BMI The Meriden Hospital

024 7664 7000 University Hospital Site, Clifford Bridge Road , Coventry, West Midlands, CV2 2LQ

Anonymous gave Ear, Nose & Throat at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Lack of care and information

The pros:
The porters were great. The anaesthetist was very professional and made me feel held - painfully honest but also reassuring. The night nurse was an angel, very thoughtful and thorough.

The problems:
I was admitted for a tonsillectomy as a day case. I ended up waiting 4 hours in my room alone and not given the time for my surgery. It turned out that since the operation was so late I had to stay overnight for observation and I was informed of it only after I asked when I could be collected. There was a lack of communication between the staff members and almost no information was given to myself.

The day nurse on day one was abrupt and questioned the need for any painkillers. Got agitated when I asked for liquid paracetamol, only when they heard the surgeon explaining to me that the surgery was very difficult and I lost a lot of blood, they stopped questioning the pain control. I felt nauseous after the surgery and called the nurse, who didn't come for a long time an when they came I felt already weak and shaky but didn't vomit. They just gave me a bowl if I needed it in the future. The truth is I shouldn't be left in this state. After 20 minutes another nurse came by to take my blood pressure and it was 80/50 and I was all covered in sweat and nauseous but didn't have any strength to vomit. They called the day nurse to give me an injection to stop the nausea and they begrudgingly did, telling me - well, what did you expect - it hurts. I didn't dare to say anything and was very happy when the night nurse started their shift.

Visited in September 2015. Posted on 19 September 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Isolated

I thought I was going to enjoy my short stay in the Meriden however this was not the case.I was having a small procedure that required a local anaesthetic something which I have had before but I was told not to have anything to eat or drink ,never been the case before. I was booked in at 7 am yes to a room of my own with a tv,nurse were friendly. They went through the normal checks and at 08.10 after that I was left on my own,and I did not see a sole till 2 in the afternoon when a kind porter took me to the operating theatre. All day without a drink and when my procedure was over I had to more or less beg for a drink and abruptly told I could leave as soon as I was dressed,no checks made to see if I was being picked up. I was totally on my own in a room for over 4 hours without seeing a sole I could have passed out and lying on the floor no one would have noticed, my only saving grace was the tv which kept me company. My experience in theatre was another story which I will not go into, I came away from the hospital feeling very tearful a day I want to forget.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 22 August 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital has not yet replied.

Marion Glover gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Total Knee Replacement May 27th 2015

I was lucky enough to have my knee replacement in the Meriden ( even though I am a NHS patient ). Wonderful treatment from everybody ( apart from the fact that I wanted a general anaesthetic , the staff member concerned made me feel uncomfortable about this pushing for a spinal and was a little bit "off " in the theatre! . Apart from this everything was wonderful especially the day and night nurses nothing was too much trouble for them bed wonderful food exceptional .
Would return ( wish I could afford ! ) and hope that I could if I ever needed anything doing in the future.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 08 October 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 26 October 2015

Thank you very much for your kind feedback. We hope you are making a good recovery!

Anonymous reviewed at BMI The Meriden Hospital

NHS patient being treated in the meridan

I went into the meridian hospital as an NHS patient for an acdf procedure on the 2/4/15. Due to a couple of bad reviews I had read I was a little concerned about the way I would be treated,but during my short stay I could not have been looked after any better,everyone I met from nurses doctors to house keeping were very friendly and professional.so it is my opinion that the odd person that wishes to complain about this hospital must have thought they would be getting one on one personal staff.this is an excellent hospital and I thank everyone for the excellent care given.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 15 April 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 30 April 2015

We are very pleased that you had a positive experience with us, thank you for sharing your comments with us. We have passed them onto the hospital's Executive Director who has shared them with the rest of the hospital team.

Janet Borthwick gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent hospital

I was an inpatient at this hospital as an NHS funded patient for a total knee replacement from December 8 to December 10 2014. Initially I chose this facility because of the surgeon. However, I can say with hand on heart the service and care I received was second to none. All members of staff were caring and friendly. I was treated with respect by every staff member I came in contact with. I appreciated the quiet and privacy the single room afforded me but at no time did I feel isolated. I saw my surgeon every day I was in the hospital; even on the day I was discharged when he took time to wish me a happy Christmas. The food was good with an excellent choice being offered, all beautifully presented to tempt the appetite. Although I did not watch television it was there if I chose to do so. The wet room was spotlessly clean as was the whole hospital. Dates for physio and removal of staples were given to me on discharge. The physio was painful but vital and the physiotherapists were gently encouraging. The nurse who removed the staples from my wound was wonderful. I am due to receive a second total knee replacement later this year at this hospital. I would recommend the BMI Meridan hospital without reservation.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 19 January 2015

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 02 February 2015

Thank you very much for sharing your story. We always try to exceed our patient's expecations and we are very pleased to see that we have done so with you. We have forwarded your kind feedback to the executive director of the hospital who is going to share it with the rest of the hospital team.

