Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Professional Hermit gave General Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Prostate Surgery

I dont normally do reviews of anything, but I know how worried I was about this episode so I write it in the hope that others in my position will take heart.

On 11th November 2013 I had total urinary retention, and a foley catheter inserted by A&E. I was placed under the care of my local GP to await a consultant's appointment which I had on 28th January 2014. I was placed on a very long waiting list for a TURP (its quite popular at the moment I understand!!) and was told not to expect treatment until the autumn. Its a shame about the long wait but I had offered to come at short notice if there was a cancellation, I got a call on 2nd September and asked to attend the Freedom Unit in 2 days time. Saw the anesthetist and the surgeon who both explained in thorough detail the procedure, the risks, the benefits of both the surgery and the anesthetics. I was a nervous patient, but mightily reassured by a very caring team. The op was completed and I was transferred to Braunton Ward for my recovery. As I had a spinal, plus a bit of general anesthetic as I understand it, (as I said I did not wish to be around during the surgery,) I had no post op pain whatever as i was numb from the waist down. I expected some pain when this wore off after about 3 hours, but apart from some discomfort from the temporary catheter used to clear away any blood clots, that was it. I wont go into all the details of the recovery procedure, but at all times I was dealt with care, compassion and dignity by all of the staff at Braunton ward and I cannot speak more highly about them. The catheter was removed 2 days later and I was told that providing I could "perform" to a set standard then I could go home, which I did later that day. Throughout all of that I had no pain whatever - apart from minor discomfort when the catheter was removed - about 3 seconds!

I stupidly had symptoms of an enlarged prostate for 30 years (!!) and even more stupidly waited until the very last minute when i had full retention. May I therefore suggest to all blokes who are considering should I , shouldn't I, just jolly well go and get it done - there is not a lot to fear!

The NHS has had bad press recently and continues to do so, but I honestly think that the treatment I received at the Freedom Unit and the Braunton Ward could not be bettered anywhere. Thank you Derriford.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 09 September 2014

Good morning,

I would like to say a very big thank you for sharing these comments on the NHS Choices website especially your inspiration to others that may be in the same mind set as you were initially and the reassurance not to leave / ignore the signs until the last minute.

I will share your complements with the staff on Braunton ward and the Freedom unit, as I know they will be delighted to receive such wonderful feedback.

Genny

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely appalling!

6 months pregnant and involved in a car accident. Triage nurse saw blood pressure was slightly raised, and I informed her that I had sore neck, and lower back, and I obviously just wanted yo be sure my baby was ok. I was then sent back to sit on the metal chairs in the waiting room. Almost 3 hours later I asked at reception if I had been forgotten about. With my back feeling worse, mainly from the ridiculous chairs. The receptionist informed me I had 4 people in front of me still, due to prioritising of cases. I saw an old lady with a sore finger, go in get treated and come out in that time, having arrived 30mins after me. Not to mention at least 4 footballers with minor injuries! Now I appreciate that head injuries and other conditions are priority, but how can a sore finger be prioritised above a pregnant woman involved in a car accident. When I told the receptionist I was going home, she said ok bye. No contact from the hospital since. I am absolutely disgusted, and only wish we had another local hospital for the birth, as I have lost all faith in Derriford!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 14 September 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 15 September 2014

Morning,
I am extremely sorry to hear that you did not have a very good experience when you had to come into our Emergency department.
Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.
With best wishes

3 days for one scan of 3 min

Yesterday i go with the ambulance to derriford
I have pain dawn of my stomac
They after of 6 hours say i need scan, and say back tomorrow for the scan...
I do, today i back for the scan,,,, after of wait 7 hours more , they say back tomorrow....
Excuse me? 3 days for one scan of 3 min ??
I go to the x rays team, for ask please....
They say we dont have any request abouth you...
So, i am two days in the hospital for nothing?
What is this ?
I will report to the courts

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 16 September 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 18 September 2014

Good afternoon,

I am extremely sorry to hear that your recent experience at Derriford Hospital was not a good one. There does seem to be some communication issues regarding why the X-ray department were not aware of your referral, subsequently contributing to your unnecessary waiting times.

