BMI The Meriden Hospital

Telephone: 024 7664 7000
Address: University Hospital Site, Clifford Bridge Road, Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 2LQ
Website: http://www.bmihealthcare.co.uk/meriden

Ben ward gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wow... what a fabulous experience.

I went, very apprehensively, to this hospital. Not because of the hospital but because I was going in for a pace maker fitting. On entering the building the receptionist really set the tone. She was exceptionally professional, polite and patient. On entering the 1st floor ward (sorry cannot remember the name) the receptionist there came a greeted me by name, showed me straight into my room and showed how everything worked etc.

Then a nurse came to do all measurements and another to do the cannula (yughhhh). Her manner was outstanding clearly understanding my dislike of needles. In fact every single person who entered my room before the operation was professional, caring and outstanding. When judgement time came the two ladies who came to collect me were so lovely and reassuring. One was a radiographer who had a great personality and the other was the anaesthetist who was just as funny about her cocktails to keep me relaxed... I was quite nervous.

On entering the theatre I lay on the bed and more people came and all were professional, funny and human. I remember little from there!!!

Throughout the night, when I had returned to my room, the nurse who was 'in charge of me' was great. She was polite, professional and funny. Fantastic cup of tea at 2 am I think it was... thank you.

I did not chose to watch the tv so cannot comment on the stations, the room was fabulous and the bed was very comfy.

On the morning of discharge it was as good as the arrival experience.

Thank you to all the staff who had some sort of contact with me... you were all amazing and I hope you will all be there when I come back for my replacement pace maker in a few years.

I am a 36 year old teacher who has chosen private medical cover over other things in my life, but one of the reviewers says their experience of the staff was not great because he was not a private patient. I personally cannot believe that.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 03 May 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are really pleased to read your story and we will make sure that we share your kind feedback with all of the hospital team.

Ray Styles gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Inguinal Hernia Repair

From receptionist to consultant I found all the medical team very attentive, polite, informative and pleasant to deal with. I arrived at 700 am and was ready to be collected at 1.30pm.
Room and facilities second to none and spotlessly clean. Well recommended.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 19 April 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 29 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Andy Randle gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

left knee arthroscopy on 11.4.14

All the staff were very friendly and attentive which made me feel relaxed. Very happy with the level of care I received at this hospital. From checking in to leaving the entire process was fully explained and very easy. I could not find fault with anything. Many thanks to all the staff.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 April 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 29 April 2014

Thanks for your kind comments. We will share your feedback with the hospital team.

Sue Proctor-Brown gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

On the 21st of February I had a total hip replacement on my left hip almost a year after having my right hip done at the BMI Meriden in Coventry. And I would like to say that although I had my operations done on the NHS I could not have been treated better if I had paid for my operations. All the staff were very kind and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, I cannot speak highly enough of them. And would like to say thank you so much for everything.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 08 March 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind feedback. We are really pleased that you have had a comfortable stay with us and we'll share your positive comments with the rest of the team at BMI The Meriden Hospital.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

NHS Funded Nasal Skin Lesion Removal

An excellent example of what a Hospital should be like!

I originally chose BMI The Meriden Hospital due to the shorter waiting list on the NHS Choose & Book System. When I first walked in it felt more like a hotel than a hospital, no queues, friendly reception staff and the waiting area was more like a comfy hotel lounge with newspapers neatly dotted around to take your mind off the real reason for which you are there, this made me feel much more comfortable and more importantly at ease.

At my first consultation, the consultant wasted no time in booking me in for an appointment in 8 weeks time, however only 2 weeks later I was offered a pre op and operation in the following week.

The nurse for the pre op was absolutely brilliant and set me at ease for the operation the following day. On operation day I was surprised when I was taken to my own room equipped with en-suite and TV where I would get changed and wait until the operation. the consultant and his whole team were fantastic during the procedure which was complete in only a few minutes. The nurses on the Ward were also superb and very comforting with the post operation food (very tasty) being brought to my room having ordered it pre-op and within an hour I was leaving.

I was warned that there might be some visible notching of the nostril as a result of the operation but it is hardly noticeable, if at all. I couldn't be happier with the results Thanks to the efforts of all involved I'm very grateful.

