Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

The Special Care Baby Unit

Both clinical and non clinical staff at the Special Baby Care Unit are magnificent. My grandson is currently in the unit and I cannot fault his care. Thank you to all of the staff there.
My only comment, and it really isn't a complaint, more an observation, is that parents spend long hours sitting at the cot side or next to their child's incubator. It is unfortunate that there is not a single comfortable chair in the unit and all the chairs are of the upright dining chair type. I recently visited the cardiac catheter unit at Frimley Park Hospital and they have easy clean comfortable armchairs for patients. I understand that room is limited but there must be something available which would make 12 hours of sitting with your child more comfortable. Even mothers feeding their babies seem to do so in upright, hard backed chairs. Perhaps comfortable seating for the parents may be considered, even if not for the visitors.

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and your grandson received excellent care at the Royal Surrey.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Andrew Partridge gave Dermatology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Message to the doctor and his team

Dear Doctor,

Further to my appointment last week I would like to express my appreciation to yourself and your team for the high quality and promptness of the care given. I appreciate that due to the lymphoma I experienced two years ago it was not easy to track whether and where the melanoma found last January might have migrated.

Because of the extent of scans and biopsies undertaken I have every confidence that the absence of progression shown is a well-founded diagnosis and that this treatment along with that received at East Surrey Hospital has been successful. I feel very privileged to have been successfully treated for three cancers and am able to enjoy life with my five young grandchildren when this could so easily have become complicated and cut short.

Many thanks.

Andrew Partridge

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 18 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are very pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey alongside East Surrey Hospital.

We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved.

Best wishes
Royal Surrey County Hospital

Marilyn Brummitt gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Sincere thanks

I would be grateful if you would pass on my sincere thanks to the staff in A&E, the doctor and his team together with all the nursing and auxillary staff on Ewhurst Ward who looked after me after I fell off my bicycle on Saturday 28 June breaking my wrist. I was treated with the utmost care and consideration by everyone during my stay who I came into contact with and cannot thank them all enough. I am sure their kindness has helped me with my speedy recovery. I am back in Chesterfield now and will be attending our Royal hospital next week for my follow up appointment.

Marilyn Brummitt

Visited in June 2014. Posted on 14 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It is pleasing to hear that you received great care at the A&E department. I have passed on your feedback to our A&E matron, to ensure that the team on duty get the recognition they deserve.

Thanks again, we hope you are recovering well.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Clive Chard gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Excellent medical/surgical attention, however...

the ward staff appeared to be under pressure and therefore did not give the attention I felt as a patient I needed.

Food... cold and inedible.

On my discharge paper it states "living alone - No" when in fact I do live alone.

Main lighting in the ward was too bright and wasn't switched off until approx 11pm.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 27 May 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

EF-B gave Physiotherapy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent customer care

My daughter has been receiving physiotherapy over several months.

I would like to commend the terrific physiotherapy service - she was fantastic with my daughter (aged 10 when she started physio), explaining all processes to her in such a way that my daughter never had to query what was going on or why certain exercises were important.

Most importantly, however, was the thoughtfulness shown by the physiotherapist when she knew that either myself or my husband would struggle to take time off work to attend the hospital with our daughter. At our last appointment she was going on a course, but rather than reschedule our appointment (at 8.30am) she came in to treat my daughter before going on her course because she knew how difficult it was for us to take time off work.

This, more than anything, shows a very caring, thoughtful person, who considers the patient holistically. This, to me, is excellent patient care. I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to her for this. I realise that what she did wasn't 'life-saving', but sometimes good care is just about acknowledging the wider circumstances of the patient and taking this into account.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 28 May 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It is great to hear that your daughter received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. It is also pleasing to hear that one of our physiotherapist's helped to make your daughter's experience as good as it could be and went above and beyond the call of duty to deliver exceptional care.

I have passed your kind comments to the Physiotherapy department to ensure that they get the recognition they deserve.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care accross the board

I would like to commend the Royal Surrey County Hospital on the excellent care that I received during three recent admissions.

I was cared for in A&E, EAU, Elstead ward, main theatres, EPU and day surgery.

During all of this time I had contact with a very large number of hospital staff all of whom were compassionate, hard working and very thorough. I have the misfortune of having some long term health problems which has meant that I have had contact with numerous healthcare staff over many years in different settings. Whilst I have previously had excellent care elsewhere, it is unusual to have had such positive experiences across the board in one setting and RSCH should be proud of the care that it is providing.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 28 May 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is great to hear that you received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your kind comments to the relevant teams to ensure that they get the recognition they deserve.

We hope you are recovering well.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Monica gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Just thanks, but the Pharmacy lets you down

I too like the other user must mention the appalling delay in obtaining my medicines from pharmacy on my discharge. I was asked to leave the ward asap which was very inconvenient to my husband who was going to collect me (1.5 hrs journey) but he eventually managed to change his plans and drive up, only for me to wait fully dressed for 2 hours on the ward for my discharge papers to be supplied. When we went to the discharge room were told that a further 2 hours was needed for the medication to be prepared, what, one minute you want us out asap and then we have to suffer this wait, I thought initially the lady on reception was joking, and she suggested I mention this to PALS which my husband did, only to be told that this awful wait was no exception. I should also add that a girl had been waiting since 7.30 for an ambulance to take her home that morning also.
Could not a list of meds that a patient requires be sent to the pharmacy earlier so the meds and the patient leaving be married together?

Having said this I cannot thank you enough for the treatment and care and attention you gave me during my recent set of procedures and whilst I am not looking forward to my large operation in June I can say that I will feel safe and secure with all the lovely staff I have already met.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 20 May 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 21 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We're sorry to hear of the delay in receiving your medicines from the pharmacy. We will pass your feedback to the pharmacy team for their consideration and improvement of the service provided.

On a positive note, it is pleasing to hear that you received great care and attention at the Royal Surrey.

Dave Maw gave Urology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Radiotherapy treatment for Prostate cancer

I have recently completed 22 days of radiotherapy for prostate cancer. I was very impressed with the efficient service and kindness of the various staff I met, particularly the members of the LA3 team. If possible, please pass on my comments to their Head of Dept.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 02 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

CRS Graham gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment for melanoma cancer

I was recently referred to the Maxillofacial Department and could not have been given greater care than I received from the doctor and her staff. She was exceptionally caring and empathic, explaining every procedure and maintaining constant communication at every step through the excellent services of her secretary. I also had contact with a number of people in the radiology department whilst having various scans and procedures and there too I was given excellent service and care. The elective surgery unit, whilst never an enjoyable experience, was made easier by the attention of the staff. If my experiences are an indication of how Royal Surrey County Hospital is run it can be proud of its staff and the service it offers to the public

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 07 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Peter Bennett reviewed Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital

Don't go on a weekend.

Gyno Dept staffed by trainee GP who totally mis- diagnosed and just went home on sat/sun despite being told of the medical emergency.
No ultrasound available to determine clinical need...
Only get ultrasound exam if clinical need determined!

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 19 October 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.