Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Would rather pay to go private than here!

After having an examination and blood test on Thursday, i was told to have a scan on the following monday at 11.30. After a quick scan i was told to go to have a review. I waited until 2.30pm when i asked approximately how long the wait would be. They responded 3 people in front of me. At 4.45 i asked again, they then responded 3 people in front of me! After being seen at 6pm all i was told was that they would give me a report to send to my GP!

After all that time I was told nothing substantial, with an obnoxious doctor. They have no time management skills or organisation. Could they not have sent the report anyway? No mention of blood test results. After i have some questioning and explaining i presumed she hadn't read my notes. Everything the previous doctor had told me they would check nothing was resolved!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for leaving your comment on NHS Choices. I am sorry that you had to wait so long to have a review following your scan. Our hospital is busy but this is no excuse for such a long wait and for staff giving you unhelpful information. I am sorry that you felt the doctor had no time management skills or organisation and that there appears to have been a misunderstanding over your blood test results and notes. This is not acceptable and I need to investigate. In order to do so, I need further details. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk so I am able to investigate this for you.

Stephen Burgess

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very good care

Just spent 2 nights in Queens after being admitted as an emergency. I found all the staff very caring and friendly. The ward was bright and clean. The food isn't great but everything else compared very favourably to my wife's recent experience in a private hospital.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 04 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 22 September 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It’s wonderful to hear how well you were looked after, and I am sorry that you felt our hospital food wasn’t as good as you were expecting it to be. Through our Patient Dining Group, we are making improvements to our menu, and have begun taste testing to ensure our food is the best it can possibly be at our hospitals.

Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

awful hospital!

was staying with family and unfortunately I went to queens hospital as I had shooting pains in eye and head, was seen very quick through triage, was taken to minors and people with a sore hand who were laughing and joking were seen first before myself when i was in absolute agony. when i was finally seen, nurse was rude and told me to go to moorfields eye hospital as queens couldn't do anything until Monday because the eye doctors were not working at the time. had the same problem two weeks ago & went to a hospital near my home and they were fantastic! saw an eye doctor even though it was the weekend. would never recommend anyone going to queens hospital.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 07 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 September 2014

Thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I am sorry to hear about your experience, it must have been very frustrating to wait and then find that there were no eye doctors available to see you. This is not acceptable. I would like to investigate and in order to do so, I need some further details. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Jayne c gave Urgent care centre at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Majors resus and ccu

I went into a&e on mon 8th sept am and the staff and speed at which I was seen was amazing( a head nurse I think) is an asset to your department calm friendly polite helpful and in amongst a very chaotic shift still made me feel I had one on one care, I had a terrible episode of A FIB never heard of it before and was assured many times I was fine and wouldn't die! I am a bit dramatic! I went up to ccu and spent the next 20 hours being cared for ( and made to laugh ) by the fantastic staff. My only gripe is a 3 month wait to see a cardiologist? I feel I have loads of questions no answers and a long wait to see if I'm happy with my meds etc, I also don't want to spend my life on these and would like to discuss other options too but have quite a long wait now! A thumbs up to queens amongst very bad press

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 12 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 September 2014

Thank you for leaving your comment on NHS Choices. I am pleased that you found our staff to be so reassuring and helpful, they do work very hard and I will take pleasure in passing that on to our staff. I am however concerned about the length of time to wait to see a cardiologist and understand it can be unsettling if you do not have answers to questions about your medication and potential other options. To be able to need to investigate this further, I need more information. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Gary Etheridge
Deputy Chief Nurse

kye gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent all round

We came on friday the 12/09/2014 to be induced and ended up having a baby boy on the Saturday.From the ante natal ward until the post natal ward I have to say everything was excellent. All the midwives and doctors were friendly and I think genuinely cared. I want to mention two of the midwives who were outstanding knowledgeable and professional,
Thank you for delivering our baby boy.

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 18 September 2014

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Terrible!!

Worst hospital experience ever made me cry. I had been going in and out of here every week under a suspected cancer referral. The appointments with the tests etc were fantastic. However, my final appointment was traumatising for the following reasons:

• I was told I would see my original consultant – I ended up seeing someone else entirely.
• This consultant kept asking me questions about my own results, I was going there to get info, not to fill her in on my info!? She did not have a clue about anything I had been tested for.
• The doctor offered me a treatment but I said I could not today due to ‘time of month’ to which she replied ‘no no that’s the best time to do it!’ to which I said ‘okay let’s get it done’ then she goes ‘come back in 6 weeks and we can’. How absolutely insensitive to lead someone on like that. I had taken enough time off work to come to these appointments. This misleading behaviour drew me to tears.
• The consultant then offered me a medication (which the colposcopy doctor told me I must come off due to it increasing my cancer risk). I told her this is unprofessional contradicting medical advice to offer me a medication that increases my cancer risk that the other doctor told me I must stop taking immediately, she then got all defensive and rude towards me.
• I asked for one certain treatment to which the doctor said she refused to give me until I have children – but what if I did not want children?
• This doctor then kept going on about how she had other patients to see – nice to make her patients feel important isn’t it?
• This doctor did not even know I had a colposcopy the week before, did not know I already had my swab results, did not know why I was even there – highly unprofessional woman and highly insensitive. Did not even apologise for what she said or did to me.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 September 2014

