Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Geoff gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Crisis, What Crisis?

We constantly hear that the NHS is in crisis, well after my first stay in hospital since 1959 I can only say that the care was superb, the staff a joy to meet, the ward clean & comfortable and the whole experience almost a pleasure.
I realise much of this was due to the very hard work of a dedicated staff but even the food was O.K.
I had been dreading the thought of ever having to spend a night in hospital as old age galloped towards me but quite frankly I was amazed at the whole experience, much of it was actually fun.

Visited in May 2015. Posted on 03 May 2015

R Stanbridge gave Orthopaedics at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

3 1/2 hour wait

My son had a follow up appointment with the fracture clinic to check on his broken collar bone, his appointment was for 11.20 23/4/15.We duly arrived at Out Patient 1 reception at 11.10 and noticed on a white board that the consultant was running 1 hour over already. We decided that we would get a cup of coffee and returned 30 mins later to see that it was now 1 hour 15mins over running.
1 hour 30 minutes after his appointment time I questioned the receptionist and they took us around the corner into a corridor where we sat for another 2 hours. A lovely member of staff had turned up, something to do with Patient care management, they were very friendly
and tried to hurry things along. When we finally got to see the consultant it was a different person and they couldn't understand why we the clinic had got so far behind.
Well neither do I,I do understand that in a hospital things change and patient care can take longer then planned, but 3 1/2 hours is outrageous, I had to go back to the private car park twice to put more money in. I have worked in the private sector as a Operations Manager recently taking early retirement and I can assure you that our customers would not put up with this kind of treatment and I would have been questioned as to how it occurred.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 24 April 2015

LollyT gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

2nd baby at Queens -birthing Centre

Wow!!! I'm so overwhelmed by the treatment I have received at Queens with my 2nd baby. After delivering here in 2010 I had an exceptionally bad experience. However today after delivering my 2nd child at the new birthing centre I honestly can't fault anything. All my concerns of not being listen to or ending up with the same type of delivery were unfounded. Each and every member of staff has been amazing, compassionate, and genuinely interested in my best care. I pray it doesn't go back and people respect this wonderful service.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 25 April 2015

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Rude and obnoxious nursing staff on BlueBell B Ward

I arrived at Bluebell B Ward as I needed help finding a family relative I was the told of the ward my relative was transferred to however, my first time at the hospital and the nurse who I spoke to was very unhelpful and said they were too busy to direct me to the ward. No care or sympathy that is my experience the nurse could see I was distressed. What kind of Nurses do you have working for NHS?

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 27 April 2015

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Triage Ward

I am 33 weeks pregnant with my second baby and had cramping in my left side so I called triage ward and they asked me to come to the hospital. When I reached there they took me straight for examination. After checking my blood pressure midwife put me on CTG test and left me there for one hour. After one hour they asked me to wait in the waiting area until the doctor come to check me again. There were two doctors there but only one of them seems to be interested in patients another was so ridiculous because there were also another 6 ladies waiting to be seen and that doctor went out of the ward and was chatting with other hospital staff. I have to wait for two hours to be seen with no reason after two hours a doctor checked me. They were very good and polite. I really appreciate them but the other doctor was so bad and careless toward the patients. It was a very bad experience with triage ward.
I had my frist baby here in queens hospital in June 2013 and that was very good experience so I am expecting for the same in my next time.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 28 April 2015

Anonymous gave Orthopaedics at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Amber B ward avoid

Amber b ward what can I say staff nurse rude/unfriendly/dismissive of feelings along with unhelpful staff leaveing patients sad/confused very poor communication and tbh a rubbish service all round
What a waste of the nhs resources
Seriously I could've provided better care for my dog then the care I recieved and I still haven't been told what's wrong with me

Phoned even after discharge to check why I have certain meds when they know I'm I tolerate to them and the ward sister was rude and told me "I only done what I was told via the handover " talk about go above and beyond your duties not!

The moto seems to be blame the patients and not do what's requested ,,

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Walk in eye clinic

This service seems to be almost non-existent.
I arrived with my wife at 10 am, to be informed that
we were too late to be seen and should go to Moorfields.
I queried why we were too late, as the department does dot
close until 3pm, and was told that they already had fourteen
patients waiting.
Why advertise a service you cannot adequately provide?
you are just misleading everyone.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 29 April 2015

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appalling service

I was in the eye casualty department for 7 hours. Most of the staff where rude. The only staff who where professional and showed any empathy where the receptionists.

Patients are meant to be prioritised. There not as young children waited just as long.

If you can try to find an alternative to the queens.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 30 April 2015

Anonymous gave Neurosurgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Jury Is Still Out On This One

I think that the staff do an amazing job in terms of the surgery and immediate needs of the patient but I am not overly impressed with the after care. I may be unfortunate in that my husband has been admitted over the Easter bank holiday but I just can't seem to track down anyone who can give me answers. My husband has to repeatedly request pain relief and is normally at a certain pain threshold before it is administered. On the occasions that I have followed up for him the staff seem stressed and inconvenienced. My husband is currently in Sahara B. Yesterday when I visited he had only one sheet on the bed and had been sleeping directly on the rubber mattress. I told the nurse and they pointed to the sheet shelf......I honestly don't mind making the bed but I don't know how long he had been laying like that. Additionally, I tried to call the ward this morning but it either rings off or they pick up, leave line open without responding and then disconnect. I have emailed my husbands consultant directly this morning for clarity on his situation as noone has tried to touch base with me at all to discuss his situation and he is in no condition to do so himself at the moment

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 07 April 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 09 April 2015

Thank you for sharing your husband’s experience with us on NHS Choices.
I am extremely sorry that you have found the aftercare to be below the standards expected I would be grateful if you could contact the PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk so that these issues can be addressed. I have also asked the matron for this area to undertake an immediate inspection in the ward area,

Yours sincerely
Wendy Matthews
Interim Chief Nurse

Terry gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Man Down became Bionicman

Falling my previous review 'Man Down' I would like to give you a update. I would like to thank everyone in the Maxillo-Face team along with the Day Unit Care Team. I had surgery to have cheek bone pushed back with involved having a titanium plate fitted with 6 screws. Both the Surgeon and the Team were really caring. The day unit nurse were also so caring. I'm now due back in 3 weeks time for a follow up.

I like to Thank Queens Hospital for all there help.

Visited in April 2015. Posted on 10 April 2015