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 432564 or email plh-tr.PALS@nhs.net so we may have some more information from you so that we can investigate this further for you.

With best wishes

Genny

Per Ardua gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Very Good And Very Poor Care After An Emergency Admittance

I was admitted by ambulance after being in agony with acute urinary retention for more than nine hours. The Paramedics who brought me in were fantastic. The nurse in Casualty who put a catheter in quickly and without fuss was brilliant, as was her colleague who looked in to see how I was doing. Unfortunately, a different nurse who later came to list my belongings was abrupt and almost rude. The two doctors who saw me in A&E listened to me when I described what I thought may have caused the retention, were attentive, and reassuring. I was told by the second doctor that they would wait for the day shift to come in and then I would have an ultrasound. The two children who took me up to an assessment ward around 7.30am were more interested in each other than me and carried out their personal conversation above my head. Totally unprofessional. At one point I was wheeled into a door frame - and my catheter tube almost dislodged - because the boy wasn't paying attention to me but to the nurse.

I was just pushed onto a ward and left there, no explanations as to how to call for help, adjust the bed, etc (in fact I didn't even realise there was an adjuster until hours later when a passing nurse I had shouted for showed me where it had been left hanging out of sight at the end of the bed. But I was never shown the call button.

Apart from a somewhat officious nurse who came round to check my vital signs every hour, I was then ignored and left to stew. A consultant on the first ward round told me as he passed that I would be handed over to the day shift ward round. Nothing happened for hours, I was just left there. Eventually, a doctor appeared, wouldn't listen to why I thought my retention had ocurred, came up with his own spurious explanation,.and then disappeared after five minutes, saying he would consult with a urologist. He never came back.There appeared to be no liaison between the A&E and ward doctors, I wasn't even given my blood and urine results. Apart from the lovely, cheerful tea lady who did look after me, that was the last contact I had until, around 1pm, when I asked what was happening and when I was going to get my promised ultrasound? Ten minutes after that my catheter valve was changed, and after a perfunctory check that I could pee through it I was discharged with no explanation or backup. I had to ask to see the doctor again to find out what was happening. He was as dismissive and arrogant as on the first occasion. Absolutely no information given on using the catheter, possible problems, etc. Throughout the morning the ward was being closed down ahead of the Bank Holiday to save costs and it was being cleared as quickly as possible. As a result of this, when I had complications with the catheter and an infection later that weekend, I spent five days in severe pain, in a remote part of Cornwall, unable to summon help.

And my arrival time in A&E was incorrect. I was admitted at around 0345. My discharge papers show 0650.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Knee replacement surgery

I recently attended Derriford hospital to have knee replacement surgery. I was admitted to Stannon Ward following the operation. I have been in hospital countless times with various operations and I can honestly say this was my best stay ever. All the nurses (except one HCA who really should have left the NHS years ago!) were just excellent. The HCAs were excellent, the domestic and cleaning staff were friendly and helpful. If it wasn't for the awful food I would have stayed longer.

Nothing was too much trouble for all of the staff. (Except the one and I think the rest of the staff are aware of her shortcomings). They all bonded extremely well and were all working together as a team, rather than trying to get out of work which I have found in the past.

I can honestly say that there was nothing I could find fault with on this visit and would say for anyone due to stay on Stannon ward you really have nothing to worry about regarding your stay.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 08 September 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 09 September 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for your reassurance and positive comments regarding Stannon Ward.

I will feed this back to the Ward Manager to ensure that the staff on Stannon Ward are aware of the worthy job they are doing.

Thank you once again for taking the time to post your comments on NHS Choices website

Richard gave General Medicine at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Ambulatory care

I am a regular patient on this unit, and the staff there are truly amazing.
They are so caring and work so so hard, they make everyone feel so at ease, and you can tell they really care about people .
Nothing is to much trouble, and they dedication is way above the norm.

This unit really is the flag ship for the whole hospital and I feel I could never thank or praise the staff here enough.

From my heart thank you for caring for me over many years you are the best .

