Royal Surrey County Hospital

Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

chrissy gave Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

chest infection

I phoned n h s 111 the person that took the call was very helpful. The person made an appointment to see a doctor at royal surrey guildford the doctor gave me antibiotics.From phoning n h s 111 to seeing a doctor took 1hr what fantastic service thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 06 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback, we are glad to hear that you had such a positive experience.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent in all departments

Sadly I have had to visit hospital a few times over the past 18 months, however delighted that it was The Royal Surrey County hospital in Guildford. Consultants, nurses, X-ray, short stay surgery unit, day surgery unit, assessment clinic, occupational therapy units on every occasion were nothing short of excellent. all staff polite and professional and displayed a genuine desire to be the best they can. The only waiting time is in X-ray but not for more than 20 minutes. Assessment clinic can be busy but each time I made an appointment rather than wait around. When you turn up for the booked appointment you are seen as soon as you have filled in the necessary paperwork. Although I have visited several departments I will tick the most relevant at the moment. I am having a hip replacement shortly and everyone is most reassuring and I have complete faith in the consultant and team.
Although I do have private insurance I have chosen to this hospital under the NHS for its reputation and cleanliness. I have not yet had an overnight stay but this is imminent. Not expecting brilliant food but this is the least of my concern. Top priority for me is excellent health care with truly caring and committed professionals. The NHS are always getting a bad press but then people are too keen to complain and not so keen to give praise. Well you have the big thumbs up from me. Well done

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 07 March 2015

Good afternoon,

Sorry to hear that you have needed to visit us so often, but we are delighted that you have had such positive experiences whilst you were here. I will endeavour to pass your comments onto all those you mention. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Trevor Adams gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 3 stars

My short stay in A+E and EAU

A few weeks ago now I had to be taken to A+E as I was taken ill whilst on a trip to Surrey some 70 miles from home, the waiting to be seen time was fairly minimal and the A+E staff and treatment could not be faulted, in the evening I was admitted to the emergency admisions unit for the night and some of the next day where I was first seen by a dual nationality care worker (using a temporary pin no) they tried to fill in a form with my details starting with my name, I have a very ordinary English name and I speak very clearly but despite this, including slowly spelling my name there was no way they could understand and so I suggested they passed the form to my visitor friend who the completed the form for them.
As I had been given Digoxin that evening I had to have an ECG at 4 o,clock next morning, at the allotted time the above mentioned member of staff arrived with an ECG machine and spent some time fumbling around with the cables without managing to connect any of them to the contacts already stuck on me from a previous test, they quite clearly had no idea at all how to work the machine and left the room, they returned later with another care assistant and between them they managed after some five or six attemps to get some sort of a reading on the graph sheet.
In due course another member of staff came in and started to read out to me the breakfast menu, ticking off my various choices, half way through they said in a strong accent something that I understood to be "Apple strudel", which after some questioning and head scatching on my part I found they actually said "Haveyoudoneapoostoolsample?".
I`ve had many a laugh from the latter since but these things could lead to quite serious mistakes, And by the way I can usually understand regional and foreign accents where most of my friends cant!.
I must stress I have absolutely nothing against workers from overseas and they are a much valued asset to this country but it is vital the good proper comunication can take place at all times between staff and patients.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 24 March 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback. We are pleased that in general you had a positive experience and I will pass the feedback you have provided onto the relevant team to look into.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Accident and Emergency

I was admitted on the 12th February with major burns having scalded myself with hot water.

I wanted to thank the entire team for their wonderful care and support, they reacted immediately cooling the burns, admistering pain relief, assessing the severity and ultimately sending me by ambulance to the burns unit at East Grinstead who are continuing to treat me.

The professional but empathetic way made all the difference to a very traumatic experience so I just wanted to acknowledge a great team who went out of their way to look after so many people that evening as it was incredible busy.

Kind regards and many many thanks

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 24 February 2015

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is great to hear that you had such a positive experience and we will share your feedback with the staff in A&E. Hopefully your are making a speedy recovery.

Sandra Cumming gave Rheumatology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Rheumatology and Medical Day Unit Experience

My recent experience of seeing one of the Rheumatology consultants and being referred on for treatment in the Medical Day Unit was excellent. Everything ran to time. Not only were all the staff efficient, they were all caring and kind. In a very busy environment they seem to manage to have enough time to support and reassure a somewhat nervous patient. I found the doctor so helpful - a good and convincing communicator. Their follow-up letter was sent promptly and I got a copy without having to ask. This was the NHS really delivering and staff deserve a lot of credit.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 16 February 2015

Good morning,

We are glad you had a positive experience and thank you for taking the time to post your comments on this site. I have passed your comments onto the relevant department so that they can share your comments with the staff. I hope you are recovering well.

