Want to help us improve NHS Choices?

Find out more and sign up to our user research panel

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Oncology - Medical at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care of my Dad

I was impressed with my Dads care in intensive care and in the Compton Ward. All staff were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. (Much better than another local hospital!)
The "what could happen talk" prior to his op was a bit too scary for him, but the Consultant did apologise that it had to happen afterwards.
My mum also needed to visit A & E during this period & they too were quick, helpful & efficient in a time of emergency.
Overall an excellent service to two elderly, vulnerable people . Thank you

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 31 March 2015

Good morning,

We are glad you had a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site. I have passed your comments onto the relevant department so that they can share your comments with the staff. I hope both your parents are recovering well.

Ann Jacobs gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Bramshott ward

The staff on this ward demonstrated team work. Each and everyone of the day staff oozed enthusiasm for their chosen profession which in turn rubbed off on the patients. Their cheerful greeting in the morning instantly made me feel better, of course I was not ill but recovering from a hip replacement. When you have had a bad night and movement restricted there is a tendency to feel low. To be greeted by staff who showed a genuine desire to do their best for each patient was just the tonic required. This attitude helped the patients in the ward to gel together and so offer encouragement and help to each other. The visits of the phiysios also demonstrated a high level of regard for all of us. I was very impressed indeed and wish to say Thank You for a 5* service.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 04 April 2015

Good morning,

We are delighted that you had such a positive experience despite undergoing a hip procedure and that our staff's presence alone made you feel better. This is great news and i will be sure to pass your kind words onto the department to share amongst colleagues.

I hope you make a speedy recovery.

William Arnold gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Stitches in thumb

I cut my thumb last night, realised that it would not stop bleeding unless I had something done so I made my way to the hospital with my girlfriend the next day.
When I was seen they made the decision that steri strips would suffice instead of stitching. I am very pleased that it has stopped bleeding and that has all been cleaned and bandaged up. The nurse that treated me was very professional and reassured me of what to do with aftercare.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 23 March 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback, I have passed this onto the A&E team to share amongst colleagues.

I hope you thumb is on the mend!

Caroline Binks gave Colorectal cancer services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Colonoscopy

I just wanted to thank all the staff on the Endoscopy department for the kind and efficient way in which my colonoscopy was handled today March 17th. Everyone took time to answer my questions and put my fears at rest. Thank-you for the very good care you took of me.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 17 March 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. We're glad you had a positive experience. We will pass your message onto the correct department to share among colleagues.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Chaotic Discharge..

How is discharge suppose to work? Coordination with GP, community and social services would seem like a good place to start. How about enough meds to get through 24 hours, how about a discharge letter for my Mother so I can read it. Or you could just turf her out in the hope that the bright young son is going to pick up the pieces.

Your current systems to not fail safe, you rely upon relatives filling in the gaps, reminding your staff what they need to do. There is no excuse for not getting these simple things right, I know they are receptive and no doubt boring tasks that you clearly can't be bothered to get right. So how can any of us be sure you get the hard things right. I would not be surprised if my Mother bounces back in in a few weeks time because her GP will do nothing until some acute situation develops and round we go again.

You could do a great deal better than this, but I worry that your leadership is focussed on something other than the patient. I don't really expect to hear from you because you don't respond to feedback.. But I will write to the CQC.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 19 March 2015

Good morning,

We are sorry to hear that you and your mother have had a less then satisafctory experience. Please could we ask that you email us on rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net so that we can look into this further.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you for an excellent service. Well done.

I was recently taken to A+E by ambulance one morning. From the moment the Paramedics arrived at our house I was treated with concern, kindness and dignity. This continued in both A+E, where I was immediately seen on arrival, and in the Emergency Assessment Unit where I spent around 16 hours before I was discharged. Every one of your staff I met was absolutely lovely, from the Porters to the Cleaners to the Nurses to the Doctors and the Consultant who gave me and my husband over 2 hours of their time. Thank you to everyone for your positive, non-judgemental attitude and the consideration and respect I felt treated with. I have only ever once spent time in another A+E, following a meal out with my Sister at a well-known Pub Chain Restaurant when our drinks were spiked and I collapsed on the way home. I was made to feel it was my fault and asked by a nurse upon being discharged if I was ashamed of myself, despite the fact that tests had shown I had drugs in my system that I hadn't taken and there had been a reaction between them and Prescription Medication. My GP and I wrote a letter of complaint and it was denied that any of their staff would have behaved in such an unprofessional manner. No complaints about your hospital whatsoever. Incidentally, I was watching James Martin's 'Operation Hospital Food' this morning which was what inspired me to leave this review. I eat a very healthy diet but I never expected that the first time I would encounter Edamame Beans would be on a delicious, freshly prepared, Pasta and Mackerel Salad. Thank you from me and my husband. For everything. Well done. We like to give credit where credit's due. Please pass this on to your staff.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is great to hear that you had such a positive experience and we will share your feedback with the staff in A&E.

minor injuries unit excellent

I was seen very promptly and was delighted with the service. Everyone was helpful, friendly and efficient. very satisfactory indeed. thank you!

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 04 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Ali Hales gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E

Hi I came into the A&E department on Thursday the 3rd visit in 2 weeks and was seen by a member of staff who truly is credit to your hospital and department. I was quiet scared and upset by what is happening to me and this person was calm, understanding and very reassuring. They came down to my level to talk to me and didn't just talk at me like some of the other doctors. They made sure I understood what was happening and that I was ok. They also made sure to include my mum as she had come in with me. This member of staff was very thorough and made sure when I left I was ok.

Having stayed in 2 wards the last week and still needing further tests I was very concerned to be back. This person and the other staff in A&E were fantastic.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 07 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Ann Jacobs gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy unit

Today i had to visit the Endoscopy unit for a gastro procedure. The staff on the welcome desk made me feel that I was important and not just another number. Both were so cheerful (time 10.40am)
Next I was greeted by a staff nurse who welcomed me and led me to the preparatory room. What a charming nurse, very open and caring and extremely professional. The nurse explained all the necessary procedures to me and made sure I was comfortable at all times. The star in the theatre too were most caring in a very quiet manner, sorry I do not have names. I was introduced to the consultant who also greeted me professionally.
I had sedation and afterwards the nurse came to give me the results. So impressed to be given all the information before leaving the hospital. The nurse rang my husband to come and collect.
All the staff in the patients lounge were friendly and helpful.

Although feeling poorly this level of support and care made me feel a whole lot better and I would recommend anyone to use this hospital. A wonderful experience.
I also feel the housekeeping staff should be awarded some recognition as this hospital always is clean.
Well done to all at the Royal Surrey County Hospital

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 09 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Susie gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

What a wonderful Hospital

I visited the RSCH on Tuesday of this week for Pre-Op assessment appointments. My appointments were on time and the staff I saw for my appointments were very courteous and professional and caring. Everything was explained in detail, and I feel very reassured about my forthcoming operation. The member of staff I saw was lovely, calming and put me at ease with everything they explained. They have also been a pillar of strength prior to me , and was always just a call away If I needed any questions answered. Another member of staff who I also saw on the day was lovely too. I would definitely recommend the RSCH to anyone who is wondering about having treatment there. Well done everyone.

Visited in March 2015. Posted on 11 March 2015

Good morning,

We are delighted that you had such a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to write a review. This is great news and I will be sure to pass your kind words onto the department to share amongst colleagues.