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 27 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 15 September 2014

Thank you very much for your kind heart felt comments.
It is delightful to hear such wonderful comments/ feedback advising everyone of the wonderful care and hard work that you have observed over a period of time.
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on NHS Choices
Wishing you best wishes

Mary gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Caring nurses working under pressure

I observed high levels of stress amongst the nursing staff on occasions because staff called in sick at short notice plus the pressure to carry out administrative guidelines whilst dealing with very sick patients who dont conform to a timetable. despite this i found the majority of staff caring and patient.

the time in which it takes to answer a patient's buzzer does not indicate a level of care however the ability to keep calm when many buzzers are going off at the same time and patients have to be cleaend up and beds remade are key indicators of the quality of care the nursing staff in Clearmont provide.

the service providers too were patient and clearly sensitive to patients special dietary needs.

A very busy ward at all time but despite the pressure, time to talk to patients is sometimes all is needed to make you feel cared for.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 08 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 19 August 2014

Thank you so much for your praise of the quality of care given by the nursing staff on Clearbrook ward and the recognition that despite fluctuating staffing levels they calmly go about their duties. Staff are always mindful of the fact that in doing their best to give patients individual care and time to talk about their worries, as you rightly say, they can be just the right person at the right moment. There is a lot to get through in a day on the wards and our ancillary staff, facing the same pressures, also make their time stretch to meet the needs of patients with special requirements as well as the more routine patients.

Again, thank you for your positive comments which I have passed on to the ward.

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled appointment

Arrived for appointment in out patient on 7/8/14 only to be told my appointment had been cancelled, apparently y a letter had been sent out on the 23rd July informing me of cancellation I told the receptionist that I didn't receive a letter and to please find out the reason for the cancelled appointment. The reason given was " he's off sick and has been for a while and we do t know she. He's back" I was then told again that I had been informed by letter! I assured the receptionist that I hadn't received any letter from them! Guess what arrived the very next day 9th Augast? A letter of cancellation!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear that your appointment was cancelled.
If you would be kind enough to call out Patient Advise Liaison Service (PALS) telephone 01752 432564 giving us more detailed information, we will be able to liaise with the department and try to book you another appointment and investigate this for you.

Apologies again

Genny

Jo Nic gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Reccomend for Upper GI Surgery

I chose to have my gall bladder removed at Derriford because of the fantastic treatment I had when admitted as an emergency in January with a subarachnoid haemorrhage .I am most impressed with the speed with which I was seen to the date of the operation. I saw the consultant on 27th June had preop check 17th July and operation 5th August. .I found all the staff very amenable and sympathetic to my problem. It's true I pushed to get an early date but you don't have to be nasty or impatient it pays in the end. So thank you to the doctor and his team for listening!!!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

Good morning

I was extremely pleased to read the comments you have posted regarding your experience within Upper GI.

I will be delighted to ensure the Upper GI team are made aware of your message.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact Patient Opinion.

Nick Allen gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

no staff / 40 min wait for response to buzzer

my mother has just had (08/08) a tkr and returned home yesterday, apart from the surgeon who was lovely and did a brilliant job the experience of my 64 yo mother was less than satisfactory . on admission day mum was told to be there at 7am which we did and after the pre op questions were complete she was put In a waiting room and left for 5 hours until taken for theatre at 245pm . after surgery she was sent to shaugh ward where the staff were lovely but non existent , we saw more contract cleaners than nurses,drs or hca's on Saturday evening 3 of the 4 people in mums side ward pushed their buzzer for varying reasons and nobody appeared for 40 minutes not even to check for an emergency etc , this is not acceptable . another disappointment was staff not reading notes , my mums notes indicated she suffered poor reaction to codeine and morphine so it was not to be given however on 2 occasions morphine was administered and once codeine which left mum hallucinating and vomiting for 36 hours . finally mum says nobody has looked at her knee from surgery to discharge whichsurely cannot be right , it was all about physio nothing was checked re her wound .
mum has had great care at derriford many times and we have been very greatfull but this time it has fallen short and that is dssaponting.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 August 2014

Good afternoon,

I am very sorry to hear that your mother has not had a good experience with us on the day of her admission and following her knee surgery.

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 to ensure we have your mother’s details and we can investigate this further for you.