Queen's Hospital

Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

charlotte gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

so happy with hdu visit

I'd love to give my praises to all the staff who were so helpful in making sure I've been seen quickly and thoroughly. I had to go to HDU today for an iron infusion and even though they only found out about the appointment that morning they were so good about getting me in that same day and making sure I got the care I needed even though they were full to the brim. I had a lovely lady dealing with me and I could not give her enough praise, she helped calm my nerves and was so pleasant to be around even though she was rushed off her feet. Thank you so much to her and everyone else.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

John Griffiths gave Urology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Prostate one stop Clinic at King Georges Barley Lane

Here is an abridged version of the letter I wrote to the NHS after visiting the "one stop clinic for Prostate Cancer" I know it sounds like you are popping in for a tyre change however the service is exemplorery.
After a raised PSA test I was sent to the consultant at King Georges Hospital, after a nervous wait all my anxiety and worries were dealt with in the most proffesional, curtious and calm manner. Now after a chat and a biopsy I await more results, however may I congratulate the staff for a service that should be sung from the rooftops. Well done them and the NHS.
Not lucky perhaps to wearing quite so quickly however I won the lottery of life when I was born in the UK and under the umbrella of our health system.
Thanks again to the NHS.

John Lester Griffiths.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Amanda gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery ward and theatre staff

Can't find a option for day surgery ward reviews so I'm afraid I'm putting it here,hope it reaches them.After a mix up when I was in before (finding out on surgery day I have 3 lots of notes as no one has bothered to file them,so 2 were ignored )and long wait to get the surgery my faith in queens had gone ,but i came in to the day surgery ward on 12th August 2014 to finally get my demon gallbladder out, on the ward the nurses could not have been any friendlier , I was kept informed at all times, had obs done, saw 3 anaesthetists and the surgeon before my opp,all explained everything to me,asked loads of questions (they all asked the same questions but least they were being thorough and making sure ) I got took to theatre (was so nervous) lovely nurse and 1 of the anaesthetists kept me chatting and telling me what's going on till I was put to sleep which was so nice of them, I woke up in recovery room in complete agony but with 3 nurses by my side,1 had the morphine and anti sickness to hand which I was given within minutes (thank god) , taken back to the ward,obs done,given water,tea,biscuits n even offered a sandwich,the nurse that dealt with me most stayed close and kept asking if I wanted anything,helped me to the loo and made me feel like I wasn't any bother and could ask her for help(my previous stay in gyny ward I felt like I was being a bother just asking for some water) the nurse rung the surgeon once I was up,dressed,n I my eyes ready to go home,the surgeon came to review me within an hour of being asked(he was in surgery till then) and let me go home(my previous stay I waited 19 hours after a doc was called for the to arrive) I really cannot fault any of the staff on this stay or the treatments received , the surgeon even managed to avoid cutting my tattoos which I thought he wouldn't of even tried to avoid(I wouldn't of minded if he ruined them) but he gave that extra effort not to ...thank you so much to everyone that was involved in my care that day, you have proved that not all departments are as bad as the gyny , n there are some genuinely lovely staff there

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Amanda gave Anaesthesia services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st time I've been happy with queens

Normally I hate queens with a passion and have no faith in them at all but I had an opp on 12th August 2015 I was on day surgery ward, all the staff was great,couldn't of been more friendly and helpful,the anesthatist was brilliant I had what I think was a newly trained/training guy and a more superior guy and a woman that I think was top dog, they were all so nice , kept telling me what they was doing the whole time and the lovely guy that seemed to be teaching the other chatted to me the hole time as I was so nervous . I've had such bad experienced with the hospital in the past but this really was surprising how good everyone was , thank you to the staff if they read this

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Clare Moon gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Felt invisible and all control taken away

Emergency admission for suspected meningitis. Terrible! Control completely taken away and left uninfomed. for example, registrar left mid conversation to get my MRI results and never returned. Despite results of lumbar puncture coming back and notes updated before he left in the evening, i was never informed that i was clear of meningitis and was told later that night by a nurse once i threatened to discharge myself. Felt invisible - Frequent conversations between staff that were totally inappropriate criticising other departments or colleagues and the standard of the hospital in general. Wheeled into theatre waiting room and left in a corner for 15 minutes without any communication. Received iv injection without even asking me first. Seems the staff have forgotten they are treating fellow human beings. I did discharge myself in the end and I am glad I did. I feel sorry for anyone who has to experience that environment. I have a catalogue of issues with my experience and will send details to the trust exec in the hope of a response.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear about your experience in our Emergency Department – I am very concerned to hear about this, and about the inappropriate comments made by our staff. I would like to investigate this further, but will need more information from you. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Age discrimination and unacceptable waiting times.

