Derriford Hospital

Telephone: 01752 202082
Address: Derriford Road, Crownhill, Plymouth, Devon, PL6 8DH
Website: http://www.plymouthhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I attended both Derriford hospital and Peninsula unit oral maxillofacial Depts and received an excellent service.
Both places were very clean and the staff courteous and explained my procedure very well.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 22 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 26 August 2014

Good afternoon and thank you for your supportive message to the staff and environment at the Peninsula Treatment Centre and Derriford Hospital.

I will forward your message to the Head of Nursing for Surgery to ensure they are aware of your positive comments.

dave maunder gave Neurology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

great staff

I had to attend to have a brain scan and other examinations We were treated in manner I can only describe as outstanding. The staff both medical and non medical were very helpful and understanding and my doctor was caring and I felt I was in very good hands .Please pass on my comments to the staff. As my grandchildren would say " marks out of ten -1 million"

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 19 August 2014

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your lovely feedback and I am so pleased that you felt that everyone concerned was helpful, understanding and that you were in good hands.

Please be assured that I will share this lovely feedback with the teams concerned.

Jacquikernow gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Knee replacement

Just had my second knee replacement and four days recovery on Stannon ward. I cannot fault the treatment during and after the operation. The surgeon and his team were super and the aftercare was, in the circumstances, excellent. I was lucky to be in a ward of three other ladies and we had quite a jolly time. The nursing staff with maybe two exceptions were cheerful and kind. I would like to mention especially two of the night staff who appeared with cups of tea when sleep was elusive. I am glad that I only have two knees but I can happily recommend Derriford and Stannon ward for orthopaedic treatment.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Good afternoon,
Thank you for your great feedback and I am so please to hear of your positive experience that you had on Stannon Ward, with your second successful knee replacement recently.

I will ensure that the teams and Stannon Ward are aware of your comments.

Wish you well in your speedy recovery

Nick Allen gave Orthopaedics at Derriford Hospital a rating of 3 stars

no staff / 40 min wait for response to buzzer

my mother has just had (08/08) a tkr and returned home yesterday, apart from the surgeon who was lovely and did a brilliant job the experience of my 64 yo mother was less than satisfactory . on admission day mum was told to be there at 7am which we did and after the pre op questions were complete she was put In a waiting room and left for 5 hours until taken for theatre at 245pm . after surgery she was sent to shaugh ward where the staff were lovely but non existent , we saw more contract cleaners than nurses,drs or hca's on Saturday evening 3 of the 4 people in mums side ward pushed their buzzer for varying reasons and nobody appeared for 40 minutes not even to check for an emergency etc , this is not acceptable . another disappointment was staff not reading notes , my mums notes indicated she suffered poor reaction to codeine and morphine so it was not to be given however on 2 occasions morphine was administered and once codeine which left mum hallucinating and vomiting for 36 hours . finally mum says nobody has looked at her knee from surgery to discharge whichsurely cannot be right , it was all about physio nothing was checked re her wound .
mum has had great care at derriford many times and we have been very greatfull but this time it has fallen short and that is dssaponting.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Good afternoon,

I am very sorry to hear that your mother has not had a good experience with us on the day of her admission and following her knee surgery.

Please would you be kind enough to give our PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) Team a call on 01752 439884 to ensure we have your mother’s details and we can investigate this further for you.

Genny

Jo Nic gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Reccomend for Upper GI Surgery

I chose to have my gall bladder removed at Derriford because of the fantastic treatment I had when admitted as an emergency in January with a subarachnoid haemorrhage .I am most impressed with the speed with which I was seen to the date of the operation. I saw the consultant on 27th June had preop check 17th July and operation 5th August. .I found all the staff very amenable and sympathetic to my problem. It's true I pushed to get an early date but you don't have to be nasty or impatient it pays in the end. So thank you to the doctor and his team for listening!!!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

Good morning

I was extremely pleased to read the comments you have posted regarding your experience within Upper GI.

I will be delighted to ensure the Upper GI team are made aware of your message.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact Patient Opinion.

