Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital

Admission to A and E on Sunday

I was 7 weeks pregnant when i started bleeding and feeling an extreme pain in my lower abdomen.. i rushed to the A and E, was admitted straight away. everything went smoothly, seeing a nurse, getting some painkillers... but to see a doctor it took ages.. when she finally came, she said i need to be seen by a gynaecologist. it took him more than an hour and a half to come and see me. i was in a very bad pain, nurses gave me paracetamol, but it was like eating a candy. i had to insist several times to get strong painkillers. I think while i was waiting for the specialist i lost my baby in the hospital toilet.... :( when he finally came and examined me, (without even a professional lamp, so one of the nurses had to assist and hold the lamp for him) he said my cervix is closed i should be ok.. and that he will send me home. i asked him about a scan to check if my baby was was ok.. but the early pregnancy unit was closed on Sundays, and A&E do not have one. Unbelievable. So i was sent home, knowing i must wait till next day when i was supposed to get a call to come in for an ultrasound scan. i was admitted just after 4pm and left the hospital before 9pm. the nurses and the general doctor were very nice and supportive. Shame i couldn't get the answers sooner, it could have made my pain a little more bearable. Monday when i came back, the baby was no more. :( The whole experience was heartbreaking.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 31 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

RonH gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hernia repair

I was very apprehensive about the operation as had not had a stay in hospital for 60 years since appendectomy.
Had a single port lapascoprosy for inguinal hernia, and all went very smoothly. Back home same day in time to cook haggis and neeps for myself and escort.
I can honestly say there was no real pain, just some discomfort that just paracetamol kept at bay. No scarring as access was through navel which was filled with glue afterwards. Slight bruising around entry point and a slight swelling down below which is subsiding.
Went for walk next day, keeping slightly bent unnecessarily,
Worst discomfort was in shoulder that I understand is caused somehow by the gas used to inflate the abdomen, but it wasn't real pain.
The surgeon, called round after the operation and told my escort to make sure I did some work when we got home and not sit around idle.
After two nights without sleep due to nerves, it was lovely to really relax.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 28 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 20 February 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience at the Royal Surrey.

It is very pleasing to hear that your operation went well and that your recovery is going smoothly. We really value your feedback and hope that it will reassure other patients who may also feel nervous prior to an operation.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My wife admitted to A&E 18.01.14

My wife and I would like to say a huge thank you to all the staff for the professionalism, care, attention and treatment that she received while in A&E for 3 nights from Saturday 18th January. Having collapsed at home soon after midday on Saturday I took my wife into A&E where she was seen promptly, examined, given ECGs and blood tests before being diagnosed with SVT. THe decision On being transferred to the EAU for observation she was within 10 minutes rushed into A&E resuscitation as the monitor indicated that her heart rate had exceeded 300. You have the full medical record so there is no requirement for me to repeat it here but my wife and I do have to emphasize how grateful we are to the consultants, registrar, doctors, nurses and all other staff - they were all brilliant and my wife is now making great progress at home with he medication that was prescribed.

Thank you, thank you and again thank you!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 24 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 28 January 2014

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience with us.

It is very pleasing to hear that your wife's admission in to our A&E department was as pleasurable as it could be. All members of our staff work hard to deliver the best care, anywhere in line with our Trust strategy. Thanks again for your kind comments, I have shared them with our A&E matron to share with the team and EAU.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Chris Bryant gave Physiotherapy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding Service

I have been visiting Royal Surrey for quite a while now, for a number of issues.
I felt that each dept worked very individually, and yet symptoms/issues could easily have been related.
No one was really taking notice as such.

However, this changed when I saw a lady in Physiotherapy.

Not only was she genuinely concerned and interested in my injury, she took the time to find out the better picture - and to reassure me that she would deal with it all, as much as she could.

This was the first time someone had taken 'overall control' and the first time I felt someone really cared, as opposed to just trying to get through numbers.

Ever since then, she has always taken the time to look at the case from every angle possible, she has always kept me informed as to what was happening, when, how, why and by who.

Without going into specific details of my case, I felt I had really reached a very low point when I wasn't getting anywhere.
And when she started treating me, the mere fact of genuine care meant the world to me.
I needed this type of care - I believe lots of people do.

She continues to keep me informed and offer help when and where required - and this has been an unbelievable help to me.

I would be grateful if recognition could be made to her for all her hard work, patience and understanding.
I appreciate it all very much.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 23 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 January 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback with us.

It is great to hear that one of our physiotherapist's helped to make your experience as good as it could be and went above and beyond the call of duty to deliver exceptional care.

I have shared your email with the Physiotherapy manager to ensure your kind comments are received.

Excellent care and attention

I came to the RSCH yesterday evening after being referred direct by my GP, from the minute I arrived until I was discharged this morning, the care and attention by all members of the A&E team were beyond outstanding, especially as I was seen at a time when I believe the shift was about to change. What I also was impressed by was the male nurse who dealt with me before his shift finished then came and asked how I was this morning when he brought another patient on to the ward that I was admitted to. Unfortunately I do not remember his name but I think he is a senior nurse

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 22 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 22 January 2014

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience with us.

