Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Efficient, polite and respectful staff

My 95 year old mother was admitted to Queens hospital late at night on Wednesday 1st July suffering from dehydration. The hospital was clean and the ward well-maintained and decorated. The staff were polite and treated my mother with dignity. They were also very helpful to family members present. Overall an experience that could have been traumatic for all of us was stress-free because of the professionalism of the hospital staff.

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 03 July 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

A Evans gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

My son's A&E visit

My son is 18. I attended A&E with him with his GP's referral letter because he had developed a lump on his neck. He has moderate learning difficulties and a long-term chronic health issue. He would not have been able to manage on his own as the very first task was to complete a quite complicated form confirming his right to treatment in the UK.

After a reasonable wait, we saw the triage nurse. They did not introduce themselves to me. I'm not sure that they introduced themselves to my son either. They discussed with my son in my presence the fact that he would be referred to the ENT duty doctor. I provided background history. All of a sudden, they looked at me and said 'And who are you?'

My son is black and I am white. He is my adopted son so I am used to a disconnect where people assume that we are not related. But one point that occurred to me is that he is 18 and therefore surely can have anyone in attendance.

I informed the nurse that I was the father. They did not comment. I felt very uncomfortable because of the way that they said 'And who are you?' as though I was up to no good. It's a shame because I personally have had good experience of this hospital. We have two further visits in the coming weeks so I hope that this issue does not repeat itself. I need to be present as my son will not pick up on important detail and will frequently misunderstand instructions or information.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Penny gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Clementine ward a

My daughter is currently in Clementine Ward A . I cannot praise the staff highly enough for their care, support and sense of humour doing a very difficult job. Everyone without exception has been just amazing but a very special mention for Florence and Peggy, thank you

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 July 2015

Jahanara gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Referral by paediatrician

After reading negative comments was in two minds about coming to Queens. However was pleasantly surprised. The service and treatment were exceptional. Reception staff were nice enough. The sister nurse and Dr were absolutely brilliant. Gave the time and even a follow up appointment. Would definitely recommend for children's eye treatment.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 02 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 June 2015

It’s excellent to hear that you treated well by all our staff when you spent time in our hospital. I’m very glad you would recommend our services, as this is testament to the care you experienced.

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A&E visit for appendicitis

Went to a&e around 9pm on a Thursday after suffering abdominal pain. First check in nurse unhelpful, poor English and grunting at me. Next receptionist at window 2 much more helpful and sympathetic ( I was a blubbering wreck!) saw triage nurse within 30 mins, then blood test within an hour. Put thru to holding around 30 mins later and informed appendix would be removed and put on a drip. Around 130 am was checked over and care explained, and put into a room at 2 am. 4 bed room with 1 loo, terrible sleep but very kind nurses, lots of pain relief and was checked over by surgeons by lunchtime. After visits by anesthetic team and lots of nurse care by 4 pm was off to surgery. Surgical team very professional and explained what was happening before I went under anesthetic. Woke up confused and a bit upset but team kept me calm and got me back to the ward. Next morning was given appropriate pain relief and later visited again by doctor and surgeon who explained how the proceedure went and that I could probably leave later that day.

In short, was in and out in less than 48 hours and felt like my care was very well managed, only down sides were: had to ask for water frequently, didn't always come, and some pain medication was not available on my departure, had to get it the next day which post surgery and in pain was not convenient.

Nurses especially are amazing at queens!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 06 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It sounds like you received overall great care, with teams working together across our hospital. Thank you for highlighting areas also for improvement, we will make sure your feedback is passed onto the teams.

Interim Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Gastrointestinal and Liver services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

gastroscopy& endoscopy

procedure not at all stressful as all staff were informative and reassuring at all stages.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 07 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

It’s great news that you found your procedure to not be stressful, and that our staff kept you informed throughout it all. It can be a worrying time and I’m very glad our staff were also able to reassure you.

gastroscopy& endoscopy

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 07 June 2015

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Very Impressed

My Father was transferred to Queen's after being assessed at another local hospital. We were informed that the eye clinic at Queen's would be appropriate for his acute glaucoma attack.

The doctors and nurses in the eye department were compassionate, helpful and did everything they could to ensure that my Dad was treated as an urgent case in order to restore the lost vision to his eye.

As a family we are so grateful for the care, support and efficient medical treatment administered to him.

My Dad was then transferred into the Medical Receiving Unit for 2 nights and the nursing team there could not have been kinder or more helpful.

It is quite difficult to get through to the ward by phone but I am sure this is due to the nurses all supporting the patients at busy times.

A lovely medical team who certainly have the welfare of the patient at heart-a very impressive experience overall!
Thank you to the team in both the eye clinic and MRU!!

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 10 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

Thank you for your kind feedback. Our Ophthalmology and MRU team will be delighted to know you thought so highly of the care given to your father. This is a great example of how great care for our patients and their families can make a difference.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Care and attention

I attended bluebell b ward today to visit my dad and must commend the staff. They were helpful and friendly. They ensure I knew where my dad was and ensured I had all the information I needed before I left. I felt confident leaving him in their care. The ward was clean the bays were bright and the staff were cheerful and helpful. A credit to the NHS.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 11 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

It’s fantastic to hear about how well you feel our staff have been looking after your dad while he has been in hospital. To know you were confident to leave him in the hands of our staff is testament to the care he has been given.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Long waiting time in Early pregnancy unit

I registered to be seen at 10:30pm. However I was seen at around 3:00am in the morning with almost 4 and half hours wait. I don't understand why the hospital is so understaffed and why it takes almost five hours to be seen. There were almost 6 patients before me. That doesn't explain amount of time it took for them to see me.

Apart from that the medical exam was good and convincing.

I would have liked to be seen more quickly.

Visited in June 2015. Posted on 13 June 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 25 June 2015

We try to make sure our patients are seen in order of clinical need and as quickly as possible, and I am sorry on this occasion you were waiting longer to be seen by our staff than you were expecting. I am pleased that you were satisfied with the medical examination.
Our PALS team is available on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk if you would like to speak further about this.