BMI The Meriden Hospital

024 7664 7000 University Hospital Site, Clifford Bridge Road , Coventry, Warwickshire, CV2 2LQ

SAJ gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

After care is a disgrace.

My elderly father had a hip replacement and was sent home against his will the day after. He lives alone and has no family nearby. As soon as I knew he was being sent home, I telephoned the hospital to express my concerns but was simply told by the person I eventually got to speak too, that they only deal with private patient appointments and could only give me a number to ring. I rang the number to be greeted by an answer machine which I left a message for someone to telephone me urgently. That was three days ago and still no phone call..... He was being discharged within half an hour and as I live two hours away, my hands were tied and my only hope was that somebody would actually have the decency to return my call.

Visited in August 2016. Posted on 28 August 2016

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 30 August 2016

Sorry to hear of your experience. Please can you contact the hospital in order for us to respond. 02476647010. Many thanks

fell walker gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A trouble-free experience

Despite not being too well after my knee replacement operation, I found all the staff caring and understanding. The atmosphere on the ward was that of efficiency making patients feel confident in their knowledge and understanding of their needs. I can not recommend this hospital enough. As for the brilliance of the surgeon, I was amazed at how quickly I was back to normal walking once more. Hoping to be informed that there is a bed available for my other knee soon. Can't wait to be back on the mountains again.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 26 September 2016

A Steadman gave Gynaecology at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Gynae outpatients and Proceedures

Last week I attended Gynae outpatients and was treated with dignity and respect. Despite it being a delicate issue, the consultant was very good at explaining everything and kept it light hearted and made me feel at ease. I parked in the normal car park and paid fopaking but it wasn't that expensive. I attended today for a proceedure and again felt totally at ease and well supported by all the staff present and care was professional but relaxed. Everywhere was clean, today I parked in the free private hospital car park. The only negative was that the queue on the road for the large hospital car park meant I had to drive on the other side of the road to get to the Meriden hospital. Not the best planning.

Visited in July 2016. Posted on 21 July 2016

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 28 July 2016

Thank you for your kind feedback. We will share this with our staff.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Poor car parking at peak times

I couldn't fault the staff co-op, the cleanliness or the treatment, but I felt I had to say something about the car parking (and deduct a star for it).
I always arrive in plenty of time (thankfully), because I usually have to wait an extraordinary amount of time to get a parking space in the car park. It's always packed in peak periods, and it's then one car in, one car out.
This often creates huge traffic queues of cars waiting for a space, many of the car occupants have to leave their cars to tell reception they will be late for their appointment.
What really annoys me is that the car park would be sufficient, but (at least) half of the spaces are taken up by hospital staff "because it's free".
The thing is, the car park has numerous signs stating 'car parking for patients and visitors only'. It makes no mention of staff parking.
It may be true that hospital staff get free parking, but it's the patients that pay for it (thousands of pounds in healthcare fees), but they often can't use it, and have to pay in the adjacent hospital parking.

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 17 March 2016

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 28 July 2016

Many thanks for your feedback. This will be communicated to relevant staff regarding the car parking.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent care

Very pleased and grateful for excellent care for having NHS bunion op. Recommend going for early Saturday appointments if you can. No traffic and nice and quiet

Visited in March 2016. Posted on 21 March 2016

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 28 July 2016

Many thanks for the feedback on your procedure at The Meriden.

Sharon gave Gynaecology at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fibroid removal and hysterectomy Feb 2016

I attended for 5 days
I was really apprehensive re this procedure due to having a very large fibroids .. Careplan from the get go was very thorough and explained fully .. pain management and concerns were asked about and discussed with me with the surgeon and anethatist with me being able to give my views and thoughts and fears
My room was very clean well laid out and perfect for my stay ..with wi fi and TV with multiple free view channels made it home from home
Had op two and a half hrs after I arrived everything fully explained .. By nurse who wheeled me down to theatre

