Airedale Centre for Mental Health

Telephone:
Address: Airedale General Hospital, BD20 6TD
Website: Website address not added

This hospital has not been rated yet.

n/a

No recommendations

This hospital has not been rated yet.

Mandyru recommended Airedale Centre for Mental Health

Bits of this hospital and Lynfield Mount could be combined to make the best ward

What I liked

It was a clean and modern ward with single patient rooms. The food was average at best and some of the staff were so kind and keen to help and went out of their way to help support me.

Most of the staff were chirpy and upbeat which is what you need. If the member of staff didn't know you they came over and introduced themselves which was lovely. They took the time to get to know you, your needs and even your behaviour.

It was written on the board every day, very clearly who your named nurse was going to be and who the activities co-ordinator was going to be etc.

There were lots of activitries to do on the ward and these were encouraged. The staff work very hard on this ward.

What could have been improved

On two occasions this ward failed in their duty of care towards me which is unforgavable and then a member of staff lied to cover themselves. This should never ever happen to mental health patients who are extrememly vulnerable. It was after these two events that I was desperate to leave after all trust had been severed and damaged and luckily I was allowed. I hope this never happens to any other vulnerable and very ill patients who were desperate for the care and safety the ward was supposed to provide.

Very very little theraputic activity went on like CBT, DBT ect apart from the odd visit from the psychologist who was amazing to say the least.

I think the CPA meetings are truly appaling and a waste of everybodys time. If mental health professionals cannot organise a safe and planned discharge they are in the wrong job

Any other comments

Thank you to the wonderful staff who made a big difference to my health and well being by being calm, positive and spending time with me and other patients.

Most of the time the staff did what they said they would and passed on phone calls, delivered messages, got back to you if you needed them.

Very average food.

The house keepers were wonderful and took the time to get to know the patients and always had the time to listen and talk with them!!!!

Visited in December 2011. Posted on 21 January 2012

Airedale Centre for Mental Health replied on 13 September 2013

Thank you for the comments about your admission. The positive comments were very pleasant to hear and we regret that some of your stay was not as you feel it should have been.

We now have multi-disciplinary teams working in the in-patient facilities which includes community staff. This arrangement means each person who is admitted has an individual care plan as well as joint planned activities.

CPA’s are arranged by the ward staff to include everyone who should be involved. These are arranged when required as part of reviewing progress, but in particular on discharge. These are planned meetings and invitations are sent to everyone who has a role to play in the patients aim for well-being and recovery. I will ensure that these processes are reviewed by the Ward Managers to ensure they are effective.

I will raise your specific concerns with the Ward Managers and forward your positive feedback to the catering and hotel services staff. If you wish to discuss the comments with us in any detail then you will be most welcome to contact us through our PALS team on 01274 408600.

Again thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Clinical Manager , Airedale Centre for Mental Health

Anonymous did not recommend Airedale Centre for Mental Health

The wards are near the car park.

What I liked

The wards are near the car park.

Any other comments

I am involved with carers (family) of patients, these people care for the patients in their homes. They know the patient because they are with them continually or regularly. But the comment I get is ' they never listen to me' They are fobbed off by social workers or mental health workers and are belittled.But the patients' carers understand when things are going wrong so their input is an important element of the diagnosis. The unit at Airedale seems to be timid and keen to keep people off drugs to the detriment and safety of the patients and carers, even so there are many good people in the unit. The support services outside the unit appear to be hopeless. One problem which I suspect the mental health people 'hide' behind is that they are treating the patient and not the carer so they can be ignored. That is powerful, it means they can really do what they like. Which, according to the carers, is very little. It is hard to understand the structure of the service and the responsibilities of the various people.
There should be a clear way for carers of patients to register or voice their concerns about the help their loved ones receive. This is particularly relevant when patients are released before carers feel it is safe to do so.
People with mental health problems are vulnerable and so are their carers. They both deserve professional care.

Visited in April 2010. Posted on 12 April 2010

Airedale Centre for Mental Health replied on 11 July 2013

Thank you for sharing these very important points as I am sure there will be other carers feeling exactly the same. Carers should never be belittled and dismissed and you are right, they will have a great deal of knowledge about the person they care for and this knowledge must be utilised to help with the planning and delivery of care. Our strategy titled ‘Involving You 3’ acknowledges the roles carers play and what support they should expect from us. You will find links to this strategy on our website if you visit www.bdct.nhs.uk . If I can also share a telephone number and weblink (www.makingspace.co.uk 01535 216 020) for Making Space which is an organisation hosted by us which has been set up to support Carers in a number of ways including access to carers assessments and information about involvement groups.

As a unit we aim to create each persons care plan which is influenced and determined by their individual needs and problems. Prior to discharge each patient has a care planning meeting. This is a discussion/plan about future care and support for the patient and family once the patient returns to their home.

The Airedale Unit is visited each week by the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and also Bradford and Airedale Mental Health Advice Group who support and listen to patients and their carers about any raised concerns. The PALS team can be contacted on 01274 408600 if you wish to discuss your concerns further who will then find ways to deal with specific concerns.

As the Manager of the unit I meet regularly with PALS to discuss any difficulties that have happened and we work together with patients and their families to resolves them and come up with solutions.

Julie Megaw
Clinical Manager Airedale Centre for Mental Health

moths123 recommended Airedale Centre for Mental Health

This is what I woukd like to say. The place was keep clean due to the hard work

What I liked

This is what I woukd like to say. The place was keep clean due to the hard work of the housekeeper.The meal were of a resonable standard and on time. The room's were self contained and of good standard. They staff were of pleasant and respectful attitude.

What could have been improved

The staff need to realize that not all patient's are incapable of the understanding of what is happening and know what is best for them. Also found the staff to say one thing and for it not to happen, this causes a lot of mistrust. I also found the consultant to diagnose and give drug's out without seeing the patient. Trust is need on both side's for a positive out come. Although I do appreciate this is not possible in ever case, each case must be taken separately.

Any other comments

I would like to add that the staff work hard and that under what could be described as a lot of pressure coped very well.So I would like to thank the staff of Fern ward for they time and help.

Visited in February 2010. Posted on 14 February 2010

Airedale Centre for Mental Health replied on 18 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. We appreciate both the positive comments and the concerns you have raised. The positive points you make about the environment will be shared with the House-Keeping team as this will be received very well. Likewise, the attitude of staff was respectful and pleasant and this is crucial in all of the NHS and certainly needed in in-patient services and so again will be shared as positive practice.

It appears your experience about information being shared was less than acceptable and as you note this does not help with establishing trust and creating a positive relationship. I will raise this with the staff too in the same way as the positive points so they can consider these as part of our plans for improving the experience for everyone.

Once agian, thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your thoughts.