Royal Surrey County Hospital

01483 571122 Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road , Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX

Anonymous gave at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Good hospital terrible parking costs

Very good people terrible parking costs the practice of charging people to park for a+e is ridiculous this should be changed or at least lowered to bare minimum

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 15 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 16 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. In an ideal world we would not have to charge for car parking, but unfortunately it is a necessity. The revenue generated from car parking is used to manage/maintain our facilities and is also used for patient care. The prices we charge are in line with those of other local Trusts. I have passed your comments onto our head of car parking. If you have any additional concerns/comments please contact us on rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net.

Mrs P gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Really impressed with A & E and it's staff

I attended A &E after being refered by my GP for tests that need doing immediately, but we're not available at my surgery.
I only waited 40 mins before being given a cubical and had various investigations over the next two hours.
All staff from the Consultant to the nursing and axillary staff were kind, gentle and kept me informed all the way
I cannot praise my care highly enough.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 17 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 18 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Here at Royal Surrey we are very proud of all our staff and the great work they do. Being sent to hospital for tests can be a daunting experience and I am delighted that our staff were able to put you at ease. I will make sure that your comments are passed onto the team in A&E, who will be delighted to receive them.

Pat Hibberd gave Ophthalmology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ophthalmology dept

I have recently had SLT laser treatment in both eyes to control glaucoma and would like to comment on the service I received.
The consultant involved me in all aspects of the treatment ensuring that I fully understood
the procedure and how it would feel to me. They gave me written information to take away which reinforced all they had said so that I could refer to it as required.
The treatment I received from all members of staff was excellent, especially the consultant.
The laser treatment has been very successful so I appreciate the necessary equipment being acquired by the hospital, thank you.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 18 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 22 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on our ophthalmology service. I am glad to read that the treatment was a success and that you felt well looked after. I will make sure that your messafe is past onto the team in the Eye Clinic, who will be very pleased to receive it. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the service.

Patronised patient reviewed Royal Surrey County Hospital

Ghastly experience of fracture clinic

Ghastly experience of fracture clinic at RSCH - waited 90mins - poor communication and felt palmed off by Consultant regarding my son's care. I felt patronised and not listened to - the consultant seemed to think they knew best and had a superior attitude. Having been referred by A&E was then told not acute enough and my son will have to now live with deformity following a fracture
Offered no advice, no further support and was a dreadful reflection on the Ortho team
Would certainly NOT recommend any Family or friends experience it and will updating CQC accordingly.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 23 February 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 24 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. Here at Royal Surrey we strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we appear not to have delivered that. All complaints and concerns are taken very seriously and as such our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience would like to discuss your son’s care and treatment with you. Please could you email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net, in order for this to be arranged. In the meantime, your feedback has been noted and passed onto the relevant departments.

Evan gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Too long with no service at all

Been waiting in this hospital for about an hour and the paramedics didn't even check us in then when we do get checked in I've asked twice when to be seen to get my friends head wound which is bleeding cleaned and no one will even clean it let alone patch it up at all
This place is a joke,

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 27 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. Here at Royal Surrey we strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we appear not to have delivered that. As you know, emergency departments nationally are very busy and patients are always treated in order of clinical priority. This means that those patients whose needs are not as urgent may have to wait a little longer. All complaints and concerns are taken very seriously and in order for us to investigate we would ask you to email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net. In the meantime your message has been shared with the heads of the A&E department and our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience.

annacandoo gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Disgraceful non treatment

I can only say your a&e is a disgrace. How you can call yourself a hospital I'll never know I've never heard anyone give a good account of this hospital.
My son substained horrific injuries Weds evening from an attack and been run over and left for dead. You sent him home blind Thurs evening blind due to the extent of these injuries. He also had an injured hand which swelled up to one and half times with a weeping wound. The pain he was in was unimaginable. After calling 111 they decide the needed to been seen again due to the fact blood poisoning could set in. I praise the ambulance service who arrived in Haslemere 15 after finishing my 111 call. However the good news did not continue. He sat in a&e from 10.30pm or there anbouts until 2am then told the doctor would not be there until 7am so they could give him no antibiotics which prior going to hospital we had visited a pharmacist who told him that's what he needed his hand was infected.
Do you really think that 10pm till 7am is acceptable for someone in immense pain to wait for antibiotics. He has now gone to Petersfield minor injuries unit hopefully he will be seen by a doctor and get the treatment necessary.
You based your star rating on less than 300 people how many come through your doors thousands so you boast it on less than 300 satified people you are joking I take it.
I will be putting in a formal hand written complaint to the rsch regarding this.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 28 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. Here at Royal Surrey we strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we appear not to have delivered that. All complaints and concerns are taken very seriously and we would like to investigate your concerns further. Please could you email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net, so that this can be arranged. In the meantime, your message has been shared with the heads of the A&E department and our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience.

