Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Acute oncology admissions

My daughter is c/o the oncology dept. She has has her second bout of feeling very unwell and vomiting whilst taking her cancer medication. Both times it has been a struggle to gain the specialist advice and admission for assessment of her condition. It appears acutely ill oncology patients have to go through A/E before being seen by the Oncology team, often waiting several hours .
Why is this?
Other hospitals have a dedicated phone line available 24/7 for such patients together with an assessment area for them to come into for specialist help staffed by those who understand their condition.
The system at your hospital leaves the patient and their carers upset and even more worried than they should be. They should not have to face such an uphill task at such a distressing time.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 21 October 2014

Doug Smit gave Dermatology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Praise for Outpatients 3 and my consultant

I visited Outpatients 3 a couple of days ago. On previous occasions I have been really unimpressed by outpatients management. Everyone appeared have been booked in at 9am and we sat around like lemons not knowing when we would be seen. The new check-in process and scrolling screen is a huge improvement. Very satisfied.

My main reason for writing is to praise the doctor for her professional, friendly, considerate examination and treatment. A very very good experience. Thanks!

Doug Smit

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to the area involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Betty Adams gave Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Oncology Dept

I was unlucky enough to be diagnosed with womb cancer in September and was scooped up into the care of your simply wonderful team of Specialists and support staff at the St. Lukes Cancer Centre. My surgery was on 30th September and throughout the whole time I was always kept up to date and told exactly what was going to happen and when - everyone on this team acted with such kindness and understanding that it still takes my breath away. I have been one of the lucky ones in that my cancer was contained and once the hysterectomy was done, then the cancer was gone too! My very short stay in Elstead Ward post-op was made so easy, again with the support and compassion of all the staff on that Ward. My recovery has been spectacular and this is simply due to the superb team who supported both myself and my husband through this whirlwind of emotions. I am only so sorry that I haven't ever managed to know all your names, but I shall be grateful to you all for the rest of my life.
Most sincerely
Mrs. Elizabeth (Betty) Adams

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 07 November 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Care

I have been attending The Royal Surrey Hospital for the past year and have had 4 surgical procedures. The experience was stress free and manageable by the excellent staff in every department I visited. I can only praise the whole set up from being able to contact my consultant's secretary, my consultant and specialist nurses who were generous with their time and were very respectful. In all the units I was treated very well and kept informed the whole time. All appointments and surgery dates were mostly kept or if changed I was notified in a timely manner. I have nothing but praise for the staff and their professionalism.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments and experience. It is always very motivating when members of staff get recognition for their hard work. I have shared your comments with Ward Managers. I hope you are well after your visit and wish you all the best in the future. Thank you once again.

Anna Loxton gave Physiotherapy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Physiotherapy

I moved into the area for the birth of my third child and have been so impressed with all the treatment I have received at Royal Surrey, but would particularly like to mention the physiotherapist who treated me for my stomach muscles. She has been absolutely brilliant, enthusiastic, supportive and understanding and I am so pleased with the results. My stomach muscles feel better than they did before I had my second child and I have been given the techniques to carry this on myself. Please keep this hugely valuable service which I am sure will help to prevent possible medical conditions in the future if left untreated. This service was not offered by my previous trust and I feel very fortunate to have received it this time.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 19 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Richard Allen gave Cardiology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

During two recent stays in the coronary care area preceding an angiogram and stent operation (the latter carried out at Frimley) I was amazed at the quality of care and professionalism shown at every stage by the consultants, nurses and support staff at the Royal Surrey.
Without exception, all staff carried out their duties with great good-humour and thoughtfulness, despite having to cope with an extremely testing and hectic workload.
If I had a quibble it could be over the continued existence of mixed wards though I guess this is more of a problem for women than for men and is understandable given the urgent nature of many procedures and the pressure on accommodation.
Being in hospital could hardly be regarded as a pleasure but the standard of treatment and (surprisingly) the quality of the catering made my stay as comfortable and relaxed as I could imagine.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 21 September 2014

MissE gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Was at the end of my tether!

