Check here for alerts

Royal Surrey County Hospital

01483 571122 Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road , Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX

Lisbeth reviewed Royal Surrey County Hospital

radiotherapy treatment at Royal Surrey County Hospital

I recently found I had breast cancer and having had a lumpectomy at Frimley Park Hospital - their team is amazing - I was referred to St. Lukes which is the cancer part of the Royal Surrey Hospital in Guildford. I found the radiotherapists at St Lukes quite exceptional, very professional and caring and always smiling even when they were running late having had computer failures. They made a rather daunting experience very bearable and I cant thank them enough. Both the care at Frimley Park Hospital and Royal Surrey was the NHS working at its very highest. I felt safe in their hands. Thank you

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 28 July 2016 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Head of Communications and Marketing, Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 01 August 2016

Dear Lisbeth,
Here at Royal Surrey County Hospital we are incredibly proud of our staff who always strive to provide the best care anywhere.
Please be assured that I will pass your message on to to the team in St Luke's, who I know will be delighted to receive it.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Patient Opinion Logo

Roger Gabriel gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

High marks for hip replacement at RSCH

New hip on 7th June: for the first time for 3+ years pain-free walking. Informative and well organised out-patient visits x 3. Very well organised and almost enjoyable immediate pre-anaesthetic management. Comfy in Recovery. Kindly looked after in Bramshott Ward - staff generoous with pain relief. Home in 4 days. Fully mobile in 3 weeks. All matters went well in this routine and very well delivered surgical service. I have ample confidence in all staff members who delivered a very high level product. I would be content to receive any other orthopaedic proceedure from the surgeon and staff. Very many thanks.

Visited in June 2016. Posted on 11 August 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 15 August 2016

Dear Mr Gabriel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I will pass your comments on to the teams involved in your care.

With best wishes.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Experience in A+E, ICU and General - 30 May - 13 June 2016

My husband entered A+E by ambulance, I followed by car. En route, a doctor called me to discuss what I had sent with him re his current med, ie med for Nephrotic Syndrome and Waldenstrom's... On arrival I witnessed a hive of activity and discussions. Shortly, thereafter I was advised to depart because he needed to be strapped down and 'knocked-out'. The doctors gave me the impression they had all in hand. Thanks to the team who assured me they would do their best. The doctors all introduced themselves and their various disciplines, what a team of experts.
The following day I found him in ICU with Meningitis. Again, a terrific team appeared to be attending to him. Several days later he was in ICU General. Again, the treatment was terrific.
A while later he was in General, Millbridge Ward. Service reasonable, some staff so pleasantly cheerful, daily routine doctors only had time to deal with a max 10 minute patient/doc discussion, bathroom quickly turned unhygienic due to the mess left by patients, although I think the bathroom could do with an upgrade. Fortunately my husband was permitted to use the disabled bathroom late at night which he really appreciated.
I do however have one issue to raise, my husband had a catheter for a few days. He is not circumcised and when the catheter was removed, he found his foreskin very difficult to retract and clean. Could this be a case of the staff not willing to pull back the foreskin during their bathing routine? Well, it is better now. Given the majority of men today are circumcised, maybe staff could be told that those not, still need to have their private parts.
Many thanks for the good treatment offered by RSH, my husband is recovering slowly, as expected.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 21 June 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 04 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. I am pleased to read that you felt your husband was well looked after both in A&E and ICU. I note your comments concerning the bathroom and the issues with you husband's catheter. Please be assured that your message has been shared with the relevant personnel and I know that they will take your points on board. We take all concerns extemely seriously and if you would like us to investigate your husband's care further please email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Poor care and no follow up!

My sister was admitted to the RSCH as an emergency in May. Pain relief was inadequate as was the information given. Following surgery some 45 hours after being admitted, the discharge the following day was appalling being sent home with alternative pain killers to the CD drugs that had been given whilst an inpatient. Also being little more than 12 hours from having abdominal surgery she had to walk to the main entrance from Elstead Ward. No advice and no follow up calls where received and three days later an infection. Terrible care.

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 20 June 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 04 July 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. We strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am disappointed to read that in this occasion we appear to have not delivered this. Please be assured that all complaints and concerns are taken extremely seriously and as such our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience has already been alerted to your message. We would like to investigate your sister's experience with us and in order for us to do this we would ask that she emails us directly at rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net. In the meantime, your feedback has been passed to the relevant personnel.

One Bad Apple!

Arrived with referral from GP following emergency late pm appointment ,concerned and in some pain.
Taken to curtained off cubicle. Two doctors introduced themselves and upon exam,intimate but done in respectful manner explained X Ray would be needed. After short wait taken by friendly porter to X Ray where radiologist was friendly and professional.
A different doctor ,on my return, informed me that an anemona was required, although not pleasant I accepted this was necessary.
The nurse then proceeded to administer this,at which point my husband stepped outside the cubicle...I was given a call button and told to press this once things began.
All the time I was aware of 3 young people in the next cubicle who were very loud, swearing and having crude conversations.I became uncomfortable,as
I did not want to be their next topic of hilarity,being only separated by a few feet and a paper curtain,they would undoubtedly hear and possibly smell! what had to follow. I pushed call button ,after some minutes asked in a quiet tone of voice if I could be moved to somewhere
else. Without comment they walked out. Oh My! I resisted going. Some time after a different nurse moved me , only giving me a sheet to cover after asking ,leaving me in a different cubicle without even pulling curtains! I had to call for these to be closed and by now felt
Tearful and humiliated. The first nurse when I said how I felt patronisingly told me that I should expect these circumstances and called me by the wrong name, smiling as they did so.Really? Can a patient not expect a modicum of privacy and dignity?
I was admitted to a ward where the surgical doctor on call was amazingly good.
I asked if I could go home.They understood.
The next day I was in a bad way. Maybe I should have stayed.
My treatment was medically correct.The staff were mostly excellent,except for this one nurse
Who needs to be trained to have more respect for their patients dignity.
I will have to be near death to be ill treated by that individual again.

