Queen's Hospital

Telephone: 01708 435000
Address: Rom Valley Way, Romford, Essex, RM7 0AG
Website: http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk

moomoo33 gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

A&E department

I came to A&E last week. Very quickly saw a triage nurse, so I thought all was going well. I had an injury to my wrist. She tried to pull off my engagement ring even though I said it would not come off. It was only when I screamed at her to stop pulling that she did. I was left with a swollen bruised finger for a week following.

Went off to x-ray, all good. Told to go to urgent care centre and saw a doctor. The rudest, most unpleasant doctor I've ever met. I had no examination, she spoke to me like a piece of rubbish and even insinuated my symptoms were lies. Told me to take pain killers and escorted me out the door all in the space of five minutes.

How incredibly ignorant and disrespectful. Teach your staff some manners, some are not fit to be doctors.

The following week I went to St Thomas' Hospital, where I was diagnosed properly and shown respect and received the treatment Queens should have given me.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

Anonymous gave General Surgery at Queen's Hospital a rating of 3 stars

My stay at queens

A/e reception staff very rude and unhelpful then few months later was admitted for my op food was very bland and unappetising water changed just once a day so in warm weather not very nice Toilets very dirty and smelly bathrooms the same Nursing staff very nice considering how busy they are

Visited in June 2013. Posted on 29 August 2014

Queen's Hospital has not yet replied.

Ann Harding gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Hospital stay

I entered the hospital after a visit to A&E then on to clementine ward for pneumonia, after I came back from intensive care at king georges I went to bluebell ward the whole experience was top class, I would say that after having bad press this hospital has definitely got its act together. Highly recommended

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 29 August 2014

charlotte gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

so happy with hdu visit

I'd love to give my praises to all the staff who were so helpful in making sure I've been seen quickly and thoroughly. I had to go to HDU today for an iron infusion and even though they only found out about the appointment that morning they were so good about getting me in that same day and making sure I got the care I needed even though they were full to the brim. I had a lovely lady dealing with me and I could not give her enough praise, she helped calm my nerves and was so pleasant to be around even though she was rushed off her feet. Thank you so much to her and everyone else.

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

I’m thrilled to hear about the excellent care you received in our Maternity service – thank you for sharing this on NHS Choices. Our midwives run a very busy department, and aim to deliver quality care to all our patients. I’m glad our staff were able to put your nerves at ease at a stressful time.

John Griffiths gave Urology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Prostate one stop Clinic at King Georges Barley Lane

Here is an abridged version of the letter I wrote to the NHS after visiting the "one stop clinic for Prostate Cancer" I know it sounds like you are popping in for a tyre change however the service is exemplorery.
After a raised PSA test I was sent to the consultant at King Georges Hospital, after a nervous wait all my anxiety and worries were dealt with in the most proffesional, curtious and calm manner. Now after a chat and a biopsy I await more results, however may I congratulate the staff for a service that should be sung from the rooftops. Well done them and the NHS.
Not lucky perhaps to wearing quite so quickly however I won the lottery of life when I was born in the UK and under the umbrella of our health system.
Thanks again to the NHS.

John Lester Griffiths.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 21 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

Thank you for leaving your feedback on NHS Choices John, and helping us to share the excellent work that happens within our hospitals. The fact that you have described our Urology Department as exemplary tells me about the quality of care you received from our staff. They will be very pleased to know you feel this way.

Amanda gave Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Day surgery ward and theatre staff

Can't find a option for day surgery ward reviews so I'm afraid I'm putting it here,hope it reaches them.After a mix up when I was in before (finding out on surgery day I have 3 lots of notes as no one has bothered to file them,so 2 were ignored )and long wait to get the surgery my faith in queens had gone ,but i came in to the day surgery ward on 12th August 2014 to finally get my demon gallbladder out, on the ward the nurses could not have been any friendlier , I was kept informed at all times, had obs done, saw 3 anaesthetists and the surgeon before my opp,all explained everything to me,asked loads of questions (they all asked the same questions but least they were being thorough and making sure ) I got took to theatre (was so nervous) lovely nurse and 1 of the anaesthetists kept me chatting and telling me what's going on till I was put to sleep which was so nice of them, I woke up in recovery room in complete agony but with 3 nurses by my side,1 had the morphine and anti sickness to hand which I was given within minutes (thank god) , taken back to the ward,obs done,given water,tea,biscuits n even offered a sandwich,the nurse that dealt with me most stayed close and kept asking if I wanted anything,helped me to the loo and made me feel like I wasn't any bother and could ask her for help(my previous stay in gyny ward I felt like I was being a bother just asking for some water) the nurse rung the surgeon once I was up,dressed,n I my eyes ready to go home,the surgeon came to review me within an hour of being asked(he was in surgery till then) and let me go home(my previous stay I waited 19 hours after a doc was called for the to arrive) I really cannot fault any of the staff on this stay or the treatments received , the surgeon even managed to avoid cutting my tattoos which I thought he wouldn't of even tried to avoid(I wouldn't of minded if he ruined them) but he gave that extra effort not to ...thank you so much to everyone that was involved in my care that day, you have proved that not all departments are as bad as the gyny , n there are some genuinely lovely staff there

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

I’m pleased that after the initial mix-up with your medical records, you had a very positive experience in our day surgery. Our staff work hard every day to ensure all our patients receive excellent care, and they’ll be thrilled to know how highly you thought of them.

