Telephone: 01483 571122
Address: Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
Website: http://www.royalsurrey.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Dermatology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible consultant behaviour

Consultant peremptory, brusque, unfriendly, rude, unhelpful; off-putting demeanour. Did not explain diagnosis, or give options, or give recommendations. Did not talk about prognosis or what to expect.

No information about prescription or any side effects.

Extremely disappointed and dissatisfied.

If experience repeated I shall make a formal complaint.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 02 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 03 July 2014

Please can you email us at rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net with your details so that we can look into this for you.

As an organisation we actively encourage an environment of continuous improvement. We value all feedback so that we can ensure that where there are opportunities to improve we act upon these.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Geoff Henman gave Cardiology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

my stay with you

On Mon 30 June at 7pm I was parked in Cobham services HGV park when I felt strong chest pains. I called an ambulance and was taken to Royal Surrey/Guildford.
From the moment I arrived ubtil the moment I left on July 2nd my treatment was superb.

I was treated in the intake area by a nurse who was wonderfully reassuring at a worrying time.

From there I was placed in ward 3 of the EAU and was looked after in a friendly, caring manner by all concerned.
The staff who looked after me mostly and were fantastic.

Thanks for making a worrying time easier for me.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 06 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

We are pleased to hear that you received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your comments to the team so that they get the recognition they deserve.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Never again

My daughter was rushed in to royal surrey earlier this week, by the ambulance service. My initial impressions of the hospital was okay, until I was greeted by a senior staff nurse. She was very rude and obnoxious. I'm a young parent and I feel that she used that against me as she was extremely judgemental. I was shoved into a cubicle with my daughter that looked like it hadn't been cleaned from the previous patient, it was absolutely disgusting. They only performed one set of observations on her, and when I was greeted by the doctor to discuss my daughter's condition, she wasn't very clear and her personal hygiene was much to be desired, she even picked her nose in front of me! When we were finally moved to the Hascombe Ward, I couldn't believe that I was in the same hospital. It was clean and the staff was very kind and helpful. However, in the time that we spent in the a&e department they were horrified to find one set of observations. I was horrified. I would rather call a taxi and go to Frimley Park!

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 06 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 07 July 2014

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with us. Please can you email us at rsc-tr.communications@nhs.net so that we can look into this in further detail.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Anonymous gave Urology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Water coolers

Please tell the staff of Castle outpatients that it is extremely unhygienic to fill personal water bottles from the water cooler machines. As far as I could see yesterday, staff were drinking water like it was going out of fashion, just filling time, backwards and forwards getting water . One person filled a large pink bottle from the machine.. surely the NHS could cut costs by getting rid of these expensive machines, they are totally unnecessary and staff should buy their own water.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 10 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital has not yet replied.

Patricia Robinson reviewed Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital

An unexpected stay

I cannot thank you all enough for the excellent care I received when admitted with a viral illness on 9th July 2014.
The staff were all so kind and efficient,and the care of the highest standard,I made a good recovery and soon returned home to Bristol.
As a retired nurse with 50 years experience I feel I am able to judge excellent care
Many thanks to the MAU

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and recieved excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Best wishes

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery unit

Excellent treatment very efficient. All staff were kind and respectful. I kbew exactly what was happening and when. My staff nurse was particularly good as was the nurse who admitted me. Another was bubbly and cheerful. The team seemed to work well together
The registrar while very informative and caring leant a little too far forward into my personal space when talking to me, just a small thing.

Only real problem was I found it difficult to find the unit.
There does not appear to be an option for the department I visited so it is in the title of the review and i have put gynaecoligy.as this was the nature of the operation.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 23 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Ross Connell gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gallstones and gallbladder removal

At the beginning of May 2014 I was admitted to the RSCH at midnight because of a severe stomach attributed to gallstones. All the staff concerned provided excellent treatment, particularly the paramedics and young male and female doctors who methodically authorised two X-rays (abdomen and chest) and a CT scan along with ECG. After 4 days on intravenous hydration and antibiotic drips I was discharged feeling much better with a gallbladder removal delayed to allow my symptoms to improve and also because I had booked a holiday abroad. The only hitch was the 4 hours it took for me to be discharged.

On 19/07/2014 I was admitted at 07:30 to the day surgery unit for laparoscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder. I was in the operating theatre at 08:30, in the recovery room at 12:00 and back in the ward shortly after. Prior to the operation both the surgeon and anaesthetist visited me and demonstrated good interpersonal skills as did all the pther health professionals involved in my stay. I was efficiently discharged at 08:00 the following morning having received my related medication at 07:30. That I was not discharged on the Saturday was due to my inability to urinate that day but all was OK by early Sunday so I thankfully avoided the need for a catheter. My request for the overnight stay caused no problems to the staff.

