat by spending the whole week in hospital without as much being told results or even having my situation explained. Other than that they were extremely proffesional in my treatment.
The nurses and staff more especially I would like to thank very much for everything they did for me in my care and aiding me to recovery. They straight away made me feel very welcome and put me at ease by their warm and friendly and personal care.
They are a credit to their profession and if all wards could take by their example derriford would be an amazing place indeed.
Thankyou once again Shaugh ward .

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 25 August 2015

lilyella01 gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

No answers nearly 5days later

My partner was due in last Saturday for procedure to help with his intercrainial hypertension and still he hasn't been admitted even after we were given an admission date and time. Nobody seems to know where we go from here to get the procedure completed as the neurologists secretary is away?
The nurses that have been in contact with us have been absolutely amazing and have tried their best but they don't have the answers either?
My partner is going rapidly down hill which I explained to be told by a nurse if that is the case to get his gp to see him and emergency refer to you're MAU unit, the gp tried this only to be told the information I was given was incorrect!
In a minute it's going to be another accident and emergency admission via ambulance! Surely this will result in a higher cost to the NHS? Please can somebody communicate and help us? Really poor my partners in limbo and in so much pain.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 25 August 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 25 August 2015

I am very sorry to hear of your concerns.
Please can I ask you to contact me direct first thing tomorrow morning on 01752 433075 or via email Jemma.waugh@nhs.net and I will try and help.
Jemma
Patient Experience Support Manager

Jacquikernow gave Oncology - Medical at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Primrose Breast Care Centre

having been referred to the breast care clinic after a routine scan I was quite nervous about my visit today. As I am 72 I had had to make an appointment for the scan as I am no longer called on a routine basis. Coming into the Primrose unit is a calming experience and from the booking in, however nervous one feels, the staff are totally human and kind and are able to put one at ease.
Hopefully after numerous breast scans and an ultrasound scan the doctor looking after me felt that there was nothing wrong but made it clear that several specialists were involved in the final decision and that maybe further investigations might have to take place.
I was left with the overwhelming impression that this teamwork was working for me and achieving a very high standard of personalised care.
Maybe I might be called back but I know that I will approach it with less trepidation than I did today.

Jacqui Smith

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 26 August 2015

Chloe reviewed Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital

Patient transport

Need to employ more drivers for around as twice I been told they have no drivers to collect me from Torquay to Plymouth because they not got no drivers I relay on patient transport to get to derriford as I live too far away and have mobility issues

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 28 August 2015

Alan Ponsford gave General Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My stay

Sitting here waiting to be picked up been her for 3 nights after surgery
Have been in a few times in last 5 years
Everyone goes above and beyond to look after you
Well done derriford

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 01 August 2015

Derriford Hospital replied on 03 August 2015

Dear Mr Ponsford

Thank you for such great feedback.
The surgical nursing and medical teams have been committed to improving patient experience in the last 12 months.
This is testament to all the hard work and patient feedback that we have been receiving.

Best wishes
Nicky
Matron for General Surgery

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

General surgery

I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to staff on Fal Ward and Postbridge Ward following my recent hernia repair operation, I felt the care and attention given was wonderful and that they did all they could to ensure things went well for me and were very reassuring.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 08 July 2015