Ben ward gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Wow... what a fabulous experience.

I went, very apprehensively, to this hospital. Not because of the hospital but because I was going in for a pace maker fitting. On entering the building the receptionist really set the tone. She was exceptionally professional, polite and patient. On entering the 1st floor ward (sorry cannot remember the name) the receptionist there came a greeted me by name, showed me straight into my room and showed how everything worked etc.

Then a nurse came to do all measurements and another to do the cannula (yughhhh). Her manner was outstanding clearly understanding my dislike of needles. In fact every single person who entered my room before the operation was professional, caring and outstanding. When judgement time came the two ladies who came to collect me were so lovely and reassuring. One was a radiographer who had a great personality and the other was the anaesthetist who was just as funny about her cocktails to keep me relaxed... I was quite nervous.

On entering the theatre I lay on the bed and more people came and all were professional, funny and human. I remember little from there!!!

Throughout the night, when I had returned to my room, the nurse who was 'in charge of me' was great. She was polite, professional and funny. Fantastic cup of tea at 2 am I think it was... thank you.

I did not chose to watch the tv so cannot comment on the stations, the room was fabulous and the bed was very comfy.

On the morning of discharge it was as good as the arrival experience.

Thank you to all the staff who had some sort of contact with me... you were all amazing and I hope you will all be there when I come back for my replacement pace maker in a few years.

I am a 36 year old teacher who has chosen private medical cover over other things in my life, but one of the reviewers says their experience of the staff was not great because he was not a private patient. I personally cannot believe that.

Visited in May 2014. Posted on 03 May 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 12 June 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are really pleased to read your story and we will make sure that we share your kind feedback with all of the hospital team.

Andy Randle gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

left knee arthroscopy on 11.4.14

All the staff were very friendly and attentive which made me feel relaxed. Very happy with the level of care I received at this hospital. From checking in to leaving the entire process was fully explained and very easy. I could not find fault with anything. Many thanks to all the staff.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 15 April 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 29 April 2014

Thanks for your kind comments. We will share your feedback with the hospital team.

Ray Styles gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Inguinal Hernia Repair

From receptionist to consultant I found all the medical team very attentive, polite, informative and pleasant to deal with. I arrived at 700 am and was ready to be collected at 1.30pm.
Room and facilities second to none and spotlessly clean. Well recommended.

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 19 April 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 29 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Sam Penasar gave General Surgery at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Two slipped disks repaired. L5 and S1. Cont. Sciatic pain

I have had 2 operations on my back, the last one being 7 months ago. Sciatic pain in the back was bad in the uk, doctor informed me that it takes time and holiday to Spain should help. It's got worse and now in the morning it's a huge struggle to get out of bed, it takes 20 minutes to push to move out of bed (crying in agony) and into the living room. Pain eases after time but is still restrictive. This can't be right and I do not have a treatment plan which tells me what to expect so that I can gage whether recovery is on track.

It feels to me this hospital / doctor does not care.

My name is Sam and I am writing this on behalf of my brother in law.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 18 August 2014

We are concerned with your feedback and we would urge the patient to get in touch with the hospital if the patient is in pain.

Sue Proctor-Brown gave Orthopaedics at BMI The Meriden Hospital a rating of 5 stars

First class treatment

On the 21st of February I had a total hip replacement on my left hip almost a year after having my right hip done at the BMI Meriden in Coventry. And I would like to say that although I had my operations done on the NHS I could not have been treated better if I had paid for my operations. All the staff were very kind and friendly and nothing was too much trouble, I cannot speak highly enough of them. And would like to say thank you so much for everything.

Visited in February 2014. Posted on 08 March 2014

BMI The Meriden Hospital replied on 10 March 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your kind feedback. We are really pleased that you have had a comfortable stay with us and we'll share your positive comments with the rest of the team at BMI The Meriden Hospital.