Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Hollie reviewed Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital

The early hours of this morning my family were called to the hospital because my aunt was dying. A young women working on reception was absolutely outstanding. So supportive and very helpful. So much so I felt I needed to praise her, normally people that work on reception make you feel bad for asking for some help but despite being run off her feet she couldn't do any more. Unfortunately I didn't get her name but she deserves a big thank you.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 03 January 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 21 January 2015

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. I am sorry to hear that you were called to hospital in these circumstances. I am pleased that our receptionist was really supportive and helpful, this is great to hear. I will pass on your comment to our staff.

Flo Panel-Coates
Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Pain Management at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

What happened to the hypocratic oath?

I was sent to the Hospital many, many months ago by two Consultants to save me being in pain once admitted to a ward and to clear up any unnecessary pain and suffering to me. It was proposed by the Consultants who were treating me to be given an Orange Card for Morphine so my needs could be administered whilst in the care of Queen's. I have a very rare auto-immune disease. I get chronic pain, I am allergic to all medication other than morphine. When admitted the doctor's require me to have morphine to help with the pain and sickness, but this cannot be done on a ward by the nurse. Hence I spend many hours begging for pain relief. The Consultants/Doctors always prescribe me IV morphine when admitted it cannot be followed up by the nurses on the ward. Hence I can spend up to 17+ hours in absolutely agony, thus making my stay at Queen's longer. The pain I get is a flare of my rare Auto-immune Disease. I was treated so badly he made me cry in despair. I waited many, many months for a second visit. Yesterday I had another meeting with the pain doctor, this time he was even worse. I have hearing problems, I also have a mother who is profoundly deaf and have to shout. He told me I was shouting and would not treat me unless I toned it down. He made a suggestion/told me I had to have a course of treatment. He would not listen, I went there because the Queen's hospital consultants sent me. He said I was abusive when I tried to explain things. He warned me several times, I begged really begged that he would hear me out. He just kept saying do not threaten me. Told me off so many times, kept saying I was abusive and threatening. I was not he yet again said he would discharge me from the hospital and again said I was threatening. I was only repeating what I was told and needed to explain why I was there in the first place etc. He got his pen to discharge me again so I walked out scared and afraid. I was there for help. I went to see my mother who is in hospital and at 92 she said this is not right. I went to PALS. Answer from doctor was it is a personality clash. Huh! He was referring back to my GP with the suggestion I attend another hospital. So now what do I do when I have a flair? Get admitted to A&E by ambulance and spend hours and hours afterwards in a ward with no pain meds. I wish I could take normal pain killers but I cannot, this is all part of my condition, it causes allergies. Have I a choice of going to another hospital when in a flare? No! I need steroids and pain medication straight away and all through my admission until the pain/flare has gone. He kept saying I cannot keep going to A&E. Well I do not want to go to A&E I go on my doctor's advice. I do find the Pain Team Nurse and Sister beyond reproach. Many times they have sent the Nursing sister for advice on the ward, each time she has backed me up. How can this doctor be a doctor? He will not listen or read his notes as to why I was there .

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 09 January 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 21 January 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am concerned about your experience and the communication issues with your doctor. I know you have already been to PALS about this but I would urge you to contact them via me so I can ensure I can look into this for you. The contact details are as follows phone 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Medical Director

ElleMarieGeorgiou gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ENT Consultant/Theatre Nurses/Recovery Team

The consultant explained the procedure in full allowing me to make an informed decision about my surgery.

I felt confident in his ability to achieve great results, this was due to his consistent professionalism and friendly nature.

The theatre nurses made me feel comfortable and relaxed as did the anaesthetist, explaining each step that they were taking.

The aftercare/recovery team were exceptionally brilliant, looking after me throughout the night and ensuring I was comfortable, clean and offering their assistance.

I am extremely grateful to the ENT department.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 14 January 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 21 January 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am really pleased that you had a positive experience having surgery at Queen’s Hospital. Our staff work really hard to give our patients the best possible care and I am glad you have had such a positive experience before, during and in the aftermath of your surgery. I will take pleasure in passing on your comment to the team.

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

An incredibly positive experience!

My wife gave birth to our third child on the Labour Ward. Having had a previous c section and mixed opinions of our previous experiences with the births of our other children, we were incredibly impressed with the whole experience. Our midwife was brilliant- she ensured we were in control of every stage and knew what was happening. She went above and beyond to support my wife in mobilising and in being comfortable to ensure that we had a very smooth birth. The quality of our experience was completely different to three years ago, and we would highly recommend giving birth in Queens!

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 19 January 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent Service from Queens Hospital Romford!

My Wife and myself would like to tell you about the great service we received from Queens Hospital.

Our Son Jason, who is Mentally and Physically Handicapped was taken by ambulance to Queens and was diagnosed with a urine infection.

He had two seizures while he was there and spent six days in hospital.

The ambulance people were great looking after Jason, and Jason went from A&E to MAU and then to Clemantine A.

We would like to thank all the Staff that helped Jason get back to good health.

Jason went in on Sunday 4.1.2015 and it was so busy in A&E it was manic.

Even though it was manic the Staff were all professional, polite and caring.

Please send a big thank you to all the Staff for their outstanding service, well done everyone!!!

Even the cleaners and food Staff were brilliant and did a great job.

