Queen's Hospital

Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Stuart gave Urgent care centre at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

outstanding A&E and UCC care today

my daughter required a check of her wrist following referral from Orsett minor injuries clinic this morning. From the time of drop off to discharge was less than 40 minutes. Staff were helpful and courteous; her x-ray and application of a cast was handled quickly and without fuss. Absolutely outstanding. Thank you to the team on duty Sunday Feb 1. You are brilliant.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 01 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 20 February 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am pleased to hear that you had a positive experience following your visit to Queen’s Hospital. It is great that your daughter was treated quickly and that you felt the team was “brilliant”. They work extremely hard and I will pass on your comment to them. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Appointment completed in an hour, professional, polite staff

My appointment was for 11:10 am in outpatients 2, the eye clinic, I was seen within 5 minutes of arrival, had eye test and drops put in by very polite nurse, who kept me informed of what he was doing. Shown to another waiting area and then called quickly for a scan of the eye. All staff introduced themselves by name to me and told us what they were going to do. Seen by dr around 20 mins after who examined my eyes, took history and explained what the problem was and discussed treatment options, and answered our questions patiently, she then consulted with the consultant and discussed his recommendations. Again answered our questions clearly and explained what the treatments would involve and also possible side effects and problems. Was out of the hospital within the hour, excellent service from everyone we saw. Am now waiting for a date to have the eye op, but feel quite reassured about this due to my positive experience so far and how much care everyone took of me. Will write another review after the procedure.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 03 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 20 February 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am thrilled that you had a positive experience in outpatients 2. It is great that both the care and communication you experienced when visiting Queen’s Hospital was so good. I am pleased that our staff all introduced themselves by name, we are working hard to ensure communication between our staff and patients is excellent. I will enjoy passing on your comment to our staff.

Medical Director

Gill Dyerson gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Compassion of A&E staff and Anaesthetist

Marvellous compassion shown today by A&E staff at Queen's and one of the anaesthetists when we lost a beloved family member suddenly. Everything was explained to us in clear and simple terms. Fantastic team work shown whilst they were all under extreme pressure in Resus. Can't thank them enough

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 04 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 20 February 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. We are sorry to hear of your relative’s sudden bereavement and would like to pass on our condolences. We are really pleased that our staff showed you such compassion and that you saw their great teamwork first hand. They do work really hard to provide great care.

Nadeem Moghal, Medical Director and Flo Panel-Coates, Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very jaded and unsympathetic staff in EPAU

I was sent to EPAU by A&E. A Dr was sitting in reception and he simply ignored me. A number of staff walked by as they looked at me standing there. I was there for 5 minutes, not once did anyone say oh someone will be with you shortly or anything, including the Dr who was sat right in front of me! Someone eventually came and they asked me to give a sample to test for the pregnancy and asked me to wait in the waiting area. I was left waiting for five hours, heavily bleeding and in pain. No one came to say anything to me since handing in my sample. I have had an ectopic previously dealt with at a different hospital and due to that hospitals negligence, I was left bleeding internally, which meant I lost one of my tubes and almost lost my life due to the blood loss and ended up in ICU. I was very worried that this may be all happening again and not only that, seeing as I only have one tube remaining would be left infertile. After 4 hours I expressed this concern to the person at reception, she told me she would let the relevant person known. An hour later, I still had not been seen. It was at this point my partner went to complain. I guess he was more stern than I was, as 10 minutes later, just over 5 hours after arriving, I was seen. The Dr I saw was rude. She then examined me and told me that because my cervix is closed, she thinks everything is OK and is happy to send me home. I wasn't happy with this; she then said she will let me get a scan, as I am high risk for an ectopic, but that I'd probably have to come back the next day to do it. Luckily I had it the same day. The person doing the scan was the most horrible person I've ever come across. She was so miserable and abrupt. She told me I wasn't in any pain without asking and went on to tell me that I was probably having a miscarriage and that they would do bloods to confirm. There was no sympathy or explanation. She could have just as much been telling me, “oh the bathroom is that way”. That's how blasé she was. When I asked for her to explain to me was happening, you would have thought I had sworn at her the way she reacted. She clearly wanted me in and out as quickly as possible and wanted the least amount of interaction as possible. I left feeling distraught and confused. I was still none the wiser as to what was going on. I had been told differing things, nothing had been explained and I was still in pain and not been offered pain relief. My 2nd blood test wasn't labelled by the nurse, so I had to go in to do it again! This meant more parking to pay for, more time wasted and even more anxiety waiting to see if I was miscarrying or not. When I came in to redo the test, I was told I had to go to the main phlebotomy clinic, which takes hours to be seen! The same scanning nurse called with the results. She simply said your blood test confirms you're miscarrying, I will book you in for another scan to confirm it completed, bye. That was the whole conversation! No compassion at all.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 05 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 February 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I was deeply concerned when your account of our maternity services. Most of what you say sounds totally unacceptable. Our staff should always be kind, considerate, caring and compassionate. It sounds like you have been badly let down and I am really sorry for that. I am concerned that our staff were rude to you and that you had such a negative experience communicating with multiple members of our staff. I really want to investigate this for you urgently. In order to do so I will need more information. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk and I will investigate.

