Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

Colin Grainger gave Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Exceptional service from two departments in one week

* please note, cannot fill in category below correctly as I visited two departments, radiology and ENT...however....

Queens Hospital, Romford, staff have provided exceptional service on many occasions to members of my direct and extended families.
In the last seven days I experienced it again first hand.
First, the ENT staff were caring, kind and considerate in dealing with my hearing test and consultation. They gave advice, concern and care...with a smile.
There is always very little waiting, and the department is spotless.

For over 20 years now I have been experiencing bad headaches and the condition is manageable, but having recently been diagnosed with an uneractive thyroid which is making life a bit more difficult, the headaches have also increased in intensity. It has taken me six months to get a referal for an MRI scan from my GP, but I finally got one and after phoning up as instructed to book the test, I got an apology from the clinic saying I had to bring the letter in for an appointment to be arranged. No problem, I did, but was a little disappointed to be told there might be a wait of two to three months.
I received an appointment for few weeks later - at 10.40pm. An initiative designed to cut waiting times, I suspect, and a good one.
I was prepared for the visit and then to my amazement received a call on the day (yesterday) asking me if I would like to come in three hours earlier. I did. Got seen by reception at 7.40pm a minute after I got there, and was having the scan five minutes later. All the staff were exceptionally helpful and professional and I was home by 8.35pm! Thank you

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 August 2015

I'm so pleased our staff treated you so well, and that you were able to be seen earlier than anticipated. We are making use of our scanners during the evening as well as in the day to reduce waiting times for our patients Thank you for taking the time to share your story on NHS Choices.

Interim Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Staff do not know what sickle cell Amenia is

I attended the hospital as a sufferer of SCD who had a painful crisis and I was not given any treatment. I waited in the hospital for hours without being seen and was not given any medication to deal with the pain like the usual procedure that would take place at other hospitals. It was clear that this hospital did not know how to deal with Sickle cell patients and thus abandoned me. A trained doctor even went as far as saying that I did not have the disease despite being diagnosed from birth and suffering from the disease daily. I was so dissapointed by the lack of care that I discharged myself. This is not the first time that the hospital has shown a lack of care. Several years ago I had phenomena and I was told that it was a cold. This was life threatening as if I had not gone to another hospital to get checked I would have been seriously ill as I already have sickle cell disease.

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 August 2015

Thank you for leaving your comment on NHS Choices. I am concerned to hear about your experience, and want to make sure this investigated. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Roy Williams reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital

Day surgery

Attended the day surgery unit at Queens Hospital today, for pre op test, the nurse that delt with me was fantastic , kept me informed and explained everything really put my mind at rest and the nurse that makes our health service great . Thanks

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 August 2015

It's great to hear your feedback when you visited Theatres at Queen's. We have a great team who work hard to make sure our patients feel reassured and relaxed when having procedures. They will appreciate your comments.

A&E

Presented my mother at A&E with a doctors referral. 48 minutes to see triage, 4.5 hours waitng to see medic after blood tests and ECG, a further 2.5 hours in ERU waiting for some action. ECG machine not working. 7.5 after arriving a chest X ray was needed. Why did it take so long and why was there no communication. 82 years old and treated with complete disregard!

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 06 August 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 17 August 2015

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry you were disappointed that you were not kept informed as to how you long it would be until your mother would receive a test in our Emergency Departments. It would be helpful to hear more details, so we can learn from what happened. Please contact me through our PALS team on 01708 435 454, or by email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Roy Williams reviewed Ear, Nose & Throat at Queen's Hospital

Day surgery

Attended the day surgery unit at Queens Hospital today, for pre op test, the nurse that delt with me was fantastic , kept me informed and explained everything really put my mind at rest. They are the type of nurse that makes our health service great . Thanks

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 September 2015

I am pleased to hear that you have been treated well by pre-op nurse you met at Queen’s Hospital, and if you have the nurses name I will ensure that this is personally passed onto them. The name can be sent to PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.Thank you for sharing you experience on NHS Choices.