As I am in my early twenties, I am tired of being discriminated by the medical profession for not taking health matters seriously, they claim I am young but babies and young children are treated, are they not too young then? The whole process in cardiology is disorganised and discriminatory.

Consultants do not turn uo, time, travel and money is wasted to discover the consultant is on holiday and no one knows- how disgraceful. and the patient is not informed in advance either. Looks like ther is a sverfe shortage of staff.

Where is the friendliness from the staff and explanations of each stage of the process too, and ther is a lack of involvement in decisions between medical staff, non medical staff and patients.

The consutants will try to manipulate symptoms so that treatment is not given, this is not dignity and respect for us..

I could not make one of the appointments so I am made to wait 6 months for the next follow up appointment., it will be 10 months sionce the initial appointment, there is a history of heart trouble in my family too and the hospital has no patient care or attention.

The NHS ombudsman needs to inspect and investigate this hospital.

There is a patient charter that no one even tries to remember.

This is not the place to attend.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I am very sorry to hear about your experience, and that you have had to wait such a long time for a follow-up appointment. For me to look into this further for you I require more information. In the meantime, I have passed your comment onto the manager of this service. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Stephen Burgess
Medical Director

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Labour and newborn readmission

I wanted to leave some positive feedback as you only seem to hear the negative reviews. I had my daughter at Queens Hospital on 27th July and was really happy with the level of services provided by all the staff. I was admitted to the antenatal ward on Friday 25th July to be induced and every point of my treatment was explained in detail and any questions I had were answered quickly and clearly. After a few attempts I was finally ready to deliver on Sunday afternoon and although it was a long weekend I was well looked after. The midwife that delivered my daughter was cool and calm after the labour established and escalated quickly and put me at ease. Treatment in the postnatal ward was also brilliant and we were well looked after and both my daughter and I checked over thoroughly before being discharged on Monday afternoon. Unfortunately my daughter was readmitted on Wednesday 30th August with a suspected infection but we were again well looked after by all staff at the hospital. Brilliant staff - professional and friendly to the end.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you so much for leaving your kind words on NHS Choices. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. It always lovely to hear about our patients’ positive experiences, and I’m delighted to know that you thought our midwives brilliant.

Chief Nurse

Becky Rideout gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 4 stars

Admission of child with learning disabilities via A&E

Our daughter recently had to attend children's A&E and was then admitted for observation. All staff were very understanding of her needs and kept us as her parents well informed. They also took the time to try and explain things to our daughter in a way she would understand (she has autism.) They also found her hospital passport very useful (which the A&E doctor took a copy of for her notes) and took account of what it said when considering what tests to undertake.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 11 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

I’m delighted to hear about your daughter’s experience in our Emergency Department. You will note form the postings made that we do not always manage to deliver this experience to every patient but this is our ambition. We have made significant steps with our learning disabilities provision, and it’s great to know that this is making an impact on our patients’ experience. I will enjoy passing this onto our staff.

Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Absolutely terrible

Arrived 1 o'clock with my daughter who had swollen neck which looked like mumps. Inside her throat she has a big white mass like a ball of puss. She has a fever cannot hardly open her mouth very sore throat chills ear ache temp of 38 and flu like symptoms. I got her out of bed to come to the hospital very ill.
Receptionist -good
Triage - good
Phlebotomist - very nice but couldn't get blood not their fault
2nd phlebotomist managed to take blood eventually - very nice member of staff
First nurse - put in a cubical with a small screen across and sat in the chairs of non patients whilst a man was laying in the bed half naked.

First doctor comes in very quiet spoken. Asked all the normal question name DOB etc. The doctor then looked up at the ceiling and said oh I've got one more question but I've forgotten it, and then said I just go and ask the doctor. I thought this was a clip from faulty towers. The doctor comes back and ask iffy daughter has ever had this before!! Then it just went from bad to worse. The doctor did not have a clue, and kept gong in and out coming back asking a stupid question. The doctor said I don't know what to do now I go and get a doctor.