It is very pleasing to hear that your admission to our A&E department was as pleasurable as it could be. Our staff work hard to deliver the best care, anywhere in line with our Trust strategy. Thanks again for your kind comments, I have shared them with our A&E matron to share.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Tonsillectomy - Hascombe Ward

It's not often I feel compelled to write, but we'd like to thank you for the care for a tonsillectomy 2nd January and then subsequently when my son was admitted for bleeding a few days later.

From the staff at A&E, through to the surgeon, anaesthetists, ward staff and even the car parking staff there was an obvious ethos of care which went beyond fullfiling a job role.

So, if a stay in hospital can be considered pleasant, this was it. A particular thanks to a member of staff in Hascombe who always had a cheerful word while passing the bed, even if she didn't have anything particular to administer. She understood that it was a bit strange for a 15 year old to be in a children's ward and really looked after him in the right way. And it was the right place for him to be; even a 15 year old boy appreciates magic cream!

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 21 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 21 January 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

It is great to hear that all members of staff you encountered made your experience as good as it could be. I have passed your kind words on to the matron of our A&E department, our matron for Hascombe ward and also our manager for car parking.

Your comments are really appreciated and it is great to hear that you had a pleasant experience.

Excellent care in A&E

I received exemplary care while in A&E and subsequently CDU. All staff including consultants,nurses and HCAs were more than competent and very kind.
Inevitably there are waits for results and opinions but these were kept to a minimum.
I was kept fed, watered and comfortable with regular offers of pain relief.
The only negative was the sanitary bin in the CDU female patient toilet which was literally overflowing. House keeping not medicine.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 16 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 17 March 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review the service you experienced at the Royal Surrey.

I have passed your feedback on to our housekeeping manager, to ensure that this is an area in the Trust that regularly gets looked at.

It is very nice to hear that our staff members treated you with kindness and that you felt well cared for.

We really appreciate your feedback.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Liz gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Colonoscopy patient experience

An expression of thanks for the efficient, professional and considerate service I experienced during a recent colonoscopy. At aged 44 this was the first hospital procedure/sedation I've have had to endure and I was reassured by the treatment and respect I was afforded. The waiting area was modern, bright and clean (so important as a reassuring first impression); the staff were courteous and cheerful and the procedure and aftercare were expertly and efficiently carried out. A small but telling further indication - I had no bruising following the removal of my cannula owing the careful and professional way it was administered by a male nurse who enjoyed his work and was proud to say so.
Thank you for making a nerve-wracking and unpleasant prospect an unexpectedly dignified and painless experience.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 15 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 17 March 2014

We really appreciate your feedback and it is nice to hear that you had a good first impression of the hospital. We have a dedicated housekeeping team who work very hard to keep the appearance of the Trust to a good standard.

It is also pleasing to hear that the nursing staff made you feel relaxed and at ease. We hope that your experience will be comforting to other patients going through the same procedure.

Anonymous gave Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Miscarriage Experience

I was pregnant and attended the hospital in August for a 12 week scan as I had some spots of blood. The sonographer was sympathetic in telling me that the baby had probably died. She said to return in a week to confirm but if I experienced heavy bleeding to phone. I experienced heavy bleeding 3 days later (saturday) and phoned the number provided but was told this number was not for out of hours use. The bleeding stopped so I left it. The following night I woke in pain and the heavy bleeding re-started. After an hour my husband rang for an ambulance which took me to RSCH. The nurse was supportive but when the doctor finally saw me, he was verging on rude and said I shouldn't have gone and should go home. No-one had warned me how heavy the bleeding would be and when I asked how I would know when to come hospital he responded if I felt faint I should come in but actually if I felt faint it was probably too late so I should come in before that. I'm at a loss what I should have done or why the ambulance drove me over 20 miles for no reason. I had 3 ultrasound scans for my miscarriage and found the waiting room full of posters about support for twins/mulitple births extremely insensitive. The poster about "we were here, where were you" also annoyed me during the long waits. If such a huge proportion of people miss their hospital appointments then why can't the hospital run on time?

Visited in August 2013. Posted on 15 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Horrible

I went to the A & E departed as I was having chest pains and dizziness. When arriving at the front desk the 2 staff completely ignored me for a good 5-10 minutes and carried on talking about their personal lives. Feeling already anxious and near to passing out. The staff member was rude and uncaring it seemed. When waiting for test results all I heard was a woman screaming in the background.

Never again will I go back there. Extremely fearful of hospitals now.

Visited in January 2014. Posted on 15 January 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 15 January 2014

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience with us.

We are really keen to look into this further and would really appreciate it if you could email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net with your contact details and the date and time you visited A&E so that we can investigate.