Royal Surrey County Hospital

01483 571122 Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road , Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX

MikeMe gave Orthopaedics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Arthroscopic subacromial decompression of the shoulder

I was operated on the day of the Junior Doctor's strike 12th January 2016. That worked well for me because I ended up with the lead consultant doing the operation. Please pass on my thanks to the consultant and the team including nurses for carrying on with the operation in spite of the strike.

Early days yet in terms of results but amazing non invasive surgery.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 18 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 18 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Due to the dedication and hardwork of our staff the industrial action caused minimal disruption to patients and services at Royal Surrey County Hospital. I am delighted to hear that you are recovering well from your procedure and have passed your feedback onto the relevant team.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

My op in Short Stay Unit

On Monday 18th Jan, I came in for the day ( as it turned out I came out the next day ) for an operation. I was treated exceptionally well by all of the staff from being booked in to when I went home.
Every where was so busy but it didn't interfere with wonderful care that I received. I am feeling really well I am sure it is down to them Thank you.
Mrs Jennifer Longman

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 24 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 04 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Royal Surrey. Our staff work exceptionally hard to provide the best care and outcomes for our patients. I will pass your feedback onto the Short Stay Unit, who will be very pleased to receive it. I hope that you are continuing to recover well.

Keith Lambert reviewed at Royal Surrey County Hospital

Emergency Assessment Unit

I was visiting my wife in the EAU for three days and the nurses and doctors and staff were so caring and professional it almost seemed to be a pleasure!
It is a shame that they are so busy but I don't want to be there again.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 26 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 04 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I will pass it onto the Emergency Assesment Unit, who I know will be delighted to receive it. I hope your wife is recovering well and going from strength to strength.

Anonymous gave Physiotherapy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Efficiency, competence, common sense of Physciologists

I recently discovered that my aging muscles and joints are not working properly and, in fact, are a cause of some sharp pain. My GP referred me to RSH where I was treated on 21st Jan. by a Physiologist for an arthritic hip. My session took about 45min. during which the physiologist carried out a thorough examination, identified problems and got me to do simple exercises for use at home.

I was highly impressed by their pleasant attitude and quiet professionalism. A second appointment was made for 2nd Feb. as they wanted to see my progress. I left the ward feeling positive and looking forward to my next visit.

However, family dynamics made me realise that my appointment for Tuesday 2nd Feb at 2pm was impossible to attend despite the fact that I confirmed it was ok to an earlier RSH automated phone call. I did not want to go through a remote telephone booking system so drove to RSH in the hope that I could apologise in person and hopefully get another appointment.

I saw the physiologist working at a desk near the reception area and, when an opportunity arose, took the chance to chat with them. I did not expect for one second that they could see me before my booked appointment but they calmly said they would like to see me if at all possible. I took a chair in the waiting area whilst a plan of action was being decided. Imagine my pleasure to hear a few minutes later that, if I was prepared to wait a bit longer, they would see me today!

I am a retired HM Inspecting Officer of Railways and wrote this missive to thank you for their dedication and to give my appreciation to management for giving staff the freedom to take decisions and act accordingly in what seems to me to be a very happy department.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 28 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 08 February 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to write and thank our staff. Here at Royal Surrey County Hospital we our very proud of our team, who strive to provide the best care anywhere. I will pass your message onto our physiologists, who I know will be delighted to receive it. I hope your hip goes from strength to strength. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

J gave Ophthalmology at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Lens replacement and cataract removal

I recently had surgery to replace the lens and remove cataract in my left eye. The team at the eye clinic were very efficient and I was treated well by the team before, during and after the procedure. The Surgeon was brilliant and is such a lovely person, who is very patient, kind and considerate and explains every step of the procedure thus putting me at ease and helping to alleviate any concerns and giving me absolute confidence in them. Well done NHS! I can now drive without spectacles for the first time in years - it is so liberating!! I am due to have a similar procedure carried out on my other eye within next 2/3 months and I am sure the consultant and their Team will look after me! Thank you to all the Team - you are all kept so busy but keeping a smile on your face and treating patients with respect means so much! Keep up the good work.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 29 March 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent surgery. Here at Royal Surrey we strive to provide the best care anywhere and I am delighted to read that you had such a positive experience. Coming into hospital for any procedure can be very daunting, so it I am glad the team were able to alleviate any concerns you had. I will pass your message onto my colleagues in the Eye Clinic, who I know will be delighted to receive it. Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

BJ gave Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Smokers roaming grounds

Find it really trying that as soon as you step out of the main entrance you are surrounded by smokers, usually gathered around the No Smoking signs.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 02 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 11 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. Royal Surrey County Hospital is a no smoking site and our security team do ask smokers to either move on or extinguish their cigarettes. I have passed your comments onto our head of security.