Lorraine gave Oncology - Medical at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Treatment for Oral Cancer

My husband was diagnosed with secondary cancer in 2010, at the time the primary was undetectable. We were informed that there was a 50% chance of the primary appearing at a later stage and 4.5 years later that is exactly what happened. On both occasions the service we have received has been of a very high standard. Both clinical and non-clinical staff are unfailingly polite, helpful, welcoming and friendly while retaining a high level of professionalism. Information given to us orally, via leaflets and other paperwork has been excellent and as far as we can tell, nothing has been left out. Whenever there are delays everyone is kept well informed and updates on progress are given. All our questions have been answered with patience and clarity and nothing seems to be too much trouble for the obviously hard working staff whatever their occupational status. I cannot over- emphasise how particularly important these factors are. It is quite clear that the oncology services team have collaborated well, they seem to have thought of everything with the importance of the patient experience very much at the heart of all they do. All going well we are considering a move to Suffolk next year but not before thoroughly researching the cancer services available; if they don't match the Royal Surrey then we're staying put, that's how important everything that has been, and still is being done so wonderfully well is for us. Thank you all so much for taking such pride in your work.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 18 April 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 23 April 2015

We are delighted that you and your husband had such a positive experience despite the circumstances and that our helped with this. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. This is great news and i will be sure to pass your kind words onto the department to share amongst colleagues.

Anonymous gave Urology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Surgery after care

I have had a TURP operation at Surrey county Hospital 3yrs ago and till this day and every day I have been living in pain to the point where I am considering resigning my job.
The consultants have not helped me one bit, it would seem they try to get rid of patients asap to see the next. I am stuck in a never ending vicious cycle of delays between GP's and the hospital.
Therefore I cannot recommend anybody to attend this hospital even though the staff is ever so helpful, but this does not solve the problem.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 01 May 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 07 May 2015

Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on this site. We are sorry to hear that you did not have a very positive experience and were unhappy with the care you received. We take all feedback seriously and would like to look into this further. Please could you contact us via email on rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net so that we can obtain more details?

John Greenwood gave Oncology - Medical at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Radiotherapy and oncology

Writing on behalf of my wife Caroline, I should like to thank the oncology team under the doctor for their kindness as well as expertise in treating her. I should like to thank them for setting up Continuing Care support. And going back to the radiotherapy which my wife had in February and March, I should like to thank all the LA1 team in helping her through a gruelling procedure requiring a face mask and to commend in particular a few members of staff for their friendliness as well as their efficiency, and the member of staff for their kindness and consideration to Caroline even after she was admitted to Onslow Ward. Sadly Caroline died on 14 May in spite of all your efforts: such is cancer.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 20 May 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 26 May 2015

Good morning,

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your wife, Caroline, to cancer. I want to thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments at this hard time. I will pass your comments onto the Oncology Matron to circulate to those you have mentioned.

Gratelful123 reviewed Royal Surrey County Hospital

I was treated professionally, but with great compassion

I visited Haslemere walk in centre on Tuesday morning with a persistent nose bleed. This was the fourth bleed in 6 days, having never previously experienced nose bleed before, the previous three stopped after a few minutes of pressure on my nose. After being examined I was referred to the EN&T Team at Royal Surrey. I was seen by a lovely Dr. called Tess and her nurse colleague whose name I didn't get. I was treated professionally but with great compassion, my nose was packed and I had to spend the night on Clandon Ward. The HCA Jocelyn was great, as were all of the staff who dealt with me. Finally thanks to Dr. Josh who had the misfortune to have to remove the pack and sort me out for discharge.
There were others who helped me during my brief stay whose names I can't remember, but were no less helpful.
Thank you to you all!

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 19 February 2015 using Patient Opinion

Patient Opinion Logo

Royal Surrey County Hospital NHS Foundation Trust replied on 03 March 2015

Good afternoon,
Thank you for posting your positive comments, we are glad to hear that you have had such a positive experience. We will ensure that your comments are passed onto the department to share with the staff.

Patient Opinion Logo

Anne Bell gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent treatment in minor injuries unit

I attended with a suspected foot fracture. The receptionist was polite and efficient and answered all my questions thoroughly. After a short wait I was called through to the minor injuries unit by a nurse practitioner. She was professional, efficient, friendly and caring and listened carefully to my explanation of my injury and previous similar injury. I then went for an X-ray. I was seen almost immediately by a very polite and professional man and the xray process was quick and efficient. After a short wait I was seen again by the nurse practitioner who explained my injury, offered to show me the X-rays and those of my previous injury and dressed my foot to enable me to go home. She also made an appointment for the following few days with the fracture clinic. Throughout this experience I felt respected and in professional hands.

I did feel a little vulnerable in the A and E waiting area as anyone could come off the street and into the hospital especially as people coming in and out were looking around and were nearly bashing into my injured foot. Can I suggest a separate cordoned off area for people with obvious injuries with only one companion rather than allowing patients with a large entourage to be in the same area.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 21 February 2015

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 02 March 2015

Good afternoon,

I hope you are recovering well from your injury. It's always great to hear when our patients have a very positive experience as this is what our staff aim for. I will pass on your feedback as I'm sure they will be delighted to hear it. Wishing you a speedy recovery.