Can you help us improve NHS Choices?

Take part in our survey to share your views

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Jill Green gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A Caring Hospital

I recently had a gall-bladder removal and Endoscopy procedure at the Royal Surrey and would like to say a huge thank you to all the staff who dealt with me in both of these fantastic units. I was very anxious about the whole procedure and, if the recent press were to be believed, I was going to receive a negative experience. How wrong this turned out to be! I met nothing but kindness, patience, professionalism, empathy and a first-rate quality of care. All aspects of my hospital stay seemed to flow like a very, well-oiled machine and I honestly can say that I was very impressed.Thank you for providing this online opportunity and hopefully some of my gratitude might reach some of the professionals who treated me.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 April 2015

Good morning,

We are delighted that you had such a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to write a review. This is great news and i will be sure to pass your kind words onto the department to share amongst colleagues.

I hope you are recovering well.

Richard Putnam gave Physiotherapy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Occupational Therapy Outpatients

I was extremely satisfied with the support and treatment given to me after an operation for Dupuytrens contracture on my left hand. All the therapists I encountered were very pleasant, competent, always on time and extremely helpful in getting my hand working again. Nothing I presented was too much trouble.
I would certainly recommend this department to friends and family if the need arose.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 02 April 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback. We're glad you had a positive experience. We will pass your message onto the correct department to share among colleagues.

Anonymous gave Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Kindness and efficient co-operation

My elderly father, aged nearly 90 was recently admitted to Leigh Ward, E Surrey Hospital, with terminal cancer. The staff on the ward were all kind and helpful to him. I was trying to arrange swift discharge to a suitable nursing home for him . Staff were quick to assist, efficient in processing the referrals, assessment etc, so we could move my father to a nursing home within just a week. Special thanks to the Palliative Care Team, and the doctor . Much appreciated.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 03 April 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback. I have shared your comments with our colleagues at East Surrey Hospital.

Anonymous reviewed Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital

Thank You - wonderful team!

To the staff at A and E and Clandon Ward, thank you very much for your wonderful care and attention to my son Daniel who you treated on Saturday.

Daniel came to A and E with a badly broken jaw. He was quickly assessed and admitted for surgery performed within 7 hours of us arriving and promptly "released" home the next morning by 10.30 am, notwithstanding a bank holiday weekend!

We are very grateful for the wonderful standard of care he received and for the manner we were treated by all your staff. From the triage nurse, the doctor who kept popping back, the kind ward staff and even the surgeon who took time out to introduce themself, you delivered an entirely excellent service for which you deserve to be praised.

That's exactly why people know our health service as the best in the world!

Well done and thank you so much from Daniel and his family. Please pass this message on to your team so that they know they are appreciated.

Kind regards John.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 08 April 2015

Good morning John,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such lovely feedback, we're glad you had such a positive experience. I hope Daniel is recovering well.

I have passed your feedback onto the A&E and Cl;andon Teams to share with the staff.

Thank you once again.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

5 hours later..

I arrived at the A&E department at about 9pm, and after waiting for about an hour I was seen by a nurse, who partially assessed me. I was then asked to wait to see the doctor. After hours of waiting, I was called at about 1.45am, only to be greeted with a rude and abrupt tone. They did nothing further to assess me that the nurse did not do, but instead spoke in a tone which I would describe as aggressive about guidelines and how, although I had waited for 5 hours, I could not have simply been given a leaflet by the nurse and told to use my own discretion as to whether seeing the doctor was necessary. There were at least 3 others in the waiting room who must have waited for the same period of time as myself. Furthermore, the nurses clearly struggled with english, constantly confusing patients' surnames and calling several times when the patients were clearly getting up already. The floor was covered in some kind of liquid that resembled urine. I completely respect the RSCH, and would normally rate it as an excellent hospital, but tonight I have been let down by the A&E department. I can only put this down to pressure on the NHS due to government policy, but something has to be done.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 16 April 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a very positive experience and were unhappy with the care you received. We take all feedback seriously and would like to look into this further. Please could you contact us via email on rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net so that we can obtain more details?

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E and Hascombe ward

Extremely happy with the way the staff cared for my son, helped us and kept us informed and consulted. Everyone was very kind, the hospital was extremely clean and the meals my son was served were excellent. The entire experience from initial A&E visit to sorting out the parking on exit was as smooth as possible. Although we hope not to be using the facilities again soon we feel privileged to have this on our doorstep.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 19 April 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 20 April 2015

Good afternoon,

We are glad you had a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site. I have passed your comments onto the Matron of Hascombe Ward so that they can share your comments with the staff.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding all round!

I have now had two visits to this particular hospital and have to say that both my husband and I have been so impressed ,with not only the fantastic treatment and facilities I have had so far, but the amazing,happy,friendly staff we have met. I'm actually looking forward to going back for my op! Well done everyone, you are doing a great job!

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 21 April 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 23 April 2015

We are delighted that you had such a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope all goes well with your operation and recovery.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

4 year old with a broken arm

When my four year old had an accident at the local park we brought her to A&E at the Royal Surrey. She was seen more or less straight away, x-ray'd shortly after and had a cast fitted not long after that. All the way through the staff spoke to her about what had happened, what was happening and why as well as reassuring her (and fitting a cast to her toy bear).

We were incredibly impressed by the team and the way they dealt with us... in the grand scheme of things I'm sure that this was a fairly run of the mill accident but for us it was quite traumatic. The team could not have done more to make our daughter and us feel better.

This is the second time we've had to come to A&E with one of our children and we consider ourselves very fortunate to live in an area where emergency care is delivered to such a high standard.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 21 April 2015

Good morning,

We are sorry to hear that your daughter injured herself, but are delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience in our A&E department. I have passed your comments onto the A&E Matron to share with the team. I hope your daughter is recovering well.

Margaret gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thanks for excellent service

Having been admitted at short notice last week, I was so impressed with the service and care I received at the Royal Surrey. My appendicitis was diagnosed very promptly, including the use of a CT scan done in the early hours of the morning, I was admitted to the Short Stay Surgical Unit and was operated on several hours later. I cannot praise all the staff I met highly enough. They were both caring and friendly as well as providing a first class service. At a time when the NHS comes in for a great deal of criticism, it is good to know such pockets of excellence exist.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 22 April 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 23 April 2015

I hope you are recovering well from your appendicitis. It's always great to hear when our patients have a very positive experience as this is what our staff aim for. I will pass on your feedback as I'm sure they will be delighted to hear it. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Emergency eye clinic appointment

Having seen my optician who diagnosed posterior vitreous detachment I was referred for urgent care. I was seen the following morning by the Consultant within 5 minutes or arrival. After an initial check, they put drops in & then examined the eye again, diagnosing a retinal tear. They said this needed to be treated without delay & took me round to another room where they provided laser surgery to my eye. All completed within 1 hour of arrival. All staff & care excellent. Couldn't have asked for more & very grateful. Follow up reviews have been done & all is looking good

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 05 June 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 05 June 2015

Good afternoon,

We are glad you had a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site. I have passed your comments onto the eye clinic so that they can share your comments with the staff.