Queen's Hospital

01708 435000 Rom Valley Way , Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Uncaring and unsensitive

Found out my father had been taken to A&E. Spent 10 minutes trying to be connected to A&E only to give up. Tried again and after another 6 minutes got through, only to be told that I wasn't even allowed to find out if he's awake. Finished off with 'alright, my love?' Terrible.

Visited in February 2016. Posted on 05 February 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 10 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience, I was very sorry to read the concerns that you have raised. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service, who will be happy to assist you in any way they can and will try to resolve your concerns. The PALS team can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Thank you to the staff in A&E and Tropical Lagoon :)

Both of my children attended Queens in the space 3 months with respiratory problems on 5 ocassions including one arrival by ambulance and 3 hospital admissions so I have a firm basis for my comments on paediatric A&E and Tropical Lagoon ward.

Paediatric A&E although a little cramped in the waiting room at times made every effort to see my children quickly. The staff are upbeat and friendly and seem genuinely caring. The person that brings sandwiches, biscuits and ice cold juice on a trolley when you are often tired and hungry is an absolute darling. The staff are committed to making sure patients are either admitted or discharged as quickly as possible.

Tropical Lagoon is a wonderful ward. It is clean, peaceful and visually stimulating for young children. The staff are exceptional, and the consistency of this from one member of staff to the next is flawless. They genuinely care with a smile and transitions between the nurses are seamless. The doctor's involved us in decisions regarding our child's medication when we suggested an alternative drug and spent all the time we needed answering our many questions.

Queens Hospital is now my first choice for the excellent care they have given my children. Thank you.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 02 February 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 10 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience and for providing us with your feedback, it is wonderful to hear that the staff you encountered treated you and your children well and were caring towards you at what must have been a very worrying time for you. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto them, thank you once again for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Rish Udawatte gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Avoid E N T @ Queens.Go to Your GP and Try another trust

My 6 years old kid was suffering from tonsils and glue ear for a while. We were referred to Queens Hospital in Romford E N T and dates were fixed for a surgery. We received a letter on the 12th of December confirming the surgery .We reconfirmed it by calling them in the 14/12/2015.

We thought everything was OK . We informed the school that the kid needs 2 weeks off and we took days off. Woke up early morning, took the kid to the hospital. We were at the hospital by 7 am. Approached tropical lagoon ward. Handed the letter to the duty nurse. When they started to check my kids details I realised something is wrong by their facial impressions .This is queens and I am used to it .With my personal experience I know that staff cannot make anything right in the first place without making an error. Some of my other appointment went disastrously wrong @ Queens. So I don’t have a good impression about Queens on the other hand I have no money to go private

Then the nurse informed the result, appointment was cancelled . Not rescheduled .No one knows why .No sorry no appology nothing.( Nurses were very nice and helpful it was not their fault) Asked us to wait for another 2 and half ours till PALS staff come in , to make a complaint. Among other things the nurses informed me that this is normal at Queens they face similar issues on regular basis.

Waited till 9.30 am . Entered the PALS at the ground floors ,spoke to a member of staff .They made call to the admission .
Wow we were to blaim . According to them ,they called us on the 18th December ,and left a voice mail regarding the canclellation of the appointment.They wiped their hands
But they didn't know the secrete .My phone doesn't and never have or had any kind of voice mail facility .If I don't pick up the phone it gets disconnected after few rings .
So they left a voice mail on a phone which doesn't have a voice mail facility.
My advice to all the patients, be aware when you make appointments with queens right down everything for your records
Avoid if you can, go to another trust if you can
simply they don't do their job properly and they try to blame you.
Don’t expect an apology but expect to be blamed
Some workers work here does not simply carry out their duties properly.
This is not the fist poor ( worst than poor) service I received from Queens

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 12 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience, I was very sorry to read the concerns that you have raised. I note from your comment that you contacted our PALS Team previously, however I would like to ensure that you are assisted in making your child another appointment and unfortunately, NHS Choices is an anonymous website, and therefore the only way we can find out more about people’s experiences is to ask them to contact our PALS team. If you would like to discuss this further please contact the PALS team on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

walk in eye clinic

Visited walk-in Eye clinic on 11/1/2016.I was seen by a nurse after waiting outside the room for 15 min. as asked to do. I told the nurse my eye problems and also what I had already done....visiting the GP 4 weeks prior. Since I am on immunosupressants and eye condition not resolving, I had to seek a specialist opinion.I felt the nurse did not listen to me and told me to carry on doing warm compressions thats all for another 5 days! When I asked " Are you not going to take my name?" they replied that it is not necessary. This also I find it wrong as I also work in the trust and all patients need to be attended/logged even if they have been given verbal advise.
I hope appropriate protocols are in place for all staff to adhere for patient records.
Unsatisfactory and very disappointed in the service.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 12 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience, I was very sorry to read your experience. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, you can contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service, who will be happy to assist you in any way they can. They can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Chief Nurse

Rasa gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

I would like to thank paramedics who took me to queens hospital in Romford , they were really friendly and supportive . And thank you to all of the queens hospital staff , doctors and nurses for taking care of me . I had x Ray done and another tests .
The waiting time is a bit long but I agree that patients in severe conditions are the priority .

