Derriford Hospital

01752 202082 Derriford Road, Crownhill , Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding care for patients

I was admitted and still am at Meavy ward, I had an operation yesterday on my ovary. I have been extremely well taken care of and continue to be. The staff nurse is highly professional, helpful and reassuring, the surgeons are reliable and efficient.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 09 June 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Laura P gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks

I visited A and E with an extremely swollen face from an abscess, a member of staff from Maxillofacial was called to help me. The care i received was fantastic, i was dealt with quickly, the treatment was explained to me before hand and i was made to feel at ease which is not easily done when in so much pain.

The member of staff worked single handed throughout most of the procedure and did a fantastic job, much of the swelling was reduced once the drain was complete. They ensured i had suitable medication and understood the follow up treatment. Thank-you!

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A & E

Went to A&E with chest pain and palpitations was seen for an ECG within 15 mins was then left for 3.5 hours until I was seen again. Doctor that I saw ensured me they would write to my gp about doing a referral to cardiology. My doctor called yesterday not knowing I had been to A&E and no letter from the doctor from derriford.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

John Hodgson reviewed Dermatology at Derriford Hospital

Removal of a facial lesion

I would like to say a big 'Thank You' to the doctor and their team who removed a facial lesion from me on Tuesday evening. Being the last patient of what must have been a very long day, they did everything to make me feel at ease and took their time to explain the procedure and to make me comfortable. At 71 years old I am lucky enough not to have seen the inside of many hospitals, so to meet such a caring and efficient crew was a sheer joy. Thank you once again.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 16 June 2017

Frances Firmin gave Haematology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care in haematology/oncology department

After a less than satisfactory experience at another hospital I asked to be referred to Plymouth with a permanent life affecting blood condition. The care and attention I have received at Plymouth since that referral has been second to none. I am treated with respect and dignity my questions are answered and the team fill me with confidence that they know what they are doing and talking about. I am confident that if the worst should happen and my currently largely indolent condition morphs into something more unpleasant then I will be treated promptly and appropriately and supported both physically and emotionally to manage any negative outcomes.

Visited in June 2017. Posted on 26 June 2017

Irene gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Sharp ward. 10 day stay

After being taken to Derriford hospital after a fall I was impressed with the ambulance crew, staff at A and E and X-Ray. Having been diagnosed with a broken femur I was booked for a total hip replacement the following day. My consultant and anaesthetists explained my procedure fully and helpfully. The porters were marvellous at calming my nerves on the way to surgery with a little humour and expert 'driving'. All the staff on Sharp ward were outstanding. I had constant attention from doctors, nurses , healthcare assistants, physios and occupational therapists. The ward was kept clean , the food was varied, tasty and presented well. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. All this wonderful care was provided by busy people with smiles on their faces - thank you so much everyone, I will never forget what you did for me.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 12 June 2017

Andrea reviewed Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital

Visit a friend

Today I visited a friend on Wolf Ward and I was horrified. I am a Staff Nurse myself and worked in the RD+ E Exeter for 11 years and I am currently working at Musgrove Park Hospital. Whilst there a patients call bell was not answered for a whole hour even when the relative came out of the room to get some attention and myself asking a HCA to take note the attending Doctor taking off a surgical wound dressing without gloves and no one replacing it. Another HCA was going to take the Observations but when being told,that my friend was going to go home later this evening they said they were not going to bother. Which after just having a major liver resection is not a good practice. My friend asked why her bloods were not checked after having a blood transfusion,she was told that wasn't necessary. Also they were reluctant to refer her to the district nurse for a wound check up. whilst there one of the nurses found a long discarded needle in the orange refuse bin. I feel that some improvements are necessary Andrea

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 01 May 2017

Claire Jukes, Patient Experience Support, Plymouth Hospitals NHS Trust replied on 22 May 2017

Dear Andrea
I'm so sorry to read of the poor experience you described during your visit to your friend on Stonehouse Ward. As the Care Opinion webpage is anonymous, I'd be very grateful if you email me directly to [claire.jukes@nhs.net](mailto:claire.jukes@nhs.net) so I can arrange to look into this further for you.
Claire Jukes

Patient Opinion Logo

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tooth extraction

Granddaughter went for consultation and X-ray and as there was a cancellation was offered the extraction. Found everyone very caring put my granddaughter at ease excellent service from the dentist and nurse.

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 05 May 2017

alaloug reviewed Derriford Hospital

Excellent care, a huge thank you

Went to A&E today to have a nine week old foot injury looked at( on advice of a physio). Arrived about 4pm. From speaking to the receptionist through to the lovely nurses the care I had was second to none.
I would especially like to acknowledge Charlie in A& E.
She took the time and care to listen to my story of said foot and after having a good examination she sent me for an X ray.
On my return she explained in detail that my foot had quite a Nasty fracture!
So glad I had gone there today.
Due to somebody's lack of bedside manor in a different centre where I had first gone for my injury, I was very reluctant to go at all.
(hence the nine weeks! )
So I would again would like to say a huge thankyou to Charlie! !
You are an absolute credit to your hospital

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 06 May 2017 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Derriford Hospital has not yet replied.

J Tall gave Accident and emergency services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cleanliness of a and e

I was absolutely disgusted with the cleanliness of the emergency department at Derriford hospital. It's no wonder it's so easy for these super bugs to develope. I went into the toilet straight after a cleaner had just cleaned it and it was vile

Visited in May 2017. Posted on 08 May 2017