Many thanks

Pat & Mick

Jason's Mum & Dad

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 20 January 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

Inconsistent Approach

About 14 days ago, I noticed a small spot located on my neck just on the hairline.
In the last 2-4 days, the spot had dramatically grown in size and felt inflamed - it was clear that it had grown into a cyst at that point.
After repeated calls to my local G.P, I wasn't able to get an appointment, so I decided to go to the near-by Walk in Centre.
The Walk in Centre were very quick to establish that they couldn't treat the cyst and referred me to my nearest A&E.
When I arrived at King George A&E, I was seen by a triage nurse who was super professional and my blood was taken shortly after.
Eventually after waiting for a few hours, I was seen by a doctor, I was told that the cyst was in fact as Sebaceous Cyst and that it was caused by hair follicles. He advised that I would need to see the Max-Fax surgeon at Queens Hospital and called through to them.
As it was late, the surgeon asked that I go to Queens first thing in the morning, so I arrived well before and was directed to a number of different of departments before reaching the A&E minors where I gave them the letter given to me by the doctor at King George.
I sat in A&E minors for 50 minutes and a triage nurse called me advising that Max-Fax had been calling to see where I were.
I was then directed to Majors Lite and about 20 minutes after, a nurse gave me a sheet as they wanted me to go for a head x-ray, so I went and had the x-ray (the x-ray staff were exceptional) and once again sat in the Majors Lite waiting room for somebody to see me.
About 2 hours later a specialist from Max-Fax eventually called me to a cubicle to be examined.
They advised me that the Sebaceous Cyst needed to be surgically removed and that I would need to see a consultant before they could operate.
Apparently, they wasn't able to drain the fluid from the body as it wouldn't provide a long term solution.
I wasn't at all pleased that the information given to me by the doctor at King George and the Max-Fax specialist at Queens hadn't made it clear that I would need to see a consultant before having an operation.
At both the Walk in Centre and King George A&E Minors all suggested that the cyst should be removed within a 24 hour period, of course I understood that they were not specialists, bur I didn't expect to be waiting for up to 2 months.
I was given medication to stop the pain and fight the baterial infection, but the pain killers do not work.
So looks like I'm going to be waiting around for a while in pain.
Word of advice to other patients using this service for Cyst treatment - brace yourselves.

Visited in January 2015. Posted on 21 January 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Diagnostic Physiological Measurement at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Quick Colonoscopy

My wife was booked in today for a colonoscopy at Clinical Diagnostics, time of arrival to be 9.10am and we arrived early. She was called at 9.00am and I was asked to return at 11am to collect her which I thought was ambitious to say the least. I returned at 11.15 to be told that they had phoned me to say she was ok to collect!
After the briefing by the theatre nurse we left the unit at 11.45pm and I don't think any hospital could have performed that service more smoothly or faster.
Well done again Queens.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 20 December 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 21 January 2015

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on NHS Choices. I am thrilled that your wife’s colonoscopy went so smoothly, this is great to hear. Our staff work hard to deliver a first class service and I am pleased that you thought no other hospital could have done a better job.

Medical Director

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

An extremely poor service. My mother (91) was taken into the Hospital by...

An extremely poor service. My mother (91) was taken into the Hospital by ambulance (after a fall) so I expected some sort of priority! Wrong! After being shoved around several A&E departments we were seen by a nurse, who said you need see a doctor after sitting around for hours my mother felt ok so we left!

My biggest issue is the total lack of ownership and communication by the hospital staff, total lack of care, or consideration.

I would suggest you give this hospital a miss

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 14 December 2014

Sara Turle gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding Cancer Care

Diagnosed with an aggressive form of Breast Cancer in April 2010, I have received outstanding care from my Consultant Oncologist and team over nearly 5 years. I can not speak highly enough of the medical care I have received; with not the greatest of prognosis they threw the book of treatments at me and I'm soon to celebrate my 5 years survival which is highly positive but also the care and compassion shown during very difficult times. Confidence in your care giver is paramount and I have utmost confidence in the team. I also want to pay tribute to all the associated departments I have come into contact with and continue to do so.
Echocardiogram staff, scan staff, radiotherapy staff, staff taking my bloods and a particular thanks for kindness when my veins were proving very difficult, volunteer tea people with copious amounts of encouragement and good cheer. I salute you all. The biggest thanks though have to go to the exceedingly hardworking nurses of the Chemotherapy Department. With tears at times and yes, humour, I got through. Thank you all.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 17 December 2014

SARA TURLE gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

5 year milestone of outstanding care

Having been diagnosed with an aggressive form of Breast Cancer in May 2010, I have been under the care of Queen's Hospital since. 1 Operation, 6 Chemotherapies, 25 Radiotherapies and 18 Herceptin treatments plus numerous check up appointments, scans, bloods taken, echo cardiograms etc, etc, etc which continue to this day. I honestly feel that someone was looking down on me when they gave me Queen's Hospital and my Oncologist, Dr Quigley. The care I have received from the oncologist and their team coupled with the care of associated departments has quite simply been outstanding. It has been quite a journey, starting with not the best of prognosis but in May I reach the 5 year survival marker. It was always my expectation that these professionals would have the medical expertise but the value added has been the manner in which they have delivered it displaying kindness and compassion of the highest level. The doctor's ability, despite the numbers waiting to be seen, to sit and engage with me as if I'm the only person she is treating is very special in deed and has really helped inspire confidence in me to get through. Thank you doctor, thank you Queens and I raise a glass to you all and of course..........the next 5 years.

Visited in December 2014. Posted on 13 January 2015