Thank you again to all oh the staff .

Rasa

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

I am very pleased to hear about your positive experience, it is lovely to hear that all the staff that treated you did so in such a caring manner. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the Department. Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Anonymous gave Respiratory Medicine at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Response to my recent emergency and subsequent care.

Having been taken in to to A&E by ambulance with severe breathing difficulty,my immediate care was excellent.I was transferred approximately five hours later to MRU,there,again I cannot fault the care I was given.Two?days later I was cared for on Bluebell A, until my discharge on the evening of 16th January.Throughout my stay, I received good care in general.My concern was that on several occasions I was given two different drugs together,to which I had a adverse reaction. Taking them separately was not a problem,but repeatedly I was given them together,unless I intervened. This left me rather anxious that information regarding this was either not recorded,or nurses weren't taking note of my situation.Also,some of the nurses,and a doctor,I found difficult to understand.I thought their English not good

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 17 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. It is wonderful to hear that the care you received in our Emergency Department and our Medical Receiving Unit was good. However, I will ensure your concerns and feedback relating to the nursing staff on Bluebell A is passed to the Senior Sister so that she is aware of your feedback.

Yours Sincerely

Julia Hartigan-Brown gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Outstanding and professional care

I would just like to express how impressed I was with the care received by the consultant and staff in the scanning room at the Gynaecology department at Queens hospital.
Staff were professional, polite and most importantly made me comfortable and took care of my needs in a superb manner.
I did not expect a one stop clinic on my visit and was pleasantly pleased to discover that I would be thoroughly checked, scanned etc all in the same visit.
The consultant explained things clearly and I am pleased to report that although I waited initially for the appointment for over 5 months my pre-op care was booked and arranged within 2 days.
Thank you so much to all the staff for making my rather unpleasant visit a comfortable experience.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 19 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience of the Gynaecology Service. It is lovely to hear that the staff that treated you were professional, polite and made you feel comfortable. I will ensure your comments are passed onto them. Once again thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

A & E and a child

Our 6 year old daughter had a head injury as the result of an accident at school.The friendliness of the reception and care and attention to detail shown by the doctor and then the consultant left me very impressed. Conditions are difficult...it's busy, but these people are marvellous in such a scenario. First class.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 20 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 January 2016

I am very pleased to hear about yours and your daughter’s positive experience within our Emergency Department and it is lovely to hear that all the staff that treated her did so in such a caring manner and were professional and efficient. I will ensure your comments will be passed onto the Department. Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience.

Annoyed mother gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

Unbelievable service

My son has been under the clinic for four years and had eye test back in January 15 with a follow up appointment to be posted. Apparently two appointments were booked and we didn't show for either of them (have never missed an appointment I've known about) called today to find out when his routine eye test was booked for to be told he had been discharged for non attendance and that my GP had been informed. Just rang the GP and they have not received a letter either to say he had been discharged. I'm now having to fight to get him back in the clinic for an error that is not mine when speaking with the clinic they just washed their hands of me. Seems very strange that I didn't receive either appointment and the GP never received discharge letter, it is quite apparent that there is an issue with Queens administration!

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 21 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience we would like to sort out this issue, please can you contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service, who will be happy to assist you. They can be contacted on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Greg gave Haematology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Excellent trustworthy security team. Great Blood test team

I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to your extremely helpful and professional hospital security department. I was stupid enough to leave my shiny new phone on one of the car park ticket machines today, 22nd Jan 2016. I realised my error about 40 minutes later and called the hospital switchboard who were very kind and friendly and put me through to your security department.

The person who answered was really friendly and patient with me even when I got the time of my departure wrong by 20 minutes. They patiently searched the recording to find me leaving the car park,spotted me place my phone on top of the machine and then walk off without it. They then watched the recording in fast mode to see if anyone had taken my phone right up to present time when it was still there, then they sent one of the staff to collect it while they watched the camera. When they had it back in the security office they were very thorough in making sure it was my phone by asking all sorts of identifying questions. I came back with my two 5 year old girls to collect the phone but one of them needed a blood test so we rushed there to try to have that done before the department closed at 4.30. Amazingly the security staff recognised me from the recording and met us at the blood test door to introduce them-self, what a very pleasant person, they told us to have a seat when we had finished the blood test and they would be back in a while to help us and sure enough that's exactly what happened. They then took us to the security office and returned my phone.

I really was not expecting to see my phone again and consider my self extremely fortunate to have it returned but then to have it returned to me in such a friendly professional manner i consider extremely good service and a credit to the hospital.

Thank you for having such a trustworthy security team and thank you to the team for the return of my phone. Oh and while we are at it, thanks for the lovely blood takers who always treat us so nicely when my little 5 year old goes in there, it makes life so much easier when people are friendly, pleasant and kind. My little one actually enjoys going to have blood taken at Queens and although it might hurt just a tiny bit she really doesn't mind because everyone is so kind to her

Please pass on my sincere thanks to all concerned including the lovely staff on the switch board.

Visited in January 2016. Posted on 25 January 2016

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 February 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. I was very pleased to hear that all the staff you met went out of their way to provide you with the best experience possible. I will ensure your comments are passed onto them.