Amanda gave Anaesthesia services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

1st time I've been happy with queens

Normally I hate queens with a passion and have no faith in them at all but I had an opp on 12th August 2015 I was on day surgery ward, all the staff was great,couldn't of been more friendly and helpful,the anesthatist was brilliant I had what I think was a newly trained/training guy and a more superior guy and a woman that I think was top dog, they were all so nice , kept telling me what they was doing the whole time and the lovely guy that seemed to be teaching the other chatted to me the hole time as I was so nervous . I've had such bad experienced with the hospital in the past but this really was surprising how good everyone was , thank you to the staff if they read this

Visited in August 2014. Posted on 14 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 27 August 2014

Your experience has been a pleasure to read, and I am very thankful you have shared this with us on NHS Choices. I’m pleased our staff were able to reassure you throughout your procedure when you were feeling nervous. I’m sorry that your previous experiences have not been as positive, but it’s great to know that we have provided you with excellent care within our Anaesthesia service.

Medical Director

Clare Moon gave Accident and emergency services at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Felt invisible and all control taken away

Emergency admission for suspected meningitis. Terrible! Control completely taken away and left uninfomed. for example, registrar left mid conversation to get my MRI results and never returned. Despite results of lumbar puncture coming back and notes updated before he left in the evening, i was never informed that i was clear of meningitis and was told later that night by a nurse once i threatened to discharge myself. Felt invisible - Frequent conversations between staff that were totally inappropriate criticising other departments or colleagues and the standard of the hospital in general. Wheeled into theatre waiting room and left in a corner for 15 minutes without any communication. Received iv injection without even asking me first. Seems the staff have forgotten they are treating fellow human beings. I did discharge myself in the end and I am glad I did. I feel sorry for anyone who has to experience that environment. I have a catalogue of issues with my experience and will send details to the trust exec in the hope of a response.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear about your experience in our Emergency Department – I am very concerned to hear about this, and about the inappropriate comments made by our staff. I would like to investigate this further, but will need more information from you. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Cardiology at Queen's Hospital a rating of 1 stars

Age discrimination and unacceptable waiting times.

As I am in my early twenties, I am tired of being discriminated by the medical profession for not taking health matters seriously, they claim I am young but babies and young children are treated, are they not too young then? The whole process in cardiology is disorganised and discriminatory.

Consultants do not turn uo, time, travel and money is wasted to discover the consultant is on holiday and no one knows- how disgraceful. and the patient is not informed in advance either. Looks like ther is a sverfe shortage of staff.

Where is the friendliness from the staff and explanations of each stage of the process too, and ther is a lack of involvement in decisions between medical staff, non medical staff and patients.

The consutants will try to manipulate symptoms so that treatment is not given, this is not dignity and respect for us..

I could not make one of the appointments so I am made to wait 6 months for the next follow up appointment., it will be 10 months sionce the initial appointment, there is a history of heart trouble in my family too and the hospital has no patient care or attention.

The NHS ombudsman needs to inspect and investigate this hospital.

There is a patient charter that no one even tries to remember.

This is not the place to attend.

Visited in March 2014. Posted on 13 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you for commenting on NHS Choices. I am very sorry to hear about your experience, and that you have had to wait such a long time for a follow-up appointment. For me to look into this further for you I require more information. In the meantime, I have passed your comment onto the manager of this service. Please contact me via our PALS team on 01708 435 454 or email PALS@bhrhospitals.nhs.uk.

Anonymous gave Maternity service at Queen's Hospital a rating of 5 stars

Labour and newborn readmission

I wanted to leave some positive feedback as you only seem to hear the negative reviews. I had my daughter at Queens Hospital on 27th July and was really happy with the level of services provided by all the staff. I was admitted to the antenatal ward on Friday 25th July to be induced and every point of my treatment was explained in detail and any questions I had were answered quickly and clearly. After a few attempts I was finally ready to deliver on Sunday afternoon and although it was a long weekend I was well looked after. The midwife that delivered my daughter was cool and calm after the labour established and escalated quickly and put me at ease. Treatment in the postnatal ward was also brilliant and we were well looked after and both my daughter and I checked over thoroughly before being discharged on Monday afternoon. Unfortunately my daughter was readmitted on Wednesday 30th August with a suspected infection but we were again well looked after by all staff at the hospital. Brilliant staff - professional and friendly to the end.

Visited in July 2014. Posted on 12 August 2014

Queen's Hospital replied on 15 August 2014

Thank you so much for leaving your kind words on NHS Choices. Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. It always lovely to hear about our patients’ positive experiences, and I’m delighted to know that you thought our midwives brilliant.