Flo Panel-Coates
Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Ophthalmology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic treatment in eye clinic at Quueens Hospital

Attended eye clinic at Queens Hospital this morning, what a service! I was seen by the consultant who diagnosed a retinal tear which needed urgent laser treatment. She thought I may have to travel to Moorfields eye hospital but was able to contact the consultant who came to the department and gave me the laser treatment I needed. All the staff, doctors, nurses and reception staff were extremely friendly and helpful from the moment I arrived. Thank you to the Sister and her team, I am grateful for all your attention and care.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 10 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 February 2015

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on NHS Choices. It was great to read your comment on your experience at our eye clinic. Our staff work really hard and I am pleased that you found all of our staff to be friendly and helpful. I will enjoy passing on your comment to them.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Cardio dept

Just wanted to say how wonderful two particular staff were in diagnosing my heart problem. From my introduction to the Sister to being introduced to the Consultant, I felt I was the only patient that had been dealt with. I had to undress to the waist, a gown given and my dignity in tact as much as possible given where the doctor had to place scan etc. my diagnosis was explained in layman's English that I could understand. Although I need surgery, I feel quite as ease going down this road. Only hope my future care under another hospital lives up to the care at Queens. Thank you.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 10 February 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 18 February 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I am really pleased that you were made to feel comfortable by our staff when diagnosing your heart problem. Respecting our patients’ dignity is really important and I am pleased that they made you feel comfortable. We put a real emphasis on excellent communication with patients and it is good to hear they explained this to you clearly. I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

Anonymous gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

poor service

I was main to have an operation on 4th and I went for pre operation assessment a week before,on getting there on the day of operation and I was ready for the operation,the I was told I wasn't on the list and bed wasn't booked for me. I went for blood test 3 days prior to the operation day the worst hospital ever putting people's life in danger

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 04 February 2015

Anonymous gave Sexual health services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Not impressed

After attempting to attend the 'walk in' clinic this morning (I was the first person to arrive). I was told that because I was not registered I could not be seen. I explained I only wanted to get further contraceptive pills. I have attended many family planning clincs in London without having to register. This clinic should not be called a walk in centre as it does not cater for non registered patients. The member of staff on reception was very nice and told me the next available appointment to register me on a Saturday would be 18th April! I find it astonishing how little access there is for a service to just get contraception. Even though I live locally, I will have to utilise a service much further afield.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 14 February 2015

Philip Menzies gave Neurology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Satisfied Patient

I would like to thank everybody involved in my care - including the neurology team, the doctor and the staff in Ambulatory Care, the ward staff in Sahara A Ward and
A&E, and not forgetting the MRI/ CT Scan staff. I was treated kindly with respect and patience at a very difficult time.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 15 February 2015

Anonymous gave Urology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Unable to get an appointment

I was referred to the Urology department early December 2014, offered an appointment in January which was then cancelled due to consultant being on annual leave. Despite phone calls to the department I have not been re-issued an appointment as 'there are no new clinic dates yet'. Suffering for four months so far with no help from this hospital at all and not able to be referred anywhere else.

Contacted PALS service and heard nothing for two weeks now.

Visited in February 2015. Posted on 16 February 2015