L C gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Visit to Hascombe Childrens Ward

My 18 month old son was admitted to the ward yesterday for review following a trip to the Drs. I was extremely impressed by the care we received at what was a distressing time for me as a parent. We were seen very quickly and we had non stop attention and support from the Nurses. The Dr who attended to us was absolutely outstanding with my Son and all of my family. Nothing was too much trouble. After a thorough assessment we were discharged the same day but we were offered open access direct to the ward in case my Son's condition worsened. I am very grateful for the genuine care and reassurance we were all given. Please pass on my personal thanks to the staff that cared for us.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 11 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 12 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. All of our doctors and nurses work extremely hard to provide the best care anywhere and we are extremely proud of them. I have passed your comments onto the Matron of Hascombe Ward, so that she can share them with her team. I hope that your son is now feeling better.

C. Bennett gave Dentistry and Orthodontics at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic level of care in the Day Surgery Unit

I visited the Day Surgery Unit yesterday with my daughter who was having a minor dental operation under general anaesthetic. I feel compelled to give my feedback as the level of care we received was outstanding. My daughter was very nervous about going to hospital, but all of the staff did their very best to reassure her the whole time we were there. They were so kind and caring, spending as much time as required to make sure that my daughter felt as calm as possible both before and after the procedure.
Thank you very much!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. Here at Royal Surrey we are very proud of all our staff and I am delighted to read that they were able to reassure your daughter. Coming into hospital can be a very daunting experience and it is important that she was put at ease. I will pass your comments onto the day surgery team, who I know will be very grateful to receive them. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope that you daughter is now recovering well.

Anonymous gave Surgery - Breast at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Very frustrated with parking

How can you possibly expect people to get to their appointments on time if they can't park? After 2 days with a variety of appointments but extreme difficulty in parking, it would not surprise me if most people were late for their appointments with knock-on effects for later appointments. How can your organisation work effectively if appointments aren't on time?

Yesterday I was trapped in queues in all the car parks fo 45 mins and ended up parking at Tescos in an attempt to get to my first appointment on time. I was late and arrived in a very stressed state ( not ideal for a cancer sufferer). Today parking was available but 2 machines were out of order and then the machine we found took our money but didn't give our a ticket! plus.... the price has increased to £3.50...that's more than a 15% increase! More profits for the contractor, no doubt, with no benefit for the customer.

Time you sorted this out.

A Cancer Patient

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 22 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are aware that car parking can be an issue on the site and have been working very hard behind the scenes to improve this. One of the main challenges we face is the hospital’s proximity to the A3. We have been working closely with Guildford Borough Council, Surrey County Council and Highways England to find a permanent solution and are awaiting the decision of a pre-planning application for an 800 space multi-storey car park. Car parking charges are an unfortunate necessity and any revenue goes towards managing, maintaining and developing the facilities. We apologise that your difficulty to find a bay resulted in your late arrival for an appointment. I have passed your comments onto the relevant department and also made them aware of the issue you experienced with the machines.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Endoscopy at Royal Surrey County Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endoscopy

I had an endoscopy procedure today and opted to have this without sedation, although a little nervous and apprehensive I was very thoroughly guided through the procedure from being admitted to leaving by the nurse.
I was collected by another nurse who accompanied me to the procedure room where they introduced me to another nurse and the endoscopy practitioner. Again the procedure was explained to me and they were with me throughout reassuring me and keeping me calm with reminding me to concentrate on my breathing.
I was then taken to a patients lounge and offered a hot drink and a sandwich until I was ready to leave, the nurse then collected me and explained the results to me.
Although this is a very simple and quick procedure, it isn't very pleasant but I couldn't have been made more comfortable and reassured in this very clean purpose built unit. Thank you

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

Royal Surrey County Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you very much for your email. It is very kind of you to take the time to recognise the efforts of the staff who looked after you. Coming into hospital can be very daunting and I pleased to read that you were made to feel reassured and comfortable. I will ensure your message is passed on to the endoscopy team. I know they will appreciate your comments.