I woke up after procedure having had a hystroctomy and a large fibroid weighing 2k removed pain management was great with morphine wrist device fitted ..so I had moderate discomfort and this defiantly helped my recovery .. Nurses / staff were very attentive and gave me good care doing all of the necessary checks throughout the day and night and monitoring my pain and managing it accordingly with a pain medication .....my room was cleaned well daily during my stay and the meals provided were brilliant !! Got to say the meals and the kitchen staff were great and again this all aided to my recovery .. It was identified that I had to have two blood transfusions and this was fully explained etc etc prior to the procedure.. My discharge was completed I didn't feel rushed everything fully explained and medication given
Physio staff also popped in during my stay and offered appropriate advice
I have to say that I couldn't have asked for more during my stay and glad I have the ability to go private (it's worth it)
The only thing I will note during my stay is that my visitors were not challenged and able to walk into my room , and my room was left open when I was in surgery .. Just think that security could be better .
Reception staff and car park staff were also very helpful and polite during my visits ..pre and post op

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 19 March 2016

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 28 July 2016

Many thanks for your kind feedback. Your comments will be communicated to our Ward Manager.

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Lack of care and information

The pros:
The porters were great. The anaesthetist was very professional and made me feel held - painfully honest but also reassuring. The night nurse was an angel, very thoughtful and thorough.

The problems:
I was admitted for a tonsillectomy as a day case. I ended up waiting 4 hours in my room alone and not given the time for my surgery. It turned out that since the operation was so late I had to stay overnight for observation and I was informed of it only after I asked when I could be collected. There was a lack of communication between the staff members and almost no information was given to myself.

The day nurse on day one was abrupt and questioned the need for any painkillers. Got agitated when I asked for liquid paracetamol, only when they heard the surgeon explaining to me that the surgery was very difficult and I lost a lot of blood, they stopped questioning the pain control. I felt nauseous after the surgery and called the nurse, who didn't come for a long time an when they came I felt already weak and shaky but didn't vomit. They just gave me a bowl if I needed it in the future. The truth is I shouldn't be left in this state. After 20 minutes another nurse came by to take my blood pressure and it was 80/50 and I was all covered in sweat and nauseous but didn't have any strength to vomit. They called the day nurse to give me an injection to stop the nausea and they begrudgingly did, telling me - well, what did you expect - it hurts. I didn't dare to say anything and was very happy when the night nurse started their shift.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 19 September 2015

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Isolated

I thought I was going to enjoy my short stay in the Meriden however this was not the case.I was having a small procedure that required a local anaesthetic something which I have had before but I was told not to have anything to eat or drink ,never been the case before. I was booked in at 7 am yes to a room of my own with a tv,nurse were friendly. They went through the normal checks and at 08.10 after that I was left on my own,and I did not see a sole till 2 in the afternoon when a kind porter took me to the operating theatre. All day without a drink and when my procedure was over I had to more or less beg for a drink and abruptly told I could leave as soon as I was dressed,no checks made to see if I was being picked up. I was totally on my own in a room for over 4 hours without seeing a sole I could have passed out and lying on the floor no one would have noticed, my only saving grace was the tv which kept me company. My experience in theatre was another story which I will not go into, I came away from the hospital feeling very tearful a day I want to forget.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 22 August 2015

Marion Glover gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement May 27th 2015

I was lucky enough to have my knee replacement in the Meriden ( even though I am a NHS patient ). Wonderful treatment from everybody ( apart from the fact that I wanted a general anaesthetic , the staff member concerned made me feel uncomfortable about this pushing for a spinal and was a little bit "off " in the theatre! . Apart from this everything was wonderful especially the day and night nurses nothing was too much trouble for them bed wonderful food exceptional .
Would return ( wish I could afford ! ) and hope that I could if I ever needed anything doing in the future.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 08 October 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 26 October 2015

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We hope you are making a good recovery!

Anonymous reviewed at BMI The Meriden Hospital

NHS patient being treated in the meridan

I went into the meridian hospital as an NHS patient for an acdf procedure on the 2/4/15. Due to a couple of bad reviews I had read I was a little concerned about the way I would be treated,but during my short stay I could not have been looked after any better,everyone I met from nurses doctors to house keeping were very friendly and professional.so it is my opinion that the odd person that wishes to complain about this hospital must have thought they would be getting one on one personal staff.this is an excellent hospital and I thank everyone for the excellent care given.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 30 April 2015

We are very pleased that you had a positive experience with us, thank you for sharing your comments with us. We have passed them onto the hospital's Executive Director who has shared them with the rest of the hospital team.