These incidences are my first experiences of extended hospital treatment and give me much confidence in the NHS and RSCH in particular.

Yours etc.,

Ross Connell (B.Sc, Ph.D)

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 24 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 07 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Best wishes
Royal Surrey County Hospital

Janice Hopwood gave Gynaecology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Short Stay Unit - an example of excellent quality of care

I was admitted to the SSU on 8th July for a Gynaecology procedure - Hystereoscopy. From my welcome check in to my discharge, the quality of care was to a very high standard. Having had a previously bad experience (not on this unit), I was extremely anxious - I suffer from White Coat Hypertension - yet the staff were reassuring and patient and did so much to allay my fears and calm me down, even though it was a busy morning for them. I was kept well-informed as to where I was on the operating list and staff are popping in and out keeping a check on you. You are in a comfortable bay with good facilities (a toilet to each bay) and your own locker by your bed. Prior to my procedure I was visited by my Consultant who explained everything to me. I was also visited by a Consultant Anaesthetist who talked me though some of my concerns (I usually feel sick after anaesthetic, but he assured me that "not with him" would I be sick). When it was time for my procedure once again the staff keep you well informed and make sure your details are checked not once, not twice, but three times! In the Anaesthetic Room the two-man anaesthetist team did much to help keep me calm and distracted, having a bit of a joke and chatting to me. I have to say it was actually a very good exerience, they were so lovely. When I came round in Recovery once again the staff were excellent. The nurse who was caring for me kept me informed of how I was doing and kept asking how I felt. I was initially on oxygen (everyone is), but I just felt very comfortable and chilled out. I was asked if I had any pain and all my observations were continuously monitored until I could be taken back to the ward. And No I didnt feel sick, not at all. In fact as soon as I got back to the ward my assigned Nurse asked if I wanted a nice cup of tea and some biscuits - very welcome. She checked on me a few times before declaring I could get up and walk around. There are tea making facilities on the ward so I was able to potter in and out to make drinks as I wanted. I was also offered a good selection of sandwiches or things like toast if I wanted. The Cheese and Tomato sandwich I had was of a very good standard. I was discharged with full instructions and letters for my own records. I was on the unit for just around 8 hours.
I also have to comment on the standards of cleanlines. The Unit was extremely well maintained and Housekeeping staff were ever-present throughout the wards. I had time to observe one of the Housekeeping Team cleaning my bay and he was thorough and when he had to clean around my area he was courteous and polite asking if I was OK with him cleaning around me. I could see that he was cleaning as it should be to maintain infection control standards (I work in a Hospice, so know how it should be done).
I have nothing but high praise for SSU. Anyone attending this ward should be reassured that their experience will be as good as it can get.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 09 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 10 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We aim to provide safe and high quality care delivered by compassionate and respectful staff. We are pleased to hear that you had a pleasant experience and received excellent care at the Royal Surrey. We will pass your feedback to all the areas involved so that staff receive the recognition they deserve.

Royal Surrey County Hospital

David Prince gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A Brilliant Hospital!

A&E checked me out for chest pain. Subsequently I was admitted as an outpatient for endoscopy and colonoscopy. The A&E and Endoscopy Unit staff were brilliant. I could not have had better treatment. The staff were caring, highly professional and competent. I was highly apprehensive about things beforehand but need not have worried. The experience was pain free and I relaxed as soon as they took me into their care.
Praise also for the outpatients appointments team who tracked down a referral and found it had stalled at my G.P. All this in the space of an hour during the late afternoon / evening!
A huge Thank You to everyone there.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 09 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 10 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital

Jane Doyle gave Accident and emergency services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Our experience of A&E on 04/07/14

My father was admitted to RS on the afternoon of 4 th July. On behalf of his family I would like to thank all the staff on duty that afternoon from the nurses to the doctor. The care and service provided was excellent. Communications were clear and accurate in terms of what was happening and what would be happening. Thank you so very much all of you. Best wishes, Jane Doyle ( daughter).

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 17 July 2014

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 18 July 2014

Dear Jane

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

We are pleased to hear that your father received excellent care at the A&E department.

We have passed on your feedback to our A&E matron, to ensure that the team on duty get the recognition they deserve.

Thanks again, we hope that your father is recovering well.