Humiliated

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 20 May 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 20 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. We strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we appear not to have delivered this. All complaints and concerns are taken extremely seriously and as such our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience has been alerted to your message. We would like to investigate the incidents that you have highlighted. In order for us to do this please could you email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net. In the meantime, your feedback has been noted and passed to the relevant personnel.

micky mouse gave Cardiology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

worst hospital

worst hospital going staff don't care including dr very arrogant person I was taken into this hospital for angina they sent me out next day this hospital used to be good but not now go to east surrey redhill its like a hotel there

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 24 May 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 26 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. Our patients are at the centre of everything we do and we strive to deliver a very high standard of care for all. I am disappointed that on this occasion we appear not to have achieved this. All complaints and concerns are taken extremely seriously. Could you please email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net, so that we can investigate your experience. In the meantime, your feedback has been noted and passed onto the relevant members of staff.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Childrens A and E service

I would like to thank the staff in the Children's A and E and the Dr in the maxillofacial department of the hospital, for being so efficient and looking after my son so well, after he had an accident at a birthday party and cut his lip deeply, requiring stiches.

We were seen very quickly and the Dr in Maxillofacial was excellent. Once he was referred to this doctor I expected to be waiting for her for some time, but they were able to come and see him straight away and they really put him at ease and had a lovely manner with him - I wish I had got their name!

I was very pleased with how quickly we were seen and how the staff treated my son. Happily he has healed very quickly and the Dr did an excellent job stitching his lip up!

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 26 May 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 27 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write and thank the staff who looked after your son. Having stitches in his lip must have been a very daunting experience for him, so I delighted that our staff were able to put him at ease and that he is now recovering well. I have passed your message on to all of the departments mentioned in your message and I know they will be delighted to receive it. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Annette Stone gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First ever operation experience

I had my first ever operation yesterday (1st in 47 years, not bad going!). Had keyhole day surgery. So impressed and thankful to all the staff, who made my first experience go so smoothly. I was so nervous and scared and all the staff were so caring and kind.

My gratitude & thanks to all.

Annette x

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 27 May 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 27 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write and thank the staff who looked after you. Coming into hospital for surgery can be a very daunting experience, so I am very pleased to read that our staff were able to put you at ease. Please be assured that I will pass your message on to the day surgery team and I know they will be delighted to receive your feedback. Once again, thank you for your message.

Julie clark gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling visit to a&e after a referral from our hospital

After my son had an accident involving a golf club to his face at school we quickly were taken out our local hospital Frimley Park Hospital. There it was discussed and decided by senior members of the paediatric team he would be referred to max facs at Guildford. After finally getting into the building due to one very complicated parking/pay and display we had to register. This was due to him never been there before which we had no need. We had a letter for the consultant who was already expecting my son. By the time we got seen by just a nurse he was in alot of pain still. He had been given paracetamol earlier but we asked for something else on arrival. The specialist who eventually came down in all honesty was a waste of time. Didn't read the letter. Ignored his pain and still proceeded to examine him. Then even though over the phone from our consultants at Frimley it was deemed needed to be stitched under ga/sedation due to behaviour problems she sent him home. He could not eat for 3 days and the wound even though we and other Dr raised concerns of infection was left.... he now has a nasty infection in it us it's still not fully healing and is misshapen. One hospital I will be steering clear of in future. One thing poor treatment for an adult but a child is another thing

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 31 May 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 01 June 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, which is always gratefully received. We always strive to provide the very best care for all our patients and I am disappointed to read that on this occasion we appear not to have achieved this. Here at the Royal Surrey all complaints and concerns are taken very seriously and as such our Director of Nursing and Patient Experience has been made aware of your feedback. In order for us to investigate your experience and discuss your son's treatment with you please could you email rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net. In the meantime, please be assured that your feedback has been noted and passed to the Oral and Maxillofacial Department.

Wendy Oakland reviewed Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital

A&E department excellent

I visited the department yesterday afternoon and although I was there for almost five hours once I made the first step for treatment I couldn't praise it highly enough. All the staff were efficient and friendly and the ultra sound department stayed open for me when I arrived 10minutes after they should have closed. The ultra sound doctor was excellent and the consultant could not have been more helpful dashing around getting all the relevant test results so that I could leave a soon as possible. I was even offered a cup of tea. Thank A& E

Visited in May 2016. Posted on 01 June 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 02 June 2016

Thank you for going to the trouble of writing to thank the staff who looked after you. We are incredible proud of the team in A&E, who always strive to provide the best care anywhere. Please be assured that your message will be passed on. Once again, thank you for your feedback.