I would like to express my gratitude to the staff a the royal surrey. I was recently admitted to the short stay ward. I had been less than pleased with the treatment of my gp and another hospital about my worsening condition and really was at my last straw. I was seen right away at a&e on Monday and all tests were done quickly and professionally where the condition I had was re confirmed. As the pain was worsening I was transferred to the short stay ward and operated on the following day where it was found that I had a torsion on my ovary and most of it had died ( something the other hospital failed to notice). However, they managed to save a third of it. I was released the following day after fantastic care, especially the kind male nurse in recovery, and with adequate pain relief. Finally after days of agonising pain it's over. Finally a competent doctor that essentially saved part of the ovary. I just can't imagine what I'd be like now if I didn't visit yourselves. Thank you very much. You have restored my faith in the nhs and you'll be the only hospital I'll trust to visit if needed.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 25 September 2014

Anonymous gave Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

What a dogs dinner!

Disorganised, we never saw the same doctor twice, the patients toilet absolutely stank of old urine. I complained to the cleaners who came to speak to me and told me if its bodily fluids on the floor, the nurses must deal with it! What is this world coming to?!! No wonder the nursing staff took on average between 6-8 minutes to respond to an alarm call when my son was choking and 25 minutes to respond to a drip alarm which had tissued in my sons arm! I told them I had cleaned up a puddle myself but the floor was filthy and needed a good mopping with disinfectant to kill off these germs and smells. The reply was, "oh it just needs a spray of air freshner!" I think the Care Quality Commision needs to revisit some of the patients toilets and inspect for clendliness and run some swab tests. For the manager of the cleaning staff to say a loo that was that dirrty and that smelly needed a masking agent - air freshner, is frankly worrying! It clearly demonstrates that he had not the faintest idea about infection control and what products and mops to use for different areas to deal with bacteria.
I asked every day for the hygenist to visit my son, but no one came. The menu came round each day and I tried my best to find things on there my son - who has special dietry requirements, could eat. However, everytime the food came it was completely different from what we had checked off on the menu. Someone was changing it! I ticked things and the menu which came with his dinner had crosses against items we hadnt chosen. My son is quadraplegic and was vommiting on arrival by ambulance, we had to queu in the corridor catching vomit for a hour. Then wer huddled into a treatment room used for injections, blood tests etc. We stayed there for hours unattended.
We were never offered a drink or shown where to get things.
My son has 24/7 care as he cannot even sit up to be sick. He needs help with everything. So the final insult came on the second day when a different sister appeared on the ward and told me it wasnt visiting time and I would have to leave my son!! Needless to say my autistic son who was then diagnosed with septecemia and pneumonia was made to feel worse - He was frightened and very upset and begged me not to leave him. He had seen the poor response rate to the call bells etc and as there was little or no continuity with the doctors peering at him, he was already extremely unsettled.
I appreciate that the NHS are doing their best with lack of resources and the Government refusing to see the crisis we are in but what I do hope for in hospital is cleaners who understand how to clean effectively and nursing staff who care!

I refused to leave and said if I was made to leave I would have to take my son with me as he would choke to death under their care. I said if the otehrs wanted privacy, I was happy for the curtains to be pulled around my sons bed to close us off. After a few retorts, it was agreed.
This was Hindhead - Neurology

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 25 September 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 October 2014

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to investigate this further. Please could you email your contact details to rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net so that we can arrange for a senior member of staff to contact you to discuss this further.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

jenny brown gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

I did not enjoy my stay

I was admitted to the ESU on 18/9/14 to have my gall bladder removed the following day. All the staff in the theatre area could not be falted they could not do enough to keep me calm and make sure I understood what was going to happen. The worst part was my stay on Frensham Ward.I was toldI would see a doctor the next morning this did not happen .
I was told that there were no doctors on duty onlu F1's I needed a doctor to agree to having my dressings looked at and to have my drip needles removed most had not been used.Hygiene did not exist a patient leaked urine along the ward a nurse used a towel to mop some of it up then kicked it under a bed there it stayed tell we asked for the towel to be taken away.patients waited for up to 50mins : for bells to be answered when nurses were on the ward but the patient could now. See them.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 30 September 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A very good experience on Monday 08/09/2014

It was a pleasure to visit the eye clinic the staff showed a professional and kind approach ,they made our visit a easy and pleasant .There calm and kind approach made my visit a treat not a trauma.thank you.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 09 September 2014