Anonymous gave Derriford Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Cancelled appointment

Arrived for appointment in out patient on 7/8/14 only to be told my appointment had been cancelled, apparently y a letter had been sent out on the 23rd July informing me of cancellation I told the receptionist that I didn't receive a letter and to please find out the reason for the cancelled appointment. The reason given was " he's off sick and has been for a while and we do t know she. He's back" I was then told again that I had been informed by letter! I assured the receptionist that I hadn't received any letter from them! Guess what arrived the very next day 9th Augast? A letter of cancellation!

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear that your appointment was cancelled.
If you would be kind enough to call out Patient Advise Liaison Service (PALS) telephone 01752 432564 giving us more detailed information, we will be able to liaise with the department and try to book you another appointment and investigate this for you.

Apologies again

Mary gave Cardiothoracic surgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Caring nurses working under pressure

I observed high levels of stress amongst the nursing staff on occasions because staff called in sick at short notice plus the pressure to carry out administrative guidelines whilst dealing with very sick patients who dont conform to a timetable. despite this i found the majority of staff caring and patient.

the time in which it takes to answer a patient's buzzer does not indicate a level of care however the ability to keep calm when many buzzers are going off at the same time and patients have to be cleaend up and beds remade are key indicators of the quality of care the nursing staff in Clearmont provide.

the service providers too were patient and clearly sensitive to patients special dietary needs.

A very busy ward at all time but despite the pressure, time to talk to patients is sometimes all is needed to make you feel cared for.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 08 August 2014

Derriford Hospital replied on 19 August 2014

Thank you so much for your praise of the quality of care given by the nursing staff on Clearbrook ward and the recognition that despite fluctuating staffing levels they calmly go about their duties. Staff are always mindful of the fact that in doing their best to give patients individual care and time to talk about their worries, as you rightly say, they can be just the right person at the right moment. There is a lot to get through in a day on the wards and our ancillary staff, facing the same pressures, also make their time stretch to meet the needs of patients with special requirements as well as the more routine patients.

Again, thank you for your positive comments which I have passed on to the ward.

paul hicks gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

moorgate ward

had spinal fusion an was on moorgate ward for 2days found the staff very very plesent an so helpfuf at all times also of very high standard was nice to walk pain free once again thank you all at derriford hospital also huge thank you to the surgeon an all theatre staff what a fantastic hospital derriford is

Visited in January 2013. Posted on 07 August 2014

Good Morning,

I am so please to hear that everything went well with your recent experiences here at Derriford Hospital.

Thank you for your feedback on Patient Opinion and I will ensure that Moorgate and theatre staff receive a copy of your praise. Thank you again

With best wishes

p h gave Neurosurgery at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

after surgery on lower back had fusion

found derriford an all the staff of a very very high standard i spent 2 days on moorgate ward my consultant was an angel as a surgeon an all the staff along side, thank you all at derriford an got me pain free an walk again with out any pain

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 07 August 2014

Good Morning,

It is fantastic to hear that your operation has been such a huge success and you are now able to walk pain free.

Wishing you well with your recovery.

Paul Hayes gave Cardiology at Derriford Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wonderful Care and Staff

I was a patient for open heart surgery, and found all of the staff - doctors, nurses, and support staff, marvellous. Let's face it - it's better not to need to go there, but if you do, the care and attention (in my experience) went beyond the bounds of what I expected. Their patience and understanding surprised me because they have to put up with some 'awkward customers' (of which, I hope, I was not one) and never once did I see a sign of any of the staff losing patience.

Derriford is very large, and at first appears to be a bit impersonal, but at ward level the hospital's size makes no difference. In a strange way, I quite miss it (but not so much that I want to go back, except, possibly, to say thank you).

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 31 July 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I hope you are recovering well from your recent stay with us.

It is always rewarding to hear that our staff are continuing to provide the very best care to our patients. I would ensure that your feedback is forwarded to the wards ensuring they get the recognition they deserve.

Thank you again for providing feedback.