Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Madman gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Worst emergency service done by an hospital

On 01 October of 2014 my girlfriend get in this hospital at 12 am, with pain on chest and back, without conditions to stand she ask for a bed to lay down, while waiting for a doctor to be attended and that bed was rejected. Because they said that they don't have any bed for her, but we see there was so many beds not occupied, and she have to wait in a room without condition for her problem. And no one care about that situation. We have been waiting until 8 am for any kind of conditions for her and nothing happens. And she have to wait in miserable conditions to be attended in a waiting room.

For us, it was the worst hospital operating with our taxs!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 01 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 06 October 2014

I am very sorry to hear about your girlfriend’s experience in our Emergency Department. To be able to investigate this for you, I will need more information. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk so I am able to investigate this for you.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Maternity ward 07/10/14 - morning. Excellent service

I visited queens hospital 07/10/14 in the morning at 11am unfortunately me and my friend had ended up on maternity ward I was there to visit my dad, he was on day unit, I was unsure what to do and who to speak to. A lady approached us and was very welcoming and polite, asked if we needed any help/ if we was alright? I was very stressed on arrival as I am not from this area and 2nd time getting lost in the hospital however, speaking to this lady she was listening and understanding, offered me a cup of tea and toast and also directed and had took us to where my dad was.

I believe this excellent service is much appreciated and need more staff like this at reception area.

I did make my way back in the afternoon to the maternity ward around 4pm to thank them however she left for the day.

Thanks.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 13 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for your kind words. It's always lovely to hear when our staff go above and beyond to ensure our patients and their families are well looked after. We have some wonderful staff in our Maternity department and they will be pleased to hear your comment.

Tan gave Gynaecology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Endometriosis surgery at Queens, Hospital.

I had surgery for endometriosis yesterday at Queens hospital and the level of care was excellent.
I have been to this hospital on numerous occasions during the past few months and have to say that every member of staff I have come into contact with has been lovely and really helpful. Even though there was a Strike yesterday this dos not affect any of the services at Queens and the level of care was 10/10.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

I'm very pleased that over the past few months when you have visited our hospital you have found all our staff to be helpful and welcoming. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us on NHS Choices.

Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Children's & Adolescent Services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Childs Tonsillectomy

I took my 7 uear old son to Queens yesterday to have a tonsillectomy. I have in the past read and heard some negative comments about the servicve at Queens so I was a bit apprehensive to have my son treated there.
So I must say in all honesty that the service my son and I received was excellent from start to finish. When we arrived at 7.30 am as my son entered Tropical Bay ward,he became emotional as he did not want the operation, a nurse spotted it straight away and came over and calmed him down. He was given a bed and we were informed of how the day would work. He was made to feel comfortable and then we had a tour of the ward, which was clean and tidy. There is lots for the children to do to keep them occupied my son was given a TV and PS2 for the end of his bed. We were kept informed of where we were on the list and how long it should take to get in.
When it was his turn to go to theatre again he became emotional, all the staff involved worked at calming him down. The theatre staff again kept me informed of all that was/ would happen and how long I would have to wait.
When he came back to the ward the staff took care of him straight away, he had food and something to drink as soon as he could manage it. He stayed on the ward for 6 hours before being discharged and in that time the ward staff checked on him at various times. I left the ward twice to call my wife, I only did this because I was confident he was in safe hands.
I must say that all the staff that I came into contact with were friendly, courteous and professional. Well done to all the staff who cared for my son.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 13 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 October 2014

Thank you for sharing your son's experience with us. It can be a scary time for children coming in to our hospital for operations, however it is wonderful to know that our staff were able to calm your son and reassure you both. The fact that you felt able to leave your son on our ward to make a phone call to your husband shows how highly you thought of our staff.

Nick G gave Neurology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Excellent - Consultant and Neurophysiology, Queen's

I saw a Consultant Neurophysiologist at Queens for an EMG and nerve conduction test.

The consultant is clearly a very capable doctor and she has an excellent caring manner with patients. She explained the tests clearly and gave me the opportunity to ask questions. She then conducted the tests with great care and professionalism. She is knowledgeable and experienced and also has a kind attitude towards her patients. I had read on the internet that these tests can cause a little pain but they don't - just perhaps a little discomfort for a few seconds and this perhaps reflects the experience of this consultant.