Thank you leaving your feedback on NHS Choices. I am really sorry that you found your final appointment traumatic. This is not acceptable. I am concerned that the consultant you saw did not seem to have the right information and that you felt there behaviour was misleading or contradictory, there is no excuse for this, it simply should not happen. I am sorry you felt that the doctor was highly unprofessional and insensitive; this is not an acceptable standard of care.
I would like to investigate, and in order to do so, I need more information. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.
Medical Director

moomoo33 gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A&E department

I came to A&E last week. Very quickly saw a triage nurse, so I thought all was going well. I had an injury to my wrist. She tried to pull off my engagement ring even though I said it would not come off. It was only when I screamed at her to stop pulling that she did. I was left with a swollen bruised finger for a week following.

Went off to x-ray, all good. Told to go to urgent care centre and saw a doctor. The rudest, most unpleasant doctor I've ever met. I had no examination, she spoke to me like a piece of rubbish and even insinuated my symptoms were lies. Told me to take pain killers and escorted me out the door all in the space of five minutes.

How incredibly ignorant and disrespectful. Teach your staff some manners, some are not fit to be doctors.

The following week I went to St Thomas' Hospital, where I was diagnosed properly and shown respect and received the treatment Queens should have given me.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. We are very sorry about your experience in our Emergency Department. We are concerned that a triage nurse tried to pull your engagement ring off, even though you had said not to remove it. We are sorry you found the doctor you saw to be rude and unpleasant and made you feel like weren’t being taken seriously and that they treated you disrespectfully. This is totally unacceptable. We would like to investigate further and in order to do so need further details. Please contact us via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk so we are able to investigate this for you.
Flo Panel-Coates, Chief Nurse and Stephen Burgess, Medical Director

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

ITU and A&E

We took mum to A&E and was seen almost straight away. The lovely triage nurse took her straight round to resus where she was treated immediately and then admitted to ITU. The staff in the ITU department were excellent, nothing was too much, we were kept fully informed at all times. Mum was treated with such dignity and respect. All the staff go above and beyond the call of duty.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 01 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 12 September 2014

Thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I am thrilled that you have given our A&E services 5 stars. Our staff work hard to provide the best care possible and it is great that you felt the staff in the ITU department were excellent. Treating patients with dignity and respect is vitally important and I will take pleasure passing on your comments to the team.

Chief Nurse

Margaret Thompson reviewed Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital

The good the bad and the worse

Admitted Sat. Pre arranged with gp/medicalregistrar. Treatment fine. Admit to orange a. Yesterday evening I walked out of ward in tears over the treatment I received by a nurse. Be assured there are some realy lovely nurses on the ward. Thank them having difficulty getting e-mail address for someone to complain to. I am very upset and angry. Missed new medication yesterday due to this. Trial drug. Supposed to return to see if they are working

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 03 September 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 10 September 2014

Thank you for leaving a comment on NHS Choices. I am very sorry to hear that you are upset and angry, it is totally unacceptable that you have made to feel like this by a nurse on the ward. I am sorry that you missed your new medication as a result. To be able to need to investigate this further, I need more information. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Amanda gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery ward and theatre staff

Can't find a option for day surgery ward reviews so I'm afraid I'm putting it here,hope it reaches them.After a mix up when I was in before (finding out on surgery day I have 3 lots of notes as no one has bothered to file them,so 2 were ignored )and long wait to get the surgery my faith in queens had gone ,but i came in to the day surgery ward on 12th August 2014 to finally get my demon gallbladder out, on the ward the nurses could not have been any friendlier , I was kept informed at all times, had obs done, saw 3 anaesthetists and the surgeon before my opp,all explained everything to me,asked loads of questions (they all asked the same questions but least they were being thorough and making sure ) I got took to theatre (was so nervous) lovely nurse and 1 of the anaesthetists kept me chatting and telling me what's going on till I was put to sleep which was so nice of them, I woke up in recovery room in complete agony but with 3 nurses by my side,1 had the morphine and anti sickness to hand which I was given within minutes (thank god) , taken back to the ward,obs done,given water,tea,biscuits n even offered a sandwich,the nurse that dealt with me most stayed close and kept asking if I wanted anything,helped me to the loo and made me feel like I wasn't any bother and could ask her for help(my previous stay in gyny ward I felt like I was being a bother just asking for some water) the nurse rung the surgeon once I was up,dressed,n I my eyes ready to go home,the surgeon came to review me within an hour of being asked(he was in surgery till then) and let me go home(my previous stay I waited 19 hours after a doc was called for the to arrive) I really cannot fault any of the staff on this stay or the treatments received , the surgeon even managed to avoid cutting my tattoos which I thought he wouldn't of even tried to avoid(I wouldn't of minded if he ruined them) but he gave that extra effort not to ...thank you so much to everyone that was involved in my care that day, you have proved that not all departments are as bad as the gyny , n there are some genuinely lovely staff there

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

I’m pleased that after the initial mix-up with your medical records, you had a very positive experience in our day surgery. Our staff work hard every day to ensure all our patients receive excellent care, and they’ll be thrilled to know how highly you thought of them.

Yours sincerely