Visited in November 2013. Posted on 29 November 2013

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 12 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are really pleased that your stay with us was a comfortable one. We will share your kind comments with the hospital staff.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

I decided to have my treatment at the Meriden Hospital after a friend of mine told me about it.
I went there as a NHS funded patient for a Total Hip Replacement procedure. At no time was I treated as a second class patient. The staff were amazing, I was treated with respect throughout my stay.
My room had en suite toilet/ wet room, I had my own tv with freeview, very fast Wi-Fi connection and a large built in wardrobe. The food was selected from a menu every day and was of excellent quality.
I had a procedure earlier this year at a NHS hospital where my care and treatment was second to none. What I lacked there was privacy and quiet. Sleep at night was a problem with so much going on in an open ward.
Overall although I had the best treatment at both hospitals I prefered the peace and quit at the Meriden.

Visited in October 2013. Posted on 24 October 2013

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we will pass on your kind comments to the team. Patient satisfaction and excellent outcomes are key priorities for BMI Healthcare. We always endeavour to improve wherever we can, and ensure BMI Healthcare remains a leader in patient care and outcomes.

Anonymous gave BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Private patient experience for major surgery

I decided to access the BMI Meriden as a private patient as I was in pain and was frustrated by the lack of NHS care I felt I was getting. My treatment was then instant with options given to me. I found this very sad in one way because this is what I (and others) should have been offered anyway as I pay into the NHS - but I was given a choice of surgery dates with one I opted for being the following working day after initial consultation. I was very pleased with my care at BMI Meriden; overall feeling that my care safety and welfare needs were met. Visiting for relatives was easy. The food was good. The single rooms were good. I felt I was safe there.

The only things that I felt could be improved upon were more staff at night and those staff working night shifts trying to keep noise to a minimum; as people or equipment was moved along corridors it was a bit disturbing at times.

Overall - a good experience with the patient put first. Things were task orientated at times, but not to the disrespect or detriment of the patient but to the efficency of care.

Visited in June 2012. Posted on 15 May 2013

BMI The Meriden Hospital has not yet replied.

Charlotte gave BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Catheter ablation surgery

I went into the meridian 2 days ago for catheter ablation surgery and although I’m 25 I’m a bit of a wimp and was scared of being there on my own but had a lovely nurse with me the whole time so don’t know why I was worried!! Every nurse I encountered was lovely and very friendly, they kept checking I was ok and answered any question I had.

Although the operation wasn’t successful the heart specialist explained it all to me and tried his best to make it work, I was kept informed all of the time during the procedure and he came to see me twice after it was all over.

The aftercare was amazing, I went back to the ward and the staff kept checking I was ok, and made sure I had food and drink as soon as I could.

When I was ready to leave I unfortunately had a re-bleed from my artery and it’s only down to the nurses that we didn’t panic! Thank you to all that looked after me!

Visited in April 2013. Posted on 18 April 2013

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we will pass on your kind comments to the team. BMI Healthcare wants to make a stressful time as relaxing as possible, we aim to provide a calm and comfortable environment where you can focus on getting better. We always endeavour to improve wherever we can, and ensure BMI Healthcare remains a leader in patient care and outcomes.

Tony James did not recommend General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital

Depressing & a joke! You need money for professionalism, thats not right!

What I liked

If you are an NHS patient you'll find some staff talk to you like they've wiped better things off the soles of their shoes! Rude & far from professional, snobbish attitude & full of themselves. Very unprofessional! Yet some were genuinely concerned. The hospital in Rugby is way better & its NHS. The Meriden is purely a business, full-stop! The best people were the porters! Manners cost nothing. They messed the first operation up & had to do it again 2 weeks later! The Meriden is all show wanting your dough!

What could have been improved

The people skills!!!!!!

Visited in November 2012. Posted on 17 November 2012

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 22 November 2012

BMI Meriden Hospital endeavours to make no distinction between NHS and private patients and both groups are treated with respect, dignity and professionalism by a team of dedicated and caring clinical and support staff. We take the issue of quality very seriously and are keen to take on board constructive comments about our service, learn and improve our delivery of clinical care to all groups. Whilst we are a private hospital and therefore must operate on a business footing, our staff make every effort to provide an up to date, safe, friendly and caring environment. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss and resolve any concerns with the writer in relation to the surgery referred to.

Gillridge recommended Neurosurgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital

Excellent care and attention as an NHS patient

What I liked

Prior to my latest treatment at the Meriden unit as an NHS patient I have been a private patient. I found the care and treatment given to me as an NHS patient exactly the same as for private care. The staff and facilities are excellent, I could not faull the care given to me.

Visited in May 2012. Posted on 08 June 2012

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 25 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we will pass on your kind comments to the team. BMI Healthcare is passionate about care, we aim to create a relaxed environment where you can focus on recuperating as quickly as possible. We always endeavour to improve wherever we can, and ensure BMI Healthcare remains a leader in patient care and outcomes.