The other staff in Neurophysiology were also helpful, friendly and courteous. If you have these tests done I believe you will be in very good hands with the consultant and the wider team. This was my first visit this hospital so I extend my thanks to Neurophysiology and to Queen's.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 14 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 October 2014

It’s great to hear about your experience – thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I’m pleased that you found our consultant to have an excellent caring manner. Our aim is for all our patients to have an experience like yours.

Vicki Deliw reviewed General Surgery at Queen's Hospital

Excellent staff in SAU and theatre 5 on the 10th October

Was terribly nervous about my first proper operation yesterday.... Even though I've had two c- sections, this was under a general anaesthetic and I was terrified. the staff both in the SAU and theatre 5 were very kind. I didn't have to wait long,they explained things very clearly to me and the anaesthetist particularly put me at ease. Even though I was a blubbering mess they were very understanding and respectful and one lovely nurse even held my hand while I was going under. Can't thank them enough for getting me through and so quickly. Wish I could tell them in person but maybe they will see this. Now realise I had nothing to worry about!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 10 October 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 October 2014

It’s great to hear about your experience in our operating theatres. Our staff work hard to make sure our patients are reassured and calm, at what can be quite a stressful time. They will welcome your feedback.

Medical Director

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Very poor treatment

My elderly mother was admitted to Queens in the early hours of Sunday morning having fallen in her care home. It was not until late Sunday evening that she was finally moved to an assessment ward. When we visited her on the following day she had been taken for a scan before being brought back and placed in another person's bay despite the obvious different name. The staff found this mildly amusing especially the porter. Finally she was moved to a ward and was there for several days before being discharged. During that time we had trouble to get information about her condition or results of tests she had as there seemed to be no system for recording this information. The ward receptionist was next to useless and kept referring us to nurses who never seemed to be there. Finally when she was discharged the care home found a gash on her arm which was unexplained and there was nothing in her discharge notes referring to this. A woeful state of affairs.

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 17 October 2014

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 2 stars

A Monday night of hell in A&E

In short, arrived at 10.00 p.m.Monday night/ Triage 11.00 p.m./seen by doctor 0300 hours Tuesday morning/blood test and chest x-ray done quite quickly.Was accompanying elderly parents, who really are not up to sitting in the waiting area all night - much younger fitter people were treated and discharged way sooner.Went to reception desk a couple of times, where the lady clearly needs to be retrained in customer care - she arrogantly ignored me at the window....all it would have taken is a, i'll be with you shortly comment !

Chased results and doctor up several times and finally lost the plot at about 0600 hours, where i had to go into Majors and more or less drag him out.His treatment and attitude was totally acceptable, but the delay not for people in their late 70's.I then had to point out that a catheter was still in my fathers arm, and needed removing.I honestly believe that had i not got mad and chased things up, my parents would have been sitting there until god knows when, with the left over drunks having a sleep.

We left at around 06.30 - about 8.5 hours with no proper place to sit, no sleep or anything to eat !!

Visited in October 2014. Posted on 23 October 2014

Anonymous reviewed Pain Management at Queen's Hospital

Pain clinic

I too have been waiting for a letter to be sent to my GP recommending morphine for my pain. It has now been 4-5 weeks and countless phone calls to consultants secretary and had same excuses as previous reviewer had. Also contacted PALS with similar excuses. Needless to say, I find it disgraceful treatment of a patient -whoever is at fault!

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014

JThom89 gave Neurosurgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Outstanding staff care

My grandad was admitted to Sahara B Saturday 27th September after a bleed on the brain. Unfortunately he had a second bleed and was taken to the neuro critical ward. During his stay both he and the family were treated with respect. Much to our devastation he passed away peacefully on Monday 29th September. The staff allowed us to have 12 family members in his private room to say our goodbyes. Leading up to that the nurses took the time to sit with us and bring us refreshments. One nurse was quite emotional when he died which was very touching. Thank you to all of the staff for your care and kind acts over that weekend. It definitely provided some peace for us during a terrible time

Visited in September 2014. Posted on 22 October 2014