Interim Chief Nurse

Anonymous gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Professional yet so friendly

I know all hospitals on the NHS struggle with funding and are so overworked. I had a head injury that was causing me so much pain I didn't sleep for over a week, queens nurses and doctors were not only so hard working and got me on all the medication I need, but so unbelievably friendly too as the pain was intense and I was alone. I wish that everyone who has to visit queens get the level of care I did. I am truly grateful.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 16 August 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 September 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS choices. I am really pleased you received the care you needed. Our staff work hard to give our patients excellent care and I will really enjoy passing on your comment to our staff. I do hope that your pain has now resolved

Peter reviewed Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital

Queens AE mis diagnoses

I attended queens AE , with a severe ongoing headache, I was seen by triage nurse who kindly gave pain relief that helped, but as my pulse was fast wanted an ECG, and blood tests, so far all ok I was then sent to majors lite , where I saw a doctor who at first was treating my headache, as I suffer from angina I do at times suffer some chest pain,
The doctor then came to me and asked if I had any chest pain, i answerd yes but was not to bad , the doctor then told me that a blood test was slightly elevated, and would have to stay a bit longer, I was sent to a ward, where I saw another doctor who told me I had suffered a minor heart attack, of course shocked by this I went along with it, 5 days later still in a ward , I was then seen by a consultant who then says that I hadn't suffered a heart attack at all, all in all I spent 8 days in hospital off work, caused worry and upset to me and my family, given drugs for the heart, an angiogram, which was all a waste of NHS resources, why isn't there some one senior to over see , I was seen by several doctors all of which said I had a heart attack , all of which was based on blood tests.
Disgraceful, and also pals haven't responded to my last two emails regards this, so what's the point in them.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 17 August 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 September 2015

Thank you for your comment on NHS Choices. I'm sorry to hear that there was confusion around your diagnosis and would like to get this sorted for you. I am concerned to hear about your experience in our hospital. I want to make sure that your concerns are looked into. Please contact me through our PALS team with more information on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Medical Director

Jo Osborne gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Fantastic Care

My Father was rushed to Queens this morning after suffering a stroke. I cannot praise his care and the care provided to his relatives enough. You hear such bad things about the hospital but I cannot thank them enough.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 17 August 2015

Queen's Hospital replied on 02 September 2015

Thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I'm so pleased your father received excellent care, and that you also felt supported at what must have been a frightening time for you all. The staff are always grateful for feedback

Carina gave Maternity services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Could not be happier

I had my baby here on the 1st August. I was booked in to be induced on the 31st July, from the minute I came for my appointment the staff were very friendly and informative. Later that afternoon my contractions started and I was transferred to the labour ward. I had group strep b so had to be on it antibiotics. The midwives were amazing and even when it got tough at the end they were keeping us well informed the whole way. We then had to stay in for 3 days as both myself and the baby needed antibiotics. The staff were all so friendly and the baby nurses were my favourite. So lovely and gentle and I felt like I could ask them anything if I had any concerns without being judged. We were lucky enough to have a side room and my husband was able to stay with me. It was my first time in a hospital and the food was much better than I would have expected.

After hearing bad reviews I would a little bit worried. However there is not one bad word I can say about my experience at queens. I am so grateful for the care and information I received during my stay. All the staff were absolutely amazing and I can't thank them all enough.

Visited in August 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Anonymous gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Appointment times

Arrived 15 minutes before appointment time due to unexpected parking space on ground floor in car park. Reported to clinical diagnostic unit reception. Heard the receptionist ring the nurse to let them know. Appointment time arrived. It was the first one of the afternoon clinic, they had not left their afternoon list with the reception, but there was no-one booked in before. Ten minutes later, a trolley appeared in the corridor with the equipment the nurse needed. Five minutes after that, they called my husband's name. No wonder appointments run late if staff don't start on time. Why not just start the clinic late if they know they aren't going to see patients according to the appointment time the staff made?

Visited in July 2015. Posted on 27 August 2015

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.