Anonymous gave Stroke services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wisley ward

Had very good care in the Wisley ward. All staff. Physio and ot.was look after do well

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 28 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted that you felt well looked after during your stay at Royal Surrey. I have passed your message onto Wisley Ward, who I know will be delighted to receive it. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Richard Boshier gave Ophthalmology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Ophthalmology Department

I have been under the care of the RSCH Eye Clinic for almost 5 years. This follows the discovery of high pressures in both eyes due to the presence of open-angle glaucoma this being progressive in the right eye. The situation had, until recently, been controlled satisfactorily by medication in the form of drops.

More recently, the pressure in the right eye had become elevated to a level that might further threaten the optic nerve. SLT laser treatment was tried on the eye late last year with limited success. As a result, a relatively new technique involving the installation of an Xen gel stent was performed in January 2016 to provide an auxiliary drainage path. The result appears to have been a resounding success leading to a significant reduction in the eye pressure and the termination of medication.

I cannot speak highly enough of the consultant concerned in my recent treatment. I have been fully involved at all stages and given a clear and helpful understanding of the treatment methods, the likely outcome and risks together with an idea of the normal patient experience both during and after the procedures. This has been supplemented by other useful relevant literature and web-site references which I have been able to follow up in my own time.

Of course a service like this is not possible without the right facilities and a competent and caring supporting team. The extensive recent renovations have turned the Eye Clinic into an excellent centre with an efficient check-in facility, more generous waiting areas and the acquisition of new equipment. The out-patient experience has also been enhanced by the introduction of the M & S and new cafe facilities near the main entrance.

I have found the arrangement of appointments in the Eye Clinic to be reliable and efficient. Appointment punctuality has generally been very good and my GP has always been promptly appraised of my progress after each visit.

Finally, a day-clinic like this is only as good as the people in it. I am well aware of the many challenges currently facing the NHS and the pressures some staff must come under. I can only speak as I find and my recent experience has confirmed to me that the great majority of staff do their utmost to to provide a competent caring service to their patients I cannot speak too highly of the polite helpful care and attention I always receive at the Eye Clinic.

Please convey my sincere thanks to all concerned.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 February 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 25 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write and thank the Eye Clinic team. Here at Royal Surrey County Hospital we aim to provide safe and high quality care that is delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care during your treatment. I have passed your message onto our senior managers, as well as the Eye Clinic, in order for the hard working staff to receive the recognition they deserve.

anne nicholls gave Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

excellent service

l was referred with almost frightening speed having seen my GP but l appreciate the concern shown. l should like to thank the consultant for their expertise and reassurance throughout, l was not keen to have an operation but the team made the experience as pleasant as it could be , no after effects whatever, l was able to see to my cattle that evening as usual and to be frank by the next day wondered if l'd dreamt the whole thing! Thank you all concerned.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Having an operation can be a very frightening experience and I am glad to hear that our team were able to reassure you and make the experience as pleasant as possible.

I have passed your comments onto the Senior Nurse in Gynaecology, who I am sure will be glad to learn you are recovering well.

MikeMe gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arthroscopic subacromial decompression of the shoulder

I was operated on the day of the Junior Doctor's strike 12th January 2016. That worked well for me because I ended up with the lead consultant doing the operation. Please pass on my thanks to the consultant and the team including nurses for carrying on with the operation in spite of the strike.

Early days yet in terms of results but amazing non invasive surgery.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Due to the dedication and hardwork of our staff the industrial action caused minimal disruption to patients and services at Royal Surrey County Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are recovering well from your procedure and have passed your feedback onto the relevant team.