The second dr comes on and said my daughter has tonsillitis although she had no tonsils!! So the dr said laryngitis or pharyngitis or streptococcal (either way it was something to do with thus big white ball of poison in her neck) which the dr hadn't seen yet . I told the dr what I had seen so the dr asked the 1st doctor if they had looked in her mouth with a tongue depressor, and the reply was "No". The first dr asked the second to go find one, but the second returned 2 minutes later unable to find one. The second dr then went out to find one they were a little while looking.

It was getting laughable if my daughter wasn't so ill. Carry on fiilm comes to mind. The second dr eventually see's the white yellow poison mass in my daughter's neck and started telling the 1st doctor what medication to prescribe. The second dr said to my daughter that you have a fever it must be very sore and painful, and prescribed her very strong pain killers penicillin. The second dr told the 1st doctor to write out the prescription. The nurse was also trying to get in the half of a cubical tripping up every body and the small screen and I could see the half naked make starting to get dressed. I looked around and wondered why they never put us in a proper cubicle there were many empty.

Now the fun really started whilst we waited fir a prescription. After 15 mins I looked to see the first doctor still sitting down reading the notes . So I asked how long it would be for the prescriptions we had been there 4 hours by this time. My daughter has a four month old baby at home and they were aware of this. We didnt want to bring her so she was with relatives. The first doctor said 5 minutes. After another 15 minutes I looked and the dr was still sitting there no prescription. I asked when it was going to be done, and the dr said "I don't know where they are". So I am very placid but this wasn't gummy anymore. My daughter just needed to .

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 10 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s experience in our Emergency Department. It must have been a worrying time for you both – thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. To be able to investigate this further I will need more details from you. I would like to identify whether this was a doctor working with us as an employee or locum so I can then take the appropriate action Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Stephen Burgess
Medical Director

Scarred gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

In was in triage queuing for epidural, didn't get one.

Hello,

I am very unhappy about doctors no cooperating with midwives. And also the staff is not cooperating between one another.

I was in labour, I came to triage because I was not able to stand the pain and ask for epidural. After the check, I was told that my cervix is 5 cm wide and I will be 3rd person in the line for epidural. So I waited. after 2-3 hours, different staff person came (shift has changed),and told me that I will not get it,because all the doctors are not available for me. I told this lady that I am waiting for epidural. She told me that hospital is too busy and there are no free beds so either I stay in triage with my husband, all other beds were empty by that time, or I can go to Birth Centre to the swimming pool and at least midwife will look after me, otherwise no one will check me.
I was in a really bad pain. I thought it is better to be checked by midwife and give birth instead of waiting until someone else will give birth and give the bed for me. I agree to go to Birth centre and asked that lady if the doctor can come there and give an epidural, she said yes. Long story short, in Birth Centre I was told no one else will come. I was pushing for 1.5 hours, the baby's head got stuck, I tried to push harder so my baby won't suffer. My husband asked for forceps or vacuum to be used to help me. But we were told that midwife is not doing that, so we asked to ask someone to come from the hospital, it is the same building !!!! We were told that we chose to give birth here and no help will be available (can you believe it,second rejection same labour)(My primary choice was to give birth in the hospital which I was denied). I. finally managed to push the baby out. I had lots of tears. the next shift came, that lady had to sew me for 3 hours, and she wasn't able to give any more antiseptic so I was feeling every stitch.She was telling me and my husband that I should have asked for epidural, which I did, because I am too sensitive and it is hard for her to do her job.
I am happy that my baby is well. But I had to go through hell. In my opinion, it shouldn't be the case in 21st century. After giving birth, I wasn't able to sit down for a month, I was bleeding heavily for 2.5 months and just find out that there is a piece of placenta or something else left in my uterus.

I talked to quite a few first time Mums and found only one more that found giving birth was difficult, for the rest of them it was quite quick and pain was manageable.

I told my health visitor the story,because she asked my how was my labour. She was surprised to see that I am in such a bad condition and advice me to write a review, so hopefully it won't happen to anyone else.

If midwives from Birth centre would cooperate with doctors from the hospital and staff from different shifts it wouldn't be this way.

Even thought after birth staff was supporting and I liked the facilities and food , but I couldn't recommend this hospital t

Visited in April 2014. Posted on 09 August 2014